Gianna's Grit | βœ“

By sillywhims

Book 1, First Generation Gianna Kingsley only came back to the rundown southside neighborhood for a funeral... More

i. introduction + forewarning
I: Bad News
II: Draw First, Ask Later
III: Holy Gumbo, Who are You?
IV: My Old Friend the Target
V: Leave it to the Photo Albums
VI: Cleanup, Standup
VII: We Need to Talk
VIII: No One's the Same Forever
IX: Scarface Anthem
X: Permitted Grilling
XI: I Feel it Coming
XII: Laid to Rest
XIII: Just Like That
XIV: Make a List
XV: Back to the Grind
XVI: Back to the House
XVII: And I Don't Mean the Juice
XVIII: All Wound Up
XIX: After the Fall
XX: Ring a Bell
XXI: Family Time
XXII: Quick Check
XXIII: Guess Who's Back
XXIV: We All Bleed Red
XXV: Trying Times
XXVI: No Sir
XXVII: Turning Point
XXIX: Time Flies like Bullets
XXX; *EXTRA* Family Reunion

XXVIII: No Air, No Air

4.4K 311 25
By sillywhims

GIANNA

I knew I wasn't supposed to, but the state of the house was irking me to my core. So, I began cleaning. I lifted heavy laundry baskets that Zion would be furious at seeing in my hands and rushed from one side of the house to the other. Lately, I was barely able to make it out of bed before Zion zipped to my side ready to both assist and baby me.

Even at Kadeem's first birthday party a week ago, Zion hadn't allowed me to do more than cut the first slice of cake. No, I had to 'sit on the couch and relax' unless I was snapping pictures.

His methods were as affectionate as they were annoying. With my bump beginning to show, he'd grown even more attentive. He didn't let me leave the house without him and a slew of Tags, much less have anyone inside our home.

So, I was even happier to open the door and usher in David and Malachi. They'd called earlier saying Georgia wanted them to check on me and bring me dishes of hers that I enjoyed. Who was I to refuse peanut butter cookies and jambalaya?

I set the platter of cookies on the counter and began eating them immediately, "I have been craving these like crazy. You wouldn't believe how many jars of peanut butter I've finished just this week."

"You sure it's alright for us to be here, Gi?" David asked as they hesitantly sat on the couch. "King's been really wound up lately. I can't have a cap in my ass."

Malachi nodded, "Yeah, where is he at anyway?"

I swallowed my cookie before answering, "He went to pick up Kadeem from his grandmother's house."

"Whose kid is that anyway," Malachi continued, "one of King's baby mommas'?"

"King's only 'baby momma' is me," I assured him confidently, "and I'm sure we'll get married before I give birth."

"What about the baby shower?" Malachi eyed my stomach. "Are you ever gonna be able to see your family long enough to have one?"

I smiled excitedly and grabbed my nearby vision book. I brought it to the couch and sat between them, "I have it all planned out. I want gender neutral colors since I want to surprise Zi—King at the very end of the party."

David looked it over, "This doesn't look half that bad."

"Good, then just make sure your wives pick out the gifts," I joked before standing. I was just picking up the book when the front door opened. My smile fell as King's eyes met mine. "Hi."

My boyfriend looked around the room, his eyes shifting between the two brothers before settling on me again.

I rushed to settle his nerves before he blew up. I came to his front and took Kadeem before kissing him long and hard, "Hi, baby."

He held me close, but turned to my cousins, "Get out."

The two older men jumped up and muttered low apologies. They nodded farewell as I became upset.

Zion slammed the door behind them and set down the diaper bag and little suitcase before frowning down at me, "Why are you crying?"

I veered away from his hands, "You didn't have to make them leave, Zion."

"They know they should be here," he said simply. "You know that they shouldn't be here."

"You're barely even home anymore," I cried, only becoming more upset. "I try so hard to follow your rules but I'm lonely, Zion."

He shook his head, "Call your friends—"

"My friends are at work," I huffed.

"Finish your vision journals—"

"I finished all three of them and finalized the decorations in Kadeem's nursery so now two cradles are in there," I bounced the baby lovingly.

"They can't be coming in and out of this house, Gianna," he said for the thousandth time. "You know—"

"I'm suffocating, Zion!" I yelled, walking to set Kadeem down in his playpen. I returned to the grown man and crossed my arms as I cried, "I can't stay in this house 24/7 and not be lonely."

"Don't act like this is a jail cell—"

"It feels like one!" I scoffed. "I can only go outside when you and the Tags are with me, I can't see my family face to face and they're right down the road!"

"What do you want from me—"

"I want to breathe!" I screamed.

Zion's chest heaved as we stared one another down, Kadeem's cries breaking the tense silence between us. Zion rushed up the staircase, leaving me to comfort the crying baby as I sobbed myself.

Kadeem had finished his lunch half an hour later when Zion rushed down the staircase, jackets and shoes in hand.

I approached him, my temple still thumping, as he pulled out one of the dining chairs, "What are you—"

"Sit down," he demanded. I obeyed and he replaced my slippers with socks and shoes. He stood me up and helped me into a jacket before moving onto Kadeem, cleaning his face and hands as he went.

He passed Kadeem to me, grabbed the diaper bag, and swung open the front door.

I stayed right where I was, "Where are we going?"

"You wanna breathe? Then get in the car," he said before motioning for me to exit the house first.

Zion opened the door for me and took Kadeem, strapping him in before shutting both of our doors.

It didn't take long for me to realize that he was driving us downtown. I peeked in the rear view mirror and saw two other black cars following close behind us. I immediately knew they were Tags and wasn't surprised, "Where are you taking us, Zion?"

He grasped my hand and brought it to his lips for a kiss, "Trust me, ma."

He glanced at me long enough for me to see the sincerity in his eyes, "Okay. I trust you."

He smiled and kissed my hand again, simply holding it against his lips afterwards. We arrived at a large park not even ten minutes later, Zion quickly rounding the car and ushering us out towards it.

He kissed me soundly before taking my hand again, leading me to the sidewalk. We walked around the playground and park, switching Kadeem between us until he fell asleep on my chest. I silenced my alarm for his nap. We stayed there until the sun began to set. Zion ushered us back into the car and drove a few more minutes to an elite high rise.

I gasped at our surroundings as he herded next into an elevator and down the hall. He unlocked the door and smiled to me. I quirked an eyebrow at his suspicious attitude, "What's going on?"

He pushed the door open and there were my friends and relatives. I hurriedly shushed then, motioning to the still-sleeping Kadeem on my chest. I surveyed the large living space and decor before turning to speak with Zion. His space was empty until I looked down.

I gasped and one of my aunts took Kadeem from me carefully, allowing me to bring both hands to my mouth in shock.

Zion kneeled on one knee, and revealed a diamond engagement ring, "For every second I've known you, you've given me a reason to be a better person. I don't want to watch you leave again. Gianna Kingsley, will you marry me—"

"YES!" I practically screamed, having restrained myself as long as I possibly could. My relatives and friends laughed at my expense, but I was too happy to care. "Hurry so I can kiss you already."

Zion didn't need to be told twice. As soon as he stood, the ring was on my finger. I admired it shortly before kissing him fiercely, channeling every ounce of love his proposal made me feel into our kiss.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you too," he whispered back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

309K 18.9K 64
NOTE: THIS IS A SEQUEL TO EYES ON US STORY! PLEASE READ BOOK ONE FIRST BEFORE READING THIS ONE. STORY ARE FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
978 74 10
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ Callin got on top of Blake, using his legs to...
230K 4.1K 31
βœ“ COMPLETED βœ“ Started: 2nd NOV 2020 Finished: 23th AUG 2021 EDITING! I could feel his gaze on me as my hands slowly reached to the blood coming out...
4.6K 152 16
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ "No no no no..." My words trailed "NO!!" I scre...