Our Paths

Od MooneWriting

After years apart, Geralt and Jaskier finally reunite. But the wounds of their previous encounter still hold... Viac

Chapter 1: An Old Companion
Chapter 2: Rest for the Weary
Chapter 3: Finishing the Job
Chapter 4: Stay
Chapter 5: Snowy Trail
Chapter 6: Town Square
Chapter 7: Departure
Chapter 9: Announcement
Titles?
Title and Cover
Chapter 10: Family Affairs
Chapter 11: See You Again

Chapter 8: Final Stretch

1.1K 55 4
Od MooneWriting

The trek didn't last long with the brisk pace that had been set. Occasionally slowed when Geralt had been busied with dealing with monsters only to pick up the pace once more.At such times on their journey, Geralt received a fine payment from not only the Count but also people who wanted to be rid of these monsters. During the occasion they stay in the inn or tavern, Jaskier would sing to large gatherings and earn his share of coin as well.

Matidous rarely spoke to Geralt, and always berated the bard to complain about his behavior. It grated on Geralt's nerves, as he watched his bard barely tolerate their employer. Jaskier wasn't much better, sometimes lashing out at the Count, leaving the poor servants anxious with his outbursts.

But both quickly learned their choices would hurt the knights and staff before it was ever brought to their attention they'd done something to upset the Count. Knowing that, they couldn't help but confront him only to be ignored. Having to leave it at that, they shifted their focus back to the journey at hand. Luckily today would be the last day of their journey on the road for some time.

All that was left, would be to navigate the city and get settled in back at the estate. Yet again they were to be faced with a large expansive property completely separated from the lower class with hall walls and well guarded streets.

People lined the streets as they passed by, Matidous didn't acknowledge the people in the slightest. Rather he barked out orders and pressed their caravan to continue. More and more guards marched behind them the further they continued before at last arriving at the palace.

Jaskier happily strutted into the marvelous structure without even glancing back. He was ushered by staff to take a tour, which he gladly agreed to seeing the attractive guide. She was a little on the older side, but her mature conduct was all the more enticing to the bard.

Alone with Roach, Geralt followed the stable boys and made sure Roach was comfortably settled before wandering the outer structure of the palace. Eventually wandering inside to find Jaskier being chased off by some angry man.

They hadn't even been here a day and already the bard found himself angering the lover of some woman. Still Geralt followed after the bard, easily intimidating the man enough for the guide to rush to the man's side and chastise him. Jaskier laughed, which quickly turned to a groan when Geralt gave a decent jab into his side.

"There's no need for that, Geralt," Jaskier whined. "I didn't even get a chance to bed with her, not a moment. This foul sir is just the jealous type."

"You say that as if you didn't try to seduce my wife," the man fumed.

"All in good fun, I assure you," Jaskier said simply. "Can't another person compliment your wife's fine qualities? I certainly only mentioned a few."

"Sir Witcher, Master Bard," called a young guard who'd traveled with them. "Your room has been prepared."

"Erwin, do you have a moment to spare, dear?"

"For you mother, anything," he replied. "But first I must escort these men to their quarters. Do you mind finding the maids?"

"Yes, yes I know. Come now Barnes, love," she agreed. "We can speak later then."

"Oh so they're your parents, that interesting. I suppose it makes sense. Families do work best when together, don't they," Jaskier commented as he watched the Barnes couple squabble as they left the trio. "You know, for his son you've a much better head about you. Must be your mother, seems a lovely woman."

"Jaskier," Geralt's voice warned.

"I am simply saying what's on my mind. I'm sure you don't mind, do you, Erwin?"

"Course not, sir."

"None of that, I may be a guest here but I don't want to hear any formalities from any of you. Not with that brute Count of yours," Jaskier stated. "Do you think the maids will run us a bath?"

"It will be seen to before dinner," Erwin said. "If not sooner."

"Splendid, did you hear that Geralt? We finally get to bathe in a luxurious palace. You should see the interior, it's almost divine," Jaskier prattled on, as they moved through the halls.

Arriving at their room both found their belongings neatly unpacked in the corner. The staff were busying themselves with sorting out their things and organizing everything as they continued to unpack the small assortment.

"My, you don't have to do all this for us," Jaskier called into their room. "But I'd love a snack if you wouldn't mind?"

"Any preferences?" a maid asked him.

"Hmm, Geralt you in the mood for some wine?" Jaskier thought aloud. "Or perhaps some poultry?"

"Do as you please," Geralt huffed, moving towards his things. "Where's my swords?"

"The Count has ordered for an inspection of all weapons belonging to guests of the estate," Erwin explained. "He has an announcement for dinner this evening as well. I have been assigned the bard's personal guard for the time being."

"He has me," Geralt grumbled.

"You are a guest, Sir Witcher. And without your weapons, the Count believed it in the best interest to provide temporary security for the bard."

"And why would I require more than a witcher by my side? There's something you're keeping from us, isn't there?" Jaskier interrupted slightly annoyed at the false excuses.

"Forgive me, but as of late many bards attending courts have been attacked. We did not intend to offend you or the witcher," Erwin bowed.

"That's not it, I know what to fret about as a bard. I'm no fool," Jaskier pouted. "You were ordered not to tell us I presume?"

"Yes," Erwin nodded, breathing deeply at the truth. "I will not be in your way, witcher. I am simply here to follow the bard."

"No worries, Geralt just doesn't like the pleasantries of the upper class. I'll have to agree they can be quite tedious and rather unfun," Jaskier said. "But I would really prefer it if my dear witcher felt comfortable. When should we expect for his swords to be returned?"

"That is to be decided before the summon."

"You hear that, Geralt, you'll have them back soon," Jaskier patted him going back to explore the doors. "There's so many doors. I mean what are we expected to do with all this extra luxury? Geralt there's another bedroom! And a study, ooh, looks at this bath. Geralt, come see."

Geralt shook his head, but listened to the bard all the same.

"Oh why thank you all for being so hospitable," Jaskier called into the separate room, the large pool being cleaned. "I do not wish to impose, but when do you think we may bathe? It'd be absolutely heavenly if the witcher didn't reek of battle in such a superb environment."

"Within the hour," one young lad called. "It will take time to refill the bath and cool enough to be pleasant to use."

"And what's your name, handsome?" Jaskier strode over, taking in the boy's hazel eyes and trimmed chocolate hair. "I am Jaskier, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Cathred, sir."

"Please, no need for formalities when that Count isn't around, is there?" Jaskier pressed closer, ignoring Geralt's intense gaze. "Now Cathred, tell me. What's a young lad like yourself working for such a foul man."

"Need the money," Cathred busied himself with scrubbing the sides. "Erwin, I didn't think you'd make it back in one piece."

"Ha, you wouldn't be rid of me so easily, brat," Erwin quipped.

"I must ask, is everyone here taken?" Jaskier questioned the room.

"As if that would stop you," Geralt mumbled.

"How offensive, witcher. I'll have you know I only bed with those in unsatisfying relations. It would be wrong to ignore their need to be comforted. I would never be so cruel." Jaskier dramatized. "My I could write a ballad of my generosity. Oh where is my lute?"

"Your lute's not with you?" Geralt's eyes widened. "But I thought your lute was important to you."

"It very much is, now I don't mean to be a bother but I do need my lute. This is no time for pleasantries, so please help me find my lute."

"The Count asked for you to be provided a lute of grandeur," Erwin began.

"I don't care for any instrument but my own," Jaskier growled. "I would like my lute returned to me. And if that can't be I will have a few words with that inconsiderate Count!"

"I can check the storage for it," Cathred announced. "And I'll tell the other servants to aid in our search."

"Thank you," Jaskier sighed. "Geralt, I've had it with that vile man. Once this is over I'd like for us to leave as soon as possible."

"You will continue traveling with me?"

"But of course, I may not have made it entirely clear, now have I? Geralt, I have forgiven you. I know you didn't mean those words, you were upset and I was a tad emotional. Goodness knows I'd have been by your side if I hadn't gotten lost."

"You were lost?"

"Yes, I was hoping to return to the tavern, and wait for you there. Unfortunately I wasn't too keen on heading back from where we'd come from. I ended up running in circles after I'd gathered my things. I truly suffer as a human to wander in the forested mountains at night. I'm quite lucky to have not run into any beasts on the road. Imagine what would've happened then?! I'd surely be a goner."

"You could have died," Geralt spoke softly.

"I didn't obviously," Jaskier absently replied. "Uh would you mind giving us some privacy?"

"You heard the bard, exit the premise immediately," Erwin ordered, chasing out the servants but not moving from the doorway. "I am not to leave you, Jaskier. But I will not intrude."

"Course," Jaskier huffed. "Now, Geralt, you best wipe that guilty expression off your face. If people see they might start getting the idea witchers have feelings. You don't want that now do you?"

"Jask," Geralt sighed. "I should've been there. You're only human,and there were desperate monsters waiting for an easy meal."

"Oh would you stop being so self deprecating. You could have done a lot differently, as could I. For example, I could have at least stayed long enough to return to safety, or taken a different path. I could have gone in search of you much sooner. There are some things we can't control anymore, and the choices we make in the past are just that, in the past. You nor I or anyone could change what's happened, and that's that."

"But-"

"Nope, I won't hear it, dear witcher. Now let us return to the pressing matters," Jaskier challenged. "My precious lute. Dear me, we have to find her, Geralt."

"Your lute's a her?" Geralt smiled.

"Now's not the time for your jokes, Geralt," Jaskier hissed, with a fond look in his blue eyes. "I need her. Erwin, make sure that foolish Count of yours knows he's gone too far. They'll be hell to pay if I notice even the slightest trace of mistreatment."

"I'll send word," Erwin stepped out of the room for a brief moment before returning. "He will know as soon as possible, and the search for your lute continues."

"I suppose we have to wait," Jaskier sighed tiredly. "Geralt lets go check our things. Maybe I simply misplaced her."

"Hmm."

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

894 45 6
When a record breaking storm leaves the entire neighborhood without power just before the holidays, Jaskier is saved from freezing to death when his...
3.7K 128 36
Jaskier in inlove with Geralt. But Geralt being Geralt does not notice. When they go on a journey together Geralt starts to feel strange. He knows he...
491 16 2
A Geraskier Fic. Jaskier is attacked and requires immediate aid of a Healer. Geralt, faced with the prospect of losing the Bard, reflects on the fee...
661 67 8
At some point before the age of 25, you switch with your future self for a day so you can meet your soulmate. This is known as The Swap. Jaskier has...