Shattered Glass

Av ZaraHoffman

Evil stepmother. Broken girl. A prince. No fairy godmother. Elena Parker needs help. Her abusive stepfamily h... Mer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 4

109 5 13
Av ZaraHoffman

After the fifth consecutive restless night, she had hoped to catch a few minutes of peace—maybe even a short nap—in the back corner of the cavernous room. Elena sighed and put down her English book—and immediately held it up again. Apparently, not even the library was a safe place to hide anymore.

Chris sat down, tugged it from her grasp, set it beside him, and leaned forward. "Are you avoiding me?"

She shook her head, staring at the table between them. She couldn't even get through a whole week without seeing one of the James brothers. She hated avoiding them, but it was necessary. All the same, knowing he cared to check in on her made her heart expand. Today, though, she was unable to pretend nothing was wrong directly to his face. "Why would you think that?"

"You haven't talked to me once since I asked if you could come to Homecoming, not even to ask about what my brother is doing." His voice lowered when he said the last part, trailing off for a moment. "Did I upset you?" he added when she remained silent. "Talk to me, Elle."

She lifted her eyes to meet his. "It's nothing to do with you. You could never upset me," she replied tonelessly before picking up her book and walking away.

***

He watched her go, wondering what he could do to reconnect with his old friend enough to get the chance to make her something more. He couldn't get ahead of himself.

Will set his backpack down on a chair and propped his feet on the table. "Well, that didn't seem good."

"You could say that," Chris replied, knocking his brother's heels off the furniture. "Don't you have a fan club to grace with your presence?"

"I'll go tomorrow," his brother quipped. "So? What did she say to you?"

"Next to nothing. I asked her if she was mad at me. She said no, then left. This whole week, she won't look at me, keeps her head down when she walks into our classes and leaves them immediately. I can't pin her down long enough to have a conversation."

"Interesting choice of words..."

"Oh, shut up. That's not what I meant."

"Intended or not on your part, I now have that image stuck in my head—not that I'm complaining or anything."

Christopher clenched his jaw and reminded himself he was in the school library where there were witnesses and the expectation of silence—in short, one of the worst locations to argue with his brother about his feelings for Elena.

"Have you had any better luck?"

"She said hi to me once, but practically ran away when I tried to sustain the conversation." Will scratched his head. "You'd think she was afraid of us."

But why would she have any reason to fear them?

"I don't know," his brother answered.

He hadn't meant to speak out loud.

"She's really changed, huh? Not the same fearless girl who challenged us to climb the backyard trees wearing her skirts."

Chris cracked a smile. "I forgot about that."

His brother rolled his eyes. "No you didn't. What's even more ridiculous is that you actually did it."

"I wasn't going to say no to her."

"You still can't refuse her anything."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Look, I'm all for finding out what changed, but if she doesn't return your feelings, you shouldn't follow her around like a needy puppy."

"And act like I don't care more about her like you do?" he snapped, causing a few people to give them curious looks. "Don't criticize the way I show my affection, and I'll do the same for you."

His brother held up his hands in surrender. "Alright. I'm sorry. I know you're really into her and are just adjusting to the fact that I like her too."

Chris didn't answer immediately. "I still don't understand why you didn't tell me sooner. I know you said I should have noticed it, but I didn't. That shouldn't have stopped you from sharing your crush with me."

"I already am."

"I didn't mean it like that."

"You keep saying that..."

"Are you angry with me?"

"No!" Will lowered his voice. "I'm just in a bad spot, okay? As your brother, I want you to be happy, but for myself, part of me hopes she chooses me instead."

Chris pulled back as if he had been slapped. He had been expecting an answer similar to that, but it didn't diminish the sting of knowing his brother partially wanted him to fail.

"Are you mad I said that?" his brother asked, echoing his earlier question.

"No," he muttered, staring at Elena's empty seat before vacating his own. "I'll see you later, Will," he said.

***

Elena stopped walking when she realized she was boxed in by the James brothers on the Lunch line—Chris in front of her and Will behind her.

"Are you checking out my brother?" Will whispered in her ear, causing her to flinch in surprise.

"No, of course not." She took another step forward, ignoring the way she half-hoped her old friend would turn around and see her. His back muscles were taught, as if he were angry about something. If this were before he moved, she would have hugged him before asking what was wrong. But she couldn't do that now because they weren't that close anymore and moving toward that would most likely only bring Natalia's wrath down harder.

"It's okay if you are," Will prodded.

"But I'm not," she replied, looking at him over her shoulder. "So leave it alone."

"Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

"You're being ridiculous, Will. Don't you have some fangirl meeting to attend?"

"Nope. Hate to disappoint you, but those are only on Mondays," he winked at her. "You can make the next meeting."

She rolled her eyes. "I don't even know what to do with you anymore."

"I could give you a few suggestions."

Elena heard a cough in front of her. She turned to see Chris was standing ramrod straight like an iron pole had been sewn into his spine.

Will chuckled at his brother's strange reaction.

A feeling of unease settled over her and she decided not to converse with them anymore while on the line—and the rest of day if she could manage it.

She didn't get her wish. Somehow, in the process of getting a salad and drink in addition to her hot meal, the brothers fell behind her and followed her to the one empty table in the crowded cafeteria.

She placed her tray down and rounded on them before they could do the same. "We need to stop meeting like this."

Will flashed a full-fledged smile at her before sliding in next to her. "We can't enjoy each other's company while eating a ridiculously fancy meal for a high school?"

"You're always cornering me during my only break in the day." She made sure to sound as accusatory as possible.

"You were in the library earlier," Chris corrected, sitting next to her on the other side.

She stilled, unsure of how to respond. Had she upset him by leaving?

"You weren't cutting class, were you?" Will joked.

"Yes."

"Wait, really? You? The saint of perfect attendance?"

"It's an extra class I'm taking. I told them I wasn't feeling well and went to the library to relax, but that didn't happen."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you."

She bowed her head and closed her eyes, unable to look at Chris. She sighed when she felt his gaze move away.

Will cleared his throat. "Well, this is depressing. Someone, say something funny."

"That's your job," she heard Chris mutter.

His toneless voice sank her mood even more. She hadn't meant to make him as miserable as her.

"Are you free this afternoon?" She looked up at Will. Was he seriously asking her that? "Don't look so surprised. Just answer the question."

"According to Natalia, I'm never free. She always wants me to run errands and get ahead on homework," Elena added when a strange looked passed between the brothers.

"And what do you say?" Will pressed.

"My schedule is open, but I doubt I can do anything with you guys."

He smiled and his eyes took on a mischievous gleam "We'll see about that."

The brothers caught up with her again after the last class let out, pulling her into a side hallway when she started walking toward the parking lot.

"What are you doing? Leighton is going to blow a fuse if I'm late again."

"Don't worry about that. She already left."

"What?"

"Will got your stepmother's permission to come over to our place as long as you're back home by ten," Christopher explained, raising his eyebrows at the end when he mentioned the strangely early curfew.

"Oh," was all she could initially reply. How had they gotten the witch to agree to her having fun? "When did you schedule this?" she asked when she finally recovered from her shock.

"I just had a free period and got bored," Will answered. "So... who's ready to go on an adventure?"

She glanced at Chris who was also looking at her expectantly. She shrugged. "Me, I guess."

Will shook his head and wagged a disciplinary finger at her. "That is not the right attitude for someone who is about to have more fun today than she probably has since we moved."

He had no idea how true that was.

***

Chris watched Elena as she fidgeted beside him in the back seat of the car. He had opted to join her rather than sit in the passenger seat, hoping to gain more insight about her new personality by observing her up close—but to no avail.

"What are you thinking about?" he finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Just trying to figure out what Natalia's motives are," she muttered, not looking away from the window.

"That's a very broad, almost existential question," Will quipped from the driver seat.

"For letting me come with you," she clarified. "She never lets me stay out."

"Well, I may have mentioned that our dad is best friends with the principal..." Will started. "I think that made her reconsider her original answer."

"That makes more sense," she said after a moment of silence. "I knew she hadn't changed." Minutes passed before she spoke again. "Where are we going? I thought you said we were headed to your home."

"What's the fun in staying out if you're only going to be next door to your home?" Will countered.

"The mall," Chris answered. "We can go to any store you want. We're treating you."

She stared at him—finally making sustained eye contact with him. "Why would you do that?"

"Because we want to."

She looked away. "I don't need anything new."

"Think of this as a very belated birthday gift for all the ones we weren't with you."

"Oh, that's not necessary. I'm surprised you even remember when it is."

"Of course we do," Will answered. "Chris sent your gift a week before it every year. Was a pain in the ass about being on time with it."

"What gifts?"

"You never got them?" he asked, leaning toward her.

She shook her head.

"Same as the messages you never heard..."

Will glanced at them through the rearview mirror. "Okay... what's going on?"

"We think Natalia has been intercepting all of my communications with Elena. It would explain why she thought I forgot about her and why I never received an answer."

Silence engulfed them once again.

"I still want you to let us get you something."

"You'll need a dress soon, anyhow," Will added.

She glanced at him, a surprised expression coloring her features, before leaning forward to rest on the driver seat. "What are you talking about?"

"Isn't it obvious? You're coming to Homecoming."

"Excuse me?" Had she heard him correctly?

"We're taking you to Homecoming," Will replied as if it were a regular occurrence for her to go to parties. "We all know Mrs. Parker's excuse about you babysitting is total bull."

So they had recognized the bitch's lie. "She is going out, but you're right. I'm not busy then." She saw him getting ready to speak again. "That still doesn't change the fact that I'm not allowed to go."

"She won't have to know," Will insisted. "We'll pick you up and bring you back before she arrives home from her business dinner."

"How do you know when it ends?"

"Because our dad is also going to be there. The dinner is being held by one of his friends," Chris answered quietly.

She glanced between the two brothers. "You're both insane. This isn't a fairytale. You can't give me a makeover and get me to a party and home without my stepmother noticing something is wrong."

"Then we'll have to use what we have to work our own type of magic," Will said, putting the car into park.

Chris got out, came to the other side, and opened her door.

She stared at his outstretched hand, lifting her eyes to his when she took it. She tried to ignore the hurt she felt at his closed expression.

He walked behind her as she followed Will. It reminded her of criminals being caged in by policemen. The thought only tightened the knot already forming in her stomach.

Will chose that moment to speak up. "Relax, it's only shopping, not a death sentence."

If Natalie found out, it would be.

She pasted on a smile. "You're right. I'm probably worrying about nothing."

She didn't miss the glance passed between the brothers.

They silently entered the mall.

Will swept an arm around the atrium as if he owned the place. "Pick a place to start."

Elena stood still, taking it all in. The last time she had been out shopping for herself was when her father had taken her a month before he died.

She felt a hand on her arm and flinched. She turned to see Chris watching her carefully with concern reflected in his eyes. It was the first time she'd seen him show any real emotion since their conversation in the library. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she answered after a beat. "Of course I am."

He didn't look convinced, but thankfully nodded in acceptance and looked away. She started to move forward, only to be stopped by his hand on hers.

She looked down at their hands and fought a smile. He squeezed it once before letting go. "I'm here for you."

"Thank you."

They walked in silence for a few more minutes.

"Time is ticking," Will announced. "You need three dresses, and God knows how long that'll take."

"Three?" She asked.

"Homecoming, Winter Formal, and our birthday party," he explained as if it were obvious.

"Just because Natalie said I could stay out today doesn't mean she'll suddenly let me have a social life—" She cut herself off, realizing she had revealed too much when the brothers turned to her with matching curious expressions.

"She what?" Chris asked with barely contained indignation.

"You mean to tell us you've never hung out with friends after school since we left?" Will added, equally dumbfounded.

"I'd need friends first," she mumbled.

They stared at her, making her fidget. She could practically see the gears turning in their heads as they tried to process what she had accidentally shared.

"Let's keep looking," she said, knowing she wouldn't get anything from this escapade. She was done getting nice things only for Leighton to repossess them.

Will shook his head once, and then resumed his cheery attitude and position in front. "You heard the lady."

Chris leaned in. "Don't think that you've distracted me by changing the subject, Elena."

"Please drop it."

He searched her face—for what, she didn't know. "I will. I promise," he added when she raised a skeptical eyebrow.

She loosed the breath she'd been holding.

"For now."

Oh, boy. She forced herself to start walking, a knot of dread forming in the pit of her stomach. Why couldn't she have kept her mouth shut about her home life? She'd successfully done it for seven years, so why not now?

"You coming, princess?" Will called back.

She rolled her eyes and quickened her pace. If only he knew the truth. "Coming!" she answered.

The rest of the stroll was relatively quiet. The brothers walked ahead of her, talking in hushed tones, not bothering to look around. Why would they when they could always come back on a whim?

She, on the other hand, soaked in her surroundings as if she were a wandering child in a fantastical land. When she passed a store with both vintage and new clothes, she was stopped and backtracked.

Chris, realizing she had stopped walking, joined her in front of the display window. Will quickly did the same.

"Is that what you want?" Christopher asked.

Elena barely heard him and walked inside.

An employee approached her immediately. "What are you looking for, miss?"

Will spoke up from his spot at her elbow, "She wants three dresses. One has to be Victorian-style and the other two are for parties." She jolted in surprise at his imperious tone. She hadn't heard him move next to her.

She turned to find Chris silently watching her reaction. He looked away and addressed the assistant. "Her favorite colors are blue, white, and purple."

The woman nodded, "It's a pleasure to see you boys again. It's always a pleasure to serve the James family." She started flying through the store, pulling dresses from the racks faster than Elena could process.

The lady came to stand in front of her again. "I've arranged them by color, then style," she said pointing. "I guessed you were a size four."

Elena nodded absentmindedly, scanned the pieces, and noticed many of them had short sleeves and or open backs. "I don't think—"

"Great, thank you," Will cut in. "We'll call you if we need any more help." The woman disappeared into the back room. He turned to her, "Which one are you trying on first?"

Elena picked up all the revealing ones and laid them aside.

"I liked those," he objected.

"Well, I can't wear them," she countered. She caught Chris' gaze, silently praying that he didn't side with his brother.

Thankfully, he didn't.

Running her hands over the remaining selections, she picked up a blue dress Victorian dress. It was absolutely perfect. It was modest enough that she wouldn't become a topic of gossip and it hid her bruises. She checked the tag and immediately put it back down. Unfortuantely, it was the only dress she liked that matched the Victorian masquerade Homecoming theme. She found a white a-line dress and did the same routine. Lastly, she looked at a purple sheath dress. She had liked all of them for the three occasions Will had mentioned, but knowing she couldn't buy any of them made her unexpectedly sad. She walked out of the store.

"Where's Chris?" She asked moments later Will when he came out to join her.

"He'll be along in a minute, but while I have you alone, I want to tell you that I'm just as happy to be back and seeing you as my brother."

She smiled and placed a hand on his arm. "Thank you. I'm really glad to have you guys back. More than you know."

Chris emerged from the store with a large bag, his steps slowing as he neared them. "Sorry for the hold up," he said, holding it out to her.

She stared at it, then him, and back again. "Oh, no, you didn't have to—"

"Don't be ridiculous, we wanted to," he said. "Take it, Elena. It's a gift."

"A very expensive one," she countered.

"Stop arguing with me, and just say thank you already!"

"Thank you," she murmured. She took the bag immediately and pulled away, his outburst scaring her. He never raised his voice, even when she had made him mad.

Will cleared this throat. "Well, now that we've settled everything, let's get you some stuff to go with those outfits."

"Are you sure? I really don't need any more stuff."

"Is that true?" Chris asked, his gaze burning through her.

She hesitated, and then shook her head.

"Then, it's decided. We have more shopping to do." He started walking, taking the lead this time, not bothering to look back and check if she and his brother were following.

Unsure of what to do, Elena silently followed, her head bowed. She wouldn't look at another store, she promised herself. They had already spent too much on her.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

46.6K 3.6K 76
"And maybe it is just too late for you to come around, looking for the girl with the glass slipper..." The last year of high school before Ellie...
2.4K 142 23
(Book 1 of Shattered series) MATURE CONTENT 18+ TRIGGER WARNING!!! Can you really truely trust the people you think you know just by the persona they...
55.4K 1.5K 49
Book one of the 'Broken' Series Was originally called 'Broken Mate'. Normality was something Gem would never understand, for her life was anything b...
118K 9.7K 16
Every culture has its own version of Cinderella, whether it features glass slippers and fairy godmothers, or enchanted trees and magic fish, the love...