Arc-en-ciel

By CoffeeGirl_10

〚FEATURED〛 ⭒⭒⭒⭒⭒ "My pick-up lines are great." "Yeah, and I have a pet llama." "You do??" "No, idiot." ⭒⭒⭒⭒⭒ ... More

The Part Nobody Reads
Chapter 01: Caramel Latte
Chapter 02: Football Captain
Chapter 03: Westfield High
Chapter 04: Thank You
Chapter 05: Staring Problem
Chapter 06: Offering Comfort
Chapter 07: Preventing Homicides
Chapter 08: Do That
Chapter 09: Your Girl
Chapter 10: Shimmer Jimmer
Chapter 11: Hate Him
Chapter 12: The Tea
Chapter 13: Be Fine
Chapter 14: Learned Today
Chapter 16: Out Standing
Chapter 17: Hold This
Chapter 18: Attractive People
Chapter 19: Too Nice
Chapter 20: Obama's Head
Chapter 21: My Jaw
Chapter 22: Skin Care
Chapter 23: Get Worse
Chapter 24: Shakespeare Said
Chapter 25: One Week
Chapter 26: Big Eighteen
Chapter 27: Say Hi
Chapter 28: Oh Well
Chapter 29: Tell Her
Chapter 30: Pesky Insects
Chapter 31: Shakespeare Again
[UNEDITED] Chapter 32: Scaring Her
[UNEDITED] Chapter 33: Which one?
[UNEDITED] Chapter 34: Tell me
[UNEDITED] Chapter 35: It's Funny
[UNEDITED] Chapter 36: Aunt Flo
[UNEDITED] Chapter 37: Figure out
Epilogue: The Best Part
Bonus Chapter 01: "Every great love"
(Bonus) Chapter 22.5: "Oh, shut up."
Bonus Chapter 02: "Pictures in my eyes"
The Others <3

Chapter 15: Beary Much

143K 6.2K 9.4K
By CoffeeGirl_10

To the world, you might just be a person,
But to a person, you might just be the world. 

J A M E S

"You still have that? That is so adorable."

I looked up to see Tyler grinning like a maniac. Unfortunately, that maniacal grin was aimed at me, and the small piece of paper in my hand.

A thank you card. That's what was in my hand.

The little shit actually made me a card.

And like the stupid idiot I was, I remember exactly how the whole thing went down too- even though it was two whole days ago.

There was a big smile on her face. I instantly knew she was up to something.

"The fuck you smiling like that for?"

She stretched her hand out slowly- and when I looked down, I saw a piece of paper between her fingers.

It was a thank you card, a really small one that. By the looks of it, she had made it herself- judging by the drawing of the bear, a very good drawing of a bear- and the corny joke on top that said- 'thank you beary much'. 

"The hell is this for?" I grumbled staring down at it.

"I made it!" she told me happily, "It's a thank you card!"

I just stared at her blankly.

"I got you some candy too, but I um- I kinda ate it on the way here," she frowned guiltily. 

"It doesn't answer the damn question," I frowned down at it, "What's this for?"

"I told you I'd make you one, didn't I?"

"You can't be serious," I gave her an unimpressed look, but she had just smiled some more.

"Do what you want with it," she shrugged with the same smile, "But don't tear it in front of me, like you said you would. I'd probably cry."

I didn't tear it. 

I couldn't

"It must mean an awful lot to you if you've kept it," Tyler said wiggling his eyebrows. "Especially since you decide to look at it every time she's not around. Where is she, anyway?"

"Bathroom," I said nodding in the direction of the bathroom door, twenty feet away. "And that is not true."

He just gave me a look that screamed, really?

Okay- maybe I had decided to carry it around with me, for the past two days and maybe I found myself fiddling with it sometimes. Maybe I didn't like it when other people touched it, and so what if I put it on my desk when I was at home, where it was in my line of vision at all times?

It doesn't mean that much to me. Seriously. 

I just chose to roll my eyes in response, not finding a reason to justify myself. 

"When are you asking her to the game?" he continued, "It's in two days, y'know?"

"You want to know when I'm going to ask her?" I raised an eyebrow and his face turned hopeful, "Never." And his face fell.

"Damn, I thought I'd finally get you to say yes," he said. "You'd be winning me fifty bucks, y'know?"

"You bet on me?" I asked incredulously. 

"Yeah," Tyler said shrugging, in a tone that implied duh. "Ethan thinks you're too chicken to do it, so we bet on it."

I'm too chicken to do it?

I chose not to comment on that though, ignoring the part of my brain that courteously informed me that what he said was probably true. 

"Is that why you've been bugging me all week?" I scowled at him. Motherfucker. 

"Partially, yes," Tyler shrugged like it wasn't a big deal, "I thought it would wear you down, and you'd finally say yes. Especially because you were her knight in shining armor that day at the hospital."

Ugh. The thought alone made me want to hurl. 

"The day pigs fly," I told him, with a blank look, "is the day I will be her knight in shining armor."

That implied: never (because what the actual fuck are you on).

"Okay, forget the hospital thing," he waved off, seeing that it didn't convince me, "I'm talking about you asking her to the game-"

"I'm not," I glared at him before he could finish, "So, quit fucking bugging me."

He narrowed his eyes at me, before a glint appeared in his eyes. I didn't suspect anything of it. 

"So you're sure you aren't going to ask her to the game?" he asked, a barely concealed grin on his face. 

"Yes," I gritted, resisting the urge to roll my eyes again. 

"Okay," he said, his grin widening. 

I looked at him, almost confused. "Okay? That's all you're going to say- after bugging me for what felt like eternity? Seriously?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Speaking of the game, I think I have an idea about who I want to ask."

"Good for you."

"I think I'm going to ask her right now," he said, his smile turning into a devilish smirk. "You wouldn't mind me doing that, would you? I'm going to call her over."

"You do that."

"Okay then. Hey Annabeth!"

"Grea- wait what?" 

He turned to me, blinking innocently. "What?"

"What are you doing?" I hissed at him, as she approached us, having just come out of the bathroom. 

He shrugged with faux innocence. "What I said I'd do. Why? What's wrong?"

"Hi, Ty," I scowled even more at the stupid nickname, "Annoying James again?"

"You know it," he winked at her, and she laughed. Now, I want to punch him in the fucking face even more.

"Okay, so, listen," he pressed his palms together and then pointed it at her, "I have a very important question to ask you."

"Yes, ducks can fly- I looked it up since you asked," she said immediately.

I pulled a confused face, while Tyler's face paled. Only for a second though, so I'm not even sure if I just imagined that.

"That's not what I wanted to ask right now," he clarified, clearing his throat.

"Oh," Annabeth frowned slightly, "Did you need something?"

"Yes actually," he grinned at her. "I wanted to ask if you'd like- oomph!"

He was on the ground in less than a second, with me still casually leaning against the locker behind me. He looked up at me incredulously. "You kicked me, you dick!"

"My foot slipped," I shrugged carelessly. 

"I'm sure it did," he said sarcastically, while giving me a pointed look that said, you do it, or I will.

I really don't know what compelled me to do it.

I swear I don't.

But I ended up turning to her as she was eyeing Tyler's sprawled form with amusement.

"Go to the game with me," I blurted. 

Ah, there's a sentence that's going to haunt me for the rest of life.

The moment I said it, I had the biggest urge to facepalm, and slap myself while doing that.

You stupid, stupid bastard- 

The urge to hit myself only grew as five seconds passed. Why the hell did it feel like my cheeks were heating up?

Tyler coughed to hide his laughter.

She blinked. For a few seconds, it was awkwardly quiet, until she opened her mouth to speak.

"What?" 

I cleared my throat. "Go to the game with me tomorrow," I repeated, rubbing my neck. I dug my grave, I might as well bury myself in it now. 

She blinked again.

Another awkward pause followed. I couldn't read the expression on her face.

"I was hoping you'd tell me in a minute," I said pointedly, trying not to sound snappy- after a few more seconds had passed. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't take the next few years to answer."

What? Sometimes I can't help making sarcastic comments when I'm nerv-uncomfortable

"Sure," she said finally, and although I could've sworn her cheeks looked pinker than usual- her lips lift into one of those almost teasing smiles. 

"Cool," I said hurriedly, telling myself that the feeling in my chest was not relief or any form of happiness. 

"Okay," she said, her smile widening.

"Okay," I repeated. 

"Maybe okay can be your always."

"Tyler, shut up," I said, turning to face him completely, and giving him the biggest glare I could muster at that moment. I doubt it had any effect on him at all, because I could still feel the heat from my cheeks- so I probably looked like an angry gnome. 

He was red-faced too- probably because of the pent up laughter, but there was still a big grin on his stupid face. 

Annabeth looked at him as if she just remembered he was there. "Oh- hey, sorry, what did you need?"

"Right," he said, his eyes shining with laughter. "I just wanted to ask if you had any glitter? Sarah is obsessed with glitter, and she asked me to take some for her tomorrow. She's making banners since I promised her front row seats."

"Sarah?" Annabeth said, her eyebrow raised. "Isn't she the third girl this week?"

"Yeah," he said. "But she's the one I'm taking to the game tomorrow. Didn't I tell you?"

He winked at me. 

And at that moment, I had never wanted to hit someone, as much as I wanted to hit Tyler. 

*****

Later during the day, when I'm back at home- reading in my room, my phone dings.

I was going to ignore it since it was across the room and because who gives a shit about notifications, but then it dings about a dozen more times in five seconds, effectively distracting me from the words on the page.

I scowl, putting the book down, and rising to my feet.

It dings two more times before I finally walk across to it, and the screen lights up with the text messages as I pick it up.

Annabeth (EP): okay so basically

Annabeth (EP): tomorrow's your game

Annabeth (EP): you need all the good luck possible

Annabeth (EP): so,,,,,,,

Annabeth (EP): I'm sending you the best good luck puns I could find! :D

Annabeth (EP): this is the official collection J-man you're gonna love it

"This little shit," I mutter to myself, as I read the bunch of messages that follow.

She had done her absolute best, clearly, to send me the corniest shit on this planet.

In the form of cartoons and GIFs too. Lovely.

Despite how stupid all of them are, there's just something about the whole thing? The gesture, maybe? Or the jokes?

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but I have to press my tongue to the inside of my cheek to stop myself from making anything close to an amused expression.

In the end, however, before I can help it- my lips lift into a small, begrudging smile.

And almost instantly, I freeze.

No.

No no no no no-

I hurl my phone across the room and put my hands in my hair.

I did not just fucking smile at my phone like a schoolboy with a crush.

No. I didn't.

What the fuck was that? What did she put in those photos?

Or was it just her? I didn't want any of her fucking sunshine rubbing off on me.

No. Absolutely the fuck not.

"Okay," I mutter to myself, running a hand through my hair before letting a harsh breath out, "Okay. That didn't happen."

No one saw it happen.

I could just pretend it never happened.

Yeah.

No, I didn't smile. I could forget about it.

I could sleep it off. Or I could just get back to reading.

That would take my mind off it. Yeah.

I pick my book back up again, not sparing my phone another glance.

Forget about it.

*****

I didn't fucking forget about it.

In fact, like the absolute moron that I was starting to turn into, I was even thinking about it the next morning.

"I need to talk to you," I tell Tyler, my face solemn.

"You are talking to me," Tyler grins widely, even with a lollipop in his mouth.

"It's important," I stress, and maybe some of my underlying distress makes its way into my expression- because his smile wavers.

"What's wrong?" he asks, his tone careful but still light.

I let out a harsh breath, as I close my eyes and run a hand through my hair.

"This-" I roll my shoulders to ease some of the tension in them, "This is difficult for me to talk about."

His expression tightens. "Is it about... him?"

"What? No, no," I shake my head. "This is actually about something that happened last night."

He gives me a completely puzzled look as if he didn't know where I was going with this.

"I did something terrible," I confide quietly, and his eyes go wide.

"What did you do?" he demands almost instantly, crossing his arms across his chest and leaning closer.

I sigh, running a hand down my face.

"I need your word," I tell him solemnly, "that you won't laugh."

His head jerks back, and he gives me an offended look. "Why would I laugh if it's something horrible?"

I just give him a look.

"Okay, you're right, I might laugh," he relents with a sigh, "I'll try not to, though. Tell me what happened."

"Last night," I begin slowly and Tyler's eyes go wide in anticipation, "Evans texted me. She sent me a bunch of stupid puns for good luck or some shit like that."

"And you told her to fuck off?"

"No, I didn't," I hiss, but he just looks even more horrified at that.

"You said something worse?" he stares at me in horror.

"No," I say through gritted teeth, "I..."

"Get it out," Tyler tells me encouragingly, with the same look on his face, "Just say it, and be done with it."

I grit my teeth.

"I...I smiled."

Silence.

I stare at the ground pointedly, unable to meet his eyes.

"What?" he says slowly, after a whole minute.

"I'm not fucking saying it again," I grit out and my face feels unusually hot.

He just blinks at me. 

Then, his lips twitch.

"Don't," I warn, raising a finger threateningly- and he instantly places his palm over his mouth.

I hear a faint snicker behind his palm, and my glare intensifies.

"I said, don't," I tell him again through clenched teeth.

It takes another fifteen seconds, and then he bursts out laughing.

"Motherfu- I told you not to laugh," I narrow my eyes at him as he cackles, hunching over and putting his arms over his stomach, "You know what- forget I fucking said anything-"

"This, is, great," he chokes out, in between the laughter, "better than anything I'd have dreamed of, HAHAHA-"

I shove him hard enough for him to fall over, but that doesn't stop him from laughing.

"Tell anyone this, and I'll kill you," I threaten as he continues to chortle on the ground like someone on crack.

"Oh, James," he says, wiping beneath his eyes, "You made my fucking day. I won't tell anyone, but this seems like something you have to figure out on your own."

"Dickhead," I glare down at him, and because the universe just loves me so much, I hear a familiar voice.

"Why is Tyler on the floor again?"

He takes one look at her, looks between the both of us, and bursts into laughter again.

I mutter a muted curse, staring exasperatedly at the ceiling.

This right here, was why I hated everything.

here's the other update as promised! thanks for reading! don't forget to vote and comment :)

this was a little something I had posted the last time in the author's note lol-

Question: if (IF) Annabeth and James ever become a couple, what kind of couple do you think they'd be? 

Option A)

Option B)

it's more option B imo??? but a little bit of A too, idk (most of the current comments under A are about other books and everyone seems to collectively agree that it's more B)

Cassie's bucket list #15: Go to a football game, and hold up a poster that says "The guy behind me can't see."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 5.6K 34
"𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑫𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝒉𝒆'𝒅 𝒌𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕." 𝑩𝒐𝒐𝒌 1 Copyright...
3.8M 82.4K 65
𝐀𝐔𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐀 𝐉𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐍 is a 18-year-old single mother. She is nice, caring, a wonderful mom. She is in her first year of college with a f...
7.6M 173K 73
Rosé My past haunts me. It has tainted me. But I haven't let it ruin my happiness. I only want love but I'm afraid of not being enough. And crushing...
861K 23.4K 77
She lives her life to the fullest as she is love by everyone in her home, where everyone supports and cheers for her. Some things also somewhat make...