Wanted Ransom

By hokorix

To save her sinking company, Hange needed Levi to help her. Yet it was hopeless. Levi does not want to but Ha... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 1

1.2K 47 47
By hokorix

Papers were rustling. Footsteps were rigidly continuous as they walked back and forth, passing by one another. A scenery that is usually seen inside an office as each person busied themselves in their respective roles. 

However, this is a different case for Z's Research Department.

Everyone had a worried look on their faces, pressing on impatiently on the keyboard of their computers and the sound of the mouse clicking echoed along with it. There were a couple of murmurings mixed along the morbid atmosphere.

Nifa had her eyes straight on the screen. "There's been a major problem."

"What is it?"

"Miss Hange is missing a vital piece for her research."

Gossips would pass by ear. Things like these were a natural thing to lead a group of people. Even Hange is awfully aware of this as she strode down the office with a determined look on her face. At the sight of her, all the murmurings went away abruptly and were soon replaced by silence.

Trailing behind her is an assistant who looked utterly uneasy. "I think we should just—"

The brunette opened the door to her office which halted Moblit mid-sentence.

The place was wide enough for her experiments. Books piling up in each corner. A white long table was in the middle, displaying an unfinished product sprawled out on it.

"Moblit." Hange turned to look at him straight in the eye. "Giving up is never an option. This is a very valuable groundwork. Years have been wasted for this already and I had long ought to myself that I will bring this to fruition."

Her assistant sighed wearily as Hange went to her experiment, trying to check it once again.

"But this is dangerous...and we're currently lacking financially..." That is precisely correct. Even Hange is certainly aware of that fact but she had long pledged to get this kind of profession even at the risk of her life—Surely, Moblit is aware of all these too. "Maybe we can just forfeit. Just this once---"

Moblit was startled when Hange suddenly slammed a hand on the table.

"This is hopeless..." The exasperated look on her face and anger dripping out was enough indication for the man to say nothing more.

This has been going on for a month now. The most famous underground researcher has been trying to find ways to complete her experiment. It is as dangerous as usual however the main problem was that they were lacking financially to purchase the much-needed resources for these.

Honestly, this small department Hange had led for years now is slowly sinking down. They were unable to produce any valuable things nor get profound information where they could profit. Their existence is deemed useless especially now that a neighboring department had come to equal them in the rivalry.

The brunette could only sigh, staring blankly on the surface of the table. "Can you leave me alone for a moment?"

Without further ado, the assistant obeyed without any questions and stepped out of the room.

Finally alone, the brunette removed her glasses in a haste, staring into space. Just in a split second, she began throwing everything she managed to grab by her hand, eyes filled with pent up anger. She kicked the chairs, crumpled useless papers and landed a hard punch on the wall.

An angry Hange Zoe is indeed a rare sight. However, this type of Hange had been showing a lot lately ever since that incident.

"That fucking short-ass!!" She hisses through her teeth, catching her breath in irritation. "How dare he intervene with my work?!"

There is indeed a way to save her failing company. An underground organization asked her for an equipment to be made. The process to make it is really dangerous however Hange is brave enough to take part as long as it can save the longevity of their company that has been passed by her family generation to generation.

Help is much needed for this. There is only one person she could turn to for help.

Levi Ackerman.

A man at top of the chain of the business industry. All the resources needed for the said experiment can be easily purchased through his influence.

Yet the problem is, Levi hard-headedly doesn't want to lend a helping hand to her. The man firmly believes that she shouldn't be taking part in such dangerous conquest and expressed how stupid she was for even planning to.

Hange can actually reach out for help to other people but Levi purposely blocked all her attempts. Convincing other people to not entertain her pleas.

What the hell is wrong with him?

Damn him. Damn them all!

Her telephone suddenly rang in the middle of her outburst. She stared at it, pausing for a little bit. It went on repeatedly, the ringing sound annoying the hell out of her. 

Sighing, she picked up her glasses on the table and wore it.

She then answered the call, a name already in mind to whoever it may be.

"Hange, this is Erwin." As expected, Hange noted. "I know you've been very mad about Levi—"

"I sure am, Erwin!" Slamming her free hand once again on the table, it was enough to startle Erwin who's at the other line. "Why is he being such a prick anyway? He could just fucking---"

"Hange, first of all, this is dangerous. Next, you are financially unstable. There are other---"

"Come on, Erwin! Not this again! I thought we're through this?" She breathed in. "I am aware of what I am doing. This is my own profession. I...I do what I want, this is my life. I can perfectly manage it by myself—"

"Hange," The firmness in Erwin's tone was enough to shut her up. "The problem here is that you can't manage it perfectly. Your previous projects deliberately failed and now, your company is sinking down. Let's not even forget all the debts your parents left in their deathbeds. I know how important these are for you but... Hange, you don't have to do all these alone."

The brunette stared into space, weighing the sincerity behind the words.

"You know, I can always give you a spot here at my company. I wouldn't even mind giving you a much higher position because I truly believe you deserve it. You can sell your company, luxuries, properties... even that private island your family owned. Eventually, the profit would be enough to pay off all the debts---"

"You don't understand, Erwin! You don't!" Thus, she slammed the telephone back to where it was supposed to be.

For the past few days, Erwin has been reaching out to her out of concern. There is no doubt that he is indeed a trusted friend and all he said he would do are guaranteed to happen. However, the promise she had with her parents, how she would manage the company when they're gone, drive it into success weighs even more than their concern.

She is not selling anything. She is not giving up anything. She is not abandoning anything.

That is the resolve she had come into.

"Moblit!" Upon the call, Moblit immediately emerged from the door. "I want you to prepare my things. I'm going to talk this over again with Levi."

"Levi? Will they even let us in?"

"I'm going to barge through if it's necessary. I need to talk to him in person. I need to fucking convince him."

Still, the security in Levi's place has always been tight. "We can just call him first---"

"Do you think I haven't tried that? I've been calling him for days now and he wouldn't even answer a single one!"

Silence loomed over the whole place. It only got disrupted when one of her assistants stepped inside.

"I sincerely apologize for the disturbance, Miss Hange. But the letter we've received just now from Sir Erwin Smith is said to be in utmost importance and should be urgently read by you."

"Erwin?" She raised an eyebrow at Keiji. They were talking just now.

The man placed the letter on her desk. Hange could only stare at the envelope, seeing how majestic it looked with the bright golden rose petals imprinted on it.

"This is an engagement letter..." The brunette mumbled to herself, fixing her glasses.

Hange couldn't believe it. In bright golden letters, two names were written.

Levi Ackerman.

Petra Ral.            

"Are you kidding with me?" She spat out in disbelief, unfolding the paper to see the details. "Who's fucking engage? Him? Really now?"

It was stated in the letter that there will be an engagement party tomorrow evening with the said soon-to-be wedded couple. Petra... Hange knew her. She was that girl who had liked Levi for a long time now. Looking back... Levi did reject her, right?

But what's absurd among all of it was that they are getting married? Levi? Seriously?

Hange chuckled to herself. This action startled the two men in front of her, worried over her reaction.

"Really now? He's engaged and he did not even invite me to the party?" She leaned on her swivel chair, laughing hysterically. "What was the point of shitting with me then? He can leave me alone already. He's getting married to an oh-so-wonderful woman after all!"

Despite what she said, internally, the brunette wasn't quite pleased. If Levi would be busy with his stupid love life then the man wouldn't have enough room to lend her a hand on her project. He would have a much more credible reason not to help her!

Damn. Hange's luck must be running out.

All her laughter abruptly faded away. Composing herself, Hange nonchalantly crumpled the paper and dumped it to her trashcan underneath the table. Moblit swore that this is the first time he had seen such a terrifyingly composed face on his superior's face.

"I've decided." She said.

The two men in front of her waited for a thorough explanation.

Hange pulled on her drawer, revealing a thick envelope tucked in the small space. Pulling it out, she laid it on her table as Moblit's eyes widened upon seeing it, knowing exactly what it is.

"H-Hange, are you really sure about that? We can go to jail---"

"That is only a possibility, Moblit." Hange cuts off, smirking to him. "If we do the whole thing right, I doubt we're going to jail anyway. Sometimes, we need to take huge risks to get the best things."

"But...Is this really necessary? We can just talk with him—"

"Moblit, trust me, okay?"

Her assistant could only sigh. He does trust her. What he doesn't trust are the circumstances that might happen during their operation. What if things would go wrong?

"Keiji."

The man beside Moblit immediately shifted upon the call.

"I want you to call your team and tell them to prepare in the hall." She instructed.

"Yes, maam." As he said this, Keiji bowed down a little and went away to fulfill the command.

Hange watched Moblit carefully. He looked distressed at the whole ordeal. Moblit has been a very important friend ever since. The man has been there ever since the beginning, never leaving her back. Thus, seeing the look on his face, the brunette could only frown at it.

Awfully aware that what she is trying to do is indeed wrong.

Sighing, she grabs the envelope and pulled out the paper inside. "You know, you can pull yourself out of what I am trying to do. I would be much more welcoming to pardon you—"

Moblit immediately shook his head and snatched the document in her hand instead.

"I trust you, Hange. As you've said, we need to take risks to get the best things and I wholeheartedly agree with that. There's no way I'm quitting out. I've been into much more dangerous experiments with you...I... I am just worried."

This earned a genuine smile on Hange's lips. Moblit sighed his worries away.

"Anyway, I've already read the plan weeks ago, analyzed it and detected no flaws in it." Moblit said, shuffling through the pages. "The team has been informed too on the steps we're about to make."

It has been planned out by Hange for a week now and she couldn't believe that she is left with no choice but to do this.

Options were running out. No choice is left but for them to execute this plan.

Sighing, she ran a hand through her bangs. "Get a copy of his schedule tomorrow and identify precisely which location he is by the time we'll carry out the plan."

"There is no need for that, Hange."

"Why?"

He pointed towards the only part left in the letter that has been delivered to her earlier. Hange stared at the majestic envelope that she hadn't crumpled yet.

"I believe that is happening tomorrow?"

Oh...right. The brunette glared at the piece of paper, a thought came into mind.

"We will revise the plan." Moblit looked surprised at this. Why the sudden change now? "Instead of one week, change it into months. Prepare everything that is enough for months."

Despite confused at the sudden change, the man decided to not question it as he nodded obediently. He was about to excuse himself when the brunette suddenly stopped him and stared straight into his eyes.

"Listen, Moblit." Her tone was low and threatening. "I expect no failure."

He confidently saluted and walked away.

---

It was exactly eight in the middle of the night as Hange stood by an isolated area, wide enough for a chopper to park still by her side.

"Hange, would you want something to drink?" The young girl beside her, Nifa, was holding up a cup of coffee.

Accepting it, Hange's eyes were still looking earnestly on the screen of her tablet. The night breeze was chilling and she kind of regretted not gate-crashing the party itself. Erwin called her moments ago, asking if she would be attending.

Anyway, going to that party would be useless anyway. As if the party would continue without the groom.

That's exactly right.

Levi Ackerman is going to get kidnapped.

Honestly, it was the only way the brunette had thought of.

First of all, it was Levi's fault why he wouldn't answer her messages. She was left with no choice now. This operation will take everything she had. She needs to blackmail and convince him. That is the part she needed to do in this operation.

But how can she do her part if they wouldn't be able to successfully capture him anyway?

Hange's dead nervous on how things will turn out as she tapped her foot deliberately. Yes, she might've devised the plan but Levi is a formidable enemy himself.

A beep in her phone was enough to alert the brunette. It is a message.

Moblit: Target acquired.

Moblit: Mission success.

Hange literally fist-bumped on the air in triumph, turning to Keiji who was beside her in so much happiness.

"We did it! Moblit succeeded!" She chanted, completely overjoyed.

Her only companions, Nifa and Keiji both happily clapped for their superior. Lately, Hange being happy has become quite rare seeing how she had been stressed out over everything that has been happening. Both of them were aware of it, satisfaction written over their face.

Not a minute later, blinding headlights of a car darted towards them as the vehicle parked meters away from them. Hange signaled for her men to start the chopper and prepare themselves.

Thus, the wind started to mess with the strands of her hair as she tucked it behind her ear. Smiling, Moblit walked towards her and the brunette could only smirk upon seeing the familiar short stature that is forced to walk behind him.

Blindfolded and hands tied, the raven-haired was left with no choice but oblige. There was a gun directed on his head forcing him to obey. Hange noted the fine suit he wore.

Poor Levi. He even tried to dress nicely for his soon-to-be wife.

Hange honestly felt bad for his fiancée. Well, she had to do this. The future of her company is much more important after all.

Thus, as they traveled through the atmosphere, Levi sat behind Hange. She stole glances at him, taking advantage of the fact that he couldn't really see her seeing how he was blindfolded. Levi seemed to understand the situation he's currently in.

Hmph. Of course. Levi is a skilled man. He's probably assessing the purpose of this operation. Knowing him, he might have a back-up plan on what is happening. A vivid memory came into mind—remembering the days where they talked to each other all day with their playful banters.

Hange was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even realize that they've finally landed on her family's private island. A present her parents bought for her when she was a kid.

She ordered her people to carry the helpless man to the mansion.

Lynne, one of Hange's people, pointed a gun to his head, "Please walk straight. I will not hesitate to shoot you if you wouldn't oblige."

Hange raised an eyebrow at this. Levi seemed to obey her as he did what the voice commanded him to do. Seeing Levi so submissive made the brunette chuckle to herself. Among anyone in the world, Hange knew the best that being ordered and bossed around by a random person is the thing that Levi hated the most.

When they stepped foot in the mansion, the brunette's thoughts wandered to the familiar furniture that had been left in the place for a couple of years now. The last time Hange came on the island was five years ago. Her eyes landed towards the raven-haired. It was with Levi too.

Looking back, they've been tied by such close bonds, huh.

"Moblit," She called to her assistant who has been silently trailing after her. "Tie him to a chair."

She only watched as her assistant did tie the raven-haired to a chair. After he was finally properly tied, Moblit signaled for everyone to surround them, readying the gun in their hands. Hange smiled at this action, silently thanking her most loyal assistant for being cautious.

Levi is never an easy opponent. For all they know, he could just rip away from the restraint of those ropes. Such an exaggeration but the possibility is likely.

Her footsteps echoed through the whole place, walking towards the helpless raven-haired. Standing before him, she could only stare at his poor state.

"This is what you get for being an asshole, Levi."

The way the man raised his head towards her, an indication that he had heard her loud and clear was enough to make the brunette feel satisfied.

"I've been trying to reach out to you for a month now but you've been such a jackass to cold-heartedly reject all those calls." Hange added, chuckling. "You see, Levi... if only you were considerate enough to at least give me your time, I wouldn't really do you dirty like this. I am quite an honorable person after all."

Silence. Hange was annoyed at the lack of response, only to realize that Levi's mouth was actually sealed.

"Oh no," She once again laughed. "Nifa! Take off the duct-tape on his mouth."

After the duct tape was removed, Hange could only stare at the grim on his lips.

"Hey..." Hange called out. "You can finally speak, you know?"

The way Levi's jaw clenched upon her call stirred something in Hange. The feeling of thrill running cold in her system.

"Hange." He stated. Firm and certain.

Surprising, Hange noted. Oddly enough, Levi still does recognize her by voice after all. "Oh! I thought you have forgotten me by now."

"Tch. What are you doing now, stupid four-eyes? This is a crime."

Did he not listen to her earlier?

She intentionally kicked the leg of the chair he's tied into making Levi shift in surprise. "I know that much, Levi. I said this was inevitable."

The neutral look on his face was beginning to annoy the brunette. To spite him and make him feel threatened, she bent down to whisper on his ear. "I can kill you anytime, you know?"

Levi didn't say anything.

Chuckling, Hange parted away from him. "Let's get straight into business. You certainly are aware of the reasons why I would be doing this in the first place. You know what I'm after right? I'll make it short. I want you to help me get the resources I need."

Waiting for a reply, the brunette continued to watch his face, waiting for a change in his expression. Concluding that there was none, this annoyed Hange as she grabs the piece of cloth folded over his eyes. Pulling it in a haste, the blindfold slowly unraveled, revealing the icy blue eyes of Levi piercing towards her.

This made Hange shiver. "Oops! I might've pissed you off too much."

He glared at her, clenching his jaw. "You are stooping down to something as low as this. I am disappointed in you."

This wasn't received well by Hange as this triggered her. Disappointed? Such an irony from Levi himself. Hange is aware of that and he does not have to point it out.

Extremely offended, she pulled on the necktie of his suit, hazel eyes glaring to his. "If someone would be disappointed, it should be me, Levi."

Levi continued to stare at her, equaling the fierce look on her eyes, not backing down either.

"What happened to your promise, huh?" Hange tilted her head to the other side, a far-away vivid memory came into mind. "That girl... your soon to be bride. How is she? Was she too good in bed?"

Hange knew that she went too far. Petra is a nice girl. Her anger was getting ahead of her.

Levi furrowed his eyebrows at this. "Don't change the subject---"

The brunette cuts him off with a kiss. She pressed her lips to his forcefully. This kind of kisses... seemed so foreign. Ironically, it still had the same warmth as five years ago. It was supposed to irk Levi but the way he kissed his lips back at her, equaling the fervor she gave, made Hange part away in disbelief.

"Well," Levi scoffed at her. "Why did you pull away?"

"You asshole! You're engaged to someone!" She spat out, mad as she hastily pointed her gun at him once again. "I'm asking you again, Ackerman. Will you lend me your aid or will you just rot here and die? I'm giving you two choices." Her eyes were glinting in such raw anger, even Hange herself couldn't comprehend why she suddenly felt this way. "Answer me properly!"

Levi gave her a blank look, shifted his body as he pushed his head forward. His forehead came in contact with the coolness of the mouth of Hange's gun.

She looked down at him, baffled at his action. The raven-haired continued to stare at her and said, "Shoot me."

Her hands were shaking and she is very much itching to pull on the trigger. Levi... how dare he. Gulping down the pent-up anger, Hange tried to think rationally. She only had one job and that is to convince Levi. Now... seems to be not the right time.

Sighing, the brunette stepped back. Her hand with the gun withdrew to her side as she looked at him with eyes filled with so much indifference.

"Moblit, put him in his cell." She commanded, head high as if looking down at him. "I'll give him more time to think this over." She turned her back on him, walking away.

However, as Hange turned around, she was surprised to see all her men pointing their guns at her.

She was about to question them when someone suddenly snatched the gun from her hand. Turning around, the hazel orbs in her eyes widened in so much surprise upon taking in the terrified look on Nifa's face, the gun she once held in her hand now in her grasp.

"Moblit! Moblit!" As if on impulse, she called for the only person she poured all her trust into. However, her hope came crashing down when she felt his presence behind her, grabbing both her hands to her back and rashly tied it as she struggled around. "Moblit—Nifa... Keiji—no, everyone! Wait?! Why!?"

She soon felt weak when she caught an eye of Levi who's now standing in front of her, fixing the cuffs of his sleeves and tightening his necktie. His icy blue eyes looked down at her, sitting on the cold surface on the floor, both her hands tied behind. Words couldn't formulate in Hange's mind as she felt so lost and shocked at everything that has happened. Everything was happening too fast. Disbelief was still circling around her mind.

The next words Levi mouthed was enough to let Hange's world crumble down.

"Put her in her cell."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 313 11
It's almost Feb. 14. Who's my valentine?! Hanji thought to herself. Levi caught her eye. HE'S THE ONE!!! Levi wants Hanji to convince him. ♡Can Hanji...
8.4K 472 19
Forgotten everything but his first name, Levi is hit by a wave from his past. Now he has a choice to make: either go back to his past or continue liv...
13.4K 618 33
When Levi was a little boy, Princess Hanji rescued him from a terrible fate. From that day forth, Levi was in her debt. As they grew older, Levi knew...
2.4K 160 13
After separating with a crazy ex, Hongjoong comes to a club to drink and let loose for once, not knowing that his ex is following his every move. W...