To the Sun, to the Stars, to...

By Hole-y_Being

Everything was going fine in the rebellion until the prince showed up. Or, according to the leader at least... More

Chapter 1: A Stupid Prince Crashes Our Party
E/n
Chapter 3: A Little Surprise for my Girlfriend, No Thievery or Murder Involved
Chapter 4: The Silent Soldier
Chapter 5: Nico Thinks Everyone Here is a Little Bit Dumb
Chapter 6: A Serious Game of Simon Says
E/n
Chapter 7: Tokens of Love
Chapter 8: A Grave to Accompany the Name Nico di Angelo
Chapter 9: When It Catches Up
Chapter 10: Red Berries and Poison
Chapter 11: Literally Every Single Person Hates Octavian
Chapter 12: Dueling Only So I Look Hot
Chapter 13: We Start the Trek
Chapter 14: The Name On The Letter
Chapter 15: Framed
Chapter 16: Betrayal While Planning For Battle
Chapter 17: The Other Side of Battle
Chapter 18: Assassination and Espionage
Chapter 19: Back to Stone, To Be A Soldier
Chapter 20: To Be A Bad Soldier
Chapter 21: Spies Revealed, A Royal Killed
Chapter 22: The End of the Month
Y'all Know You Love me
Chapter 23: That Awkward Moment When You Kill Your Boyfriend's Dad
Chapter 24: Waiting Outside
Chapter 25: Among the Blossoms
Epilogue
New Book: On Board (Pirate AU)

Chapter 2: To the Sun, to the Clouds

325 13 20
By Hole-y_Being

I stood in line, back perfectly straight (A/N: gay). General Ares had not let us relax since we were called in this morning, and I knew it was my fault. I had made a mistake. And now, hundreds of soldiers of various ages stood in their rank, fingers barely grazing foreheads and chins pointed to the sky. The general was on a rampage, and I was about to be in the line of fire.

"Number 1017. Approach."

I swallowed my fear as well as I could and marched to the general. There wasn't a single pair of eyes on me. They stared at the sun, at the clouds, at the sky. Never at the poor soul about to have his rank tag revoked. You never look at a man about to have his rank tag revoked.

I tightened my jaw and tried to control my breathing as I finished the last few steps. My heart was beating out of my chest. My hands were sweating. I didn't look at the general; I looked at the ground. Don't look at your superior, and don't break form.

God, Nico. I really wish you hadn't broken form, I cursed myself as the general inspected me. Looking for any weakness in my posture, any injury, or any fear evident on my face. He wouldn't find any. My stance was perfect, my expression was neutral, and I was standing before the general about to have my rank card repealed. To be given to another soldier. Hopefully a soldier who's better than me, someone who doesn't fucking break form, you idiot! If only Bianca hadn't reached for the red berries. If only I hadn't tried to save her.

The general narrowed his eyes. He was in perfect shape, with very squared out features. Everything about him was sharp, including his tone as he addressed me. "Soldier 1017. Are you aware of the crime you've been brought up here for? Speak."

I was going to curse myself if I showed any signs of panic. Panic is weakness, and Nico di Angelo was not weak. I had trained, I had fought, I almost killed to be alive right now, and I could not believe I was up here right now because—

"I broke form during a test without permission from a superior, sir."

The general twitched, irritated. "Broke form."

I tried to breathe, but my lungs hurt. I was so terrified; my lungs were starting to hurt. God damn it.

"You're telling me you survived this long just to break the first rule you ever learned."

Trust me, General. I'm thinking the same thing I thought bitterly. Of course, this would be my end. A simple code break.

"Break form only to give me your rank card, soldier," he ordered. I obeyed swiftly, and the card which was usually pinned semi-proudly to the front pocket of my shirt was now being handed over, signaling my demise. "Your execution will take place at Heraizdawurst Bay tomorrow morning. I hope you get a good night's sleep, 1017. And I hope whatever you broke form for was worth it. Go back to your rank." His voice was disappointed—I had been a good soldier, one of the best. Out of all of the soldiers across the country, I was almost in the top thousand. And now, someone else would be in the top thousand as I'm shot tomorrow on the beach. All I could do as I stood there was curse my stupidity and Bianca's naivety.

I marched all the way back, dread sitting heavily in my stomach, past women and men and enbies all keeping their apathetic eyes to the sky, to the clouds, to the sun. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.5K 509 18
Percy finds out about Nico's crush earlier than planned. And it's on neither of their terms. Until Percy gives him some good advice. Advice Nico take...
4.9K 314 39
"You are the best", Will answered. "That's not possible. You are the best already." He pouted for a little time, thinking about a way to beat me in...
25.5K 665 40
After a Summer of fighting, hooking up, and then breaking up, senior year has finally arrived for Nico and Will. As Nico's rise to popularity (at...
128K 3.4K 40
Three days in the infirmary. That's many how full days Nico will have with Will. They both want a connection between each other, but are too nervous...