Hunters' Shadow (Book one of...

By EmmaConnolly379

Twenty Six year old Blake Hunter is the Alpha of the largest pack in the region. Finding his mate is the last... More

Foreword
Prologue (Edited)
Chapter One (Edited)
Chapter Two (Edited)
Chapter Three (Edited)
Chapter Four (Edited)
Chapter Five (Edited)
Chapter Six (Edited)
Chapter Seven (Edited)
Chapter Eight (Edited)
Chapter Nine (Edited)
Chapter Ten (Edited)
Chapter Eleven (Edited)
Chapter Twelve (Edited)
Chapter Thirteen (Edited)
Chapter Fourteen (Edited)
Chapter Fifteen (Edited)
Chapter Sixteen (Edited)
Chapter Seventeen (Edited)
Chapter Eighteen (Edited)
Chapter Nineteen (Edited)
Chapter Twenty (Edited)
Chapter Twenty One (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Two (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Three (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Four (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Five (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Six (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Seven (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Eight (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Nine (Edited)
Chapter Thirty (Edited)
Chapter Thirty One (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Two (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Three (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Four (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Five (Edit)
Chapter Thirty Six (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Seven (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Eight (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Nine (Edited)
Chapter Forty (Edited)
Chapter Forty One (Edited)
Chapter Forty Two (Edited)
Chapter Forty Three (Edited)
Chapter Forty Four (Edited)
Part Two
Chapter Forty Five (Edited)
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Epilogue

Chapter Sixty Five

4.3K 220 26
By EmmaConnolly379

About an hour before the rays of dawn began to filter through the trees, the forest surrounding Elmwood stirred with the first signs of life. Twilight had tinged the landscape a bluish grey, enhancing the chill of winter, and only the hardiest creatures ventured from their snug little burrows to search for food.

Below the frost-kissed pines, the fallen needles created a thick carpet that protected the ground from the worst of the winter chill, and muffled the cautious approach of the Blackridge wolves. Elmwood lay quiet, the outer edges of the territory still wrapped in a cocoon of peaceful slumber, despite the gathering threat on its doorstep.

Blake slowed to a halt a few yards from the border, one paw tantalisingly close to the invisible barrier, his nose twitching as he scented the air. A half hearted attempt had been made to reinforce the faded borderline and the Elmwood scent was now only mildly undetectable, rather than mostly absent.

There was no sign of the expected resistance.

He shook the moisture from his fur, flinging tiny droplets in all directions and shifted back into his human form, a frown of disquiet across his face and Rothan whined his disapproval, pushing back against his human's inaction. He had only one goal, and he saw no reason to delay.

Blake ignored him. As Alpha, he was forced to acknowledge the bigger picture. One step over the border and there was no going back. Blake had come here, not as a diplomatic entourage, but with an army of thirty wolves at his back. Uninvited. Hostile. The first open declaration of war between two packs since the Chaos wars.

“Well this is... disappointing,” his Gamma sniffed. “I know you said the border was weak, but this is ridiculous.”

Blake grunted, giving nothing away, but his frown deepened. He's right, he agreed silently, directing his concerns to his wolf. What kind of a pack prepares for an invasion and leaves their border so unprotected?

Weak packs have weak borders, Rothan sniffed dismissively, eager to cross over and find his mate.

Weak packs counteract their lack of dominance with a strong warrior presence, Blake reminded him. I don't see any patrols, do you? He allowed his gaze to travel the length of the forest, giving his wolf ample time to register the deserted landscape. Elmwood isn't weak. It's Syrus, he's playing games.

"Don't be fooled." Thin and scruffy, Elmwood's former heir approached the edge of the territory to confirm Blake's suspicions, his nose wrinkling as he detected the familiar scent of his home. “They want you to cross over the line."

“What good will that do?” Alex snorted. “They just made things easier for us. An inattentive enemy, is a dead enemy.”

A low whine of disquiet escaped Kaden's muzzle and Blake supressed a sigh of frustration. One of these days Alex was going to learn to keep his muzzle to himself. His piercing gaze fell upon the Elmwood wolf. In contrast with the Alpha's outward appearance of calm control, Kaden's flanks shuddered as he stared between the silent trees, his powerful muscles bunched up in tension.

“He's forcing you to make the first move. Exposing you as the aggressors. He’ll claim you attacked without provocation, weaken your case with the Elder council”

Not if he's dead he won't, Rothan snarled. Blake's left foot twitched as the wolf tugged on their shared control in an impatient attempt to force his other half over the line. You're wasting time.

Hush.

"Are you alright?" Blake asked the Elmwood wolf quietly.

"Don't concern yourself with me, I'm fine." Though his voice remained steady, Kaden's eyes shone dark, and he avoided meeting Blake's questioning stare. "My wolf is just having a hard time resigning himself to the prospect of invading our own pack." He shook his coat out, loosening a few pine needles stubbornly clinging to the thick fur. "I know it's necessary, but it feels wrong all the same. Like I'm betraying them."

"They betrayed you first," Alex muttered from his position nearby.

Kaden twisted his head to look at the Gamma. "Not all of them," he disagreed. "There are a lot of good wolves in Elmwood.” He hunched his shoulders, eyes tracking the line of grim-faced warriors. “They don't deserve the chaos my father has brought down on them."

“You’re not betraying them. You're helping them,” Blake reminded him softly. “We don’t want blood shed anymore than you do.”

Alex's grey shadow slipped between them, his head brushing against the Alpha’s hip as he let out a small snort of disagreement and this time Blake seriously considered biting him. “Your knowledge will help us win this with as few casualties as possible, on both sides."

"They don't know you're alive," the irrepressible wolf agreed with a feral grin, his eagerness filtering through his words. "So, they won't alter any of their defences. Just point us in the right direction and let us do all the work."

Kaden stared at Alex, his ears flicking, and a shudder of unease ran through his fur. With every step they took closer to Elmwood, Blake had felt the young wolf's uncertainty grow. Working against your pack was no easy decision, even under the shadow of the monumental betrayal Kaden had already suffered... and Alex's enthusiasm wasn't helping.

Blake let out a slow breath. I’m going to string him up when we get home. His foot twitched again. Stop that, he ordered his wolf. He received a low growl in return. Casting Alex a glare that encouraged absolute silence from this moment on, he turned once again to scrutinise the too-quiet forest with morbid contemplation. “Something isn't right,” he muttered to himself.

Minutes passed, and the wolves waited for their Alpha's command. Rothan had no such patience.

“Hannah's in Elmwood.” Asher's voice echoed around Blake’s mind as Rothan threw image after image into their shared conscience, desperate to get his human moving. Flashes of a tangle of red hair across a sleeping face, the sensation of a hand curled tentatively around his own as a pair of vivid green eyes stared up at him, the tantalising scent of apples mixing with her unique scent as he cradled her body in his arms...

Blake shook his head, blinking rapidly to dispel the barrage of memories assaulting his senses. “Stop that!” he snapped again firmly, throwing an image of his own into the mix. An image of Marcus, lying bloody and dying on the forest floor.

His wolf paused, startled by the vivid memory.

I want to get to her as much as you do, Blake asserted slowly, exerting every ounce of control he could muster upon his wolf. But I won't step into anything blind. Not when we can't guarantee that Simon didn't hand over more of our weapons to Elmwood.

Rothan snarled, instinct warring with reluctant agreement, and Blake stared into the trees. “Something isn't right,” he muttered again.

A third shadow weaved its way between the gathering wolves. As dull in the twilight as the rest, but with a coat carrying several small patches of silver where cauterised wounds had forever changed the colour of the fur.

“I don't mean to push you Alpha,” the Beta murmured respectfully over the link. “But if we don't move soon we're at risk of an early morning hiker seeing us. There are several trails that run past here and the last thing we need is the local papers getting wind of a large pack of wolves in the area. It might be a little hard to explain away.”

The Alpha said nothing, his thoughts focused on an internal battle with his frustrated wolf.

Marcus tried again. “Might I suggest ordering a shift?”

Alex began to shake as he chuckled openly, unable to keep quiet when faced with such an image. “Oh yes, Because stumbling across a large group of butt naked men hanging around together in the middle of the forest? That wouldn't be at all scandalous.”

“At least it wouldn't attract as much attention,” the Beta snapped.

“Are you sure about that?” Alex queried, his mouth open in a lopsided, wolfy grin. “I think Elmwood might find itself accommodating an entirely different kind of hiker, once the rumours got out.”

A ripple of mirth spread down the line, but it was Kaden's unexpected snort of amusement that finally drew the Alpha's attention. “Sorry,” the young wolf murmured, his ears twitching uncontrollably as his expression morphed between amusement and embarrassment. “That was entirely inappropriate, considering the circumstances.” He let out another loud snort, then shifted to his human form, the change surprisingly fluid for a wolf so out of practice. “I haven't laughed in so long,” he explained simply.

Blake nodded. He allowed his gaze to follow the long line of wolves spread out on either side of him, a thoughtful expression on his face. “I just wish I knew what was waiting for us,” he confided. “Something’s off. I don't know what, but it's just too quiet.”

Kaden’s eyebrows rose, a frown of concern returning to his haggard features.

“Can't you listen in with that Alpha spy thing you two do?” Alex interjected. “Find out what's going on over the link?”

“No.” Blake frowned. "It doesn't work that way. It's like hovering near a door to eavesdrop on the other side. It's pointless trying to listen in to the conversation from across the room, you're too far away, everything's muffled. You have to get close enough to feel the grain of the wood against your ear."

Kaden nodded his agreement. “I could only pick up the guards conversations when they were almost directly outside my cell. Any further away and it's like trying to listen to the radio while driving through a tunnel. The static gets in the way. You're right.” He turned to the Alpha. “I should still be picking up something from the link. My father would have wolves out there, tracking your movements. But...” His eyes crinkled as he focused his powerful hearing on the trees beyond. “There's nothing. Where are they all?”

“I'm getting the strongest sense of de ja vu,” Alex observed sourly.

Blake stared out into the ancient pines. “We stick to the original plan,” he announced finally, his voice carrying across the line. “The clearing is about half a mile in, we’ll reconvene there. Spread out, take out any resistance along the way, and tread carefully,” he cautioned. “Keep one eye on the trees.” With an expression of a man stepping into the abyss, he allowed Rothan to take control of their shift, and the gigantic black wolf crossed the invisible line, leading his pack into the heart of the Elmwood territory.

On silent paws, the wolves slipped between uniform lines of evergreen trees, their eyes constantly alert for hidden dangers. No other trees had found purchase amongst the army of pines – years of tearing the young saplings up by the roots ensuring a singular, uniform landscape within the Elmwood borders. The lack of variety had given the forest floor a chance to explode with life, and they picked their way tentatively through a thick carpet of ferns, sedges and soft feather moss.

Whether by accident or design, the toxic Dogs Mercury that grew in abundance, proved an effective and frustrating barrier to Blake's hopes of a swift attack. Large swathes of the dark green plants fought for space and sunlight, and the wolves made every effort to avoid brushing against the spear-shaped leaves capable of burning skin and fur alike.

A small clearing lay not far from the border, a natural crossroads of game trails that stretched between the forts and the lower village. Free of trees, the ferns had quickly taken over, creating a thick carpet of luscious, evergreen foliage and Blake silently called a halt to their advance, sinking down into the undergrowth until only his ears were visible above the feathery leaves.

The two lieutenants followed, shifting into human form as they emerged from the trees, seeking out the Omegas that carried their clothes and weaponry. At a silent signal, several warriors joined their ranks, steam rising from their torsos as cold air met exposed skin. Moving with quiet and well-trained efficiency it took only minutes to regroup and prepare.

Casting his eyes across the clearing Blake was surprised to spot Jenni  bustling amongst the arrivals, checking on any burns from their encounter with the plants. He wondered how much influence the tiny nurse had had to exert over her father to persuade him to let her take his place.  As their eyes met, she bowed her head in respectful submission, and Blake flicked one ear in response, his golden eyes conveying his gratitude for her bravery. Jenni blushed at his acknowledgement, delighted as always to be noticed by the Alpha.

“You couldn't have warned us about the Dog's Mercury?” Alex grumbled to Kaden, examining a fresh welt on his arm.

“It wasn't here two years ago,” Kaden murmured. “At least, not so prolifically. We used to send out workers to keep it under control. I guess they stopped.”

“Seems strangely counterproductive to allow a plant deadly to werewolves survive at all inside the packs borders.” Marcus noted with a small frown.

“It has its uses.” Kaden twitched one ear in a gesture of amusement. “Even in small amounts it can be enough to slow invaders.”

“Why don't the patrols just stop invaders before they cross the border like civilised wolves?” Alex continued to grumble, a hiss escaping between his teeth as he poked at more burns on his ankles.

Kaden shrugged. “Because this way there are no survivors to tell tales to our enemies.”

“Because this way they can spend all night in the warm and dry,” Alex snorted critically.

Kaden responded with a half-hearted snap of his teeth.

"Doesn't that just filter them further into your territory?” Marcus asked. “A large invading force like ours will reach the lower village long before the warriors make it out of the forts."

"Yes," Kaden nodded. "And that used to be the whole point. The lower village was never intended to be occupied. To be honest, we don't really need it. The upper village is heavily fortified, and half the buildings are empty. We could easily fit the whole pack up there."

"Then why don't you?" Marcus accused. "I've seen the lower village, It's barely fit for purpose."

Kaden shrugged. “The pack has always been segregated according to rank, but it was my great grandfather that first utilised the lower village."

"Wait." Alex scowled, stopping dead half-way through examining his torso for more welts. "You mean the lower village is bait? You want the invaders to go there so you can round them up and pick them off?"

"Pretty much, yes. It wasn't built to be lived in. Rogues can't resist anything that looks like a settlement." Kaden gave a bitter chuckle. "They always head for the lower village, regardless of where they cross over. It's like a shining diamond they refuse to believe might be fake."

"But, what about the villagers?” Alex protested, his voice incredulous. “It's not fake any more, is it?"

"We have a very effective early warning system." Kaden shifted his weight once again, itching to scratch at a still-healing wound near his groin. "All the rogues ever find is an abandoned shell.” He shrugged. “In a way, it's even more effective now, because they can smell recent activity. Plus, it's the loot they're after, so they forget all about searching for wolves, and start raiding the empty houses. Then all we have to do is circle the village and finish them off.”

Alex let out a snort of disapproval. To Blake's relief, Marcus chose that moment to lob a small tin of ointment in Alex's direction.

“What's this?”

“For the burns, Alex,” Marcus replied with a sigh. “Next time, you might want to consider travelling around the poisonous plants, rather than straight through the middle.” He sent a wink in Jenni's direction, and she returned the gesture with a hesitant smile.

“My way's faster.” Alex asserted with a sniff.

Blake stood up, and turned towards the gathered wolves. “I need volunteers.” He announced. “Anyone not essential to subdue the forts, and willing to step away from the fight to find my – " he hesitated. “To find Hannah.”

Jenni's shy smile faded to be replaced with a frown of extreme disquiet, and she began to gnaw on her bottom lip as Blake briefly outlined Hannah's precarious situation.

“My last communication with Asher suggests she's headed for the pyres,” he concluded. “Elmwood warriors may be in pursuit. I want our wolves waiting for her.”

“I'll do it.” Jenni's voice, soft but assertive, spoke up before any others. “I want to help.”

Blake turned to stare at her in surprise. “You're not a warrior,” he pointed out.

“Exactly,” she said, an earnest expression on her face. “You need all of your warriors. I'm practically surplus to requirements. My nurses know what to do, and until the casualties start flowing in... I can handle myself.” she added with a shrug.

“I'll go with her,” a new voice spoke up from amidst the ferns.

Blake turned his head to address the volunteer. A grey wolf, small in comparison to Blake, but with muscles built for speed and agility. Blake offered him a nod of thanks, and a questioning look.

“I owe her a debt,” he offered simply. “One I thought I might never get the chance to repay. Now, Goddess willing, I can.”

Before Blake could inquire further, a third voice joined the others. “I'll go too.”

An Omega. It took Blake a moment to place him. Adrian, the young pack-handler who had played witness at the trial.

“Omega's tend to be ignored in battle,” the boy continued. “We're not really worth the energy. I can get them through.” His eyes were wide with earnest admiration, but his gaze fell, not on the Alpha, but the small nurse that he hovered over in a protective manner. Jenni seemed not to notice his attentions, her eyes fixed on her Alpha in anticipation of his approval.

The lieutenants exchanged a knowing glance. There was little need to ask why he had volunteered.

Blake nodded. “Okay then. Don't make a move until both forts are fully engaged. Alert me if you need back up. No heroics. Find her, and bring her straight to me.”

“In the middle of battle?” The young warrior queried with a frown.

“Straight to me,” Blake repeated, emphasising the words with his Alpha authority. Better to him than out there alone where he couldn't protect her.

“How do you plan to bypass the forts?” Kaden asked the Alpha, watching the preparations with nervous eyes.

“We won't.” Blake shook his huge head, the sleek black fur shedding drops of morning dew as it swayed from side to side.

Right on cue Liam made his way toward the two wolves, his arms laden with several small, but ominous-looking canisters. They resembled miniature oxygen tanks without any of the official labelling. A complex trigger sat snug against the side of the metal tank.

“Careful, man!” Alex hissed, with wild eyes as the Omega unceremoniously dumped his load onto the ground.

“Relax,” Liam chuckled. He crouched next to the growing pile, several lengths of rope in one hand. “They won't ignite unless we loosen the valves.” As though to emphasise their harmlessness, he tossed one into the air, catching it deftly in one hand before tying it to one end of the rope.

“Must you?” Alex complained weakly.

Liam grinned and continued to thread the canisters onto the ropes until they lay in two large clusters on the forest floor.

“What in Goddess name are they?” Kaden asked, his eyes filled with consternation.

“Steam bomb,” Marcus grunted from nearby. “One of Liam's new toys. He got the idea from Ethan's pack a couple of years ago. Don't ask me how it works, something to do with explosive decompression.”

Kaden looked blank, concern still clouding his features.

“It's an explosion without the usual fiery side effect,” Liam explained, as two of his wolves hauled the bundles of silver canisters over their shoulders. “All the boom, none of the bang. The Darkmoon pack is as fond of its engineers as it is its warriors, they've been trying for years to find a way to blow things up without burning down the forest.” At a silent signal, he led his group up a narrow trail to the north. A dozen wolves followed, their paws silent on the soft ground.

“First chance Liam's had to try it out,” Marcus added. “They’ll make short work of the Northern fort. Even the most seasoned warrior is going to have trouble withstanding those explosions.” He turned to look inquiringly at his friend. "Our turn?" he queried.

"Oh yes," Alex agreed fervently. “Preferably in the opposite direction to those." The blond behemoth let out a low whistle, and another Omega emerged from the trees, loaded down with multiple burlap packs. Alex looked him over and relieved him of two of them, tossing one carelessly to Marcus.

The Beta’s eyes turned wild. Reaching out with one enormous hand, he caught the flying pack with all the care one would offer a live snake, simultaneously shooting Alex a look of irritation. “If this thing opens before we're ready I'll swing for you!”

"More explosions?" Kaden grimaced.

“Not exactly,” Marcus muttered, as Alex let out a vicious chuckle. “The Twins are spread out over a mile apart, and there are too many underground passages to cover all the entrances at once. They require a... different approach to neutralize them.”

"They won't go down easy," Kaden warned. "And they'll be scattered all along the tunnels as well. Take out one fort, and they'll just retreat to the other and double their defences "

"That's why we plan on taking them both at the same time." Marcus smiled, a glint of mischief appearing behind his eyes.

"How – "

The two lieutenants exchanged a look. "Don't worry." The Gamma grinned, his eyes flashing with excitement. "They won't know what hit them."

“You promised me we'd keep the deaths to a minimum." Kaden growled.

“And we will,” Blake spoke finally. “You said yourself the Northern fort will never surrender. Liam’s bombs will neutralise them without risking the lives of my wolves. In contrast, Alex and Marcus plan to flush the Twins out with minimal casualties.”

Marcus raised his eyebrows. “Well, no deaths anyway,” he added. “You might have to redefine ‘casualty' once we're done.”

Blake gave them both a sharp and suspicious look. “What are you up to?”

Alex offered up the most unconvincingly innocent smile in return, every tooth exposed as his head lolled to one side. The Beta studiously avoiding his Alpha's steady gaze altogether.

Blake swallowed the groan that threatened to escape him. “Don't make me regret letting you two deal with this alone.”

"Trust us," Marcus reassured him.

There followed a bleak silence as Blake glared at the two wolves. The lieutenants exchanged a nervous glance before simultaneously plastering an identical look of calculated innocence across their faces.

"We got this," Alex added in what he clearly hoped was a confident, reassuring tone.

The Alpha's gaze grew, if anything, even fiercer, and deep rumble emanated from between his clenched teeth as his mind ran over the myriad of possibilities

He’s right. Rothan interrupted. Let them deal with the forts. The quicker we find Riker, the quicker we find Hannah.”

It was with enormous effort that Blake stifled a groan, turning instead towards the trees.

"You're not going to question them?" Kaden eyed the raggedy backpacks with great suspicion as he followed the Alpha out of earshot.

Blake thought carefully before answering. "Sometimes you have to give your Lieutenants room to do their job."

Deep in his head, his wolf snorted. More likely, if you ask, you risk them answering.

Blake ignored him, and Kaden continued to look entirely unconvinced.

Blake sighed. "They know what they're doing." He glanced at the Elmwood heir. "I trust them."

If you ask, Blake's wolf persisted. They'll be forced to tell you the highly dangerous, ridiculously stupid plan they've come up with. Then you, as a responsible Alpha, will be obliged to stop them... which would defeat the purpose of having lieutenants in the first place.

Fairly sure that's what I said, Blake grunted. Stepping into the thick ferns, taking great care to ignore the small sigh of relief drifting towards him on the wind as it escaped his Beta's lips.

Shouldn't you warn him about the joys of leadership?

Why? If all goes to plan he'll be Alpha himself before the sun goes down. He'll figure out the details soon enough.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

648K 21.9K 59
In a world where werewolves no longer have fated mates, Blake wants someone who she knows will be there for her unconditionally. But she also wants h...
71.2K 3.8K 69
[BOOK #2 OF THE AWARD-WINNING EPSILON SERIES!] ❝I hate him. He's crude. Arrogant. Vile. I hate him so much that sometimes, when I look at him, I can...
1.7M 47.1K 46
"I set a alarm for a twelve o'clock so I could be the first one tell you happy birthday... happy birthday." I'm seventeen now. I turned the complete...
13.3K 912 111
When I locked my gaze with hers, everything became clearer. While my wolf screamed 'Mate' in my head with joy and excitement. I whispered with despai...