Things Change

By mrsmalfoy818

Hermione and Draco are forced into close proximity when they are made Head Prefects that share a common room... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 44

3.3K 94 17
By mrsmalfoy818

| "I'm not sure anyone knows what they're looking for until they find it."

-Keira Cass, The Hier |

Hermione's POV

When I woke the next morning, after the match, I reach up to rub my eyes - as I, including most people do when they wake - and I noted that the rim around the edges was sore. I hadn't remembered crying. There hadn't even been a reason to cry. Had there?

I thought back to what Draco told me. I still couldn't make sense of the whole "worrying about you" thing, I mean like seriously? He can't go around saying things willy-nilly like that.

I went to bed early, hoping to find comfort and escape from all the troubles day had brought, but that didn't happen. I hadn't had nightmares in so long, so it was weird that his words echoed in my head as the images came flooding back.

I was running, from what, I didn't know. I looked around, trying to figure out where I was going. Suddenly I paused, everything seemed to freeze. All I could hear was my heart thudding in my chest. It was like déjavu. People I could not make out in hooded cloaks were closing in. People seemed to be frozen in mid-panic. Trying to escape or fight or who knows. I looked around, scanning the frantic mass of people. As someone called my name, everything seemed to resume in full-motion. I looked around for the boy I knew had called my name. As I spotted his unmistakable blonde hair coming towards me - running towards me - I registered the fear on his face. He was trying to yell something to me, but I couldn't make out what he was saying over the screams of everyone else. He was obviously aware of something I clearly was not. As he registered that he wouldn't be able to get his message acrossed and that he was still too far away, he urgently gestured to my right. I whipped my head around to see a bright light coming towards me. I had amazing reaction time, just not good enough. It was too late. As I tried to move, I felt it hit my shoulder. The last thing I saw was his face. The pain was evident, even through the blood and grime.

I had many others, but this was the one that bothered me the most. It just seemed so real, like it actually had happened, and that's what scared me the most. It's creepy how realistic things can feel.

So maybe I had cried? I hope no one heard me, for Merlin's sake. I dragged myself out of bed and moped into the bathroom. Usually, I'm the one who's excited for classes, but lately, I'm just not feeling it and wished they would all go away. Not to mention, he happened to be in most of them.

Luckily, he was either gone or still asleep because once I was out of the shower, I didn't hear a peep from anywhere else in the common room. I shouldn't have came to such a quick conclusion.

Draco's POV

I had woken up early this morning, like before the sun was completely up. I moaned and buried my head back into the pillow, praying for sleep to come. But, as I suspected, it never did. I yawned as I streched, and rolled out of bed. Literally rolled. Right onto the floor.

I groaned and layed face flat on the floor for a moment, and reluctantly pushed myself off the floor. I was really regretting telling Hermione that last night. Now she was probably suspecting more. I groaned once again as I dragged my feet into the common room. The ambers from the fire were crackling. I pulled out my wand and mumbled a spell that made the fire erupt into giant blue flames.

Good enough, I thought to myself. I thought about catching up on some homework but realised that I didn't have any left. I had had so much free time lately that I had actually been doing good in school. I pictured there was a disgusted look on my face as I thought about that.

I could read a book...? Nope, already read them all at least twice. Go back to sleep? Already tried that. What was there to do for the next couple hours? I decided to get dressed for classes, but then what? Work on charms? We've got that test coming up and you've never been particularly good at them. I silently agreed, and pulled out my wand and slowly went to retrieve my Charms book and notes.

I plopped down on the couch, and opened to a random page. The Flowering Charm. Most of this was review, from past years, but this was one we had just recently learned. This one was particularly easy though, so I flipped to another page.

Amorvenit. I mentally groaned. Back towards the beginning of the year I had received a zero on this "assignment" because apparently I was casting it wrong, even though the mist came out of my wand, and then dissolved. It was because I hadn't cared deeply enough about anything, not because I wasn't doing it correctly. But, now...What if?

I put the book on the coffee table where I'd be able to see it and stood up. I took a deep breath, preparing myself for either outcome. I really hoped it wouldn't turn into what I was thinking, because then my fear would become true. It'd become my weak spot.

As I moved my wand in a circular motion, remember to swish and flick, I whispered the incantation.

I watched as the mist slowly creeped out of my wand, like fog. But this time, it was different. It floated a little into the air, about eye level, and started to turn brown. Just as I noticed it was taking shape of a particularly familiar, frizzy, brown hair, I heard someone breath in sharply. I quickly dropped my wand, and the pink mist fizzled to the ground.

I whipped my head around to find Granger with her hand over her mouth, like she was hoping that if she did that, I wouldn't know it was her.

I quickly grabbed my robe off the chair and left without another word.

No POV

Draco's head was swirling, he couldn't grasp on to any one thought. He almost felt sick. He thought his head would expload any mintute. His heart was pounding rapidly in his chest and he could hear the blood rushing to his ears. His breath was pitchy, and he was walking as fast as he could, without running, to get away from there.

He started to wonder why the universe was always against him. He was trying his best to make things right but... there was that one thing...

Hermione hadn't moved from the spot Draco had found her. Certainly, her eyes had fooled her. She knew what the spell did, and, well, she didn't really think what had just happened to be possible. A trick of the light? She thought, and moaned because she knew she was kidding herself. She didn't want to accept the fact that it actually had happened.

But as she came to the conclusion that that had been her, her heart fluttered in her chest. Hope, maybe?

The more she knew, the more confused she became and wished she hadn't knew anything at all.

As she finally managed to gather herself, she grabbed her bag and started towards the Great Hall.

As she got to the doors, she quickly looked for Draco, but she didn't see him. As she sat down next to her friends, she was immediately bored by their conversation about quidditch.

As she munched slowly, she tried to think. She thought that the best thing to do was forget about it. Forget about him. Just pretend that none of this had happened. Just when she thought about getting up, a little boy ran over to them.

He tugged on Hermione's cloak, and they turned to look at him.

"Professor Trelawney would like to see you," he mumbled before scurrying off.

She gave Harry a questioning look.

"I'd better come with you," he said curiously, then gave Ginny a kiss before leaving with Hermione.

"Why does she want to see me," Hermione asked. "I've never been in her "good book"..."

Harry pondered it over for a minute. "She probably just wants to tell us this prediction of how she sees great danger ahead and we need to beware," he said with a forced chuckle. He was really thinking about the other two predictions she had made that changed their lives. Maybe she had a real prediction, and Harry became nervous thinking about it.

Hermione looked at him questioningly but didn't press the matter.

Once they reached the astronomy tower, Hermione climbed the ladder first, and almost choked on all the smoke. Harry was shortly behind her.

"Geez, there's more smoke than usual," he observed, waving it away from his face.

Hermione squinted and tried to she through the smoke.

"Where is she?" she asked.

Harry was about so say he didn't know when there was a weird sound coming from the corner.

Hermione jumped, and slowly followed Harry.

At first they thought she was asleep. But her eyes slowly blinked open. They were heavily glossed over. Trelawney opened her mouth several times and licked her lips.

Harry leaned over towards Hermione. "Listen very carefully to what she says," he whispered and focused back on the old woman.

"Dark times are near," she said in a low, raspy voice. "He will rise once more. But be aware that you cannot defeat him alone. He will be more powerful and far more angry. You must join forces with one who may not be your first choice. Watch out for any who try to be your friend, for they may be looking for anything but friendship." With that she gave a jolt, and closed her eyes once more. She slowly looked around, and stopped on Harry and Hermione. She smiled at Harry and it faded as she stared at Hermione.

"Ah, what do I owe the pleasure," she said looking back at Harry.

"Er, you didn't ask for us?"

"No," she said whisply, getting to her feet.

"Uh, okay then. Goodbye, Professor," Hermione mumbled dragging Harry down the ladder.

Harry slowly registered what they had been told. His face turned white as all the color left him, and he felt as though everything was over.

Hermione felt her heart slow down, and she imagined she looked shocked.

They didn't say anything for a while. Just drinking it all in.

Then suddenly Harry shook his head. "Malfoy," he whispered.

Hermione was pulled from her thoughts at his name. "What about him," she asked him, just as equally quiet.

"Beware of any who try to be your friend, they may be looking for anything but friendship," he repeated. "He's got to be the one. He's the only one who just started trying to become friends with us - well you anyway." Hermione blushed a bit as Harry brainstormed. "Yes! It's got to be him," he cheered. "That was easier than I thought. Now the other part? Who is someone that we wouldn't necessarily fight with?"

Hermione thought it over. And before she could help herself, Draco's name slipped out of her mouth.

Harry pinched the ridge of his nose, "Of course!" He wasn't very excited anymore. His face was scrunched up in thought. "He could be either. But I think he's the one we should worry about. He's been trying to be friendly with you, Hermione, we've all noticed it." Hermione bit at her bottom lip. "Just stay away from him, he's probably working against us. Trying to mess with our heads."

Hermione opened her mouth to say something. That Draco wasn't that bad, but she closed it, and slightly nodded. "Of course, Harry," she said with a smile. She knew better than to disagree with him at times like this.

Hermione looked down at her watch. "Lets go," she said, beginning to walk down the corridor.

Harry took a seat next to Ginny, and the seat next to Ginny was taken by Dean, so Hermione sat a few seats away.

Now we all know Hermione's one to pay close attention, take notes, and answer all the questions possible, but as she listened to Slughorn drone on in a monotonous voice, rambling on about healing potions, she didn't pay much attention. Instead she thought about Trelawney's prediction.

She was deep in thought when Slughorn slammed a book onto her desk.

"Miss Granger, I would appreciate it if you'd stop day dreaming and listen to me. I'd think that you'd want to pay attention, this is, after all, going to be on your NEWT's."

Hermione turned scarlet as everyone stared at her. "Yes, of course, Professor," she mumbled quietly, embarrassed having all attention drawn on her.

In the back off the classroom, Draco smirked as he refrained from laughing at her.

Throughout the rest of the day, Hermione made sure to not drift off again, but she still wasn't her usual, energetic self. She hadn't been that person much this year.

She skipped dinner, mumbling something about catching up on some homework - which was true - and slowly made her way up to the common room.

As she mumbled the password to Snape, who had become quiet after the first few weeks, and walked inside, she noticed Draco on the floor, in front of the fire. As she crept closer, she noticed he was reading a book. She smiled slightly to herself, and silently went into her room. Draco didn't notice anything but the soft click of her door shutting.

At least she's back here, he thought to himself. Maybe she doesn't hate me so much anymore. As he thought that, a small smile appeared on his face also, and he went back to reading his book, a cliché romance novel that he found lying on the table.

Quite a while later, as Draco went into his room, feeling relatively good, he noticed a rolled of piece of parchment. His name scrawled on it. His mood decreased quite a bit. It's not like he wasn't expecting another one, but he just hoped it would be farther away. This was too soon for him.

OxMrsFeltonxO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

815K 13.9K 32
When the war survivors from the school of Which Craft and Wizardry return to finish their remaining years, everyone seems to have different feelings...
433K 10.8K 27
"If she went, that was it. Everyone would know." Promiscuous, irreverent, but quick witted; Draco Malfoy seems to glide through life unbothered, yet...
619K 17.3K 38
The war is over. Everyone has to retake the previous year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is made Head Girl and Draco Malfoy is made Head Boy. Tensions...
71.5K 3K 31
Draco Malfoy is looking for a new start, hoping to set out to clear his name and begin again. Harry Potter is looking for a new normal, hoping to se...