UNMASKED

By Vapid_Ink

Eli thinks life would be a lot easier if Matthew would give up his crime fighting shenanigans. Granted, if he... More

UNMASKED
#01
#02
#03
#04
#06
#07
#08
#09
#10
#11
#12
#13
#14
#15
#16
#17
#18
#19
#20
#21
#22
#23
#24
A Very Important Doodle/Announcement
#25
#26
#27
#28
#29
#30
#31
#32
#33
#34

#05

6.2K 449 211
By Vapid_Ink

Matthew had gotten nearly stabbed. Again.

Eli supposed he should be glad the man only ended up with a nasty cut on his arm, but he was really just annoyed he was forced to—once again—stitch Matthew back up. Still, Matthew was right, Eli was getting better at stitches. Not a skill he really wanted, unfortunately.

"Do you even try to dodge?" Eli couldn't help but ask. Matthew gave him a look because apparently he was the one being unreasonable. "Just saying." Eli shrugged and continued stitching Matthew up.

"What can I say, criminals are getting more persistent," Matthew said, as he sat in the brightly lit bathroom, shirt off and all his various cuts and bruises on full display.

"Or maybe they're just used to you swooping down and beating the crap out of them," Eli pointed out from his perch on the bathtub's edge, right next to Matthew. After all, Matthew had been running around as Vigilante for a while. The element of surprise was long gone by then.

"They were surprised enough to see me around last week."

Eli supposed that was true, if only because Matthew had stayed out of the streets for nearly two weeks while he healed. It probably would have been a shorter absence if Eli hadn't been around to make sure Matthew rested.

"That's 'cause they thought you'd finally gone belly up." Eli carefully tied up the last of the stitches.

"I love how casually you talk about me dying," Matthew said flatly. Eli just shrugged, finally looking up at him.

"I mean, you're always almost dying." Which was true, though Eli still wished Matthew would try a bit harder to stay alive. Preferably by abandoning his crime fighting gig. Unfortunately, that didn't seem likely, which left Eli with the need to find more euphemisms to use in case of Matthew's untimely demise.

"I can just feel the love," Matthew deadpanned.

"I'd love you a hell of a lot more if you didn't wake me up in the middle of the night because you got stabbed."

"Almost stabbed," Matthew corrected. Then, he grinned. Eli didn't like that grin. "Oh, so you do love me."

"I will smack you in the stitches." Eli hoped his threat and glare would be effective despite the blush he just knew was on his face. For once, Matthew had pity on him. Or maybe he just took Eli's threat seriously. Whatever the case, he didn't keep picking on Eli. For about a minute.

"So, would you say there's love in every stitch?"

Eli simply glared and slapped on the bandage he'd just unwrapped before standing. He ignored Matthew's complaining, knowing he hadn't used that much force. Besides, Eli had seen Matthew take a gunshot with less whining.

"They're getting worse," Eli commented after a moment. He didn't look up from where he was cleaning and putting away the medical supplies into their large—and well supplied—first aid box.

Matthew finally stopped complaining. Clearly, he knew who Eli was talking about.

"Things will calm down eventually," Matthew said. Eli wasn't really convinced, mostly because things had been getting progressively worse instead of better.

"Well, at least you haven't run into that guy who kicked your ass again," Eli said, trying to look at the bright side.

"He didn't kick my ass." Eli did his best not to smirk at the sulky tone Matthew said that in. He wasn't very successful. "He didn't."

"Sure he didn't. You just crawled back home because it was fun." Eli really couldn't help it. It wasn't often that he could make fun of Matthew for losing a fight. Granted, he wished he didn't—or that he didn't fight at all in the first place. "Oh, stop sulking. You're back in one piece and that guy's gone now that Fisk's probably pissed at him for screwing up."

"Well, yeah, probably." Eli didn't like the uncertain tone of Matthew's voice.

"What do you mean probably?" Eli paused in his task, a bottle of antiseptic in his hand and a suspicious look on his face.

"Just saying, there's always the possibility that either Fisk'll keep him around or he'll find someone else to work for."

"Is that really possible? I mean, he really messed up and didn't even get rid of you. Which is good. Just, you know, not for the bad guys."

Matthew snorted at that before shaking his head. "He's still skilled. Even if he didn't work out for Fisk, others might want to try their luck."

"Even if he failed miserably at keeping his boss' buddies out of jail and lost him millions in weapons?"

"Sure. I mean, good help's hard to find these days and the guy I fought was good. I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into him again," Matthew said, grumbling the last bit.

Eli couldn't blame him. After all, he wasn't happy with the thought of that guy being out there. Of him maybe running into Matthew again. His brow furrowed as his thoughts turned to the way Matthew looked the last time that happened.

"I'll be fine," Matthew said. Then, he nearly made Eli jump as he leaned against him, arms going around the redhead. "Besides, if I die, who's gonna make sure you eat something other than cup noodles and hot pockets?" Eli actually snorted at that, and for once, he was glad for Matthew's habit of saying something stupid at the worst time.

"What are you, my mom?" He asked, not bothering to push Matthew off. That would just make him whine more. Instead, he continued with his task of putting things away. "Actually, nevermind, she actually fed me cup noodles and hot pockets."

"Well, that explains a lot," Matthew muttered, his warm breath rustling Eli's hair.

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding," Matthew added, though Eli didn't fail to note that he was clearly laughing. Eli still shut the newly organized first aid kit and turned to glare at Matthew. "Aw, you look cute when you're grumpy."

"Glad to see you're feeling well enough to be annoying." Eli wasn't sure whether he should be glad that was normal for Matthew. "Now hurry up and change. It's late and you need some sleep." He didn't want to think about how he'd feel in the morning after getting so little sleep.

"Now who's the mom?" Matthew got a towel to the face for that comment as Eli decided it was too late—or early, he didn't care which—to deal with Matthew. Especially when he was so committed to being an idiot.

He fell asleep nearly as soon as his head hit the pillow. The stress of everything going on in his life slowly fading away. It wasn't long after that he was vaguely aware of Matthew lying down next to him, pulling him closer and making Eli grumble in a half-asleep daze. Soon enough, he was able to settle down, Matthew's warm body at his back and the arms around him helping him get some much needed rest.

He wished he'd been able to wake up just as pleasantly.

Eli wasn't ashamed to admit he fell out of the bed. To be fair, he'd woken up an hour late and Matthew had decided he was going to do his best impression of a giant baby koala as he clung to Eli without even waking up, grumbling every time Eli tried to break free from his grasp. Eventually, he managed to free himself from Matthew's hold, but not without landing on the ground, right next to his bed.

He spared only a second to glare at Matthew before rushing off to get dressed. When Eli hurried out into the kitchen, still pulling on a sweater and dragging his backpack, Matthew was just starting breakfast.

"I've got late classes today, so feed Matt," Eli said, grabbing a pack of cookies from a cabinet and attempting to leave. Of course, Matthew stopped him by snatching his poor excuse for a breakfast out of his hand and holding out an apple instead. "Hey!"

"At least eat something that isn't compressed sugar," Matthew said with a look that made it clear there would be no junk food for breakfast under his watch. Eli glared, but it was clear Matthew wasn't budging. Reluctantly, he took the apple, scrunching up his nose as he looked at it.

"You're definitely worse than my mom," Eli muttered. Matthew just snickered at that, and followed Eli to the entrance, where the redhead paused to pet his cat. Matt never failed to both greet Eli and bid him goodbye, something else he had in common with his namesake.

Eli found that it was one of their similarities he didn't really mind.

"You know, Michael won't be too mad if you're late, so be careful on your way," Matthew reminded Eli as the redhead stood, his cat wandering off in search for a place to nap.

"He's also always a pain in the ass," Eli muttered. He grabbed his coat, pulling it on, and wasn;t even surprised when Matthew wrapped a scarf around his neck.

"It's gonna be cold today," was all Matthew said, smiling as he carefully arranged the scarf. "You know, I could pick you up. We could get something to eat on the way."

"No way, you have work to do." Both of them were all too aware of the work Matthew had been putting off. It was a wonder he ever got anything done, really.

"You're no fun."

"Well one of us has to be semi responsible." It was just odd that it would have to be Eli. "I'll see you later, alright."

"Hold on," Matthew said. He grabbed Eli's backpack, effectively stopping the redhead as he opened the door and made to step out.

Eli turned, wondering what Matthew wanted now. Before he could ask, Matthew leaned over, bending enough for their lips to meet. Eli felt his face heating up, even as he leaned into the kiss without thinking about it. As soon as Matthew pulled away, Eli found himself missing the warmth of his lips, even if his face was practically burning. He didn't think he would ever get used to the way Matthew would just kiss him out of nowhere.

"Well, that should keep you warm for a while," Matthew said with a grin, his blue eyes sparkling.

Eli just huffed, pulling the scarf around his neck up in a poor attempt at hiding his very red face. He could still hear Matthew snickering behind him as he walked out and shut the door.

# # #

As Eli expected, Michael was a pain in the ass. He bitched about Eli being ten minutes late even though Eli was never late despite the mess that was his life, and then he bitched just because it was fun and he was a terrible, terrible man. Honestly, it was very much the same as always, and Eli was fairly sure Michael actually enjoyed having something to complain about, if his grin was anything to go by. Eli still wanted to kick him in the shins.

He didn't. Mostly because Michael was still his boss, and apparently kicking one's boss in the shins was frowned upon. It was just a good thing that his shift was over before he could strangle Michael with a cleaning cloth.

"Huh, that's weird," Michael said as Eli wiped down the counter before he got ready to leave.

"What is?" Eli asked, and wondered if maybe he shouldn't have asked. The chances of Michael saying something to piss him off were fairly high.

"Matthew didn't stop by today. You guys aren't fighting are you?"

Eli's brow rose at the question as he stopped to look up at his boss.

"What? I worry about you guys," Michael said, sounding indignant. "And not just because Matthew buys enough coffee and pastries for me to take a cruise trip, but also because I'm just a caring sort of person."

"If it weren't rude, I'd call you on your bullshit," Eli deadpanned.

"But you're too considerate for that, right?" Michael grinned.

"Of course," Eli said, finishing up and reaching back to untie his apron. "But I'll pass on your concern to Matthew." If nothing else, it would give him a good laugh.

Eli was glad to get out of the shop—or just to get away from Michael, actually—right up until he realized the bus he took to school was running late and he was going to freeze to death at the bus stop. It wouldn't be the best way to go. He was just wondering whether Matthew would mourn him first or make stupid jokes when he had the odd sensation of being watched.

It wasn't really that odd a thing to happen to Eli. Not when Matthew liked to lurk around and make sure Eli got home in one piece. Still, it was the middle of the day and Eli was sure even Matthew wasn't dumb enough to step out as Vigilante at that time. Well, mostly sure.

As discreetly as he could, Eli looked around. There wasn't anyone who stood out, just the usual steady stream of people walking around. No one gave Eli so much as a second glance.

Still, Eli couldn't shake the feeling of someone watching him, and that feeling—and the familiarity of his current situation—was enough to unsettle him. It wasn't the same as when Matthew was around, acting as Vigilante. No, this time Eli could feel someone staring at him, the feeling prickling his skin and making him wonder if maybe he should head back to the shop. Sure, Michael was an asshole, but he wasn't evil enough to kick Eli out.

Fortunately for Eli, he didn't have to go so far. He looked down the street and could spot the bus approaching. Relief washed over him as he grabbed his backpack and got up, all too happy to leave.

The warmth inside the bus mixed with relief and exhaustion, enough so that by the time Eli got off the bus, Eli had convinced himself he was just being paranoid. Not long after, the whole thing had slipped his mind as thoughts of school work filled his head. 

###

Hey everyone! 

Hope you've all liked this chapter! I don't remember what was in it, but hey, hope it's good. I'm really just waiting to get to chapter seven. You guys are going to really like chapter seven. :D

But yeah, please leave a comment and/or vote if you can. I love to hear from you all, especially when you curse my name because I've emotionally hurt you. You guys come up with some super creative threats. 

They make me feel loved. (◡‿◡✿)

As always, I hope you all have a great weekend. Stay safe, wear your masks, and I'll post the next chapter on Friday, July 10th!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

358 83 23
📖 SHORT LGBT Story 📖 #WATTPRIDE 🏳️‍🌈 H I G H E S T R A N K S 🏳️‍🌈 #18 in #gaycouple || 23.11.18 || #15 in #pridemonth || 23.11.18 || #330 in...
2.2K 87 13
When a weak superhero meets a morally grey supervillain, who shall triumph? The answer may be something none of them had ever expected. Lol this is...
1.1M 36.4K 62
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...
126K 4.7K 56
|WATTYS 2021 Shortlisted| ❝Teach me.❞ ❝Teach you what?❞ ❝Teach me how to be a bad boy.❞ Elias Rodriguez has a crush on a certain cheerleader (since f...