Rose

babyXvee द्वारा

Rose never had the ambition or the confidence Lily had. She was always living in the shadow and was always be... अधिक

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11.
12.
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
Lily

19

259 8 0
babyXvee द्वारा

19.

"How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said." - Victor Hugo

"Aren't you in Germany?" I exclaimed.

My heart is having bipolar effects right now. Half of it is hurting in pain and ached to even see his face but the other half is excited. I wanted to cry but at the same time I wanted to smile. What the hell did my body want?

"I was on my way to Germany." He replied.

"Then what are you doing here?" I asked, still in awe as to why he's here...like really here.

"Nancy called me when I was about to board my jet Rose but I didn't. I had some things to take care of before I could come and now that everything's all taken care of, I'm here."

"You didn't have to, I hate to know that I've kept you from work. I was planning to see you when you get back."

"Rose, you are my priority right now okay? My business can wait." My heart skipped a beat and I felt more excitement than pain in my chest. "I assume that you're ready to talk to me right?" He asked and I nodded. "Do you want to go somewhere?" He eyed my clothes and concealed his grin. "Or do you want to talk here?" I felt my cheeks heating up, he's seen me in my pajamas and I was standing in front of him at the door! I didn't say anything to him, instead I shifted to the side to allow him to enter.

He smiled then he walked into my apartment. I closed the door gently behind him and we walked to the living room and sat side by side on the sofa. He was so close, I could practically feel the heat he was radiating. If I moved over just a couple of inches, my knees would brush his and the thought of that alone was making me blush. I mentally slapped myself, how can my heart beat like this when he hurt and disappointed me? He stabbed a knife into my heart, yet I am still affected by him. The pain in my chest is there but the overwhelming feeling of having him so close overrides it. How can this be happening? I had to escape, I mumbled a couple of words to him to tell him that I was going to get him something to drink but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back down.

"It's fine Rose, I don't need anything." He started, his eyes was overpowering me. I've never been overwhelmed by Aiden like the way he's looking at me right now. It made it difficult for me to look away from him. Is this a CEO thing or something?

"Okay." I sat quietly in my seat and Aiden returned his hands to back to himself. I kept my lips sealed and Aiden kept his eyes on me.

This was going nowhere and I knew I had to say something to break the silence. I had so many questions and I wanted to know so much but I didn't know where to start from. I thought long and hard about what I should ask him and the more I thought about it, I felt tears filling my eyes. Within the past six months I felt like I wasn't even human. I wanted to cry to make my heart feel better but I couldn't. It was like I've lost the ability to cry. But  now that I'm calm and Aiden is sitting right in front of me, I felt like a human again with emotions in me. After scanning through all of the questions I need to ask him, I finally found an appropriate question.

"Was it always a game to you?" I started, "Why did you do it?" His body tensed slightly and then he relaxed.

"I admit that it was a game to me initially but it was for revenge, I wanted to ruin Jason Luckwaldt." He replied bitterly.

"Why? What did he do?"

"Did Jason tell you anything?" I shook my head.

"I wanted to know but I didn't have the courage to ask him because everything would remind me of you. I tried my best these past six months to remove you from my life Mr. Kingsley. I didn't want any thoughts of you in my head because I tend to forget the terrible things that have happened." I replied. Aiden sighed but it seemed like something else bothered him more than how I addressed him.

I didn't mean to guilt trip him or make him feel worse than he probably feels right now. I had no intention of hurting him as much as he hurt me. It just came out and that was really what I've been feeling for the past six months.

"Do you remember Ellie?" He asked and I nodded my head. It may have only been a brief meeting but Ellie was...who I assume is Hailey's daughter. "She's Jason's daughter."

My mouth dropped since I didn't expect something like that to come out of his mouth. I refreshed my memories on the day when I first saw Ellie. The resemblance of Jason's dirty blonde hair with Hailey's crystal blue eyes. Now that I know, it's so obvious who the parents were.

"So does that mean Hailey and Jason were together before?" He nodded.

"They were dating when they were in college." He explained. "But Jason ran off the moment Hailey told him she was pregnant with his child because it was an accident." The mystery to my unsolved puzzle is starting to unravel.

"And you're in love with Hailey." The words stun as they left my mouth. What other reason would Aiden want revenge on Jason if he didn't love her? He loved her enough to risk everything to ruin him. The thought of Aiden being in love with someone else hurts and brought tears to my eyes.

"Yes I love Hailey and I care for her." It was in present tense. I turned away from him as I felt a tear falling from the corners of my eyes but I quickly wiped it away and prayed that Aiden didn't realize that I was crying. Who am I kidding? Of course Aiden would realize and I know he's not a stupid man either.

"But it's not the love you're thinking about Rose." He continued. "I may have had feelings for her a long time ago but that was it, it was all in the past. She's a very close and cherished friend of mine Rose."

I didn't know what to say to that. Oh sorry Aiden, sorry for misunderstanding what you felt for Hailey because it hurts me to think you're in love with someone else when in fact I am in love with you? Or telling him he didn't need to explain it to me and that I understand his feelings and push him away again? Now that's just pathetic. When Aiden realized that I wasn't going to say anything, he spoke again.

"Do you remember how I started off before I became what I am today? How I received help from a businessman who was finally interested in my projects?" He asked and I nodded without making eye contacts with him. "That businessman was Hailey's Dad." He explained.

"What?" I turned to look at him.

"I met Hailey at a business function that my college was holding for graduating students. The only reason why she was there was because she was dragged by her father to socialize with others. We ended up talking and at that time I had no idea that she was Edward Clair's daughter, the man who use to hold the most power in the business world." He continued his story. "We ended up talking about the idea I envisioned in my head and before I knew it, the night ended. After about a month or so, I was contacted by Edward Clair who wanted to invest in my ideas."

For some reason, I felt relieved to hear Aiden's story. Up until now, I have known nothing about his past and any additional information, everyone and anyone can find on the Internet. But to hear his story so personally, I felt myself being closer to Aiden than I have before.

"I thought you guys would have been childhood friends or something." I replied and he smiled.

"No we weren't, however Jason and Hailey were. Clair and Luckwaldt were already meant to marry each other because of the powers they ruled. At that time, Hailey and Jason were still dating and I was building my company. Hailey and I would meet often since I would always be at the Clair residence to meet with her father. The two of us became close immediately and that was when I found myself falling for Hailey. I didn't act on my feelings because Jason and Hailey were supposed to get married and it's rare for two couples from an arranged marriage to be in love." He leaned back into the sofa. "When we were twenty five, my company started  to soar to the top of the business world and that's when Hailey told us that she was pregnant. It was happy news for the two families but Jason wasn't ready to be tied down so early and he knew the baby was conceived by accident. So he broke the marriage off and left her."

I'll never be able to wrap my hand around something like that. I never expected Jason to be that kind of man especially since he's shown such a soft and caring side of him to his family.

"I can't believe Jason did that." I replied, still in shock at what I was hearing.

"I couldn't either Rose and that's why I hate him so much. He's such a great man and we became so close. I was shocked when it happened and how hurt Hailey had been back then."

"And you've hated him ever since?" I asked and he nodded.

"But because of what happened five years ago with the arranged marriage between the two families, Edward Clair lost it and acted recklessly. He wanted to destroy the Luckwaldt as much as I did, but no one could stop him. I wasn't as powerful as I am today and I couldn't do much to help the man who helped me. The Clair empire fell because of that and today they are still in the top five companies...but it'll never be the same...especially with the Luckwaldt being the second most influential and powerful families in the business world. My company continued to grow within the last five years and it went beyond the Luckwaldt and the Clair and it felt like I had to do something now."

"And my marriage with Jason...or Rex...Whatever it was...It was the best opportunity for you wasn't it?" He nodded.

"I know how much Rex means to Jason and I know I'll sound like a sick and disgusting bastard but I wanted to hurt his loved ones as much as he hurt mine. I've never cared about someone as much as I cared for Hailey, so I had to stick my hand into it."

"But what would you have done?"

"It doesn't take long for me to gather information if I need it Rose. I've met Rex before and he's... kind and someone I wished I didn't have to hurt. But Rex has been hidden and casted away from the media because of his condition, I had enough information to humiliate Rex and to expose the content of the arranged marriage contract to the media. The information I had was enough to end him, I turned it into a game because I wanted the Luckwaldt to feel the pain of seeing the ones you love getting hurt."

"And why didn't you?" I asked. Aiden didn't reply but he kept his eyes longing on me.

"Because of you Rose." He replied softly and I was taken back with his answer.

"Because of me?" I asked. "But I thought you were in love with Hailey and shouldn't you care more about her than me at that time?" 

"But that's all it was Rose, I thought I was in love with Hailey as well but I wasn't. I've never cared about someone as much as I cared for Hailey my entire life and I thought that was what love was. I was wrong because you walked into my life."

"It still doesn't make everything alright. From the very start, you approached my family as a piece in your game! You turned a blind eye on them when they begged you for help but you came running back when you heard about the engagement with Rex!"

"And everything I've done was for you Rose." I furrowed my eyes.

"What are you talking about?! How does playing my family for a fool be for me?"

"I admit that I approached your family because I had other motives with Jason. But the moment you walked into my life, I couldn't take my mind off of you Rose. Before the whole marriage thing, we've met a couple of times Rose. Your smile, your warmth, your kindness, and selflessness...I've never been so attracted to woman like that before. How frustrated I've been with you for all you've sacrificed without anything in return. When I found out you were pretending to be Lily, I was furious." He explained. I guess that would explain why he seemed so irritated when he saw Jason and me on the first day we met. "I was furious at you and more furious at your family for going along with it, which was why I set up that stupid proposal to marry you. I wanted you to myself Rose and to know that Jason has his hands on you...I wanted to destroy him even more."

"But you didn't..." I mumbled.

"Yes I didn't because of you. I thought I could do it the moment I found out and since I was so furious, I could have easily destroyed Jason but I'll also destroy your family as well. I didn't want that, I didn't want you to hate me Rose more than our misunderstanding back then." He clenched his hands into a fist and then released it. "So I thought of other ways to deal with Jason but to keep you safe from everything...but I didn't know what to do and the more time we spend, I found myself changing. I've changed so much because of you that I felt weak and vulnerable and Jason saw that and soon he found out who you really were. Instead of being a game of revenge with one winning side, you became our prize. Jason took interest in you to make me jealous and I couldn't let him get the best of me."

I felt stupid. All the answers were right in front of me but I was too blind to see it for myself without someone telling me. That was why I saw Jason at Kingsley Enterprise when I delivered the cupcakes to Aiden for Hailey. That was why Jason decided to be 'honest' with each other, to allow us to get to know each other. I felt sick to the stomach, has Jason been the one that has been telling the truth or was he just hiding it just like how Aiden hid his reasons? Both of these men deceived me and it was the truth but it's too much to take in all at once. I wanted to ask him about the time when I eavesdropped on the both of them but was forcefully removed from the scene by Luke. But I realized I didn't need to ask what they talked about when I already know what it was probably about.

"Now you know why I turned it into a game Rose." He pulled away. "Do you forgive me for what I've done?" He asked and I couldn't answer him right away.

There were so many information to take in and I've changed over the past six months. If I was the Rose Starr six months ago, I would have forgiven him without a second thought about it because of his honesty with me. But now six months later, I've learned through the pain he inflicted on me and the people around me. I learned to say no some times and it's not okay for others to take advantage of me. Helping people is a good deed but I learned to know where to draw the line in helping others. Aiden hurt me and gave me more pain than I've ever experienced. It was more than breaking up with Eric, more than the harsh words Lily has ever said to me, and more painful than seeing my parents separate.

"I-" I paused and gnawed my lips.

"It's okay Rose." He started. "You don't have to answer it right now because I know there's a lot to think about after what I've told you." He rose to his feet. "I should get going to give you some space." I quickly rose to my feet too once he started walking towards the front door.

"Mr. Kingsley," I called out after him and he stopped to look over his shoulders at me. "I-" I didn't know why I called after him if I wasn't going to say anything. I just didn't want him to leave but I couldn't get myself to tell him that.

"I'll be at Four Seasons Hotel tomorrow to take care of the business I delayed today until noon. Think about everything I've told you for the night and if I don't see you there I'll assume I don't have your forgiveness and I'll be gone from your life forever." He replied and he started walking to the door.

I followed him aimlessly and I couldn't mutter any words out besides goodbye when he walked out the door. I shut the door behind me and I rested my back against it, I was alone again in my empty apartment.

(-)

I forgive him, I don't forgive him, I forgive him, I don't forgive him...I forgive him. I held a daisy petal in between my fingers and I held the stem in my other hand. I spent the entire night wondering if I should forgive Aiden and even now as I sat on my sofa staring at all the petals on the floor...should I forgive him? I tossed the stem onto the coffee table in front of me and I let the final petal fall onto the floor. Who am I kidding? I will always be Rose Starr no matter how much I thought I've changed. I knew I forgave him the moment he explained everything to me and I just refused to admit it until...now. But the reason why I can't bring myself to see him or even tell him that I forgave him is because I don't know him.

No...I do know him. What I was more afraid of is who I fell in love with. There are still so many things I don't know about him, especially his past. I realized that I had no idea how his relationship with his family is since he told me he has never loved or cared for something as much as Hailey. What about his family? Shouldn't he have a special bond with them as well? Or what kind of man Luke describes him to be. Okay I know a bit of how he's like but I've never grasped how he was entirely.

The clock was ticking closer to noon and I still didn't have the courage to go. I'm not strong like I thought I'll be...in fact I am such a coward. I've forgiven him but I wanted to run away and hide. This is stupid, I am stupid. Why am I even idling like this when there's something more important for me to do? I've already forgiven him so why would it stop me just because I don't know who I fell in love right? If I didn't know him, then I should get to know him. If I didn't know who he is, then I should get to know him. It simple yet I'm just making it difficult.

I sprung to my feet and quickly ran into my room to change out of my pajamas. Time was ticking and there was only fifteen minutes before noon, which is perfect as Four Season hotel is around fifteen minutes away from my apartment. I grabbed everything I needed and rushed out of the door. Once I climbed into my car, I rushed out onto the road. I have never been as excited or happy before in my life. The feeling of having someone to run to whenever I wanted, the feeling of loving someone again. The joy of having Aiden in my life once again.

It was five minutes past noon the moment I walked into the hotel. Considering it being a Saturday, it was such a difficult time to find a parking space! As I sped walk across the lobby of the hotel, I realized I didn't even know where to start looking for Aiden. The hotel is massive and there were so many places he could be. Could he be in the banquet? No, he isn't holding a party or anything. Would he be in a private suite? Or would he be in meeting rooms? What about restaurants? Heck there were so many restaurants in the hotel I didn't even know where I should start looking!

I didn't want to waste anymore time, I walked up to the front desk and was greeted by a smile from the staff.

"Welcome to Four Seasons, how may I help you?" The lady behind the counter started.

"Where do most businessmen meet here?" I asked and she arched her eyebrow at my bizarre question.

"Uh most likely the restaurants." She replied. "Or in their suites."

"Do you happen to know where Aiden Kingsley is?" I asked and her face grew suspicious of me. Aiden's name is powerful and I'm sure people knew who he is here.

"Sorry I do not." She replied. But I could tell that she knew he was here, but where...I'm not sure. As long as I knew he was still here, that's the most important part. I

I thanked her and I quickly walked to the elevators and I rode up the elevator to the floor where most of the five star restaurants are located. I felt my nerves building up as the elevator rose, it's a nostalgic feeling. When was the last time I've been here? I chuckled to myself, it's been so long...at least eight months...when everything started. The lunch to meet a potential investor which I abandoned because of the bridezilla at the bakery that Mia couldn't handle. My life was so...peaceful and normal back then and thinking back about it just makes me sad that I'll never know when it'll be like that again.

The doors to the elevator swung open and I rushed out. I received a few eyes from people as I passed by. Everyone here has etiquette and knew their manners, who the heck runs in a five star hotel like this? I popped into a restaurant and asked the hostess if Aiden Kingsley was there but she only gave me a glare before she shook her head. I went in and out of restaurants, hoping that someone would be truthful to me or at least know where he is.

I continued to run through the hallway and as I turned the corner, I ran into something...or someone. The impact was so forceful that I stumbled several of steps backwards and I lost my footing and I felt myself falling. I closed my eyes to embrace the fall and I reached out to grab something to hold me from my fall. I found my hand grasping onto a piece of cloth and I felt someone's arm wrapping around my waist and pulled me up. Then I felt a pair of warm, rough, and familiar lips on mine. My eyes shot opened and I was welcomed by a pair of gorgeous hazel eyes. It felt like déjà vu all over again and if it was the same, I'll be falling on my butt right about...now.

But it wasn't the same, the man didn't release me or push me away. In fact I felt a smile against my lips and I concentrated on his eyes. There was only one man I know with such captivating hazel eyes. I gasped and pulled away as I stared at Aiden. His arm was still wrapped around my waist and I found myself clenching on the collar of his suit as I pulled him for support earlier.

"Déjà vu?" He muttered. "This is the second time you know."

It was like a light bulb has lit in my head. All along, I thought that we shared our first kiss in the elevator at his company. At that time I thought his lips were so familiar but I couldn't figure out why it felt that way. How stupid and oblivious could I have been?! The first kiss we shared was here...exactly as what just happened. I turned the corner and ran into someone all those months ago and to prevent my face, I grabbed his tie to pull him down with me and we kissed. I didn't know who he was back then and all I cared was to get back to my bakery as soon as possible. I knew I looked at him, but clearly I wasn't really looking since I forgot about it until now.  The only thing I remember was the captivating hazel eyes of the man I kissed and how he rudely dropped me onto the floor because he thought I intentionally kissed him.

"Are you going to release me and drop me to the floor again? Or accuse me if I kissed you intentionally?" I replied and he chuckled. I felt his arm pulling me closer to his body and his scent was intoxicating.

"I'm never letting you go again." He replied. "Though I don't know if you intentionally bumped into me to kiss me again."

"I'm sorry," I gave him an innocent smile as I recited the same line from last time. "I'm actually in a hurry and believe me...that wasn't intentional." It seemed like he remembered what I said that day when he laughed softly.

"Really? And why are you in a hurry?"

"I was looking for you."

"I told you I'll be here until noon." He replied.

"Well it's past noon and I was afraid that you left already and you'll disappear from my life." He cupped my cheek with his free hand and his eyes softened.

"Don't worry I'm here." He muttered.

"I forgive you Aiden." I told him. "And I love you."

Aiden's lips met mine almost instantly and I melted right into him. I wrapped my arms around his neck to pull him closer to me. Being in Aiden's arms made my body feel more alive than it has ever been all twenty five of my life. I felt fireworks inside of me and I couldn't get enough of him. I was afraid of facing Aiden or admitting to him that I love him because I didn't know who he was. Was he a cruel sick man I thought he was? Or a stubborn, guarded, cold hearted man? Or is he the soft, kind hearted man I've grown to know and love? There were so many questions floating in my head but it didn't matter. The kiss we were sharing...it was enough to explain to me who Aiden Kingsley really is.

Someone cleared his throat and we pry ourselves off of each other to see who it was. Luke was standing there with a grin on his face and his hands in front of him.

"We're at a hotel you know," He interrupted. "Get a room." I blushed profusely and Aiden arched his eyebrow.

"You're dismissed Luke," Aiden ordered. "And cancel the rest of my schedule today."

"I don't want to keep you from anything." I muttered and he silenced me with a peck on the lips.

"It's Saturday, everyone deserves a day off including me and Luke." I looked over Aiden shoulders and Luke was shaking his head while making a big X with his arms to disagree with what Aiden just said. I giggled and Luke stopped the moment Aiden looked over his shoulders at him.

"Why are you still here Luke?" Aiden growled and he smirked at his boss.

"Oh nothing, I'll take my leave now." He gave a curt nod before he walked down the hallway where I came from.

Aiden rested his forehead against mine with our noses touching. His lips brushed mine and it was tempting to just kiss him again.

"Rose," He whispered against my lips. "I fell in love with you the moment we first kissed." I moved a little to stare at him clearly.

"The moment we first kissed?" I asked, confused. "But this is where we first kissed." He nodded his head and pulled me close again.

"Exactly." He whispered. "After we kissed that day, the smile of yours opened my heart and when you walked away from me...my heart ached because I thought I'll never see you again."

"Is that why you called after me?" He nodded.

"I needed to know who you were." He said softly. "Then when I went to meet your family, I saw Lily. I thought that was you but it wasn't...her smile wasn't the same as yours." I pushed back again.

"What? You were that potential investor my parents were talking about?" He arched his eyebrow.

"You never knew?" I shook my head and he chuckled.

"To be honest, I was never interested in investing or partnering up with your parents but I've received too many contacts from your parents that I had to meet them to get them off my ass. But I'm thankful that I went because I found out who you were."

"Then...you met me deliberately?"

"I didn't know my company used you to cater our anniversary party and I thought you were Lily. But when your friend called for you, I realized how stupid I've been for not recognizing you."

"And what about the charity dinner?" I asked.

"What was your parents thinking putting the two of you in the same dress?!" He exclaimed and I laughed. "I found out your parents were invited and I only went hoping that there was a possibly you would be there because I found out that your parents were invited."

"Stalker." I muttered and he arched his eyebrow.

"No I wasn't a stalker." He defended himself. "I just fell in love with you the moment we kissed." He added before his lips met mine again.

I found myself collapsing against him once again...yeah...I think I can get use to this. 

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

178K 6.1K 37
Emily Montgomery had never done anything wrong in her life. She obeyed everything her parents ever asked of her. But now she finally has to break awa...
111K 4.7K 36
"Life is made up of years that mean nothing and moments that mean it all." (unknown) When Claire makes her choice, she knows the consequences will be...
1.7K 165 21
• A love-hate love story • Only if they hadn't bumped into each other none of them would be in this hot mess. But they were destined to meet afterall...
13.5K 655 73
"and what if someday I went away from you" sofia asked teasingly " one can never stay alive without their soul and... you are my soul " Kevin hugged...