Rose

By babyXvee

Rose never had the ambition or the confidence Lily had. She was always living in the shadow and was always be... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11.
12.
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
Lily

17

244 10 1
By babyXvee

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
- William Shakespeare

"Rose!" Ellen yelled out my name from across the field. "Where does this tray go?" She was holding a tray of chocolate strawberry dip cupcakes. I bit the bottom of my lips as I surveyed the venue. Unfortunately, holding an outdoor event during Spring season where rain is unpredictable, it puts a lot of stress on catering. The venue was moved to an indoor banquet which was smaller than taking up the entire garden like it was originally planned. And since the clients ordered two hundred cupcakes for an outdoor event, it is nearly impossible to fit it indoor considering the amount of guests that's coming.

With the sudden change of the venue, everyone was rushing around to finish the last minute touches before guests arrived. To be honest, it was very dangerous to be placing cupcakes in this chaos but we were short on time.

"Leave it over there for now!" I pointed to a long table off to the corner. "I'll double check with the client to see where we can set up!"

"Okay," She called back. "I'll bring the others in because the rain is starting to come down harder now." I nodded and turned back to my tiers of cupcakes.

"This is ridiculous." Mia cursed on the other side of the table, stacking the cupcakes as fast as we could but yet still presentable. "If only they decided to check the weather forecast this morning, we wouldn't be in such a rush!"

"Give them a break, it said there were only twenty percent of showers today." I defended.

"That's twenty more percent! Besides you and I both know how accurate weather forecasts are." She rolled her eyes with a sarcastic humour and I chuckled.

We may be tight on time but we were professionals and managed to fit all two hundred cupcakes in the small venue. The first guests began to arrive just as we started packing our trays into the back of our van. The rain was coming down harder now and there was no time to waste, I surely didn't want to get soaked. Ellen climbed into the driver's seat while I occupied the passenger and Mia had the entire back all to herself. She spread her legs out in front of her and began massaging them.

We headed back to the bakery and the business was blooming like ever. Rosemary, my bakery...is no longer mine. Even though Jason decided that the contract was no longer in effect and that we didn't have to pay that cancellation fee for voiding the contract, the bankruptcy to my parents company was inevitable. There were a lot of financial settlements that needed to be handled even after selling the company at a low price, it wasn't enough to pay for all the employees. Lily of course helped as much as she could and even stopped the production of her clothing line. She's managing but it's a difficult battle to get back to where she was six months ago. And I had to help as much as I could as well so I ended up selling the bakery. Plus there was no way I would let Jason help with it either.

The announcement to the break up affected Lily the most of all of us because she was the woman involved. Her business plummeted but when Jason stepped out into the open, he defended her as a mutual agreement so that the media could step down. Even if Jason controls the media more than any businessman in the market, there was only so much he can control during such explosive news. 

Luckily, I've gotten a good price for it because Rosemary has such a good reputation. I was thankful for Mr. Greene, the man who purchased my bakery as an investment decided to let me stay because according to him, Rosemary is nothing with Rose. Aside from that, he hired extra staffs to help out around the bakery which I was surprised but really, it was necessary because there were more customers than there were six months ago. I barely had time to rest before I start on another project for clients. He told me to continue working as if I still owe the bakery and have the authorizes to do whatever seems fit so the only differences is that the bakery is no longer under my name...and the extra four employees: Judy, Taylor, who were college students a few blocks down. Denise, another baker to help out with the baking because I cannot possible catch up with all the orders and baking for the bakery for the customers. And Patrick, who was also another baker.

"So I would really like to know your business management Rose." Mia peeked into the bakery from the front window. The bakery was packed with customers that the line was nearly at the entrance of the door. "How come the business is better when you're not running it?" I gasped and slapped her lightly on the back.

"Technically I am still running it, the bakery just isn't under my name anymore." I told her.

"You know I like it better when it wasn't so busy." Ellen added. "It wasn't as noisy and people would actually enjoy the atmosphere, it's like a busy supermarket in there now."

"But business brings money and money is everything." Mia cooed and I laughed. "But seriously can we talk inside? We're getting soaked in the rain."

"For your information Mia, you were the one that decided to peek in from the front window instead of going inside to talk." I replied and she stuck her tongue out at me.

"Well I'm going in first!" She exclaimed and slipped into the bakery and Ellen rolled her eyes.

"Are you coming?" Ellen held the first door open and I shook my head.

"I need to carry the trays back inside."

"I'll help you." She added and I nodded.            

"I'll drive the van to the back, meet me there." I ordered and she slipped in.

I used my hand to shield as much as the rain as I could but it clearly wasn't doing anything besides making my hand freezing cold. Just before I climbed into the driver's seat I felt as if I was being watched when I felt a shiver down my spine. I stopped and glanced around to see if I spotted anymore. The cars were zooming by and people walking down the streets, there was nothing out of the ordinary and maybe I was just thinking too much about it. I shrugged it off and climbed into the van, away from the freezing cold rain before I pulled away from the curb to drive to the back of the bakery.

(-)

I rang the doorbell to my Dad's new apartment and waited on the other side of the door for him to open it for me. The moment he opened it a smile spread across our faces.

"Hey baby girl," He welcomed me in with open arms and I pressed myself into him. I wrapped my arms around him just the same he was doing to me.

"Hey Dad," I muttered against him. "How have you been?"

"Oh you know, doing things to get time by." We separated. I took my shoes off and allowed myself into his apartment while he shut the door behind him. "Coffee?" He asked and I nodded.

I made myself comfortable and sat down at the sofa and I found myself frowning. Our home, our family home...the one where I grew up in is no longer around. My parents even had to sell that beautiful home of ours to settle the bankruptcy. The moment the house went onto the market, a buyer immediately jumped to the chance. Apparently there were a lot of buyers who were interested in the house but of course the highest bidder got it. I found myself feeling depressed just thinking about it, all my childhood memories were there, the memories of being one big family was there...and it feels like I'll never be able to step foot into that house again.

The apartment wasn't fancy or anything, it was enough to have a single person living in. A decent size living room, a kitchen with a dining table inside, a bathroom, and a single bedroom. The place wasn't run down or in a terrible neighbourhood either so I wasn't afraid of having someone breaking into my Dad's apartment in his sleep. My Dad returned moments later with two cups of coffee in his hands.

"So what's with the sudden visit?" My Dad handed me my cup and I thanked him.

"I just missed you," I replied. "Can't I visit my own Dad when I miss him?"

"Of course sweetheart. You can visit me anytime and you know it."

"So how have you been? Have you considered retiring yet?" He arched his eyebrows as if I had just insulted him.

"Sweetheart, I am only fifty five you know I still have ten years in my life before I retire."

"But its difficult now isn't it? You said you'll start the company again didn't you?"

"Of course it's hard and I already know how hard it is Rose. When I first started the company when I was in my twenties, heck that was the worse. But now that I am in my fifties, I know how much harder it is to start a new company. But just because it's difficult, it doesn't mean I stop doing what I got to do." I smiled.

Even when my Dad says something like that, I just can't help but worry. Ever since the marriage incident with the Luckwaldt, he had been blaming himself for destroying the family with his incompetence. But it's no one to blame, it was just unfortunate. It happens, we all know bankruptcy happens and it can be sudden. We just weren't lucky with it and we've done everything we could have done.

"Alright enough about me, how's your mom?" He asked and I could sense the worried I felt for him. Of course my parents are still in love with each other. They didn't file in any divorce papers yet but they were just living separately from each other. My Dad couldn't forgive himself for agreeing the marriage as well as my Mom's eagerness to push through with it. My Mom has been shutting everyone out of her life, she's still furious at Lily's decision to cancel the marriage. My parents don't know that it was mainly my decision but Lily said she'll take the responsible so that my name doesn't get on the papers.

I argued with her...again. If the papers wanted names to blame, I would gladly put my name out there. I wasn't a celebrity or a name that mattered to people unlike Lily where her name has a huge price to it. But I didn't get my way with her, she had more connections than I do so things just turned out that way. Eventually my parents found out about Rex, and that Rex was actually Jason. They were anger at them at first but when they realized what they were doing was similar to us, we forgot about it. The only person in the family my Mom is willing to see was me.

"She's coping." I muttered, gripping my hands around the hot cup of coffee. "Why don't you go see her? I'm sure she misses you."

"And I miss her Rose. Sometimes even when you miss or love someone, you know it isn't time to go see them yet."

"But..." I cut my sentence off. What was I suppose to say? Yes they are my parents and it is difficult to see them apart when I've never seen them argue with each other all my life until recently. They were the sweetest, the most in love couple I have ever seen and they are the ones that made me wish how I wanted someone like that in my life. But my parents know each other best, and there isn't anything else I can say but wait until they deal with it.

"And what about you Rose?" My Dad said softly. I sighed quietly to myself before I told him about my life. I told him about my life at the bakery of how crazy busy it is after the new owner purchased my bakery. The weekend plans I have with Mia and Ellen as well as her twin daughter (which by the way are the cutest little humans ever). I even complained to my Dad about my work, about how we stressed we were doing the last catering event. I told him about Rex and how I managed to get him out of the house after I promised to bring his favourite cupcake later this week. My Dad smiled, laughed, and nodded when necessary and when I was done he spoke again.

"But what about your love life Rose?" I froze. "Any new man you meet?"

"I don't have time for dating Dad." I sipped my coffee nervously. There has been men showing interest in me once in awhile when I would go out with Mia on the weekend nights, but I didn't want to meet any new men...especially not at the bar! But I knew I was lying to myself because my heart still harbours feelings for someone I shouldn't be. But as much as it disgusts or pains me, I don't want to forget these feelings about him.

"What about Jason? From how I see it, he is interested in you isn't he?"

"We're just friends Dad, I can't possibly see him as a man after everything we've been through."

"It's not impossible Rose, you're just making it impossible because you have feelings for someone else right?" My eyes widened, how would my Dad know?...Actually I don't want to find out, I really don't want to have a love talk with my Dad! It's going to be like high school when I dated Eric where I had the sex talk with him...believe me...I was beyond embarrassed.

"No Dad, of course not. I just...there's no man that sparks my interest."

"Rose go out there and meet new people. You can't work forever and heck you're almost twenty six! Women your age are starting to get married and starting a family!"

"No way," I argued. "I don't want to get married so early! At least not yet, marriage is the last thing on our minds Dad don't you think?"

"I just want you to be happy Rose." I smiled. Of course my Dad wants me to be happy, what father doesn't want their daughters to be happy? Even without love in my life, I'm perfectly content with it. I didn't need a man to keep me happy because that's what family and friends are for. Experiencing what I had with Aiden...yes it was nice...extremely nice but I knew I had to avoid it.

(-)

"Rose! Your three o'clock appointment is here." Mia informed me.

"Okay!" I called back to her. I told Denise and Patrick to finish up on the decorations on a birthday cake as I slipped the apron over my head.

I dusted off any flours that were on me and flattened my shirt. I made sure I looked presentable and didn't have flour on my face or something like that before I exited the kitchen and into a consultation room. I knocked and then allowed myself in and my eyes widened when I saw who it was. Jane, the front desk receptionist at Kingsley Enterprise sitting there with a man beside her.

"Oh my goodness Rose!" Jane exclaimed, jumping up her seat and embraced me.

"Jane? What are you doing here?" I asked as we parted. She showed me the diamond ring on her finger and it clicked. Of course she's here for a wedding cake, how stupid can I be?! "Oh my god! Congratulations! I didn't know you were engaged!"

"It's something I didn't really announced to the world but this is Kelvin Anderson, my fiancé and this is Rose Starr." Jane introduced us and we exchanged a handshake.

"Very nice to meet you." We both said at once and then laughed about it. I found my seat on the other side of the table directly across from them. I flipped open my sketch book and faced the lovely couple.

"So what can I do for you two today? Looking for a wedding cake?" Jane nodded.

"Yes I am! But I'm not sure if you can do it, we came here very last minute."

"When's the big date?" I asked.

"This weekend." I gasped. Today was already Wednesday and that would only really leave me a few days to complete the cake. "I know! I know I hate to do this to you Rose but the cake where we got our cake from has a flood in the bakery with all the crazy rain water we've had lately and they told us they aren't able to get the cake to us by the weekend."

"They really put you into a ditch didn't they?"

"Tell me about it." Kelvin rolled his eyes and I can understand why they are so frustrated.

"I know! I thought I was doomed and I become a serious bridezilla even before the wedding! Then that's when I thought about you! I knew how wonderfully delicious your cakes were and I was so stupid how I never thought to give you the business in the first place! I don't need to taste your cakes Rose, I trust you completely but do you think you can help us?"

I chew at the end of my pencil as I mentally pulled up my schedule for the week. I promised Rex I'll be there on Friday with his cupcakes, but if I went early morning instead of going after work, then I should be able to get the cake done during the day and work a little bit overtime. I might be a little bit tired for the plans I have with Mia, Ellen, and her daughters but it should be manageable. There's also a wedding cake I need to prepare for on Monday...which I can do Sunday. I might be a little bit hectic for this weekend but there's no way I could possibly say no to Jane after her story!

"Of course." I smiled, "Now tell me how you'll like your cake."

"Oh my god thank you so much Rose, you're a life savior!" I smiled as Jane continued to thank me.

Throughout the hour we went through all the details of the cake as I sketched out a rough drawing in my sketchbook to show them how the final results would look like. We kept our conversation solely on the cake, I didn't ask her if she still worked at Kingsley Enterprise nor did she mention anything about Aiden. It's most likely she doesn't know what happened between the two of us, but I'm sure she could guess that I no longer see him anymore. After discussing through all the details and I promised to deliver the cake on Saturday, Jane and her fiancé left.

I flung my arms up in the air to stretch my aching back and rotated my neck in circular motions. The day was almost over and it felt like there were still so many things to do. Since the bakery is now blooming with business, I can't seem to stop all the client orders from coming in. I took one last look at Jane's wedding cake on my sketchbook and I smiled. Marriage is such a beautiful thing...planning it is definitely stressful but in the end it is all worth it. I wonder when will I ever get married?...Married to someone that means the world to me just like how Jane found Kelvin. I mentally slapped myself from the depressing thoughts and pushed it aside. I closed my sketchbook, stood up from my seat, and left the consultation room with a smile.

The rest of the week flew by like a whirlwind and I was crouched at the back of the bakery's van with Mia to support the multi layered tier cake for Jane's wedding. The transport for the cakes is usually the worse because one damn pot hole can destroy a cake that I've worked on for hours and hours. I felt lightheaded, maybe because I didn't get much sleep last night to bake the cake and being cramped in to back of a van isn't helping my head much either.

"Oh god damn, why can't the city fix these damn pot holes already?" Mia cursed as the van hit another pot hole.

"Sorry!" Ellen stared at us from the rear view mirror, "I'm trying to dodge most of them already!"

"Don't worry Ellen," I told her, "Slow and steady wins the race you know."

"Except we're going to be late delivering it!" Mia cooed.

"I think we would rather arrive late then have no cake at all." I pointed out and Mia didn't say another word.

The venue was held at a golf club and banquet and soon we turned into the venue. The parking lot was already packed with cars and I knew we couldn't get the cake before all the guests arrived but at least there was a cake. Ellen pulled up right to the entrance before she parked the van and climbed out to help us.

"We made it in one piece." Mia muttered and I chuckled. The hatch of the van opened and Ellen quickly took out the transport cart before both Mia and I climbed out. We slowly dragged the cake closer to the edge before lifting it onto the cart. The cake was heavy, it is easily over sixty pounds for a four tier cake. My eyes started to blur but I shook my head clear. I knew I just had to get through this order so that I can sleep well tonight since the week has been hectic with all the extra orders and the crazy business at the bakery.

We began rolling the cake into the building as carefully as we could. The staff at the golf club directed us to the correct banquet hall and after a good five minutes of rolling slowly towards our destination, we made it. The banquet hall was already filled with guests in suits and evening gowns. All of their eyes turned to us when they realized that the cake has finally arrived, everyone stared at it in awe and I smiled politely back at them. We transferred the cake from the cart to the set up table in the middle of the banquet. Through the sea of guests in the banquet hall, it was easy to spot the newlywed couples. Jane's dress was absolutely stunning with a sweetheart neckline and ball dress gown.

"Oh my god Rose!" Jane approached me in tears. "It's gorgeous! It's so gorgeous I can't believe it and you did on such short notice! Oh how can I thank you?" Jane hugged me and I smiled.

"No need to thank me Jane," I told her, "You look absolutely lovely tonight, congratulation." She released me and wiped her tears away with her finger and she turned to look at the cake.

The reception was about to start and it always feels so satisfying for a job well done. The look on Jane's face was priceless and it brought a big smile on my face. This is why I love what I do, the joy a simple piece of pastry can bring to people.

"Oh Rose, please stay." She begged. "You've got to stay tonight." I smiled but politely declined.

"I can't Jane, thank you for the invite though. I still have other work to do."

"That's rather unfortunate." She frowned.

"Don't be sad Jane! It's your big day, you're supposes to be smiling on such a lovely day!"

"You're right, but would you at least take a picture with me?" She asked and I nodded. She waved over her photographer and we took a couple of pictures with Mia and Ellen as well as the groom in it.

"Thank you so much once again Rose." Jane started to tear up again.

"You're welcome Jane, and congratulation once again." I replied and then I turned to leave with Mia and Ellen in toll.

I placed my hands on the double doors of the banquet hall to leave, but I didn't even push the doors and the doors opened from the other side as someone was coming in. My heart stopped and I felt like fainting when a pair of familiar hazel eyes landed on me. What was he doing here? I thought he didn't care about his employees and I'm not even there to force him to care about them. My eyes immediately flickered away and I shifted to the side to walk out of the banquet. I felt the tension in my body and I hate how a simply look from him is driving me insane still. I continued to walk away from him and even as the distance grew between us, I can still feel his eyes on me. Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder and I jumped. I looked over and found Mia's hand on my shoulder and I felt my body relax once I found out who it was.

"Are you okay?" Mia whispered and I nodded nervously. Mia knew what happened and she knew it was best not to talk about it anymore. I haven't even realized that my throat had gone dry and I was trembling. I wanted to break down and cry again and it was difficult for me to breathe. Why does he still have so much effect on me? I hate it. I hate how I'm breaking so easily...and it feels like I can't do anything about it.

We exited the golf club and I could finally breathe when the cool air hit my skin. We walked to the van and I felt myself collapsing against it with my hand pushing against it for support. I held my other hand against my chest over my heart and balled it into a fist. I thought it was getting easier to breathe but I was wrong, it was getting more and more difficult. My breathing became heavier by the second and the pain I felt in my heart was becoming unbearable. I felt like I was going to faint and having lack of sleep in this situation isn't very useful either.

"Jesus Christ Rose!" Mia exclaimed and I felt her arms wrapping around me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Mia, don't worry about me." I breathed heavily and I tried to settle my breathing as best as I could.

"You are clearly not fine!" She let out an angry tone. "Jesus Rose if you want to cry, just cry! You'll feel so much better about it!"

"I'm okay and I don't need to cry Mia." I told her. I haven't cried since it happened, it wasn't worth my tears...or so I thought. I really wanted to cry right now, to cry into Mia's shoulders to tell her how I'm really not okay. But I couldn't...I couldn't shed a single tear no matter how much pain I felt.

I felt Mia's hands tightening her grip on me but it wasn't to the point where she was hurting me. I rested against the van with Mia and Ellen had asked me if I wanted any water. I nodded and she disappeared back into the building to search for water.

"This is so unhealthy." Mia muttered, "I can't keep seeing you like this."

"I'm never like this Mia," I told her.

"Rose you know I'm worried about you right?"

"And I told you Mia, there's nothing to worry about. I'm sorry this isn't going to happen again." The pain in my chest started to subside and my breathing is beginning to return to normal.

"Are you sure about that?" I nodded. "Even if you were to see Aiden again? Are you sure you won't be like this?"

"Yes because I'm never going to see him again!" I snapped at her. The moment the words left my mouth, I immediately regretted it. I snapped at my best friend and she was only worried about me. I didn't need to look at her face to tell that she was hurt from it and the guilt began to build inside of me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you."

"No it's okay Rose." She replied.

"I'm sorry Mia, but can you just give me a minute alone?"

"Are you going to be okay by yourself?" She asked and I nodded. "Okay then I'll go find Ellen so that we can leave." I nodded and then her hands disappeared from my body. At the corners of my eyes I saw her walking back into the building and I felt myself crumbling to the ground.

I found myself leaning against the van and my legs were weak that I couldn't get back up on my two feet. I leaned my head back against the van and I closed my eyes as I slowly took several of deep breaths to calm myself down. The heart was beating so hard against my chest that it hurts. I thought I had forgotten everything about Aiden but clearly I haven't. I found the hole in my chest reopening and the pain was still fresh like it had just happened. The initial stab and twist that I felt when I found out that Aiden thought the entire thing was a game to him. I was merely just a piece, a tool for him. To this day, I still have no idea what happened between Jason and Aiden for them to hate each other so much. Jason refuses to tell me anything about it and I have yet to tell him that I've heard their conversation awhile back at the celebration party. It has been so long that I nearly forgot about it and it wasn't even worth mentioning anymore.

I didn't know how long I sat against the van but I found my body returning to normal. I started to get strength back in my legs and without my heart pounding hard against my chest, it was much easier to breathe. From a distance, I heard footsteps coming closer to me. It seems like Mia and Ellen has returned but I was so relaxed in my position that I wanted to wait until the last minute to get up. I felt someone staring at me and I waited for them to speak but I heard nothing. I slowly opened my eyes and I was welcomed by a pair of legs that definitely didn't belong to Mia or Ellen's, I'm pretty sure they weren't wearing black dress pants. My eyes moved up and trained themselves on his piercing hazel eyes. Immediately, the pain in my chest returned and I could hardly breathe. This time it was more painful than the first and I felt like dying. My hands were pressed against my chest as I cringed in pain and gasped for air. A pair of strong arms immediately wrapped around me and his scent filled my nostril, his touch sent electricity through my body and it felt so comfortable.

"Rose!" His voice caused my heart to race even faster and it was already difficult to breathe. "Are you okay? Rose! Talk to me."

I missed him, I yearned for him and I wish I could stay in his arms forever, but I can't. I felt like fainting, I felt nauseous, I felt my body rejecting him in every way possible and being so close to him is difficult. I gathered all the strength I had left in my body and I pushed him away.

"Get away from me." My voice was weak and I pushed myself up onto my feet with the help of the van as support. The moment I was up on my feet, the world around me started spinning and no matter how many times I shook my head clear, the blurriness in my vision wouldn't go away. I turned my head to face Aiden but in my eyes, he was just a blurry figure that stood in front of me.

"Rose," He touched me gently on the arm and I swatted it away.

"I thought I've made it clear I never wanted to see you again." My voice was almost like a whisper. "Goodbye Mr. Kingsley." I added before I took a step forward and I lost balance. I felt myself falling and the world around me was no longer spinning, in fact it seemed to have turned all black.

The last thing that I was fully aware of was someone catching me and calling out my name with concern filling his voice. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 338 15
Sorry for the terrible cover, I rushed it. Slow updates yay (KO and Tko are aged up to 17, and this is another twin au) ~~~ Y/n was always the advent...
169K 7K 37
If you'd have told me a week ago that I'd be a billionaire's property........ Confident. Brilliant. Rich. Devastatingly handsome. Aiden Manning seeme...
661 25 24
Aiden Thompson has spent his life protecting and taking care of other people so much that he has forgotten how to take care of himself. Upon his retu...
62.7K 2.9K 24
"Roses are red , violets are blue ...only if love was true .. !" These are the words she will often write down in her diary pages after pages. Durin...