Undertale Fallen Determinatio...

By CobaltGemini

What happens when the Fallen Child is not the one to take their life to pass the barrier? After the death of... More

Chapter 1: The Encounter
Chapter 2: Recent Memories
Chapter 3: The Talk
Chapter 4: First Lessons
Chapter 5: A Pie Plan
Chapter 6: Sneaking into Gaster's Room
Chapter 7: Magic Surge
Chapter 8: The Clearing
Chapter 9: Chara's Secret
Chapter 10: Gaster's Secret
Chapter 11: New Friends
Chapter 13: Music
Chapter 14: Scare Bet
Chapter 15: Ghost Date
Chapter 16: Skull Blasters
Chapter 17: The Proposal
Chapter 18: The First Human
Chapter 19: Chat with an Old Friend
Chapter 20: The Incident
Chapter 21: The Fall
Chapter 22: Frisk
Chapter 23: Battle with Undyne
Chapter 24: Gaster vs. Undyne
Chapter 25: Reset (Final Chapter)

Chapter 12: Echo Flowers

47 5 2
By CobaltGemini

"Chara, are you sure this is a good idea?" Semi asked. "Befriending some monsters, when you are-"

"They don't know I'm a human," I interrupted. "They think I'm a monster, just like them."

"What KIND of monster?"

"Homo-sapien."

"...What's a homo-sapien?"

"It's the scientific term for 'human', but as you've just proven with your question, it's not common knowledge in the Underground. It's a good mask to hide under, without needing to lie."

I had just gotten back from hanging out with Hapi and Pristina, and Semi was a little upset after Gaster had told him what I was doing.

"I just... I'm worried that this will go wrong," Semi said. "They might take you to the royal guard for a simple chat without asking you, or figure something is strange about you, or-"

"Semi, I know you're worried. I was too when they caught me. But, I've been down here for two years, heck, I've been in the Underground for four. And the only monsters I've ever really met are you two and the Dreemurrs... I..."

"Sorry, I didn't think they would be brought up, Chara," Semi apologized. "But I see your point. You can't just be cooped up in here all your life."

"Maybe we can get to the point where we can tell them the truth," Gaster replied. "It won't be a quick process, but if we build their trust, and we find that they'll keep our secret, then we can tell them Chara is human."

"They go to your school, right Wingding?" I asked. "Pristina is even in your class, correct?"

"Well I'm beyond their grade level, but I do have to take the homeroom class for my age, so yes, Pristina is in my class. I will be sure to speak to them at school tomorrow."

"Chara, do you have any more plans with them?" Semi asked.

"Yes, tomorrow, after they get off from school. They want to show me something," I replied.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

"I can't believe you've never seen the echo flowers," Hapi said.

"Well, I think I've seen a few when I first came to Waterfall, but after that... well, no. There aren't very many where I live in the area," I told them.

"Girl, you need to get out more," Pristina replied.

They brought me to a field full of tall, blue flowers. The Echo Flowers.

"Wow, they're beautiful," I said in awe.

"A perk of living in Waterfall," Pristina replied.

"And that's not the best part of these," Hapi said. She flew up to one of them, and whispered something into it. "Come, listen to this."

I walked up to the flower, and put my ear close to it, where I heard, "I have the best and most fabulous friends ever."

"Whoa! Is that your voice?" I asked.

"Yep! This is what makes echo flowers so special. They will repeat anything you say to them," Hapi replied.

"Like an echo!" Pristina added in.

"Of course!"

"Wow, that's so cool," I said. "Now I can see why Wingding thinks they're annoying."

"Wing- er, Gaster doesn't like them?" Pristina asked.

"Nope."

"I think I might now know why there aren't any around where you live," Hapi said, "your friend probably thinks they're weeds."

"By the way, Gaster home schools you, right? Why don't go to school like us?" Pristina asked.

Dang it, I thought. Okay, what's a good lie... a good lie... "Um, well, my family doesn't want me to be seen in public spaces. They're paranoid that I'll get hurt or something." Okay, good, and it's not too far from the truth. Let's add to it, so Semi knows I'll be safe. "They especially don't want me near the Royal Guard. They say they're too violent or something."

"Okay... your family is weird."

"I mean, they might not be wrong about the royal guard," Hapi replied, "one of my cousins, Madstablook, had trouble with them in the past, for no real reason. What I want to know is... aren't you living with Gaster's family now?"

"Um, Semi, Wingding's father, doesn't want to get in trouble with my family," I replied.

"Oh, very well then."

"Actually, Gaster talked with us about you this morning, during school," Pristina said, "he said that you're special, and we should be careful with you. He must care about you a lot."

She sounded a little disappointed about that. But I couldn't see why.

"So, what 'issues' did you have with your family that caused you to go and live with Gaster?" Hapi asked.

"Well... to be honest, I made it sound like it's not too big of a deal, but really... my brother... he died, and then my dad... he... he just..." I sat down, and started to cry.

"I guess it's too sensitive to talk about. I'm sorry I brought it up."

Pristina sat next to me, and put her arm around me. "Hey, it's okay, we're here for you."

I wiped my eyes, and said, "Thank you. You know, my brother and I... we loved flowers. He would have loved to see these."

"Hm, what was his favorite flower?" Pristina asked.

"Buttercups. They're my favorite too, but... I'm not sure if I should like them..."

"Why?"

In response, I just shook my head.

"Buttercups... those are from the surface, right?" Hapi replied. "I heard that the king likes growing them. He even has an entire garden of them."

"Yeah, there are a lot of buttercups around New Home."

"So is that where you're from? New Home?"

"...Close to it."

"Say, Chara, I have to ask, how old are you?" Pristina asked.

"Oh, I'm twelve," I replied.

"So you're younger than us, huh," Hapi said, "Pristina and I are fourteen. Though, my cousin is your age."

"Madstablook?"

"Oh, no, darling, ...I have a lot of cousins. I'm talking about Hapstablook. He's shy, but he's got a knack for music mixing."

"Oh cool," I got up. "Thank you for showing me these flowers. I love them. I'd like to come here again sometime."

"Hey, Chara," Pristina got up, and pulled something from one of the flowers. "I know Gaster doesn't like them, but maybe grow a small one in your room." She gave me a seed she got from the flower.

"Thanks."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

"So, how did it go?" Wingding asked when came back.

"Great," I replied. "I got a seed."

"A seed?"

"Yeah." I showed him the echo flower seed I got. "I'm going to plant this, water it, and watch it grow."

"Is that a... echo flower seed?"

"Yeah. Wingding, I know you don't-"

"There are a few flowerpots in the shed outside. You can put it in your room," Wingding interrupted, "Just don't let it grow outside. I can't stand the echoing voices."

"Oh, thanks." I went back outside, found the pot I needed, shoveled in some dirt, and put it on my desk.

Then poured some water on it, and sat down, smiling.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: So Chara has finally seen the Echo Flowers. And yes, Madstablook is supposed to be the Mad Dummy, so you can imagine that he didn't get in trouble with the Royal Guard for nothing. And no, he will not appear in Book 1, but Napstablook will appear again, next chapter in fact.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138 7 19
Content warning: this story contains themes of suicide and child abuse/neglect. Read with caution. Your mental health is more important than a silly...
8.1K 119 28
Imagine this: You fell down a hole, hit your head, landed on your back, and you suddenly found yourself in the most unexpected of situations. As you...
1.4K 40 16
I had a very bitter life on the surface. I never told mom and dad about it, much less Asriel... I don't consider myself part of the human society any...
14.6K 370 17
Frisk, your best friend, went missing and was presumed dead, but one day, she came back. apparently, in the time she went missing, she managed to fr...