Secrets In The City

By FortuneEddie

REWRITTEN VERSION COMING SOON! In New York City, best friends Brena and Lillian share a stronger connection... More

Snippet
Preface
01: Mirror, Mirror
02: By-gones
03: No Call, No Show
04: Guilt
05: Caught-Up
06: Curious
07: Prisoner
08: Missed me?
09: Holiday Party
10: My Confessions
11: No Invite
12.1: Let It Snow
12.2: Non-Negotiable๏ฟผ
12.3: Excuses & Risks
Bonus: 8 Years
13: Unforgettable
14: Worth It
15.1: Magic Words
16.1: Perfect Gift
16.2: Twenty-Two
17: One Date
18: Kissed By Karma
Bonus: Digging
19.1: Business & Pleasure
19.2: Exposed
19.3: Questions
20: A Miracle
21: Hope
22: Monster
23: Rare
24: The Package
25.1: Come Again?
25.2: Shut Up & Drive
26: Rewind
27: Hostage
28: What If?
29.1: 1996
29.2: Trust Again
29.3: HeartBreak Alley
29.4: A Stormy Night
30.1: The Last Supper
30.2: God's Plan
31: Surprise
32.1: Firecracker
32.2: 5 minutes
32.3: Time's Up
33: A Match
34: Blame-Game
34.2: Reality
35: Lucky Day
36: Charmed
Dear Readers
TWO NEW BOOKS
IMPORTANT
COMING SOON

15.2: Changes

426 74 78
By FortuneEddie

WHEN children anticipate reuniting with their parents after a certain period of time, excitement energizes them. Lillian was always delighted to see her parents whenever they returned from a trip. Even as simple as going to the store, she would miss her father. They were that close but now that things aren't the same anymore, Lillian doesn't know who they are. She knows nothing. Skepticism has taken over the love she has for them.  

Lillian woke up early in morning before she left for work to cook up one of her father's favorite Italian dishes, Tortellini soup. She made it with Italian sausage and spinach. It was only meant to be eaten when the weather is cold. As she drove closer to his workplace, the knots in her stomach became tighter every time she passed a traffic light. She prayed that it wouldn't blow up in her face. The soup was a great distraction because of how much he loves to eat.

He's going to be surprised because she's sure he hasn't had the meal in a while and seeing Lillian always brightened up his day. There's no denial about his love for her. Since she was so nervous, she didn't realize when she got there.

Taking a good look at herself in the rearview mirror, Lillian reapplies her candy yum yum lipstick from MAC and pulls her curls out of her jacket. She inhales deeply before letting out the anxiety she was feeling.

She takes the bag containing the food and her black handbag and comes out of the car. Lillian is wearing a black high-waisted skirt and a grey plaid smocked shirt tucked inside. Her hair was in its natural curly state, resting on her collar bone. She goes through the security turnstile after swiping the custom made ID that was given to her by Kevin. Once she greeted the familiar faces, she was tempted to take the stairs instead since she didn't get to go for a run this morning. When she looks down her feet, she abandons the thought as she gazes at her heels.

In a quick flash, Lillian found herself on the 20th floor. To her favor, not many people rode the elevator with her. When Kevin's assistant sees her, she gives Lillian a warm smile. An uncomfortable smile curves on the side of her lips as she looks at the young woman. Lillian found it weird. She didn't know her father had fired Stella.

As Lillian walks over to her, the assistant immediately calls Kevin. Lillian didn't have to say a word. She simply nods at the assistant and takes a sit sat on the dark blue colored leather sofa. In no time her father came out.

"il Mio orgoglio e gioia." He calls her his pride and joy as he happily walks towards her. He kisses her cheeks, pulling her into a tight warm hug.

"Ciao papà." Lillian replies with a forced smile.

He lets go and look at  her. "Let me get a good look at you," he pauses. "You look tired."

She rolls her eyes, ignoring his statement. He was always worried about her. "I am because I woke up early to cook your favorite dish right here." She peels the bag off to reveal the plastic container filled with soup.

His eyes widens, gasping excitedly. Happiness is written all over him as he grabs the container from her. "il Mio Amore, thank you. Come on, let's go in." He leads Lillian into his office.

He stops by his assistant's desk and says, "Stefani, hold my calls for an hour." He instructs her before shutting the door.

Lillian strolls to the microwave that sat by the mini-fridge in his office to heat up the food. "It's been too long since we've seen each other and for that, I'm sorry princess." He apologizes as he creates room on his desk for the hot meal coming his way.

After setting the timer on the microwave, Lillian turns to face him, leaning on the portable kitchen cart. "It's fine. You've been busy I guess I can understand that," she pauses. "Working hard is the motto of this family."

Kevin James was looking refreshed. Sometimes it was hard to believe he was almost 58 years of age. He was very fit. Her father loves tattoos. They're all over his chest, shoulders, knees, wrists, ankles, and knuckles. Pretty much anywhere he could have a tattoo drawn on him he gets it done. Some of the designs included maps, flower petals, wordings, and even tribal marks on his right-hand knuckles. There were musical notes on it and on the left, there were letters on each knuckle which spelled out something Lillian never understood.

Standing 5'8 feet tall, Kevin has a Roman shaped nose with a sloping tip and icy blue eyes. He was indeed a handsome man. Lillian observed the change in his hair. He dyed it into a salt and pepper color. Kevin also created a slit on his right eyebrow hair. He hates being called old which is why he tries to keep up with the latest trends. His grey beards paired well with his light brown mustache.

This is where Lillian's love for fitness comes from  even though she's been falling behind. Kevin was very muscular for his age. He had six-packs and toned arms.

"You know," he says slowly, "you can always come here and take over when I retire." He suggests.

The microwave beeps, alerting Lillian the food was done warming up. She brings it out and carries it to his table. Pushing my hair to the side, she sighs while taking a sit. "Dad, we've been through this. I'm trying to make a name for myself that's outside of the James name. I want to do my own thing."

He raises his hands in the air defensively. "It's just a suggestion. I'm always proud of you, il Mio Amore." Meaning my love in Italian.

He removes his jacket and collects the spoon from the bag. "Ahh." He breaths out after taking a spoon full. "È delizioso." He compliments my cooking.

"Grazie papá." Lillian finds herself smiling like old times. It quickly fades when she remembers the disturbing information she had recently found out. "I'm glad you like it. So tell me about your trip, how was it?" She asks him as she removes her heels.

He takes a couple of spoons before responding. "It was good. Did some exchange and we should be good for the next six months." He picks up the napkin to wipe the light sweat forming on his forehead.

For a moment, Lillian was daydreaming until her father banged the table just loud enough to gain her attention. "Oh. Sorry." She says sitting up.

He was satisfied with the meal so he covers the plastic container and saves the rest for later. "Are you sure you're okay? You've been distant for a while. Is this about our argument?" He asks anxiously.

Shaking her head instantly, Lillian tries to dilute his interest. "That was a long time ago. We've closed that chapter dad." She adjusts her body in her seat, feeling uncomfortable.

Suddenly, he asks her a question she did not see coming. "How's Brena? You two friends again?"

Lillian was unsure on how to take the question. His tone turned cold for no reason. In the past, the few times he met Brena, there wasn't any awkwardness in the beginning. However, after her mother died whenever Lillian mentioned Brena's name, Kevin would talk over it or simply ignore her. Which is why it's surprising to hear him ask about her.

Without an explanation, Lillian felt the urge to say she and Brena weren't that close because right now, she doesn't trust him. "We're not that close so I'm not sure." She replies nonchalantly.

A frown is cast on his face. "It seems like I can never say the right thing to you. What's going on? You're angry I can feel it." He retorts irritatedly.

Talk about saved by the bell, well in this case saved by the cellphone. Lillian's manager, Stiles, was calling. She declines it and let it go into voicemail. She gathers her things and slips her heels on. "I'm fine dad I promise. It's work. You know how that goes. The new CEO is changing everything and I'm trying to catch up with the changes."

"I was expecting you to stay for another," his voice trails off, gazing at the wall clock. "30 minutes at least." He stands up, walking closer to Lillian for a hug.

"I know but my manager just called I'm guessing he needs me back at the office." Lillian responds, almost believing her own lie.

Before he could reply, she gave him a light peck on the cheek. "Love you. I'll call you later. Bye and don't worry I'll text mom." She runs out frantically as if she was being chased by a ghost.

She waves goodbye to Stefani as she heads towards the bathroom on the first floor. She attempts to call Stiles back as curiosity clouded her mind. Surprisingly, he left a voicemail for her.

"On your way back, get me a large Iced Americano with a triple shot of espresso with a turkey and basil pesto sandwich. Tell them to heat it up before you give it to me. Don't be late."

Lillian groans frustratedly at his lack of manners. She couldn't believe this was this person who the company is considering for the Executive Director position. She was reminded herself that everything is going to be okay. The truth will come one way or the other.

She exists out of her voicemail and opens her iMessage app to text Brena.

To: Brena
It wasn't too good but I'll tell you later when I get home. Love you and good luck on all your meetings.

When she presses send, she goes back to her home page and sees that Damien sent her text message earlier.

From: Damien
How you feelin' babygirl? I hope you aigh' can't wait to see your pretty ass later.

Lillian starts to blush as she reads the flirty message. It almost made her feel better.

To: Damien
I'm fine handsome. This pretty ass face can't wait to see you too. Don't forget. 6 pm at the Omni fitness center.

Lillian was grateful that they were going to the gym later that day. There was a lot of steam she needed to blow off and the gym enabled her to do. When she steps outside, she sighed heavily as the brittle cold breeze causes her to shiver. She walks faster to the parking lot and enters her car.

Lillian grunts annoyedly as she turns on the radio. She pulls out of the parking lot feeling stressed and confused. With one hand on the steering wheel, Lillian's thoughts were burning her mind. She couldn't wrap her head around the thought of her father being the opposite of who she's seen him portray himself to be.

Right after Brena left Lillian's workplace, she heads straight for her mother's office. The brief moment with Desmond felt right. She could talk about him all day. From his good-looks and his vast confidence,  Brena couldn't deny that she was attracted to him.

She was aware that she was trying to fight what she may be feeling for him. There were a couple of reasons she was doing so. The timing isn't right and she didn't know if he was trying to play any games and only wanted to sleep with her. Brena isn't a sexy only kind of girl. Lamarr didn't take her virginity because she wasn't ready and now, she's thankful that he wasn't the one.

Keeping her virginity was her choice and her mother always told her that sex was natural and that being a virgin was normal. There was no shame in being one. All Victoria advised her was that, when you know, you know. At first, it was because of religious reasons but as Brena got older, she saw that the guys she came across with were not worthy of her.

With Desmond however, she was so ready for him to tear her clothes off and let his hands caress her body. Even the thought alone, heated up her insides. Sad to say, she doesn't trust men. That's the reason she's always on attack mode whenever any guy tries to flirting with her. She know that not every man is the same but until the right one comes, she's not thinking any differently.

Being that this was the headquarters, the office branch only occupied ten floors out of forty. Thanks to Henry, parking was reserved for her so it wasn't difficult finding a spot. When she walked into the lobby, the first thing that caught her eyes was the exquisite modern design. She couldn't remember the last time she stepped foot in here.

The name Phillips & Co was written in bold block letters on the wall. The receptionist looked starstruck when he saw her last name on the ID card when Brena showed it to him.

Clicking her heels on the vinyl flooring, Brena's eyes scanned the large space as she sees a few familiar faces walking back and forth. A lot of people were excited to see her back into the fold. She could see people whispering, most likely informing the new faces that she's Victoria Phillips' daughter.

While Brena is inside the elevator, two young women entered. The red-haired had on a black and white striped dress and black heels that looked like they were ready to give out at any minute.

Brena found humor in the fact that the young lady thought she had the right to talk. "Why is she here? She hasn't even been here since her mother died." Says the short red-haired woman.

They didn't know who Brena was nor the fact that she was the one standing beside them. Brena had her AirPods in so they thought she couldn't overhear their conversation. When Brena heard the next statement, she got tired of biting her tongue.

"Her mother is gone. Why does she think she can just walk in here." Says the tall blonde woman.

Her boobs were out on full display, ready to burst out of her shirt. Brena could tell from how tight her shirt was, she couldn't breathe properly. Shaking her head at the mess in front of her, Brena mutters, "fix it Jesus."

The way blonde woman was chewing her gum wasn't helping matters either. It was provoking and if Brena haven't been able to control her anger, she would have slapped her already. Brena takes out one side of my earphones and walks in between them.

"I don't think y'all get paid to gossip or to have your titties out like you trying to get fucked any minute. It's my last name outside and that's how it's going to be. If you have any questions, please ask me directly and don't whisper shit if you don't have the guts to say it directly to me. I'm not deaf."

The elevator dings at the right moment as Brena turns to both of them, with a smirk on her lips. "Have a wonderful day ladies, and remember to keep it classy." She blows a kiss at them and struts away.

Their mouths drop to the floor shockingly, like the ball at Times Square on the day of new year. Brena sensed that she struck a nerve but they had it coming. She don't work here either so I had the right to speak that way.

It had been two years since she involved herself in anything relating to the family business. Henry, however, updated her once in a while. The day he called concerning their meeting today was the first time she heard his voice in two years. They communicated through emails and text messages.

Making it to the conference room right on time, Brena saw that not much had changed, except for the chairs and table. With the heater was on full blast, she lets out a sigh of relief. As Brena walks over to one of the chairs, a tall slender dark-haired woman was already in the room.

She has on a square-shaped reading glasses and red lipstick. Brena admired the teal color suit she was wearing till her eyes met the files she has in one hand and the glass of water on the other. When the young woman sees Brena, she straightens up immediately.

"Hi, Ms.Phillips. I'm Hannah. Welcome." She greets Brena, setting the items on top of the table.

Brena gives her a firm handshake. "Nice to meet you, Hannah. And please, call me Brena." She chortles. "My mother was Ms.phillips. Are you okay? You seem nervous." Brena asks, hanging her blazer on the white chair.

She flips her hair to the other side before responding. "I am. I'm new to the company so I haven't met you but I've heard so many wonderful things about your mother."

Brena's cheeks raise up into a sad smile. "Well there's no need to be nervous. You know the building and everything about the company unlike me." Brena says.

"I guess you're right. You're beautiful by the way." Hannah blurts out with a small laugh.

"You're so sweet. Thank you, hun.  Your teal suit looks good on you. I love it."

"Thank you...Brena." She replies hesitantly. "I forgot to tell you that I'm the assistant to the CFO, Mr.Frederic. He'll be here in 10 mins." She informs Brena

Nodding in understanding, Brena replies . "Thank you. Tell him I'll be waiting." She assures Hannah.

As Hannah walks away, Brena's eyes begin to wander the gorgeous room. The white and brown curtains sat on the wall behind the dark brown leather sofas. White lights reflected on the glossy brown table in the middle of the room that separated the chairs. There are fourteen white leather chairs in the room.

While in the middle, sits a brown leather chair. It was the chair Brena's mother used sit in whenever she came in here for a meeting. Brena turns away when Evan also known as Mr.Frederic, walks into the conference room with two men.

"Brena Phillips in the flesh. Unbelievable!" Evan exclaims excitedly. "You've grown up, how are you?"

Brena smiles, standing up to her feet. "Hi Evan. I'm fine how are you doing?" She hugs him.

Years ago, Evan had a crush on Brena. It was that strong of a connection that he asked me out years after she turned nineteen. Then he was twenty-four then, meaning he is now twenty-nine. Brena is proud of how far he's come in the business.

"You're still beautiful no shocker there. I can't believe you're here." He says in a velvety tone, gazing into Brena's eyes

Brena clears her throat to get him out of his trance. "Ahem...Ahem." She looks down and spots a silver wedding band on his finger. "And you're married. Congratulations. Who's the unlucky woman?" She teases.

A soft chuckle airs out of Evan's lips. "Remember John?"

Brena gasps in shock with her eyes widened. Slight guilt creeps in when she realizes that she's missed out on a lot. She remembers the two of them constantly arguing over solvable issues. Victoria would sometimes get a headache when she tried to get them to work it out.

John wasn't too fond of Brena whenever he saw her and Evan having a conversation. Now it made sense to Brena. He had nothing to worry about though, Brena was was never interested in him. Evan was very handsome. He's gotten even more handsome over the years. He's 5'8 feet tall rocking a crew cut buzz cut and clean shave.

Evan's jawline is well-defined, bringing more attention to his blush-colored lips. Green eyes and heart shaped lips, Evan reminded Brena of the famous actor from Teen wolf, Colton Hayes.

"Get out of here. Oh wow. Congratulations. He's handsome so you're lucky." Brena replies, sitting down.

Evan sat across from her, and the other men followed suit. "I'll be sure to tell him. Okay let's get down to business shall we?"

When the meeting finished, Brena had a lot to think about. She told Evan that she will join the zoom meeting with the manufacturers, next month. This way she could get a reasonable insight into what their company would be getting itself into.

Next month, they'd be arriving in the U.S. If Brena goes ahead with the deal then she would be present at the meetings that includes Philips & Co, the automobile company, and of course the manufacturers. It sounds like a strategic move for the company and Brena thinks she might sign the deal. She felt like it was the right thing to do and that her mother would want her to do so.

The only con about this is the fact that they haven't come to terms with any automobile corporation here in the U.S. What Philips & Co would do is to help with advertisements here in New York City, while the automobile company focuses on the extension in the Tri-State area.

When they see the sales by year's end, they'll work on extending it nationwide. The cars for this year's lineup were different in a good way. There were sedans, hatchbacks, coupès, convertibles, sport utility vehicles, sports cars, and luxury vehicles. Brena's only input would be for them to create minivans. Here in America, there several families who find minivans useful for daily routines.

That would be a great way to win over families. This deal would be great for sales and push Philips & Co into the advertising business, bringing in an abundance in profits. When she enters her car, Brena scrolls straight to Lillian's message.

From: LJ
It wasn't too good but I'll tell you later when I get home. I love you. have a great day and good luck on all your meetings.

To: LJ
We can talk about it this weekend. You wanna come over? Or should I? And yeah the first one went well. I'mma put you on later. Love you more.

After sending her message to Lillian, Brena opens her call log to give and clicks on Henry's name. "Hey Henry." She says, driving out of the parking lot.

"Good afternoon Brena. Are you on your way?" Henry replies.

"Yeah, I'm leaving Manhattan right now. I'll be there in an hour."

"Okay." He says, then proceeds to cut off the call.

Driving from Manhattan to Queens wasn't too far if you took the highway. The weather was super cold and Brena couldn't wait to get home so she could be underneath her covers. Pulling up to an empty lot, Brena glances over at her and checks she and Henry's messages. She was making sure she had the correct address. Not only was the lot huge, but it was quiet. Only grasses surrounded the space and Brena grew suspicious.

There was no cell service and the day was starting to get dark. As she attempts to drive away, she hears a knock on the car window. It was Henry. He was wearing a black puffy jacket with brown colored fur. But his hoodie was on so she couldn't see much of his face. She quickly opens the door for him.

"Hey Bren. Thanks." He says, shutting the door.

Brena turns the car off and turns to face him. " No problem and look at you Henry. You've been working out huh?" She replies in a small laugh.

"Yeah.." He chuckles. "I was tired of looking like a toothpick. My brothers never let me hear the end of it."He pulls his hoodie down.

"Now that you gaining a lil' muscle, you can fuck them up easily if they try talking shit next time." Brena teases.

Henry has dark brown hair with an undercut fade. He wasn't the tallest but he is incredibly intelligent. 5'9 with the brain of Einstein, Brena can understand why her mother hired him. He has more lashes than her and they are full and long. A hawk shaped nose sculpted underneath his pretty brown eyes. Compared to the last time Brena saw him, he was looking far better. She then notices the small brown construction envelope he was holding onto.

"So what's up?" She questions, staring straight at him.

"Thanks for coming, Brena. Like I told you over the phone, your mother left something for you. And it's in this envelope right here." He hands over the envelope.

"What's in it?" Brena says suspiciously, slowly takes it from him.

"I can't tell you that Brena. It's for you to find out." He pauses. "Make sure you don't tell anyone. Not your best friend. Also, please do not open it in public. Do it when you're alone." He warns.

Brena flips the envelope over trying to see if there was anything else apart from the inscription that read, For Brena. That was the only thing written on it. As she uses her hand to get a feel of the package, her hands stumble on a small solid object.

She couldn't make out what it was because of the thickness of the envelope. "The way you're sounding, you make it seem like we're being watched or something. You good?"

Henry sighs disappointedly. "As I said, I can't tell you anything. Just know that all the answers you're looking for are inside that envelope." Just before she could respond, she hears the car door shut close.

Henry was gone.

Brena's day just got weird. She returns her gaze to the package, staring at it confusingly before placing it inside the glove compartment. The whole encounter with Henry rubbed Brena off the wrong way.

What does he mean all the answers I'm looking for are in this envelope? She mutters quizzically.

To her it sounded like a coded message. Brena felt like she was about to unlock something when she got the chance to look through it. Her only hope was that whatever it is, it shouldn't be disastrous in anyway. 

Brena was exhausted by the time she got home. She headed directly to the bathroom to take a shower. She followed her nighttime routine before getting in bed. She texts Lillian that Henry didn't show. Though she didn't want to lie but she was simply following the instructions she was given.

When she knows what it contains, she'll tell Lillian everything. She walks to her closet and reaches for her mini black electronic safe. After she punches in the pin code, she places the envelope inside and texts Henry to inform him that she would be busy in the next few weeks so opening the package may take a little while longer.

Once she plugs in her charger, she sets her alarm and let the phone rest on her nightstand. As she lays down, Henry's words replay in her head.

Just know that all the answers you're looking for are inside that envelope.

_____________________________

04.21.2020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 251 82
Two kids with horrible school experiences despite being from different backgrounds are admitted towards the ultimate high school experience, and have...
438K 11K 81
Lillian Black was just a child when she lost her innocence. She was just a child when she realized the world is a cruel place. She was just a teenag...
899 76 42
"๐™’๐™๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™๐™š ๐™—๐™ง๐™ค๐™ช๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ก๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ ๐™ž๐™ฃ, ๐™จ๐™๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™ž๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™™๐™–๐™ง๐™  ๐™—๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™จ๐™๐™š ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฃ ๐™ง๐™š๐™–๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฏ๐™š๐™™ ๐™...
6.7K 238 25
[COMPLETED] There are two things you can count on in a small town, bad weather and boys who can make your heart thump faster than a horse's hooves ...