The Prince's Mark

By superrumor

Tracou Vartanian, a provincial dezmek lord, travels to the capital of a foreign land to see the wares on offe... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
The Road to Dezmer - One
The Road to Dezmer - Two
The Road to Dezmer - Three
The Road to Dezmer - Four
The Road to Dezmer - Five
The Road to Dezmer - Six
The Road to Dezmer - Seven
The Road to Dezmer - Eight
The Road to Dezmer - Nine
The Road to Dezmer - Ten
The Road to Dezmer - Eleven
The Road to Dezmer - Twelve
The Road to Dezmer - Thirteen
The Road to Dezmer - Fourteen
The Road to Dezmer - Fifteen
The Road to Dezmer - Sixteen
The Road to Dezmer - Seventeen
The Road to Dezmer - Eighteen
The Road to Dezmer - Nineteen
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty One
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Two
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Three
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Four
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Five
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Seven
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Eight
The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Nine
The Road to Dezmer - Thirty
The Road to Dezmer - Thirty One
The Road to Dezmer - Thirty Two
The Road to Dezmer - Thirty Three

The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Six

122 16 3
By superrumor

Truth be told, the full impact of what was happening hadn't hit Mirthal. Despite the dire situation, they had a backup plan. In the worst-case scenario, he could offer himself up as a hostage. Sure, Pendaer and Tracou would hate the idea, but if he could prevent dezmek deaths, then he would. It would even prevent Winlean deaths. And besides, they had rescued him before so they could rescue him again.

Mirthal now stood in the manor, holding the hooded cloak Sakshi had given him. He hovered behind Pendaer, but Pendaer had to take off his hat to don the coat. He hesitated, then yanked the cloak away from Mirthal.

"Turn around."

Mirthal did as he was told, but Tracou didn't, his eyes far away. He had been stuck up in his head for the past while, so Mirthal turned him around to keep Pendaer from getting agitated.

Once ready, Pendaer stood in front of them. He hunched over.

"Do I look short enough to be a human?"

Compared to most elves, Pendaer had only grown to the lower end of average height. Slouching, he could pass as a tall human.

Now alert, Tracou took in Pendaer as a whole. "What if someone recognizes you?" he asked, worry creeping into his tone. Again.

"You had that horrible magic on me in the castle, remember?"

Tracou nodded, still frowning. "That's true... Fine. I'm going to tell everyone the plan. Then we can go, okay?"

Mirthal looked him over. An unwelcome image came to mind.

Chaos. Winlean men swarming Ergakan, looking for dezmek to murder. A Winlean criminal would spot Tracou. He would rush toward him, knocking him down, and stomp a boot on his chest, cracking his ribs. Then, as Tracou struggled to breathe, the criminal would raise his sword—

He shut his eyes hard enough to hurt, driving the image away.

"You should stay here."

Tracou shook his head. "I'm coming with."

"You should stay. It's too dangerous for you."

"For me? If anyone should stay, it should be you! What do you even plan on doing?"

Did Tracou think all of that sword practice was just for fun? Maybe Mirthal had only been practicing how to fight one foe, but he would definitely be able to handle himself. Definitely. No one needed to shield him, but Tracou was delicate and powerless as long as that dust was in the air. Mirthal would help him, this time. He would show him his worth—one that didn't rely on who happened to sire him.

"You both should stay here," Pendaer declared with a flourish of his hand. "Stay here where it's safe. I'll protect you both and this backwater village to boot!"

Mirthal let what Pendaer said wash over him, not outwardly reacting, but it broke through Tracou's concerned fog. He glared, ready to start an argument.

Then, a moment later, Tracou's expression softened.

"Thank you for helping us, Pendaer. I'll be in your debt after this."

Mirthal could not believe his ears. But even more than Mirthal, Pendaer seemed lost. He took a single step back, his mouth open. As those words sunk in, Pendaer's face turned a deep red and he about faced.

"We don't have time for this, so I should go," he said, alternating between mumbling and speaking too loudly.

"We're all going," Tracou huffed.

As much as Mirthal wanted to argue with Tracou, he was hard to sway in the best of times. Maybe he would enter one of the houses and stay there until everything was over.

"Fine."

Tracou made another briefing to his villagers. This ability to communicate throughout an entire village with just one person would have made quite a few battles in Elvish history end differently.

Once finished, Tracou put on his coat and opened his front door.

Both Pendaer and Mirthal had weapons, two different kinds in fact, but Tracou had nothing

"Tracou, why don't you take that stone knife with you?"

Tracou vigorously shook his head. "They'll just use it against me. I'll bring my wand; it amounts to the same thing, anyway."

One had considerably more cutting power than the other, making it a much better weapon. Then again, if Tracou would stay inside of a building then he should be fine. They had to move.

Outside, the dust had built up to the point that it burst up into the air whenever their horses' hooves hit the ground. How much of the Winleans' ships had been devoted to carrying the powder? That, plus people and food... It was a wonder none had sunk.

Then again, maybe they had. A force of a mere one hundred people could not have been intentional.

Fresh footprints led west, towards Terel. In the distance, Mirthal could hear the frantic panting of a small family. They spoke to each other, a feminine voice offering soothing words, but he didn't understand them.

He tried to put them out of his mind.

A sprinkling of villagers rummaged about outside, gathering rocks and anything edible. Most were middle aged, old enough to have adult children but not old enough to need help. Silent, they worked in pairs. Some worked jerkily and jumped at every sound, while others with blank faces moved as if they had invisible strings controlling them from the heavens. Watching them worried Mirthal more than it was worth.

Gray. Even above the powder in the air, thick clouds had gathered.

It was suffocating. The inside of his nose and even his throat would be coated in gray soon enough.

When they arrived at the cluster of houses, they found Stepan waiting outside for them. Tracou dismounted and darted over to him. They spoke rapidly, the words passing their lips in little white puffs.

Three homes sat on both sides of the road, each with another house's width in between them. Due to the gray, these buildings had reverted to their basic shack structures. A few dezmek would be able to fit into each of them and hopefully could launch enough projectiles that the threat would collapse.

Pendaer dismounted, catching Mirthal by surprise.

"What are you doing?"

"If I approach them on foot, I'll be less threatening. That older dezmek said that they were walking, after all."

"Oh... I hadn't thought of that."

Tracou trotted over to Pendaer, Stepan trailing behind him.

"Pendaer, when you lead them here, Stepan will have his seagull familiar waiting on the side of the road on your right. Once you go past it, we'll start the attack. Okay?"

"Yes, fine." Pendaer waved an unsteady hand back and forth. "I'm going." With that said, he began to walk.

"Come back in one piece!" Tracou called after him.

"Be careful," Mirthal said in Elvish.

Pendaer hesitated briefly, stopping in the middle of the road, before puffing up and going on his way again. Mirthal and Tracou watched, standing silently for minutes on end, as Pendaer dwindled to a speck in the distance.

Would he really be all right? In other circumstances, Mirthal would never send someone so abrasive as a lure.

"Mirthal."

Glancing downward, Mirthal's eyes met Tracou's.

"Serpouhi, Stepan, Elira, and I are going to be in four of the houses here. Let's go inside, okay? Stepan said that the Winleans are coming closer."

That would be the safe thing to do, of course. But he wouldn't be of any use stuck inside a house when he couldn't help pelt rocks at people.

"I'm going to wait outside."

"What?! Don't be stupid!"

"I'm not going to wait out in the road, Tracou. If too many of those humans survive the attack, Pendaer might get hurt. So... I want to wait outside so I can help him."

Tracou glowered up at him and opened his mouth to chastise him again, but Stepan said a few words which made him reconsider his approach.

"If you die I'll hate you forever."

With a chuckle, Mirthal leaned down and took Tracou's hand. Before Tracou could react, he peeled his glove off and kissed his mark.

"Tch, don't kiss me there."

Mirthal straightened up again and cheerfully put Tracou's glove back on. "If I kiss you on the lips, I'll get dizzy."

Stepan spoke up again, his voice sounding urgent. What he said made Tracou grimace.

"They've nearly met Pendaer."

"Then you'd better get inside."

"Stay behind the houses, okay?"

"Okay."

Reluctantly, Tracou moved away from Mirthal. They nodded to each other and Tracou left, going into one of the homes. Stepan waved at Mirthal and gave him a hearty Dezmerian "good morning," before entering a different house.

Hopefully this plan would work.

After getting the horses into a barn, Mirthal now had to decide where he would hide. If he moved down the road, towards the direction Pendaer went, he could spring up from behind if something went wrong.

But then he would be behind Pendaer, which might not help him. Bodies could stand between him and Pendaer.

Tracou had told him to stay behind the houses, which Mirthal decided was the right way to go. At least that way he would have some kind of shelter. Normally he would stick out like a sore thumb, since anyone walking up the road would be able to see him at the right angle, but the world was gray. All he had to do was cover himself in powder and he blended right in. Peering down the lane, Mirthal rubbed the gray into his hair.

He waited.

With the sun hidden, he had no way to gauge the passage of time. It felt agonizing.

Tracou must be vibrating with anxiety.

With each minute that passed, Mirthal became closer to matching that concern.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 280 49
No one expected the Sky Fall, the rapid disappearance of the stars before they crashed into Earth, rendering it useless. No one expected humanity to...
561K 27.1K 34
(COMPLETED Book 1 of The Sector Series) Keylin is a young elf trying to get by in life. Looked down upon because of his looks, he is known as 'snake'...
15K 1.6K 35
Since childhood, Dusan heard stories about airies-the magical creatures who could bend the rules of nature to their will. Despite looking like humans...
180K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...