My Rowdy Cowboy. (3B Ranch S...

By _Becca_Lynn__

With the eighth anniversary of his twin brother's death during a military detail drawing near, Randy (Rowdy)... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
Epilogue

11

5.7K 377 7
By _Becca_Lynn__

**** Two weeks later-

**** Rowdy knelt down on Apple Blossom Hill before his brother's headstone. He sighed and looked down at the arm that hung in a sling. "Hey, bro. Thought you and Mr. B would like to know that Brett's back, course you probably already knew that. It seems he's been alive all this time, doin' some undercover work as an FBI agent, just like his old man. He hasn't really said how or when bein' a SEAL stopped and becomin' an agent started." He looked down at his hat and tapped the stone with it.

"Turns out Mr. B was murdered, and we're goin' to find the ones responsible. And I'm sure I told ya that Beau married this hot little ticket from the country music world, her name's Drina. Anyway, she took to ranch life like a duck to water. They've been married about two years now and just had their first... second... and third babies. Triplets! Can you believe it! Two girls and a boy. He's proud as punch. Can you imagine Beau as a father? You ought to see him with those babies. What's more, " he chuckled. "I delivered them... All three of them. One of the proudest moments of my life."

Rowdy sighed and traced his brother's name on the stone. "I envy him. He has this beautiful wife that thinks he hung the moon, adopted kids that thinks he's Tarzan, the Lone Ranger, and John Wayne all wrapped up in one and these three tiny, beautiful little babies. What more could any man want?"

He chuckled and ran his hand back and forth over the top of the stone. "The girls are Brittany Hāgar, and Cārlyn Sage. C-Ar-Lynn, she's the youngest and the smallest. She was this tiny little babydoll sized surprise. They're really blessed that she survived. Her first name means Little Champion in Irish. Pop asked if he could name her, and it fits. You ought to see pop with her." He shook his head and chuckled.

"He holds and cuddles her and calls her his little champ. She grabs at his mustash, hangs on and pulls, he grimaces and chuckles and just goes on and let's her pull.  He's a natural grandpa bro. The boy... well... his name is Alexander Brody. Brett's middle name and your first. How about that?" He grinned.

He stood and looked around him, "I really miss ya, bro, I... I don't feel complete without you, except when I'm with Bobbi and... Then I feel guilty because I'm here and you're not. Well, don't worry." he swallowed, "I remember yer warnin', and I've passed it on to Beau and Pop. I'm beginnin' to understand some of what ya said. We've increased security, and we're helpin' the sheriff's office in looking for Rodney's camp. that guy they caught, turns out he wasn't the shooter after all. the one that got away was. he, uh didn't really get away though. The Sheriff and one of her deputies found him a few days later."

He was quiet for a moment, gathering his thoughts.

"Pop and Lillie, they're doin' real good, they're good together and good for each other. Nothin' will happen to Bobbi or anyone else now that we're on alert. I just wish I had a better understanding of what all ya meant, I still can't figure out anything about this Charity you spoke of. But, I...talked to Drina and Todd. You remember him? He was always more interested in the dinosaur bones he found than cattle. Anyway, he changed his major back in college, he split it between Paliology and Theology.  He chose a minor in counseling. He's becoming pretty well known about the dinosaur bones right here in Montana.  Can you believe that?  Beau fenced off a section that they're findin' a lot of bones in. Told him to dig up whatever he wants as long as it doesn't interfere with the cattle operation. He and Drina, they've helped me a lot. I'm not gonna give up, I understand now that I wasn't responsible for your death and I'll keep looking for this Charity.  And I'm not givin' up on me and Bobbi either, we're giving' us another try."

He sighed, "I'll never understand women in a thousand years." Shaking his head he smiled. "Any way, I have a second chance with her, and I'm gonna use it well. I still have to speak with Drina about whatever box Mr. B was talkin' about, but..."

"I thought I'd find you here." A female voice came from behind him.

Thinking he was alone, Rowdy swung around in a crouch. Only a flicker of pain showed on his face as he changed into full Ranger mode. The viciousness that glared at her through his green eyes made her blood run cold.

She stepped back and raised her hands, "I'm sorry, Rowdy, I didn't mean to startle you. I... I was worried when you disappeared and didn't come back. I came up as slow, and quiet as I could so I wouldn't interrupt... and... I did anyway. I'm sorry."

Rowdy slowly straightened and worked to slow his breathing. "You need to be careful comin' up behind someone like that. Especially someone with Special Forces trainin'. I could have hurt you... or worse. What were you thinkin', Bobbi?!" he turned his hand over exposing the lethal knife he held at the readiness.

Shaken by the quickness in which he had changed she began again to reevaluate the picture she had of him. She looked closely into his eyes. "Are you all right, Rowdy? I... I'm worried about you."

They looked at each other for a long moment. "We, haven't been alone to talk privately since that day in the hospital. I thought we decided that we would be try being together again, but we still seem to be a little, I don't know, uneasy with other."

He looked down and sighed. "I know Bobbs... I... don't like bein' at odds with you either. We need to make a decision here, we're either together or we're not." Rowdy said.

"I've never wanted anyone but you, Rowdy. I thought you knew that."

"I don't want anyone but you, Bobbi. We've got some fence mending to do and a year to catch up on. I... I'm... better now. I was so torn up over losing Brett. Anyway, it's not gonna be a cake walk, but if you'll be patient, I'm willin' to do my part." He said gently rubbing her cheek with the back of his fingers.

"I promise to do my share and then some, I'll be there for you Rowdy." she whispered. Rowdy turned, gave one last look at the stone. "Talk to ya later bro." And the two walked down the hill together, arm in arm.

Behind them, the two unseen Army Rangers smiled at each other and walked into the apple tree as the sweet scent of apple blossoms swirled around the couple as they kissed.

        ***

Brett sat at the desk in Beau's office going over the case files that Deputy Small Bear had delivered. He had been sitting there for hours and was no closer to putting the puzzle together. He didn't normally have trouble concentrating but, his mind kept wondering back to a silky, figure hugging top and tight jeans. Maybe if there hadn't been rhinestones on the back pockets that flashed and sparkled with every sway of those hips.

He returned his gaze to the file. The other shooter had gotten away or, thought he had. Nico had won the prisoner, Pedro, over, and had gotten some real information. Rodriguez had recieved information that two men on horse back would be checking the fence line in that quadrant. He and the other shooter had been sent there to watch and wait. If the cowboys had found the break in the wire they were to take them out at all costs. Pedro made an odd statement about not wanting to be the one that got away if the boss was to find him. He had muttered and crossed himself when Nico told him that the sniper had disappeared and then turned up dead. "Mamma Mia," he had said with a shudder.

Sheriff Koni had informed the man that not only had the other shooter been found but, the body had been barely recognizable.  "Si," the man had said.

Brett studied the crime scene photos. The body looked like it had been mauled.  He leaned back in the chair and rubbed his face. He heard a knock before Rowdy entered with Drina and Beau. "You need to be a part of this, Brett, you too Deputy Dan."

Confused Brett spun the chair and lifted a brow. "What's this all about?"

"Well, that's what we're gonna find out." Beau answered.

"Rowdy has somethin' to tell us that he thinks might shed some light on things."

Brett raised an eyebrow and looked at Rowdy, "Well, I am more than happy to put this file away for awhile." 'And maybe it'll help me get my mind off Trish'.  "Where did you get this information?"

Rowdy looked at the floor and rubbed the back of his neck, "Uh, closest thing I can say is that it all came to me in a dream."

"A dream?"

"A dream?"  The brothers said in unison.

"Well, that's real supportive." Drina scolded. "I would certainly look forward to relating what I dreamed." And she looked at both men in exasperation.

"Well, you gotta admit," Beau said, "it is a little unusual."

"On the contrary, it isn't at all unusual.  We have a woman on the Res, Bear's grandmother,  she sees things, is told things." The young deputy said. 

"That's right. We need to pay attention to it." Drina agreed. She looked at her husband and continued. "The reason we met was because my folks sent me a dream." Beau looked at his wife, a little stunned.

Brett's lips twitched and he glanced at Rowdy first then at his brother. "OK! The boss has spoken."

All four looked at Rowdy expectantly. "Ok." And he proceeded to tell the group about the "dream", how their father and his brother had looked and behaved. The two brothers looked at each other when specific bits of information came up that few others knew about.

"That's amazing," Brett said as Beau nodded.

"So what do you think we should do with this information?" Beau asked.

"That's not all," Rowdy interrupted. The three looked at him and waited.

He looked at Drina and asked, "Mr. B. also told me to ask you about the box."

"Box?"

"What box?" Again, the brothers asked simultaneously.

Drina turned pale, sat up and looked at Rowdy.

"The box! Oh my Gosh! I had forgotten about that." She looked at the men.

"What box, honey?" Beau asked his wife.

"In East number Two cabin there's a loose floorboard in about the middle of the room. I tripped on it or I wouldn't have noticed it at all. There's a little compartment under it and there were some papers in a plastic ziplock bag and a metal box filled with files marked Classified. That's supposed to have information that you need."

"And just how is it that you came by this information?" Brett asked looking somewhat suspicious.

She looked at Brett and said quietly. "Your dad told me that night in the cabin when Beau was so sick, just after he turned on the signal light. He carried in a huge load of dry wood," she looked around and waved her hands around as if looking for an answer. "The wood was dry and it lasted through our entire stay. Anyway,  just before he left, he spoke of the box and said it had answers in it that you would need. The door opened then, all by itself....the wind was blowing and it was snowing like crazy outside but, none of it blew inside the cabin. And there was your dad, standing there with the firewood.  When he came inside, I saw....I saw another man, a soldier standing outside, in front of the door.  He was dressed in military clothes... And he...at first I thought it you Rowdy. He looked just like you. He was standing there with a rifle like he was guarding the cabin. After your dad told me about the box and said goodbye,  they left together... they just sort of walked into the snow storm and faded away."

She expected the men to scoff or laugh but they were all serious.

"The soldier outside, was he dressed," he pulled a picture from his wallet and handed it to her, "Like this?"

"Oh my Gosh! That's him! Not just the way he was dressed - that's him! That's the soldier!"

She looked at each man trying desperately, wanting them to believe. "Guys, I was not hallucinating!" Rowdy showed the two brothers the picture of his brother and replaced it in his wallet.

Rowdy smiled and cleared his throat, "No, Drina, we know that. The soldier you saw guarding the cabin, was my brother, Brody. He and Mr. B are together, helping and guarding the family and the ranch."

Drina's eyes grew large and she gasped, "That's one of the things he told me, that he was here to help. Their job was to guard the family and the ranch."

The four people looked at each other.

"Ok," Beau said and rose. "Let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.9K 1.7K 28
AdaJane packed up what little she had from Texas to attend Veterinary School in Wyoming where she meets her soul sister, best friend, and college roo...
577K 31.7K 67
❝Human by Day and Wolf by Night.❞ But what would you do if you saw one in broad daylight? - * - Abigail wasn't prepared to hear that she and h...
1.1M 24.5K 37
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A WOMAN WHO SURVIVED. Highest rank # 1 in Mystery/Thriller! Written on Wattpad and now published worldwide in print and eBook...
1.5K 157 35
Blair Evermore: a simple kid with a complicated life. With a brother that would do anything for her and two FBI agents for parents, she doesn't have...