Project LOKI ②

By AkoSiIbarra

The adventures of the QED Club continue as the Moriarty mystery thickens. Looking for VOLUME 1? Read it here:... More

Project LOKI - Volume 2
Chapter 21: The Pandora's Box (Part 1)
Chapter 21: The Pandora's Box (Part 2)
Chapter 22: The Petrarchan Connection (Part 1)
Chapter 22: The Petrarchan Connection (Part 2)
Chapter 23: Curse of Avada Kedavra (The Investigation)
Chapter 23: Curse of Avada Kedavra (The Resolution)
Chapter 24: The Reichenbach Resonance (Part 1)
Chapter 24: The Reichenbach Resonance (Part 2)
Chapter 24: The Reichenbach Resonance (Part 3)
Chapter 24: The Reichenbach Resonance (Part 4)
Chapter 25: She's Dating the Casanova (The Case)
Chapter 25: She's Dating the Casanova (The Trap)
Chapter 25: She's Dating the Casanova (The Resolution)
Chapter 26: Twinkle, Twinkle Murders (First Murder)
Chapter 26: Twinkle, Twinkle Murders (Second Murder)
Chapter 26: Twinkle, Twinkle Murders (Third Murder)
Chapter 26: Twinkle, Twinkle Murders (The Resolution)
Chapter 26.5: The Woman [SPECIAL]
Chapter 27: The Spider's Scarlet Threads (The Case)
Chapter 27: The Spider's Scarlet Threads (The Detour)
Chapter 27: The Spider's Scarlet Threads (The Alliance)
Chapter 28: Fall of the QED Club (Part 1)
Chapter 28: Fall of the QED Club (Part 2)
Chapter 28: Fall of the QED Club (Part 3)
Chapter 28: Fall of the QED Club (Part 4)
Chapter 29: A Series of Unfortunate Events (The Case)
Chapter 29: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Murder or Suicide?)
Chapter 29: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Connecting Dots)
Chapter 29: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Cultural Committee Conundrum)
Chapter 29: A Series of Unfortunate Events (The Conclusion)
Chapter 30: The Assassination of Walter Rios (The Invitation)
Chapter 30: The Assassination of Walter Rios (The Threat)
Chapter 30: The Assassination of Walter Rios (The Truth)
Chapter 31: Game of the Generals (The Case)
Chapter 31: Game of the Generals (The Plan)
Chapter 31: Game of the Generals (The Chase)
Chapter 32: The Haunt of Bascoville (The Case)
Chapter 32: The Haunt of Bascoville (Father and Daughter)
Chapter 32: The Haunt of Bascoville (The Wraith)
Chapter 32: The Haunt of Bascoville (The Resolution)
Chapter 33: The Enemy of My Enemy (The Client)
Chapter 33: The Enemy of My Enemy (This Is For You)
Chapter 33: The Enemy of My Enemy (Come With Us)
Chapter 34: Thou Shall Not Be Harmed (Part 1)
Chapter 34: Thou Shall Not Be Harmed (Part 2)
Chapter 35: Napoleon-Gone-Wrong
Afterword
FAQ GANERN! (Spoiler Alert!)
ANNOUNCEMENT: Project LOKI Volume 2 • Part 1 and Part 2
Project LOKI: Volume 3
EXTRA: The Final Project

Chapter 23: Curse of Avada Kedavra (The Case)

180K 8.4K 7.7K
By AkoSiIbarra

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

LORELEI

LOKI NEVER struck me as an art enthusiast, but what he did on the wall of our living room was impressive. From my room, it appeared as a spider's web of scarlet threads. If one would look closer, photos of familiar faces whom we had met in the past months were strategically placed on it. In the center, the smiling face of a seemingly innocent student was pinned.

Whose face was it? Stein Alberts.

Based on the latest update, he was still in a coma. Most people would feel sorry about his condition, but Clark High had never been this peaceful since the disappearance of the young criminal mastermind. If Loki was not indefinitely suspended, he would be surely bored by the lack of thrilling cases.

"What can you say about my artwork?"

I turned around to face my roommate emerging from his room. In his right hand, he held the Harry Potter book that he had been reading recently. Hindi ko pa siya natatanong kung bakit naging interesado siya sa wizarding world. He never brought up the topic anyway.

"Is this for your Art class?" tanong ko sabay turo sa obra maestra niya. "Or were you so bored last night, you decided to weave a couple of red threads?"

He walked toward his so-called artwork, his head held up high. "This isn't just a couple of red threads. This is Moriarty's spider web of conspiracy. As you've probably noticed, everyone attached to my magnum opus is or was connected to him. Most of them are dead while few are breathing and walking free."

"So Stein Alberts a.k.a. Moriarty is a spider?"

"He's a spider that sits motionless at the center of this bloody web, if I were to borrow Sherlock Holmes' words. The magnitude of his organization wasn't apparent to me until we met some of his minions. Whenever we're this close to getting an answer, Moriarty always finds a way to cut that thread so it can't be traced back to him."

Itinuro niya ang isang thread malapit sa picture ni Stein at sinundan ito hanggang sa narating ng daliri niya ang picture ng isang police officer.

"At this point of the game, there's only one living man we know who's connected to him. Bastien Montreal, the rookie campus police officer. We have no proof that Stein is connected to the murders plotted by Moriarty. But we can probably find proof from people associated with his psychopathic alter ego."

"So Officer Montreal will be the evidence? Or he will provide the evidence needed to convict Stein?"

"Precisely." He skirted around me, his hands behind his back. "The question is how. Should we wait for him to encounter us in a case again? Or should we make the first move?"

Officer Montreal is part of the campus police, so we would definitely cross paths again . . . especially once Moriarty and his minions resumed wreaking havoc in our high school. Ang tanong ay kung kailan.

"But," Loki came to a halt and faced the web of conspiracy, "there's one possibility that I've been mulling over. Something that bothers me."

"And that is . . . ?"

"What if Stein is not the real Moriarty? What if he's only a proxy sent by the real one to play mind games with us?"

That would be an insane twist, but . . . "Hindi pa ba enough proof ang mga sinabi niya sa atin sa café. Only Moriarty knows the details of how she . . . you know."

"Just a random thought." His hand made a dismissive wave. "For now, we'll consider Stein Alberts as Moriarty until an evidence suggesting otherwise surfaces."

Pumunta siya sa kusina at nagbuhos ng mainit na tubig sa mug. It was seven in the morning and it was strange to see him awake this early, lalo na ngayong weekend. Since his suspension, late na rin siyang nagigising maliban noong isang araw.

"You're probably wondering why I'm already up," he said while adding creamer in his coffee. Here he went again with his mind reading thingy. But why should I be surprised anymore? "Didn't I tell you a few days ago we're going on a date?"

"But that's a joke, right?" I replied. "And if ever you're going to date someone, you'll probably go with someone else—like Jamie, not me—"

Those words escaped my lips without giving them much thought. He was stirring his morning drink when he paused to give me a side-eye look. Iniwasan kong magkaroon kami ng eye contact kaya umupo na lang ako sa couch.

His shadow emerged from behind me. "As I've mentioned to you before, an acquaintance of mine needs our help. A curious case, you may call it. Have you read any of the seven Harry Potter books or watched any of the eight movies?"

"My ex-high school classmates are fans of the franchise. They proudly call themselves Potterheads."

"Why Potterheads? Do they have clay instead of brain in their skulls?"

There were times na napaiisip ako kung nagbibiro ba siya o talagang hindi siya gano'n ka-aware sa mga bagay-bagay, lalo na sa pop culture. Whether he was joking or not, I let it slide. Arguing with him would lead us nowhere.

"Is that why you're reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?" I asked instead, ignoring his question. "Ang akala ko'y naging interested ka na sa magic."

He showed me the Harry Potter book before tossing it behind him. Kung may Potterheads kaming kasama sa room, siguradong kinuyog na siya at hindi na pinalabas nang buhay. "Never fond of anything that defies logic. However, I had to read that book to fully grasp some elements of this interesting case."

"Tell me more about it."

"Are you familiar with chain messages? Those stupid messages that say you'll be hit with bad luck if you don't forward them to many people?"

"Uso 'yan sa amin sa dati kong school. Paano naging connected si Harry Potter diyan?"

"In my acquaintance's school, there's a group dedicated to the fans of the young wizard." Loki began waving the spoon up in the air as if it was a wand and he was casting a spell. "Recently, two members of that club were found dead after receiving a mysterious text message."

"What message?"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" he cast, pointing his spoon at me. Nagkatitigan kaming dalawa habang nakaturo pa rin sa akin ang kutsara niya. Puwedeng isingit ang sound effect ng mga kuliglig para iparamdam kung gaano ka-awkward 'yon.

"At para saan ang Abra Kadabra?" I did not catch kung ano ang pronunciation ng spell na binanggit niya.

He stirred his coffee using the spoon, blowing the steam off his mug. "According to the Goblet of Fire, Avada Kedavra is one of the Unforgivable Curses that will give you a one-way ticket to Azkaban a.k.a. the wizard prison. It causes instantaneous, painless death to the target."

"Bale naka-receive ng Abra Kadabra or whatever message ang dalawang club members nila 'tapos bigla silang bumulagta sa daan?"

He drank his coffee bottoms up, then stood up. "That's the initial narrative told by my acquaintance. We need to find out more details later. You have nothing on your schedule today so you're free to tag along, correct?"

"Yeah, my Saturday is free." I watched him stand and walk to the kitchen. "Is Jamie coming with us? How about Al?"

"This is a personal request so I'd rather not involve the club here. But you can contact Alistair and see if he's available. You've witnessed his deduction skills. I wanna see it for myself again."

"Okay, let me call him."

"Ask him if he can bring his car. If not, I'm gonna call Mr. Valdez to fetch us here."

Mr. Vasquez (not Valdez, Loki!), if memory served right, was the Mendez family chauffeur who drove us to the mall where Loki and Alistair first met almost a month ago. 'Yon ang araw na humingi ako ng favor kay Loki na magpanggap bilang boyfriend ko.

Kumuha ng tuwalya ang roommate ko sa kuwarto niya bago dumeretso sa bathroom. Kinuha ko naman ang phone ko at idinial ang number ng aking kababata. Kahit weekend ngayon, malamang gising na siya sa ganitong oras.

"Hello, Al? Good morning!"

"Good morning, Lori! Kumusta? Mabuti't napatawag ka?"

"Loki wants to know kung gusto mong sumama sa pupuntahan naming school ngayon. May nag-request kasi ng assistance niya sa isang case. We're about to investigate it."

"I would love to! Kaso on the way kasi ako ngayon pabalik ng Manila."

"Ah, gano'n ba? Sige, pasensiya na sa abala—"

"But I can give you my insights about the case if ever they are needed. Just text me the details or call me later. I don't want to disappoint our club president."

"May gagawin ka, 'di ba? Hindi ba makaaabala sa 'yo?"

"Truth be told, I'd rather go with you and investigate that case than deal with this unfinished business."

"Sige, I will let him know that you will be in touch. Ingat ka sa biyahe!"

"Ingat din kayo!"

Ibinaba ko na ang tawag. Nagtungo na rin ako sa aking kuwarto para mag-prepare. I was expecting my Saturday to be a boring one, but the case we were about to take might make things more interesting.

By nine o'clock, a familiar blue sedan fetched us from Tita Martha's apartment. Para sa trip namin ngayong araw, nakasuot siya ng V-neck shirt habang ako nama'y nakasuot ng blouse. We sat in the backseat. Mr. Vasquez drove us through the busy roads of Angeles City. Dahil sa ginagawang road widening project sa dinaanan namin, na-stuck kami nang ilang minuto sa traffic at halos walang galawan ang mga kotse.

Loki was playing a crime investigation game app while I was watching him finish a couple of levels with ease. I told him that Alistair would not be coming with us. Hindi naman siya nadismaya sa ibinalita ko.

"How about Jamie?" tanong ko. "Hindi mo ba siya in-invite na samahan tayo? I'm sure na game na game siya."

"She has something important to do today," sagot ni Loki nang hindi tumitingin sa akin. Tutok na tutok siya sa kaniyang nilalaro. "Why? Do you want her to come with us?"

"She's a member of our club, so if she wants to join the investigation, she's free to do so." To be honest, no. Siguradong makikipagplastikan siya sa akin at didikit siya na parang linta kay Loki hanggang sa matapos ang imbestigasyon. Also, we might not need her retentive memory in solving the case.

"The other day, you were surprised to hear that she slept in my room and in my own bed," Loki said. "Did it bother you?"

"Why would it bother me personally?" I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. "Ang sa akin lang, hindi appropriate na magkasamang natulog ang lalaki't babae sa iisang kama. Kahit walang malisya, sure akong gagawan 'yon ng tsismis kapag may ibang nakaalam."

"You've got nothing to worry about. I did nothing to Jamie, nor did she do anything to me. I built a wall of pillows between us when we slept together."

How reassuring. But whatever they did that night was none of my concern.

Nang malagpasan na ng sinasakyan namin ang kalsadang sinira at inaayos ulit, bumilis na ang aming biyahe. It took us ten minutes to arrive at the parking lot of Chivalry Academy, one of the schools considered by my dad when when he was choosing where to transfer me here in Pampanga.

"I'll call you when we need the ride home," sabi ni Loki nang nakalabas na kaming dalawa ng kotse. "Thank you, Mr. Velasquez."

"Vasquez, sir," the driver corrected, him but his words fell on deaf ears.

I followed Loki as he marched toward the main gate of the academy. Nakabibinging katahimikan ang sumalabong sa amin. Today was a Saturday, so most students must be at home, binge-watching their favorite TV series or still sleeping in their cozy beds. Aside from silence, their five-story school buildings greeted us with their calming colors.

"Our client today is one of my Irregulars." Loki hastened his steps to the guard house. "If Sherlock Holmes has his Baker Street Irregulars, I also have my own version. I consult them whenever something baffles me or whenever I need assistance."

"Teka! You said that I'm indebted to him," I recalled. "In what way exactly?"

"My acquaintance is a tech genius and a brilliant inventor. He could have made a fortune out of his inventions, but he chose not to. Remember the stun pen you have? He created it. So in a way, you owe him."

"Talaga?" Medyo na-excite akong makilala ang henyong lumikha sa stun pen.

Nang papasok na kami sa campus, biglang humarang ang security guard sa masikip na entrance, nakalabas ang batuta niya at marahang pinapalo sa palad. "Anong business n'yo rito, ma'am and sir? Sarado ang mga office ngayong Sabado."

"Let them in, Kuya Guard! They're with me!"

A guy wearing a lab coat emerged from a couple of meters away and ran in our direction. If Loki had an unkempt hair, this bespectacled guy's hairdo was an absolute mess. Dumudulas din sa ilong niya ang kaniyang salamin na may itim na frame. Parang nakita ko in person si Albert Einstein noong bata pa siya. One might even think na walang salamin sa bahay niya kaya hindi siya nakapagsusuklay nang maayos.

His conversation with the guard took a minute or two before the latter let us in. Sinalubong niya kami sa entrance, nakangiti kay Loki at kumaway sa akin.

"You must be Lorelei, member of Loki's club!" He held out his right hand to me. "I'm Herschel Aguirre, a Grade 12 student and president of the Einsteinian Club. Some call me Hershey. You may call me the same, but I will have to electrocute you. Just kidding!"

Ipinakita niya sa akin ang flash drive na tinanggalan ng takip. Masyadong maliwanag sa labas pero may nakita akong sparks sa metal head n'on. It could probably produce a jolt of electricity capable of shocking a person.

"I shall call you by your real name." I smiled awkwardly as I shook hands with him. "It's a pleasure to finally meet the one who created the stun pen."

"I hope you're not using it for pranks." Herschel gestured to the first school building to our right. "Shall we?"

He led the way while Loki and I followed behind him. Inilibot ko ang aking tingin sa campus niya. Halos magkakatabi ang mga school building dito—at may connecting bridges pa!—compared sa Clark High na may distansiya ang bawat gusali.

"You seem to have power over people here, Hershey," Loki hissed like a snake, looking back at the campus entrance. "The guard didn't request for any identification and ask questions about why we're here. That's the standard procedure, isn't it?"

"They owe me. A lot." Herschel pointed at the CCTV camera installed on a lamp post. "I upgraded their faulty security system—free of charge, of course! That thing has been upgraded to include an X-ray function capable of detecting suspicious objects such as sharp weapons, firearms, and explosive devices. Last year, we foiled an attempted bomb attack, all thanks to me."

He stuffed hands back in his lab coat's pockets as we continued the march to our destination. I found it hard to believe that such individuals existed outside science fiction stories. Yet here I was, walking with the living proof that they did exist.

We entered the school building and reached the fifth floor via elevator. Mas modern ang itsura ng mga gusali nila compared sa Clark High. We walked down the white hallway, past the locked classrooms, and halted in front of Room 505.

The young inventor turned the knob and swung the door open. Bumungad sa amin ang makapal na itim na usok at amoy ng sunog na pagkain. We all covered our noses as we drove the black smoke away with our bare hands.

"Sorry! Sorry!" said a female voice inside. I saw a woman's figure in the smokes, swiftly moving across the room and opening the windows.

It took a few minutes before the smoke dispersed. Still, burnt smell lingered in the room.

"LEONA! WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU DOING?" Herschel yelled, storming inside the room that resembled a laboratory. Everything was white in here. A number of devices were laid across the lab workbenches. They were probably in the brink of new breakthroughs.

"Sorry, Hershey! Nakalimutan kong hindi pala compatible ang voltage ng oven natin sa outlet," a girl in high ponytail said in defense. Like her club president, she was wearing a white lab coat that fit on her slim figure. "Magpapainit sana ako ng binili kong pizza."

"That's not an ordinary oven! Nakalimutan mo na bang isa 'yang clothes dryer!" He turned around and grinned at us, his mood changing in an instant. "Meet my assistant, Leona Divino. She's my version of Lorelei. She helped me develop the stun pen."

Pinunasan muna ng lab assistant niya ang mga kamay nito gamit ang puting coat bago nakipagkamay sa amin ni Loki. "What a great pleasure to meet you two! Naikuwento sa 'kin ni Hershey na you can solve and close any case with little effort!"

Nagpakilala kami sa kaniya at nakipagkamay.

"Leona's the one who brought the Avada Kedavra case to my attention," sabi ni Herschel sabay upo sa isang workbench. "She's a member of the Harry Potter Club called . . . what's the name again?"

"Order of the Phoenix."

Loki looked away, his hand covering his mouth, as he tried to suppress his laughter. He must be thinking that the name was so lame, it would put all of its members to shame. I gave him a nudge after Leona shot a curious gaze at him.

"Dalawang member ng Order ang natagpuang wala nang buhay sa hallway." Leona turned on the desktop computer and sat on the swivel chair. "To be specific, two of the club founders were the poor victims."

Nilapitan namin siya ni Loki para tingnan kung ano ang balak niyang ipakita sa amin. She clicked some folders and double-clicked a video file. We waited until a new window popped up—a security footage in one of the school buildings. A guy dressed in black robe with a red-and-yellow striped scarf wrapped around his neck was walking down the hallway. Closed classrooms could be seen on the left while pillars were on the right.

"This happened right after the Order's general assembly," Leona recounted, "around six in the evening."

When the guy was at the center of the frame, he came to a halt and pulled out a phone from his pocket. He stared at it for a few beats, then looked behind to see if someone was following him. Nang wala siyang napansing nakabuntot sa kaniya, he resumed pacing.

"Now, this is the most baffling part."

The guy stood frozen for a second then collapsed on the floor. No one—not even a shadow—could be seen in the footage. Leona sped up the video until students began gathering around the lifeless body.

"Intriguing." Loki smirked, his eyes sparkling with curiosity. Mukhang nakuha na ng case na ito ang buong atensiyon niya.

Leona played another video and clicked the fullscreen option. Compared sa unang pinanood niya sa amin, may iilang estudyanteng naglalakad sa hallway. Ang ila'y nakatambay habang ang iba'y naglalakad.

"I was there when it happened." Sumulyap sa amin si Leona. "Katatapos lang noon ng meeting namin para sa club acquaintance party na gaganapin mamayang hapon."

Nakasuot din ng kulay itim na robe ang isang lalaki. Nakabalabal sa leeg niya ang scarf na may green at white na stripes. Ilang hakbang ang layo ni Leona at ng iba pang member ng kanilang club na may kaparehong outfit.

"Watch closely." Leona pointed at the guy in front of them who was checking his phone.

The footage was not that clear, but he showed a confused face. Bigla siyang napahawak sa batok pataas sa ulo niya. Everything seemed fine hanggang sa bumulagta siya sa hallway. Mabilis na lumapit sa kaniya ang mga lalaking kasama ni Leona at sinubukan siyang i-revive, pero hindi na gumalaw pa ang nawalan ng malay. Binuhat siya sa kabilang direksiyon hanggang sa hindi na makita sa frame.

"Fascinating," Loki whispered. He must be extremely delighted with the case. Matagal-tagal na rin siyang hindi nakapagso-solve ng mabigat na kaso mula nang ma-suspend siya.

"Some members of the Order think that the message containing the Avada Kedavra curse caused the deaths of the two founders." Leona swiveled her chair to us as she crossed her arms over her chest. "But that's ridiculous, right? There's no way a message can kill."

Loki rubbed his palms and walked around the room. "There's no such thing as magic. It only exists in a fantasy world where aspiring wizards go to a historic castle to receive education. An ingenious trick is involved in your founders' deaths."

"So what do you think?" Herschel stood beside his assistant and gave us a curious look. "Is this case worth your trip here in Chivalry?"

My companion darted a sideward glance at me, and I gave him a firm nod.

"Lorelei and I would be glad to take on this case."

q.e.d.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 11K 35
QED CLUB: the go-to place of students and teachers in Clark High whenever they have mind-boggling mysteries they want solved. For months, club presid...
176K 14.2K 20
A BATTLE OF BRAINS. A MATCH OF WITS. A CLASH OF DEDUCTIONS. The Detective Triumvirate Plus One crosses paths with the QED Club in the highly anticipa...
8.5K 102 41
Your online guide to learning Bisaya, quick and easy! Have you ever heard someone speaking Cebuano/Bisaya? Are you curious about what they're talking...
691K 47.2K 44
Crime and murder podcaster Wren Lozarte is desperate to earn money for her ailing uncle so she accepts a strange but high-paying offer from a mysteri...