Draco's Panther

By ShamelessDrarry

Full credit goes to the creater. Go to her account, she has amazing works on Fanfiction.net. https://m.fanfi... More

1-11
12-21
Epilogue
Hello!

22-30

9.5K 161 142
By ShamelessDrarry

Chapter 22 – The Panther Who Walked Among Lions

Lucius Malfoy sat in the brightly lit dining room at Malfoy Manor. The eggs sitting on his plate had grown cold long ago, the minutes ticking by as he stared in bemusement at the Daily Prophet laying beside his plate. The delicate teacup held between his fingers was slowly raised as he gently sipped at the remaining liquid resting in the bottom.

Cold eyes rested upon the picture in the center of the front page. Whoever had taken it had done an excellent job. The young wizard looked arrogant and completely composed, eyes locked on the photographers as if he could care less that his picture was being taken.

The massive animal standing next to him looked strangely passive as he leaned into the young boy's hand. Curling his lips and flattening his ears as his eyes remained pinned on the camera. The panthers snarling visage was a silent taunt in Lucius eyes. His son no longer belonged to him but rather to the boy-who-lived. The tea cup smashed against the far wall, small chips of porcelain raining down to tinkle gently against the hardwood floor as the mark on his arm began to burn.

Harry sat cross-legged in the center of Draco's bed, fingers playing idly with the braided ribbon that had bound the note. He chewed on his bottom lip thoughtfully, playing certain parts of the note over and over again in his head. Sighing deeply he ran his hands down over his face, eyes once again returning to the piece of parchment calling him from where it lay.

"Well?" Harry turned at the question, peering at Draco who leaned elegantly in the doorway, blue eyes silently repeating the question.

"I just don't know anymore. Yesterday, she acted like the Hermione everybody knows and loves, but that day in Diagon Alley..." Harry murmured, eyes once again returning to the note that Hermione had given him. Addressed to both him and Draco, the note was a very simple apology. Generally Hermione would go on and on, but she had been so straight forward it really made him wonder.

"Perhaps you should go and talk to her." Draco whispered, approaching Harry and wrapping his arms around him. His chin rested on the top of Harry's head, eyes lingering on the piece of parchment that was causing his bonded so much frustration.

"I know I should. I owe her an apology and an explanation for my actions over the past few days but I don't know how to approach her. I mean look what I did to Ron; do you honestly think they'll just let me wander right in to the Gryffindor dorms?" Harry whispered, eyes closing tightly as he leaned back against Draco, taking comfort in the blondes arms.

"Where'd your famed Gryffindor bravery go, hm?" Draco murmured softly, fingers tangling in the ribbon Harry was running between his fingers absently.
"I though you said I was a Slytherin." Harry joked, tugging playfully on the tri-coloured ribbon.

"You're as much Slytherin as I am, you just happen to have a few Gryffindor qualities. Besides it's not like being brave is a bad thing. I'm brave, when I need to be." Draco grinned, pulling the ribbon away from him carefully and smoothing it out.

"You, brave? That's hilarious Draco; what else do you have?" Harry snorted, watching the pale fingers gently wrap the ribbon around his wrist.
"I took on a panther didn't I? Now go and talk to her." Draco said, tying the ends of the ribbon together. "Besides, if anything goes wrong, I'll be right here." He said, fingers taping Harry's temple. Harry nodded and looked at the piece of parchment lying forgotten on the bed, his fingers returned to stroking the ribbon he now wore as a bracelet.

"I'll go now." He muttered, raising his hand and sliding his fingers through the pale locks on his bonded's head.
"Right, and if you need help just give us a shout. I'll be there in a flash with an army of snakes." Patting Harry's head in a gesture of finality, Draco freed his hair and glided from the room. Harry stuck his tongue out in the direction of the door, damn Draco for making it sound so simple.

Ron lay perfectly still in the hospital wing. His leg was screaming in pain but Madam Pomfrey had given him the only medication she could based on the guidelines of the duel. He clenched his teeth together and thought of every way he could kill Harry when he finally got out of bed and his leg was freed from the cast.

Reaching over he grabbed the book resting on the small table next to the bed, grimacing as he read the title 'Large Cats and their Habits'. The smiling face of a panther splashed across the cover, fangs flashing mockingly. Ron shrieked and hurled the book across the room, wincing when it hit a tray of medical tools and sent something glass to the floor. The sound of shattering caused the old witch to appear, mouth already open to deliver a speech. Ron whimpered and drew the pillow over his face, why was his life going so wrong?

Lucius Malfoy knelt before the Dark Lord, head bowed respectfully as he awaited the powerful wizards command. The minutes ticked by slowly, each second causing his mouth to dry even further. He knew what was coming though; at this point in time it was inevitable.

"Well Lucius, it seems we have finally gotten our chance to get rid of that terrible little brat." The cold voice whispered softly, causing goose bumps to creep up Lucius's arms. He bowed his head in agreement, biting his lip as he concentrated on the interlocking stones resting under his pale hands.

"You will of course assist me in getting what I want. There will be no failure this time Lucius, am I understood?"
"Yes my Lord, but my son-" Lucius began, stumbling over his tongue as he questioned the only man who had ever brought him to his knees.
"Yes, your son. I think he'll make the most wonderful bait. You don't have a problem with that, do you Lucius?" Voldemort asked, face hidden in the deep cowls of his hood, the shadows themselves seeming to wrap around him.

"No my Lord." Lucius whispered, closing his eyes tightly. Biting his lip, he focused on containing the words that were swirling about his head. Draco was the only heir he had, with his death the Malfoy name would vanish from the wizarding world.

"That's what I thought." The chuckle that followed the statement was spine tingling, causing the deatheater to press his forehead against the stone, allowing the cold touch to wash away all thoughts and feelings.

-

Harry strolled slowly towards Gryffindor Tower. His eyes watched the students ahead of him, clutching their books to their chests and tossing terrified looks over their shoulders, they rushed ahead of him, thankful when he turned down a different corridor. Shaking his head and smiling, he paused at the bottom of a staircase, ignoring the whispers of the paintings lining the walls.

His hand rested on the railing, fingers caressing as he thought back to all the times he had raced Ron up these stairs, slid down the banister on a dare, stumbled and laughed with old friends. Straightening his back, he tightened his grip and began the steady climb to the top, eyes already resting on the frame of the Fat Lady.

His mind reached out to Draco's, wanting the comfort of knowing that the other was there if needed. He smiled when he felt laughter creep along the bond and tighten itself around his magic, a silent promise of comfort and strength should he have need of it. Reaching the top of the stairs, he took a deep breath before slowly raising a hand and knocking lightly.

-

Severus Snape sat across from the Head Master. The old man was loudly sipping tea from the cup he was clutching between his fingers. Severus ran his fingers down the neat row of buttons lining the front of his robes, curling a lip in disgust at the brilliant shade of red the older wizard was decked out in.

"Now Severus, we really must figure out what we are going to do with young Harry. The boy was sorted into Gryffindor yet he has been staying in the Slytherin dorms for the past week. It's completely unacceptable." Dumbledore rumbled, fingers burying themselves in a small dish of yellow candies perched upon the desk.

"Well Professor-"
"Call me Albus, Severus." The older man chortled, holding the dish of yellow candies out in a silent offering.
"No thank you Albus." Severus grumbled, less then impressed with the offering and the man making it. "I believe that we should leave Mister Potter where he is. After all, you must admit the number of detentions being handed out the past week has gone down. His presence in the Slytherin house can do nothing but assist in those inter house relations you're always talking about."

"I suppose, I'm just worried that something could happen that would endanger the boy. You must acknowledge the fact that your house doesn't always play the nicest Severus." Albus announced, carefully pouring more tea into the cup. The portraits on the wall behind him nodded in agreement. The large painting of Salazar Slytherin smiled in satisfaction at the statement, nodding proudly.

"He's been living with Draco for a large part of the summer, Albus. I highly doubt Draco's going to feel the sudden need to injure him. Besides how's he supposed to defeat the dark lord if he can't handle a bunch of ignorant children?" Severus questioned, trying to get the older wizard to see his way.

"There's also the fact that the bond between them could be injured or damaged if they were to be separated. Bound as they are, both are stronger. Harry has more power now then he did before, to separate them could take away the only chance he has at beating Voldemort." Snape muttered, trying to coerce the older man into seeing his way. Eyes narrowing as the old man returned his hand to the dish of lemon candies.

"I suppose so, Severus. Well then that's settled, Harry shall remain in Slytherin house." Albus nodded and smiled as if it had been his idea all along. Fingers slowly swirling around the candy dish absently, the older wizard's eyes glazed over as he stared at the book shelf. Shaking his head, Severus rose and left, escaping the presence of the older wizard as fast as he could while keeping up his appearance as dreaded potions master.

Standing impatiently outside the Gryffindor entrance, Harry curled his fingers and glanced down at his shoes. He ignored the prattle of the Fat Lady, more interested in trying to figure out what exactly he was going to say when the painting swung open. The slow creak had him taking a deep breath and raising his gaze to meet that of the Gryffindor leaning cautiously out the entrance.

Draco sat next to the blazing fire in the common room, a cup of hot chocolate resting on his knee. He gaze may have been focused on the chess board resting between Blaise and him but internally he was focused on Harry. Which was the excuse he was going to use when Blaise finally figured out he was winning. Holding his place within the dark haired boys mind was tiring and took a lot of concentration but worth the effort. If Harry needed him he would be able to go to him immediately.

"Checkmate!" Blaise shrieked, causing Draco to jump and slop the warm liquid all over his thighs. Hissing at the burning sensation, he glared at Blaise who was now doing a happy dance around the common room; waving his arms and hooting in such a way that he appeared every bit the demented owl. Sitting back, Draco grinned and continued to watch Blaise prance about with several first years; this was what it was to be a Slytherin.

Harry looked into the curious eyes of Dean, before he was pushed into the arms of the waiting Gryffindor by an unknown force. Harry hit the plush red carpet before he was quickly hauled to his feet and embraced by two bodies.

"Oh Harry!" Seamus bellowed directly into his ear. "We've missed you."
"With you guarding the Slytherins Harry, we've had no one to tease that would actually fight back! It's been utterly terrible!" Dean mock whimpered, tugging on the lapels of Harry's robes before throwing himself onto the other wizard.
"We've stooped so low as to pick on the Hufflepuffs." Seamus cried, pretending to burst into tears and clinging to Harry playfully.

"The Hufflepuffs Harry!" Dean wailed, before bursting into guffaws and leaning backwards to look Harry up and down. Seamus was snorting happily as he let go of Harry and tottered over to one of the couches before collapsing with a contented sigh. Harry remained standing there, eyebrows raised as he stared at the pair silently.

"The Slytherins are still out of bounds." He grinned and ignored the groans from the pair, "I give you leave to do whatever you want to Pansy though." He chuckled as both of the Gryffindors brightened immediately. Harry watched slightly confused as Dean pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket.
"What's that for?" He asked, eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

"That is their to do list. Goals and pranks they want to pull before they leave Hogwarts. I personally disagree with their concept of leaving with a bang and making a lasting impression on the younger students." The quiet voice had heads turning. Hermione stood silently at the bottom of the stairs into the dorms.

"Hi Hermione." Harry muttered, running a hand through his hair nervously. "I was wondering if I could talk to you." He didn't look at her; afraid she would say no and turn him away. His mind reached out but found Draco's waiting, immediately offering all the comfort and warmth possible.

Hermione stared at Harry, trying not to smile at the guilty look on his face. It was the same smile he had worn when he and Ron had done something they shouldn't have and were worried they would get caught.

"Sure Harry, this way please." She murmured, gesturing for him to follow her. She silently trekked up the stairs into the boys dorms, knowing they could talk quietly there without having to worry about anyone eavesdropping. Hermione climbed on to one of the beds, pulling the thick red velvet over her lap to keep her toes warm.

She watched as Harry paced slowly before her, fingers seeming to go automatically to the silver bell dangling from the collar he wore.
"I guess I wanted to apologize for the day in Diagon Alley. I overheard you and Ron talked and lost it. It hurt for Ron to say what he did and for you not to defend me. Then just when I was starting to feel happy again you came into the Slytherin common room and blew my cover." Harry murmured, fingers tightening on the bell he clutched between his fingers as if it was a life line.

"I'm sorry too, Harry. I did notice the way you and Draco were acting and wondered if he knew who you were. I thought that you were enslaved to him and couldn't get free. It never came to my attention that you might actually care for him. I must admit you do have him wrapped around your finger, I've never seem him lose his temper before." Hermione murmured, smiling at the memory of Draco threatening her and Terry in the empty classroom. Harry just grinned and gave her a playful wink.

"So we're good?" Harry whispered, offering one hand slowly. Hermione nodded and grinned, looking down at the ribbon tied around his wrist.
"We're good." Pulling him in for a quick hug, she pushed him away gently but held him at arms length before giving him a slight shove towards the door. "Draco's probably wondering where you are." She mumbled, wiping at her eyes before waving a hand at him as he walked towards the door.

Hermione allowed herself to sink back on the bed, staring up at the canopy above her head. She chuckled slightly as she heard the yelps and laughter as Harry passed back through the common room. Everything was settled for now, but she knew there would be many more disputes before the war between the snakes and the lions was over.

Chapter 23 – Don't Cry Over Spilt Tea

Severus Snape sat in front of the small table in his personal kitchen. Steam wafting off the warm cup of cinnamon tea resting before him. His gaze was focused on the paper sitting on the table, eyes carefully taking in each word as his mind struggled to find the solution to his newest problem. It was only seven forty three; he still had an hour until he had to appear at the Great Hall for breakfast.

The sudden bellowing of his name had him turning to look in the direction of his sitting room. His eyes closed as the bellow was repeated, rising and picking up his cup he headed towards the door, knowing what awaited him. His gaze fell upon the figure clothed entirely in black, pale hair catching the firelight as cold eyes shifted to look at him.

"Good morning Lucius." Severus murmured, moving across the room to sit down in the chair next to the blazing fire.
"It is not a good morning, have you seen the Daily Prophet? My son was bound to the boy-who-lived. Do you know what this means Severus? Do you know what this means?" Lucius Malfoy roared, cane thumping against the floor with every word.

"Its not the end of the world Lucius." Severus said, sipping carefully at the warm tea.
"Not the end of the world! Do you have any idea what the Dark Lord wants me to do! My son became bait as soon as he found out that they had been bonded! We all know that the Potter boy is going to die. When he does he'll be taking my son with him. So I'll give you two options Severus; find a way to break the bond or I'll tell my Lord exactly what you've been doing." Lucius hissed, moving forward in a threatening manner.

Severus sat back in his chair, black eyes widening as he sucked in a deep breath. The tea sloshed over the brim of the cup, splattering against the floor and the fabric of the chair he was sitting in.
"The bond can't be broke Lucius, the familiar bond lasts forever. Besides their magic essences have already begun to merge, there's nothing we can do now." He murmured, frowning as he dabbed futilely at the spilt tea.

"I don't care, I suggest you figure something out." Lucius snarled, placing his hands on the chair arms and pushing his face closer to Severus. "And I suggest you do it soon." Swirling around he stormed into the shadows and vanished, leaving a stunned Severus sitting quietly in the shadowed room. Severus swallowed and let his head drop back against the chair wondering where Lucius had disappeared too and what he was going to do.

-

Harry swung blindly at the individual who was poking him in the back persistently. Groaning, he pulled his face from the pillow and rolled over, glaring at Draco who was looming over him.

"What?" He muttered, peering up at him, eyes taking in the black trousers and navy sweater the blonde was wearing. Running a hand over his eyes, he grabbed the hem of Draco's sweater and tugged gently, pulling him down to sit on the bed.

"We've got class in an hour, if you want breakfast you've got to get up now." Draco murmured, fingers carding through the soft black hair.
"I don't have class. I never handed in my class choices so I wasn't included on the program lists." Harry grumbled, cuddling into Draco's form and relaxing beneath the caressing fingers.

"Guess again. Severus brought your schedule by last night." Draco murmured, smiling as Harry whimpered and pulled the pillow over his face. "He also said Dumbledores agreed to let you remain in Slytherin house, not to mention your class schedule is exactly the same as mine. Now get up." Draco stated, pulling the pillow from Harry's hands and whacking him with it before leaving the room.

Harry whimpered again, slowly rolling out of bed and padding towards the bathroom, grimacing at the cold bite of stone on his bare feet. It may have been early but he wasn't prepared to let Draco go anywhere without him. His fingers twisted the taps, adjusting the water so it was the perfect temperature.

He winced as he stepped under the water, feeling the soft sting of the drops. His mind began to race as he thought of everything that had happened yesterday. The Gyffindors were fine with him being bound to Draco, but he didn't think the rest of the world would be so lenient. Sighing he climbed out of the shower and began to prepare for his first official day back.

Draco was perched upon the bench before the Slytherin table, his eyes taking in the growing heap of letters piling up between his and Harry's plate. The Great Hall had been flooded with owls since the pair arrived, it seemed that almost as soon as the doors had swung open some alarm had gone off informing everyone they were about to sit down for breakfast.

Draco placed a calming hand on Harry's knee as his bonded tore yet another letter open, eyes scanning the words sprawled across the page.
"I don't know why you insist on opening them, you know they aren't going to be any good." Draco whispered, fingers rubbing gently as he watched Harry tear in to another piece of folded parchment.
"I have to know." Harry whispered, fingers fumbling at the seal of a particularly thick looking letter.

"Know what? That everyone thinks you're a traitor and I'm a deatheater in training." Draco hissed, pulling the letter from the trembling fingers and tossing it onto the table. He pushed the pile of letters to the opposite side of the table, waving a fine boned hand at an owl that was hovering above the table.

Ignoring the protests from Harry, he began to pile food onto his plate and set it in front of Harry, placing a fork between the cold fingers. "Eat something so we can get out of here."
"Draco, it' s important to know what everyone is thinking. That way we're prepared for any possible situations that may arise." Harry said, carelessly plowing his fork through the scrambled eggs cooling on his plate. Draco sighed and pulled the fork from Harry's fingers, scooping up some of the eggs and holding them before his mouth. His eyes narrowed when Harry refused to open his mouth and accept the offering.

"We aren't leaving and you aren't opening any more letters until you eat something!" Draco snarled, slamming an open palm against the top of the table. The Great Hall fell silent as students and staff turned to look at the arguing pair.

The slight clink of metal on porcelain had people's gazes searching for the offender, turning away from Draco and Harry. "I promise you we'll open every letter this evening, but not now. Not now Harry." Draco whispered, fingers rising to run along the edge of Harry's cheek. Warm blue eyes met sorrowful emeralds. Harry nodded and pressed his face into Draco's hand, raising a finger and resting it on Draco's cheek.

"Fine, sorry." Harry whispered, taking the fork from Draco's hand and placing the eggs in his mouth. Draco closed his eyes and smiled slightly, reopening them to watch as Harry diligently cleaned his plate. Picking up a fork he began to fix a plate for himself, knowing that he would need all his strength to get through the day.

Ginny Weasley trotted down the hall towards the hospital wing, books clutched to her chest as she peered anxiously over her shoulder. Slowing down she smiled and said hello to Madame Pomfrey, giving a slight wave before hurrying towards the reclining form of Ron.

"Where the hell have you been?" Ron hissed, tearing the quidditch magazines from Ginny's hands.
"I had class Ron, remember, its Monday." She returned, jerking back and glaring at him, arms crossed over her chest and tapping one booted foot loudly.

"So you couldn't drop them off before you went to breakfast?" Ron snarled, cringing when the mediwitch shushed him. Ginny rolled her eyes and began to slowly walk around the room, fingers picking up a copper stirring rod and spinning it between her fingers.

"Harry came to Gryffindor Tower last night." Ginny murmured, setting the long piece of copper down.
"What?" Ron shrieked, hands sinking into his red hair and pulling lightly, blue eyes following the form of his sister.
"He came to speak with Hermione but everyone else was just as happy to see him. Seamus and Dean acted liked they used too." Ginny smiled as her mind replayed the pair's dramatic performance. "Harry spoke with her in the boys dorms so none of us know what they spoke about. Both came down smiling though, so whatever it was it was apparently good."

"That traitor! First he goes and lives with the bloody snakes, not to mention the fact that he beat me up! Then they all go and welcome him with open arms! Damn Gryffindor spirit!" Ron roared, fists pounding the bed next to him.

"Well Ron...you may have deserved it." Ginny murmured softly.
"Deserve it? What did I do to deserve it?" Ron growled.
"You hurt Malfoy. If you haven't noticed Harry loves him not to mention the fact that they are bound together." Ginny stated, moving to stand at the end of Ron's bed, fingers grasping the brass footboard. "I've got class now so I have to leave but I'll visit later. Oh, Hermione said she was going to bring your homework by." Giving him a little wave, she fled the room before Ron could get past the whole Harry loving Draco thing.

Harry was staring out the window of the Ancient Runes classroom. He was doodling idly with his quill, ignoring the professor lecturing at the front of the class. Turning slightly he looked at Blaise who was sitting in front of him.

Blaise was slumped over in his chair; textbook standing up right to hide the fact his face was buried in his arms. Draco on the other hand was scribbling madly, emerald ink flowing smoothly across the page. Harry rolled his eyes and turned back to gazing out the window. His eyes narrowed as a movement caught his attention.

The form of an owl nearing the tower they were currently sitting in had him burying his elbow in Draco's side. Harry ignored the glare Draco shot at him, nodding at the approaching owl. Both of them watched the owl draw closer, wings flapping hard. The massive Eagle Owl came through the window, halting the professor's lecture and startling the students.

The bird landed casually on the desk in front of Draco, extending its leg so the red envelope could be removed. The whole class held their breath as the envelope unfurled and rose to hover above the desk, floating innocently before the pair.

"DRACO LUCIUS MALFOY! I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING BUT I SUGGEST YOU CEASE ALL CONTACT WITH THAT POTTER BOY. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO ASHAMED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I HOPE YOU DO AS I'VE ASKED BEFORE COMING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS. IF NOT-" The cold voice stopped immediately as a black blur struck it. Claws and fangs worked in tandem to completely obliterate the howler. The students looked at the pale face of Draco, some flinching as the panther snarled and flashed glistening fangs.

"Professor, may I please be excused?" Draco whispered, the words seeming to bounce around the hushed room.
"Yes Mister Malfoy, you are dismissed. Please take Mister Potter with you." The professor murmured, eyes focused on the panther seated atop a pile of shredded parchment. Draco nodded and gathered his books, jamming Harry's quill and unused parchment inside his book bag. He rushed from the room, finger automatically sinking into the thick black fur beneath his fingers.

The pair tore through the halls, students scattering before the frothing panther and the perfectly composed Malfoy. The Slytherin common room was empty as Draco stormed in, tossing his bag against the wall and throwing his bedroom door open. Draco flopped fell onto the bed, burying his face in the soft blankets before allowing his calm façade to fall. The tears rolled down his cheeks as he tried to muffle the sobs he was emitting.

"I hate my father." He whispered, fists gripping the velvet beneath his finger.
"I know." Harry murmured, climbing onto the bed and pulling Draco's heaving form into his arms. Draco pushed his face into the crook of Harry's neck, unabashedly wiping his nose on the sweater Harry was wearing. Draco curled into Harry, absorbing all the warmth and comfort his mate could provide. His thoughts tortured him until he felt darkness pull him under.

-

Severus Snape was sitting quietly in the office that adjoined the potions classroom. His eyebrows drawn together in concentration as he carelessly slathered an F across the paper before him. The slow creak of a door had him turning to look in the direction of the classroom.

His fingers closed around his wand as he rose and moved carefully to peer around the corner, eyes searching for any danger that might be lurking in the shadows. Black eyes paused as the shadows shifted, revealing the form of a panther he had come to know over the past few weeks. The panther glided forward, emerald eyes locked with startled black orbs.

"Its almost curfew Potter. I would also love to know what you are doing in my class. I highly doubt you've just discovered a love for potions so please leave immediately." Severus stated, eyes following the slinking form of the black cat. The panther paused before resuming its forward prowl, causing Severus to take a step back before he remembered the new sense of trust he was supposed to have for Harry.

The panther lunged forward, whiskers quivering as he swung a soft paw at Severus's robes.
"Yes, Lucius Malfoy came to visit me this morning. He wanted to talk about the bond and Draco. He demanded I find a way to break the bond before the Dark Lord kills his son. He also threatened to inform him that I was spying for the Order. There was also some mention of bait." The panther hissed softly, eyes locked with the potions professor.

Severus nodded, as if he agreed with whatever the panther was saying. He watched as the emerald eyes glowed before the massive panther melded with the shadows and vanished.
"Remember curfew Mister Potter!" He snarled, knowing it was most likely a lost cause. Sighing he returned to his desk, reclaiming the quill and dutifully returning to his marking.

-

Damian slid through the shadows, all senses working to guide him carefully through the dark corridors of the school. Stopping to sniff at each door, hoping there was some chance Lucius Malfoy had left something of importance before vanishing. He paused in a shadowed alcove, knowing the moonlight couldn't shimmer along his coat and give away his presence.

His ears picked up the low murmur of voices. Sliding closer, the panther crouched in a corner, emerald eye focused on the figures standing in the center of the abandoned hall. Narrowing his eyes, he watched Dumbledore speak with Remus Lupin.

-

Remus Lupin shook his head and waved his hands around for emphasis. The wizard before him was considered one of the greatest wizards to ever become head master of Hogwarts, but sometimes he was left wondering how bad all the former head masters must have been if Dumbledore was supposed to be the best.

"It's preposterous! I will not have James's son bound to the son of a known deatheater." Remus snarled, balling his hands into fists.
"There's nothing we can do about it. They've been bound together for too long to separate them. Severus has informed me that they are already showing signs of full magic bonding. Basically the familiar bond is growing and changing depending on what the boys are feeling and their needs. If things keep progressing as they have been there's no telling what could happen." Dumbledore claimed, fingers tugging on the front of his bright blue robe.

"They're that far along?" Remus whispered, hands rising to rub his face in distress. "I'm too late. I never thought they would bond completely so fast. When are you planning on telling them?" He murmured, eyes searching the older wizards face.

"I've decided its best not to tell them until we figure out what we're going to do about it." Dumbledore muttered, waving his hand in a gesture to follow. Neither saw the panther slide out of the shadows, tail striking the air as he watched the pair walk down the hall and disappear down a corridor.

Chapter 24 – Silent Truces

Draco woke slowly, one arm stretching across the bed in a reflexive movement, searching out the warm form that should have been curled up next to him. His eyes slid open when his hand encountered nothing but cool sheets. Whispering tempus, he scowled at the bright glowing numbers dancing above his head, two sixteen.

Crawling unhurriedly from the warmth of the blankets, he pulled on a thick terry cloth robe, delighting in the texture and heat it immediately provided. Plodding quietly out of his chambers, he stopped in the doorway to admire the silent figure sitting on the floor before the fire.

"Harry, what exactly are you doing?" Draco murmured, gliding toward the other wizard, wincing at the cold stone beneath his feet. Emerald eyes turned to peer at him. A strong hand was held out unwaveringly to him in silent invitation.

"I'm opening the last of these letters." Harry whispered, pulling Draco into the chair he had been leaning against.
"It's two in the morning Harry." Draco complained, watching as Harry scrunched a piece of parchment into a ball before tossing it into the happily crackling fire.

"I know." Harry grinned sheepishly. Eyes focused on the flames that had swallowed every single letter shortly after it had been read.
"I also recall something about you waiting for me before opening the rest of them." Draco stated, fingers curling into the dark hair and pulling Harry back to lean against his legs. Hands smoothed gently before dropping to the thin shoulders and massaging.

"I remember that too." Harry murmured, eyes closing in ecstasy as he pressed his shoulders harder against the strong fingers. Draco shook his head but moved forward and placed a light kiss on the nape of Harry's neck, smiling slightly when Harry whimpered beneath his lips. Giving the same spot a quick nip, he returned his concentration to easing the tension from his mate's frame.

"Did you learn anything of interest? Besides the fact you're supposedly shacking up with an apprentice to the Dark Lord." Draco muttered dryly.
"Actually I did, apparently if I'm converting people to the good side then I'm equally as capable of killing Voldemort. Other then that, nothing of interest, although I did learn several new words which I'm sure would get me kicked out of class should I feel the need to use them." Harry chuckled, hands reaching to catch Dracos and pull them together across his chest. Draco locked his fingers across Harry's sternum, settling his chin atop the dark hair.

"Well, I suppose that's good." Rising stiffly, he laced his fingers through Harry's, and pulled him back towards the bedroom. "We have class in several hours and I do need my beauty sleep." Draco grumbled, shedding the robe and hurriedly wiggling beneath the thick coverlet. He buried his face in the crook of Harry's neck as the other boy joined him beneath the blankets, closing his eyes and wishing for only sweet dreams.

It was fairly warm out for one of the first days of fall, though the wind had a slight chill; the sun was warm against the black school robes. Draco carefully fixed his Slytherin scarf, stroking the material before returning his attention to the lesson at hand. Hagrid marched along before the amassed group of Slytherins and Gryffindors, his booming voice echoing in the densely wooded forest.

He sneered as the half giant led them on, searching for god knows what while keeping up an inane stream of chatter. Draco stumbled but was caught by Harry. Harry smiled and retained his grip on Draco's smooth hand, tugging him on.

"Of all the stupid creatures he could possibly show us, he has to drag us half way through the goddamn forest to get us there." Draco grumbled, clutching at Harry's hand as he stepped carefully over a decaying log.

"Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." Harry whispered playfully, tugging on Draco's hand again. Rolling his eyes, Draco pulled his hand free and watched as Harry bounded away, aiming for a small pack of Gryffindors. He curled his lip as Harry threw an arm around the shoulders of Dean and Seamus, almost knocking them over with the force of his greeting.

"Damn Gryffindors, how the hell they can be so bloody cheerful this early is beyond me." Stated Blaise, flinging open his arms to keep from kissing dirt after his pant leg got caught on a vicious looking root.

"I agree." Draco muttered, eyes on Harry as he allowed Blaise to use his arm for balance while he attempted to free himself. The sudden whoops of laughter had both Slytherins rolling their eyes and sneering. Shaking his head, Draco's eyes caught a sudden movement, he turned his head in time to see Millicent Bulstrode trip and smash into the ground.

Draco elbowed Blaise and nodded at the fallen Slytherin, eyes widening and mouths dropping as Neville Longbottom raced to her side and freed her gently from the brush. Both watched as the pair continued on, Slytherin clinging to the proffered arm as they continued along the invisible path.

"Now that's what happens when Gryffindors befriend Slytherins." Blaise announced contemplatively, one hand carefully smoothing his hair. Draco chuckled but returned to watching the shoving match going on between Harry and Dean.

"I suppose, but I highly doubt it'll happen again. Besides Millicent Bulstrode was never a snake, she always resembled a leech to me." Muttered Draco, hissing as a thorn tore at his finger. Narrowing his eyes, he carefully eased the injured digit into his mouth.

"Hey, do you think if we make nice with the Ravenclaws they'll take Pansy?" Blaise whispered, grinning winsomely at the thought.
"She'd eat them alive." Draco said, continuing the dangerous trek through the thick forest while maintaining a watchful eye on Harry.

Harry was sprawled across the thick rug before the fire, Draco's feet resting on his back. His eyes were focused on the text before him, quill-scribbling notes on anything relevant to the essay he was trying to complete. Rubbing the bridge of his nose with numb fingers, he almost poked himself in the eye when faint yelling began in the hallway outside the common room.

The Slytherins sat quietly but the yells only got louder. Harry squirmed from beneath Draco's feet and strolled leisurely across to the entrance portal. Throwing the panel wide, he leaned into the corridor.

"Harry!" Seamus and Dean bellowed joyously, seconds before they flattened Harry against the wall.
"We've been looking everywhere for you!" Dean yelled inches from Harry's face. Harry cringed and tipped his head back, eyes focused on the broomstick growing closer to his face with every word.

"Why exactly were you looking for him?" Draco snarled, fingers caressing his wand hopefully. Harry's eyes were nearly crossed as the broom handle inched forward.
"Why we wanted to have a scrimmage game of quidditch but we just couldn't play without Harry." Seamus said, sniffling heavily and running his index finger beneath his eye, wiping away an imaginary tear.

"Yes, wouldn't know where to start." Dean sniffled plaintively, doing his best to give Harry puppy eyes. Harry grinned and looked at Draco, questioning silently with his eyes.
"Alright, you can play but on two conditions. It's Slytherin versus Gryffindor. Also, no keeping score or deliberately injuring other players." Draco stated, crossing his arms over his chest.

Harry shoved the pair off him and gave Draco a hug before dashing towards their bedroom. "We'll meet you on the quidditch pitch in half an hour." Draco said, making a shooing gesture with his hand while trying to make sure Harry didn't injure himself in his excitement. Rolling his eyes, Draco slammed the portal closed in the ecstatic faces of the Gryffindors.

-

Severus Snape sat in his personal chambers, books piled up around him. His dark eyes scanned paragraph after paragraph, each text getting him no further then the one before. The book he currently held was on bonds; marriage bonds, blood bonds, family bonds, mating bonds and variations of the familiar bond.

However, current circumstances were like nothing any witch or wizard had ever recorded before. A wizard in his animagus form bound to another wizard was almost impossible to believe but somehow Potter had managed it.

"Yes, and look where that got us." Snape grumbled, fingers reaching for another tome. "Shouldn't have been possible. He had to go and do something else that would be impossible for a normal person and look where it got us." Sighing heavily, he snapped his fingers and waited for the crack of a house elf. Grimacing at the creature's enthusiasm, he demanded a cup of tea.

Lucius had ordered him to find a way to break the bond. The familiar bond was forever and thus impossible to break, in certain circumstances there were loopholes but the question was: could he find one? The bond between Harry and Draco was altering and changing everyday. There was no longer a way of telling what type of bond it most resembled or would resemble when it finished growing.

The fact that their magic's were joining and the pair were more likely growing in power meant disassembling the bond would be very difficult. Chances were high the bond had grown metaphysically as well, entwining strands thickened and pulsing with power, new threads creating new trails and smaller bonds. Severus Snape closed the book and set his cup of tea on the cover, eyes staring blindly into the brilliant flames dancing in his fireplace.

-

Hermione perched in the Gryffindor stands, eyes following the swift and sure maneuvers of the quidditch players. So far everything was going well. No one had been injured and the players were being at the very least courteous. There had been a few small tussles but none ended in a trip to the hospital wing.

Clapping softly at the sudden dives done by the seekers, she watched as Harry and Draco dropped straight towards the ground, holding nothing back. The fast weaving was as artful as a dance, teasing and tempting with every twist and turn. She smiled when she watched the bonded pair halt the chase and return to higher sky, taking up the silent vigil.

Checking the time, she sighed and stood up, gathering the folds of her cloak around her. She wanted to go over her essay before handing it in, waving at the players; she turned to leave but stopped when her eyes met those of Remus Lupin.

"Professor Lupin." Hermione murmured, adjusting her cloak.
"Hermione." The older wizard smiled, eyes softening as he looked at his former student. Hermione stared into those sad eyes before nodding her head and brushing by him, continuing her path and silently wishing the older wizard good luck; heaven knows he'd need it.

Draco swiveled his head, pale eyes searching frantically for the illusive golden ball. He paused in his search to observe Harry, who's eyes were focused on the Gryffindor stands. Draco followed the path of Harry's gaze and looked at the figure sitting alone on one of the wooden benches. He set his eyes to searching for the snitch once again. His mind stretched and wrapped around Harry's, encircling the shining ball of magic.

Who is it? He questioned, tilting his head slightly while observing the chasers whipping about beneath him.
Remus Lupin. Harry's voice was strangely cold; lacking the warmth it always seemed to emit when speaking of the older wizard.
I thought you liked him. Draco murmured mentally, trying to read the feelings traveling along the bonds.

I don't know anymore. I overheard him speaking with Dumbledore last night. He seemed really frustrated over our situation but I didn't really understand what he meant. Harry whispered. Draco sensed the confusion his mate was struggling with.
We don't have a situation! Draco growled, clenching his fingers tighter around his broom handle, eyes narrowing. Why must everyone refer to it as a situation like it's a bad thing or something!

Don't really know but if you'll excuse me, I have a snitch to catch! Harry whooped, pushing the broom into a steep climb. Draco swore and took off after the other seeker. Quickly catching up, the pair flew neatly side by side, neither gaining nor losing ground to the other. The snitch dropped into a sharp dive, hovering above the thick green grass.

Draco extended his hand, fingers wiggling as if he could already feel the rapid pulse of golden wings against his palm. His dream was broken when he heard a soft rumble, whipping his head about he peered in shock at the sight that met his eyes. Damian crouched precariously on Harry's broom. Draco yelped in surprise when the massive black cat lunged, paws ruthlessly pinning the snitch to the ground as he landed. The Gryffindors erupted in cheers as they landed their brooms.

"I'm pretty sure that's cheating." Blaise grumbled, fingers attempting to smooth his wind swept hair. Draco nodded in agreement but couldn't help smiling at the smug look on the panthers face.

"Doesn't rule twenty three in the quidditch rule book say something about altering ones form to better their chances at winning?" Draco hollered, waving his broom around in a playfully threatening manner. The sound of someone clearing their throat had everyone turning. For one moment the students stared at the teacher before shaking off their stupor. The Gryffindors nodded and offered up various pleasantries, ignoring the Slytherins who were closing ranks.

Harry peered around the legs of the Slytherins. Sighing he shifted slowly, standing behind Draco who was leaning against his broom elegantly, staring the older wizard down.

"To what do we owe the pleasure of your company Mister Lupin?" Draco purred. Harry rolled his eyes and put his hands on either side of the blonde's waist, shifting him so he could observe the other wizard.
"Hello Remus." He stated, putting no emotion into the greeting.

"Hello Harry." Remus Lupin said, giving a small smile. "I was wondering if I could speak with you?" Harry stood still, gazing thoughtfully at the other wizard, ignoring Draco who had placed his hands atop Harry's.
"Sure." Harry murmured, giving Draco a nudge in the direction of the school. Waving at the Gryffindors and Slytherins, Harry began a slow pace away from the group of quidditch players.

"What can I do for you Remus?" Harry questioned, running a hand over the warm shaft of his broom.
"I wanted to talk to you about the familiar bond. I'm so sorry I was unable to help you this summer. Your father would be so proud that you've mastered the animagus transformation. However, when one is granted with such power, they must be careful how they use it. You should no better then to go out alone and not tell anyone where you are going." Remus murmured, folding his hands behind his back as he walked along next to Harry.

"I don't know how well you're doing connected to Malfoy but no need to worry about it. Dumbledore has Severus working on a way to disable the bond. In no time at all you'll be free of the little prat."
"Draco is not a prat." Harry snarled, eyes narrowing as he gazed into the distance. "I suggest you watch yourself when speaking of my mate."

Remus Lupin stopped and stared at Harry. The young wizard continued to stroll down the path, broom swinging negligently from side to side.

"Mate!" Remus gasped, his hands clasping and unclasping.
"Yes. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to be getting back to the Slytherin dorms." Harry stated, swirling about to give Remus a nod before turning back around.
"Wait Harry! Please explain this to me, I don't understand. Are you saying that you've completely bonded to Draco?" Remus wondered, staring at the back of the wizard who had stopped in the middle of the path.

"Perhaps not fully...but I love him." Harry whispered, turning around to look at one of his father's oldest friends. Remus ran a hand across his face nodding his head slowly as he struggled to wrap his mind around he young wizards words.
"I suppose it doesn't really surprise me. Are you okay with loving him?" Remus murmured, regarding the other wizard closely.

"He makes me happy and looks after me like no one else ever has. Why don't you have lunch with us on Saturday? Once you meet him you'll see that he's really nice." Harry looked hopefully at Remus, emerald eyes sparkling.

"Alright, send me an owl telling me when and I'll see you there." Remus watched as the Harry walked back towards the castle, broom resting upon his shoulder. Sighing, Remus closed his eyes and wondered what the world was coming too.

Pansy shifted slightly, feeling overly hot in the thick black robes she was wearing. They were truly ugly in her opinion but what she thought didn't matter. The doors flew open behind her and she immediately dropped to her knees, forehead pressing against the cold floor. Her ears picked up the soft hiss of cloth on stone, she gulped deeply as the figure moved around her to take the throne like chair before her.

"Your father has been trying to get me to allow you into my ranks for the last few months. I had thought you to young but perhaps you can be of service after all." Voldemort's cold voice echoed through the small space. Pansy cringed, but did her best to show no emotion. Years of training came into play as she whispered her thanks and did her best to act the perfect deatheater.

"Young Mister Malfoy is in your house at Hogwarts. Certain steps must be put into place to ensure that the young Malfoy falls into my hands. I fear that Lucius has become quite attached to his son and will not part with him so easily."
"What do you wish of me my lord?" Pansy choked softly, eyes trained on the dark stone beneath her fingers.

"I believe that you'll need to enlist the aid of another individual. I will trust your judgment but know that if you get caught your life will be forfeit. You'll receive my plans when I believe the time is right, until then you are to listen for anything that could be of use to me. You are dismissed." Voldemort hissed, Pansy shivered and bowed deeper, nose pressed against the stone.

"Thank you my lord." She whispered, acknowledging his power and superiority. She had done the Parkinson family proud, swallowing deeply she smiled. She had been entrusted with a very important task, she only hoped she could complete said task without risking her own life.

Chapter 25 – Tea and Transfigurations

Harry's spoon sank into the creamy mushroom soup he was playing with. While it was intended to be his lunch, he had quickly lost interest in it when the Slytherin table begun to fill. Draco sat next to him, speaking quietly with Blaise about some important Ancient Runes assignment Harry had no intentions of finishing let alone starting, he was sure Blaise was in the same predicament.

His eyes were focused on the lone Slytherin sitting at the foot of the long table. Panther senses struggled to overcome human, desperately wanting to attack and kill the individual he saw as a threat. Emerald eyes followed every movement Pansy made, observing the witch as she ate her lunch. Harry could almost smell the deceit on her; her scent was swathed in death and evil, telling Harry she had indeed been up to something.

"Harry?" A low voice asked. Turning his head, he met the questioning gazes of Draco and Blaise.
"Huh, sorry I wasn't paying attention." Harry admitted, fingers idly spinning the spoon through the soup before him.
"I asked what was wrong. You were growling." Draco murmured, studying Harry very carefully. Harry winced internally; he should have been paying attention to what he was doing.

Pansy had become an outcast throughout Hogwarts, Slytherin leading the hit parade. Her actions the day of duel had completed her segregation; he couldn't help but watch for signs of treachery, expecting a dagger in the back at any moment.

"It must have been my stomach?" He offered, knowing neither would believe him. Harry watched the slow rising of eyebrows and the identical looks pass across the faces of the Slytherin's.

"Your stomach sounds very angry this afternoon." Blaise stated, full attention on Harry as he watched the nervous play of fingers. "Perhaps it would prefer something more tasty." With that said, a plate piled with chicken breasts was set before him, the spoon and soup moved from his reach. Harry blinked slowly, looking back and forth between the pair.

"What?" Blaise grumbled, "We'd rather you ate chicken than Pansy. After all, we wouldn't want you to catch something not to mention it would be terribly messy." Harry snorted softly before turning to the chicken and beginning to carefully pull it apart, taking comfort in the hand Draco had rested upon his knee. His eyes couldn't help but flick back to Pansy before he began to eat. The witch was up to something.

Ron reclined on the soft hospital bed, idly thumbing through the pages of his transfigurations text. The hospital ward was completely empty save for him. His eyes traveled around the room, searching for anything of interest that might entertain him.

The loud ringing of voices had him jerking about to face the main entrance door, eyes squeezing closed at the bite of pain that rode him. The loud thud of the doors swinging open had him slowly opening his eyes and whimpering at the sight that met his eyes. There, in the doorway, stood his mother. Molly Weasley looked none to happy to be standing in the hospital wing at Hogwarts, the look on her face enough to send even the bravest person running for the hills.

"Ronald Weasley! I can't believe you! To accept a wizards challenge after beating someone up! Without cause! I thought I had taught you better then that! Your father and I are so disappointed in you. You'll be lucky if you see daylight when you come home for summer break. I swear I don't know what to do with you!" Mrs. Weasley hollered, hands resting on her hips as her eyes narrowed in on her son.

"But mom-" Ron began, trying to explain his actions in a way that wouldn't get him into more trouble.
"I don't want to hear another word from your mouth unless it's an apology to those two boys. You had no right to do such a thing! What were you thinking!" Ron winced at his mother's deafening shrieks. Normally he would at least be able to make a run for it but with his leg broken he didn't stand a chance.

"H started-" He tried vainly to argue his point but quickly stopped when his mother began to loudly tap one of her shoes.
"I've arranged your detention with the Headmaster. You'll be assisting Professor Snape for the rest of the year." Mrs. Weasley looked slightly smug as she stared her son down.

"The rest of the-"
"I suggest you go no further with that thought. There's no getting out of it now. What's done is done Ronald." Ron gave a miserable nod, inside he was fuming. Once again Harry Potter had bested him. He'd find a way to get back at the stupid prat. Ron sat back and crossed his arms over his chest, ignoring his mother's lecture while pouting unhappily.

-

Narcissa Malfoy sat in a small café located in Diagon Alley. It was a quaint little place that had captured her heart and she always managed to find time to stop for a cup of tea and some cakes. She often dragged Draco here on their weekly shopping trips, knowing that he may not admit to enjoying the place he secretly loved it. Smiling softly, she looked up from the little folded card menu in the center of the table and rose fluidly, embracing one of her dearest friends.

"Narcissa!"
"Melinda!" She exclaimed. Both women stared at each other as they took the other in, noting the latest fashions and the expensive jewelry the other witch wore. Narcissa sat and gestured for the other witch to take the seat across from her, immediately the pair launched into an animated conversation, ignoring the looks the other patrons were giving them.

A waiter brought a steaming silver teapot and placed a tray of pastries and cakes between them. Narcissa watched the retreating waiter, waiting for him to be beyond the sound of her spell casting. Grinning she cast silencio before turning back to face Melinda Zabini, knowing the spell would allow her to discuss business with her friend without fear of discovery.
"Can you believe it? Harry Potter bound to Draco!" She gasped out, pouring a warm stream of tea into a pair of mismatched mugs.

"I know! Garrick was furious! He's on about it night and day, thinks Lucius is going to increase his chances of becoming Tom's right hand man." Melinda murmured, preparing her tea just the way she liked it while watching the people rushing about the street.

"Those two are going to end up in Azkaban." Narcissa stated, adding sugar to her tea then stirring it slowly. "How they think they'll capture Harry Potter is beyond me. I personally don't even understand why they bother following that crazy man; he's only leading them into trouble."

"Not to mention the fact that they'll have to go though Blaise and Draco first." Melinda added, sniffing proudly at the mention of her son.
"Hm indeed, and we both know that what's Draco's stays Draco's." Both women nodded in agreement, thoughtfully pondering the foolishness that their husbands had got caught up in.

"It's come to that point though. Lucius has a very important decision to make and I worry he won't make the right one. My little Dragon's life is on the line. I believe Harry could protect him but what would it cost; his life or Draco's?" She wondered softly, eyes saddening for a moment before hardening to a deep solemn grey. "I swear if that man harms my son I'll kill him myself."

"I will, of course, assist you. Draco is like a son to me." Melinda whispered, seizing one of Narcissa's hands and giving it a quick squeeze before reclaiming her cup. Sipping tea and admiring the robes worn by passing witches, they discussed the fall of Voldemort as if it were something as simple as the weather.

-

Draco trailed Blaise into the transfigurations room, ignoring the many greetings Harry was receiving. Rolling his pale blue eyes, he dropped into his usual seat and waited for Harry to sit down. He carefully pulled his books and papers from his bag, checking to make sure he had everything he needed. Harry thumped into his chair with all the grace of an elephant, spilling his crumpled ink stained books across the desk.

"Are you done the Ancient Runes assignment?" Blaise hissed softly at Harry. Draco snorted and sat back in his chair, admiring his neatly trimmed nails. The answer Harry gave was lost in the mass Gryffindor greeting as Professor McGonagall entered the room. All eyes followed the professor as she took her place at the front of the class and waited for silence.
Draco eyed the apple sitting innocently before him angrily.

The stupid thing was supposed to be an orange now but no, it remained an apple. Admittedly it looked a horrid brown and orange but still resembled an apple more then an orange. Narrowing his eyes, he gave a flick of his wand and returned the miserable looking fruit to its natural form. Contemplating the apple, he missed the snarl of annoyance Harry loosed before stabbing his apple with his wand. A small explosion had bits of red apple raining down on the students.

"Um, oops?" Harry offered, taking a look at Draco before bursting into laughter.
"This was my favourite shirt." Draco grumbled, attempting to swipe the chunks of apple off the dark blue silk shirt he was wearing. He sighed sadly as he peered down at the mess the explosion had made, his third best pair of dragon hide boots would never be the same.

Draco froze in mid swipe, wincing as a small whisper of pain traveled through his head. Directing his attention internally, his mind sought out the glowing bond. His eyes widened as a surge of power flowed over the bond, gathering and growing before sweeping back the way it came. The bond pulsed and heaved, expanding before it contracted, wiggling unhappily.

Shaking the feeling off, he turned back to his awaiting apple. Biting his lip, he leveled his wand and whispered the incantation. To his surprise the apple changed into an orange. Seconds later, it exploded, as did every other fruit in the room. As orange and apple rained down, his gaze blurred and he was vaguely aware of Harry slipping slowly out of his chair. With a last thought to the bond, darkness pulled him down.

-

Minerva McGonagall stared in shock at her classroom, which was now decorated in apple and orange. She peered about anxiously for the offender but froze when she noticed the pack of panicked Slytherins gathered around the desk that Harry and Draco shared.

"Everyone back to your seats!" She yelled, drawing the students attention, for one shining moment she thought they would obey but it was with a look of annoyance her orders were ignored. Pushing through the gathered Slytherins, she caught sight of the still forms lying limply on the floor.

"Hermione, go and fetch the headmaster, have him meet us in the hospital wing." Minerva ordered, hands frantically checking the boys over. "Mister Zabini, please inform Professor Snape of this incident and request his presence in the hospital wing." Both students glanced at each other before rushing out the door and down the halls, ignoring the curious students who called out questions.

Minerva carefully cast a spell before levitating the pair off the floor and beginning to leave the room. She paused in the doorway to dismiss the stunned students before hurrying towards the hospital wing, mindful of the students crowding the halls.

-

Professor Snape stalked into the hospital wing, ignoring the lone Slytherin trailing him closely. His eyes were immediately drawn to the still forms of his Slytherins resting on separate beds. Blaise had already informed him of the occurrence in the transfiguration class; Severus's only explanation was a magical surge. The recent fluctuations of the magic passing between the pair had most likely gotten out of hand.

"Severus!" McGonagall's plaintive whine had him grimacing as he studied Draco, searching for any outward signs of damage. Finding none, he moved to look Harry over and was disturbed when he saw found burn marks on the back of his hands. Stepping back he began the careful casting of a delicate spell. Minutes later he eased his eyes open and turned to look carefully at the bonded pair, wincing at the flood of glowing colours.

The pair were swathed in various colours, each shifting like water as the magic surged and pulsed through the boys bodies. Pale blue swirled about their heads. Violet danced about the still hands. Shimmering silver encased the bonded pair completely, etched with lines of an angry red. Studying the colours carefully, he flinched and turned his head, seeking the dash of gold he thought he'd witnessed.

Before he could continue his search, the colours began to merge and join, fading into a strange shade of dark blue. The colour held before separating slowly, returning to its original shades and positions. A swish of his wand ended the spell, leaving him standing there in a daze. Whirling about, he stormed from the room quickly.

-

Harry surfaced slowly, narrowing his eyes against the bright lights twinkling above him. He blinked as his eyes worked to focus. The slide and dilation of his pupil gave him the perfect sight of a panther. Wary emerald eyes met a pair of bright blue orbs as the figure above him leaned further over the bed he occupied, the mass of red curls spilling over her shoulders.

"Harry dear, how are you feeling?" Molly Weasley questioned, fingers pulling and straightening the sheets Harry held clenched in his fists.
"Draco." He demanded, first thoughts about the safety of his bonded.

"Oh, he's fine dear. Madame Pomfrey sent him back to the dorms. He was worried about you and wouldn't leave you alone. The Headmaster felt it was best if he try and get some sleep." Mrs. Weasley informed him, still tugging uselessly at the sheets. "Now how are you?" Harry paused and concentrated, he felt fine. The bond was still shifting restlessly but the power was flowing calm and even.

"I feel fine. Can I go?" He asked, trying not to whine as he attempted to free his blankets from her clutches.
"Madame Pomfrey felt it would be best if you remain here for the night." Letting go of the sheets, the older woman stepped back and pulled the chair she had been resting in closer to the bed.

His eyes darted about the room as she sat down, still eyeing the crooked blankets with disapproval. Harry's eyes searched for Ron, who should have been resting in one of the beds next to his.
"Where's Ron?" He asked quickly, trying to figure out if Draco was safe in the dorms without him.

"He's been sent home for now, dear. Arthur and I felt it would be for the best." Harry grimaced as the woman sniffled; all he needed was the poor woman breaking into tears.
"I never thought he'd do such a thing!" With that final sentence, she erupted into tears. Harry sighed and patted her shoulder lightly, ignoring the discomfort he felt. Her arms wrapped around his neck tightly, causing him to gag.

Harry waited patiently as the woman slowly calmed down, wiping her tears away with a bright purple handkerchief she pulled from a deep pocket. Mrs. Weasley slipped into sleep with her head resting on the edge of Harry's bed. Harry smirked as he slid from the bed and crept towards the door, casting one last look over his shoulder before sliding out the door and down the hall.

-

Pansy was lounging in a small alcove located in the owlery. In her left hand she clutched a bottle of perfectly aged Scotch while the right conveyed a cigarette to her mouth. Inhaling deeply, she held the smoke in her lungs before exhaling, smirking at the stream of thick grey smoke. Her thoughts were broken by the sudden shrill of an owl.

The massive bird stuck, talons scraping her shoulder before fanning its wings and landing on a small perch. Clutching her wounded shoulder, she looked at the shattered remains of the whiskey bottle, leveling a glowering gaze at the owl she approached slowly after stubbing out her cigarette.

The black owl flashed amber eyes before extending its leg and offering a small package to her. Reading the words carefully, she smiled and touched her wand to the corner of the parchment, setting it aflame before dropping the paper to the ground. She slid the small package into the pocket of her robe before beginning to exit the tower, pausing to glance back at Voldemorts owl sitting calmly in the schools owlery as if he belonged there.

-

Severus sat in his office, drinking liberally from the glass of brandy he had poured himself immediately upon arrival. The book before him contained information on a bond detection spell. The spell he had used on Harry and Draco. Used to detect various bonds, it allowed the user to observe each type of bond and understand what it entailed. His eyes floated over the notes he had recorded from his observations.

The violet he'd noted was the most obvious bond, the one that had begun it all. The familiar bond in all its glory. Used to share magic between an animal and a wizard, its basic purpose was the storage of magic.

It also allowed for the telepathic communication, however that could have been brought on by another one of the bonds. The pale blue was a simple telepathic bond, allowing the users to speak mind to mind. Severus leaned back and closed his eyes, chewing his lip as he tried to pull the various bonds apart.

The red was a bond used among nobility. A bodyguard bond, which would explain the protectiveness the pair had shown for each other. It was sometimes used as an insurance factor. The silver was also one of the most significant and easy to understand. A lovers bond. He doubted the bond had been consummated but the beginnings of it were present.

Sooner or later it would demand consummation but as it was still growing chances were it would lie still below the surface for a few more years. He sat back and looked over his notes, it would take forever to work out every nook and cranny of the bonds. They were so thickly intertwined the chances of breaking them would be practically impossible. Dumbledore wouldn't be happy but at this point in time there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Chapter 26 – To Eat the Red Ones Last

Severus Snape paused before the door that led into the Headmaster's chamber. Sliding a hand into the pocket of his robes, he drew forth a pocket watch and glanced at the time, seven forty five on a Saturday morning. His hand froze above the pale wood as a cheerful voice invited him in. The smirk that had graced his face vanished, replaced with a grimace of unhappiness; he'd been looking forward to waking the old fool up.

"Good morning Headmaster." His cool voice muttered, void of any emotion.
"It's good to see you this morning Severus. Wonderful to see you demonstrating the initiative and spunk required to get up early on one of your only days off." Dumbledore all but cooed. Severus moved forward to take the seat before the large desk, sneering at the mess of papers and trinkets spread across the once glossy surface.

Disorganization had to be a Gryffindor trait, the inability to keep an area clean and organized without threat or praise.
"I've come to speak about the bond." Severus began.
"What bond Severus? You can't expect me to remember everything my boy." The old wizard queried cheerfully, pulling a large drawer open and rifling freely through its contents. Severus' mouth fell open in shock as he watched the Headmaster, suppressing a groan as a colourful box was slapped onto the desk and pinned beneath a wrinkled hand.

"The bond, Headmaster. The one currently binding Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter together. Surely you remember asking me to check on it?" Severus inquired, a single dark eyebrow rising as an arm casually cleared a space on the crowded desk, wincing at the sound of shattering glass he watched his mentor in bemusement. The box was torn open without further ado, spilling coloured candies across the desks scuffed surface.

"Oh, that bond. Do tell me what you've found." Muttered Albus, fingers diligently working to separate the candies into small piles seemingly based on colour.
"The bond in question seems not to be a single bond but many. A super bond if you will. It grows everyday, creating new pathways between the pair. It's fascinating really. The way the bonds are interacting and reinforcing each other." Severus explained leaning forward, hands gesturing wildly as he tried to express what he had viewed while under the bond detection spell.

"Some of the bonds should be struggling for control but instead they have begun to merge." Severus stated, placing his elbows on his knees, hands spread out before him as he racked his mind for the right words to express his thoughts.
"Ah, interesting. Have you discovered anything that may create problems in the future?" Albus asked quietly, full attention on the maneuvering of his chocolates and the tidy piles he had created.

"No Headmaster, everything seems fine."
"Excellent. Well if there's nothing else you'd like to discuss with me you may return to your duties." The older wizard muttered, wiggling his fingers in a gesture of finality as he leaned closer to his desk and the awaiting chocolates.

"Thank you sir." Severus said, quickly rising and heading towards the beckoning door, stepping over a pile of books stacked haphazardly in the middle of the room. Throwing a last look over his shoulder as he pushed through the door, he observed Albus Dumbledore contemplating the candies before him, softly murmuring 'Should I eat the red ones last?' to himself. Shaking his head, Severus left the room and fled towards the warmth of his private quarters.

-

Draco stood before the mirror in his chambers, fingers fidgeting with the collar of his silk shirt. The dark blue made his eyes appear paler and his blonde hair shone under the dim candlelight. He tipped his head to one side as he watched Harry approach him from behind, emerald cloth clinging to his form. The pair stood frozen next to each other, obviously admiring the other silently while waiting for some unknown sign.

"What are you worried about?" Harry asked quietly, hands moving quickly as he worked to straighten the collar of Draco's shirt.
"Nothing really. I am expected to present myself as a gentleman not to mention the fact that we're meeting a very old friend of your parents. His judgment will mean a lot to everyone else, they'll take their cues about our relationship from him." Draco explained, shoving Harry's hands away and returning his shirt to the correct position.

He slid a finger under the collar carefully; pulling slowly he revealed the silver chain that carried the small silver bell. The small bell sat gleaming on his chest, tinkling softly with every breath he drew in.

"Relax Draco, it's only Remus. Besides its not like he doesn't know you, he did teach you for a year." Harry pointed out, fingers going to the silver collar around his neck and tugging gently, making sure it sat perfectly straight on his neck. Draco rolled his eyes and pushed Harry's hands away, reaching out and positioning the collar carefully, making sure each of the charms hung neatly and could be seen. Shaking his head, Draco turned and headed towards the bed, gathering the black cloak he had chosen for this meeting. He was unprepared for the impact of Harry's body as he was pinned to the bed.

"No fear's Draco. Remember that I'll be right next to you and if you don't like the way something is going just tell me and we'll leave. It's as simple as that." Harry whispered softly against the nape of his neck, lips brushing the sensitive flesh. Draco lay still, taking comfort from the close presence and the warmth that wrapped itself around him both physically and mentally.

He nodded his head slightly, chewing his lip in protest as Harry rolled off of him and climbed to his feet. Rolling over he looked at Harry standing above him and smiled, extending a hand and allowing Harry to pull him to his feet. He couldn't help but chuckle as he was pulled tight against Harry's chest, lips falling to nibble along his cheek playfully.

"Stop it, we have to go now or we'll be late." He protested half heartedly, trying not to sigh as Harry let go of him and scooped up the fallen cloak before setting it across his shoulders. Draco gave one last look in the mirror before trailing Harry from the room; eye's absently checking his mate's appearance before flicking his cloak straight.

-

Pansy crouched in a dark corner of the common room; eyes locked on the door that guarded Draco's private room. She had been waiting for the pair to leave, knowing that they would most likely be heading out to Hogsmeade with the rest of the students. She shifted into deeper shadows when the door was flung open and Harry paraded out of the room.

Pansy bit her lip when he paused and raised his head slightly, nose seeming to search the air before shaking his head lightly and continuing across the room. Holding her breath, she observed the gliding gait that carried Draco from the room, each step purposeful and quiet.

Leaning forward intently, her ears struggled to pick up the mutterings occurring between the two but the thumping of several third years coming down the stairs destroyed any chance she may have had of hearing their conversation. As the noise of the group vanished, the click of the wall falling back into place seemed to echo in the room.

Pansy held her position for a moment longer, waiting patiently to see if either wizard would return to retrieve something they had forgotten. Stalking from her hiding place she approached the massive doors, her hands extended before her as she pushed lightly against the cold wood. The door creaked softly but refused to open.

"Damnit!" She hissed, fists pounding unhappily against the door. Drawing her wand she aimed at the doorknob, her hand shook as her lips whispered the incantation of the spell she had been given. The door shuddered and groaned, wood struggling to protect the contents of the room hidden behind it.

With a low pop, the lock disengaged. Pansy smirked and pushed the door open, strolling inside and glancing about the room. Tossing the small wrapped box she carried in her hand, she watched as it landed with a small bounce in the center of the bed.

Her eyes took in the emerald and black bed coverings and the thick carpets spread across the floor. Her mouth watered as she opened one of the trunks and began searching its contents, pausing when her hand closed about a long velvet box.

Drawing it out, she moved into brighter light and stifled her gasp of admiration as she looked at the necklace lying upon the white silk. The outline of a gold heart with a small sapphire dangling from the center swung back and forth on a thin finely crafted chain.

Tucking it in her pocket, she slammed the lid down and headed towards the door, pausing one last time she looked at the brightly wrapped present lying in the center of the bed. She closed the door softly and looked around the common room before proceeding to her dorm, the bottle of champagne her father had sent calling her name every step of the way.

-

It was a cold day. The type of day that forewarned the arrival of winter and sent people fleeing for the warmth of blazing fires. Students running around were dressed in heavy winter cloaks, the thick fabric pulled tight against their bodies by the brisk wind. Fallen leaves swirled around the paths and roads of Hogsmeade, a flag of colour representing the death of the season.

Harry entwined his fingers with Draco's, tightening his grip as they moved slowly down the road of Hogsmeade. The slow stroll they had left Hogwarts at had since turned into a defiant march. Their eyes had hardened as they observed the reactions of the witches and wizards who lived in the small community.

It was the first time they had left the school as a couple in the public's eye, and the reactions they had got had been strangely satisfying. Some people had looked horrified while others had smiled and called out greetings to the pair.

Harry shivered and cuddled closer to Draco, smiling when the blonde slipped an arm around his shoulders.
You okay? Draco whispered internally, magic curling around Harry's. For a moment power rode the pair as their magic's sought each other out. A burning sensation crawled around their joined hands, making both gasp in shock.

The burn faded quickly, replaced by a soothing feeling of love and devotion.
What the hell was that? Harry demanded, withdrawing a small portion of his magic but continuing to keep contact with his mate.
I have no idea. Perhaps I should ask Severus about it. Draco murmured, pulling Harry closer.

No, leave it for now. I'll ask Hermione later. He stated, nodding to an older witch who was waving at them. I think Severus has enough on his mind right now. Shivering in the cold, Harry pulled the dark hood over his head, letting go of Draco for a moment while the blonde tugged his own hood into place.

Grinning at each other they continued their walk, meandering through the road packed with their fellow students while looking for anyone who might mean them harm. Stopping in front of the Three Broomsticks, Harry placed his hand on the door, and met Draco's eyes before pushing the door open and entering the small establishment.

-

Remus Lupin sat impatiently at a table he had commandeered upon entering the little pub. He had many good memories of this place. Lunches and drinks with the Marauders, and the discussions they had had. The slow creak of the door and a sudden chill heralded the arrival of more patrons.

He rose slowly when both individuals flicked back the hoods of the cloaks they wore, one head crowned with locks of ebony while the other appeared to glow under the soft lighting. A slight flick of his fingers garnered the attention of the boys who immediately headed towards him. His fingers pulled on each other as he awaited their arrival, silently wondering how well this would go and trying to remember to be careful of what he spoke about in the presence of a Death Eater's son.

"Remus!" Harry greeted him cheerfully, immediately hugging the werewolf. Remus tightening his arms around the son of his best friend, just managing to choke out Harry's name in response. His eyes locked with the pale orbs of the blonde standing behind Harry, observing the meeting quietly.

Loosening his grip, he stepped back and held Harry at arms length, eyes immediately going to the silver collar around the youth's neck. His first instinct was to growl and try and free Harry of the collar but quickly shook the feeling off and waved a hand at the table he had claimed. The small group sat slowly, arranging themselves around the table while trying not to stir up any problems or disagreements.

"This is Draco Malfoy." Harry introduced proudly, one hand wrapping itself around the thin pale hand resting upon the table. The blonde nodded at the introduction, eyes still watching the older man.

"It's a pleasure to see you again Draco." Remus murmured, eyes examining Harry's claimed mate.
"As it is to see you sir." Draco responded politely, obviously judging Remus while pretending to glance over the menu resting before him. A harried waitress arrived and took their orders, which took surprisingly long.

He watched as Harry and Draco argued the pros and cons of every menu item before choosing their entrees.
"What have you been up to Remus?" Inquired Harry, fingers absently spinning a small knife on the table while he peered around the room.
"Not much really. I've been moving around through the various werewolf packs trying to get some more supporters for the light side. It's not easy." Remus said, picking up the glass of water sitting on the table before him.

"It wouldn't be," Draco's voice was cool. "People see them as monsters and a threat to society. They're used to being ridiculed and hunted. The dark lord has promised them equality, which is what they desire above anything else. What are you offering them that could top that?" Draco questioned, leaning forward. Remus widened his eyes in amazement, before bursting into a full out argument with the younger wizard.

Time flew by before their plates were placed before them. The dispute was unsettled but revealed a lot about the relationship and character of Draco. Remus sat silently eating his meal while watching the pair across from his in amusement. Their plates had been pushed practically together so both could eat off either plate. His eyes had widened in shock when they had first begun to eat.

Their movements flowed as they easily worked around each other. Harry picked the mushrooms from the top of Draco's steak while the blonde diligently cleared the green beans out of the thick stew Harry had pleaded and argued for. The fact that they managed to share the plates without once clashing or even bumping elbows gave him a greater insight into the relationship the pair had.

"Dessert?" Remus questioned, raising his eyebrows and placing his napkin on the table next to the cooling coffee he had ordered.
"No thank you." Draco said, sitting back and stretching his arm across the back of Harry's chair. Harry widened his eyes and nodded happily, quickly selecting a pudding off the dessert menu and wiggling in his seat while waiting for the waitress to bring his treat. Remus watched in amusement as Draco rolled his eyes over Harry's excitement.

While Harry plowed his way through a large bowl of banana pudding, Remus discussed several other political points with Draco, surprised over the knowledge and theories the younger wizard had to offer. Glancing at his watch he noted that he had spent over three hours with the pair. He sighed softly and murmured his excuses before paying the bill and leaving.

Pausing in the door he turned and looked back at the pair lounging at the small table, he smiled as he watched Harry grab Draco's hand and pull him closer before waving a spoon heaped with pudding under the blondes nose. Allowing the door to close behind him, he looked at the sky and chuckled. Harry was happy and that was all that mattered to him.

"I think that went fairly well." Draco said, hand sinking into the thick black fur of Damian. He stopped on the small path before the little establishment, hands working themselves into thick wool mittens while the panther before him pounced playfully on a leaf skittering about. "Are you a kitten or a cat?"

I am whatever I want to be. Harry responded, halting his antics and watching the blonde tug his hood into place. The crowds had thinned slightly, many of the students returning to Hogwarts early due to the weather. The pair joined the tail of a small group of students heading up the winding path.

Something seems off. Draco murmured, hands clenching around the edges of his cloak as he drew the cloth tighter against his body. The sky had darkened and the trees whipped back and forth, pushed by the strong cold wind.
I think its just you. Harry muttered, padding softly ahead of Draco. His panther senses were disturbed but it seemed to be based on the weather rather then the possibility of an attack. I think its going to snow tonight.
It's way too early for snow. Draco responded, sliding a hand into a pocket to rest along his wand.

Snow usually doesn't start till at least November. It can't be natural. There has to be something influencing the weather, we should hurry and get back to the castle. Harry hissed, flashing his fangs at a fourth year Hufflepuff who had stopped in the middle of the path to tie his shoe.

Agreed. Draco snarled, sneering at the other student as he was forced from the clear path into the brush at the side of the trail. Damn I'll never get these boots clean. The panther ahead of him let out a coughing laugh and dashed up the path, pausing at the top of the slope and watching Draco slowly stalk towards him. The pair continued their playful bantering as they returned to the warmth and protection of Hogwarts.

A large tome slammed onto the desk before Severus, causing him to jump in shock and spill the red ink over his desk. Hissing in rage, he glanced up to threaten the individual only to find himself looking into a pair of icy orbs.

"Lucius?" He whispered, the words leaving his mouth on a sigh. The blonde pulled out a chair and sat down with a thump, lacking the usual grace and elegance associated with the Malfoy's.

"Severus." The voice was as cold as the pale eyes. The black robes settled around the thin shoulders, swishing gently as they settled. "I've come to give you your last warning. The bond must be broken."
"I'm afraid that breaking the bond is impossible. There is no way to possibly break the bond at this stage. The bond has...done something. Grown, merged, created more bonds. It's become an entirely new type of bond, to even try to break it could result in immediate death." Severus argued, his eyes resting on the book that had been dropped before him.

A single pale finger tapped the book as eyes narrowed.
"I don't care. I will not have my son bound to that little prat, it's bad enough his blood is tainted." Lucius hissed, pale finger tapping the book slightly harder than before.

"The bonds have become so tightly entwined there is no way of knowing what could kill or damage them." Severus argued loudly, his own eyes narrowing as he watched that finger trace a pattern on the book.
"I don't care. Do something about it." Lucius growled rising slowly, his finger gliding across the hard cover one last time before he turned and slid into the shadows, vanishing through means unknown.

Severus stared into the dark corner then pulled the book closer and slowly opened it. The curving writing sprawled across the page claimed 'The Transfer of Bonds'. His eyes widened as he quickly began to flip through the pages and read headings and chapter titles.

He froze when something caught his eye. There snuggled between two pages was a leather bookmark, an L and M etched into the material. His eyes took in the title of the page and he sat back. A transfer spell based on a wizards animagus form.

Why hadn't he thought of that? It would allow him to transfer parts of the bond and place them elsewhere, replacing them when the danger had passed. Smiling he slid his fingers through his black hair, for one moment it seemed like his world had straightened itself out.

Chapter 27 – Curiosity Portkeyed the Panther

Draco shivered and pulled his cloak closer to his body, his eyes resting on the welcoming doors into the massive castle. A quick movement caught his eyes and he watched the panther stalking silently ahead of him. With a light bound the black panther landed neatly at the top of the steps, its green eyes flashing as it turned to peer back at him.

"I'm coming." Draco grumbled, eyes narrowing as the panthers tail lashed impatiently. The panther yowled unhappily and crouched low, tail wrapping around its front paws as he waited for Draco to climb the steps. "It's not my fault your animagus doesn't like the cold." Draco climbed the steps extra slow, pausing once to tug his left mitten back into place, his obvious procrastination earned him a deep rolling growl.

Opening the doors he sighed at the warm blast of heat that immediately enveloped them. Luxuriating in the warmth, both stood there with their eyes closed and allowed the last remains of the cold to leave them. He slipped the mittens from his hands and tucked them into the pocket of the dark cloak.

"Draco!"
Turning his head, he watched the slow approach of Blaise. His fingers loosed the ties of the cloak, allowing it to slide slowly off his shoulders. The dark fabric was caught and carefully thrown across his arm.
"Hey Damian, Harry...whatever you're calling yourself these days." Blaise said cheerfully, one hand giving the panther a companionable pat on the head.

The panther responded with a deep throbbing purr, whiskers and ears twitching in silent laughter. Blaise looked back to Draco and his whole demeanor changed. "How did it go?" He asked softly.
"Surprisingly well. As you can see I'm in one piece, not a rip or werewolf drool anywhere." Draco pointed out, hands gesturing at the neat and still pristine clothes he wore.
"That's excellent." Blaise murmured, eyes watching the panther as it paced back and forth before them.

"Where are you off to?" Draco asked, one hand catching the panther and dragging him close. Long fingers gently massaged velvet ears as he waited for Blaise's response.
"I was actually headed to the library," Blaise raised the book he held lightly in one hand.

"Granger's agreed to assist me on my Ancient Runes assignment." One pale eyebrow slid up slowly. The panther revealed the deadly claws on all four paws, rumbling in warning as his tail flicked in silent reminder.

"I believe that Harry is warning you to be careful. Remember she's supposedly going out with the Weasel still. Neither of us wants to see you get hurt over something so stupid as Granger." Draco said, fingers clenching around the panther's ear to prevent the panther from nipping him.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way. After the Weasel's last stunt, I really don't want to see anyone else injured." He explained, pinning the panther's head against his abdomen. The cat stopped thrashing but rumbled slightly. Letting the panther go, Draco turned back to Blaise.

"I'm not that bad. Plus I'm a Slytherin. It's not like I go throwing myself into danger every chance I get. Gryffindor trait, remember?" Blaise protested, eyes watching the play between the two.

"Right. Well I'm off to get some work done. We'll see you at dinner?" Draco questioned, his eyes following the panther as it glided down one of the halls and paused at the top of the stairs into the dungeons. Emerald eyes met blue before the panther gathered itself then leapt, vanishing into the darkness of the shadowed stairs.

"Sure." Blaise called as he backed away from Draco, one hand waving. "Oh, and Snape is looking for you so you might want to stop at his quarters and see what he wants." With a last wave, he vanished around a corner.

"Great. I spend my full day with a werewolf and now I have to go and spend several more minutes in the company of my godfather. Will my pain and suffering never end?" Draco questioned, casting his eyes towards the ceiling. Sighing, he moved slowly towards the stairs Damian had disappeared down.

Pansy perched in the center of her bed, the emerald and silver curtains had been pulled closed, preventing anyone from realizing she was in the dorm. Her hands fiddled with the delicate gold and sapphire necklace she'd snatched from one of the trunks in Draco's room.

As far as she was concerned she had every right to it, those two had thoroughly ruined her reputation, if anything she deserved a bit of compensation. It was a magnificent little trinket, an obvious sign of love.

She bit her lip as she heard voices calling back and forth downstairs. This would be it. Draco would go into his room and see the little box, pick it up, and then find himself in a cell somewhere. She snickered to herself; something was finally going right in her life.

Slipping off the bed, she rummaged through a small trunk, fingers finding and discarding various shaped bottles. Pansy sighed in pleasure as she felt the sloped bottleneck resting beneath her palm. Withdrawing the small bottle of champagne, she neatly pulled the cork and raised the bottle in a silent toast. Her brilliance and beauty would have her rising in the ranks of the Death Eaters in no time.

The fist sip of champagne slid down her throat soothingly. She paused with the bottle to her mouth, ears picking up the name that was being called. Taking a long swig, she began to choke as someone said 'hi Harry'. Gasping for breath she whimpered in horror, Harry not Draco. She had failed. The cork was slid back into the bottle with numb fingers. Perhaps she had needed an accomplice.

-

Damian floated through the darkness before his paws caught him neatly. His senses working carefully to pick up any threat as he moved closer to the Slytherin dorms. He paused when a strange scent caught his nose and paused before the hidden entrance into Severus' private chambers.

His whiskers twitched as he attempted to recall where he had last caught that scent. The drone of voices was too muted by the thick stone for him to really be able to hear properly. Flashing his fangs at the wall, he returned to his silent patrol.

The wall into the Slytherin dorms slid open before him. It had taken only a scratch and a growl before someone had come to let him in. He could have changed back but the most recent smell of danger had him wanting a little extra protection. Stopping in the center of the dorm, his senses spread out but found nothing out of place. There were no new or strange smells in this room. He bobbed his head as several students greeted him and purred a response that sent them into giggles.

His magic reached out and coiled along the bond, finding that it seemed closer then usual. The amount of power it took to make and maintain contact with Draco was smaller then it used to be. Frowning over his discovery, he slid his mind along the bond, allowing Draco to feel his presence while he reassured himself that his mate was fine.

The bond leapt beneath his touch, coiling tighter and surging under his ministrations. Drawing back, he felt the bond return to its usual restful state. Shaking the feeling off, he trotted over to the room he shared with Draco and froze, ears pinned against his skull as his eyes narrowed.

The door smelled off. Growling softly he raised a paw and rested it gently on the wood. Magic swirled as the door acknowledged him and released, allowing him to pass into the room.

Slinking around the door, he halted and dropped low. Everything panther in him yelled threat, demanding he take immediate precautions. The panther snarled at the room, eyes searching for any detail that might assist in locating a threat.

A strange smell coiled along his whiskers, teasing him as he tried to place the scent. Prowling around the room, he stopped next to the bed when the smell intensified. Emerald eyes caught sight of something small resting in the center of the bed.

A paw rose slowly but was withdrawn as the massive cat walked around the bed. Reversing direction he began a silent stalk, eye focused on the little box. Muscles bunched as the panther paused before leaping suddenly, fangs and claws tearing into what it saw as a threat.

The strong smell of lavender filled his muzzle as his fangs were buried in the package. There was only one person in Slytherin who wore that particular perfume. For one moment it seemed everything was fine but with sharp twist and a loud pop, Damian vanished in a flash.

Draco walked slowly towards his godfather's chambers, pausing next to the door when he heard raised voices breaching the thick wood. His stupor was broken when a tug on the bond drew his attention inwards.

He felt Harry glide into his mind and run his magic over the bond before fading into the backward murmur of his thoughts. Shaking the feeling off, he knocked lightly on the door. The ringing voices halted immediately and there was a pause before the door swung open. Draco opened his mouth but shut it firmly when the older wizard grabbed him and pulled him into the dark room.

"Severus, quit tugging." He demanded, shrugging away from his godfather's touch and straightening his robes angrily.
"Draco, respect your elders." The cold hiss had had him gasping and searching the shadows frantically. His pale orbs met an equally icy pair as he gazed into his fathers face.

"Father." Draco whispered.
"Draco, please have a seat." Severus murmured, hands steering Draco towards a plush chair sitting next to the fire. Draco allowed himself to be pushed but his eyes never left the cold face of his father. "Your father and I have been talking and felt that you should be privy to what's going on."
"Whatever he's up to I want nothing to do with." Draco growled, seating himself and locking his hands around the chairs arms. Eyes narrowing on his fathers as the older man shifted in his chair and tapped his cane impatiently on the floor.

"It concerns Harry's safety." Snape muttered, heading towards the small kitchen area only to return a few seconds later with a teapot and several cups floating along behind him.

"What's the matter with his safety?" Draco snarled, eyes seeming to glow for a moment as he curled one lip in the direction of his father. Severus pushed a steaming cup into his hand before collapsing in the chair across from Lucius.

"Well, not so much his safety as yours. You see, the Dark Lord has a plan to portkey you to his headquarters and lure Harry into trying to rescue you. It's completely crazy but the chances are high that something will go wrong." Severus stated, slowly swirling a spoon through his tea. Draco's mouth fell open in shock. His eyes locked on his fathers face.

"What?" He spluttered, trying to wrap, his mind around the information he had just been given.
"HE has enlisted the aid of another student. The Parkinson girl if I'm not mistaken." Lucius snarled, eyes holding Draco's as the pair faced off.

"Since when have you cared about Harry or I?" Draco demanded, completely ignoring his godfather's efforts to calm him down.
"I do not care for that Potter boy. You, however, are expected to carry the Malfoy name into the future. Which you cannot do bound to a person who will most likely die within the next few days." Lucius answered, peering into the teacup resting in his hand before taking a delicate sip.

"Your father and I believe it would be for the best if you allowed us to transfer the bond between you and Harry to another place for a few days. Just until we find out what exactly is going on." Severus announced calmly, eyes darting back and forth between the feuding pair.

"Never!" Roared Draco. The teacup smashed against the far wall. A cooling line of tea sprinkled across the floor and over several books sitting about.
"Calm down. The bond will be replaced as soon as everything is over and taken care of. All we'll do is place it somewhere safe." Severus tried to reason with Draco but Draco was having none of it.

"Neither of you will touch the bond. It is going to remain right where it is. There will be no transferring or switching do you understand?" Draco snarled in anger, eyes flashing at the pair. A small wind twisted through the room, sweeping several loose papers from a pile and spreading them across the room. The blazing fire leapt and crackled, tendrils of smoke seeping from the hearth and coiling about the ankles of the two wizards.

"Control yourself!" Lucius roared, pulling his wand and waving it at the smoke only to have it coil around the wood and pull his hand closer to the fire.
"Do. You. Understand?" Draco repeated softly, rising and brushing his robes free of imaginary dust. The small wind pulled at his robes as he glided slowly towards the door.

"Yes!" Severus shrieked, darks eyes widening as the smoke dragged the edge of his robe closer to the hungry fire. Draco shifted his gaze to his father who was staring at the smoke in fascination as it drew his wand closer to the crackling flames.

"I will not repeat myself." Draco hissed, watching in delight, as Lucius Malfoy was pulled closer to the burning embers. Pale eyes met and locked as the pair faced off.

"Understood." Lucius gritted out, watching the satisfied smile creep across his sons face. Draco pushed the entrance open and walked into the hall. Leaning back against the door as he closed his eyes relief. Now that that was taken care of he should find Harry and give him a heads up.

Without thought his mind reached out and searched for Harry's magic. The bond was still, like it was resting and preparing itself for something. Calling Harry he waited patiently but received no response. Frowning, he headed towards the Slytherin dorms and entered.

"Draco."
"Blaise, back already?" Draco asked, grinning slightly.
"No, I came to get my Defense Against the Dark Arts books. You should come with me, I'm done my Ancient Runes and I actually think I did it right." Blaise stated proudly.
"Great, have you seen Harry?" Draco muttered, eyes locked on the door into his room as his magic searched for Harry.

"Nope. Perhaps he's up with the Gryffindors." Suggested Blaise, pounding up the stairs towards his rooms. Draco nodded before pushing into his room and looking around. The bed was rumpled and had a slight rip in one spot.

"Harry? Damian?" He called, eyes searching and looking over the ruined blankets. He called mentally again but received no response. A sense of fear crept through him as his magic writhed suddenly bringing the bond humming to life. The realization of what was going on hit him hard: Harry wasn't in the castle anymore.

Chapter 28 – Silver Bells and Pitch Black Cells

Damian hissed in pain as he slammed into the cold hard ground. His lips curled back as he shook the remains of the package from his muzzle. Pupils dilated as the panther sought the surrounding darkness for a possible clue to his location.

Panic rose sharply as unfamiliar scents lapped at his nose. The cage was bleak and smelled sharply of freshly turned earth. The only light was a dull glow piercing from beneath the door that guarded the exit. Ears swiveled and whiskers twitched in desperation.

Rolling slowly, the cat crouched on the ground; hackles standing up as he listened to the dull thud of boots approaching his prison. Slipping into the thicker shadows, Damian watched the outline of the cell door silently, expecting it to swing open any moment. The tread of boots grew closer but passed by the cage without pause.

Snarling, he turned and paced the length of the cell wall, whiskers guiding him with perfect precision. Crouching back down, he rose up on his hind legs, paws patting frantically at the stone. Claws bit into the dark stone, tearing grooves and loose earth free in a hopeless gesture of futility. Sliding slowly to the ground the panther parted his muzzle and called softly. Ears swiveling as he listened for a reply.

Magic gathered and swirled, the bond struggling to bring itself into full power. Tendrils reached and tugged, attempting to pull power and magic from the second part of the bond. There was a small crack and the panther reeled back, head shaking at the pain chewing its way up his muzzle.

Aching and miserable, the cat slouched into a corner and curled up, muzzle rising one last time to emit a loud yowling cry. Silence reigned through the dark space; the only sound the constant drip of water from the dark ceiling.

"Harry!" Draco screamed. The shrill cry echoing through the common room and bouncing up the shadowed stairs into the Slytherin dorms. Startled students whipped around, eyes wide in fear as they listened to the tormented cry of their Prince.

The stairs trembled beneath the Slytherins as they pounded down from their rooms to investigate the disturbance.
"Harry!" Draco repeated, silence reined as the cry faded and died. Slytherin house stood still in the common room, all eyes locked on the sight before them. Collapsing to his knees, Draco burst into sobs and clutched at the carpet in desperation.

Tears slid down his face as he attempted to call for his mate again. The words catching in his throat as arms wrapped around him tightly.
"Calm down Draco," Blaise whispered softly. Running a calming hand over Draco's back as he looked at the students milling about outside the room.

"What happened?" He demanded, eyes searching for a sign that someone knew something. Shrugs were the only answer he received as eyes slid away from his.
"Harry's gone." Draco croaked quietly, the words piercing the hearts of the assembled Slytherins.

"It's a big school, surely he's somewhere," Blaise soothed, rising and pulling Draco up to stand beside him. "Listen up! I want all of you to alert the other houses that Harry is missing. Crabbe! Goyle! You two are to go up to Gryffindor and check in with that lot. He may be up there doing whatever it is the Gryffindors do in their spare time." Taking charge, he assisted Draco into one of the chairs before the fire in the Common Room.

The snakes leapt into action without further instruction. Wands were drawn and checked over before they headed out the portal, each and every one of them hoping that Harry was indeed visiting with the Gryffindors. The wall fell closed behind the pack, leaving Draco and Blaise too the calming crackle of flames emitting from the hearth.

"I'm going to go and get Snape." Blaise murmured, patting Draco on the back one last time before leaving quickly. Now wasn't the time to leave the other wizard alone.
Draco peered into the dancing flames, the soft hissing calming him into a trance.

Orange, reds, yellows, and the palest blue danced at the heart of the always burning flame. Feeling his heart slow, he watched absently as the flames took on a form. Crackling and snapping as a red panther snarled in outrage and stalked back and forth across the burning logs.

Gasping at the sound echoing through his skull, he shook his head and peered back into the flames, only to find the image gone. He closed his eyes tightly and hoped someone arrived with news of Harry. Wishing against all odds that the bond was wrong and Harry was wandering the halls aimlessly.

-

Severus Snape looked away from the opened text resting on the desk before him as someone pounded on his door. Growling in annoyance, he flicked his wand and watched as the door slid open slowly before a strong hand slammed into it. The loud crack as the door impacted with the wall had him standing and pointing his wand. Blaise Zabini stood in the doorway with his wand in one hand while the other rested flat against the door.

"Harry's missing." The young wizard stated, glancing over his shoulder asa first year Slytherin ran down the hall towards the Common Room.
"Missing?" Severus questioned, dark eyes searching the room behind him.
"Yes, missing. As in disappeared, vanished, gone." Blaise growled, fingers slipping down the warm wood of his wand in a search for comfort.

"Where's Draco?" He snapped, hands pulling a thick book from a stack and jamming it into a cloth bag while his eyes searched for anything else he might require.
"Common Room." Blaise answered softly, eyes narrowing as he looked at the title of the second book vanishing into the bag.

"What do you think you're going to do?" He demanded. The grip on his wand adjusted as he prepared for a possible battle with his Head of House.
"Whatever I have too." The Potions Master muttered quietly, his wand flicking in a quick and effortless maneuver. Blaise never saw the spell coming.

Standing frozen in the door way, he pointed his wand while his mouth hung open. Striding past the young wizard, Severus stopped and pushed him further into his private chambers, wincing as Blaise's still form tipped over and crashed into the ground. "And don't touch anything while I'm gone." He growled before tugging the door shut and stalking towards the Slytherin Common Room.

"Well if this isn't a surprise." A cold voice drawled. Damian raised his head and curled his lips as he glared at the Death Eater peering into the cell. Snarling in outrage at his treatment and the situation, he lunged and sank lethal claws into the thick wood of the door. Hissing loudly, his tail lashed and his ears flattened to his head as he circled the cell, eyes remaining locked on the masked face staring at him.

"My daughter was supposed to catch my Lord a Dragon but instead she brought him a panther. I have no doubt he'll be pleased. He's been looking for you for a very long time Mister Potter." The Death Eater said softly, eyes following the panther's movements. Roaring in anger, the panther slammed into the door and spat into the wizards face. Spittle flew and clung to his fangs as he snapped at the taunting features before him..

"Poor little kitten. Don't worry about your traitorous lover; I'm sure he'll be joining you in death." The Death Eater laughed as he slammed the small window closed on the large cat's nose. Lurching back, Damian hissed in pain and lashed out. Claws carving deep lines in the wood. Head low and eyes glittering with hate and pain, the panther began a slow stalk back and forth, waiting impatiently for the moment he would face the person who had put him there.

-

The Great Hall was packed with students, all looking around and whispering loudly. The students had been gathered into the large Hall as soon as it had been confirmed. Harry Potter was missing from Hogwarts. He hadn't been amusing himself with the Gryffindors, nor was he on the Quidditch pitch.

Hagrid hadn't seen hide nor hair of him since his last visit and no one had seen him chasing ravens in the courtyard. Whispers and whimpers flew as the professors watched the final lock snap closed on the almost impenetrable doors. Each thunk and thud reverberating through the room.

"Silence please." Dumbledore exclaimed, hands rising in a shushing movement as he peered down at the students. "I'm afraid I must inform you that Harry Potter has gone missing. We believe he has been captured by the Dark lord." Cries and shouts erupted from the students as they glanced about in apparent fear and disbelief.

All eyes searched the hall for the one student who would be able to verify if the-boy-who-lived had indeed gone missing. Draco Malfoy sat at the Slytherin table, eyes red and hair mussed as he stared at the top of the table before him. Blaise, sporting a scowl and a bloody nose rested next to him glaring at Professor Snape who was frantically turning pages of a small tome at the Head Table.

"As some of you may have noticed, there are several individuals present who don't belong here. These Aurors were brought in for added safety and protection should Hogwarts be attacked. Until I have further information I would like you to all remain quiet and study or amuse yourselves, just remember to play nicely." Stepping from the dais the older wizard moved to stand over the grimacing Potions Master.

"Well?" The old wizard asked, tugging on his beard and watching the students shifting restlessly around the hall.
"Well what?" Professor Snape snapped back, curling his lip and pulling the book closer. Shaking his head in obvious disgust he went back to searching the book for answers.

Shrugging his shoulders, the old wizard wandered off, perhaps he'd play a game of exploding snap with aseveral of first years.

-

Draco stared at the dark wood beneath his hands, fingers tracing a small gash in the wood. Blaise was grumbling about Severus' rude treatment of him. Draco wiped at his face with one hand, his eyes stung and his chest ached.

He ignored the stares and whispers that surrounded him, knowing that many were about him. He didn't want people's condolences or their whispers of assistance should he but ask for it. His Harry was out there somewhere and he didn't know where. His hand rose and he whispered his fingers over the small silver bell dangling hopefully from its chain, the soft tinkle calling him, pleading and urging with him to call his familiars name. His hand closed tightly around the bell and he opened his mouth.

-

Damian snarled and thrashed his head as he struggled against the thick chain attached to his collar. The Death Eater chuckled and jerked on the thick metal, grinning as the panther hissed in pain and lunged forward attempting to swipe at his tormentor. Rough voices spoke back and forth but the cat was blind to everything.

He had been resting in a corner when the door swung open, a dirty blanket tossed over his head quickly followed by a torrent of spells as they sought to restrain him. The magic had been deflected by the charm around his collar, spells simply dissolving as soon as they touched his coat.

The blanket had been wrapped tightly around his head, forcing him to gasp in deep breathes of air in an effort to keep his lungs inflated. He had been equally unprepared for the force of several heavy bodies landing on top of him while a pair of chains were attached to his collar.

Roaring in outrage, he threw himself backwards and clawed at the chain. Head smashing against a wall in reckless abandon as he sought his freedom. The spittle clinging to his fangs was traced with blood, one fang chipped by a severe blow to the muzzle. Rumbling angrily, he sprang forward and jerked to the right.

The Death Eater behind him was flung off balance, stumbling and falling to his knees beside the panther. Fangs closed and locked through cloth, attempting to maintain the death grip while keeping the other Death Eater from further injuring him.

A boot smashed into his already tender muzzle, forcing him to lose the grip he had fought to earn. Quivering in pain and anger, he lay gasping on the floor. The chains tightened once again and he felt himself pulled across rough stone.

The small pebbles and dips in the floor dragging and ripping at his velvet hide. Clenching his fangs, he crawled to his feet and slowly limped forward, ignoring the whisper taunts and threats as he moved forwards. His magic bubbled and boiled but he decided it was best to save his strength. They would need it in the hours ahead.

-

The smell of lavender slapped Draco in the face. His mouth snapped closed and he pushed away from the bench. Eyes widening as he attempted to place the familiar smell. Jerking his head around, he observed the students crowded about the Great Hall.

The scent tickled at his senses, seeming to grow stronger every minute. Inhaling deeply, he winced as his brain was flooded with information. His magic purred to life, swirling and shifting as it pushed at him. Confused, he opened his mouth to speak with Blaise but shuddered and stumbled. Something crawled within him, clawing to escape.

Shaking his head he stared into the questioning eyes of his godfather as the older wizard appeared next to him.
"Draco, what's wrong?" Severus demanded, ignoring the gasps and startled cries of students watching the situation unfold. Draco shook his head and pulled away from Severus, nose leading him on.

He froze as the smell intensified, pierced with the strong smell of liquor. Reaching out he placed a hand on the shoulder of the female standing before him. When the she spun, around he found himself face to face with Pansy Parkinson.

"You?" He hissed, eyes blazing in anger. "What did you do?" Pansy shrieked and struggled to back up but found herself halted by a circle of students, all baring the crest and colours of Slytherin.
"Nothing! I didn't do anything!" She squealed, struggling against the hands trying to trap her. Draco bellowed in outrage, eyes glowing softly as he stalked forward.

Blaise trailed Draco as he stumbled across the hall, surprised when Severus brushed by him. Smiling evilly he raised one foot and brought it down on the older wizard's cloak, frowning when the ripping sound failed to incite a reaction. Grumbling over his failed attempt at revenge he rushed after Draco and Severus, halting when Draco spun Pansy around and began to yell at her.

His eyes widened in shock when Draco began to prowl towards the panicked witch. It seemed like everything slowed for a moment before a flash and a surge of power knocked students and professors off their feet.

"We're all going too die!" A third year Hufflepuff whimpered loudly in his ear as he struggled to push her off him. Grimacing as her hands locked into the expensive collar of his cloak, he struggled frantically to loosen her grip. The low snarl had a hush falling across the hall. Blaise sat up slowly and peered in the direction of the sound, voicing his own whimper at the sight that met his eyes.

A leopard crouched in the center of the hall. Its eyes blazed a crystalline blue as he stared at the sobbing witch before him. His coat was the palest of gold, almost silver under the bright light emitted by the dozens of hovering candles. Black spots dotted the shining silver, making the large cat appear even more dangerous.

Shifting, the leopard began a hunting glide. Ears swiveling as its long tail flicked rhythmically. Around its neck a silver bell sang softly with every precise movement. Hissing softly, the leopard gave one last stride before lunging. Fangs sank deep into the pale arm raised in a hopeless effort to ward the large animal off. Shaking its head, it tore deep into the flesh and bone. Growling, it loosed its prey and glared at the witches and wizards pointing wands at it.

"Calm down Draco...uh cat, um big cat." Professor Snape whispered, wand leveled at the slathering beast. The leopard growled and buried its claws deep into flesh, purring at the shrill scream of pain that erupted from Pansy. Snape shook his head and watched the leopard drop its head and sink fangs slowly into the witch's throat.

Raising his wand he flung a spell at the leopard, jerking in surprise when the panther leapt nimbly out of the way. Hissing at being deprived of its prey, the cat prowled back and forth unhappily. Pausing suddenly it raised its muzzle and called loudly, the cry making everyone cringe in fear.

Ears twitched as the cat glanced around, whiskers curved forward as the leopard called again. Severus shuddered at the cry, each note seeming to tug and pull at him, made him feel the he should do something to ease the animals suffering. With one last roar, the leopard vanished with a pop and a flash. Staring at the spot the leopard had stood, he stumbled forward when someone slapped him on the back.

"Magnificent! A Leopard, can you believe it? You must be so proud!" Blaise whooped in his face, clutching one of his hands and shaking it roughly. Staring blankly at the excited face of the younger wizard, he could only frown slightly, a leopard indeed.
"What do you think we should call him? I mean I personally would go with Spot but I don't think that's something Draco would like." Blaise muttered thoughtfully, staring at the bleeding witch sprawled out on the floor before them. Severus shook his head and wondered what he was going to tell Lucius.

Chapter 29 – The Love of A Panther

The pale leopard landed with a thud. Dropping into a crouch, ears and whiskers twitched as the large cat sought the scent of its mate. Crawling forward with his nose above the ground, Dorian sniffed delicately before shaking his head.

Growling a low threat, the cat shifted and slid into the shadows, inhaling deeply as the scent of Damian and fresh blood filled his nostrils. Shifting uneasily the leopard glided towards the door, head low and tail held straight out behind him. Soft paws carried him quietly across the cell, disturbing not a particle of dust as he eased to a halt next to the heavily clawed wood.

The door rested open, allowing him to peer around and down the hall before slipping carefully from the cell, pausing only once to rub his cheek along the edge of the door. Prowling down the dark corridor, the leopard raised its muzzle and called softly.

Tail flicking as he waited, he dropped his nose and sniffed deeply, ignoring the stale smells in favour of the fresh. His head jerked up and his ears cocked forward, all senses straining to hear the low cry reverberating down the hall.

With a snap the bond shimmered to life, all parts coming to the fore. Emotions and thoughts swam through his skull before his own magic caught them. Straining against the feelings, Dorian searched through his mind before finding the glowing ball that contained his magic. Inwardly concentrating, the leopard watched the magic surge and glide along the bond, every piece promising full power.

Rumbling to himself, Dorian called out mentally but received a backwash of emotion rather then words. Pain, fear, hope, love, all calling and demanding he aid his bonded immediately. Shaking his head, the leopard curled his lips before throwing his muzzle back and yowling, the sound reverberating down the dark halls. Slinking into the darkness, Dorian began the hunt for his mate.

Professor Severus Snape crouched next to the writhing form of Pansy Parkinson. His hands trying to pin her still so Madame Pomfrey could administer potions and spells to stop the bleeding and repair damage. The tears and gashes were deep, a steady stream of blood soaking into the floor around them. Students cowered against the walls, some looking very green as they watched the professors try and heal the rogue Slytherin.

"Never in all my life..." Madame Pomfrey muttered. "Look at this, I mean even with the strongest of spells there is no way I can heal this completely. She'll have scars the rest of her life."
"Did you know he could do that?" Professor McGonagall demanded, wincing as Pansy squealed in pain as the professors hand slipped across a long cut.

"No, Draco has never achieved his animagus form." Severus growled, rising and wiping his blood-smeared hands on the dark cloak he wore. Striding away from the gathering of teachers he dropped down into a chair at the Head Table and conjured himself a glass of brandy. Swirling the amber liquid in its glass, he looked down at the book he had been reading before the leopard incident.

His finger traced the title before he flipped the book open and began turning the stained pages. Dark eyes narrowed as he slid a finger down a list of words. Each spell read off mentally before halting at the one he had been looking for.

Chewing his lip, he flipped to the bond detection spell and traced his finger down the list of bonds and the colour they were represented by. Gold. He closed his eyes and sat back in the chair, hand tightening on the glass. Gold represented the very rare and almost impossible to achieve Shared Animagus Bond.

Opening his eyes he flipped quickly to the index and then to the directed page. Three measly sentences. Slamming the book shut he raised his glass and took a long consoling sip. A pair of leopards he thought with a slight smile, Voldemort definitely wouldn't be expecting that.

Damian snarled weakly, forepaws braced on one of the steps the Death Eaters were trying to drag him up. His long tail lashed the air in fury and contempt as the collar cut into his throat. The distant roar had him fighting once again, hope rising with the call and the surge of magic riding the bond.

Hissing, he swung a paw blindly. The Death Eater pulling on the chain before him started cursing and the cool rush of blood against his toes had him rumbling in satisfaction.
"Damn beast!" The Death Eater howled, dropping the chain and obviously clutching whatever body part Damian had managed to injure.

The panther thrashed his head, the loose chain slamming into the ground and walls. A blow to the head had him stumbling into a wall. Sliding to the ground, the panther lay still. Blood dripped from numerous wounds scattered across his once velvety coat.

In other spots his fur stood stiff, blood having dried already leaving the rich fur marred. Lying on the cool stone, his ears picked up the soft tread of another animal. Whiskers tried to assist in the search but the blanket cut off any vibrations or wind currents that would normally have assisted the panther.

Damian tensed; tail drumming silently against the stone floor in fear.
"Did you hear something?" The second Death Eater whispered. The other ignored the question and continued to nurse the wound dealt to him by the panther. A low growl had both swearing softly and drawing their wands, eyes searching the darkness for whatever was stalking them.

Damian called sharply, a deep huffing noise that echoed in the small area. The quiet surrounding them was broken by a low growl, shadows shifting slowly as if unprepared to give up their secrets.

Dorian stalked quietly through the shadows, his full concentration on tracking his mate. A sharp call had him responding and picking up speed, trotting quietly down halls. The darkness aided his cause, casting shadows along the walls just dark enough to conceal his movements.

His pale blue eyes narrowed suddenly, body sliding into a hunting glide. Belly low to the ground; tail flicking gently as he stalked forward. Each paw was placed carefully as the leopard crept forward, eyes locked on the scene before him. He growled softly at the smell of fear and blood radiating from the three figures ahead of him.

Tensing suddenly he lunged. His movements were fast and precise, each claw piercing deep while fangs punctured without remorse. The second death eater lay silent on the ground, his spine snapped with a careful flick of the cat's head.

The first struggled against the fangs locked around his throat. Hands pushing weakly against the cats pale chest, while his wand rolled to a stop next to the panther waiting patiently on the floor. The leopard's fierce eyes watched as the wizards jerking movements halted, hands sliding away from the animals fur and dropping lifelessly to the floor.

Dorian loosed his prey and moved to the side of the Black Panther, ignoring the thud of the Death Eater's skull as it connected with the hard stone floor. Purring happily, his tongue gave a gash on the panther's side a few consolatory licks before moving to the blanket wrapped tightly around his mates head.

Damian lay still, waiting for his mate to free him. A sharp tearing sound had fresh air caressing his sore muzzle quickly followed by the brush of fur. At the first touch of his mate's muzzle, Damian broke into deep a deep rumbling purr. Rolling onto his back, he captured the leopard's head between gentle paws and began to clean the blood from the pale fur with long swipes of his tongue.

Sniffing and rubbing muzzles, Damian and Dorian cuddled for a moment before the panther pulled away and struggled to his paws. The chains attached to his collar jangled loudly as he shifted, both cats froze at the sound, ears swiveling as they listened for approaching Death Eaters. Growling unhappily, he contemplated their current situation. Reaching out mentally, the bond snapped into place with a ripple of power. Humming with magic both large cats peered at each other before bringing their telepathic bond to life.

You're all right? Dorian demanded, ears and whiskers twitching constantly as his senses worked to prevent possible discovery.
Fine, just a little sore. Damian whispered, pushing his head against Dorian's. The sound of approaching voices had both freezing as they peered into the surrounding darkness.

Damn, come on. Dorian hissed, sliding into the shadows. The loud clinking of the chain had the leopard whirling. A rush of magic had the chains dissolving and vanishing with a whisper from Damian. Both cats dove into the darkness, soft paws allowing them to slide down the black hall without discovery.

Damian rested his head along Dorian's flank, allowing the other cat to guide him through the dungeons. The shouts and pounding of feet sent the massive felines scurrying down a narrow hall, bodies low to the ground and ears flat to their heads. Pausing at an intersection between several halls, the leopard stopped and raised his head, nose delicately testing the dank air.

Damian lowered himself to the floor, legs and head aching from the treatment he had received.
This way. Dorian growled, pacing down a short hall and peering anxiously up a set of twisting stairs. We should be able to find a way out once we get upstairs. His icy eyes fell upon Damian, taking in the panther's weakened state. Moving silently, he dropped down next to the panther and snuggled close, head resting on the dark fur. The panther lowered his own head to his forepaws, taking a few minutes to rest before they proceeded up into the heart of the castle.

-

Hermione sat silently at the Gryffindor table, surrounded by her fellow housemates. None of them could really comprehend what had just occurred. She loosed the breath she had been holding and glanced down the table. Dean and Seamus were staring into space, both of them ignoring the plates of food sitting before them.

Her own plate was untouched, the memory and smell of blood lingering in the air around the hall. Hermione looked at the spot on the floor, blood slowly staining the light stone where Pansy had been lying up until a few minutes ago.

Not one spell the teachers had attempted to use would clean the stone. She had her own theories about its reluctance to be cleaned. The castle was displeased about what had occurred within its walls. Hogwarts was reputed for the safety it provided to its students, and yet several students had almost been killed in the great hall.

Chances were the blood would remain there for the rest of the castles life if either Draco or Harry died. Silence blanketed the hall, all students pondering where Harry was and if they would ever see the bonded pair again.

-

Dorian stood slowly, blue eyes sliding over the sleeping panther resting at his paws. Rumbling softly, he lowered his muzzle and nipped Damian lightly on the side of the head. Emerald eyes slid open and the panther yawned widely, displaying sharp fangs as he rose stiffly.

The leopard lashed his tail and prowled down the hall towards the stairs, the panther trailing closely. At the bottom of the stairs, they paused, eyes peering searchingly into the shadowed stairwell. Taking one last look down the hall, the pale cat shifted and began to climb up the stairs, each paw flexing slightly before it touched the stair.
Damian leapt and landed next to Dorian, ears cocked as he stared fiercely into the eyes of his mate.

Bumping noses with the panther, the leopard continued the long climb, every noise freezing the pair in place. Pupils dilated as they grew closer to the dull light above them, ears and noses twitching at the scents overwhelming their senses. A sharp yell had both jerking their heads, peering down into the dark where a figure stood pointing up at them.

The leopard whirled about and lunged, yowling loudly as he drove his fangs into the wizard's jugular. Gurgling, the wizard fell backwards beneath the animal's weight. Releasing his grip, Dorian launched himself up the stairs, hindquarters powering him up with every stride.

Damian was already standing at the top of the stairs, tail lashing and snarling at a pack of Death Eaters all brandishing wands. Panther and leopard stood side-by-side, ears tucked tight to their skulls as they curled their lips and snarled. Spittle flew and the cats swung large paws tipped with dagger like claws. Without further thought they sprang forward into battle.

-

Pansy sat in a chair in the office of the head master. Her throat was sore from where the massive leopard had torn into her flesh. She winced as she ran her fingers along the wound. Madame Pomfrey had been able to stop the bleeding and heal the cuts but her fingers could still trace where the skin was paler and raised.

Pansy stood and limped slowly towards a mirror hanging on a crowded wall. Her eyes took in the scars where the leopard's jaws had closed.
"Ah, Miss Parkinson. If you would please have a seat?" The Head Master's voice filled the room as he entered quietly. His bright yellow robes contrasting with the deep Gryffindor red that swathed the chamber. Pansy moved slowed to the proffered chair, sitting down and folding her hands in her lap.

"After everything that has occurred here today, I'm afraid I can no longer allow you to remain in my school. I took the liberty of contacting your father; he'll be here to get you soon. Once you're off school property, the Aurors may arrest you if they see fit. For now you remain under my protection. I wish it had never come to this Miss Parkinson but we all make mistakes. I wish you good luck in all your future endeavors," The old wizard stated, blue eyes somber as he watched the witch before him.

"Thank you sir." Pansy murmured, eyes downcast. With a nod, Dumbledore stood and walked from the room, not bothering to glance back at the witch who may have assisted the dark lord in killing the boy-who-lived.

-

Severus scrambled down the stairs at the front of the castle, the black robes he wore billowing in the cold night wind. His destination was beyond the castle's wards, once there he would be able to apparate to Voldemort's headquarters.

A long pale hand slid into a deep pocket on the robe, fingers wrapping around the small feather that would allow him to portkey back into Hogwarts. This was most likely the only way they would be able to retrieve the bonded pair. Panting from exertion, he pulled the mask over his face and gave one last look at the shining castle behind him before appararting away.

He was soaked in blood. It ran into his eyes, filled his mouth, and made his paws slick. Damian threw back his head and screeched loudly, eyes blazing as he dodged another spell before leaping at the individual who had cast it at him. His jaws closed tightly around the Death Eater's wrist.

Claws buried themselves in the robes, seeking purchase amongst the layers of cloth. Growling low, he loosed his hold and leapt away from the injured man, paws sliding in a pool of blood. The shrieking rasp of the leopard had him snarling in response and jumping over a still body, nose seeking the scent of his mate.

Blood clouded the air, the smell so strong it sent the panther into a frenzy, claws tearing anything that got in his way. A flash of pale fur had him rumbling a low greeting. The two cats stood back-to-back, heads low as they warned the remaining Death Eater's off with hisses and flexing claws.

What do we do? Harry whispered anxiously, lunging forward and sinking fangs into flesh before twisting his muzzle and loosing the bloody hand.
Run, it's the only way we'll get out of this alive. Dorian responded, hissing angrily as a spell ricocheted off the ground before him in a bright explosion.

Yes, which way? He asked, lowering his body to the ground as he batted at a wand pointed shakily in his general direction.
Follow me! Hissed Dorian, lunging forward and knocking a startled Death Eater aside. His paws slid on the wet bloody stones as he raced away from the pack of Death Eaters, the panther close behind him.

The panther and leopard ran down the dark halls, eyes and whiskers searching for a window or door that would allow them to escape outside. Spells flew and bounced around the narrow halls as the pursuing Death Eaters attempted to stop them. Claws skittered across hard wood and marble, both animals' bodies steaming in the cool air as they dodged poorly cast spells.

An open door provided the bonded pair with a place to hide but they had stood panting for only a moment when the door slammed closed before them. Turning slowly, Dorian peered at the mass of Death Eater's standing in front of a large throne. The hall they were in was completely quiet, every eye in the room on them as they stood there.

"What a magnificent entrance, its too bad it will probably the last one you ever make." The voice was cold as a figure slowly walked around the shadowed throne, pausing before slowly seating himself. The Death Eater's fell to their knees and bowed to the Dark Lord. "I'm truly surprised at your stupidity young Malfoy. Lucius was unable to train you properly I see, but then again like father like son. I called tonight and all my minions showed up but one. Tell me Draco, where is your father this night?" The leopard snarled sharply in response, tail twitching at the inclination Voldemort was making.

"And you Harry Potter, are you truly so
stupid as to give up the lives and hopes of every witch and wizard in this world for your own pleasure. Will you die tonight, not for them but for the love you have for this traitor?" Voldemort settled back in his throne as the panther roared in rage, emerald eyes glowing fiercely.

"Hm, since I can't speak cat, why don't we put my little theory to a test? McNabb, kill the leopard." A low hum rose in the air as the Death Eaters whispered among themselves. A dark figure moved forward and pointed a wand at Dorian. The leopard made to spring out of the way, but a blur of black fur flew by him and impacted with the robed figure, fangs tearing through cloth and into flesh without thought to safety.

Damian! Dorian screamed, eyes closing as muffled words were followed by an explosion of green. The panther's body flew through the air before slamming into the ground and rolling to a stop. The leopard yowled loudly, eyes focused on the limp panther lying lifeless in the center of the hall. With a roar of outrage, the pale cat whirled around and attacked.

Chapter 30 - Together Again

Severus stalked swiftly up the stairs leading into the dark mansion Voldemort had claimed as his headquarters. Silence hung over the sprawling manor. The massive castle like structure was pitch black, the stone seeming to consume the moonlight. He pushed one of the doors open quietly and stepped into the large entrance hall.

His eyes immediately searched for the guard that should have been waiting in the shadows. Sighing in relief, he began a quiet glide down one of the halls, every noise making him halt and pray he would remain undiscovered. Candles flickered along the walls, creating ample shadows for figures to hide in.

Moving silently, he slipped into one of the rooms and gasped as he was grabbed and thrown to the ground. His wand clattered loudly in the emptiness of the room. The dark figure standing above him glared down, eyes the colour of ice meeting those of onyx.

"I see you failed to do as I asked." Lucius Malfoy purred softly, the tip of his cane resting firmly against Severus' throat.
"I tried but the bond was too strong. It's developed a new facet, the Shared Animagus Bond." Severus gasped out, one hand rising to clutch at the cane slowly burying itself deeper into his throat. "It's the rarest form of bond, the type of magic it develops through is unknown."

"I don't really care how rare it is. I wanted my son free. Now he's running around this place with the Dark Lord's nemesis. Do you really think he'll survive something like that?" Lucius growled, leaning on the snake headed cane, his dark robes swirling around him.

"Harry will protect him." Severus snarled, one hand beginning the search for his wand while the other remained locked around the cane. His mind raced as he peered into the cold eyes of death.

"I can tell you who gave them the portkey. If Harry hadn't discovered it first it would have been Draco." Severus offered, knowing that the one thing Malfoys understood was revenge. Lucius's eyes flickered before one pale eyebrow rose.

"I believe it was Pansy Parkinson." Lucius hissed angrily, his fingers whitening as his grip increased. "Give me something useful Severus."
"In my right pocket there's a portkey that will take us directly back to Hogwarts." Severus gasped, immediately drawing in a deep breath as the cane was withdrawn in one smooth movement.

"Excellent. Let's go and find my heir then, shall we?" Lucius murmured, fingers smoothing the thick black robes. Swirling around he glided out the door, pausing only once to glance back at Severus. Severus grumbled in annoyance as his fingers closed around his wand. Why did Malfoys always have to make a grand exit?

-

The large leopard skittered across the floor, his nails biting into the hard stone. Shaking his head, Dorian snarled and slowly climbed to his paws. The pale cat hung his head and panted softly, eyes glinting dangerously as he stared at the mocking form standing before him. His nose quivered at the strong smell of blood wafting around the room. The Dark Lord smirked at the leopards exhaustion, his pleasure in the death of the panther almost tangible.

"Are you going to cry?" Voldemort cooed, his fingers running lazily up the length of his wand. Several Death Eater's chuckled but even more sucked in deep breaths and pressed themselves into the concealing shadows.

The leopard rumbled angrily, his eyes glittered dangerously as he began a slow gliding pace across the blood covered stones. Silver fur shone brightly beneath the candlelight, marred only by small flecks of blood. His mouth hung open, flashing his sharp incisors to the room as he drew in short gasps of air, his velvet fur dampening with sweat. He drew back his lips and snarled as he stalked around the body of the panther, tail lashing angrily.

Pausing suddenly, Dorian swivelled his ears and tipped his head. Voices whispered softly through his mind urging him on before he lost his life forever. Draco was too deep in sorrow to comprehend the voices, his mind focused on the death of Harry.

The leopard understood in a primal way what he had to do. With a low growl he prowled towards the dark lord, his eyes shining brightly. Paws carried him around the body of his mate and on towards what could be his death.

-

Severus slid along a wall, pausing behind Lucius as the former Death Eater stopped suddenly. The rush of footsteps racing towards them had both readying their wands as the approaching figure drew closer. The shadows concealed the Death Eater, candles creating small pools of light through which he passed.

In a flurry of dark robes, he swept by them without even glancing in their direction. Severus let out the long breath he had been holding and followed Lucius who was once again walking stealthily down the hall. The blonde Death Eater halted, his robes swinging gently before settling to hang naturally about his ankles. Severus arrived and set a hand on Lucius' shoulder, following the pale eyes to the stones beneath their feet.

"What is it?" Severus hissed sharply, eyes darting down the hall as Lucius dropped to one knee. The long pale finger ran slowly through the thick liquid coating the floor, eyes peered closely at the dark substance. Under the pale candlelight the viscous liquid was black but both could smell the strong coppery scent that heralded fresh blood.

"Blood." Lucius murmured, stating what both had already assumed but had been unable to accept. His fingers swiped along the edge of his robes, smearing the blood into the thick fabric, rising smoothly he looked over his shoulder at Severus. "We may already be too late. There's more blood here then generally contained within the human body. Whatever this blood belonged to is already dead."

"This doesn't mean anything. We knew they'd fight and I have first hand knowledge that either one of those animals can cause severe damage. It's likely from the missing guards." Severus whispered, his eyes searching over the bloody floor. Pools of the dark liquid lay everywhere, small drops splattered along the walls while trickling streams had begun to traverse the hall; gliding along the small cracks between the stones and creating an interlocking web of blood.

"I think you're right." Lucius growled from where he stood peering into a small alcove. Brushing back the concealing curtain, Severus' stomach rolled at the sight before him. Between the blood on the floor and that slowly dripping from the still fingers, it did seem likely that both panther and leopard were unharmed.

Letting the curtain fall slowly back into place, Severus whirled around and stalked after Lucius's prowling back, his brain still feeding him pictures of the dead Death Eaters left to rot in a forgotten corner of the massive manor.

-

The pale cat shrieked in outrage as a slash appeared along his side, the wound running with blood. Leaping neatly to the side he avoided the next spell that was flung at him, growing madder by the minute as Voldemort continued to toy with him. A spell impacted with his left flank, the force of it sending him careening into a wall of Death Eaters.

Small stars sparked behind his eyes as he shook his head, the consuming darkness attempting to swallow him. Blood running down his throat from where his fangs had clipped his lip, he slowly hauled himself up, wavering as a wave of dizziness struck him. Growling half-heartedly, the big leopard lunged once again, his aching muscles driving him forwards. Voldemort threw back his head and laughed, wand already rising to cast another spell.

"As entertaining as this is, I've got other things I need to be doing this night." Voldemort chuckled, his soulless eyes glittering. His wand rose slowly and gave a flick, his pale lips whispering the one spell all animagi feared. "Animagus reverto!"
The silver coated leopard fell back, his lean body convulsing in pain. Magic shuddered through the room as the conversion began.

Draco rose slowly from the floor, hands gripping his sides as fire chewed at his innards. Choking back a yelp of pain, he narrowed his eyes and straightened his body, standing tall before the most feared wizard in the world. The black cloak and expensive robes he had worn to lunch with Harry were torn and stained with blood.

"Afraid yet?" Voldemort asked, smirking at the pain he had caused, his wand resting limply in his fingers. Draco looked around the room, his eyes resting on the still panther for a moment. Pale orbs shimmered with pain. Ignoring the Death Eaters and Voldemort, he moved back towards his mate and dropped to his knees next to the limp panther.
His hand skimmed over dark velvet as memories of the past week ran through his head. He closed his eyes tightly in an attempt to stop the tears from sliding down his face. A feather light touch brushed his mind, a soft voice whispered lovingly to him as he clung to Damian.

Take it. Draco gasped at the simple words, mind racing to understand. The internal caress began to fade and he panicked, his own mind stretching along the path in an attempt to capture and hold it to him.
Take what? Draco demanded, fingers digging into the panthers soft fur. The voice laughed at his question.

Anything you need, all of it if it will end this. The voice replied, assurance reinforcing the offer. Draco bit his lip puzzling over the response.
"As touching as this little scene is, I really have something important to do tonight." The Dark Lord growled, angered at being ignored for so long. Draco raised his head slowly, face darkening as his conversation was rudely interrupted.

Alright. He whispered mentally, eyes still locked on Voldemort. Happiness swam around his head, joy that he had decided to trust the foreign voice. The blast ran through him suddenly, power slamming into him and completely flooding his body. Draco screamed in pain as fire traced its way up his spine, so much power trying to find a place to rest. His magic core shuddered, pulsing with every surge and wave that struck him.

Love you. The voice whispered, a brush against his face and the magic began to retreat. Slowing, settling, it stilled inside him. He gasped for breath as the magic tickled against his thoughts, begging him to use it. Smiling slowly, he rose from where he was crouched next to Damian.

-

Severus stepped over the body of a downed Death Eater, his dark eyes avoiding the mangled throat. Lucius was floating along before him, robes billowing out as he rushed down another hall. It seemed like the damn house kept growing more rooms, no matter how many halls they peered down or the number of doors they threw open, Voldemort and his Death Eaters remained missing.

Severus swore as he stumbled, arms swinging in an attempt to catch himself before he made contact with the floor.
His breath rushed out as he landed hard, swearing softly as he scratched his hands on the uneven stone. Glaring down at the offending floor, his eyes widened as he looked at the bloody paw print inches from his knee.

"Lucius?" He called softly, eyes searching desperately for another mark. He smirked to himself as his eyes traced over a paw print slightly to the left of the other, smaller but just as bloody as the first.
"What?" Lucius demanded peering around a corner. His robes swished in annoyance as he turned to look at the Potions Master, crawling along the floor behind him. "What are you doing?" He hissed.

"There's paw prints here, two sets. Why aren't we following them?" Severus asked as he slowly traced a neat circle around the mark. Lucius moved to crouch next to him, icy eyes glaring at the paw print.

"A Malfoy would never lower himself to crawling around on the floor like a common mudblood. Besides the dead Death Eaters were much more visible." Lucius muttered, standing and brushing the dirt off his robes. Severus rolled his eyes and swiped at his thick hair, pushing it back over his shoulder.

The masks they wore were extremely hot, sweat trickling down his forehead and being absorbed by the silk lining the inside of the mask. Groaning to himself, he was about to take off after Lucius when it struck.
Power slammed into him, pushing him back into the wall and pinning him there.

Lucius was thrown to the floor ahead of him, the magic rushing down the corridor and leaving them both gasping for breath in its wake. One hand resting against his throat, Severus dropped his head against the wall and wondered who'd talked him into this before remembering he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart. And it was the last time that would ever happen.

He radiated power. It swam through his blood and glittered in his eyes. Draco stepped slowly over the body of the panther, his entire being focused on the creature before him. Magic rippled around the room, sending robes fluttering and candles cowering in their holders. His cloak blew out behind him, tugged by the magic wafting off him.

Raising his wand slowly, Voldemort smiled, "I believe its time you joined the once sainted Potter." Draco smiled slightly at the threat, he had nothing left to live for. His life lay behind him on the floor. If killing Tom Marvolo Riddle was Harry's last wish, then he would do it.

"What have I too fear from you?" Draco asked softly, the robes he wore shivering in the magical breeze. His wand was held lightly between his fingers, the wood warm and worn from use. Blonde hair shifted as if invisible fingers had run through the perfect locks.

Blue eyes fell to the silver band circling his finger, a promise he would always keep. Raising his eyes, he gave the famed Malfoy smirk. "Are you going to come out and play or send some more of your little soldiers? I must say they are getting boring, no tact or skill. Perhaps you'll provide a challenge worthy of a true pureblooded wizard."

"You'll wish I had killed you first when I get done with you." The Dark Lord snarled, eyes narrowing on the younger wizard standing before him. Raising his wand, Voldemort smiled before pointing his wand at Draco. The pale wizard remained perfectly still, his eyes shifting to follow the movement of the wand pointing at him.

"Avada Kedavra!" Lord Voldemort yelled, the dark green magic shooting from his wand. Draco closed his eyes as he felt his magic react, the thick silver mist reaching out and halting the ball of green fire. He hissed in pain as he opened his eyes, gripping his wand tightly and trying to focus his entire being on pushing the death spell back onto Voldemort. His hair stirred with the force of the magical impact. The silver and green swirled, testing and trying to overpower the other magic. Draco balled his hands into fists as he watched the green slowly press the silver backwards, forcing itself closer to him.

Now. The distant voice whispered through his mind. Draco nodded slightly before reaching inside himself and drawing on the raw magic resting dormant Green leaked slowly from his wand, entwining itself around the struggling silver. With a mere thought, the two magics merged and glowed brightly.

In an explosion of raw power, the Unforgivable was pushed back. The magical rush slamming the death spell back onto Voldemort. A shrieking scream and the flash of magics imploding had Draco stumbling back. Magic crashed around the room, free to do as it wished. Death Eaters were tossed aside by the magic, some grabbing their throats as pure magic replaced air in their lungs. Flashes and small explosions had everyone in the room seeing stars, unable to flee the room due to the thick silver magic swirling around them.

Draco raised a hand as a ball of silver and green sped towards him, his head seemed to explode as the power he had released returned, seeking its user unerringly. He felt the bond between Harry and him pulse wildly, magic thundering along the many little paths, tracing its way ever closer to his magical core.

With a low cry he fell backwards, landing on top of Damian as darkness consumed him, unaware of the flash of emerald orbs and the sharp inhalation. The hall surrendered to blackness as the final wisps of magic sent candles sputtering in their holders, small trails of smoke gliding upward from the smothered flames.

-

"Lumos." Severus whispered into the darkness of the hall. His eyes slowly adjusted to the dim light. Sweeping his wand around before him, he looked down at the pale stones. Cracks and char marks ran across them, sickly fingers leading him closer to the scene of death. His eyebrows rose as he peered at a pile of ash, unable to distinguish what it was. Turning around he looked for Lucius, following the ball of pale bouncing light as it made its way around the room.

"There all dead." Lucius announced, his voice dry as he nudged the limp body of a Death Eater lying sprawled on the floor.
"I can see that." Snapped severus, glowering at the other wizard. Shaking his head, he peered into a corner but froze when he heard a low rasping sound. Waving a finger to silence the tirade Lucius was beginning, he listened carefully, every noise seeming louder then it really was.

The dragging gasps led him towards a heap on the floor. Dropping to his knees he held his wand above the figures, sucking in a horrified gasp as he peered at an unconscious Draco. His hand trembled as he checked the young wizards pulse, eyes closing in relief when the slow steady beat leapt beneath his fingers.

Moving quickly, he rested a hand on the panthers side, sitting back when a low grunt emerged from the large cats muzzle. Leaning over he peered into half opened eyes. Severus sat back and looked up into the anxious eyes of Lucius, nodding his head to tell the other both boys were still alive.

With a smirk, Severus pulled the portkey from his pocket and held it up triumphantly before placing a hand on Damian, watching as Lucius settled a hand on the top of Draco's head before grasping part of the feather. With a loud snap, all four vanished from the manor filled with only death and bad memories.

-

Hermione sat on a window ledge overlooking the lake. Her eyes watched the first flakes of snow fall and dissolve upon the ground. It was surely to early for snow, the weather more mild then usual but it was snowing out. She smiled as a small flake trickled down and landed on her nose, grinning at the quick bite of cold it produced before melting. Sighing she let her head fall back and bit her lip to keep from crying.

They were all right. She supposed that was all that should matter but in a way it saddened her. So much death to reach the point of life and survival. It was a memory that would haunt her for the rest of her life, the sudden yells and banging. By the time the doors had finally been thrown open, Professor Snape and Lucius Malfoy had stood in the doorway, two bodies floating lightly behind them.

They had been rushed to the hospital wing before anyone really got a chance to see them but those who had caught a glance looked very pale.
They had been released from the Great Hall several hours ago, all students immediately fleeing so they could finally have a moment to themselves. Sure, they hadn't been in the same room together very long but after Dumbledore started the sing along everything had just gone downhill.

A loud chorus of laughter had her opening her eyes and peering at the group of students twirling about below her, their faces raised to the falling snow. She had known when the battle was over, as had everyone else. The blood on the floor in the center of the hall had faded slightly but remained where it had been spilled.

In its place two small figures formed, if one concentrated hard enough, they could see the panther and leopard chasing the others tail. Hermione rose slowly and shook out her robes, perhaps she would go and see if Madame Pomfrey would finally allow her in to see Harry and Draco.

-

Draco woke slowly, the blankets beneath him were scratchy and the pillow was overly soft. The low murmur of voices had him wincing slightly and raising a hand to rest against his ear, everything seemed too loud.

Groaning he rolled over and cracked his eyes open, immediately shutting them when sunlight poured into the delicate orbs. His hand drifted from his ear to his eyes, fingers rubbing lightly in apology. The low thud of the hospital door closing had him sighing, the last thing he wanted was some professor or friend trying to hold his hand and telling him nothing was his fault.

His fingers rubbed harder in an effort to stop the tears that were building behind his eyes. A low swish had him going limp, the curtain shifting back into place behind his visitor.
The thought hit him hard. Harry. Harry was gone and there was nothing he could do to bring him back. His teeth sank into his upper lip as he fought back a sob. He wasn't supposed to live. He was supposed to be with Harry.

The first tears traced a path down his cheek. A light touch against his cheek had his eyes opening. His eyes shone with tears as they stared into merry emerald orbs.
"Boo." The word was whispered ever so softly.

"Harry!" He gasped, right before his open hand slammed into his mates cheek. The crack echoed through the empty hospital wing, quieting the murmur of voices. "I swear on all that is magical if you ever die on me again I'll pull your whiskers out, one by one."

"Sorry." Grumbled Harry, fingering his reddening cheek. Draco's face split into a grin as he reached out and grabbed Harry by the ears, dragging him closer. Staring into each others eyes, they leaned closer, lips brushing softly before the kiss deepened. Tongues brushed and teeth nibbled before a sharp voice pulled them a part.

"Mister Potter! I thought I told you I didn't want to see you in here again before lunch." Madame Pomfrey instructed, her fingers locking into the collar of Harry's school robe and pulling him away from Draco. Harry began to make an excuse but was shushed as the door flew open and Professor Snape entered in a flurry of dark robes.

"A moment alone with my godson if you would." Severus muttered, eyes watching the younger wizards.
"Of course Severus." Madame Pomfrey exclaimed, dragging a complaining Harry from the room behind her. A slight flick of fingers was the only parting their were allowed before the door once again slammed closed.

-

Severus watched his godson carefully, searching for any sign of weakness or fatigue. Draco looked fine to him, slightly annoyed at having been parted from Harry once again but other then that perfectly healthy.
"How are you feeling?" He questioned, reaching out and pressing a cool hand against Draco's forehead.
"I'm fine." Draco grunted unhappily, crossing his arms over his chest. Severus nodded in satisfaction, removing his hand.

Pacing away from the hospital bed he paused before a window and watched as small flakes of snow patted the glass lightly.
"You should be suffering from an overuse of magic. I have no idea how you're still alive." He whispered softly, recalling the relief he had felt upon feeling Draco's pulse beating beneath his fingers.

"Harry was killed. I saw it with my own eyes, how is he alive?" Draco whispered softly, fingers playing with the ugly hospital blanket draped across his lap.

"I don't really know. It may have been the power surge we experienced, it could have been luck, or perhaps it was love. I have no idea and I don't suppose we'll ever really know what happened in that room. So much happened in that castle, there was so much blood and death I'll be seeing it for the rest of my life." Severus turned and smiled weakly at Draco before nodding farewell and ambling slowly towards the door, halting for a minute to speak softly with the medi-witch before continuing out the door.

-

Draco watched his godfather exit before pulling his blankets back and extending his foot slowly towards the floor. His toe had no more then tapped the stone when Madame Pomfrey's sharp voice ordered him back into bed. No matter how much he complained or pleaded, the older witch was firm on her orders. Sulking angrily, he sank back into the fluffy pillow and stared at the ceiling.

He couldn't help but grin as the door swung open softly. His eyes drifted shut at the deep throbbing purr approaching his bed. Grinning evilly, he gathered his own magic and felt the transformation begin. The power trembled through his body as his bones shifted their shapes.

Stretching his muscles, he leapt from the bed and swung a gentle paw at the head of the panther waiting patiently next to the bed.
"Mister Malfoy! Mister Potter!" Madame Pomfrey shrieked as her eyes glimpsed a quick flick of black vanishing out the window. Rushing across the room, her eyes followed the panther and leopard as they raced towards the Forbidden Forest.

Their coats glistened with good health and you could almost see the sparkle in their eyes. Sighing, she straightened her robes and headed towards the fireplace, she was going to have a little chat with Severus about controlling his house.

In the thick shadows of the Forbidden Forest, a panther bumped his head against the shoulder of a silver leopard.
Love you always.
Love you forever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634K 18.9K 35
Yours is the light by which my spirit's born: - you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars. E.E. Cummings Snarry You have been warned.
99.5K 2.7K 14
make no profit on this story it just some of my work plus some of fanfiction writers as well because the put the wording better than I can do. For 3...
28.1K 749 15
Harry boards the train not knowing how his life will change just by sitting with a certain blond. How will Harry react to the news with Draco. What a...
3.7K 151 11
𝐇𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐀𝐄 was a straight up protagonist from a book. His mother being a well known model while his father being MIA for most of his life. Bei...