My Rowdy Cowboy. (3B Ranch S...

By _Becca_Lynn__

With the eighth anniversary of his twin brother's death during a military detail drawing near, Randy (Rowdy)... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
Epilogue

10

6.4K 375 9
By _Becca_Lynn__

**** Brett walked out of the jail house and left the suspect's interrogation to Nico and the Sheriff. He pulled a thin cigar from a vest pocket and bit off the end. He slid it under his nose and breathed in the scent.

'Mmm.' He thought to himself. He loved the smell of a good cigar. He cupped a match in his hands and lit the end. He barely had the chance to take a deep, satisfying draw when someone snatched it from his hand and threw it on the ground. He saw the barely lit, perfect cigar being crushed under a tiny leather, high heeled boot.

"Those things will kill you, you know!"

He spun around to let the offending woman have a piece of his mind and froze. Patricia Kincaid stood there glaring up at him.

"So... you really are alive?" Trish had been told he was, but to actually see him in the flesh was more than she was prepared for. She was shaken. Trish looked away to take a breath and gather some personal control.

"I don't believe you." She said scornfully. "You've been alive all this time and didn't let anyone know.... Didn't even let me know."

Brett was speechless. This tiny woman that had been haunting his dreams for years. He had convinced himself that he would never see her again. But, there she was - standing before him now. All five foot one of her. She hadn't changed, not one little bit.

"Hello to you too, Tish." He purposely used his old nickname for her.

The young doctor crossed her arms. "Speak for yourself, Mister F... B... I! You got a lot of gall to show up after what you did! You should be ashamed of yourself! I thought I... I thought I... we all thought we meant more to you."

Trish backed up a bit and still had to tilt her head to look at the retired -SEAL's face standing before her. Man, he was still gorgeous - even more so now. Those dark blue eyes held a deep intelligence, (when he chose to use it) the strong jaw and thick black hair. When she was in High School he had been dreamy... but now... all grown up... wow. He had the rugged, masculine, tough-thing going on. She could see the SEAL in those beautiful eyes, but also the years of stress, and bad memories that had settled there, but she wasn't going to think about that. Thinking he was dead had given her plenty of bad memories too.

And good grief... he had to have added some height since the last time she'd seen him. He had to be close to six foot four... the jerk!

Brett crossed his powerful arms and glared down at her. "Are you here to lecture me or just to get on my nerves?"

She glared back at him. "Would either one do me any good?"

He leaned in towards her, "Not... one... bit."

She stuck her nose up in the air then said, "Then do so excuse me for interrupting your attempt to shorten your life with that stogie. Go ahead. Light up another one and puff your health away, see if I care."

And with that, she raised her eyebrows, turned and pranced away to be lost in the crowd while he stood there, staring after her. He lost sight of her momentarily, but he had the advantage of his superior height and found her again. He smiled, chuckled and wondered just what had happened. He raised his eyebrow and watched her stomp into the jail house.

"Hmm. Wonder what she plans on doing in there?"

The thought that she might be stopping in to see a boyfriend didn't set well for some reason.

***

Trish walked into the jail house and waited for the young Deputy to notice her standing there. Deputy Daniel Small Bear smiled and asked if he could help her. Bear looked over from the file cabinet and froze.

He walked over to the desk, "It's ok, Daniel, I'll handle it. Would you save me and finish that filing? Oh, pardon me Trish, where are my manners. Deputy Daniel Small Bear, this is Dr. Patricia Kincaid, she's Yancy's daughter and Rowdy's sister. Trish, this is Daniel Small Bear. He is one of our new up and coming Deputies here. Shows a lot of promise."

The younger man flushed at the praise from his mentor. Trish couldn't help but think of how attractive he was. She had heard from her dad about the young deputy. He had been in the top of his class and showed great promise. He was one of the best and brightest to have earned a degree in law enforcement. The Sheriff, Bear and the reservation were all very proud of him.

"Now, what are you doin' here? Is Rowdy all right?" The worry in Bear's voice touched her.

"Hi, Bear. Its nice to meet you Deputy and Yes, Rowdy's been awake for awhile now and he's actually doing very well. He's going to be fine. Up and around and ornery as ever in no time. I just, umm, had a minute and wanted to see this guy for myself. The one that shot him if I may?"

She smiled at the large man sitting before her and batted her lashes while twirling a lock of hair. Even sitting down Bear was a few inches taller than she was standing.

The new Deputy stopped filing and stared at her them at the outlandish request. He was interested to see how the big man would handle it.

Bear leaned back in his chair and shook his head, "Now, you know that's not allowed and even if I wanted to I couldn't let you back there. And even if I could," he looked down and straight into her eyes sternly. "Even if I could - I wouldn't, 'cause," he leaned closer and looked her directly in the eyes, "you got no business back there."

She turned her best, big eyed, 'I'm the cutest thing this side of anywhere.' on him and added, "But, Deputy Bear, I just want a little peak - just to see if he's .... healthy enough to stand trial, you understand." And batted her long lashes again.

Deputy Small Bear almost didn't know what hit him. He shook his head to break the spell. He couldn't wait to see where this went.

Bear frowned at her, "Now, don't you go tryin' to get past me like that you little witch."

"Hey, Bear. What's this little minx up to?" Brett nodded at the young deputy and asked his long time friend as he silently came up behind Trish.

"Can you believe - she honestly thought I'd take her back to look at the suspect?" Bear shook his head, frowned at her and threw his pen on the desk. "And then, when I said no, she tried to go all flirty female on me!"

Trish stood as tall as her four inch heels would allow and tried to look stern and pious at the same time.

'Tried?! Gee! I must really be rusty.' She thought to herself.

"Did she now?" Brett asked, grinning down at her. "Hmmm, what do you suppose she wanted to do that for?"

"She probably thought some gullible, young, wet behind the ears deputy would go all soft an' actually let her into the interrogation room. Then, when his back was turned she'd stick a scalpel into the suspect's gullet."

"Hmm, you don't say?" Brett wondered, looking down at the little stick of dynamite. Patricia was rolling her eyes, looking everywhere except at the two men.

Realizing it wasn't going to work she said, "Fine! You two just go on and have your fun. I have better things to do." She began to back towards the door trying to look nonchalant while keeping the two men in her line of vision.

"Say, Bear.... " Brett said, straightening and looking Trish up and down.

"Yeah, what?" The larger man asked.

"You know," Brett said rubbing his chin thoughtfully, continuing to look at her all the while. "You didn't by any chance notice if she walked through the metal detector did you? Beca-a-ause, I came in right after her and didn't see her go through nor did I hear the alarm, she has to at least have car keys on her."

Bear sat up straight and put the pen between his teeth and thought a minute.

"You know, come to think of it, I don't believe she did." He looked at Brett and pursed his mouth. "Ya think one of us should frisk her?"

She gasped in outrage and backed further toward the door. "You wouldn't dare!" She glared at Bear.

He grinned, and smiled. "Naa."

Brett chuckled low. "No, maybe he wouldn't, but I would!" And turned toward her and began to take slow, measured steps her way.

Trying to stay cool, calm and collected she slowly backed toward the door. "You have no reason to, to... frisk... me. You don't have the authority nor," she shook an outraged finger at him, "do ya have any reason to suspect me of any wrong doing." She said scathingly, continuing to back closer to the door.

By now, the three people had the attention of Deputy Small Bear and the dispatcher in the front lobby. Most had overheard the conversation and were aware of the situation. Though the sparks between the little spitfire and the big man were a bit of a mystery. They were trying to act busy as they enjoyed the floor show.

"Oh, make no mistake, we both definitely have the authority to search anyone we feel might be a risk to society." Brett said as he continued his slow walk across the lobby, getting closer and closer and enjoying the panic that was beginning to show in her eyes.

"Daniel," Bear said speaking to young Deputy behind him. "Walk over and stand in front of the door and don't let this individual out. We have reason to believe she's a dangerous desperado."

Trish turned her glare on Bear and stomped her foot in a fit of temper. "All right, all right. Enough already. I should never have asked to see the creep. There! You happy now?" She asked Brett.

"Ooooh no, ma'am! We are sworn to uphold the law and protect the community at large." Bear said, wiping the grin off his face.

"That's absolutely correct. We have a sworn duty and must carry it out at all costs. No matter the risk to life and limb." Brett shook his head sorrowfully. "When we have reason to believe that someone is a risk we must...."

She stomped her foot again and balled her fists. "This isn't funny. I just wanted to see who shot my brother, that's all."

"And do what? Shoot him full of sodium barbital?" Brett asked.

"No. I... just wanted to see him. I, I don't really know why."

"Oh my!" Brett said, "Now she's changing her story."

"Bein' totally undependable and unpredictable." Bear shook his head. "It's a cryin' shame, and a doctor no less."

"Hmm, makes me wonder ... here she is, a doctor ... with the knowledge of what tool would be the most effective to ...."

The huge deputy looked at her thoughtfully. "Yes, I see what you mean. Ya know," He said rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Having to deal with reluctant or frightened patients, who is better equipped to administer ... whatever." He grinned.

Brett didn't miss a beat, "That's interesting. A good nurse or Dr can approach a patient without showing the syringe until the injection has already been administered. Aaand, since no one has searched her ... how can we be certain that a syringe or scalpel even is well hidden?" Brett mentioned to Bear.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Trish asked angrily and more than a little warily. Seeing she wouldn't get out the front door she began to ease her way to the side where she knew an emergency exit was located.

"Why, ma'am, it means that we are just gonna have ta go ahead and search you to make sure you're not carryin' any illegal contraband or something that could be harmful or dangerous to the community at large." Brett said as he too altered his direction.

She shook her finger and scowled angrily at Brett. "You wouldn't dare! You haven't the right or the rationale." She continued to back towards the emergency exit. She shook her finger again at Brett, and growled between her teeth. "You just wait till my father and brother find out how you're treating me."

Brett straightened and appeared to be thinking. "Hmm. We'll now, I know they're both auxiliary deputies and come when called upon in time of need. But no one has called either one of them for help." He looked at Bear. "Have they?"

Bear shook his head as he pulled his personal cell out of his pocket and checked the call log. "N-n-nope!" he answered, "Bu-ut, I can fix that real quick like."

Trish gasped. "Don't you dare!"

Bear looked at her seriously. "Oh, I consider it to be my civil duty to inform them of the dangerous situation here."

"Oh! Come on guys! Enough is enough! I'm sorry I asked, I'm sorry I came in here," she pointed and glared at Brett, "I'm really sorry I even saw you!"

"Bear?" Rowdy's voice sounded loud over Bear's speaker phone. "What's goin' on? I thought I heard Trish."

"Hey, bro! How ya feelin'? You back among the livin'?"

"Uh, yeah. I'll be ok in no time. Trish said she thinks she's gonna keep me from workin' for a couple weeks."

"I don't think anything, Rowdy. As a doctor I can keep you from working until you have healed to my satisfaction and have most of your strength back." She raised her voice at her unseen brother. "You can't return to work without a physicians signature." And nodded her head once as if to add, 'So there!'

"Trish? What the devil are you doin' at the jail house? You said you were goin' to the store, not the jail. It's over three miles from the hospital!" Rowdy asked, clearly confused. "By the way! You are not my doctor, Bill Cox is!"

"Well now, funny you should ask, bro." Bear added, trying hard not to laugh. "There's been some mighty funny goin's on here." And proceeded to relate the conversation between Trish, Brett and himself."

"See him? She wants to see him?"

"Yyyyuup! She wanted to see him." Bear answered.

"So naturally," Brett took up the story. "We felt it our duty to make sure she had no weapons or contraband of any kind on her person. 'Cause she was actin' a mite unusual."

She glared at Brett. "I did not!" She glared at Bear next, "I did not!" She growled between gritted teeth.

"Wow. She's got me a little worried now boys. She um... doesn't exactly sound like herself... You think she's armed and dangerous?"

There was some noise and a quiet voice in the background that they couldn't make out.

"So, let me see if I understand the situation correctly." Rowdy said and reiterated what Bear and Brett had stated.

It sounded like someone stifled a laugh in the background.

"Now, do I have that correct?" The injured man asked.

Bear looked at Brett, "That sound about right to you, Brett?"

"Yeah, yeah I believe he has a good grasp of the situation," Brett answered. "We were in the process of wonderin' if the community at large would be better served if we made sure that she had nothing dangerous on her person."

"I... see. Hmm. Well, I saw what she was wearin' when she was here aaaand I don't think there would have been any room for weapons. Those jeans fit... real nice. Even for a sister."

"What do you mean even for a sister? There is nothing wrong with my clothes!" She spit at her brother, thoroughly, furiously irate at all three men.

"Hmmm." Bear said, she's wearing a long jacket so we can't rightly see her clothes. Bu-u-t it does have big pockets. Maybe we should take the coat just to make sure she's not hiding a weapon or contraband in 'em ya think, Brett?"

Brett thought a minute while looking her up and down as did the other deputy in the room. She felt her face flame with embarrassment.

"Maybe you're right, Bear. Ya can't be too careful. Not when the public's safety is at stake."

'All right,' She thought, she had brought this on herself. She couldn't remember now why she wanted to see the animal that had laid in wait and deliberately shot her brother. Though she wasn't sure why she had been so worried about him at the moment. 'Fine!' They wanted to see her tight jeans? 'Hmmm.' Brett wanted to see her tight jeans? 'Hmm!' Now, she was soooo glad she had worn the tight fitting clothes.

"Fine! You want to see if my attire has room for weapons? Feel free to look but don't touch!"

And with that, she deliberately and slowly untied the belt, then unbuttoned the long, leather coat and processed to let it slide off her shoulders, down her arms and onto the floor, all while keeping eye contact with Brett. She held her arms out away from her body and slowly turned, showing off her skin tight jeans and silky top that fit snug in all the right places. It stopped just at the waistband of the low rise Jeans so that when she raised her arms, the top lifted and showed an intriguing glimpse of skin.

The situation had drawn several other deputies to the lobby, each of which needed to close their mouths and push their eyes back in their heads. Brett tried to swallow, but his mouth was so dry his throat wouldn't work. Then, he noticed that all the other men were having the same problem and that just didn't set right.

Enjoying the looks of approval from everyone she bent, picked up the coat and gave them all a cheeky salute. "There now, are we all done with this? Good. It was fun guys." And walked out of the building, swinging her hips a little more than she had ever even tried before. Once she got through the door, she ran as fast as the four inch heels would allow to her car, got in and locked the doors.

***

"Tell me that my baby sister did not just strip right there in the jail house!" Rowdy's voice sounded strained.

Bear just couldn't resist, "Uhhh, yuh huh, and then she took off as fast as those four inch heels could go."

"Good thing she didn't trip," one of the deputies quipped. "She could a broke an ankle."

"What?!" That was not just Rowdy, but Yancy's voice as well. Beau's snicker could also be picked up by the speaker.

He whispered aloud to his wife, "I'm sure glad that wasn't my sister."

Yancy and Rowdy both gave him a dirty look which turned his snicker into full blown laughter. It was at this point that Bobbi could no longer hold back her own giggles.

"Hey, Bear. The lobby still have all those security cameras from every direction?" Beau asked, still shaking with laughter.

"Oh! Heck yeah! I gotta have a look at those. They'd be worth a mint on the black market." Bear answered.

"No!" Answered Rowdy.

"You better not!" The young doctor's father sputtered.

"Nobody is lookin' at that film but me." Snarled Brett! He frowned at the sound of the other officers laughter.

'What in holy heck is wrong with you Blanton?' Brett reprimanded himself. 'Whew! She was a little spitfire when we....but....oh man, is she ever.'

The former SEAL leaned against the jailhouse and took a deep breath in an attempt to expel Trish from his...mind?

Trish, on the other hand sat in her car, head banging against the steering wheel. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why is it I can hold my own with any doctor and turn into an idiot around him? Geez! It was bad enough when I was in high school.'

"Rollin', rollin', rollin', ... Keep them doggies rollin" came her dad's ringtone. "Oh noooooo', not now!"

"Rollin', rollin', rollin'...." "uuuuuuh! Hi, pop!" she answered, trying to sound cool, calm and collected.

"Hi pop!" came Yancy's deep voice. "Hi pop? That's what you say after that little fiasco in the jailhouse? What in the world possessed you to try to see that man Trish?"

"I don't know pop. I just...I don't know. Maybe just trying to understand what kind of man would do that?"

The line was quiet for a minute. "I have seen him honey, I've talked to him. The only thing I know for sure is that the shooting wasn't his idea. He wouldn't say much to me other than his family was in danger if he talked.'

"You think he was forced to shoot Rowdy?" She asked.

"Hopefully the swamp man and the sheriff will get more out of him."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, they wouldn't let me see him. But they didn't have to have so much fun out of it." She fumed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

833 149 12
While her best friend Cassidy snacks on brie and boys in France, Darcy Li-Quinn must face her last year of high school and the unpredictable wrath of...
7.6K 273 23
Taylor Houston's entire life has been spent taking care of others. Born in a downpour, dark clouds have followed her everywhere she's gone. Now on he...
9.1K 465 20
After a terrible incident and a nasty divorce, (y/n) moves to Montana on the suggestion from her old friend, Jenny Hoyt, to get away from everything...
73.2K 1.7K 28
AdaJane packed up what little she had from Texas to attend Veterinary School in Wyoming where she meets her soul sister, best friend, and college roo...