Shadows

By AngelofThorns

Abused, Neglected, Hated, Unwanted... Alone... These are the words that Victoria Cruz chooses to describe her... More

Shadows
Punishment
London
Suicide or Escape?
Prison or Safe Haven?
Meet the family
Rules
Exploration
Revelations
Meetings
Friend or Foe?
Offers and declarations
Questions and Answers
Trip
Home
Family and Truth
Departure
The Istrati household - my new home
An invitation
I believe you're familiar with the waltz?
Lost
Smothered
Dance
Thirst
Awakening
Speculation
Guildford
Truth
Date
Prophecy
Departure
Keys and locks
Meeting the King
Twins
Jewels
Training
Surprise
Confrontation
Gift or Curse?
Hunters
Explanation
A little help
Protection
A New Path
Reunion
Let the Games Begin
The Long journey
Plans and Allies
Time to Fight
Blood and War
The End or the Beginning

The ball

419 13 0
By AngelofThorns

It was the day of the ball. I couldn’t think straight all day. Waiting to be in a room surrounded by Vampires was more nerve-wracking, than when I tried to commit suicide. As the final hour dawned I was rushed to my room where I would be pampered and primed to give a false persona that I was indeed a full-bred Vampire.

  I was dressed in a floor length black dress which neatly squeezed my figure, black gloves that were up to my elbows which I was not permitted to take off; also I wore black two inch heels to match. Part of my hair was done up in a tight bun whilst the parts that fell were curled and allowed to fall to my shoulders. For makeup; I wore black lipstick, full liner around my eyes as it apparently ‘showed them off’ and Violet shaded eye-shadow. The one thing that I was not allowed to wear was blush as it insulted the dark beings. I walked on over to my wardrobe once I thought I was done, to pull out my mother’s box. I looked at the photos of them both and smiled, hoping that I had done them proud in some strange old way. Moving the pictures to the side I glanced at the necklace… maybe now was the time to wear it.

  I held it up in the air for a moment or two before fastening it around my neck; once it was on I reached up and touched it. The patterns around the blood red stone intrigued me slightly; this wasn’t just any old trinket that mothers normally pass down. It was important to her and somehow showed I was of noble blood. I smiled as I thought about it… me? Noble blood? Well that was something that I never expected to hear in my lifetime. Closing the box and returning it to its hiding place I stood up and took a deep breath, tonight was the night. Tonight I was going to do my mother proud. Tonight I was going to be the only Dhampir in a room of bloodthirsty killers… not too much pressure.

  There was a knock on the door and I knew it was time; I drew a deep breath and walked to the door. There stood a handsome Dante, he wore a black suit which had a yellow patch sewn onto the corner of his left arm, he also wore a green tie and his hair was combed back and gelled down. Some might think he actually made an effort for tonight.

“I’m here to escort you down, but with you dressed like that I may not be able to move” he beamed

“Is there something wrong?” I asked as I looked down at my dress panicking

“No” he laughed “You look beautiful”

“T-Thank you” I smiled sheepishly as my cheeks burned scarlet. I linked arms with him and slowly we made our way down “Dante?”

“Yes”

“Why do you have a yellow patch on your arm?” he glanced over to me “I’m curious”

“It’s to show who the hosts are”

  Once we were in the room I was taken in awe, it looked truly beautiful in here. The guests that had arrived on time were all dressed in scarlet, emerald green, black, purple, navy… well you get the drift. It was darkened colours all around. The other two boys wore suits much like Dante but the ties were different colours, Dimitri’s was yellow and Darius’ was blue. The dates they brought were completely different. Dimitri had brought a young girl who’s hair was blonde, eyes were hazel she had red lipstick on which looked slightly trampy and she wore a red sparkly dress that did nothing for her figure.

“She’s human” Dante muttered in my ear as he noticed I was staring “Dimitri knows as well that she will be a blood bank by the end of the night” I looked up at him wide eyed, he shrugged, shook his head and faced forward. Once I was done scowling at him I looked at Darius’ date, she was very well dressed and stood tall and proud. She was brunette, green eyed and wore black lipstick with a matching colour dress. She was so different to the other girl so I guessed she must have either been a Dhampir like me or Vampire like the rest of them. As we waited for Anna and Armand to arrive I couldn’t help but notice the passing stares and glares I was receiving from the rest of the room… was there something wrong with the way I dressed? Or were they staring at the blonde? “Don’t panic, you’ll be fine tonight” he whispered in my ear “It’s a shame we can’t show your ballet moves” I smiled and lightly tapped him on the stomach before hearing a loud bang of the doors.

  They had arrived and what a dress Anna wore! it was floor length much like everyone else’s but it clung to her figure and had an intricate pattern all over the hem that led up to the mid of her back, to match the dress she wore elbow length gloves and I could only assume green heels. Her hair was curled and fell past her shoulders; she had red eye-shadow and black lips. Also I noted that she wore diamonds on her ears and around her neck. She truly looked stunning tonight. Armand dressed in a suit that bore the family crest upon its shoulder instead of the yellow patch that the boys wore, it seemed to look too big for him but that might have just been me… maybe that was the style for him but he also wore a red tie and his hair brushed back. Together they made a grand entrance that was met by curtsies by those who were not as high as them in court.

  Once they were stood next to all of us, they made a speech to their guests on how thankful they could make it tonight, it will be a pleasure to dance with them, hope they enjoy the night etc. but as soon as it was finished. The music started and they all began to dance. I was told the night before that if I were in the presence of royalty then I would not be permitted to dance until all royals were on the floor and dancing… it was just how it was done. The music was that I had practised to for weeks on end, it was all orchestral and I loved it completely. Dante bowed down in front of me and whisked me onto the floor, both of us laughing and giggling at how silly all these formalities were.  As I stared into his eyes, I felt lightheaded, my heart pounded and my cheeks burned. Mentally cursing myself I glanced away from him to all the guests around us. Once more I caught them looking at me but I shook my head and ignored it.

“You look flustered” he muttered, bringing me back to attention.

“Do I?”

“Yes, it must be the heat or something… do you want to go get some air?” I nodded to him and he led me away from the floor and out into the grounds. We walked in silence for a while, he looped his arm around my waist and pulled me to his chest, and I leaned close to look up at him. He was smirking again which made me giggle inside.

“I-It’s awfully crowded in there”

“You get used to it after ten years or so” he beamed “The fresh air seems to be doing no good, your still rosy red… are you feeling ok?” he asked as he placed the back of his palm to my face

“Y-Yes… let’s go back inside” I muttered as I pulled away. He looped his arm around mine and we waltzed back in.

  Once back inside it was time for the Two-step. It had to be the funniest dance to ever learn or do; whoever came up with it was a genius. Dante once more bowed before starting to dance with me again. Each of giggling and smiling as we accidently bumped into another pair, who scowled and cursed at our ‘lack of maturity’. It was all fun and games until the female eyed me over, sniffed and called me scum. Taken back by her words I curtseyed low to Dante, excused myself and fled. Ignoring the gasps and words of disgust I continued to barge my way through those in my way, out in the hall and up to my room.

  I slumped myself down on my bed and began to cry, I had not done my mother proud tonight by running off from the room. I was so close to telling him earlier how I felt, so close from spilling everything. I didn’t know why that Vampire’s words hurt me so much, I knew it was because I was a Dhampir and not fully of their world. I could not stop the tears from flowing not matter how hard I tried, my makeup was ruined and seeping into the bed sheets, and not wanting to ruin them anymore I sat up and walked over to the vanity cabinet. I was the spitting image of Marilyn Manson with the way my liner had smudged, it actually managed to paste a smile on my face again.

“Vicki?” I didn’t answer him but continue to clean my makeup up “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong”

“Don’t give me that, you’ve been crying for fuck sake” he slumped down on my bed

“Like I said, nothing is wrong” he walked over to me, grabbed my shoulders to make me face him then stared directly into my tearful eyes

“Just tell me! Was it that woman?” I shook my head “Then what!” tears began to fall from my eyes again, I closed my eyes and shook my head to get him to let me go “Please”

“I’m afraid ok!” I screamed at him

“It’s ok” he cooed as he began to hug me, I opened my eyes and sighed “You don’t have to be afraid of them when you’re with me”

“It’s not that” He pulled back to look at me, if I didn’t move now then I would spill everything. I couldn’t let him take advantage of me. I couldn’t let him know. But looking into those eyes I began to melt inside, tears poured from my eyes but I didn’t try to stop them, it was time to tell him… it needed to be said “I’m afraid that I’m falling in love with you”

“W-What?” I nodded solemnly and turned my head away from him; he lightly grabbed my chin and tilted it toward him. He closed his eyes and leaned in toward me, my cheeks began to burn and I too closed my eyes. Our lips met and a tiny explosion erupted in my mind, slowly I wrapped my arms around his neck and drew him in close, his tongue swept my bottom lip to seek entrance which I gladly gave to him. His hands wrapped around my waist and he picked me up and began to spin, breaking away I burst out laughing and he smiled at me.

“I love you” he muttered as he gently put me down

“I love you too” I whispered shyly “I was afraid to admit to it”

“Why?”

“Because I’ve been hurt way too many times before… I didn’t want to fall into that trap again” he leaned down and our foreheads touched, I closed my eyes and smiled. It was out in the open. I didn’t have to hide it anymore. I just hoped it would last.

  A knock on the door startled us both, it was the servant Eli. As usual he had a glum expression on his face as he bowed.

“Forgive the intrusion, but Lady Anna wishes to have a word with the young miss in the Study. She urges you to hurry and for Master Dante to return to the ball. No exceptions” he bowed and made his leave. Shrugging our shoulders we made our way downstairs. He kissed me on the lips one finally time before we went slightly separate ways. Anna was stood facing the window in her study; her face shone in the moonlight and showed the concerned expression that masked her face. She turned around to face me but her expression did not change, hopefully I hadn’t angered her with my sudden leave.

“Sit down child” she urged. Once I was seated she folded her arms and sighed “Do you know why I summoned you?”

“If it was about my leave and the way I did it, I’m sorry”

“It wasn’t that, but I appreciate your apology. It’s about the necklace you wear around your neck”

“This?” I said touching it, she nodded “What about it?”

“Where did you get it?”

“It was in the box of possessions my mother left me” I breathed “My real mother. I didn’t tell anyone except Dante of course because I didn’t think it was anyone else’s concern”

“I can understand that child, but was there an explanation with it?”

“There was a letter explaining everything. She told me this was meant to show that I was of nobility. That I should wear it at all times” she walked over and sat down next to me

“Nobility is right my dear” she closed her eyes and sighed before opening them and continuing “It’s the pendant the Queen gave her youngest daughter”

“W-What?” 

“Yes child, that pendant is the mark of Royalty, what was your mother’s name?”

“Aurora” I muttered but stared wide eyed as she gasped “What?”

“Then it is… you are the child of the tenth royal Princess Aurora Romanovski” I shook my head and clasped my hand around the pendant. This was ridiculous. There was not a chance in hell that she was right.

“You have got to be joking!”

“I most certainly am not! Why would I joke about a thing like that!?”

“Why did that one vampire in there call me scum then?”

“You are still not a vampire my dear. And Armand and I did find it strange when you first arrived to bear the same resemblance as her. You could be twins for heaven’s sake” I was of royalty? Well there was something that I never would have expected.

“How do you know the royals?”

“I told you before. My husband and his family are old friends with them. It is most informal but an honour none the less”

“You said she was the tenth? How many are there? Who are they? What happened?”

“Easy there” she laughed “Now, there are ten heirs to the king and queen, in order of age there is Ivan, Adrik, Nina and Nikki the twins, Daniil, Rosa, Alexei, Tristan, Soraya and finally your mother Aurora “I nodded, trying to take in the names “And at the age of 1,010 your mother fell in love with a mortal man whom no one knows the name of. As her father tried to ban her from seeing him, she denied their name to run off with him. Upon learning of her disappearance King Roman knew he had lost her forever. Everyone in the kingdom knew she was his favourite child though he would never admit to such a thing. He grew very distant and very quiet; he even stopped talking of her after a while”

“That’s so sad” I muttered

“It is, but even the king’s enemies dared not face him. For a Vampire enraged is dangerous, but a vampire that grieves is deadly and much worse. To make things worse the kingdom soon learned that Aurora and her lover had been attacked by a bunch of slayers. No one knew if she had even survived”

“She did” I muttered “She went into hiding to give birth to me, then handed me over to James and Jane in hopes that I would lead a better life that what she could give. She is still in hiding I just know it” Anna tapped my hand gently and smiled

“You must not say a word to my son about any of this; I know he plans to take you away after tonight. He wants to treat you. But should you wish to contact the royals…”

“No” I cut her off “My family is here, I have just told Dante my feelings too” she reached over and hugged me gently, I wrapped my arms around her and held back more tears that threatened to fall, she had always been like a mother to me. Right from the start.

“That means a great deal to me child. But if your mother wishes to come out of hiding I know she shall soon. The streets are not safe anymore”

“Were they ever?” I joked and she laughed “If she does arrive, then she does. I’m not too bothered”

“Now then, shall we return to the ball?” she asked as she stood up, I nodded and followed her out. Trying to get the information 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.9K 1.9K 83
{A SAPPHIC VAMPIRE TALE- COMPLETE} 18+ (this story can be read as a stand-alone if you wish)❗️ This is heartbreak, this is betrayal. When Marine, a...
28 0 28
Jessica Hunter's world gets turned upside down when she discovers that the things being told in nightmares are actual real and now she must decide if...
19.8K 418 22
Jamie is stressing out about her parents divorce,her grades, and not to mention the emotional and physical bullying at school. After her mother goes...
34 0 14
Victoria was going to spend the rest of her life running. This was something she knew, like how she knew her bike was the best and forests sucked. Bu...