The Library Book

By unsureavenger

In a world without demigods, Annabeth Chase has been on the waiting list to check out a book for months. As i... More

The Library Book
🔺 part one 🔻
#1 - Nice Uppercut, By the Way
#2 - You're, like, a Garden Gnome
#3 - Like Really, Really Smart
#4 - I'm Not Pining
#5 - The Phone Call
#6 - Monday Blues
#7 - Rumours
#8 - Because I'm Your Friend
#9 - Loan Sharks
#10 - Like Spiderwoman
#11 - The Unexpected Play
#12 - A Giant Teddy Bear
#13 - I Have An Announcement To Make
#14 - Love Is In The Air
#15 - Spring Break
#16 - Luke's Party
#17 - The Spring of Break-Ups
#18 - Exchange Students
#19 - First Date
#20 - It Was Always Percy, Wasn't It?
#21 - Dodgeball
#22 - Say Goodbye
#23 - Tastes Like Coffee
#24 - Pancake Saturday
#25 - Prom Night
🔺 part two 🔻
#26 - Homecoming
#27 - Jose Mortelli
#29 - The Careers Convention
#30 - Seven Minutes in Heaven
#31 - Three Words, Eight Letters
#32 - The Blackmailer
#33 - Playing Matchmaker
#34 - The Meaning of Family
#35 - SOS
#36 - My Future, Our Future
#37 - The Bruise
#38 - Gabe Ugliano
#39 - Buy One Divorce, Get One Free
#40 - Deck the Halls
#41 - College Applications
#42 - Court of Judgement
#43 - Miles Away
#44 - The SATs
#45 - Ivy Day
#46 - Dates and Bait
#47 - Think, Annabeth
#48 - Promposal
#49 - The Last Night
#50 - A Bittersweet Goodbye
🔺 part three 🔺
1. The Break-Up
2. The Fear
3. The Wedding
4. The Graduation
5. The End
Afterword

#28 - Springing a Trap

8.1K 231 421
By unsureavenger

Chapter 28 - Springing a Trap
published: Friday, 1 May 2020

"You're a hero, kid," James declared as he walked Percy away from the van.

Soon, they'd be close enough to be within sight of Mortelli's lookouts.

Percy eyed the warehouse warily. It stood in a decrepit part of town and stood high at three storeys of abandoned concrete. The building practically screamed 'evil hideout'.

"This doesn't feel that useful," Percy muttered, patting the Teflon bulletproof vest the precinct lent him to wear under his suit. A precaution, James insisted, though Sabrina had advised him to exercise extreme caution.

Yeah, Percy was about to face down a wanted criminal, she didn't need to tell him twice.

Even as his nerves bubbled up, Percy reminded himself that Annabeth was somewhere inside that building and needed him to do this.

"Wish me luck," Percy said warily as he stepped away from James and started towards the warehouse.

Hazel and Jason were probably pacing their way through the precinct, not permitted to join Percy's super dangerous mission. The rest of their friends were at home, worrying themselves sick despite Percy's attempt at reassuring messages. Though, how could he calm them down when he felt like his heart was going to rip its way out of his chest?

Please, don't shoot, Percy prayed inwardly as he stepped inside the warehouse. He repeated the mental mantra that a James and the other officers weren't far away. They were ready to break in as soon as Percy got his part over.

His ADHD caused his mind to ramble, wondering if he should've read the fine print in the paperwork he'd just signed. Percy had made up a signature on the spot and scribbled it hastily in order to get this rescue mission on its way.

"Mortelli?" Percy called, hoping his voice didn't tremble. "It's Percy, your favourite kid." He winced when he accidentally added that last part. Hazel had told him not to piss Mortelli off. Apparently it was a natural talent. "I'm here to offer you a deal."

The lines were practiced, but Percy hoped he managed to sound as realistic as possible. James had drilled the script into his head on the drive over here. They didn't use civilians in the field very often, and James clearly wasn't used to having to catch someone else up to his brain.

Just as Percy prepared to call off the whole operation, a figure stepped out of the shadows.

Drama queen, Percy thought smugly as he recognised the man as Mortelli. He was flanked by Thing 1 and Thing 2, one of them the same thug from their first run-in.

"Now," Mortelli spread his hands. "Above all, I am a businessman." He smiled to reveal crooked teeth and a glint in his eye that made Percy's stomach churn.

"I'll take Annabeth's place," Percy told him. Even though it was just part of the plan, Percy meant it. He'd hop in this psycho's car if it meant Annabeth could get out unscathed.

Percy wondered when the hell his crush had gotten this strong.

"How is that a fitting offer when I could just capture you right here?" Mortelli sneered.

Percy scratched the back of his head. "Um." He hadn't prepared for this. He wasn't exactly the quickest thinker around. The recording device tucked under his collar weighed a ton as Percy scrambled for words to say.

He could almost see James banging his hand against the window of the car.

What would Annabeth say? Percy wracked his brain.

"Annabeth's family would get the police involved," Percy maintained the cool facade. "You could take me without much hassle. Kill me in a forest or something. I doubt anyone would even notice."

"Tempting," Mortelli relented. "Unfortunately, killing you won't get me my money."

"Wait, that's what this is about?" Percy said incredulously.

"She's motivation for you to find the money," Mortelli continued. "And a warning as to what would happen to the rest of your friends should you fail again." He paused. "And revenge — she did break my leg."

Percy pulled a face. "That must've hurt." He could almost imagine Annabeth rolling her eyes at him.

Only you would joke with a criminal mastermind, she would say irritatedly, but secretly, Percy knew she wouldn't be all that mad.

"So where is Annabeth?" Percy tried. No harm, right?

"I don't see any money," Mortelli said pointedly.

"Uh," Percy paused awkwardly. "It's...around. Somewhere in my pockets."

As soon as he uttered the code words, the warehouse doors burst open with a dozen officers, scattered to surround the building.

"Everybody drop your weapons, hands in the air!" James yelled at the top of his lungs. Split seconds after he even said the words, one of the thugs nabbed Percy, and he was thrown down the stairs amidst the sound of gunshots.

Percy let out a pained groan as he tumbled down, head pounding with each step. The recording device under his collar was crushed under his weight. So much for that.

As he reached the bottom, his mind kicked into overdrive. He needed to do something.

James couldn't rescue both him and Annabeth as well as arrest Mortelli.

Proceeding to act like a rag doll, Percy waited impatiently for Thing 2 to approach him with his guard down, before he leaped off the ground and kicked him in the chest cavity.

He grabbed the rickety bannister and ripped the post off, slamming it round the man's head. Thing 2 crumpled like paper, sprawled across the steps.

Percy gave himself a second to admire his handiwork before he pulled Thing 2's gun out of his holster and started moving again. He was somewhere in the basement, and Percy had a gut feeling that Annabeth was down here too.

The pounding footsteps above the ceiling told Percy that Mortelli had had more than two henchmen with him. He nervously hoped that James and Sabrina would be fine, and that none of the officers would get shot.

As Percy searched the basement, he quickly took in the grooves of the gun. He'd never used one before, much less fired one, but it couldn't be that hard right?

His finger hovering above the trigger, Percy leaped out from behind a wall.

"Hey!" A short, stubby Colombian man said, outraged as he fumbled for his one gun.

Behind him was a familiar blonde, tied to a chair and looking absolutely furious.

"Annabeth!" Percy aimed as best as he could with his gun and pressed the trigger.

Nothing happened.

"Damn it!" Percy hissed under his breath as he ducked behind the wall, narrowly avoiding a bullet that pelted to the floor beside his foot.

He shook the gun in his hand frustratedly. "Why won't you work?" Percy muttered under his breath.

Footsteps could be heard as the Colombian man moved towards him, gun probably at the ready.

At the last second, Percy leaped out, tackling him to the ground and knocking the gun out of his hand. He reached up with his own gun, pounding the hilt of it against the back of his head and knocking the man out cold.

"Oh my God," Percy stared in surprise as the man went down. "I didn't think that would work."

His gaze flickered to where Annabeth was tied up, a piece of cloth around her mouth as a gag.

"Jesus," Percy murmured, dropping his gun and hurrying over to release her. He loosened the gag. "I would've shot him, but the gun wouldn't work."

The gag dropped and Annabeth hit him with one of her glares. "The safety was still on, you idiot."

Percy stared dumbfoundedly at her. She didn't seem to roughed up, except for a bruise on the cheek and a cut on her collarbone. Her homecoming dress was torn up at the skirt, and her hair was tangled as it hung down her front.

Annabeth had never looked more beautiful.

His hands fumbled to release her hands as he drank in the fact that she was okay, kneeling in front of her.

"I thought you were dead," Percy said at last, when her hands were free. "I-I've never been so worried in my entire life."

The words slipped out before he could stop himself. Annabeth's face crumpled painfully as she really, really looked at him.

"I didn't think I'd make it," she blurted out. "I was so, so sure they'd kill me."

One moment passed. A heartbeat of silence.

Percy leaned forward and their lips collided, Annabeth gasping in surprise as his hands pressed against her back.

Her hands tangled themselves in his hair as he groaned against her lips, the two of them moving like it was their last day on Earth.

It was about a million times more passionate than their first kiss, and Percy was almost deliriously dizzy because of it.

Eventually, Percy jerked back for air, both of them panting as they simply gazed at each other.

"I love you," Percy breathed. "I'm pretty sure I only realised it about five minutes ago, and I'm sure as hell not expecting anything in return, but I can't keep pretending like I don't feel anything for you."

He ran a hand through his hair frustratedly. "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be saying this. We tried so hard to not make it weird after we kissed the first time, but it's been near impossible to be around and act like I only want to be your friend—"

"Percy," Annabeth interrupted. "You're a lot dumber than I thought if you didn't notice that I kissed you back."

Percy stared blankly at her.

"I've liked you for months," Annabeth confessed. "Before we even kissed."

The words bounced within the walls of Percy's mind as he tried to process what she'd just said.  His mouth hung open. "You were the one who said we should just be friends."

"Because I thought you didn't like me!" Annabeth protested indignantly. She slapped a palm to her head. "We're so stupid. This whole time..." She trailed off, blushing suddenly.

Percy felt his cheeks redden. "What?"

"No," she yelped. "It's just—I'm still tied up."

Percy felt his face grow even hotter as he hastened to untie her legs from the chair. Rising to his feet, Percy helped her up, clearing his throat.

"So, uh, we both like each other," Annabeth voiced.

"Yes, I think that was made pretty obvious by the fact that we just made out in a shady basement."

"Percy!" Annabeth hissed, shoving him by the arm.

Percy blushed. "Sorry. Just trying to lighten the mood."

"Percy?" a voice echoed.

"Damn it," Percy muttered under his breath. He spun around to face Annabeth. "We are definitely talking about this later."

Before she could reply, Sabrina burst onto the scene, James at her heels and guns out.

"Don't shoot!" Percy yelped. "Just us."

James groaned. "Oh, thank God and Jesus and almighty Zeus. If you'd died I'm pretty sure I'd face suspension for weeks."

Percy furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

"You must be Annabeth," James changed the subject smoothly, waving at her. "How, uh, how're you feeling?"

"Pretty good?" Annabeth sounded more confused than Percy had ever seen her. "Are-are you the police?"

"Detectives," Sabrina corrected. "I'm Sabrina, this is James."

Percy could feel Annabeth's astonishes gaze boring into him.

"Did you get Mortelli?" Percy asked hopefully.

James winced. "Not exactly."

Percy's jaw dropped. "He got away?"

"We got one of his henchmen," James offered helpfully. "And your friend."

"Mortelli shouldn't bother you again, now that he knows you've got the police on your side," Sabrina reassured them.

Percy frowned. "But he's still out there."

James and Sabrina exchanged glances.

"There is still what I suggested early in the precinct," James hinted.

Annabeth's gaze flickered between them, realising that she was missing out on something. "What?"

"Tell you later," Percy said hurriedly. He wasn't sure how much she'd approve of this.

+++++

When they got back to the precinct, Percy and Annabeth were brought to the interrogation room by James.

"I've always wondered what was behind the glass," Percy wondered aloud, glancing at the two-way mirror.

"Maybe I'll show you one day," James suggested.

Annabeth was skimming the documents in front of her. "So we'd be helping you in your case against Mortelli?"

James nodded. "To testify as witnesses in court or give aid in finding evidence itself. You're over 16, so legally, you can do this without your parents."

"Well, he got be stabbed and kidnapped me," Annabeth said slowly. "So, yeah, I'd like to see him rot in jail for a bit." She sighed the papers.

She glanced over at Percy, who was hesitating slightly. It had been his idea in the first place, so what was he not telling her?

"You'd still be allowed your usual rights," James added. "Like, you wouldn't have to tell us who sent you to Mortelli in the first place."

Ah, Gabe. Annabeth quickly realised what this was about. Even after everything, Percy was still afraid of what his stepfather would do if their domestic abuse ever got to the police.

She couldn't really blame him, but Annabeth had always thought that going to an official about it was the best idea.

"Okay," Percy finally said as he wrote his signature on the line, a scrawl that barely read 'Percy Jackson'.

The night flew by so quickly after that. Paperwork was tiring in itself, but giving her statement was even worse. Annabeth was bored with having to be absolutely clear with every inch of it — she'd been blindfolded for most of the three hours.

Close to 2am, Annabeth was slumped on the bench outside the precinct, ready to crash and sleep for 12 hours straight. The ordeal she'd been in hadn't fully registered in her mind.

An abduction by a crime lord wasn't something everybody experienced. Annabeth wonders if she could use it in her college essays.

"Hey." Percy sat down next to her, looking just as exhausted as she felt.

Annabeth leaned against his shoulder, closing her eyes. Percy froze up, but Annabeth was too tired to second-guess her actions. His arm hesitantly moved to hang across her shoulders.

"Are you okay?" Percy asked quietly. "No one's asked you that yet. I know you're not injured, but—"

"I'll be fine," Annabeth said truthfully. And she meant it. Once she got over the initial shock of it, she'd be okay. "Thanks for coming to get me. I know how dangerous it was for you."

There was a pause. "I'll always come get you, Annabeth."

Annabeth felt a small smile form on her face as Percy clasped her hand in his tentatively.

"We haven't even talked about it yet," Annabeth murmured. "The kiss." Another thing she was still reeling from.

Pining after a boy for nearly half a year only to realise that he was in love with her? Now that was a surprise.

"You asking me out?" Percy said lightly.

"Yeah," Annabeth said with a laugh. "I am. You free this Sunday?"

"Wow, so romantic."

"Oh, shut up. I can still take it back."

"No, seriously," Percy insisted. "I'm swooning."

She sat up and looked at him, waiting expectantly.

"Yes, I'll go out with you," Percy said overdramatically, grinning like a madman. "You might have to text me tomorrow morning to tell me so I don't think this was a dream."

"I'll leave you a voicemail," Annabeth told him. "And I'll remind you everyday." She sighed happily. "Not a dream, Percy."

He hummed in agreement. "Not a dream."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200K 5.7K 90
Annabeth Chase is a rebellious teen who only acts out for attention. She has a brain, but it seems like she's not using it. Percy Jackson is trouble...
132K 2.5K 61
Annabeth Chase's whole world has been turned upside down. She has no idea how to navigate this new normal and still struggles to figure out her feeli...
21.3K 1.2K 46
The war with Gaea has finally ended, but with war comes death and survivors, and in demigod Percy Jackson's case, survivor's guilt. His girlfriend, A...
3.6K 31 17
Mortal Au! Everybody has a soulmate. It just takes awhile to find them. A story in which two teenagers decide hating eachother isn't very fun. Starr...