What Is and What Should Never...

By taintedandloved

Desdemona Castellanos is almost loyal to a fault. When she notices her best friend Remus distancing himself... More

1. Perfect Prefect Privilege
2. Cozy Sweaters and Bookworm Vibes
3. The Dancing Queen
4. Hallowe'en
5. The Great Sleepover of '76
6. Hufflepuff Pride
7. The Proposal
8. Ballgowns and Butterbeer
9. The Winter Solstice
10. The Hogs and The Meade
11. Exploding Snap
12. The Great Sleepover of '77
13. The Terrible Friend
14. A Very Valentines View
15. The House of Loyalty
16. The Library
17. The Giant Squid
18. Padfoot
19. The Lovely Lily Evans
20. The Clash
21. Out The Window
23. The Talk
24. The Hufflepuff's Courage
25. Godric, The Gloater
Epilogue

22. The Confession

950 40 18
By taintedandloved

IM NOT THE only one who thinks Sirius got more attractive over the summer. Within the first month I'm recognizing the boldness of some people - whether Sirius does or not is a whole other question. He's either very good at ignoring them, or just very daft. Remus tells me if I want him, I better act quick, I lie and say I've lost feelings for him, but even I'm not convinced when the words come out of my mouth.

"I'll give you three chocoballs for the jelly slugs." I offer Peter.

He looks between my pile of sweets and his.

"Four." He says and I purse my lips.

Honeydukes has a massive sale going on, so naturally, Peter and I stuffed bags full of sweets and are now trading like children. The five of us are huddled in one of the bigger booths of the Three Broomsticks with a boy that's been hanging around them the last couple of days. I never got his name but he's been speaking with Sirius, who's sitting beside him.

"Fine." I say.

"Five." He changes his mind. "You don't eat chocolate."

"I'm bringing some for Jiaying." I say, she's spending the day going over her new cause, researching, rounding people up. I'm supposed to join when I go back (along with find out what the cause is), and I'm not joining empty handed. "Four or no deal."

Peter thinks for a moment, looking at the packets of Jelly Slugs he has on the table.

"Deal." He says and we trade.

"Your drink." Remus says, coming back to the table and handing me a mug. "What's happening?"

"Negotiation." James answers, across from Peter, his elbows leaning on the table as he watches the two of us, probably not as interested in the conversation of the two people on his right. His head boy badge is presented proudly on his jumper, even though he's not wearing his uniform.

I move some of my merchandise over and place down my drink with a 'thank you' as Remus slides into the spot beside me.

"Can I have a pack of Whizzbees?" Sirius asks me and I push one across the table.

"That's bogue, I had to trade two wands for one!" Peter complains.

"You tried to jap me out of five chocoballs." I remind him and he shuts up.

"How much for fudge flies?" James nods towards them and I look at the limited amount of sweets he has. My nose scrunches when I realize I don't like any of them.

"Take it." I toss it to him and Peter exclaims at this unfairness.

"Don't think I've ever seen anybody buy this many sweets." The new boy says and I have to agree as I look at Peter's pile, he places out two sugar quills to get the ball rolling.

I offer two pumpkin pasties and Peter shakes his head.

"Yea, I'm sure these two bought out the store." He says and the boy giggles. I shake my head with a smile and add another quill to Peter's offer then look over my pile for a bargaining chip.

"Well, what's say you and I check out another offer?" Sirius' companion goes and my hand hovers a bit slower as I pretend to think. "Madame Puddifoot's got a new tea flavour if you'd fancy a taste."

My eyes flick up to James on the other side of the table and I see him raise his eyebrows and give an impressed look as if to say, 'he's bold'. I smile slightly, because I agree, but pick up another pumpkin pasty to add.

"Oh, no." Sirius says. "Puddifoot's not my vibe."

"S'it cause of that Hufflepuff girl you're always hangin' 'round with?" He asks and I look up at him because I'm the Hufflepuff girl he's always hangin' 'round with. He doesn't spare me a glance.

"Nah, just really not my style." Sirius shakes his head and I don't pretend not to listen anymore. The conversation seems to be going to an interesting place, and clearly, the boys around me think the same thing because they've turned to watch the conversation as well.

"Good, 'cause I don't think she's that fit." He says and I try to hold in my laugh because I don't think he knows that I'm the one he's talking about. I thought my gleaming yellow and black headscarf tied in my hair would give it away, but Remus also finds it amusing as he moves to cover his snickering mouth and accidentally knocks over my drink.

"Oi, watch it, spaz." The new kid says, somewhat harshly, grabbing a napkin quickly and wiping the liquid before it can spill on him. I give a slight glare.

"Don't call him that." I say, noticing James tensing up and beating him to the punch.

He finally graces me with a look, and his face very clear emits that he's not too worried at what he sees. He takes one look at my bandana and scoffs.

"Why not, Hufflepuff?"

I open my mouth to say something when Remus puts a hand on my leg and I look at him to find that he's shaking his head at me. I bite my cheek and turn away, pushing over the pasties for Peter. He hands me the quills but I reject them and the boy goes back to Sirius.

"What else can we do then?" He asks and Sirius raises his eyebrows, clearly not happy with the comment he made about Remus.

"I'll get you another drink?" Remus asks and I shake my head, about to say that it's okay, when the unnamed boy speaks again.

"Sure you can handle it?"

I bite my lip fully this time but Remus ignores him.

"Des," Sirius says and I look up at him, he's holding his carton of smokes. "Wanna share one?"

I nod while staring at the new boy and Remus gets up to let me out.

"'Scuse me." Sirius tells him and he's a little confused but moves out.

"You coming back?" He asks and Sirius shrugs.

"Reckon you should leave." He says and the boy looks a bit taken back, but hides his shock pretty quickly, picks up his coat, and leaves.

"I'll watch your sweets?" Remus asks and I smile, telling him can help himself before following Sirius out the back door.

We get outside and Sirius searches for his carton as I take a seat on one of the patio tables that no ever uses.

"There's been nicer ones." I say, remembering people like Nahas, and he takes a drag.

"Who insults the people they wanna to hang out with?" He asks and I reach to ask for the dart.

"He was here for you, Sirius." I say as he hands it to me.

"Me?" He goes and I nod.

"How daft are you?" I ask and he rolls his eyes.

"I'm not daft, I just don't care enough to notice."

"What do you notice then?" I ask and he takes a few steps to stand in front of me.

I think he's gonna take the cigarette back, but he doesn't make a motion to.

"You." He says. "And your death glares."

I give him a look and he points at my face.

"Yea, that one." He laughs and I swat his hand away. "I do notice certain people, just not every single one that's interested in me."

"Oh?" I ponder. "There one now that catches your eye?"

He nods his head and I nearly choke on the smoke I inhale.

"Who?" I cough out and Sirius reaches for the cigarette so I don't drop it.

"A friend." He states, and I think.

How many girl friends do I remember Sirius having? Besides myself, I could maybe count Lily, but that's a stretch considering James has his sights set on her. I rack my brain through any other girls I see Sirius with on a daily basis, and other Gryffindors, but the only one I can think of is myself. I hope to Helga I'm not being biased, it could just as well be a boy anyhow. Remus? That's a pretty good guess.

"A friend?" I repeat and he confirms. "Do I know this friend?"

"You should." He says, putting the cigarette to his lips and looking at me.

"Will I have to guess?" I ask, not wanting to, incase I'm wrong.

He shrugs.

"Do I get hints?"

He chuckles at me.

"She's attractive." He says and I roll my eyes. "She goes to Hogwarts."

"Quite jivin'." I say and lift my chin so he can hold out the cigarette. He does and I take a puff.

"She's very loyal - almost like a dog." He starts to tease and I shake my head because he's playing around.

"Is she a dog?" I lean forward. "Has Padfoot found a mate?"

He just chuckles.

"So there's no one?" I say, a bit disappointed but he shakes his head.

"There is." He assures.

"Who is it?" I pester, knocking his leg with my foot gently. "Tell me, I'm your friend."

He looks at me for a second with a wicked smile before agreeing.

"You've gotta answer a couple questions first." He warns and I nod my head, tentatively.

He takes a deep breath and rests his hands on my knees, looking down as if gaining courage. The change in demeanour throws me off and I stiffen a bit. He meets my eyes with a serious expression and I'm now nervous as my heart starts picking up pace.

"Would you shag me?"

My eyebrows shoot up and my heart skips a beat.

"What?"

"Am I attractive to you?" He asks, the corners of his mouth tugging apart, and I realize these are my questions. I groan out loudly and drop my face into my hands as he laughs at me. "Answer the question."

I look up at him with a face I know is ripe from embarrassment. He takes a puff.

"You're a right fox." I copy. "You're gorgeous."

He beams proudly and I'm about to demand that he tells me the girl he has his eyes on when his hand comes around my neck, up into my hair, and he pulls me into a kiss.

And, My Godric, his lips feel amazing. They're soft and alluring and I find myself leaning farther into him as we kiss. The smell of smoke from his lips and clothes surrounds me in comfort, and when he tilts his head I hear him let out a sigh.

We pull away slowly.

If my face was hot before, you could cook a potion on it now.

But neither of us have time to say anything, or even appreciate what just happened when the back door of the Three Broomsticks opens and a worried Remus is there holding my bag.

"Jiaying's in the Hospital Wing." He says and in an instant my face falls, mood shatters, and I'm on my feet, running back to Hogwarts.

Nobody questions the rush and I'm thankful that most step out of the way as we take the trail back to school, not bothering to catch a carriage. Sirius and Remus follow quickly and I ignore the warnings from staff that tell me to slow down when we reach the castle. No one's in the corridor so I push myself faster as we near the Wing, and I throw open the doors frantically, immediately spotting her and running to her bedside.

Jane's head is against the pillow, pale and asleep. I don't see any bandages around her, or blood so that's a good sign. I think.

"What's happened?" I hunch over slightly to catch my breath, and Debbie (the only one at her bedside) looks at me.

"Madame Pomfrey said she'll wake up soon." She's emotionless until she sees Remus and Sirius come up behind me, panting from the run. "Oh, you brought your toys."

I tense at her words.

"Stop it, Debbie." I say, and take a seat on the side of Jane's bed.

I caress her hair back and her temperature feels fine. The two boys that accompanied me take the seats beside the beds.

"Don't think Jane wants to wake up to you snogging."

"I said stop it." I warn, trying to ignore her because it's not the time or place to be doing this. I get that she doesn't like Remus or Sirius, but now is not the time to be a bitch.

The doors to the wing open and in walks Iman, making a beeline for us.

"What's happened?" I repeat because Debbie never gave me an answer.

"Hexed by some pureblood scum." There's venom in her voice as she stands at the foot of the bed protectively. "I just went and told Sprout, she'll bring in Dumbledore."

"Were you with her?"

She shakes her head.

"Her new cause was Muggleborn prejudice." She says and my heart drops, knowing I could have been there to stop it. "Mulciber and Wilkes didn't like it much."

"Well what're we gonna do 'bout them?" I urge and Debbie sneers.

"You could stab them in the back."

"Shut up." I growl.

"Debbie, not now." Iman goes but Debbie doesn't like being told what to do by us.

"You shouldn't be here." She tells me. "Not with them."

"She's my friend." I say, finally snapping. "But you wouldn't know anything 'bout that."

If looks could kill I'd be dead on the floor by now, but Debbie would also be in critical condition. She's about to make another remark when some incoherent mumbling comes from Jane and we all snap our attention to her.

Her eyes flutter open and she takes a look at the people around her one by one (as if in a daze) before saying,

"You know," she tries, then takes a deep breath, as if those two words take a lot of effort.

"You know, I could've chosen from so many cool names." We all blink at her, she looks pretty out of it. "Why'd I pick 'Jane'? I mean, Huang Jane? So bogue."

I bubble out a nervous laugh, but I feel like crying at her frail state.

"We'll call you whatever you want." I tell her and she smiles gently at me.

"I'm a bit tired." She whispers and Debbie tells her to go back to sleep in a soft voice that was not used a moment ago.

Jane nods and closes her eyes, mumbling something about 'Jade' being pretty cool, and within seconds her breathing is even again.

"Someone owl David?" I ask, because he's no longer at Hogwarts.

"They've split." Debbie's violent tone is back.

"What?" I ask incredulously.

"You'd know if you were her friend." She looks at Jane while she speaks.

"They broke up this morning." Iman assures me before I can whip out my wand and stab Debbie in the eye.

"Maybe she had something to do with it." Debbie mutters about me and I can't it take anymore so I get up and walk out the Hospital Wing.

I hear footsteps following me and I have an idea as to who it is, but I ignore them and keep walking. Only when the doors shut behind me and I slump against the wall, sinking down to the floor with my head in my knees do I speak.

"You better go back or she'll think we're shagging." I bite and look up, only to see Iman. "Oh."

"Thought I was Sirius?" She asks and I nod. "She doesn't know what she's saying."

"How'd you deal with years of this?" I ask, my lip starting to quiver.

Iman sighs and takes a seat beside me.

"Well I'm never in the dorm, for starters." She says and I lean my head on her shoulder. "But I never got this many bogue comments, and never in front of people."

"What'd she call you?" I ask, under the impression that Debbie just ignored her.

"Told me I was a coward for not being publicly friends with you guys." She shrugs and my head moves up slightly.

"That's not true." I say and she nods.

"I know, but Debbie never bothered to find out the truth." Iman doesn't seem upset. "She's Hufflepuff in that she demands loyalty. But I think all the other traits flew right by her."

I let out a few breaths in the form of a laugh. That couldn't be more true.

"What do I do?" I ask.

"Honest? Bone Sirius." She says and I lift my head up to look at her. "She thinks you have anyway, just rub her face in it."

"You know I can't do that."

"Hm, maybe I've spent too much time with the Slytherins." She laughs a bit and I smile as the door opens up again.

Sirius walks out and looks around before his eyes land on us. Iman pats my hand in a comforting way before getting up and heading back into the Wing. Sirius walks over and squats down in front of me, resting on his heels.

"Remus gave her a piece of his mind." He says. "Quietly, of course - didn't want to wake up Jane."

"What'd he say?" I ask and he falls back into a more comfortable position on the ground, stretching his legs out to either side of me.

"It's not for a lady to hear." He says and taps my hip with his shoe.

"Get bent." I tell him, but I'm smiling slightly.

"You good?" He asks and I shake my head.

"I just wanna be in there with Janie." I sigh.

"I can go in as Padfoot." He offers. "Growl at her till she leaves."

I appreciate the offer but decline.

"She's her friend too, it's not fair."

"You need to stop doing that." Sirius says. "Stop putting other people first all the time."

I furrow my eyebrows at him.

"James told me you fancy me." He says and I mutter out a curse. "And I've taken my time, cause he also told me you won't go 'round with me cause of Debbie."

"Are no secrets safe with him?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"When are you gonna start putting what you want above everyone else? You know I want to be with you, why are you holding back?"

I cast my glance away, my mind doesn't have an answer for his question so I just shrug pathetically. He sighs and moves to his knees, lifting my chin up and planting a soft kiss on my forehead. I close my eyes, but miss the rest of him getting up and walking off.

When I open my eyes, I'm alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110 40 28
"We're all just a bunch of freaks and losers, but we found each other anyways." Remus Lupin is a sarcastic wallflower. Nobody knows he exists, save f...
5.2K 269 32
New description! Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Best friends. Until they each realised that they were in love. With each other. A/N I don't own any of...
14.1K 424 54
Kacie Elektra Black, the twin of Sirius Black, was part of the Marauders. Part of the group of Gryffindor's that was the closest groups of friends yo...
238K 7.7K 26
Everyone knows Hermione Granger, the one that's best friends with the famous Harry Potter, knows nearly every spell, and is considered the princess o...