The Beginning of the End

By photographdreams

This is a rousing story of life after the Masquerade and downfall of Lucio and the Devil. Life is good, and V... More

The Coming Darkness

The End... or Not

10 0 0
By photographdreams

Andraste

I was making some porridge on the stove for breakfast when Asra finally came stumbling downstairs, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and his messy mop of white hair.

"Well good morning." I teased, gesturing to the late morning sun shining through the window, yet sending him a loving glance.

"Mmmrrrmmphh." Asra groaned and slumped down at the table. "You know I got in late last night." he added with a yawn and large stretch.

"Really? I didn't notice." I smiled and moved to put a warm cup of tea down in front of him.

Asra grinned and looked up at me with soft eyes, "You spoil me." he smiled and reached forward to land a quick peck on my cheek as I returned to the stove.

"I'm just glad you're back, I missed you so much." I replied and poured two bowls of the spiced oats and threw some cinnamon and apple slices on top, sneaking one to Faust as she coiled around the warm bowls.

"Yeah...a...about that...." Asra stumbled, putting down his cup of tea and stirring it, avoiding eye contact.

My good mood instantly sunk into one of disappointment as I looked over to him. "You're leaving again..."

"I'm so sorry... " he sighed and took my hands in his. "Nadia asked if I could gather some supplies for some more protection charms around the palace...The whole Lucio thing really got to her, even if she doesn't want to admit it."

"Yeah, it got to me too. I nearly lost my damn body to him." I said a bit more harshly than I intended to, pulling my hands away and walking over to the window, watching the morning vendors pack up their tents as the afternoon shopping began to start. Asra has been gone traveling for the past 3 weeks and I had been here alone... now he finally returns at the break of dawn... only to leave again.

"I-I know." Asra sighed and with a squeak his chair pushed away from the table. He walked up to me slowly, wrapped his arms around my waist and placed some tender kisses trailing up my neck. "But he's gone now... and you're safe. I promise I will protect you." he added, turning me around to face him.

I let my head sink and my eyes lingered on the floorboards of the shop. It may be selfish, but I really wanted Asra to stay. I need his comfort as much as Nadia does... if not more.

"Besides... I should be back by nightfall. This trip will be significantly shorter okay?"  He lifted my chin with his fingers and placed a longer, more meaningful kiss on my lips. I kissed back, holding on for dear life to his presence close to mine.

"Okay..." I sighed as our lips parted and he smiled warmly.

"Also.... I made sure to talk to Ilya and he said he could help you with your medicinal herb studies while I'm gone."

"Ilya? Teach? Ha that should be something to witness." I laughed and Asra joined in.

As I watched Asra pack up and walk off into the distance I sighed. I missed him already. He has been traveling quite a lot in the last two months since we defeated the Devil and stopped Lucio's plans. I don't want to discourage him, but I missed him. I felt very lonely here without his presence. The only one I have been able to hang out with is Julian, and while spending the night drunk and raving about the differences between magic and science is fun and all, there was a darkness in Ilya that could get a little out of hand. I would spend the rest of the evening talking him off some ledge with Castor and making a potent tea to put him to sleep. Which I worried I would start to relate to soon if I didn't get some difference in my social life.

As I turned around to head back inside I was almost taken out by Ilya himself, he looked to be in quite a hurry.

"Ah ha! Yes! Andraste, there you are! Come quick! I've made a discovery." He exclaimed, a fire in his eyes and grabbed my arm with a great force, dragging me into the city.

"I-Ilya, stop, WAIT!" I cried out as he wove through carts and dodged oncoming carriages. "Ilya please, you're hurting me... and... and your eye! Why aren't you wearing your patch?" I exclaimed with a wince as he pulled me into his home.

With a whirl I was swept off my feet and tossed onto the couch, a little more roughly than I would have liked, and Julian threw his cape off onto a nearby chair. I looked around the room and it was a disaster. There was parchment everywhere, and the smell of spilled ink and booze was littered throughout the room and Ilya was staring at a collection of drawings and symbols he had tacked to the wall with just about anything sharp he could find.

"Oh Ilya.... have you been drinking?" I asked, my concern getting stronger by the minute.

"Drinking... yes, but that's besides the point-"

"Where's Castor? She keeps you from getting like this-"

"Castor's at the market, we're nearly out of food." Julian cut in dismissively, as if he was perfectly fine. Clearly however, he was far from alright.

"Ilya you were supposed to help me with the study of magical herbs today... what happened?" I asked and started to approach him slowly.

With an abrupt flourish he threw out his hand and gestured to a pitifully small stack of books over in the corner next to an empty bottle of rum. "Yes, we will get to that later, but for now- the coming darkness..."

"Coming darkness? What? Ilya how long have you been drinking its only midday...?" I asked, my concern growing by the minute.

"Well if you want to get technical I never stopped... it was a wild evening but anyways- We have to prepare. The darkness is coming and I am worried, we are all in danger-"

"Ilya look at me!" I exclaimed and physically turned his body so he would look away from the damned wall. I audibly gasped as I looked at his face. He had a furious concentration in his eyes and a wicked grin on his face. The bags under his eyes were prominent and I could tell he hadn't been sleeping again. "Why didn't you come by the shop...? You know Asra and I are your friends and we care about you...you know what happens when you get like this...."

"Fuck Asra." Julian growled and ripped away from my grasp, the look in his eyes becoming enraged. "Helps stop the Devil from taking over our world and then fucks off running errands for everyone who could ever ask without considering that the people closest to him needed his help!" he growled and stormed back to his decanter, taking a large swig of brandy straight from the bottle with a grimace.

As much as I didn't want to admit it, he was right. Asra was being really distant lately. "We all process what we went through in different ways...and they route you are on is dangerous-"

"BULLSHIT" Ilya bellowed and threw the almost empty bottle of brandy against the wall of drawings with a cry of frustration.

I let out a gasp as I watched the bottle shatter against the wall, causing glass to litter the floor. A wave of fear washed over me as he turned and started stalking towards me. The look in his eyes... it was terrifying. I had never seen him rave with this much intensity before. He ran his fingers through his hair and began to breathe heavily. I worried for his liver almost as much as his sanity at this point.

"Did he not promise to never travel without you again?" He hissed in my face and began to back me against the wall. I tried to bring forth my magic but the fear running through me was overwhelming. "Did he not promise... that he would help us get through this transition? Well WHERE IS HE NOW?" he growled and pushed me fully against the wall, the fury in his eyes radiating off of him.

"Ilya please... calm down...you're frightening me... it's okay." I whispered nervously, and shakily raised a hand against his chest in an attempt to gently push him off.

"Of course... everything's just fine..." He growled back and delicately traced a finger across my jaw and down my neck.

Before I could question what he was doing his hand abruptly clamped around my throat. Panic pulsed through me and I raised a hand, concentrating my magic in an attempt to get away, but Julian grabbed it forcefully and smiled crookedly.

"Not so fast..." he chided, whipping my arm behind my back, moving us from the wall and towards the center of the room.

"A-Asra...." I choked out, blood thrumming in my ears and my fear getting the best of me. I reached out to him desperately, hoping he could feel my fear.

"Asra isn't here... I am!" Julian hissed and threw me back into the sofa, my head slamming harshly against the wall, causing my vision to blur momentarily.

"Ilya... p-please... y-you're... you're h-hurting.. me" I gasped, tears welling in my eyes as I tried desperately to fight back. This wasn't him. Something was wrong. There was a darkness radiating off of him in waves, pushing nausea onto me.

"Oh you haven't been hurt yet..." He snarled, grasping the side of my neck and pushing me down into the seat cushion, his legs climbing around me to straddle my waist.

I desperately tried to break free as he removed a small knife from his waistband and pressed it lightly against my throat. "Ilya stop... please... this isn't you." I whispered, the tears streaming down my face. Fear consuming me, I could barely swallow with the knife against my throat. I felt like I was going to be sick. I couldn't fight back, he's too strong... I was pinned down.

I reached out with every once of magic I could muster. Crying out for Asra, for his help, for his strength... I felt so weak, so vulnerable...That feeling only got worse as Julian began to trail the tip of the knife down my collar and towards my sternum.

"I wonder... how does the body function with only half a heart..." he whispered, an intense insanity flaring in his eyes as he pressed the knife into my skin. I grimaced as he drew a solid stream of blood. "Fascinating..." he replied distantly, as if he was conversing with someone else inside his mind. "I wonder how much it would take to make her scream..."

"Julian please. You can fight this." I choked out and grabbed his wrist, trying desperately to stay the knife. This sent all of his emotions coursing through my veins. The moment I touched his wrist I felt his aura radiating into mine. I felt the pain, the rage, the desire he felt. It was parasitic, consuming him... there was magic here... dark magic...

His eyes narrowed with malice and with a sharp jolt he removed his hand from mine and sliced the knife across my face. My vision began to blur and all I could feel was the blood trickling down my face. This darkness was flooding over me in waves... burying me... consuming me...

"ILYA!" a female voice cried out and a familiar feeling that washed over me as everything faded into darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

457K 31.2K 46
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
473K 14.5K 98
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
631K 32K 60
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
412K 24.8K 84
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...