Fate or Chance

By Steph-Hearthlight

The sweet irony almost makes Marinette laugh. And to think that the little Parisian had to leave the city of... More

Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
A little bit of faith
Resolutions
Battle on Paris streets.
Carrying the world on the shoulders.
Fickle Luck
Fairy or angel?
Coffee and conversations
His family and friends
Her family and friends
Truths & Secrets
Mothers Wrath I
Mothers Wrath II
Mothers Wrath III
Mothers Wrath IV
Plans and dates
Their family and friends

The aftermath

7.9K 242 141
By Steph-Hearthlight

Robin had been dazzled by the girl in front of him. Not only had she remained calm throughout the kidnapping, but she had also tricked Mr Freze's henchmen into letting out data that was vitally important for Robin and Batwoman to easily subdue them.
If we add to this that the girl had demonstrated leadership skills and aptitudes in battle, and not to mention how she protected the cat, well, let's just say that the small curiosity she felt at first had increased.

" Are you all right, ladies?"

At Batwoman's words, she and Robin stopped looking at each other.

She turned to her friends and the blonde girl spoke.

"We are fine, thanks for the help. Um ... Are you Batgirl?"

"Batwoman, actually."

"Sorry for the confusion."

"Don't worry."

"Thank you very much for saving us" said the girl who had caught Robin's attention " I'm sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused."

"On the contrary, the clues you got us made our job much easier."

The girl, Damian really should find out her name, blushed at Batwoman's compliment.

"That's our Maribug."

"I agree, Mari-hime is good at making plans in less than a fraction of a minute."

"Girls, stop it"

"OK"

The sung tone of the other two let Robin know that the girls would surely not stop.

" However, thank you both very much for your help, my name is Marinette" then the girl, Marinette, pointed to her companions "she is Chloe and she is Kagami.

"From what I heard, you are not from around here." Batwoman mentioned "What brings you to Gotham City?"

"The Wayne Foundation fencing tournament." Kagami replied stoically.

"Do you practice fencing?" That would explain the reflexes, although not the melee fighting skills.

"No, only Kagami, we are the emotional support."

OK, he wasn't expecting that.

"All three of you seemed to know how to fight.

"I beg you pardon, it didn't seem, we know how to fight" The blonde girl, Chloe, spoke in a smug tone "Maribug's mother taught us self defense, and we have had private teachers."

"It was necessary" said the other girl, Kagami, in a serious tone "our mothers did not want us to be an easy target."

"Where are you from?" Asked Robin. Marinette smiled at him and answered.

"Paris France."

"Why would you need to know how to defend themselves so much? Paris doesn't have a high crime rate as far as I know"

"I mean, it's always good for girls to know how to defend themselves, but 'needing' sounds a bit far-fetched."

The three girls frowned at the words of both vigilantes. They shared a look and Marinette stepped forward and spoke.

"Well, for starters Chloe is the only daughter of the Mayor of Paris."

Good reason, the sons of politicians used to be easy targets for kidnappers.

"Kagami is a Tsurugi."

"Tsurugi, like the Olympic fencing champions?" Asked Batwoman.

"Precisely."

"Since Maman offered to teach the three of us self defense, Kagami saw it as a good opportunity."

"Mother used to be extremely strict about my use of time. Still, she considered that learning martial arts would not be a waste of time. That gave me time to be with Mari-hime and Chloe."

Good strategy.

"And well, there are also Akuma attacks."

"The what now?"

Both Robin and Batwoman were confused. And they were more confused when they saw the reaction of the three young girls. The three girls frowned and started arguing with each other in French.

Good for him, who knew French.

"How is it possible that they don't know anything?"

"This is ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. I am aware that Daddy tried to contact the Justice League after Mother's Wrath."

"That is without mentioning the online news, although if they are not taken seriously because of the Ladyblog I would understand it."

"Don't let me get started with that, I am sure that if they saw the interview with Ladybug's 'best friend' they will take us all for crazy. Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous."

"Chloe, you already said that, and Kagami, don't be so hard. But I agree, at least Nadja's reporting should have raised some suspicions. However, there are more important things here."

"So the Justice League, and I need to emphasize THE Justice League, have no idea what's an Akuma."

"They don't know about Ladybug and the Miraculous team."

"And apparently they don't know who Hawkmoth is."

While the three girls argued, Robin and Batwoman watched them. Damian spoke ten languages ​​fluently, so understanding what they were saying was no problem. Still, he didn't get half of what they were actually saying.

Akumas? Hawkmoth? Miraculous? What the hell?

Robin cleared his throat to get the girls attention, which he did.

The blonde girl, Chloe, and the short-haired girl, Kagami, turned to see them. Marinette blushed and apologized for being rude, Damian was tempted to tell her that he understood the whole conversation to see if her blush would get bigger"

"Would you be so kind as to explain us about these "Akumas"? " Batwoman asked.

The three of them turned to see Marinette nodded and began to speak.

"It all started four years ago with the attack of the first Akuma, Stoneheart ..."

An explanation later ...

Both Robin and Batwoman were confused. The story told by the young Parisians girls sounded almost impossible.

I mean, a megalomaniac terrorist who took advantage of people's negative feelings and used butterflies to control them, a team of young heroes using the same type of magical artifact, the fact that they had contacted The Justice League and received no response, all of that sounded like if came out of an overactive imagination. It was almost impossible to believe.

Emphasis on almost.

The thing is, that wasn't the weirdest thing they'd ever heard. Powerful aliens whose weakness was basically a stone, hybrids of humans and demons, wizards, Damian was dead and risen, for God's sake!

"We had never heard of the situation you are describing and it sounds a bit fanciful" Batwoman pointed out, Damien noticed how Marinette tensed a little at Kate's incredulous tone and the other two girls took defensive positions. Batwoman didn't seem to notice, but still added, "But, after all, it's not the weirdest thing I've ever heard."

"I agree, do you say that the mayor of Paris tried to contact the Justice League?"

"Not only my daddy, Ladybug herself tried to contact them at least twice."

"Right, the first time was when the battles started, the second time after Mother's Wrath."

It did not go unnoticed by either Damian or Kate as the three girls trembled at the aforementioned villain.

"Do you have any idea who received the calls?" Robin asked, the fact that they were not informed was worrying.

"Green Lantern" said the three girls in unison. Robin couldn't help but notice the disdain in Chloe and Kagami's voice and the weariness in Marinette's voice.

"I'm going to assume that he is not his favorite hero," Batwoman said, sounding sincerely entertain by the idea. Hall Jordan was not exactly well-liked in the Batfamily.

"I'm not judging his heroic abilities ..."

"We do Mari-hime / Maribug." Chloe and Kagami mentioned at Marinette's words. She answered them with a stared that silenced them.

Impressive. Damian generally tried to silence his friends by glaring at them with the look that made the criminals tremble, but those idiots just laughed. Marinette had only had to raise her eyebrow to shut them up.

"As I was saying, I don't think he's a bad hero or a bad person, it's just that it seems a bit irresponsible of him to just assume that a heroine and a mayor would go to so much trouble to play a prank on him" Marinette said respectfully, Then she added a little annoyed "Ironically what made him think he was stupid was the fact that the powers of Hawkmoth and the Miraculous team came from pieces of jewelry. Because that is so silly."

Both Robin and Batwoman had to suppress a laugh. That girl's sarcasm was very entertaining.

"Well, now we know" Batwoman said "I can't promise you anything yet, but we will certainly inform Batman about this situation and investigate it."

Marinette then smiled with tears of thanks, took Batwoman's hands and spoke.

"You have no idea how much it means to us, Paris suffers in daily basis and fear is the daily bread. Thanks a lot."

"There is no need ladies."

Robin almost laughed when she saw the expression on Kate's face, it was not common for them to receive such a sincere thank you.

"It's not that I'm not grateful too, but we were on our way to the supermarket, if I don't drink my tea with honey in less than an hour someone will be hurt."

"What Chloe tries to ask is do you need us to stay here?" Kagami said.

"We are going to need you to give your statements to the police, but don't worry they are on their way."

"I understand, if you'll excuse me, I think I should inform my mother of the situation."

"Go ahead"

As Kagami called her mother and Batwoman chatted with Chloe, Robin watched as Marinette approached Mr Freze.

Robin knew that some victims wanted to hit their captors when they were released from dangerous situations, normally he did not mind in the least, however this was Mr Freze, it would be dangerous if Marinette attacked him so he watched her ready to intervene.

He didn't expected to see her duck at the height of the villain, who was immobilized.

"What do you want, brat?"

"Why do you dothis?" She asked looking into his eyes, seeing the villain's gaze she asked again "Why does Dr Fries do this?"

"Do what?"

"Before coming to Gotham City, I researched the villains here. You excelled for not being as cruel as the others. So I did a little more research and stumbled upon the story of a brilliant cryogenic named Victor Fries."

"If you read what they have written about me, you must know about Nora."

Marinette gave a look that at first Mr Freze believed in pity, but looking closer, he realized that it was empathetic.

"Yes, I read about it." Mr Freze stared at her waiting for her to say something "you are looking for a way to heal her. I imagine that was why you planned to rob the bank."

"If you know why I do what I do, just go away and leave me alone girl. I only do what is necessary to see her again."

"Although your goal is noble, the way you want to achieve it is wrong. Do you honestly believe that when you wake her up she will be happy knowing everything you have done? What has been sacrificed for her to be healthy?"

Mr Freze was about to answer when he noticed something, she had not said "if he was able" she had said "when". That confused him enough to give Marinette time to continue.

"As I said, I did my research. You are a brilliant person, I am sure there must be a way to save her without you being a criminal."

" I've already tried, girl. Don't you think I wanted this, I just want to see her smile." Said the man losing himself in the memories of the woman he loved and who in fact continued to love "There is no way out"

"There is always a way for those who have the intelligence to look for it, and you are a very intelligent person. Isn't it worth a little more perseverance for her?"

"It is worth it" Mr Freze said looking Marinette in the eyes "but what can I do? Right now they are going to put me in Arkham and most likely it will not come out for a while."

"Take advantage of the silence, reflect and find a way to bring her back without putting other lives at risk."

Mr Freze fell into reflective silence.

Robin had been impressed by the girl once more. Not only had she shown empathy for her captor, which Damian would generally condemn, she had also pointed out the errors in his ideology and made him reflect. Robin did not have much faith that this would change Mr Freze, but he would keep an eye on the situation.

What amazed Damian the most was the fact that Marinette wasn't scared of him at all.

Marinette sat on the floor while still hugging the kitten, which by the way was snuggled snugly into her chest. She started humming a song while checking his hind leg, it was no longer frosty but it was still trembling and apparently it hurt.

"Is your cat okay?"

Even Damian was surprised at the fact that he was looking for conversation with this girl. She just turned to see him and analyzed him for a few seconds, then smiled and indicated that he should sit down.

"It seems that his leg is hurt, otherwise it seems to be fine."

"I see."

"By the way, it's not mine."

"What?"

"This little friend is not mine, he just jumped on me. I guess he was running away."

Robin stared at her in amazement. During the entire situation in which this young girl was held hostage she had been protecting a cat that was not even her pet.

Damian Wayne was an animal lover, anyone who knew him knew it. Therefore, this disinterested action on the part of the French girl raised the respect that he already had for her, and her curiosity grew again. He wanted to know more about this girl.

"Do you by any chance know where there will be an animal shelter here in Gotham?"

"There is one across the park."

"Thank you very much. Do you know if the Wayne hotel accepts animals?"

Yes, recently, Damian had made sure to discuss the matter with his father. Now the Wayne Hotel had a policy that allowed animals.

"You just have to explain the situation at the front desk"

"Thanks again."

"Will you take the cat to your hotel room?"

"At least until tomorrow." While they talked Marinette kept examining the kitten's paw, it seemed that it was very painful because he complained at the slightest touch. "You don't happen to know if there will be a vet open around this time, do you?"

Damian thought about it for a few minutes, there was a clinic run by a fairly competent vet about 15 minutes from Crime Alley, Dr. Ferries was competent enough to care for her animals without going crazy. Also, if he was not mistaken, she lived on the second floor of the clinic, so surely she was at home .

The woman lacked a social life.

Even so...

"You could go tomorrow ..."

"No," said Marinette respectfully but confidently. Another point in their favor, although the majority they feared was Batman, few had the guts to answer any Gotham watcher without his voice trembling. Marinette kept talking "it would be better if he had medical attention as soon as possible, his leg is hurt, I don't want to touch it too much to not damage it. But if it's something internal, it could get worse at night and I'd rather be safe than sorry"

"You are not sure to wander the streets of Gotham at night." Marinette's face fell instantly and Damian felt a little guilty. He turned to see the cat (serious mistake) and his guilt increased so much so that he could not stop before the words left his mouth "if you want I can escort you once you have finished giving your statement."

Marinette's face seemed to light up as she smiled and nodded.

Wow it was expressive.

Batwoman watched them from a distance and smirked at Robin. While they waited for the police to arrive, she approached him.

"I heard what you promised" Damian tensed a little while waiting for the tease by Kate, but it did not come "Do you want me to wait for you here?"

"That would be appropriate," said Robin, internally thanking Batwoman for being here instead of any of her dumb brothers.

After five minutes the GPD arrived at the scene. Robin was relieved to see Commissioner Gordon among those present. That would make everything faster.

After a few minutes the statements had been taken and both heroes observed a strict-looking woman getting out of a car wearing sunglasses and a bokken as a cane.

"Mother, good evening"

The woman turned to where her daughter's voice was coming from and where she supposed her friends would be and sighed.

"Girls, why is it that wherever we go you always get into trouble?

"Very bad luck?"

"We didn't get involved, they got us involved."

"Believe me mother, I ask myself that same question every day."

Batwoman decided to intervene at that time.

"Excuse me ma'am, these girls were caught by Mr Freze who is one of Gotham's villains to be very careful with." Kate said observing the reactions of the woman "it wasn't their fault so I don't think you should scold them."

"I wasn't" she said in a firm voice "I am fully aware that the three of them are smart enough not to look for trouble. I was only pointed out a fact."

"If Tomoe was scolding us then she would use that scary gesture." Marinette mentioned.

At that moment Tomoe stepped both hands on her bokken and furrowed her eyebrows, at that the three girls trembled a little.

"Yup, that gesture."

The woman sighed again but relaxed her expression.

"Did any of you get hurt?"

"No Tomoe / mother" all three said at the same time, then Chloe added:

"But I still haven't bought honey for my tea."

There was a small silence and then the three girls laughed while Tomoe tried to hide a smile.

"Well, if that's all you three should got into the car, we will go to the supermarket for Chloe's honey and we will return to the hotel and the two of you" she said pointing to Marinette and Chloe with his bokken "you will call your parents."

"Yes Tomoe / mother."

Both Robin and Batwoman had been watching the exchange with interest. Tomoe, who seemed to be Kagami's mother seemed a strict woman but her concern for the three girls was evident.
At that moment Commissioner Gordon approached.

" Excuse me ma'am" he said to which the woman turned "the girls may be a little bit shock to be attacked by a villain. Maybe they should go to the hospital."

"That won't be necessary." Tomoe said, feeling the disbelief in the man's breathing, added "all three confirmed that they are not hurt and none is stupid enough to lie to me about it."

"I understand, but the shock ..."

"Officer, I understand that you are doing your job and I don't intend to interfere, but unfortunately this is not the first time that they have been involved in an attack by villains, in Paris we have attacks like this at least once a week."

Gordon was silent and Batwoman and Robin noted the fact that this woman may be referring to the Akumas that the girls mentioned earlier. They really had to investigate.

"Now, if you'll excuse us."

"Actually, I wanted to go see a vet. This kitty got hurt before this whole mess and I want to be sure it's going to be okay."

"You're not going alone, Marinette."

"I'll escort her."

Tomoe turned her face and approached Robin who, although he denied it until the day of his death, tensed a little.

" I see."

It was a few seconds before Chloe opened her mouth and said in a muffled chuckle:

"It's a miracle! Pfff."

"Chloe !!"

"What did I say?"

Tomoe just smiled at Chloe's words. She thought that probably the reason she had gotten along with Audrey Bourgeois was because the woman can talk without mincing and in fact had no regard for her being blind. The change was refreshing. And of course, like mother, like daughter, Chloe was just like her mother in that.

Going back to the topic, Tomoe had a bit of knowledge about the Gotham City vigilantes, she knew that they were, nevertheless, basically heroes. A normal person would trust them without hesitation. However, Tomoe did not consider herself normal, and this was Marinette. Marinette had been the first girl with whom her daughter had become friends on her own. She had questioned Marinette's friendship and favored Adrien Agreste at first, she had been severe with the girls and the time they spent together, but when Adrien had betrayed his daughter's trust and love, when she felt stupid for having let her Kagami get hurt, when Kagami had been about to break without her being able to do anything, then Marinette Dupain-Cheng had proven her worth.

The girl had shown incredible loyalty to her daughter. When she found out that she had given up her first love in order for Kagami and Adrien to be happy, she hardly believed it. And then when Kagami was wounded in her heart, she ran to her side to hold her until Kagami could stand up. Marinette had proven to be like blood, rushing to the wound.

When she had heard from Kagami about the whole incident with the Gothamite villain, his first instinct was to take all three, get them on a plane and send them back to Paris, the hell with the tournament. Then she remembered that the main reason for the trip was to get Chloe and Marinette away from the toxic environment they were in and began to ask herself if the girls would like to visit Kyoto.

"Can I go? Please Tomoe, while you buy the honey and Robin says it is close.

Tomoe knew that the three girls had developed a great love for animals since they started volunteering at the Brigitte Bardot Foundation, actually Kagami had convinced her to rescue Kiseki, the dog that was now part of the Tsurugi family.

Sighing, knowing that Marinette was not going to sleep if the cat was not checked, she nodded.

"Young man, you better return her safe and sound."

"I promise, ma'am."

"I'll take your word, Kagami, Chloe, get in the car."

Before leaving, Tomoe turned her head to where Marinette and Robin were. The boy felt a slight chill.

"Should we go now?" Robin asked trying to hide the chill that woman had caused him.

"Sure," said Marinette, smiling.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖
N/A
Sooo, this is the new chapter, I'm really sorry for the late update,this is the thing.

I'm from El Salvador, we are in quarantine and since I worked in a call center I'll be working from home so we ordered an upgrade on the internet. There was a confusion in the order and they canceled our Internet and I had to wait a lot to get a tech to reinstall with the upgrade, the good thing is that since I'm working from home I'll have more time now.

So in regards of the chapter. I had to rewrite this like 4 times because it never convinced me.

I don't want a love at first sight story because there is a lot like that and I wanted to make something different, I don't wanted a hate at first sight either because I don't think I can nailed it, so I wanted Damian to get to know Marinette first, and I wanted a good first impression, I think this is the best that I can do at least for now.

I'll be updating soon and I'll like to let you know that I'll be writing a secondary story that happens on the same universe that "Fate or Chance". Is going to be mostly fluff and daily life stories, for example I am going to write there how Nathaniel found out that Lila was lying and how Sabine, Audrey and Tomoe became friends.

Another thing is that the Brigitte Bardot Foundation is real they have a Facebook page where you can get info about adoption.

I think that's all, thanks for reading and please if you have any question or suggestion or anything else, leave a comment, I really enjoy reading those.

Farewell fellows
💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142K 3.9K 25
Once Ladybug and the remaining French Miraculous team defeated hawkmoth, the curse that has put on paris for years has been lifted. so if you were la...
58.2K 1.3K 28
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is a daughter, superhero, girlfriend, guardian, friend, fashion designer... Her boyfriend Adrien Agreste who happened to be he...
161K 3.1K 20
Ladybug and Chat Noir captures Hawkmoth and brings him to the police, in the process they find out his identity. Something in Chat Noir breaks and he...
33.3K 808 19
Damian and Marinette grew up together but after an unfortunate turn of events, Marinette's parents had passed away on a mission. Talia then betrothe...