[2] Remember Me ➝ The Maze R...

By _imagine_fantasy_

Remember Me ➝ The Maze Runner [2; Newt] ✓ 2015 WICKED. They experimented on her brain, gave her telepathic p... More

*Prologue*
*I Remember*
*Test Subject*
*Azela*
*The Failures*
*The Griever Hole*
*Right Arm*
*North Wing*
*FCBDSP*
*Through the Griever Hole*
*Competition Time!!*
*Mechanical Slug*
*Swinging Vines*
*Who the bloody hell are you?*
*Falling Apart*
*Competition Results!!*
*Grief Serum*
*Rescue Mission*
*For Him*
*Just Listen*
*Meeting Alyssa*
*Take It Easy*
*Unknown Intentions*
*Long-awaited Freedom*
*Just like old times*
*Rules are meant to be broken*
*Overrun*
*Lab Thirty-Four*
*Kings Will Be Kings* ||NOT AN UPDATE||
*Janson*
*IMPORTANT!*
*Surrender your Noses*
*You never escape the past*
*Remember Me*
I'M SUCH AN AWFUL SHANK

*The Only Way is Down*

14.9K 678 665
By _imagine_fantasy_

*The Only Way is Down*

The weapons weighed heavily in my arms, and my movements were stiff and sluggish as I lugged them across the glade and to the Maze walls.

Thomas walked beside me, also struggling under the weight of various types of spears and machete-type weapons.

"Thanks," I suddenly perked, my thoughts still lingering on his earlier encouragement speech. "For saying all of that. You're right; I need to get a grip on reality."

He smiled warmly but said nothing, his eyes sparkling. His hair ruffled in the slight breeze, and I found my gaze lingering on him longer than intended.

What are you doing? I hissed to myself. Newt! Think about Newt!

"Hey, how's Axel doing? I haven't seen him in a while," he suddenly said after depositing the weapons on the previous mound.

I stared solemnly at the ground. "I should talk to him, really," I murmured quietly. "I think he's pretty upset."

"Go now; I can handle this," Thomas replied shortly, and I looked at him.

"Are you sure?" I asked hopefully.

He nodded, his cheeks dipping as he smiled wanly.

"Thank you so much! You're shucking amazing!"

Then I took off across the Glade without another word; it was time to put things right.

My feet thumped heavily as I skidded into the deadheads, my heart beating rapidly in my chest.

Hearing a warble of voices, I slowed my pace and picked carefully through the underbrush, trying to keep silent as I padded closer.

"What do you think about all this?" A voice broke through the rustling laughter of the trees.

Alyssa.

My heart thudded to a stop.

"What d'you mean?" Newt's accented voice replied, slightly muffled through the dense copse of limbs.

"These... strangers. And that girl; she seems pretty weird."

My jaw clenched. That little shuck-faced piece of klunk. Had she any idea what we'd had to go through?!

"I don't think they're strange. I think they're here to help us," he countered shortly, and my jaw softened. "But... that girl... Rowan, I think... there's something about her... something familiar. It is weird, but not in a bad way."

I drew in a sharp breath. He remembered me? Even if it was just a brief memory, there was still hope!

"What do you mean, familiar? She probably just has the same face as another glader; average and boring."

Anger raged through my shoulders, and I involuntarily tottered into the tree as I stomped my foot and caught my ankle.

A loud crack ricocheted off the dense branches, and a flurry of 'huh?'s swam through the air.

Shuck.

I spun on my heel and took off once again, my shoulders still heaving at Alyssa's words. How could she be so harsh? She barely even knew me... unless it was just jealously.

Lost in my train of thought, I barely had time to register the approaching figure until I slammed into it and threw us both into a tree.

My head slammed into the bark, sending me plummeting into a disorientated trance. Vision swimming and ears ringing, I blindly scrambled back onto my feet and leaned against a tree as I waited to regain my bearing.

Axel was still on the floor, equally as dazed and shaken, and I quickly kneeled next to him.

"Oh, lord, Axel, I'm so sorry!" I blurted, helping my friend to his feet. He blinked away the disorientation and shook his head, offering me a wan smile.

"Don't worry about it; I was looking for you, actually."

I sighed in relief. "So was I," I said softly.

"I just wanted to apologise." The words were spoken in unison, and he chuckled softly.

"I shouldn't have snapped at you; I know it wasn't your fault."

I shook my head; jaw set in determination. "No, I've been really selfish. I didn't think that you might have to go through exactly the same; you might loose someone precious. I just... didn't think. And then there's Azela... she has nobody. I was so wrapped up in my own problems that I didn't think about those around me... the only people who could help me unravel this mess. I'm sorry, Axel. I really am."

His face was solemn, but his eyes held a thoughtful glint. He smiled thinly, and abruptly held out a hand.

"I understand, Rowan. And I forgive you," he said after a pause, wiggling his hand in front of my face.

I grinned, knocking his wrist out of the way, and quickly embraced him.

He chuckled and patted my back awkwardly.

"So, update me," he said, colour returning to his cheeks.

"We're almost ready to leave; Thomas is finishing up with the weapons; everyone else is gathering supplies; I think Newt was supposed to be sorting out some gladers who're refusing to join us." I said the latter part with a hard edge to my tone, and Axel's eyebrow arched.

"Supposed to?"

I sheepishly gestured behind me. "I heard him with Alyssa. Talking about me," I said calmly, though my nostrils flared as I spat her name.

Axel nodded slowly. "Alyssa being..." he asked uncertainly, almost reluctantly.

"A piece of klunk," I muttered, and he smirked.

"I understand."

"We'd better go see what's going on," Axel suggested, and we both turned to go back to the glade. But none of us took a step forward as Newt's ghostly pale face appeared through the trees, and Alyssa trailed behind like a haunting apparition.

"Oh, hey," he said uncertainly, eyebrows furrowing.

"Hi," I replied in a strangled voice. My gaze briefly flickered to his lingering girlfriend, and she shot me a cold glare.

"What're you doing out here?" He inquired, suspicion lacing his tone.

"She was looking for me," Axel replied coolly, and I could feel the tension radiating off both. Newt was obviously suspicious of Axel; Axel must be angry at Newt for being too distracted.

It's not his fault; don't be too harsh.

His shoulders softened. I know. I'm sorry.

"Have you sorted out those shanks who didn't agree to join us?" I asked with an arched brow.

His face contorted into something of a pained expression. "Shuck."

My eyes widened; a shout rang through the air, loud and clear, somewhat in unison with Newt's exclamation.

Axel and I took off without hesitation, and Newt and Alyssa followed behind reluctantly.

That damn shank had been too distracted by his girlfriend. Now there was the possibility of something of an uproar. If they get hold of our weapons...

We emerged into the Glade to see Alby and Thomas trying to calm down Gally and his fellow builders. Winston was trying to wrestle a spear from one of the stubby guys, and almost had his face punched by the butt of the stick.

"Alright, just calm the shuck down!" Alby ordered in a rumbling voice. "We'll sort this out, alright?"

Gally glared at me as I paused behind Alby, and a smirk curved his lips. "There's nothing to sort out; this shuck-face here and her little friends are liars. They're probably part of WICKED; they're just leading us into another trap," he stated, clenching his fists. "You lot can go get your sorry butts kicked, see if I shucking care, but we're staying here, and that's final."

Then he spat at Alby, before stalking off into the direction of the Building site, his associates loitering behind him like lost sheep.

"Fine," Alby said quietly. "Stay here and rot." Then he turned to me, his face grim. "Looks like we're finally getting the shuck out of here. I suppose the only way is down."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.2K 1.1K 65
Evelyn was sent up to The Maze with the original Gladers. She was the lone girl right from the start. But being the only girl isn't the only thing th...
106K 3K 19
* disclaimer : this is a The Maze Runner fanfiction. The Maze Runner belongs to James Dashner* "Welcome to Wonderland greenie" The sandy blonde says...
268K 8.6K 25
[COMPLETED] While Thomas and Teresa were made to share one another's thoughts, Y/N and Newt were made to share one another's pain. They were just on...
23K 606 50
"𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐩𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐱 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝, 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡�...