๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐›๐จ๐ฆ๐› | ๐‡. ๐’๐๏ฟฝ...

By thelavish

" ๐๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐œ๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐. ๐ˆ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐›๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ญ๐ฌ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐›๐ฅ๐จ๐ฐ๐ฌ ๐š๐ซ๐ž... More

๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐›๐จ๐ฆ๐›
[ 01 ]
[ 03]
[ 04 ]
[ 05 ]
[ 06 ]
[ 07 ]
[ 08 ]
[ 09 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 11 ]
[ 12 ]
[ 13 ]
๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐›๐จ๐ฆ๐›: ๐ซ๐ž๐ฐ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ง

[ 02 ]

8.2K 226 46
By thelavish

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐉𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐑𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐘-𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐓𝐇, 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐘 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐑, 𝐌𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐈𝐌 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐏𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐘 𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒. He knew exactly who he needed to speak to, since she hadn't left his mind for the entire morning. Also, he was more likely to get the truth from her than Riley-Smith since she wasn't likely to see him as a purely stone-cold lawyer who was out to get him, but a man that she had loved.

"What...what now, Harvey?" he questioned, clueless to how much this case genuinely meant to Harvey. Sure, if Harvey were to mention the significance, Mike would simply tease him because he wasn't supposed to care about the client. He wasn't supposed to sympathise. He was supposed to leave the case alone and take some random girl out for the night, but he knew that he would dedicate everything that he had to getting justice.

Because Marilyn deserved all the justice in the world.

"You're gonna go back to the firm and get hold of Ophelia Clancy. I want details about why she thinks she was fired, why she's filed the case and if she knows of any other women that would support her, if she were to go to court. Because if no one will-" Harvey began. Mike didn't need to know what this case was going to do for him, he just needed to get on with his job. Plus, Harvey didn't exactly feel confident to confide in him, the disloyalty still fresh, despite the pair working together again.

"She's got no substance," Mike concluded. Harvey resisted the urge to grin at the fact that Mike was thinking like him again, his mind flashing back to his first days with the associate. Even after sacrificing his job, his office, his everything for him, he'd still been betrayed. "What're you gonna do?"

"Work for the opposing side," Harvey replied rapidly, an aggressive bite to his tone. Mike held his hands in surrender, resisting the urge to roll his eyes as he sighed at the reminder that his relationship with Harvey wasn't completely restored. Sure, he may be working with him again, but their friendship had deteriorated and it was going to take more than working with him and thinking like him to restore what they had.

"Okay, I deserved that," he admitted lowly before heading for the exit. Harvey huffed at how harsh he'd been, fully aware that Donna would've most likely scolded him for that. Of course he was grateful to have Mike back with him, but he'd never expected him to leave in the first place. Truth be told, it was one of the first times he'd put someone else's needs ahead of his own since Marilyn and it had blown up in his face. Despite Mike attempting to make it up to him, Harvey was still slightly bruised.

He leaned on the wall, ensuring that he steered clear of the elevator buttons, releasing a breath so heavily like it would get rid of the weight on his shoulders. He reached the news floor quicker than he'd thought he would, but still snuck into the background, as to watch Marilyn at work with absolutely no disturbance.

After all, he knew how much she had wanted to be sat in the leather chair that she was currently relaxed into. In fact, he believed that he knew of her dream and determination more than anyone. He was aware of the sacrifices she had been willing to make and wanted to see how far her ambition had got her, how effortless she truly was in front of the camera and her incredible charisma. He wanted to see it all and although he was unlikely to admit it, it was likely because of how proud he was of her. Whilst the pair hadn't united in eighteen years, she was the only person he could ever be truly proud of. He knew her better than anyone and knew that nothing could ever stop them from having a mutual appreciation for one another. Also, her appearance had barely changed and it only took him back to the time when he worked in Gordon Schmidt Van Dyke mail room. Probably when he was the most unsuccessful he had ever been, but when he was the most human. He needed to feel like a human being again, and only one woman could help him do that.

The production staff seemed far to occupied to even notice Harvey lurking in the corner and so was Marilyn, who was downing a coffee as a makeup artist dabbed about her as well as scanning the pages on her glass desk. And to think that he had believed the commercial breaks were to aid some relief to presenters and news anchors. It was only as some guy gave Marilyn a quick countdown until she was back on air did the spark come back in her eyes as she fluffed her hair about, instantly wearing a smile that was likely to have any American dad's eyes glued to his screen.

"Good morning, America," she began, her smile so fresh and words welcoming, just as Harvey pictured they would be. He didn't bother listening to what news story she was delivering, those three words simply ringing in his head. She'd talked about that phrase so passionately for so long that Harvey couldn't refuse the satisfaction that flooded within him once he heard her say it live. There was still a hopeful glint in her icy eyes as she spoke, as if her passion reignited as soon as she was live on air. Perhaps it was because she was so driven in the first place, or because he'd never truly cared for anyone's goals but his own, but to see Marilyn achieve hers and know that she got that satisfaction every single day was totally worth all of the hassle he had endured for eighteen years. His face broke out into a natural grin that he couldn't get rid of and as Marilyn spoke so elegantly, it was clear that the pride within him wasn't going to disappear any time soon. He swore that people should pay to hear her say that, instead of barely batting an eyelid.

"Now, it is exactly 09:00am on Tuesday April 27th. Thank you so much for spending your morning with me and the DBC team, have a good day," Marilyn concluded, finishing her show with a photo-worthy smile that she held until the call was given. Harvey was still grinning; he'd waited eighteen years to see her dreams in action and couldn't believe that the day was finally here.

As soon as she was off air, she sighed, much to Harvey's dismay. It was almost like the bags under her eyes only then became evident as her assistant ran to her with another coffee in hand, which she completely downed yet again within a mere couple of seconds. As she rose from her seat, her eyes locked with Harvey's and he could have sworn she'd chuckled at the sight of him, most likely in disbelief. He couldn't blame her - if he'd known that today would be the day, he'd have worn a better suit. Marilyn sent her assistant out of the room, and only then did Harvey realise that the pair were alone, since they were using a different studio for the next show, whatever that was.

She took her time to approach him, crystal-adorned heels clashing against the floor at the pace of his heartbeat. Harvey noted how body-hugging her jet black dress was and the square neckline that it boasted, realising that Jonathan most likely had dress code demands of his own. Of course he couldn't blame Marilyn for obeying them, since he knew that she'd stop at nothing to achieve her dream, even if it included only wearing one earring in each ear (he'd let Marilyn squeeze his hand when she went to get three piercings at once).

Here she stood before him, and he couldn't believe his eyes. She really did look the same, even if her eyes were a bit more tired. She was still youthful and had the same determined spring in her step that he'd been trying to incorporate into his stride for years. Of course it was her eyes that were the most captivating feature about her. Having icy blue eyes must have been a selling point to allow her to be the first Indian-American female news anchor. Her skin was so warm and completely glowing, giving her the welcoming feature that presenters required, but her eyes made her the perfect person to present the news. They weren't harsh, just definite, bright and serious, giving her an edge that no other woman could compete with, whether that was Ophelia Clancy or not.

"A little bird told me that you got your name on the wall," she smiled genuinely, her eyes twinkling at his success, which was the only thing that made it worth it. She crossed her arms, giving Harvey the chance to note that there was no ring on her wedding finger. "Congratulations, Harvey."

He nodded in gratitude. "Something tells me you say those three words every day, huh?" he began, watching how Marilyn's eyes lit up at the mention of those three words. Only he knew just what they meant to her, the blood, sweat and tears that were behind getting to them. "I know that was your dream, Lynn."

Marilyn's eyes glassed at the mention of her old nickname. It was an instant reminder of her past, including her past love for Harvey. That nickname vanished once their relationship did because the news anchor couldn't live with the fact that she'd chosen her career over the only man that made her feel worthy. There were times when she felt guilty about having made that choice, having decided that she wasn't willing to do long-distance because of what damage it could have done to her budding career.

Of course she'd waited for him, she waited for years; but having said that, she knew that it was foolish to expect Harvey to simply run back into her arms with a top-notch law degree. She knew that once she'd let him go, allowed him to prioritise his career over his relationship just like she had done, she was releasing him back into the wild with no promise that he would ever return. He was bound to get as sucked into the working world as she was, especially with the possibility of getting his name on the wall.

"You here for Jonathan? Because you won't find him -" she began, after clearing her throat. The silence had lingered enough for Harvey to understand that what he'd said certainly hit a nerve, but he sure as hell didn't regret it. Allowing that name to spill from his lips sent waves through his body that he hadn't experienced since he was 21.

"I've spoken with him," was all he could muster as a reply, watching as Marilyn's face dropped at the fact that he was here to do more than pay her a visit. He observed how she inhaled sharply, her posture stiffening as her stare hit the floor.

"So you're here for me, then," she muttered softly, smiling sadly. Of course she'd seen it coming, she was an intelligent woman. That being said, part of her wanted to relish in the fact that she was reunited with the man that dominated her midnight thoughts rather than accept that he hadn't seen her with the intention of congratulating her. Although, she knew that she couldn't blame him, since she'd avoided him the minute she realised DBC was one of his clients.

"I need - Jonathan needs - you to be a witness, Marilyn," he stated, not detesting the fact that he needed her as much as he had presumed he would. He had expected Marilyn to look a little shocked, and was slightly surprised to see her laugh as if she had predicted where this conversation was going from the get-go. Guilt sunk his stomach as he realised how selfish he appeared, knowing all too well that the only opinion on his character that genuinely mattered to him was Marilyn's.

"I can't help you, Harvey," she replied instantly, prepared to turn her back on the desperate lawyer. Part of him was in shock at how quick she had been to dismiss him, however he couldn't blame her at all, even if he did believe that their connection meant more to her than a quick dismissal.

"DBC needs your testimony, Marilyn," he blurted desperately, fully aware that if this didn't convince her, nothing would. "Everything you worked for could go down the drain." Instantly, Marilyn turned around and scoffed at him, as if she knew something that he didn't.

"What do you think will happen if I testify, Harvey? You think I'll still be a worthy news anchor? A reliable source? What about my reputation?" she questioned bitterly, watching as Harvey dropped his shoulders in defeat. The good thing about him knowing her all too well as that he knew when to stop. He knew that Marilyn's career was untouchable and it made him wonder what she'd done to become a success story.

"The man that got you on air is going to crumble without you, Lynn. I know how you feel about gratitude, so prove it," he attempted once more, realising that Marilyn did indeed wince at the thought of Jonathan's reputation falling rapidly. She paused, shoulders dropping and sighed.

"Jonathan and I agreed that I would be completely neutral on this story, Harvey. Nothing you say or do will change that," she said with soft eyes and a sympathetic expression. As her eyes met Harvey's, she realised that this would make him stop pushing and whilst she should have been thankful, she felt guilty that she couldn't help him.

Harvey knew that without Marilyn's support, Riley-Smith was going to look like the ultimate demon. If the one woman who he had fully supported and brought from nothing to something refused to help him he was indeed a guilty man. Despite all of this, Harvey couldn't use his thoughts against the one woman he'd loved. After all, she was a career-driven, ambition-orientated woman that deserved to stay at the top of her game. Even if this was going to make his life harder, he'd rather Marilyn kept a hold of her livelihood.

"Let me at least you buy you dinner," Harvey insisted.

Marilyn merely laughed at his proposal, gathering the papers on her desk. "You may have been able to buy other witnesses, Harvey, but that's never going to work on me."

"That's not why I'm doing this and you know it," Harvey pushed, his tone harsher at the fact that she thought so lowly of him. Instantly, Marilyn swallowed the lump in her throat guiltily, clearing her throat softly as her gaze remained on the papers before her.

"Fine. We can have dinner, but I don't want to hear one word about the case."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

773 24 23
Harvey, the successful lawyer, must take time out from his successful life and embark on an uncertain, difficult journey that will demand everything...
67.2K 2.3K 25
tragedy can tear any love story apart. original by tragedy101
2.1K 429 25
๐‘๐ž๐š๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐…๐ข๐ง๐ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ
21.1K 1K 30
when Playboy fall in love with his own best friend, but his best friend had a crush on someone else. It's not easy to find a special one. They will m...