A pawn to Success

By Rhanao

"Damian, please." I started pleading. I knew that what was about to come, couldn't be good. As his hand gentl... More

Part 1
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
part 9
Part 10
part 11
Part 12

part 2

90 3 0
By Rhanao

On my way there I stared out the window and prayed I'd get something out of this evening. But I decided to enjoy it no matter what.

My anti-social ass hoped I'd enjoy it I mean. But getting nearer and nearer to the destination gave me anxiety. Once I arrived and paid the driver, I let out a small sigh staring at the people gathering around, talking and smiling. "Great, now what? " I thought out loud.

The building was beautiful and definitely filled with privileged people. Mixing with them would be difficult, nearly impossible, so instead of making an effort to communicate I decided to sit at the bar and wait.
"Hi. Can I have a soda please?" I asked the bartender.
"No wine?" a man next to me asked. "No, not today" I sounded dismissive, on purpose. Men in general made me nervous, and I can't give him any ambiguous ideas. Anyway, with my life experience, can you blame me?

So without looking at him I took my glass and stood up. I definitely needed to run, before he started a full conversation. Relieved that I got away, I started searching for my seat at the back, next to the reporters. I was minding my own business by sipping my drink and waiting for the thing to begin.

Little did I know that people were watching me. I mean, I really don't want to sound obnoxious, but do you know that feeling when you're sure someone is staring at you? I didn't have the balls to look around and find out who it was though. So I read through the folder that I found on my seat and ignored that feeling.

Finally a spokesman got on the podium and instructed everyone to get to their seats. The seat next to mine got taken by a gorgeous woman, who looked like a reporter, ready to take her notes.
"Hi, my name's Julie, nice to meet you." she said smiling widely at me.
"Hi, Julie nice to meet you too, my name is Isabelle" I said shaking her hand.

"Finally" she said.
"Huh?"
"Sorry, I've been here an hour already, so I'm effing bored" I smiled at her bluntness. "Why did you get here so early anyway?" I asked her.
"My boss, he's here with his business partners, I'm his secretary, aka, his maid, that's why." she sighed.

"Yeah, that sucks" I said, hoping she wouldn't ask me what I was doing there.
"So what do you do?" she asked still smiling. Well shit, I was hoping I wouldn't embarrass myself today, but here we go.

"I received an invitation, so I came, don't do anything in particular at the moment though." I said shaking my head and looking away slightly embarrassed.

"So you got here on your own free will? That's quite admirable" she said surprised. I laughed again. "Just thought I could do something more useful with my time you know. Plus, maybe a job opportunity that could turn my way here." she nodded and that's when the spokesperson made his announcement that they would finally start with their first speaker.

Surprisingly 40 minutes of pure knowledge went by, many people from various countries gave their take on many interesting topics. And I quite enjoyed them. The last person to present was announced. Right then I felt the urge to visit the restroom as fast as possible.

"Next, we have a very requested guest who'll talk about his personal rise to success, I introduce to you Mister Damian Romano" people started clapping and even Julie sat up straight. Damn, this Romano guy must be popular. But I had my own priorities at the moment, something else I was worrying about: my bladder that was on the verge of exploding.

Just when I wanted to get up a familiar looking man appeared in front of the crowd. I stared in awe. He looked so young, couldn't be older than 30, maybe late 20s? And he looked pretty dang good in that suite. He definately looked like he had a good life.

Just then and there I remembered I had to piss. So as silently as possible I got up from my seat, and walked away hunched over, trying to find the restroom.
Well, f€ck, where the f&ck was the f%cking toilet. I was getting VERY frustrated. Finally I saw the sign and ran for my dear life.
Exiting the toilet there were 2 men in black standing next to the men's bathroom. Timidly I walked past them, noticing them getting back to the hall behind me. Still don't like the feeling of people walking behind me. 'Oh shut up Isabella' I thought to myself, sometimes my weird thoughts feed my paranoia.

When getting back to the hall, I saw how concentrated and focused everyone was on the presenter, Damian Romano was his name. Where have I heard this name before?

Instead of getting back to my seat, I decided to stand by the door, waiting for him to finish his speech. I was afraid of disturbing the others by walking back to my seat. So I leaned back against the door and listened. I kinda understood why his presence was so captivating, and it weren't only those looks of his that did the work, but his demeanor as well. He used the right words at the right time and kept everyone's attention on him every second of his speech. Sometimes I had to cringe though, it reminded me of the forced office jokes one makes to keep up with the rest.

"To conclude, Delta enterprise is something I worked on very hard, from the age of 20 it grew and formed into one of the world's biggest companies. So the last advise I could give anyone here is: start now before someone else starts in your place and expect the unexpected, because you never know when your time will come. Thank you." and of course people clapped like crazy. Bootlickers.

Delta enterprise, with its CEO being Damian Romano, of course. The first time I heard of him was when I was still studying at uni, where many mentioned his rise to success in their papers because of the hype it created. He was a popular topic. In general his example of a hard work ethic was used to motivate students. The business plan he installed for his company was astounding, in the sense that it apparently guaranteed a success rate of 90%. That plan many tried to figure out. There was even a spreading rumor about an attempt to assassinate him, or about a spy inside his own company who tried to steal and sell the program on the black market. All of it allegedly, even though reports and files had been published online.

He posed a big threat to other companies on the world's market floor, so this 'rich people's game' it created wasn't surprising me.

When everyone finished clapping and he got off the podium I got back to my seat, trying to remain invisible while the crowd was spreading out. "Hey where did you disappear to?" Julie asked. "Oh, I suddenly needed to visit the restroom, hope I didn't miss too much" I said sitting down. "Omg, you actually did, Damian Romano was speaking." she said overly excited. "I know, I got to listen to the last part."

"He's gorgeous, I mean I'd dream of being his secretary" she said biting her lip. I had to laugh at that, she was too funny and down to earth. "His secretary or lover?" I said still laughing. "Oh shut it, ..., both. " she said shamelessly blushing. "I understand, Julie, I'm not judging." I laughed.

"Well what am I hearing, Julie, dreaming of another boss already and you've only worked 1 year for me" an English sounding amused voice intervened. I saw Julie's face turn ghostly white now. That handsome man must be her boss then?

"I apologize, Mister Colling, it was a joke. I did take notes though!" she said while putting on a cute act.

"Nothing to apologize for Julie, we all know what both women and men think of mister Romano, it's not very surprising." mister Colling added. "And this is your friend?" he asked, noticing me on the side.

"Oh, this is Isabelle, Isabelle this is Mr Colling." she said smiling. "Pleased to meet you, Miss Isabelle" he said shaking my hand. "Isabelle Alverez" I said smiling back. "Nice to meet you as well, Mister Colling."

"I just met Isabelle and already feel like we've known each other for years, very nice to have met you." she said. I continued smiling. I really liked Julie, it's been a while since I met someone this genuine in my life. I do tend to trust people far too easily, but she seemed like the real deal to me.

"Well, if my secretary likes you that means a lot." Mr Colling pointed out. "She has a distaste for many of my business partners." he said chuckling. "Well, that's because they can be very untrustworthy, to put it simply." Julie explained.

"Speaking of partners, we have to meet some right now." he said, to which Julie nodded and looked back at me.

"Can we exchange numbers Isabelle, let's keep in touch." she said. "Gladly" I said delighted. So we exchanged numbers and said our goodbyes.

"It was nice meeting you Ms Alverez, maybe next time you'll have some wine with us." he said winking and leaving with a smile plastered on his face. And that's when I remembered the man at the bar. It was him. Oh God, he must think I'm a stuck up b@tch for ignoring him back there. Great. Also, this is not how you get a job oppertunity!

That was it then, I thought. Time to get back home and continue searching for jobs. Just when I was about to leave I made contact with a man, my worst enemy, the man I once loved and then loathed. Nate. He was approaching me, 'oh shit, what do I do??'. In my head I was panicking, almost hyperventilating, but I tried to keep it cool.

"Isabelle, long time no see." he said with a smug face.

"Would love for it to be longer, what do you want Nate." I said crossing my arms. He hasn't changed one bit, still the same condescending tone and expression. "Oh why so negative Isabelle dear, can't you be more positive for once." he said, which annoyed the shit out of me, but I stayed silent.

"I heard you got fired" he said all of a sudden. How? How did he know, then I remembered, of course, he was friends with Stan, who was his partner in business as well.

"Yes, no regrets there." I said coldly.

"Well, you should. Try to keep a job and not get fired again sweetie. How are you going to survive without a man or a job?" yes he said that. Gosh how could I have ever loved him? Oh how money can change people. I was so angry with myself for even looking his way.

"You know very well who Stan is and you know what he tried with me. And still you don't change your tone, Nate? How could you? I don't get you." I said with my frustration showing. 'Don't let him get to you Isabelle, hold yourself together, please' I thought.

"Who cares? He has his needs and you should have endured it. Maybe you just didn't want the job enough." he said casually smirking down at me. And that's when I couldn't hold it in anymore.

The moment a waiter passed by with a tray filled with champagne glasses, I took my chance and splashed some of it on this idiot's face. You'd think the champagne would cool him down, but it's the other way around, his face started fuming. Now I was more than eager to leave this place, but he grabbed my forearm and almost squeezed the life out of it.

"You, b$tch" that would leave a bruise for sure. People were watching us, mumbling things to one another. Once he noticed that he let go of me and I walked away as fast as possible, keeping my head low. This was extremely embarrassing, why me? Why, just why? Nothing could have prepared me for this. Not only did he ruin my life, this moron screwed up my evening too.

I got out of the main hall and called a cab with a shaky voice. I tried to swallow down the lump that formed in my throat. When I saw the car arrive I braced myself and rushed towards it, but bumped into someone all of a sudden. "Excuse me" I said having to look up to meet his gaze. It was Damian Romano, but that moment I couldn't care less about who it was. When I tried to step aside, he confronted me. "Watch out next time" well, no shit sir, thank you for the advise. "I will, please excuse me, Mr Romano" I said, letting him know, I knew who he was. "You're excused, Ms Alverez" I heard him say. I looked at him, surprised, frowning, astonished. But I also had to get my cab, the poor man is waiting, time is money to him too. I didn't look back and got into the car. Recalling what had happened again and again.

Maybe sleep would help, I was just very tired of everything. That's all.

*****************************

I couldn't remember how I got home that evening, I only recall being extremely tired and getting into my bed. The next morning I decided to go out for a run to keep my mind occupied. If that was even possible. 

"Ugh stop thinking about it already" I tried to convince myself. I started running, enjoying every bit of it. Once I got to the river I slowed down and admired the sunrise, it was this simple to make me feel happy. 

Suddenly my phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hi, Isabelle?"

"Julie? Hey, how're you doing?" I asked. To be honest I wasn't expecting her to call me, or even remember who I was.

"I'm good, thanks for asking, Isabelle, I know it's very early in the morning, but I thought I'd give you a call. I'm actually going to a party with some friends this evening, we'd be glad to have you with us, care to join?" she asked enthusiastically.

"Oh, I don't know about that. I'd love to, but I don't know if I'll feel like it later this day."

"Oh come on Isabelle, it'll be fun, you need to loosen up a little bit" she continued. "I know" I sighed. 

"You know what? Let me think about it, I'll let you know beforehand."

"Great! So we're gathering at 10.30 pm at Marquee. Please be there" I laughed.

"Can't promise anything right now, Julie, but thanks for calling"

"Whatever, see you there, kisses"

"Bye" I hung up and decided to run back to my place. When I started nearing my apartment I felt really weird. It was like someone/something was following me. Sounds cliché I know, but it was the same feeling I had yesterday. Before entering the apartment block I tried to look around and observe my surroundings as discrete as possible. 

Once I did get inside I let it go. No need to be feeling more stressed than I already was. I sighed and got to work. I continued searching for jobs and sent my application everywhere I could. I thought I tried every existing company in New York, when I noticed I subconsciously skipped 1. Delta enterprise. Oh God, it's a very big and famous company, the chances of me getting in are extremely small. 

Still, I decided to visit their website. There was a possibility to upload my resume. Should I? I was contemplating it a lot, I didn't understand why. It's not like it was any different from other companies? So eventually I send it.

A few hours went by and I decided that instead of waiting for any response I'd be watching a movie, or really do anything to let some time pass. I noticed I forgot to close some unnecessary  tabs and suddenly something caught my eye.

"A mail, from Delta enterprise" I had to reread that a few times and refresh the page, just to be sure. I still couldn't believe it. I hadn't opened it yet and suddenly changed my thought. Maybe it was only a confirmation mail, confirming they received my mail.

"OK, calm down, just open the damn e-mail already" I literally argued with myself.

I clicked.

They answered me back. Offering a job interview next Monday. They also gave me some topics to prepare for, regarding international trade within a certain sector. Euphoric feelings washed over me. How was this even possible!?

Suddenly my phone rang, I knew it was Julie, because sadly no one else would want to call me apparently.

"Isabelle please tell me you're cominggg" Julie cried out. "2 people already ditched me today. Don't you dare be the 3rd one!"

"Julie, I'm in!" I almost screamed.

"Really? What happened? You suddenly sound so happy?"

"Julie, I AM happy and I can't wait to see you today!" I rambled.

"OMG I'm so glad you turned a 180 on me, I'll see you there then, wear something sexy!"

"Hahahaha noted, see you there too, bye" I put down the phone and fell into my bed letting out a squeal of happiness. Immediately I started summarizing the topics and researching them. Pleased with my work I thought about the possible questions they could ask me. This was an opportunity I wasn't allowed to miss, I want to give it my everything.

It was getting late, and I was ready to leave. I wore a simple black dress with straps with a flimsy vest on top. Something I would never wear in my daily life.

When I got there I immediately noticed Julie and waved at her. "Hey, so happy you made it!" she said hugging me. "Me too" I chuckled, hugging her back.

"Isabelle, this is Jenifer, Tanya and Sam, girls this is Isabelle" she introduced us and we went along pretty fast. I couldn't believe I was out, communicating and having... fun?

"Oh and there's James, aka Mr Colling" she said casually wiggling her eyebrows.

"Please just call me James, we're off work" he got there with some tickets in his hands. The girls started squealing and jumping noticing the VIP tickets. "VIP?" the girl named Jenifer smiled widely. "Well, yes of course, what else did you expect from me?" he said with a haughty grin.

"Isabelle, it's nice to see you here with us" he said turning to me completely, while everyone else was still busy being excited with the invites.

"Very surprising, but nice to see you too" I said smiling. 

"You look ... stunning" he said in a playful manner. I laughed. "Thanks, you don't look too bad yourself. Ready for the party?" I asked.

"Only if you are" he said offering me his arm. What a flirt, but he had his charms. "Well yes, I definitely am" I said accepting it. "Girls, let's go!" Julie yelled and so we entered. It was weird seeing Julie party with her boss, but it shouldn't affect me if it doesn't affect them.

An hour into the dancing I felt tired already. I haven't partied in a very long time, so this sudden and big amount of fun was a little difficult for me to adjust to. Even running didn't take this much energy out of me. I sat down at the table trying to catch my breath. 

"Isabelle come on, I need you on the dance floor!" Julie screamed. "I'll be back, give me a moment. Where do you get this energy from anyway?"

"Oh, this is just my natural habitat." she screamed. I laughed and decided to freshen myself up. Off to the restroom. Seeing my reflection in the mirror gave a slight shock: lipstick smudged, hair disheveled, at least my eyebrows were still intact.

On my way back I bumped into James. I noticed he looked the same way he looked back at the conference. Does he always wear a suit?

"Julie misses you there. Please save me from the torment." he said laughing.

"I've been her dance partner for the last hour, hope she didn't replace me yet." I said laughing. Before getting back to the dancing he got us a drink, as we sat down for a minute.

"So, you're the boss that likes to party then?" I asked while sipping my drink.

"I love my work, but I need something aside from that. Otherwise I'm afraid I'd go completely mad."

"You're right, and seeing your relationship with your employees is quite refreshing. I can see that they like you."

"Well, I hope they do." he said laughing. "Julie has worked for my company for 1 year now, but she still calls herself my poor servant" he chuckled. "Well, is she?" I asked laughing.

"She's a well paid servant then." he said jokingly.

Eventually we got back to where Julie was.

I felt like both Julie and James were spontaneous people; the way they were working together yesterday was weird, but their bond was admirable. He was a nice boss to have, and definitely not someone who would disrespect his workers; he definitely was flirty, but with no harmful thoughts in the back of his head.

I can't be wrong about him.

That evening James dropped everyone off one by one, by then Julie was unsurprisingly unconscious already. Apparently she lived together with Jenifer. At last he dropped me off safely. We said our goodbyes and I waited for him to leave before planning on getting inside.

..........

It was very dark in this alley  with a few defect lights flickering in the creepy silence. On top of that I had a hard time finding the keys in my purse. "Shit" I cursed out loud when the cold wind hit my bare skin. 

As I continued struggling for a very long minute, I suddenly heard a car ride by. I got the creeps when it seemed to slow down and park on the road behind me. 

"Come on, hurry up and get inside." I whispered to myself.

Now I was panicking. Can my nerves give me a break...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

641K 13.8K 43
I glare at him, "I gave you information, so you let me go. That was the deal." He raises an eyebrow, "Are you forgetting who you're talking to? Watch...
79K 1.3K 39
"You can't avoid me forever Lara" I chuckled "I'm ignoring you, you idiot" "Is it?" he slowly came towards me and pressed my body with his. Now I'm c...
3.4K 184 22
I could still feel the numbness in my limbs and the piercing pain on my shoulder as I tried to adjust my eyes to the light. There was a constant bang...
52.6K 1.1K 43
"Everything of you is a non-existing dangerous drug, Natalia. And I'm addicted to it." He whispered in my ear. He brushed his nose on my neck and th...