Peony

By PrincessSelene04

Peony and her aunt Iko live in the crowded city of Milwaukee. As Peony continues to get dreams of her parents... More

PART ONE
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven

Chapter Five

604 21 15
By PrincessSelene04

The sun was setting, golden light filtering through the windows of Kai's office. The small clock on his desk read 18:51.

"I don't know if I can wait much longer, Kai."

Cinder was pacing, the train of her deep blue silk dress trailing behind her. It was almost funny--after relatively two decades of wearing fancy clothes she still wasn't used to the feel of them on her skin.

She felt terrible about the decision they made nearly sixteen years ago. It had been slowly eating at her the entire time. She never wanted to send her daughter away, even if she was safer that way.

Kai stood up from behind his desk. He walked over to Cinder, forcing her to stop by wrapping his arms around her and embracing her.

"I know, neither can I. But it's only a couple more weeks. Then she'll be home...for good. And we'll be able to stop worrying."

She buried her face closer to the  shoulder of his silken black shirt. "What happens if she hates us, if she can't forgive us?" Cinder's head was throbbing. She should be crying right now, but she couldn't; it was impossible.

Kai started stroking her long brown hair. Though the motion comforted her, she still didn't feel completely relieved.

"Don't think like that, Cinder. It's only going to hurt you more." He said quietly.

She pulled her head away from his shoulder, staring into his copper-brown eyes. "How can I not?"

"We were young. We did what was best for her and that's all that matters. She's safe and happy. Iko has raised her pretty well from what we know."

"That's just it. We don't know who she is or what she's had to deal with. We were never really her parents. Iko is more her mother than I am, and that's what hurts so much about this. We know nothing about her, Kai!"

Kai pulled her against him again. Cinder could feel the hurt emanating off of him. His bioelectricty showed his sadness and pain. She hugged him tightly, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," He choked.

She looked back up at him--a single tear slid down his cheek. "I'm so sorry," she apologized again, wiping the tear away with her thumb. It was times like this that she wished she could cry like he did.

"It's not you," He looked down and took both her hands in his. "It's that you're right. We have no idea who she is because we've never been there for her like parents should."

"Konn Torin would like permission to enter, Your Majesties." Nainsi interrupted. It was still the same personality chip, just a different body.

Kai looked over to the sliding door, "Permission granted."

Torin entered the room only a moment later. He saw how Kai and Cinder had their arms wrapped around each other, and their expressions were solemn. "Sorry to interrupt but we were unable to reach you."

"What is it?" Cinder questioned eagerly.

"Well, Carswell and Crescent Thorne are here and they wish to speak with you right away."

"What are they doing here?" Kai asked. Cress and Thorne lived in New York, why would they be in New Beijing?

"They didn't say, but they did mention that it was important."

Cinder didn't hesitate for even a second, "Send them in." Torin bowed and left the room. "When is he going to retire?" She wondered.

"This July. I already sighed the documents." Kai said with a slight smile.

They pulled apart from their embrace as door slid open again, this time a blonde male and female walking through. "Thorne, Cress, what brings you here?"

Cress hugged Cinder, "It's so good to see you again!" Cress smiled.

"You too. How are Sage and Odette? Are they here too?" Cinder asked.

"Odette is."

This confused Cinder--the family was almost always together. "Where's Sage?"

"That's why we're here, actually..." Thorne shifted uncomfortably, rocking back and forth on his heels. Thorne uncomfortable? What the stars is going on?

"What do you mean?" Kai asked.

Cress started, "That's the hard part--"

"We're not exactly sure if it's what he's doing--" Thorne continued.

"But he commed us saying it's what he's doing--" She argued.

"We can't be too sure though--"

Cinder didn't like all the wasted time and she knew Kai didn't either, "Just spit it out, Thorne!"

Cress slowly handed her a portscreen and nodded.

Cinder looked down and started reading.

04 APR 146 T.E.
MOM I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO WORRY, BUT DON'T. I'M FINE, OKAY? I SNUCK OUT LAST NIGHT BECAUSE I KNOW YOU AND DAD WOULD NEVER HAVE LET ME LEAVE. I'M GOING TO FIND CINDER AND KAI'S DAUGHTER. I THINK I KNOW WHERE SHE IS, AND SHE NEEDS TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT HER FAMILY. PLEASE TRY NOT TO WORRY ABOUT ME TOO MUCH BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH I KNOW DAD AND ODETTE WILL ASSURE YOU I'M FINE--WHICH I AM--I KNOW YOU WILL STILL WORRY. I'LL COMM YOU WHEN I GET A CHANCE.
SAGE

Cinder stared at screen. How could Sage have figured it out? How could he have any clue as to where her daughter was?  And if he really did know, did that mean Levana did too?

"What is it?" Kai inquired from beside her. Mouth hanging open in shock, she passed the port over to him. The room was silent as he read it. Cinder could feel Cress and Thorne didn't want to say anything. Kai looked up, his brow creased in concern.

"Kai?" Cinder put her cyborg hand--now covered in skin grafting--on his shoulder.

"We need to comm Iko, right now."

Thorne motioned to the door, "Should we go--?"

"No. We need you to tell Iko everything you know, even any suspicions."

"Of course." Cress agreed.

Cinder went over to the netscreen that was on the wall, calling Iko. She waited impatiently. She needed to know that her daughter was safe. "Come on, Iko, answer!" She said under her breath.

Finally Iko's middle-aged escort droid face showed up on the screen. "Hi Cinder, Kai!" She smiled. "And...Cress, Captain? What are you two doing in New Beijing?"

"Iko that's why we're calling--"

"Well you have about two hours until Peony wakes up, so what is it?"

Thorne stepped in front of the netscreen, "Iko go check on her."

"Why?"

"Just do it." Kai said.

"No need to be grumpy..." Iko mumbled as she walked out of the view of the screen.

"Do you think he already found her?" Cinder asked Thorne.

He looked down at her, "Remind me how we found Cress."

"I told you where to find me." Cress said, standing next to Thorne.

"I know. But Sage has been hiding in his room a lot lately, I think he may have been hacking into some stuff. Possibly your calls with Iko."

"She's not there!" Iko screamed, panicking. She started pacing in front of the screen. "What did I do wrong? She's never snuck out before. How could I let this happen? I'm a terrible person. Why would you ever trust me with something like this--?"

"Shit." Cinder said under her breath.

"Iko! Relax, we're almost positive it was just Sage." Kai said.

She stopped, "Sage? What do you mean?"

"He decided to be a hero and go looking for her. He left four days ago." Cress answered.

"What do I do?"

__________________________________________________

Hey Lunartics!

I'm sorry that this update as taken almost two months...The chapter was deleted and in I've had a lot of family problems in the past two weeks...so that's been "great" :( I hope you liked it, though :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.8K 2K 30
Izuku Midoriya, neglected and bullied due to his lack of a quirk, endured abuse from his family and friends, especially his twin sister Izumi and Kat...
157K 11.3K 61
BOOK #2 They say love heals scars, but Seokmin's scars were lessons-bitter reminders that twisted him into a creature of darkness. His life was a ser...
126K 7.5K 91
"Great news! Wei WuXian has died!" "Wait- WHAT?!" "But I'm still here." The juniors (Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, Jin Ling, and Ouyang Zizhen) accidentall...
1.7M 98.7K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...