The life of Eve De La Cruz

By Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Four

453 11 0
By Lilith_Deckerstar

May 1913

During daylight hours, Eve decides to get Mary out of the house by taking her to the village. After arriving, Mary and Eve saw that the fair was in the final stages of being set up. They stopped and watched it being set up when Anna approached them.

"Good day, Miladies," Anna greeted them before asking, "Is Her Ladyship all right? Has she recovered from...?"

"If you think she'll ever recover from carrying the body of Mr. Pamuk from one side of the house to the other, then you don't know her at all," Mary replied as she, Anna, and Eve turned and walked away.

"Well, I didn't mean recover, exactly, just...get past it," Anna reworded her question.

"She won't do that either. When she dies, they'll cut her open and find it engraved on her heart," She told Anna.

"What about you? What about your heart?" Anna asked.

"Haven't you heard? I don't have a heart. Everyone knows that," Mary said.

"Not me, Milady."

"Nor I," Eve said, "You do have a heart, Mary. You just chose not to wear it on your sleeve."

A bit later that day, Eve was in the kitchen helping Mrs. Patmore before joining her cousins and aunt. Anna walks into the kitchen, wiping her nose with a handkerchief.

"You've got a cold. I want you out of here," Mrs. Patmore told her.

Mrs. Hughes walks into the kitchen, "Anna, there you are. You know I'm out tonight because I don't want to come home to any surprises."

"That'll be the day," Mrs. Patmore laughed.

"We thought we might go to the fair later," Anna said to Mrs. Huges before turning to Daisy, "You'd like that, wouldn't you, Daisy?

"You ought to go," Mrs. Patmore told Daisy, "She's been that down in the mouth since the death of poor Mr. Pamuk."

"Don't say that," Daisy told Mrs. Patmore.

"She has."

"We could all walk down together after the service dinner if that's okay," Anna said before she sneezed.

"You won't be walking anywhere. She's got minutes to live by the sound of it," Mrs. Patmore said.

"Go to bed at once," Mrs. Huges said to Anna.

"Yes, Mrs. Hughes," Anna replied.

"I'll stop by and check on you later, Anna," Eve said before Anna left the kitchen.

"Right, if there's anything you want to ask me, it'll need to be before I go."

"What would I want to ask you?" Mrs. Patmore asked Mrs. Huges, "I'm preparing a meal for Lord and Lady Grantham and the girls. No one is visiting. No one is staying."

"Well...that's settled, then," Mrs. Huges said before leaving the kitchen and going on with her tasks.

A bit later that day, in the village, Sybil, Edith, and Cora walked towards the car where Branson waited.

"Why are Sybil and Eve having a new dress and not me?" Edith asked.

"Because it's their turn," Cora told her.

"Can it be our choice this time?" Sybil asked.

"Please, Aunt Cora," Eve insisted.

"Of course, darling. As long as you choose what I choose," Cora replied before informing Tom Branson, the new Chauffer, as they reached the car, "Branson, you'll be taking Lady Sybil and Eve to Ripon tomorrow. They'll be leaving after luncheon."

"Certainly, Your Ladyship."

"Poor old Madame Swann. I don't know why we bother with fittings. She always makes the same frock," Sybil complained as they climbed into the car.

"She's right," Eve agreed with Sybil.

"What do you want her to make?" Edith asked.

"Something new and exciting.

"Heavens, look at the time. Not a minute to change. And Granny's invited herself for dinner," Cora told them.

"Then she can jolly well wait," Sybil said.

"So, women's rights begin at home, I see. Well, I'm all for that," Cora said. The ladies chuckle, and Branson drives off.

When dinner ended, Violet argued against Sybil's wishes for school as they left the dining room to the drawing room.

"Sybil, Sybil, darling, why would you want to go to a real school?" Violet questioned, "You're not a doctor's daughter."

"But nobody learns anything from a governess apart from French and how to curtsy," Sybil replied.

"Well, what else do you need?"

"Well, there's—" Sybil began before she was interrupted by Violet.

"Are you thinking of a career in banking?"

"No, but it is a noble profession," Sybil argued.

"Things are different in America," Cora told Violet.

"I know. They live in wigwams," VIolet insulted.

"And when they come out of them, they go to school."

"If Sybil wishes to go to school, then she should," Eve told Violet as they entered the drawing room and sat down, "Having an education means that there are countless opportunities for you to choose."

They continued to argue, Violet being the only one against it, about Sybil wanting to go to school and didn't notice Mary coming into the room. A while later, Mr. Carson comes into the drawing room.

"Would you like me to ask Branson to bring the car around, My Lady?" He asked Violet.

"Where's Robert?" She asked, "He can't have been drinking port since we left, he'd be under the table by now."

"His Lordship's in the library," Mr. Carson informed her.

"All alone? Oh, how sad."

"No, he's--" Mr. Carson began before being interrupted by Mary.

"We can say goodbye to Papa for you, Granny."

Violet looked from Mr. Carson to Mary and back at Caron again before asking, "He's what?"

"He's with Mr. Crawley, My Lady."

Violet then got up and walked to the door that joined the drawing room to the library. Mary tried to persuade her to leave it alone and sit back down, but it was pointless. Violet walked into the room, and Mary followed shortly after.

After leaving the drawing room, Eve went to the kitchen to grab something for Hera and saw Mr. Bates preparing a small meal.

"Good evening, Mr. Bates," She greeted.

"Good evening, Miss Eve."

"What are you doing? If you don't mind me asking."

"It's quite alright, Miss Eve. I thought that since Anna is sick in bed, I could bring her up some dinner," Mr. Bates replied.

"If you want, I could help. I used to help cook in the kitchen in St. Mary's when I was a little girl," Eve told him," Now, it was merely prep work, but as time went on, my skills in the kitchen improved, and I am now able to prepare delicious meals."

"I would be grateful if you help me, Miss Eve."

Eve helped Mr. Bates make dinner for Anna. Eve got some flowers from the garden and put them in a vase before Mr. Bates took the tray to Anna in the Servent's corridors. Eve smiled as she saw him disappear and knew something between him and Anna was growing. Eve then went into the pantry and got a snack for Hera before going to her room.

Eve was in her room, getting her nurse uniform on because after she and Sybil go to see Madame Swann about their frock Eve will have her shift at the hospital when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," She said.

The door opened, and Sybil and Gwen came into the room smiling.

"Eve, Gwen has gotten a letter from one of the advertisements she answered, and they want to meet her," Sybil said.

"That's fantastic. Congratulations, Gwen."

"Thank you, Miss. We just have one problem," Gwen said.

"What is the problem?" Eve asked.

"Gwen can't take the day off, so I thought she could pretend to be ill while we all go to the interview," Sybil replied, "We just need you to make a diagnosis."

"That sounds perfect. Now, Gwen, for this to work I need you to show symptoms of being ill. The symptoms Anna has been having are sneezing and coughing. Then we're all set for your interview," Eve said.

Later that day, Tom Branson drove Sybil and Eve to Ripon for their new frocks. Their journey started with silence, Sybil was glancing in her purse, and Eve looked at the scenery around them.

"Will you have your own way, do you think? With the frock?" Branson asked them, and the two looked at him, "Only, I couldn't help overhearing yesterday," He explained and addressed Sybil, "And from what Her Ladyship said, it sounded as if you support women's rights."

"I suppose, I do. We both do," Sybil replied.

"Because I'm quite political. In fact, I brought some pamphlets that I thought might interest you about the vote," Tom hands Sybil some pamphlets while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Thank you. But please don't mention this to my father, or my grandmother. One whiff of reform, and she hears the rattle of the guillotine," Sybil warned him.

"I agree. You should have seen the reaction when she learned that I was going to be a nurse," Eve told Branson.

"It seems rather unlikely, a revolutionary chauffeur," Sybil said.

"Maybe. But I'm a socialist, not a revolutionary," Branson corrected Sybil before adding, "And I won't always be a chauffeur.

After the meeting in Ripon, Branson dropped Eve off at the hospital. A short while later, Eve was in Dr. Clarkson's office with him and her Grandmama Violet when Isobel and Mr. Molesley walked in.

"Mrs. Crawley, how nice," Dr. Clarkson greeted.

"If you're busy, we can come back later," Isobel said.

"Molesley? What are you doing here? Are y—are you ill?" Violet questioned.

"Poor Mr. Molesley. Er, how's it going?" Dr. Clarkson asked.

"The solution doesn't seem to make it any better," Isobel told him.

"My imagination's running riot," Violet said.

Mr. Molesley shows her his hand, "I've got erysipelas, Your Ladyship."

"Oh. Oh, I am sorry."

"Mrs. Crawley tells me she's recommended nitrate of silver and tincture of steel," Dr. Clarkson told her.

"Why? Is she making a suit of armor?" Violet questioned.

"But, er, I take it there's been no improvement."

Mr. Molesley walks up to Dr. Clarkson's desk and shows him both of his hands, "Not really."

"And you're sure it's Erysipelas?" She asked Dr. Clarkson as she examined Mr. Molesley's hand.

"That is...Mrs. Crawley's diagnosis," He informed her.

"What it is to have medical knowledge," Violet said.

"It has its uses," Isobel told her.

"Mm. I see your father has been making changes at home," Violet said.

"He has, Milady," Mr. Molesley replied, "He's got no use for the herb garden now me mother's gone, so he's turned it to grass."

"And you've been helping him?" She asked.

"I have."

Violet chuckles, "Grubbing out the old rue hedge?"

"How did you know that?" Mr. Molesley asked.

"Because this is not Erysipelas. This is a rue allergy. If Molesley wears gardening gloves, it'll be gone in a week. Please, don't think we're ungrateful for your enthusiasm, Mrs. Crawley, but there comes a time when things are best left to the professionals," Violet explained, subtly rude to Isobel.

"But I—" Isobel tried to speak but was interrupted by Violet.

"And now I really—I really must go. Good day," Violet stood from the chair and walked to the door.

Mr. Molesley walks to the door before opening it for Violet, "Thank you, Your Ladyship."

Violet chuckles as she leaves Dr. Clarkson's office.

"Excuse me for a moment," Eve said before she left the room and rushed to her Grandmother, "Grandmama, I know that you only know that Mr. Molesley has a rue allergy because you have contracted it yourself on many occasions."

"True, but Mrs. Crawley needs to know that she isn't in charge of the hospital," Violet told Eve.

"And you are?"

Violet was shocked by her granddaughter's words, and she was not sure how to respond.

"Furthermore, you do not have a medical degree, Grandmama. Mrs. Crawley does, as do Dr. Clarkson and myself. Now, if you will excuse me, I must return to the Children's ward and read to them."

Eve left her Grandmother speechless as she walked away, but Eve's heart was pounding a little, and could only assume that what she was feeling was similar to what her mother was feeling when she decided to defy the head of the Crawley family: fear and courage.

That evening in Edith's room, Edith sat in front of her vanity while Anna put a necklace around her neck. Sybil stood beside them while Eve sat on Edith's bed, petting Hera's head.

"Golly, my corset's tight. Anna, when you've done that, would you be an angel and loosen it a bit?" Sybil requested.

"Mmm," Anna hummed a yes.

"The start of the slippery slope," Edith commented.

"I'm not putting on weight," Sybil argued.

"It didn't shrink in the drawer," She pointed out.

"Edith, please stop," Eve said.

Mary enters the room and asks, "Are you coming down?"

"I don't know why we bother with corsets. Men don't wear them, and they look perfectly normal in their clothes," Sybil said.

"Not all of them," Mary spoke.

"She's just showing off. She'll be on about the vote in a minute," Edith told Mary.

"If you mean, do I think women should have the vote, of course, I do, and so does Eve," Sybil defended.

"I hope you won't chain yourself to the railings and end up being force-fed Semolina."

"What do you think, Anna?" Mary asked.

"I think those women are very brave," Anna replied.

"Hear, hear," Sybil expressed her agreement.

"Amen," Eve agreed.

After dinner, everyone sat in the drawing room sipping tea.

"How did you get on with your dressmaker? Find anything?" Robert asked Eve and Sybil.

"We did. And she says she can have it done by Friday," Sybil informed.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come, but I didn't want to put Matthew off," He explained.

"Were you pleased with the cottages?" Edith asked her father.

"I think they're making a very good job of them. You must all go and see."

"You will restore a few every year from now on?" Cora asked.

"It was Matthew's idea. Old Cripps was rather reluctant, but I'm pleased we went forward," He continued.

"I suppose it's worth it," Edith said.

"Of course, it is, because of the people who will live in them," Sybil voiced.

"Agreed, everyone deserves a home," Eve said.

"You'll be glad to hear that Matthew's conscience is much more energetic than mine," Robert told them.

Lady Mary stood up and announced, "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed. I've rather a headache."

"Of course. Should I bring you something for it?" Cora questioned.

"No, I'll be perfectly fine if I can just lie down," Mary replied as she left the room.

"Mary..." Cora muttered before going after Mary.

Eve knew that the cause for Mary's departure was her Uncle talking about Matthew. She could see Mary's spirit dampen with every word he spoke of Matthew and could only hope that Mary would not let it bother her anymore and rise above.

The next day in Sybil's room. Eve and Sybil, with Gwen, with the boxes that contained their new frocks from Madame Swann.

"Is there anything more thrilling than a new frock?" Sybil said excitedly as she and Eve opened the boxes.

"I suppose not, Milady," Gwen replied. Sybil and Eve could tell that there was sadness in her voice.

Sybil goes to her wardrobe, "You shall have one, too."

"Sybil and I thought this would be suitable for your interview," Eve said.

"Well, I won't be wearing it, Miladies," Gwen told them.

"Of course, you will! We have to make you look like a successful professional woman," Sybil said as she held up the dress. Gwen then began to look upset and looked down at the floor," What is it? What's happened?"

"Well, I won't wear it because I'm not going," Gwen replied.

"What happened, Gwen?" Eve asked.

"They've canceled the appointment. They've found someone more suited for the post and better qualified."

"This time," Sybil said.

"Let's face it. There will never be anyone less suited for the post or worse qualified than I am," Gwen argued.

"That isn't true. You'll see. We're not giving up. No one hits the bull's eye with the first arrow," Sybil comforted.

"It's true. Did you think that any nursing school let me in on the first try? They didn't. My Uncle and Grandmother suggested that I use the Crawley name so it would persuade them to let me in, but I wanted to be let in based on my knowledge and my determination, not on my last name. And besides, I could not help but feel that my mother, father, and my father's family would roll in their graves if I ever did what they wanted me to do," Eve told Gwen and could see that Gwen was more confident after hearing the words of encouragement herself and Sybil.

That evening in Sybil's room, Anna helps Sybil and Eve dress in their new frocks. Anna fetches Sybil's and Eve's shoes. Sybil giggles as Anna fixes a cloth in her hair. Eve places her golden rose pin in her pun and puts her cross necklace on. They show off their complete look to Anna, causing Anna to giggle. Sybil and Eve rush down the stairs and enter the drawing room.

"Good evening, everyone," Sybil and Eve greeted.

Sybil shows off her new blue trouser frock, and Eve shows off her new lavender trouser frock. Everyone's jaws drop while Matthew grins. Branson peeks in through the window and smiles at Sybil.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 693 62
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...
94.6K 1.6K 33
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 the second eldest Crawley sister navigates life at Downton when a new heir arrives ⇥ matthew crawley x margaret crawley (oc...
24.8K 396 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...