Catching I Bruce Wayne

By apollosmeatballs

*COMPLETED* Skylar Marie Jones was a simple senior student at Metropolis University until she made one wrong... More

Welcome
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
VIIII
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII

XVI

3.8K 131 72
By apollosmeatballs

" Yes," he said, " I'm Batman,"

Skylar gasped even though she had figured the truth already, but hearing him say it aloud must've been different for her. " Oh my god!" she exclaimed. " How did you figure it out?" he asked.

She sighed. " I put the pieces together," she replied. Bruce gave her a look so she rolled her eyes. " Cmon," she breathed out, grabbing his hand and dragging him to the sofa. They both sat there and she turned to him.

" The calls and messages you keep getting. It's out of nowhere and suddenly you have to leave, and then there's a news flash that something has happened, Joker, Harley Quinn, someone. Plus, I've realized that whenever you have to leave, your infamous bat signal seems to be on," Skylar explained, smirking at the end.

Bruce shrugged. " Also, the fact that you have bruises all around your body," she admitted. He rolled his tongue. "Ah, you didn't miss that," he said. Skylar put up her hands in the air as a form of response. " It's kinda hard to miss, you know, when doing what we did,"

He nodded, not being able to answer. He had hoped she'd focus on other things on the night they spent together. Her point had led the conversation to somewhere else, where Bruce wasn't ready to talk, and she was quick to catch on it. She gulped before changing the topic, " And when you said you had enemies that would want to hurt you, it makes sense,"

"Wow," Bruce breathed out. " I mean, I knew you were smart but you are the first person to figure out my identity, ever," he added. It was true, the facade he had, the show he put on as Bruce Wayne, it was all really a play to keep his identity hidden.

Skylar smiled triumphantly. " It's probably because you never let someone close to you, it only took two months of being your friend, and great observational skills," she said. She was true, yet again. The only people who Bruce let get close to him was Alfred and Dick. He chucked at the last remark.

" So, the cat's out of the bag, I'm assuming you have questions," he said. Skylar nodded. " Yes, so many! Where do even begin? I can't believe this is real, wow, okay, here I go," she started rambling.

" How did you learn to fight like that? How can you move that way? Are you and the others in the Leauge really friends? Can Aquaman really talk to fish? Did Superman and Wonder Woman really had a thing going on? How many other heroes do you really know outside the Leauge? Have you been to space? Is it true that Superman is faster than the Flash? What's it all like? "

Bruce watched her list questions, amused. When she was done she looked at him with such big eyes, as if she was a child who asked her mother for extra candy. " In my travels, it was included in my training, yes-- uh kinda, apparently the water does the talking, yes for a while, it was a long time ago, I know plenty, yes, no Flash is faster, it's my job," he answered them.

" I have so many more questions just based on your reply," Skylar said. " This is so unreal, I can't believe this," she huffed, laying back on the couch and occasionally looking at Bruce. " Wait!" she exclaimed suddenly. " This explains everything!"

Bruce furrowed his brows, sometimes even he couldn't keep up with Skylar. " The night we met, all of it," she added. " Ahh, yes," Bruce muttered. " Do you want to know about that night, honestly?" he asked. She nodded.

" Well, we were suspicious of Mandragora for a while, that he was getting his hands dirty. But we couldn't do as the Leauge, I mean the guy is hardly like the other people we stop. He doesn't attack the city, he takes care of things like the mobster he is, so we had to come up with a plan to take him down in a different way," he started explaining.

" Hence the reason why Bruce Wayne suddenly decided to expand to Metropolis," Skylar said and Bruce nodded. " Exactly, that's why I was sure Hawkins would accept whatever I offered, he was going to jump to the deal, it was all just a show. I didn't want them being suspicious so I had to play it off as I was really interested, especially with the other companies,"

" But then I saw you. You looked so, I don't know how to say, out of place. I could tell you didn't want to be there and someone made you come. It's a classic move, offering up a woman in a business deal. That's why I asked you about your job during our dance. Truth is, I had no intention of speaking to you after my phone call. I wasn't in Metropolis to play off my character, I was there to do my job, cut a deal with Hawkins, and I had done it. But, during my phone call, I saw you and Hawkins. Him hurting you. I could tell it was not the first time as well,"

Skylar had started looking down as Bruce shared his observations. He could sense her embarrassment about it. He softly reached out to her cheek, making her look at him. God, she was so beautiful.

" It's nothing to be embarrassed about, you were forced Sky," he said. She eased into his hand. " I know, but just even thinking about it makes me feel so powerless, back then I felt like I could never get free from him, that I had no voice," she replied.

Unintentionally Bruce's first instinct was to pull her to him, covering her smaller body with his arms, wanting to make her feel safe and secure, like he promised he would. " You never ever have to feel like that again," he decided to say instead.

Skylar nodded and mouthed 'thank you'. He smiled, just being able to make her smile a bit was enough to make his day. He loved her smile, so much.

" Anyway, at that moment I realized I had to help you, and the only way was to make them believe I would sleep with you. You should've seen your face when I asked you to come up with me. It was as if you were a rabbit crossing the street and a car was a meter away from you. At that point, all I was concerned with was gathering information on Hawkins then letting you go, but, then, well, you called me a, what was the word that you taught me, ah yes, a fuckboy, you called me that and I was impressed,"

Skylar blushed at his words, hiding her face. " In my defense, you are the one with the playboy reputation," she tried to say but Bruce chuckled it off. " I'm not mad, like I said, I was impressed that you call me that, so many people fall at my feet because I'm Bruce Wayne but no, you were going to give me a piece of your mind, even though you fully knew I could potentially send you back downstairs and have face those men,"

" So, I decided to help you out. I was taking down Mandragora and his men one way or another and it is my job to protect people like you. And I did," he finished explaining. Skylar nodded. " Now it makes sense, really, I was still debating why you wanted to help me so much,"

They talked awhile, particularly Skylar asking Bruce questions and him answering them. " Okay, wait, now that I know about all of it, I still have one thing I can't make sense of, why did you invite me to the Elliot event?" she asked.

Bruce bit his lip, being caught. " Oh well, that was just because I wanted to see you again," he admitted. " Oh," Skylar mumbled. " I actually thought that one was pretty obvious," he continued which caused Skylar to hit him lightly on the chest. They chuckled afterward.

" I must admit, I was not expecting you to react this well, I thought you'd be way more freaked out," Bruce said honestly. In reality, if you told anyone else that Bruce Wayne was really Batman they would've laughed at your face.

" Yeah, I mean, I've come to terms with there being these other 'beings' other than human. Speedsters, aliens, meta-humans, it's been a part of our lives for so long now, I'm just excited to meet you, but since I know you as you, it's just exciting," Skylar tried to explain.

Bruce hoped her knowing this could help her understand why Bruce had his doubts on being with her. He wanted her, truly. In every way. But it wasn't easy. Lois and Clark was a big example. Yes, he was always there to save her but that didn't change Lois constantly being in danger because of her connection to Superman.

The people he dealt with, they were borderline crazy and even the thought of something happening to Skylar killed Bruce. Didn't even matter whether it was because of him or not, it was hard to think about even only in theory.

Skylar was a gift to Bruce. That's what he thought. Her pure existence made Bruce feel alive again, like he could find happiness. She was everything he was looking for. A couple of months ago he didn't even know her but now he didn't spend a day where she wasn't on his mind.

The day she kissed him, it was something Bruce had thought for a long time. But doing that, it meant that they would cross a line that they couldn't get behind, ever again. He had tried, to put distance between himself and her, to make himself not feel the things he did, but one look at her eyes and how hurt she looked, and all of his worries had vanished.

She had this effect on him, Bruce didn't know how to describe it, but one look was enough.

" Okay, I've got one more question to ask, but I hope this doesn't come off as weird," Skylar said. She looked timid, like she was about to ask something she shouldn't. " Go for it," Bruce replied. " I know that right now things between us are complicated and I agreed to give you time, so I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you'd want it too, I'd really like to meet your son,"

Bruce was shocked to his core, to say the least. " You would?" he asked. Skylar nodded. "Yeah, he's a big part of your life, and I care about you, so I'd like to meet him," she explained. He'd never thought he'd meet a woman who wasn't scared by him having a son, but then, Skylar wasn't like any other woman he had met.

" I'd really like that," he replied. " How about tomorrow? You come over for dinner?" he offered. Alfred was grilling Bruce about Skylar, how he should act on it and how he wants to meet with her properly.

" Okay, sounds good," Skylar replied and smiled. For that moment, Bruce let himself get lost in that minute. Just him and her, watching her smile, out of pure joy. If he could choose a moment to live inside forever, it would be one just like that.

As expected, both Dick and Alfred were very happy to learn that Skylar was coming over. Alfred even said that he would cook some of his special meals, the ones he only cooked at special events, like graduations and birthdays.

Bruce was picking up Skylar on his way home. He tried not to show it but he was excited for her to meet his family. Alfred had raised him and he was a father figure and Dick, no matter adopted, was his son, their opinions mattered.

Skylar seemed excited too. " Okay, how do I look? I didn't know what to wear, I kept changing them, is it alright?" she asked. Bruce chuckled. " Sky, you are just fine, don't overthink it," he said. " If anything, they are probably more excited to meet you,"

For the road, they talked, mostly about the daily life in Wayne Manor, and how Dick always tried to get out of schoolwork by doing something. It felt nice, to talk about every part of his life with someone, someone special.

The car stopped in front of the stairs. Bruce got out first and offered his hand for her. She took it and she got out. She was eyeing the house. " I know," he muttered but she shook her head. " It looks different when there's sun," she said, climbing the stairs.

Then Bruce remembered the time Skylar came here by herself that night looking for him. He sighed as he tried to get it out of his mind and joined her. Before they were even done Alfred had already opened the door.

" Master Wayne, welcome back. Miss Jones, lovely to see you again," Alfred greeted them. " Hello, Alfred, how are you?" she asked him. " Quite alright, I hope you like my cooking, Miss Jones," he replied.

Skylar smiled. " I'm sure I will, Bruce has told me all about it. Also, please call me Skylar, Miss Jones makes me feel weird," she said. This was Bruce's time to cut in. "Believe me, he won't, do you know how many times I asked him to just call me by my name?"

Alfred looked like he wanted to roll his eyes sp hard at that moment. " I best go check the food for the final time, meanwhile Master Grayson awaits in the living room," he said then turned around. Bruce placed his hand on Skylar's waist, guiding her through the way inside the manor.

When the pair walked into the house they found him doing homework on the table. Bruce softly coughed, alerting their presence, although he could tell Dick had heard them come in and just playing it cool.

He looked up. " Oh, hello," he said getting up. He walked to Skylar. " Hello, I'm Skylar," she introduced herself. "Hi, I'm Dick, nice to meet you," he said and smiled. " I've heard about you from Bruce, I've been waiting to meet you for a time now," he added.

Skylar's smile got even bigger at his words. " I'm honored, I've been wanting to meet you too," she replied. " What were you doing back there?" Bruce asked, pointing the table. " Oh, history homework, the Golden Ages of the countries in Europe during Middle Ages, you know, the usual,"

" Oh, I love that subject, it's simply fascinating," Skylar said. " Really? Can you help me with some stuff?" Dick asked. " Sure, I'd love to," she replied and both of them walked over to the table, looking over the papers.

Bruce leaned on the wall, concentrating on both of them. Even though they just met the two of them connected instantly, chatting about history. Dick was telling her a joke while she was explaining something.

" She seems great, sir," Alfred said, appearing behind Bruce. " Yeah, she is," he replied. " Then what are you waiting for?" he asked, giving him a glare. Bruce sighed, sadly looking away from Skylar and Dick.

" You know why, you don't need me to repeat it," he said. " She found at about the Bat, didn't she? And she's here bonding with the kid. Most of your fears are in your head Bruce, don't let them cloud your judgment. You've been alone a long time, doesn't hurt to let yourself be happy,"

Bruce didn't answer, everyone was saying the same thing to him. Clark learned what happened between him and Skylar through Lois, and he gave him the talk. Then Barry joined in, even though he didn't know the details Clark did, he practically gave him the same talk. How it doesn't hurt to let someone in and having Iris in his life made everything better. And now Alfred.

" Don't you think I want to?" Bruce asked, crossing his arms. " You've seen what happened the last time Joker got out, what will happen if he does it again? Or someone else breaks out? If she's in danger, you know that I'll choose her over everything, and I can't do that. The mission isn't that," he explained.

Alfred took a deep breath. " I am really tempted to slap some sense into you, sir," he sighed. " You are talking about an unknown future, where those events may or may not happen. But she's here, right now. Also, if your superhero friends can do it, you can too,"

Bruce didn't answer as his gaze shifted over to them again. Alfred patted his shoulder. " If you already know that you'll choose her, doesn't that already prove it?" he asked. Just as Alfred asked that, Skylar chuckled at something Dick said. One of her hand was on his shoulder and they were both laughing at something probably he said.

" Yeah, thought so," Alfred mumbled, loud enough for Bruce to hear, then walked in. " Miss Jones, Master Grayson, I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, but the meal is ready," he said. " Oh, okay," Skylar said.

The dinner was delightful. Bruce maybe expected it to go a bit awkward, but no, everyone was getting along just fine. He was genuinely surprised about it. It felt like a dream to Bruce, it was too good to be true.

Seeing the people he cared about that way made him feel like, maybe for the first time since he was little, he really could get happy, that it was possible for him too. It helped him see what Clark, Barry and pretty much everyone in his life was telling what was possible, that he could have both.

But, just as the case was, every dream would eventually have to come to an end, and this one did too. Bruce's phone vibrated, alerting him something was happening downtown. He took out his phone to see that it was Killer Croc, attacking.

" What is it?" Dick asked, standing up. Bruce sighed, looking at him then to Skylar. She half nodded, as if she was telling him it's okay. " Killer Croc," he simply answered. He then turned to her. " I'm sorry, we have to go," he mumbled meanwhile Dick got out of the room, probably to go down to change.

" It's okay, I'll help Alfred clean up then I can go home," Skylar said. " Miss Jones, that's not necessary," Alfred joined in on the conversation. She looked at him. "Nonsense, you've prepared the food, the least I can do is help clean it up, plus, I won't take no for an answer,"

Alfred smiled then turned to Bruce. " Alright then," he said, leaving the room. Bruce took a deep breath, walking to Skylar. " Sorry, I didn't want things taking a turn this way," he said. Skylar smiled. " It's okay, I get it, it's your job," she replied.

Hearing her being supportive, not getting mad or freaking out, it settled something inside of Bruce.

" After I'll help Alfred I'll just go home," Skylar said. Bruce furrowed his brows, looking at her. He didn't want that. At that moment he didn't even want to leave her. " Or, you could stay," he said. She looked up to him. " What?" she asked, surprised.

Bruce shrugged. " You could stay until I get back, if you want," he offered. "Really?" she asked, surprised. He nodded. "Okay," she mumbled.

It was around 3 AM when Bruce and Dick came back to the house. They were able to stop Killer Croc and then made sure he got locked up at Arkham. Then they went to patrol, as opposed to Dick's opposition because Bruce got a bit injured at the fight.

Croc was much stronger than the last time they saw him and he sure did some damage. He threw Bruce through a window, threw a trashcan at him and almost bit his head off if Robin didn't electrocute him at the last minute.

They got out of the Batmobile. " Alfred, we need the first aid kit!" Dick shouted while helping Bruce walk to the stretcher. " I'm fine," he grunted as he sat down. " You're not," Dick answered. " I need to update the files," Bruce said.

Dick crossed his arms, giving him a look. " I'll do it," he replied. Then Alfred and Skylar entered the room. " Oh my god, Alfred, I expected something else when you said we were going to the Batcave," she exclaimed.

" Batcave?" Bruce asked. Alfred shrugged as he got the kit and walked toward him. " It fits," Skylar said once she was done looking around and went down. " Done!" Dick yelled from the computer.

Skylar eyed Bruce, mainly his body. He had taken his mask and shirt off and Alfred was tending to his wounds. " Do you always come back like this?" she asked. Bruce sighed. " Not really," he replied whereas Alfred rolled his eyes and Skylar giggled.

" Miss Jones, would you mind taking over for me?" Alfred asked after he was done taking out some glass pieces from Bruce's shoulder. Bruce gave him a look, he never did this. He didn't even allow Bruce to take care of his own injuries normally, what was he doing?

Skylar furrowed her brows, " Uh, okay," she said, taking a step. Alfred nodded, walking to Dick and patting his shoulder. " I need to make sure Master Grayson goes to bed," he said. The two quickly left the room and Bruce turned to Skylar.

" I think Alfred was mostly done, all I have to do is clean it up and bandage it, right?" she asked him. Bruce was too busy watching her and he forgot to answer. " Bruce?" she asked again and Bruce snapped out of it. " Yeah," he mumbled.

She smirked at him as she poured some alcohol to clean the wound. " This might hurt a bit," she said before pressing it on his shoulder. Bruce didn't even flinch. "I'm used to it," he replied after Skylar gave him a surprised look.

" I guess this explains my question about the scars," she mumbled. " I thought your suit was supposed to protect you," she added. " It does," Bruce answered. " But it doesn't mean it protects me from everything, the threats change so I have to change my suit along with it, I'll be prepared next time,"

Skylar bit her lip as she finished cleaning the wound. She put the gauze down and took the bandage. " Next time? You sound so sure," she said, applying the bandage. Bruce nodded. " Yeah," he said, " There always is,"

The two didn't talk for a while, Skylar doing the same thing to a few more places. Then she noticed the little cut on his right cheek. " Oh, there's one more," she said, taking the gauze once more. " Wouldn't want it to leave a scar on this handsome face," she muttered.

Bruce couldn't help but smile as he watched her. She quickly cleaned the blood off of his face and seemed to focus on what she was doing. He then realized what Alfred was doing. He was giving them space.

" You're awake," Bruce said. Skylar shrugged faintly. " Yeah, I wanted to wait for you," she replied. " You didn't have to," he said. She smiled. " But I did," she said. Then she looked at Bruce's eyes. " Alfred told me a bit about who you went after, and I, I don't know, I guess I just wanted to see that you were alright,"

At that moment, something cleared inside Bruce. He always thought that he was a burden, his second life. That anyone who got too close to him would get hurt. He allowed Alfred and Dick in because Alfred was the only person who had been there for him his entire life and it was a way for Dick to live through his pain.

But Bruce never thought he could have someone else in his life, in all aspects. He had always been alone, the people he trusted and let in have always somehow let him down. However Skylar, she was different. She had accepted her. Fully. She had been there for him, supporting him.

Maybe everyone else was right, Bruce could have it all. He could have Skylar. She was there, right under his nose, and there was no way anyone could hurt her. And if someone tried, he'd stop them with all he had. Maybe he could finally allow himself to be happy.

" I'm all in," Bruce said. Skylar was done with what she was doing, she was putting down the gauze when he said it. She looked up, her burrows furrowed. " What?" she asked. " Sky, I'm all in, I want you," he said.

" But what about all those things you said?" she asked. Bruce shrugged. " I don't care, I'll take care of it," he said. Skylar's face immediately lightened up, a big smile covering her face. Bruce put his hand to her waist, pulling her toward him and crashing his lips to hers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 296 16
"Haven't I crossed way too many lines with you?" "Who said I drew any?" The most abysmal 17 year old of them all. 1 half of the daughter's of the dra...
217K 5.6K 31
Lindsey just moved in with her grandparents in Gotham City. They send her to Gotham Academy where she meets Damian Wayne. And like every girl in the...
56.1K 1.6K 49
Love. A word so simple yet so complex. For Bruce, it meant family. Family that he lost and the family he created. But love can be harsh, especially i...
1.8K 39 13
Everyone knows that Bruce Wayne and Talia Al Ghul made the love. Talia became pregnant and when her child was old enough, gave him to Bruce. Damian W...