Flipped

By ratatat444

{FEATURED ON WATTPAD UNDISCOVERED LIST} Sometimes, things can happen in your life that change everything. Mo... More

Book 1
1.1
1.2
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.7
1.8
1.9
1.10
1.11
1.12
1.13
1.14
1.15
1.16
1.17
1.18
1.19
1.20
1.21
1.22
1.23
1.24
1.25
1.26

1.3

120 11 23
By ratatat444

We walked home very quietly for a few blocks, before Ava, Taylor, and then Mike quietly broke off for their own homes. All of us, lost in our own thoughts. After a few minutes the clouds broke above and the moon cast an eery glow over the elm trees in front and beside us.  It was still silent.  No more wind.  A lone car or two passed by.

    It was almost two when I crept back into the house and into bed. But I couldn't sleep. It was like all the dread I should have been feeling in the initial encounter was just delayed and it all came back to me now. It was the knowing that something big had happened but not being able to put my finger on it that was killing me. I'd felt that feeling before. Also in my room. At home, where you're supposed to feel safest. My dad yelling, slapping, slamming the door...

Around half past seven I staggered down the stairs and plopped into a chair around the kitchen table.  It was Saturday morning, and normally I would sleep until at least  one, but I knew there would be no more sleeping for me today.  No one else was awake yet.  I made myself some toast, stole some left-over cherry pie from the fridge, and sat on the couch.

    A few minutes later, I texted Mike.  We made plans to meet at McDonalds.  When I arrived, Ava and Taylor were already there.  All three of them sitting in the corner. With lattes. They weren't even talking to each other, just sipping their coffees. Ava was on her phone. I gave them a quick hi and slid into the booth. One look their eyes told me this was real.

"So you got the texts too?", I said, nodding at Taylor.

"From the creepy old man with the bad hair last night?" she intoned. "For about three weeks.  It was ridiculous. It's actually the third location I went to."

    That made me do a double-take.  "Wait, what?  Was anyone there the other times?"

    Taylor shook her head.  "Nope. I don't know why I even bothered to show up, really."

"Maybe he was waiting for all of us.  Also, did any of you notice how uncomfortable he was when Taylor asked any questions?  The man flinched, almost as if he was in pain."  Ava said.

The memory flashed on me. Ava was right, for sure. "Okay, right? Why couldn't he tell us any more?  Or even explain why he couldn't say more?"

    We sat silent for a moment. Mike turned to me. "Do you have any more texts?"

    I took out my phone and rifled through it, stopping suddenly. "Check your phone." I tried to keep my breathing level.

    Ava took her phone out of her pocket and started looking through her texts.  "Umm...they're not here."

Taylor looked up from her phone and also shook her head.

    Mike leaned back on his chair and rolled his eyes up at the ceiling and just laughed.  "Well then.  I guess it was just a dream. Things just get better and better, don't they?"

    "Well, honestly, I think we have to just treat it like a dream for now," Taylor said.

"What? Why?" Ava asked.

"That man gave us no real information.  What other option is there?  Research ghosts and spirits at the library?"

    Mike said, "yeah, let's become the ghost club.  So cool."

    A bad joke.  No one laughed.

"I think Taylor's right, we just have to move on for now."

    I walked home alone, passing whips of brown leaves, the occasional coffee cup or crumpled candy wrapper.  Two boys in bright t-shirts were walking towards me from across the street. 

    What happened last night?  Even as I entertained the question momentarily, I could feel my heart starting to race.  I hadn't really relaxed at all since yesterday afternoon and that text that was no longer there. 

    How in the world were these messages just gone?

And what about the people I was now stuck in this situation with? What did I really know about either Ana or Taylor?  I'd just asked Taylor out. I liked her. Other than that, nothing.  I almost laughed out loud.  Clearly the date was off now.  Ava, I knew a little better.  Sort of friends-of-friends situation. Still, basically nothing.

    I refocused on the street in front of me.  The boys were gone. I had never noticed them leave.  I guess I had been looking basically right at them.  I frowned.  I didn't usually get absent-minded like that, even when my mind was going.

    I was still puzzling as I walked through into the kitchen.  Supper was a classic Chinese takeout. We take turns making supper, today was my mom's, and she had no time since she had to work on a Saturday.  That was strange for her, actually.

    "Where did you go this afternoon?" My mom asked.

    "I-", I stopped.  "I was just out with a few friends," I said.  I certainly couldn't tell her the truth about last night and everything.  I was still anxious, and on top of that, I felt a pang of guilt keeping this from her.  My mom and I are usually very close.  I gulped air quickly and flashed a smile. 

    She knew I was lying to her. I pressed on.  "Or it was a girl.  Not telling you which." 

    "Ooooh!" Jordan teased. I gave her a silly grin.

    "Are you sad your big brother is all grown up now?"

    She cackled with laughter.  "Yeah, we'll see about that!"  That led to a whole round of teasing back and forth.  Even if I couldn't tell my family all the things on my mind right now, I could still joke around. Things seemed almost normal. I needed that.

    Afterwards, I went upstairs and sprawled on my bed.  It was messy, but I'd have to deal with that later. I was exhausted.  I lay there, staring at the stucco ceiling, no longer able to care about anything. 

    I was about to drift off, when I felt my phone buzzing beside me.  My eyes snapped open. Was it the man again? I rolled over to check. No. It was Mike.

    "Hey," I said into the phone. 

    "Chris, Can I come over?" He sounded scared, and jumpy.

    "Now?"  I glanced at the clock. It was 8:30 pm.  "I know it's early, but I'm really tired.  Aren't you?"

    "Not anymore.  Just let me come over.  Seriously. I'll explain when I get there." I could hear the relief in his voice.

    Thirty-five minutes later Mike arrived.  He didn't even say hi as he came in.  I followed him as he trooped up the stairs and straight into my dishevelled room. 

    "Sorry," I said as he locked the door behind me.  He didn't even notice, just spun around and started pacing. 

    "Okay. This is ridiculous.  I can't even..." He noticed the floor, the chair, and the desk.  "What happened in here?  It looks like a tornado ran through.  Anyways.." He paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts. I let it pass.

    "Okay, so I was sitting on the couch at home, playing some video games and trying to forget whatever it was that gave us those delusions yesterday. Then I get a text.  From Clarissa.  Like, just a chill text about the test on Tuesday.  Like, I know anything about Mr. Pashki's marking style. But that's besides the point - anyways, I get this text, and suddenly, I see this..vision, or... almost a movie." Chris was rocking back and forth, almost excited. Maybe also scared shitless.

"I see Clarissa fighting with her boyfriend - what's his name.  They have a huge fight outside on a street corner. She's yelling and pointing at him and then he's screaming back at him and then it's like the whole scene snaps to later and I see her thinking about how she wants to flirt with me to make him feel bad.  How she's going to ask me if I'm free on Friday night just hang out even though we haven't hung out years.  If it works out, she may even consider breaking up with him - he's been so boring lately." 

He stopped abruptly and stood there, looking at me, waiting for a response.

    I burst out laughing.  "You.." I could hardly get the words out, "You.." I tried again.  "You.. are so full of it."

    He frowned.  "Okay, stop it. You know I'd never just hang out with her alone, even if she wanted to."

    "Oh? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?  Oh, the girls are so hot on me.  They'll break up with their boyfriends and.." I was imitating him but seeing the look on his face I stopped.  "You're actually serious?"

    Mike nodded. 

    I sat on my bed.

    "You've never.. like this isn't a normal thing - like a daydream or a... I don't know..."

    Mike was shaking his head no.

    I could feel my heart starting to race again. No.

    "Okay, well," my was racing, trying to justify this 'vision', "maybe this is part of what that man was talking about?  What did he say - something about our perceptions changing?"

    Mike nodded.  "Yeah.  Something like that.  How about you?  Anything weird?"

    I considered.  "I don't think so."

    "Are you sure? Nothing at all?" he asked. I could see a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

"Look, I know that it would be helpful if I had these things too, but.." I thought hard then shook my head again, "No. Nothing."

    Mike thought for a moment.  "Okay.  Well maybe we're starting to figure out what's going on.  Maybe we have extra knowledge now?  Or something?"

    "Or maybe you're just full of it, Mike."

    He finally smiled.  "Yeah.  Or that."

----

Hi Everyone! I'm a few days late posting today, but I'll make up for it by adding a bonus chapter this week. Going forward you can still expect a Monday and Wednesday release schedule! As always please feel free to give me any feedback you want.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 171 30
Sometimes, all we need to show our love is to fight... Jethro Wills realized this when the obscene pictures of Ava Rays went viral. Having always adm...
463 34 24
A blank doll with acting and action running in her veins, Freia woke up in a hospital with no memory of what brought her there. Sure, the doctors sai...
2.2K 212 44
Seventeen year old Skylar Midnight always thought she'd been an ordinary girl; she knows exactly what to expect when it comes to a person with causal...
3.3K 620 35
#COMPLETED [HORROR-THRILLER] #34 in psychic-abilities #52 in psycho-thriller #60 in sociopath This is her adventure, she is narrating. Ava, a bea...