Chasing the Past--A Carmen Sa...

By neon0ir

Carmen Sandiego, the elusive super criminal known for her bright red coat and conniving thieving skills, is p... More

Author Note
1---The Colonial Singapore Caper
2---The Glass Water Club
3---The Fourth Floor
4---New Friends, Old Enemies
5---Demons Await
AUTHOR NOTE

6---The Dragon Dance Caper

641 21 70
By neon0ir

The Dragon dance Caper pt.1

Feb 12

18:09, C.S.T.

Beijing, China

Her room in the Shangri-La Hotel was on the first floor, leaving her stranded nearby the packs people that she desperately wanted to run away from. Every hotel in the city seemed to be booked solid with visitors and family arriving for the holidays. The highest floors had been swiped away first, as they were optimal seats for the fireworks show.

And so, she was stuck with the bottom.

The proximity of the ground outside of Carmen's window only served to remind her that she had responsibilities. Things that needed taking care of, because, if she didn't, who would?

Carmen had a phobia of being caught within large crowds. The problem had only developed recently, ever since her mental health deteriorated, turning her into the sloppy, emotional mess she was today. 

Ever since she had discovered the truth about her family, she didn't---she couldn't trust anyone anymore.

 Armed guards, high tech-security systems, and being one of the most wanted people in the world. None of it scared her. In fact, it exhilarated her. 

What Carmen Sandiego feared the most was people. People were most terrifying obstacle she ever had to face. They were unpredictable. Greedy. They lied. They stole. And worst of all? They were fueled by emotions. 

They couldn't be trusted. They'd stab you in the back. If not immediately, then eventually. You had to stay vigilant.

You have to see it coming.

In Singapore, she had been more than twenty stories high, suspended in the sky like a god with the entire city's population reduced to ants. Tiny, insignificant specks of dust mulled the streets, and she was too detached, too far away from them to pay any attention.

Now, the ants were no longer ants. No longer minuscule pests she could escape among the stars. 

Carmen watched as the people of Beijing arranged the finishing touches for the beginning of the New Years celebration. The streets were dripping with red and gold, bloated sphere lanterns painted with scripted characters lining each and every street. Civilians trickled in, any visible public area compact with writhing bodies, all with bright, easy smiles. The high-pitched screams of children rang clearer and louder, full of festivity. Adults greeted strangers like close friends  when they normally wouldn't have spared a glance in their direction. 

The sun slinked out of view, disappearing behind a throng of brilliantly lit skyscrapers. The sky turned a blue-violet, and sparklers began to emerge among the crowds. The lanterns began to burn to life, blazing fiery red with the characters on them glowing gold.

She felt out of place amid the euphoria of the festivities. Joy radiated from every face she could make out in waves, crashing towards her and souring her mood. A small pang of annoyance swelled to resentment. How could everyone be so. . .so. . .happy? So carefree? 

It was probably just a facade, a mask created to blend in with the others around them.

What secrets lay behind those seemingly innocent beams?

Or could it be that they were. . . genuine? 

A little boy clutching a sparkler broke from the pack, running by whilst trilling with laughter. He noticed Carmen staring and threw her a toothy grin.

 A woman ran after the boy, her fitted Qipao dress restricting her movements. The silky white fabric hugged the woman's curvy figure, red cherry blossom branches wrapping around her body. The boy noticed her following and turned to run, only to have the woman catch him by the collar of his finely-pressed maroon shirt. Inaudible noises escaped her mouth as she raised a finger and scolded the boy.

The child's posture drooped and he stared at the ground. The woman's expression softened, and she stooped with some difficulty to his level. She handed him a round sweet, cupping his cheek gently. They walked away, hand-in-hand, while sharing the treat.

Carmen's hand found it's way to the glass, hovering over where the figures of the mother and son were before she lost them in the crowds.

She realized she never had that. All throughout her childhood, Carmen had gotten away with any scheme or prank she'd pulled. No one had ever condescended her behavior like a mother would've. It was stupid, really, to be angry for not getting disciplined as a kid.

But wouldn't that have been what a mother would've done?

The coach was no mother to her, but at one point in time, she had thought of her that way. 

Brunt never thought of her as a daughter. She realized all throughout her childhood, she had been treated like a pet. Like a stray dog that one would grow fond of over time rather than a fellow person, much less a family. 

A lump formed within her throat. She knew they hadn't really cared about her. Why was it bothering her now, of all times?

She stumbled, teetering backwards and collapsing onto her bed. She found a crumpled red envelope beneath her. A party on the Hotel's roof had been organized, with front row seats to the fireworks show. It was no charge, courtesy of the owner.

Apparently everyone was feeling a little more pleasant today.

She crumpled the letter in her palm, hurtling at the window with every ounce of force she could muster. 

She'd locked her feelings deep inside long ago, refusing to let them out and confining them inside the narrow walls of her mind.

Carmen was angry. 

She was angry at the hotel manager for deciding to host an all expense paid party, contributing to the incessant festivities. She was angry at the mother and son for having each other and walking away from her. She was angry at the people in the square for smiling and laughing away in an ignorant bliss. She was angry at this holiday that brought so many together, torturing her as she lurked alone in the shadows. She was angry at time for slipping through her fingers. She was angry at the world. Angry at everything, angry for no reason at all.

But most of all, she was angry at VILE. 

The mere thought of her former family spurred spikes of burning hatred inside her in the manner of lightning strikes erupting from a sullen sky. Dark storm clouds of resentment and vengeance brewed, her fear thundering as a forewarning to her fury. 

Carmen absolutely detested them. Plundering museums and robbing the rich was expected. Looting gold and bagging newly discovered treasure, she'd have anticipated. But to kill an innocent? For one's greed to be so insatiable that they'd willingly steal another's life? That was absolutely unforgivable. 

The sound of drums disrupted the dark path her mind was currently wandering down. 

The hordes in the streets parted into two sections as dancers began to make their way down the center. Confetti seemingly rained from the skies as people erupted into ear-splitting cheers. The costume-clad women and men swaggering down the streets were one, their every movements synchronized as they led the New Year's Parade. Following the hundreds of dancers were colorful kites that swayed with the gentle breeze. In less than an hour, the first dragon puppet would arrive.

Yun Su Yi's Commonwealth ball began later in the evening, presumably so the guests could still enjoy the public celebrations with their families. For once, Carmen wasn't going undercover as one of them. She fidgeted with her Qipao-inspired staff outfit, a magnetic name tag adorning the left side of her chest.

"Red!" Carmen jumped at the sound of a teen's voice, stumbling down onto the bed. "We need to--You okay?"

"Oh. It's just you, player." She sighed, massaging her temples.

"Well of course it's me. Who else would it be?"

Carmen closed her eyes, fumbling with her words as she tried to swallow her temperamental attitude. "No one. I mean. . .I don't know. No one."

"Um. Okay." Player said. Something was forming between them. A wedge. 

" Do you need something?" She snapped uncharacteristically, more venom entering voice than intended.

"The caper. The one we're supposed to be pulling tonight?" His words had a defensive edge to them, lacking their usual easy-going tone.

"Bu that's not till. . ." She stole a glance at the clock on the nightstand. 8:11 PM. "Oh. Sorry, I wasn't checking the time."

His reply was accusatory, condescending. "Maybe you should pay attention to those sorts of things when lives are on the line." 

You're just a kid perched on the tip of tongue. So get you're head out of the clouds and quit acting like a high and mighty bitch who can tell me what to do.

 Carmen swallowed deeply, trying to calm her boiling nerves, because, he was right, even if she refused to admit it. She needed to bury her anxiety in order to remain professional for the mission. Someone's life line rested between her fingers. VILE was about to cut it, and she was the only one who had a chance of yanking it out of their grasp.

They were counting on her. Even if they didn't know it yet.

"You're right. . . .Sorry." She conceded in the briefest way possible. For whatever reason, she felt disconnected from him, not wanting to talk for an extended period of time. "We should focus on the mission. Can you add the crew to call?"

"Okay." Carmen was glad his voice returned to normal, though he didn't acknowledge her sorry excuse of an apology. 

Three beeps binged in Carmen's ear simultaneously for every other member of her team. Shadowsan spoke first. "Carmen, player. Has Zachary returned from scouting?"

"We didn't send him, Shadowsan." Carmen replied.

"Dohn wurry. . .Crnch. . . Reh dwone's . . .Crnch. . . . got it coverrred, nijaa dude." Zach's voice was muffled, the sound of slobbery crunches breaking in between his words.

"Right. Crew, meet up in my hotel room for mission briefing. Player can you call through my laptop?"

"Sure thing, red," Her said before terminating the call. 

Her laptop pinged with a notification for video chat. As if on cue, the others filed in one after the other. 

Zack's hair was slicked back with gel, though a defiant curl sprung onto his forehead. His sharp monkey suit was pressed to perfection, fitting his shoulders and torso like a glove. He would have passed for an aristocrat had he not been munching messily on chips.

Ivy trailed in directly after him in a long grey-blue evening gown belted at the center with a blue sash. It was the same one she'd worn in Dubai before bagging the super car.

A family-size bag of barbecue chips was being smushed under his arm as he strolled over. Ivy reached over his shoulder, stealing a handful, which resulted in protesting from her brother. Shadowsan, dressed in an all-black suit, simply rolled his eyes, stepping away as the siblings began to bicker over the remainder of the food in the bag.

Player's face spread across her screen. She turned the camera to the Bostonians, who were throwing mock punches, chuckling. "Quite the show, if you ask me."

"How do you deal with these two all day?" Player stared at the two in amusement.

"Meditation." Shadowsan pulled a swivel chair next to the bed. "Lots and lots of meditation."

"If you two are finished, I'd like to begin going over the caper." Carmen raised an eyebrow, motioning with her hand to her laptop.

"Oh, right." Zack said sheepishly, moving to take a seat next to her. She noted that Ivy had seemingly won the altercation and was now happily munching on the junk food.

"Ah-uh." She stopped him before he could touch the sheets with his orange-crumb stained fingers. "Go wash your hands Zachary."

"Aw Carm, it's just chips. It ain't even our room."

"Zack. Now." Carmen gave him the death stare, which was only reserved for special occasions, and watched him squirm under the heat of her gaze. She did not once blink or let her eyes wander until he finally relented and sulked towards the bathroom.

"Great. Now that that's been settled, the caper. Player, what have you got?"

"Alright, so, as you all know, the next Caper has to do with Chinese New Year. The mission's aim is to prevent an assassination attempt. I looked into Red's hunch on the target being the president, and the facts check out. A lot VILE's recent activity has been in China. It wasn't made known to the public, but the president ordered a discreet investigation into the thefts and seemed to have made some headway, judging by how encrypted the file for it was. Even I couldn't crack their server."

"So that's why we sent Shadowsan to Beijing." Ivy mused.

"Right. We'll get into what he uncovered in a minute. We don't exactly know how the assassination might carry out, but Carm suspected that VILE might've enrolled operatives in the dance company that's performing the dragon dance at the party. That would've been easier than making it onto the President's guest list, which yours truly did, by the way."

"Okay, crew." Carmen began pacing the length of the hotel room, scrutinizing the geo-patterned rug beneath her. "We have to be extremely vigilant and prepared. VILE could've infiltrated security, the staff, the guest list, along with the performers. We may be dealing with more than just the goat and the mole. Zack, Ivy, you both will arrive as guests. Shadowsan, the security detail. I'll join the servers and waiters. The only group we won't have eyes on is the dancers, but Ivy, you'll have to sneak back around to them with Player's assist. Got it?"

She looked in Zack and Ivy's direction, knowing she wouldn't have to worry about whether or not Shadowsan was ready. The sibs glanced at the other, raising an eyebrow as if to ask you in? before answering her. "Right, Carm."

She nodded at them before continuing. "Shadowsan did recon in various hotspots of criminal activity that VILE seemed to frequent." She gestured to the ninja to begin.

"While you all were in Singapore, I scouted some of VILE's warehouses in Beijing that I'd known of, along with the ones player found on the drive. All were empty. Except, for one."

"Ooh." Zack leaned forward.

Ivy rolled her eyes at him. "Bro, this isn't some story. It's real."

"As I was saying, from what I gathered, VILE appeared to be working with a local gang. A drug Cartel or a triad, would be my guess. They were carting and preparing drugs. Opioids, by the looks of the process."

"Aren't. . . those. . . .illegal?" Player asked.

"Some are allowed for medical purposes, if a prescription is given. The illegal ones contain smaller dosages of other illegal drugs. I could not ascertain which one they were making."

"I'd bet my money on the illegal ones." She seethed. "It'd be easy to slip it into the president's meal, wouldn't it?"

"Well, people know about opioids, right?" Zack asked.

"Yeah? So?" Player added in.

"Well if people knew about them, wouldn't the autopsy, like, tell 'em that she was poisoned?"

Carmen considered what he said. Opioids could've taken out anyone VILE wished quietly. The silence wouldn't last long after the festivities, however, and unless they planned on leaving with the body, the police would uncover the truth. Another option would be to give her an overdose and then slip the blame onto another party. Both were unlikely. Those options still possessed the possibility of leading law enforcement to VILE.

"He's right." Player said. "They wouldn't use opioids. That would give the police a lead."

"In the warehouse, Le Chevre and El Topo led the mission. They continuously mentioned the new and improved 'Smiley.' That could be the street name for this new opioid" Shadowsan offered.

"Maybe it isn't Opioids. or maybe it's a new, untraceable kind. VILE has Saira Bellum. Of course they'd be able to manufacture something entirely new."  Carmen had still not stopped pacing. An idea was forming in the murky waters of her mind. Afraid of losing it, she began to walk faster, as it was running away and she had to catch it.

"That could be. Player, is there anything else on the mission you have?" Shadowsan said, turning her laptop to face him and the siblings.

"I cross reference it with our intel sources, and from what I can pick out. . . I think they're planning on poisoning her. It makes sense if you think about it. The president's schedule is practically public knowledge. She has loads of security with her at all times. Even personal taste testers. The cleanest way to kill is through poisoning. The only time VILE would have access to anything she will is when her security is at a distance. Meaning, poisoning her at the party would be a good bet."

"This drug looks like it must be ingested, so coating her silverware or wine glass would not be the means of feeding her the poison."

"That only leaves the food," Carmen said. "And since it was pre-made and most likely tasted and checked for unknown substances, they would have to slip it in while at the party."

"Right. Carmen, the plan?" Player pulled up schematics of the space where the party would be hosted.

She finally stood still, folding her arms and analyzing the plans "The tables are all arranged on either side, leaving a wide space in the middle for the dancers. The makeshift backstage area will be here," The cursor on the laptop hovered over a room down the hallway. "And the kitchen, here. "

"Shadowsan, position yourself nearby the kitchen so you can watch who goes in and out. You'll have to go without a comm, as the signal from ours might override the one equipped for their security firm. Zack and Ivy, you'll pose as Micarah and Mason Madden, two prominent American sibling-millionaire socialites. You're goal is to mingle around the party and keep an eye on President Yun. Make note of everyone who comes near her. Even the servers."

"'Aw man! You mean we have to take notes! As in, homework?" Zack threw his hands up in exasperation.

"No you dodo bird!" Ivy said, smacking his head. "She meant mentally. As in, with you're brain?" She paused again, knocking on the side of his head. "Although that may pose a problem, due to your lack of one."

"Hey!"

"What she said, " Carmen said with a small smile. "Anyway, Zack you'll have to do that mostly on your own. Ivy, I need you to get a closer look at those dancers, via red drone. See if you can spot any familiar faces. I'll intercept any possible VILE confrontation by posing as a staff member."

"Alright. Any objections?" When no one spoke up, Carmen continued. "Great. Let's go, crew. We've got a mission to sabotage."

(A/N: Sorry it took so long to upload! I had writer's block for a week, but then my first chapter draft got deleted! And I lost a part of the second along with getting publishing issues. I just started this yesterday, so sorry for any mistakes. My updates will be every few days again! If you know what might be wrong or how to fix it, please comment something!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.1K 1.2K 44
Life isn't always fair, especially when you're the super thief Carmen San Diego. But this story isn't about her. Well, not really anyway. In Sydney...
964 24 7
My favorite episode's from Carmen Sandiego in written form, describing most of it in Carmen's POV. Player's hidden veiw in certain episodes will be r...
2.6K 84 20
Set 2 months after La Femme Rouge. Paper Star, Tigress, El Topo, And Le Chévre have in imprisoned in one of ACME'S most secure underground prisons. S...
34.2K 950 44
Carmen Sandiego isn't afraid of sacrificing herself for her family and for the world that she loves so dearly. So when VILE is planning something tha...