The CEO and Fate✔️

By nataliasmithss

"It's been so long," I whispered. His jaw tightened. "Not long enough," he snapped back. My heart shattered... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Author's Note
Chapter 28 (The End)

Chapter 26

5.6K 198 17
By nataliasmithss

"No, it can't be."

I smiled. "Don't act like that. You've known it's coming."

Gretchen threw her hands up in the air. "Knowing the time of your death doesn't make it any easier leading up to it, does it?" She argued. "It just results in you spending all of your time trying to prevent it instead of enjoying it."

"Well it's a good thing I'm not dying then."

"It's even worse! This is your last day," she mourned.

I dropped my things on my desk to go envelop my friend in a tight hug. She needed the comfort more than I. As she told me on a regular basis, I had been by far her favorite co-worker ever, the only one who had never made a move on Zane and who never begged for help past week 1.

She was absolutely devastated by my leaving. Not only did that mean that her favorite person was gone, but it meant she was going to have to start the cycle of bimbos all over again.

At least one of us needed to be strong today.

"Gah, get away from me before I start crying all over your pretty blouse," Gretchen sniffled.

"You told me at the beginning of the summer you hated this shirt," I laughed and backed away.

She dismissed me. "I was just testing you. To see if you were going to trade actual professional clothes for business slut. But you clearly passed because you're still wearing it."

I snorted. "Okay? Thanks for that."

"Ugh," she cried. "This has been the best summer ever. I've never been more grateful for a coworker in all my life and now she's leaving. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve this."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Nothing?"

Her cheeks flared. "You know what? Maybe it is a good thing you're leaving. Having you around the office is like having your diary on the desk with a read me sign taped to it."

"Aw, Gretchen," I giggled. "Jokes aside, I really am so thankful for you.  You taught me how to survive the corporate world as a woman, and you taught me the value in work relationships. I don't know if anyone will top you as my favorite."

"Are you trying to make my mascara run?" She demanded.

I embraced her for the fifth time that afternoon. "No. But it's cute."

She swatted at me. "You're testing me again," she said. "Let's just go get lunch. We need a break before the moving truck gets here, aka that damn airplane."

I was struggling to keep from laughing as we walked to the elevator. I guess Gretchen's personality had that kind of effect.

She rambled in the elevator about Ember and how she wasn't sure who she was going to make fun of her with when I left. I commented occasionally, but mostly I was thinking to myself, soaking up everything for the last time. Knowing it'll never be like this again. And oh what a short but blissful time it had been. 

I meant every world I told her. She really had taught me a lot about work. Now did I think it would be as fun at a recording studio in LA? No. It sounded more stressful than working for Zane, and Zane was a grizzly bear. But at least it was familiar.

Now I had to start all over.

The elevator door opened to the cafeteria, but to my shock it was completely deserted except for Gretchen's friend group. And they all looked extremely excited to see me. I guess that even though they had known me for such a short time, I was an outsider that brought some fun to the dull routines. I introduced them to Jake, we went to the gala, and we were always sneaking gossip on the especially dragging days.

I smiled fondly as they all rushed over to embrace me. It was the closest to a friend group I'd ever had. I hardly counted my high school one compared to them.

"You guys reserved the cafeteria for me?" I exclaimed.

Henry snorted. "No, babe. We did it for some other CEO-magnet chick. Yes we did it for you!"

Gretchen was beaming. She took my hand and walked me over to the table.

My hands flew to my mouth. "A cake?"

"We love cake. And once again you have given us a reason to buy one," Henry said cheekily.

"It looks too pretty to cut," I laughed.

"Who cares?" Gretchen moaned. "It's your going away present, and we're eating it."

"Because you're starving?" I guessed.

She nodded. "Yes. Now please cut it so we can have some."

Josh did the honors. He cut everyone a piece of the cake, and we all sat at a round table together, happy.

I had to be honest, I was a little surprised to see him there after everything that had gone down between him and Gretchen, but I guess everything was good now. Or as good as it was going to get. And I wasn't about to kick him out.

Henry smiled at me. "Alexa? I don't really like a lot of people. Especially the female ones. But you gave me the opportunity to meet one of the sexiest CEO's in New York City, so I'm forever in your debt."

I was confused. "Blake?"

"You know Blake Baron, too?" He scoffed. "Screw you and your beautiful long legs. I was talking about Jake Hill."

I giggled. "Ohh," I said. "You're welcome. But, Henry, he has a girlfriend. And he told me if he was ever gay that Blake would be his first choice."

Henry shrugged. "Makes sense. But a guy can dream."

Me too.

"I second that," said Haley. "You made things exciting Alexa. I'll miss you, even if I didn't know you for very long."

"Aww," I said. "I'll miss you too, Haley."

I stared warmly at the girl. Out of the whole group, I was probably the least close with her, especially considering she was the one who told me Jake and I would make such cute babies. But I know she was grateful for me. She would always fawn over Jake like he was her knight in shining armor.

I guess I had thanks for her, too, because without her I would have never really been integrated into this group.

Josh nervously cleared his throat. "I guess I'm the last to say something," he said.

"You don't have to."

He could barely lift his eyes off the table, refusing to meet Gretchen's and barely looking me in mine. But he was determined. "No. Thank you, Alexa, for believing in me," he stammered. "You gave me time for me to sort things out for myself while also being there for support, so I wish you lucky with your own relationship."

"Blake baron," Henry said in disbelief. "Is Jake on the sidelines?"

I snorted. "You guys make me out like I'm exciting," but I looked at Josh. "Thanks, Josh. You too."

Henry tapped his fork on the table, bringing all of our attention together. "To Alexa," he cheered. "We wish you a happy life."

I blushed as they all chorused their goodbyes.

I got up with Gretchen, thanked them immeasurably, and stared at them one last time before getting back on the elevator with her. Just to make sure I would remember what it meant to have a group.

"Thank you," I whispered to Gretchen. "For sharing your friends with me."

She chuckled. "You act like its some kind of rare thing."

"Well," I shrugged. "I never had this many friends in high school or in college. Not like this. It wouldn't have been the best summer ever if any one of you were missing from it, so I'm thankful."

Gretchen squeezed my hand. "All we ask is that you don't take our friendship lightly. Use it to always remember how much of an impact you can have and how much you mean to the people around you."

"Okay," I breathed.

We stepped out of the elevator. I saw Ember's door snap shut. We both giggled at the movement. Then, finally, Gretchen managed to tear herself away from me so I could use the rest of the afternoon packing.

I think it was a couple hours later before I had finally awoken from my trance and realized that it was almost time to go. I had been so focused on every small detail that needed my attention that I hadn't noticed the sun setting. But, I was done. All of the work-related loose ends had been tied, and everything was packed up neatly in my mini suitcase and ready to be carried along with the rest of my stuff.

But that was the easy part, even if tedious.

Now for the hard part. I walked over to Zane's office, knocked gently, and then let myself in.

He looked up briefly from his work before looking back down. "Intern Baker?"

"Yessir?"

He grunted. "Is everything filed neatly?"

"And every stapler locked into the cabinet."

"Desk cleared off?"

"Sanitized and polished," I smiled.

For the first time, probably for the whole internship, Zane looked up and stared at me. Not just as a passing glance or in absolute concern for my sanity because I had done something insanely stupid, but he gave me his full attention as a sign of respect.

He was just as attractive as when we started the internship. But I think we had slowly become platonic. And only now while we were staring did I remember just how unbelievably sexy he was.

"Well, Intern Baker," he said, "I can't really say much else. Despite your occasional slip ups, you have done an exceptional job."

"Thank you," I beamed. "And, just to clarify, did you mean today or like the internship as a whole—"

He rolled his eyes. "Everything."

"And that's something you don't say to everyone?" I asked cheekily.

"Oh, don't expect a pat on the head," he scoffed. "You're the best PA I've had. Is that enough?"

"More than enough," I laughed. "It means everything to hear that. You've had consistently high standards for everything, and I've had to push myself to try and achieve them. And I'm grateful for that work ethic."

He searched my face for a moment, and then nodded. "Good. That's the point of an internship."

"What is?"

"To learn values and model yourself after someone who's been successful while also deciding what kind of worker you want to be."

"Ah." I said. I rocked on my toes for a moment longer, but I wasn't quite ready to end on that note. Shyly, I asked, "Can I ask you a question?"

He seemed almost taken back. "Sure."

I leaned against the doorway, trying to appear casual though the nervousness was killing me. "Have you, uh, learned anything from me? Or even, do you have any feedback before I go off on my own?"

Zane pondered my question considerably. Apparently no one, or at least no one in my position, had ever asked him that before.

"You know," he said, "sometimes I forget that life exists outside of work. That you have aspirations outside of this company."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "How did I teach you that?"

"Gretchen and you," he said dumbly. "I'll hear you talk about things sometimes."

"So you eavesdrop?"

"What? No! I just hear little things hear and there because you're so damn loud," he huffed. "The point is, it reminds me of what a social life looks like."

I crossed my arms across my chest. "I'd be very curious to hear what your impression of a social life is. Because for all that you are—young, attractive, ambitious—you've done what nobody who's come before you has: shunned the bachelor life."

"That's such a broad term," he argued. "I drink occasionally at work functions. And I, uh, catch the eyes of ladies. It counts."

I shook my head, amused by his discomfort of the topic. "You're not eighty," I chuckled. "A bachelor life for someone like you is—"

"Like Jake Hill's?" He guessed.

My eyes widened. "Well, yeah. Have you heard all about that?"

He shook his head. "Like I told you before, I've only listened to bits and pieces. But I know Jake and Blake personally, and I can say confidently that I don't want the paths they've been on."

"And I'm not suggesting you to resort to that," I said quickly, understanding his position, "because you seem like you'd rather handle one thing at a time. And when you find something, or someone, you want to invest all of your time in it because you know the reward will be truly worth it."

He quirked an eyebrow. "What are you suggesting, Baker?"

I shrugged innocently. "I'm not suggesting anything. I'm like you. I've noticed things," I said. "Like the fact that you are genuinely interested in anything Gretchen likes to talk to you about."

His mouth popped open, the first unprofessional reaction I had ever gotten out of him. "What?" He asked, horrified. "Surely, not."

I tilted my head. "It's not a capital offense to enjoy someone's company and care about whatever it is they care about."

He adamantly shook his head. "No. You're mistaken," he said firmly. "I would never. My biggest rule has always been my disapproval of work relationships. They're a distraction."

"Well, have you ever had one?"

"No," he frowned.

I gave him a small smile. "Maybe you should." I waved and walked out of his office for the final time. He didn't stop me.

Gretchen was waiting for me at the elevator with my things. Thankfully, it didn't look like she had heard any of my conversation with Zane. If she had, she'd be just as mortified as he was that someone outside of the two of them had noticed their dynamic. But while she would blush and stutter that it couldn't happen, he would be the one to either leave it alone or actually take action.

I'd done all I wanted to. It was up to them to see if it ever played out.

Gretchen groaned and gave me a long, selfish hug. "This is it."

I took a long, shaky breath. "It really is."

She quickly wiped away a stray drop. "Okay," she said. "I need to calm down. I need to let you actually get into the elevator."

I smiled. "Promise me if there's any assignment in California that you'll be on the first plane."

She unsteadily nodded. "I'll fight Ember tooth and nail for it."

I laughed. "Good. I love you, Gretchen. Thanks for everything."

"Of course," she mumbled. "Now leave before I change my mind and tell Zane you're sneaking out one of his coasters."

I stepped into the elevator. "You're the best."

She straightened. "I know."

We saluted each other, and the doors closed, and my adventure at Matteo's International Headquarters was officially over.

As I rode the elevator down, all of the sadness I was trying to keep bottled up for all of my friends' sake was finally washing over me. I was beginning to feel the grief that came with losing people that had become such a huge part of me. And had helped me develop an identity I wouldn't otherwise have without them.

When I got outside, I noticed for the first time that day that it was raining. Not a thunderstorm or flash floods. Just a steady rain of nature taking its course. This only worsened my mood.

But, even in the sheets of rain, I could make out the silhouette of a black lambo waiting for me on the curb.

I shook out my umbrella before walking over to the window. It rolled down.

Skylar smiled at my shocked expression. "Need a lift?" She asked weakly.

"Is it free?" I asked, half serious.

In the drivers seat, I could see Jake.

She gestured to the car. "Call off the taxi. We're taking you to the airport personally."

I laughed. "Are you sure there's room?"

Jake rolled his eyes. "Get in, Bambi."

I didn't argue further. Not while I risked being soaked to the bone.

I opened the trunk to put my mini suitcase in the back and quickly noticed all of other things also present. I smiled to myself, forgetting that I had given Skylar an extra key to my penthouse. They were the best.

I closed the umbrella and climbed into the squeezed backseat.

"You didn't have to."

"You're crazy to think that we wouldn't," Jake chuckled.

"I thought we'd already said all of our goodbyes," I admitted. "I'm not sure I have enough strength to say them again."

Skylar whimpered. "Don't focus on that. We just thought you're last moments are better spent with us than the burly taxi driver who doesn't give a damn."

"Fair point."

Though I wish my last moments had one extra passenger.

I gazed out the window sadly as Jake silently drove. He was blasting Tongue Tied, which, along with rain, sent me deep into my thoughts as I truly looked out at New York for the last time.

I came into this city with a sparkly dress and a thirst for their infamous night life. Considering the alternatives, I felt as though I could say I was coming out on top, save for a couple bumps in the road. And in all fairness, I hadn't come here with the intentions to win Blake back. It just would've been a lucky turn of fate if I had. But as far as everything else went, I had handled it pretty well.

Michigan was over. I'd never have to go back to San Diego. And I had a warm bed and a date to third wheel waiting for me if I ever came back to New York. In one summer, it was hard to convince myself that that wasn't a lot to accomplish and be proud of.

My phone buzzed. I looked down.

Zane just asked me out! In his own way, I think — Gretchen

I smiled sadly.

And now, I was definitely leaving with every loose end tied. I couldn't ask for much more than that.

Only for just that. More.

More time.

More nights out.

More drinks.

More celebrations.

More appreciation for the fortunate life I had gotten to live.

I guess I had to make do with the memories I had.

"We're here."

I broke from my trance. I stared out at the window with actual concentration, and I noticed that we were most definitely not at the airport. Just a tall building in the center of the city, in the exact opposite direction of where my plane would be taking off very shortly.

"What is here?" I asked, slightly panicked. "This isn't the airport."

Skylar turned back to look at me. "I'm sorry," she profusely apologized. "But I left something from a modeling shoot a couple hours ago, and I'm afraid someone's picked it up. Will you come with me find it? I promise it will be real quick."

I didn't have very good luck at the airport. Some gut feeling inside me told me not to push it.

But this was my best friend. Of course I should. Even just to savor my last couple of moments.

I nodded. I exited the car and quickly rushed alongside her to the entrance to the building.

From the looks of it, it was a lavish residential building.

"You were doing a shoot here?" I asked in disbelief.

"It was pretty early this morning," she shrugged. "And we shot it up on the roof. The sky is always the prettiest before a storm."

"Funny, I thought the rainbow came after."

She stuck out her tongue. "Whatever."

We took the elevator, climbed a set of stairs, and soon arrived at the top. She opened the door for me. But she didn't follow.

"So," I said, walking out into the rain, accepting that I was about to be soaked, "what exactly are we looking for—"

I stopped mid-sentence.

I inhaled sharply.

I couldn't hear anything but the traitorous beating of my heart and the soft pattering of the rain as it created a bubble around us and blocked out the rest of the world.

There he was.

I got lost in him, and it was the kind of lost that was exactly like being found.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

827K 24.4K 22
"Please let go of me" "Never, I will never let go of you. You belong with me. Forever" ...
5.7K 288 29
"What else that you want explain ? Another lie ? Another hurting truth ?." She questioned me after she calmed down . I look at her , a little hurt w...
104K 3.7K 42
At lightning speed I threw open the covers of the bed , checking for any trace of missing clothing ; Every ounce of my fiber, of my being was yelling...
119K 3.1K 90
Rank #1 in watty2020 28/1/2020 Rank #1 in eroticaromance 19/1/2020 Rank #9 in watty2020 13/1/2020 Rank #25 in passionate 10/1/2020 Rank #14 in Blaze...