Always and Forever

By BrittanyLeigh8

After a crazy drunken night and marriage to her best friend Nathaniel Holbrook, Peyton Green fled before he h... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 3

18.7K 456 27
By BrittanyLeigh8

Chapter 3

“Don’t be nervous. I’m sure everything will go over fine.” Kristen smiled.

“I hope.” I said nervously.

“But-”

“But what?” I panicked cutting her off.

She pointed down to the engagement ring that rested on my left hand. “I would take that off.”

“Oh yeah.” I said calming down a bit. “I almost forgot.”

“I thought you might.” She said.

I pulled the ring off and placed it in my bag so I wouldn’t lose it and closed it back. I felt bad for doing it but I was afraid that if Nathan new about it he would think I only wanted him for the divorce and would be upset with me. Even if that’s why I came here it’s not the only thing I wanted from him. I still wanted our friendship if that was even possible.

A text on my phone interrupted my thoughts and sent me searching for it. I went through my bag and pulled it out to check it.

Unknown:

The car will arrive at six to get you. See you soon. –Nathan-

I looked at the clock on the wall and saw it was 5:45pm and began to feel nervous again. I don’t know if it was because I was afraid of getting found out or I the fact he was a little more intimidating now than he was before. At least when I was friends with him he wasn’t over a large company and a billionaire. How could someone not feel intimidated by that?

“Are you ok?” Kristen asked.

I gave a small smile and nodded. “I’m fine.”

“When are you leaving?”

“Ten minutes.” I answered.

“Well unless you need anything else you’re ready.” She smiled.

“Thanks Kris.” I said wrapping her up in a hug.

“For what?” She chuckled.

I pulled away and looked her in the eyes. “For everything.”

She had no idea how much I appreciated everything she has done for me since I came back. She could hate me for how everything went but she didn’t.

“You have been here for me since I arrived and you didn’t judge or hate me over everything that happened. Even after I lost contact from you, you were still here for me.” I said.

“That’s because we’re still friends and friends don’t judge. I didn’t know what you might have been going through with all of this so I just let you do what you needed to.” She said.

I grabbed her hand with mine. “Thank you.”

“You can thank me later.” She laughed. “You have a date.”

“It’s not a date. It’s just two friends getting together.” I defended.

“Whatever just go.” She smiled. “You can call and tell me everything later.”

She pushed me to the door and even opened it for me. She defiantly didn’t want me to be late. After we were both out of the room she closed the door behind us and made sure it locked. 

Once we got to the bottom floor of the hotel Kristen bid me goodbye before leaving me on my own. I almost hated to see her go but then again this was my problem to deal with and I wouldn’t feel right dragging her in on it. She was already involved enough as it is.

I walked through the hotel lobby to reach the outside of the building incase Nathan was already there. As soon as I did I noticed a sleek black town car waiting by the curb along with a man in a suit as well. He offered me a friendly smile and spoke before I was able to.

“Good evening Mrs. Holbrook. We will be your ride this evening.” He said opening the door for me.

I was a bit taken back by his words and remained standing there looking at him in surprise. I had no idea Nathan was telling people we were married and I sure wasn’t used to anyone calling me by that name. Why would he tell his driver who I am? Couldn’t a situation like this be messy for him?

“Ma’am?” He said breaking me away from my thoughts.

“Um…yes. I’m sorry.” I smiled and got in the car.

He shut the door after me and went back to the front of the car to get in himself and adjusted his mirror on me before pulling out.

I found this act a little strange but didn’t say anything about it. Maybe he had his reasons or something.

“I’m so pleased to finally met you miss.” He said looking back at me through the mirror. “Nathan has spoken of you often.”

I take it by the use of Nathans first name he must know him well. We’ll any friend of Nathan’s is a friend of mine.

“Really?” I asked slightly surprised. “I thought he might have better things to talk about.”

He chuckled lightly before speaking. “We’ll you have a caring husband if I may say so myself.”

There he is referring to our marriage again. He almost acts as if this whole thing is normal. I must be missing something here.

I didn’t really know what to say so I just offered him a small smile and glanced out the side window.

“Nathan is pleased you have decided to move back home and continue your career here.” He added.

I almost turned my head so fast I got whip lash when I looked at him.

“I’m sorry?” I asked.

“Don’t worry I’m won’t say a word.” He laughed. “Nathan wouldn’t want this getting out to the press until he has had time to speak of it himself.”

This man couldn’t be right. Nathan wouldn’t have been telling anyone that. He knows good and well I don’t plan to move here. I have a life back home and not to mention a fiancé. I’ll have to ask him about that tonight.

I lightly nodded to him still with no reply and stared out my window again. With all this talking I hadn’t been able to take in the scene or even notice where we were going. Plus I was kind of curious where Nathan was living now. I bet it was someplace nice.

The car began to slow almost to a complete stop before turning up a paved side road. The street name was barely visible to me due to the darkening sky but I’m pretty sure it started with an H.

After driving another 50 feet we came to a large iron gate that sat in front of another road. As we pulled up to one of the columns that sat outside of it the driver punched in a code on a pad and the gates opened for us.

He rolled the window up in the care before following the rest of the road. By the looks of things you would think we were visiting the president of the United States or something, not Nathan.

The further we drove up the road a house started to appear in the distance. It wasn’t a little house either. In fact it wasn’t even a house. It was a mansion. I don’t know why I’m surprised though, he does own a multi-million dollar company.

“You’re home miss.” The driver announced pulling my attention away for the house.

Ok this has gone on long enough. I need to straighten this whole thing out before it gets anymore out of hand than it already has.

I smiled at him politely before speaking. “Thank you sir, but this-”

“Call me Carl ma’am.” He said.

“Ok then, Carl.” I said before continuing. “Thank you Carl but this isn’t my home.”

“Nathan said you have been away a while.” He nodded. “But I’m sure with a little time it will feel like home once again.”

I sighed giving up the whole conversation. This is obviously something I will have to take up with Nathan myself.

Carl came to my side of the car and opened up the door for me to get out. I gave him an appreciative smile and stepped out into the cool night air.

After he closed the door back he led me to the door and rang to bell. After a few moments a tiny woman looking somewhere between 40 or 50 answered the door.

She stood about 5 foot tall and had on a blue uniform with a name tag that read Cindy.  She gave me a warm welcoming smile as she invited me in and stepped aside for me to enter. After I gave her my coat she led me to the room we were eating in.

 It was a very nice room with a little table and candles lit on top of it. It was a little to intimate for this occasion but maybe the staff did know what kind of dinner this was when they set it up. It’s nothing more than just two friends who haven’t seen each other in a long time getting together.  

“Peyton, you look beautiful?” Nathan said from behind me.

 I quickly turned on my heal to face him and smiled. “Thank you. I was just admiring the room.”

He returned my smile as he walked to the table and pulled out a chair for me to sit in. “I set it up myself.”

Wait he did this? Why did he make it so romantic? This looks like something you would do for an actual date.

Taking my seat I knew I needed to get to the point soon or else I’ll never get the chance to bring it up. After Nathan was seated in front of me I decided to bring up what I learned from Carl earlier to get some answers.

“You’re driver seems nice.” I noted. 

“He’s been with me for three years. He’s a good friend too.” He said.

“I noticed.” I replied taking a sip of wine. “We had a nice chat in the car earlier.”

“About what?” He asked taking a bite of his food.

I smiled smugly and crossed my arms over my chest as I spoke.

“Oh you know.” I said casually. “Just about me moving back home.”

I then smiled and added. “With my husband.”

He seemed a bit surprised by my statement and looked up to meet my eyes.

“That’s the thing about Carl.  Always letting things slip.” He admitted.

My smile immediately dropped from my face and probably looked like I had just seen a ghost. After all I crazy husband could cause that look to right?

“Why did you tell him that?” I asked.

“Because it’s true.” He said.

I chuckled humorously knowing he had to be joking about this. “Nathan, I’m serious.”

“So am I Peyton.” He added.

“Nathan I’m not moving in with you.” I said firmly.

“You’re my wife, you have to.” He said. “If the press gets word of this then we will be ruined.”

I threw my napkin on the table and stood up angrily from my chair. At this point I was thrilled he decided to have dinner here. I can’t imagine how this would have gone in a restaurant full of people.

“If you would have signed the divorce papers I wouldn’t be your wife.” I half yelled.

“Just listen to me for a minute.” He said standing up as well.

“What could you possibly say to make this any better?” I asked.

“Don’t tell me you’re doing it just to protect yourself.” I added.

He took a step closer to me. “The reason I didn’t sign the divorce was because -”

“You can tell me later. Just sign them now so I can leave.” I said.

He looked at me seriously and crossed his arms before speaking. “I’m not signing them.”

“What?” I yelled. “Is this some kind of revenge you have on me or something?”

“No, it’s actually the complete opposite of that.” He replied.

I shook my head in frustration. “What does that even mean?”

“It means I have another reason and I‘ll contest the divorce putting it on delay for the next year if we can’t compromise.” He said.

I was so mad I could just scream. Where was my friend Nathan and why was he holding our divorce hostage? This wasn’t like him and despite what he has said I think he’s become bitter over the years.

I really wanted to fight him on this right now but I really need this divorce to happen so I knew I had no choice but to hear him out.

“What kind of compromise?” I asked through gritted teeth.

His eyes met mine and held something I couldn’t quite figure out as he paced the room in front of me.

“The terms for getting the divorce are as follows.” He said as if reading it from a contract.

“One, you continue to live here with me as a happily married couple for the next six months. Two, you make everyone believe we have been apart for song long due to our careers and family. And three you accept everything I have to offer without fighting me on it.” He said.

I couldn’t believe what I was actually hearing. Was he really forcing me to stay in this marriage with him? The Nathan I knew wouldn’t do this to me. Now I know he hates me.

I guess there’s only one thing left to do now. It’s the only thing I can think of the actually help me here. I really hadn't planned on doing this to him but here it goes. 

I opened my bag and pulled out my engagement ring and held it out to him. “I’m already engaged.”

He gave me and amused smiled and chuckled. “Yes, to Mason Bell.”

“You know?” I asked a bit taken back.

“Yes and trust me I’m doing you a favor.”He stated. “Do you even know him?”

what kind of question is that? 

“What is that suppose to mean?” I snapped.

“Mason Bell, real estate developer for Bell and Tate.” He said. “One of the most ruthless of developers in the business.”

“He’s not ruthless. In fact he’s nothing but kind.” I defended.

Who was he to think he knew Mason better than myself? He probably didn’t even really know he was at all. It's a low blow to start making false accusations about someone. 

“So he didn’t turnout an entire Orphanage without a hint of regret or that nursing home keeping more than one hundred patients?” He continued. “You know, I’m actually surprise you would go for a person like that.”

“You’re lying.” I accused.

“Am I?” He challenged. “Then why don’t you ask him for yourself?”

I don’t have to stand here and listen to his lies. I’m leaving, divorce or no divorce. 

“Maybe I will.” I roared storming toward the door.

“And when you do and he tells you the truth you know where to find me.” He called after me.

I slammed the door as hard as I could and walked to the awaiting car I arrived in earlier tonight. Carl was already inside waiting on me when I got in. He smiled at me when I gave him orders to take me back to the hotel and complied. Luckily he sensed my mood and didn’t give me anymore news for the night as he drove me back.

One thing is for sure though, I have a lot to figure out and I really hope Nathan wasn’t telling the truth. The thing I feared the most though, was that he was right about everything. Mason never did tell me much about his job and now I just look stupid not knowing anything about the man I was about to marry.

I prayed silently on my way back to the hotel that it wasn’t as bad as I was thinking and Mason really wasn’t a bad guy. I just hope I’m right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment......Vote.....Follow!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.2K 61
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...