Instant Camera - Season 1

Af Cornbread43VA

In the small town of Forsythe, Maine is Forsythe's High School for the Arts, a picture-perfect high school fo... Mere

Characters

S01E01 - Fall in Line

20 0 0
Af Cornbread43VA

Instant Camera

"Fall in Line"

Written By
Corbin Forester

Music By
Aqua

April 24th, 2019

-

INSTANT CAMERA

"Fall in Line"

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

JC, The Square, an antisocial teenage boy with an independent attitude and hard exterior, walks into the school, dragging his feet. All of the next events should be taken with ONE CAMERA PANNING across the whole school. CHRISSIE, The Wisecracker, a smart-alec nervous DJ with a large canvas bag weighing down her shoulder crosses JC's path. He bumps her shoulder on accident, and she drops her large canvas bag, items spilling out.

CHRISSIE
Watch it.

PETER, The Jerkass, a very professional-looking athletic boy with I'm-better-than-all-of-these-hoes energy, smirks and walks past both of them thirsty for the drama. He crosses over to the bulletin board. ATHENA, The Dork, a girl with colorful hair and a positive aura, is shoved away from the bulletin board by Peter where the club sign-up sheets are.

ATHENA
Hey! I wasn't finished writing my name!

PETER
Do you realize who you're talking to? I am Peter Ross. I studied in France for three years. I already have all of my core class credits, so I don't have to take them anymore. Which means I can take as many art classes as I want. I'm taking all of them, by the way, but I'm still going to sign up for the afterschool clubs to show my school spirit.

ATHENA
I was joining the Green Club.

PETER
What a waste of time. Picking up trash, promoting solar panels and recycling and stuff... Some people, I just will never understand.

Athena scoffs and walks away from Peter and goes over to her locker. She opens it violently and hits someone in the face.

ATHENA
Oh, my God, are you okay?

MARKUS, The Ditz, a teen boy with a goofy personality, steps out from behind Athena's locker door, holding his bleeding nose.

MARKUS
(sincerely)
Yeah, I'm fine, it's just pain.

ATHENA
You're bleeding.

Markus looks down at his hand.

MARKUS
(just noticing)
Oh yeah.

Athena shuts her locker and grabs his arm.

ATHENA
Here, I'm taking you to the nurse. Lean forward and cover your nose with something to stop the flow of blood.

MARKUS
I am covering it.

Athena unzips her jacket and gives it to him.

ATHENA
Use my jacket.

MARKUS
Are you sure?

ATHENA
I can get another one.

Markus covers his nose with her jacket. They start walking to the nurse's office.

MARKUS
I'm Markus.

ATHENA
Athena.

The camera PANS AWAY from them into the dance room as they walk past the door.

MS. MARCY
Good work on that plie, Lexie.

LEXIE, The Sage, a senior with a high-held reputation of good deeds and wild hair, is at the ballet barre going into a tendu after a graceful plie. The camera PANS to the doorway where JC is crossing into his painting class.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
It's my first day at Forsythe Art School. I didn't even know there were art schools in Maine. But I didn't even want to go to one. My parents think I have a talent for art. I refused to do performances though, so my mom signed me up for painting and drawing; normal art.

JC sits down at a desk with an easel in front of it. The teacher walks into class.

MS. JEFFERSON
Sit down, everyone.

JC opens his bag and places a bag of pencils and brushes on the tray in the easel. He leans back and crosses his arms, unwilling to cooperate.

TITLE UP:

INSTANT CAMERA

END OF TEASER

-

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. SOUND PRODUCTION CLASS - DAY

Chrissie sets her canvas bag down on her desk. She pulls out her laptop and sets it on her desk. The teacher, JAMES PARKER, walks to her desk.

JAMES
Miss, we provide the laptops here.

CHRISSIE
Oh. So I brought this just to be told to put it away and carry it around the rest of the day with no use for it?

Chrissie doesn't put her laptop away. The teacher raises his eyebrows.

CHRISSIE (CONFESSIONAL)
This laptop has all of the samples that I spent hella time on. If he would let me keep it out, I could show him what I've produced.

JAMES
Miss, I need you to please put this away. I was just saying you don't have to bring this anymore.

CHRISSIE
I produced some samples last night just to show you today.

JAMES
You can email them to me. I need you to put this away though.

The bell RINGS. The teacher walks away. Chrissie rolls her eyes and shoves her computer back into her giant bag. Athena rushes into the room and trips, hitting her head on the desk. The whole class falls SILENT and INHALES SHARPLY.

ALL
(feeling her pain)
Ooh.

Athena jumps up and holds her hands up.

ATHENA
I'm okay! No injuries!

The class exhales in relief and proceeds with their chatter. The teacher walks up to her.

JAMES
What's your name?

ATHENA
Athena.

JAMES
Before I ask why you were late, do you need to go to the nurse?

ATHENA
No, I'm really fine. I just got back from taking a kid to the nurse.

JAMES
Do you have a nurse's note?

Athena hands him a slip of paper. He inspects it thoroughly.

JAMES
Alright, sit down.

ATHENA
Thank you.

Athena sits down next to Chrissie.

CHRISSIE
You hit your head pretty hard. Are you sure you're okay?

ATHENA
I'm completely fine. I'm Athena. Like the Greek goddess.

CHRISSIE
I'm Christina. Like Christina Aguilera. But that's not who I was named after. People usually just call me Chrissie for short.

ATHENA
Nice to meet you, Chrissie.

CHRISSIE
You too, Greek Goddess.

INT. DANCE ROOM - DAY

PETER
Alright, everyone, make way, I have arrived.

Peter shoves a girl out of the way as he walks into the dance room. She looks honored to have been shoved by him.

PETER (CONFESSIONAL)
I'm way more experienced than everyone here if we're being completely honest. I've studied at several prestigious art schools across the world. Everyone probably loves and respects me. I deserve it. I think everyone here should just quit. They have no chance against me, especially since I am in all of the courses. That's right. I'm a singer, dancer, producer, actor, artist--

CUT AWAY from Peter's confessional. The dance teacher walks into the classroom.

MS. MARCY
Everyone, take place at the barre.

Everyone runs to the barre. They all assume first position. Peter pulls Lexie away from the front of the barre.

PETER
Move, I belong at the front of the barre.

Lexie scoffs and walks to another spot.

LEXIE (CONFESSIONAL)
Did that sophomore just take my spot on the barre? I've been at that same spot since I was a sophomore. I won't let him ruin my dance experience in my senior year.

MS. MARCY
We will have a project next week where you will all be assigned partners. It will be to create a dance to express a child's fairy tale. That won't be until next week though, so don't fret just yet. Second position!

INT. VISUAL ARTS ROOM - DAY

Markus runs into class. As he runs in, he trips over an easel leg and falls on top of JC's desk, knocking over his canvas.

JC
Agh! What the hell?

MARKUS
I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Markus gets up and walks to the front of the class.

MS. JEFFERSON
I can tell you're going to be fun.

MARKUS
Ms. Jefferson, I'm so sorry. Um, I have a nurse's note. I was late because I broke my nose.

MS. JEFFERSON
We haven't even made it past the first period, and you have already destroyed school property and broken yourself twice?

MARKUS
I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything except my back. Speaking of which, can I go back to the nurse?

MS. JEFFERSON
You'll be fine, you don't need your spine. Take a seat--what's your name?

MARKUS
I'm Markus.

MS. JEFFERSON
Everyone, say hi to Markus.

The class stays silent.

MS. JEFFERSON
Okay.

EXT. SCHOOL COURTYARD - DAY

JC sits down at a table. He sees Chrissie. She's looking around for a place to sit.

JC
(to Chrissie)
Hey!

Chrissie looks over at him and points to herself in question.

JC (CONT'D)
Yeah, come here!

Chrissie walks over, taken aback. She looks around to see if anyone is noticing this.

CHRISSIE
What do you want?

JC
You looked lonely. I'm JC. Do you want to sit here?

CHRISSIE
I am not lonely, and I don't need your pity.

Chrissie walks away to another table.

JC
So much for making friends.

Markus walks up to JC.

MARKUS
Did I, perhaps, by chance, knock over your easel?

JC
Oh, you're that kid? Markus, right?

MARKUS
Yeah, I'm so sorry about falling on you today. And knocking over your canvas.

JC
You owe me by the way. But I forgive you.

MARKUS
Uh, can I sit here? I have literally no one to sit with.

JC
Sure. I have "literally no one to sit with" either.

Markus sits down with JC.

MARKUS
Thanks. It's been pretty intimidating today. This is my first day at an art high school.

JC
I'm pretty sure it's everyone's first day at an art high school.

Markus chuckles bashfully.

INT. MEN'S DRESSING ROOM - DAY

Lexie sneaks into a room with a sign on the door: "MEN'S". When the door closes, she starts looking for the locker with Peter's name on it.

LEXIE
(muttering to herself)
Felix, Alex, Julian, Damien...

Lexie's finger taps a locker with Peter's name on it.

LEXIE (CONT'D)
Peter Ross.

Lexie picks the lock with a bobby pin and opens the door. Nothing is inside except for his phone and normal clothes.

PETER
Why are you in the men's dressing room?

Lexie jumps up in surprise, seeing that Peter had entered the room unexpectedly. He is wearing his dance clothes.

LEXIE
I was going to steal your dance clothes so that you were late to dance tomorrow. I don't appreciate you stealing my spot on the barre this morning.

PETER
You're cute, Alexia. But you don't want revenge.

Peter backs her up.

PETER
You've been here a while. I don't think you've experienced someone like me. And let me be honest...

Lexie hits the wall. Peter gets really close to her, a hand on her shoulder, pinning her to the wall.

PETER (CONT'D)
I don't think you're going to like what happens if you mess with me.

Peter steps back.

PETER
Oh, and you should leave. I need to change.

Lexie pauses before she turns out of the door.

PETER
She's fun.

LEXIE (CONFESSIONAL)
I am not going to let a cocky sophomore scare me.

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT ONE

-

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. VOCALS CLASS - DAY

Markus sits down in a chair in the front of the room. Peter walks up to him.

PETER
Find another spot.

MARKUS
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize this seat was reserved.

Markus gets up and moves his backpack to the seat next to the one he was sitting in. Peter sits at the desk.

PETER
I always sit front and center to give off a good impression. Now that I've told you, we can avoid situations like this in the future.

MARKUS
Wait, so that seat wasn't reserved?

PETER
Of course not. I just wanted it.

MARKUS
And you just automatically get everything you want?

PETER
I don't think you realize who you're talking to. I am Peter Ross. I studied in France for three years. I already have all of my core class credits, so I don't have to take them anymore. Which means I can take as many art classes as I want. I'm taking all of them, by the way. I also signed up for most of the afterschool clubs to show my school spirit.

MARKUS
How long did you practice that monologue before you got here?

PETER
I don't know what you're talking about.

MARKUS
(noticing Peter's expensive attire)
Are you rich?

PETER
I'm... flush.

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
He's totally rich. And he's kinda braggy. If that's a word. But so far, he's been pretty nice to me. I am making friends left, right, and center today, starting with that girl Athena, then JC, and now Peter Ross... You're irresistible, Markus DeVault.

PETER
I'm a very humble person, so I just like to say I'm flush even though I'm, like, freakin' loaded with cash. Like, we need two vaults for all of our money.

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
I can't tell if this is going to get on my nerves yet...

INT. INSTRUMENTS ROOM - DAY

Athena walks into class with a guitar strapped to her back. Chrissie walks in behind her.

ATHENA
Chrissie, where's your instrument?

CHRISSIE
I didn't bring one.

ATHENA
What instrument did you audition for this school with?

CHRISSIE
I play a pretty mean triangle.

They sit in risers. The boring INSTRUMENTS TEACHER enters the class.

MR. TORREZ
Sit down, guys. If you brought an instrument set it at your feet. If you didn't, I'll assign you one after performances, okay?

ATHENA
(suddenly anxious)
Performances? Did he say performances? I don't have anything prepared! And I am a terrible singer!

CHRISSIE
Relax, Athena, I'll go up there with you. I don't think I can play triangle alone anyway. I'll sing. Just play a cover song that you know. I'll sing the lyrics.

Athena seems to relax. Other students file in, and the bell RINGS. The teacher stands at the front of the class.

MR. TORREZ
Good afternoon, students. I am Mr. Torrez, your musical instruments teacher. I know this is such short notice, but I'm going to go in alphabetical order of first names to come up here and perform a song for us. It can be an original if you want, but you can also do a cover. Those of you without instruments don't have to perform today, but you will tomorrow after you're assigned an instrument. Um, first up on the roster is Athena Ambrosia.

Chrissie throws her hand into the air. The teacher nods in acknowledgment.

CHRISSIE
Can I go with her?

MR. TORREZ
What's your name?

CHRISSIE
Christina Washington? You can call me Chrissie.

MR. TORREZ
Aren't you the girl who auditioned with a triangle?

Athena looks at Chrissie in shock. She hadn't believed her at first. Chrissie nods her head confidently.

MR. TORREZ (CONT'D)
You can go with Athena. Why the hell not?

Chrissie and Athena step up to the front of the classroom. Athena picks up her guitar--and freezes. Chrissie elbows her, but Athena shakes her head. She's got stage fright. Chrissie runs over to a desk with instruments on it and grabs a triangle. She starts TAPPING a steady rhythm on the triangle. Thus begins "Roses are Red - Chrissie Version."

CHRISSIE
Roses are red
And violets are blue
Honey is sweet
But not as sweet as you
Roses are red
And violets are blue
Dum di da di da
Dum di da di da
Dum di da di da
Dum di da di da
Dum di da di da
Dum di da di da

Chrissie gestures for Athena to start playing. Athena starts PICKING the melody on her guitar. Athena's stagefright slowly starts to fade. She plays the guitar beautifully, it's almost hard to believe she has stage fright.

CHRISSIE
Sweet from the flowers
Honey from the bees
I got a feeling I'm ready to release
Roses are red
And violets are blue
Honey is sweet
But not as sweet as you

ATHENA
(straining vocal chords)
It's invincible but
So touchable
And I can feel it on my body

(voice crack)
So emotional

Athena stops playing and runs out of class in embarrassment.

MR. TORREZ
She's a good guitar player, I'll give her that.

The class LAUGHS.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

Athena is sitting against the wall, crying into her knees. Chrissie walks out of the classroom and sits next to her.

CHRISSIE
Athena, are you okay?

ATHENA
That was so embarrassing. I shouldn't have ever started singing in the first place.

CHRISSIE
Maybe singing didn't work out for you, but guitar sure as hell did.

ATHENA
Yeah, right. I was so basic.

CHRISSIE
Basic? That was amazing, Athena. Stop beating yourself up, because it's pointless.

ATHENA
Really?

CHRISSIE
Yes, dumbass!

ATHENA
Thanks, Chrissie.

CHRISSIE
Anytime, Athena. C'mon, let's go back in there and kick music's ass!

Athena and Chrissie link arms and walk into the classroom.

INT. INSTRUMENTS ROOM - DAY

ATHENA
We're gonna kick music's ass!

The class is awkwardly silent.

MR. TORREZ
Take a seat, Ms. Ambrosia.

INT. ENGLISH CLASS - DAY

The bell RINGS. It is chaos with the kids trying to get out of the classroom. JC gets up and drops his binder, papers spilling out everywhere.

JC
Shi...
(noticing the teacher looking at him)
...oot. Shoot.

JC bends down and starts to pick up his papers.

MS. MARLEY
Mr. Williamson.

JC
I didn't swear. Technically.

MS. MARLEY
It's not that. I wanted to talk to you about your commitment.

JC
Commitment?

MS. MARLEY
Mrs. Jefferson and I were talking. You have beautiful artwork. But she noticed you almost seemed not to care at all. In my English class, you work really hard, and I think you could be a straight-A student. So why aren't you enjoying your art class?

JC
Art just isn't my thing.

MS. MARLEY
Then why are you here, JC? Visual arts is your only art class. Most people here take at least two. Hell, even that kid Peter Ross is taking all of the art classes we offer here. And he signed up for an afterschool club every day of the week. We should probably stop him, but we need the money because his parents are freaking loaded.

JC
What does this have to do with me?

MS. MARLEY
(long pause)
Whew, I just had a mini-stroke thinking of what I could do if I had all the money the Ross family has. Damn, I could do a lot.

JC
Ms. Marley! Back to the present!

MS. MARLEY
Sorry, JC. Just tell me, do you really hate art?

JC
My parents put me in this without my permission. I did not want to go here at all.

MS. MARLEY
And yet you didn't flunk your auditions. I saw your portfolio. You are very talented. Embrace it.

JC is taken aback. He turns around and walks out of the classroom, pausing in the doorway to look back at the teacher. Then he continues into the hallway.

EXT. WILLIAMSON RESIDENCE - SUNSET

JC's parents are waiting on the front porch for him. They stand up and hug him. JC pushes them away.

JC
You've never waited for me to get home before. What's going on?

SIENNA
JC, we got a call from the visual arts teacher.

JC
Oh, my God, of course she called you.

RYLAND
You're so talented! What's going on?

SIENNA
Yeah, sweetheart, why aren't you trying in your art class? You love painting and music and art and drama--

JC
No, Mom, that's what you want me to love! That's not what I love!

RYLAND
Do not raise your voice to your mother!

SIENNA
No, Ryland, let him. Let JC tell me what he has to tell me.

JC looks extremely angry like he's been holding in all of his frustration and he's about to explode.

JC
You guys want me to do this because you weren't the captain of the basketball team or in the Gifted & Talented Program! I was! I loved that. I didn't want to spend my mornings learning how to blend acrylics or some crap like that.

SIENNA
We also weren't artists or actors or singers or dancers.

JC
First of all, I cannot sing to save my life. Secondly, if you weren't, then maybe you're doing this to prove to yourself some sort of corrupt point. Your life was meaningless as a teen, so you're making sure mine isn't because you don't believe in sports or science.

RYLAND
You need to accept the fact that we know what's best for you. We make the decisions in your life while you are under this roof!

SIENNA
Do not talk to my son like that!

RYLAND
Your son? You're looking at the Y-chromosome.

SIENNA
Sorry, was I having a conversation with you? No, I wasn't.

RYLAND
JC needs to--

JC
Stop talking about what I need!

SIENNA
ENOUGH! JC, you are going back to school tomorrow, and that is final! I don't want to hear anything from anyone anymore!

Sienna walks inside. JC and Ryland exchange glances.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
I can't stay at this school.

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT TWO

-

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. VISUAL ARTS ROOM - DAY

JC walks into class and sits next to Markus.

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
He sat next to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but he obviously wanted to be near me.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
Don't get me wrong; I hate this place. But this kid Markus makes it not so bad. He's pretty cool.

JC leans close to Markus to tell him something. Markus lays his head on JC's shoulder thinking that's what JC was trying to do.

JC
What are you doing?

CONFESSIONAL: 

Markus face-palms himself.

CUT BACK.

MARKUS
I don't know, what were you doing?

JC
I was gonna whisper something in your ear.

MARKUS
Oh. What sweet nothings were you gonna say?

JC
Wanna skip class?

MARKUS
Hell yeah!

JC
(raising hand)
Mrs. Jefferson, can I go to the bathroom?

MS. JEFFERSON
Sure, JC. Take the pass.

MARKUS
Can I go too?

MS. JEFFERSON
Oh, no. I see what's going on here. This isn't the first time two boys tried to go to the bathroom together and end up pregnant.

JC
Huh?

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
Dammit, she's onto us.

MS. JEFFERSON
Sit down, Casanovas.

INT. DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION ROOM - DAY

Athena is behind a computer with Chrissie.

JAMES
Everyone, can I have your attention? I'm assigning you a project due by the end of the semester. Yes, it will take a while. You will take a song that already exists and make it all your own. Produce the instrumental, sing, mix, everything. Selena, what do you think you and Jaxon are going to do?

SELENA
Something with electric guitars.

JAMES
Felicity?

FELICITY
Something that makes you want to rip someone's heart out in agony and anger.

The class is silent. The guy sitting next to her starts to slowly scoot his chair away from her.

JAMES
Thank you, Felicity. Chrissie?

CHRISSIE
Roses are Red by Aqua. Acoustic.

A couple of students chuckle.

JAMES
Aqua. Bold choice.

CHRISSIE
What's wrong with Aqua? Aqua is a great group. You know what? We're gonna make the best damn Aqua cover there's ever been, and it's gonna be the best damn thing to ever bless your eardrums!

ATHENA
We are Music Jesus!

CHRISSIE
We are Music Jesus!

ATHENA
Hell yeah!

CHRISSIE
Hell yeah!

The girls chest bump.

JAMES
Love the enthusiasm. Now take it down several notches. Actually, girls, there is a twist.

Athena and Chrissie exchange worried looks.

JAMES (CONT'D)
For the first week of the project, you will have to record separate versions of the song. You will be working together on that song eventually. But this week, you will be on separate computers doing separate mixes.

CHRISSIE
(to Athena)
I'm gonna mess you up!

ATHENA
I'll mess you up harder!

CHRISSIE
Mine will make you clap your flat ass in the air!

ATHENA
Are you trying to say mine won't be good?

CHRISSIE
Funny, I could ask you the same thing.

JAMES
Ladies, no one will be clapping anyone's asses, okay? Sit down.

Chrissie and Athena sit down, staring in the other's eyes.

INT. DANCE ROOM - DAY

MS. MARCY
Five, six, seven, eight.

All of the dancers begin moving to MUSIC.

MS. MARCY (CONT'D)
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Extend your legs, Peter.

PETER
(mutters)
Don't tell me what to do.

MS. MARCY
(sigh)
Take five, guys. I'll be right back.

The teacher exits the room. Peter walks up to Lexie who is drinking water. He takes the bottle out of her hand and sets it on the floor.

PETER
You were getting in my way, Alexia.

LEXIE
If you would dance better, I wouldn't get in your way.

PETER
Dance better? Your best looks worse than marking.

The class OOHS. Lexie steps up to his face.

LEXIE
Then let's settle this with a dance-off.

Lexie walks to the stereo and plugs in her phone. She opens up her music app and PLAYS an energetic EDM song. She walks up to Peter and wraps her arms around his neck. They start slowly, rocking to the melody. Lexie turns around, putting her hands on the back of his head.

The beat drops. Lexie drops too, just to be pulled up by Peter. He dips her, and she flips over his arm. They begin snaking and twining themselves around each other in beautiful choreography. When the beat settles, they begin doing a complicated partner dance full of different acrobatics.

Until the second beat drop. Then they get more competitive. Lexie separates and does her part, passing it off to Peter, who does an incredible response, passing it back to her. She does her dance, passing it to him. He takes longer to do his part. In impatience, Lexie grabs a hold of his outstretched arm and twirls herself into his chest as the song ends.

The crowd GOES WILD. Two students walk to the front of the class.

DANCE STUDENT 1
All for Peter?

No one.

DANCE STUDENT 2
All for Lexie?

No one.

LEXIE (CONFESSIONAL)
What just happened? Are they afraid of both of us?

EXT. COURTYARD - DAY

JC and Markus are sitting together laughing.

MARKUS
I told her she was gonna break her kneecaps, but she didn't listen.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
I know I can be open around him.

JC
(beat)
I guess I should tell you that I'm not taking any other classes because... I'm afraid of failure. I mean, if I'm bad at that stuff, there's no eraser. There's no painting over it. You have to embrace that you screwed up. I don't like that. That's why I'm only doing visual arts. But, y'know, I thought this school was going to be hell. I thought everyone was going to judge me, think I was lame for going to an art school. But then I met people like you that make it worthwhile. And I realize I'm not a loser; I'm just like the people here. And you helped me see that.
(short beat)
Thanks, Markus.

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

Lexie goes and sits down with Athena.

ATHENA
Hi. You're a senior.

LEXIE
I am. I'm Lexie. I didn't want to have lunch with the other seniors today. They'll just be buzzing about my dance-off with Peter Ross.

Athena spits out her orange juice.

ATHENA
You had a dance-off with the for-real-for-real Peter Ross?

LEXIE
Yeah.

ATHENA
Like The Peter "Jerkass-Who-Shoves-You-Out-Of-His-Way-Because-He's-More-Important-Than-Your-Safety-And-Will-Make-Fun-Of-You-For-Recycling-Even-Though-He-Says-He's-All-For-Going-Green" Ross?

LEXIE
That is a very accurate description, yes.

ATHENA
And you challenged him to a dance-off?

LEXIE
He stole my spot at the barre.

Athena starts choking on her food. Her face turns red and she starts crying until she has successfully swallowed it.

ATHENA
I just choked on my taquito.

LEXIE
Do you need to go to the nurse, are you okay?

ATHENA
I'm fine, I just stopped breathing momentarily. Wait, you said he stole your place at the barre? That's like being a homewrecker!

LEXIE
Right! You think he'd know that after all of those French schools he's studied at.

ATHENA
Let me help you get revenge.

LEXIE
Don't. A tawdry sophomore isn't anything to worry about. Maybe my spot at the barre is, but he's not worth it. Hey, don't you usually sit with another girl?

ATHENA
Oh, Chrissie? Yeah, we sit together all the time. But we have a project, and we're getting a little competitive over it.

LEXIE
How is it only the second day and everyone is already wrapped up in drama?

ATHENA
(pointing at Markus and JC)
Those two boys aren't.

LEXIE
Ha, just wait.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

Chrissie and Athena are walking to class. Athena walks into the bathroom. Chrissie sees her and pays no mind. Chrissie walks into the classroom.

INT. DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION ROOM - DAY

She sets her things down and waits for Athena to show up. But she doesn't show up. The bell RINGS. She looks out the window but sees no sign of Athena. She takes her things out of her bag and sets them on the table.

JAMES
Everyone log in to the computers. Today we're learning about parametric equalizers.

Chrissie keeps looking at the door.

JAMES
Is there something wrong, Chrissie?

CHRISSIE
No, sir.

JAMES
Alright, once you-- Yes, Chrissie?

Chrissie is raising her hand and looking at the door.

CHRISSIE
Can I go to the bathroom?

JAMES
No, it's still the first ten minutes of class.

CHRISSIE
(lying)
No, I don't think you understand. It's that time of the month for me.

JAMES
(realization hits him like a truck)
Oh! Yeah, go ahead. Just take the pass.

Chrissie grabs a pass off of the wall and goes outside.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

Chrissie walks into the girls' bathroom.

CHRISSIE
Athena? Are you in here?

Upon hearing no response, she walks out of the bathroom and walks down the hallway. She hears a door open. She runs down the hallway and sees the men's dressing room door open. She peeks inside, half-hoping not to see a naked boy, and also half-hoping to see a naked boy, and sees Athena.

CHRISSIE
Athena!

In surprise, Athena throws a jar of peanut butter and hits Chrissie in the face.

CHRISSIE
Ow!

ATHENA
Chrissie? Oh my gosh, I am so sorry.

CHRISSIE
Is this peanut butter?

ATHENA
Yeah. I was sabotaging Peter Ross's ballet clothes. He stole Lexie Dewberry's spot on the barre.

CHRISSIE
What?! That's like becoming a homewrecker! And who's Lexie Dewberry?

ATHENA
She's this really cool senior that sat with me at lunch today.

CHRISSIE
Of course she does, the day I'm not sitting with you.

ATHENA
To be fair, I think she sat with me because you weren't. Wait, Chrissie, please don't tell anyone.

CHRISSIE
I promise, Greek Goddess.

ATHENA
Thanks so much.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

JC is walking with Markus through the crowd of people dying to get out of school.

JC
I've got pictures of the gallery if you want me to show you.
(reaches for his phone)
Crap, I forgot my phone in my last class. I'm gonna run and grab it. I'll catch you later, Markus.

MARKUS
Bye, JC.

INT. ENGLISH CLASS - DAY

JC walks into his class and grabs his phone off of a desk, closing the door behind him.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

As he walks back out into the hallway, he sees Lexie walk into another room.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
Why didn't she walk towards the exit?

JC gets closer to the room. He looks in the classroom window. James and Lexie are talking inaudibly. Suddenly, James pulls her in close and kisses her. JC is shocked and stunned. He pulls out his phone and begins recording.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
What. The. Hell.

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT THREE

-

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

INT. JC'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

JC is in bed, staring at his phone somberly. He is clearly very tired but is kept up by a nagging conscience.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
I am still watching that video. It makes me sick to the stomach to watch it, but why can't I stop? Why would a senior... I can't believe this.
(beat)
What do I do with the video? Should I post it? Report it? Hold it with me forever?

JC looks at the video. He decides to delete it.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
This is for the best. But it's not just the video bothering me. I know something I shouldn't. I know that Mr. Parker and a student have been hooking up. Who do I tell? Do I even tell anyone?

EXT. COURTYARD - DAY

JC is sitting across from Markus. He is zoning out into space. Markus looks to see if he is staring at something, but there is nothing there.

MARKUS
JC, are you okay?

JC
Were you saying something?

MARKUS
Yeah, I was telling you that I want to be a stripper when I grow up and that I've been hooking up with your grandpa...

JC
That's really cool, Markus.

Markus notices he's zoned out again. He strikes JC across the face.

JC
Markus!

MARKUS
I've known you for a week, but I'm pretty sure you don't normally just zone out when someone's speaking to you. Especially me.

JC
I'm so sorry, Mark-- I'll be back.

JC jumps out of his seat and walks away.

MARKUS
JC, what the hell?

We finally see that JC saw Lexie entering the courtyard. He grabs her elbow as she's walking to a table and drags her around the corner.

LEXIE
Hey! What are you--?

JC
Do you know Mr. Parker?

LEXIE
Yeah, why? Let me go--

JC
And did you, or did you not kiss him last night?

Lexie looks at him in terror and disgust. She kicks him in the stomach and tries to run, but he catches her arm.

LEXIE
Where did you learn about that?

JC
Does anyone know?

LEXIE
How did you find out?

JC
I saw it. I caught it on video.

Lexie stops struggling. Instead, she backs him up and reaches out her hand.

LEXIE
Give me your phone. Now.

JC
I deleted it, I promise.

LEXIE
You can't tell anyone. Not even your closest friends.

JC
Does anyone else know?

LEXIE
Only my parents.

JC
What?! Why do your parents know?

LEXIE
My dad lost his job. We're really poor. They encouraged me to seduce Mr. Parker for money.

JC
So it's non-consensual child prostitution?

LEXIE
Just please keep it a secret. I'm Lexie.

JC
I'm JC. And I promise I won't spill your secret, but you have to do the right thing eventually.

LEXIE
Good, because you're already way in over your head.

INT. VOCALS ROOM - DAY

Markus and Peter are sitting next to each other. The teacher walks around the classroom with a pitch pipe.

MR. DIMITRE
When I blow the pipe, tell me the pitch. If you get that letter wrong, you will go up and sing the song of my choice.

Mr. Dimitre blows a C. He points at the first student.

VOCALS STUDENT 1
C.

Mr. Dimitre blows a D.

VOCALS STUDENT 2
D.

Mr. Dimitre blows a B. He points at Peter.

PETER
A.

MR. DIMITRE
Incorrect, Peter. Your song will be...

Peter smiles, knowing he gets to sing a song and show off to everyone. Mr. Dimitre pulls a piece of paper out of a cup.

MR. DIMITRE (CONT'D)
Hello. By Lionel Richie.

Mr. Dimitre goes over to his computer and presses play. The music to "Hello" starts.

PETER
I've been alone with you inside my mind
And in my dreams I've kissed your lips
A thousand times
I sometimes see you pass outside my door
Hello? Is it me you're looking for?
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
You're all I've ever wanted

(looking Markus in the eyes)
And my arms are open wide

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
He's making this seem really personal.

PETER (CONT'D)
'Cause you know just what to say
And you know just what to do
And I want to tell you so much

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
Don't look me in the eyes and say it!

PETER
I love you.

MARKUS (CONFESSIONAL)
Son of a bitch.

MR. DIMITRE
Very good, Peter. Next... Maria-Beth, come on. Participate in the class.

MARIA-BETH EVANS looks up from the back corner of the room, clearly an introvert with long, straight hair and a wistful look about her. She has an instant camera sitting on her desk and some of the photos from it scattered on her desk. She shakes her head.

MR. DIMITRE
Okay, then. Next we'll have Markus.

Mr. Dimitre blows an A.

MARKUS
B?

Mr. Dimitre reaches into the cup and pulls out a slip of paper.

MR. DIMITRE
Milkshake by Kelis.

MARKUS
What?! Why did he get the Lionel Richie song, and I have to--

The music to "Milkshake" begins playing.

MARKUS
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like, "It's better than yours,"
Damn right, "It's better than yours,"
I could teach you, but I'd have to charge

INT. GYM - DAY

Athena and Chrissie are running laps around the gym.

CHRISSIE
When I decided to go to an art school, I thought the P.E. class was going to be something cool like interpretive dance or catch the microphone. But this? Running laps around the gym and playing basketball... is not what I had in mind.

ATHENA
No joke, man. And we have to actually know what basketball is? It was humiliating yesterday when the coach asked me what it's called when a basketball went into the hoop. How am I supposed to know the difference between a home run and a touchdown?

CHRISSIE
It was neither of those.

ATHENA
It wasn't?

CHRISSIE
No, it was a strike.

ATHENA
I thought a strike was only in soccer.

CHRISSIE
No, in soccer it's a hole-in-one.

Athena and Chrissie sit on the bench with a bottle of water.

CHRISSIE
I finished the project.

ATHENA
I already turned mine in. And I can guarantee it's way better than yours.

CHRISSIE
Try again, Greek Goddess. That joke wasn't funny.

ATHENA
It's cute that you think I was joking.

CHRISSIE
So where did you hide Peter's ballet shoes?

ATHENA
I put peanut butter in them and hid them in the ceiling of the girls' P.E. locker room. And by in the ceiling, I mean in the ceiling.

CHRISSIE
What was the point of peanut butter?

ATHENA
He's gonna find them. I set up a scavenger hunt for him so he can find his shoes. And when he does...

CHRISSIE
I'm beginning to like you a little more every day.

ATHENA
I like me more every day too.

INT. ENGLISH CLASS - DAY

JC is sleeping in class.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY--DREAM SEQUENCE

JC walks out of class. He sees Lexie walking past the hallway. He follows her and looks at the window in the door. When she reaches up to kiss James, James notices JC.

JAMES
JC? JC?

INT. ENGLISH CLASS - DAY

The teacher is shaking JC awake.

JC
Sorry. I'm sorry.

JC grabs his pencil, trying to appear natural. It's not working well.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

JC walks out of class. He walks down the hallway for a few seconds before he runs into Chrissie.

CHRISSIE
We really need to stop meeting like this.

JC
I'm sorry, Chrissie.

CHRISSIE
At least this time you didn't make me drop all of my stuff.

Athena walks out of the locker room doors.

ATHENA
Chrissie, I think Felicity Mason just got a concussion.
(noticing JC)
Hi.

JC
Hi.

CHRISSIE
What do you want me to do?

JC
Chrissie, will you listen to me for a minute?

CHRISSIE
Fine. What do you want?

JC
I'm sorry for knocking you and your stuff over on the first day of school and making you feel awkward about having no friends-- 

CHRISSIE
I have friends!

JC (CONT'D)
But I want to put all of that behind us. I'm saying sorry because I care. If I didn't, I wouldn't try to apologize.

CHRISSIE
It's whatever.

ATHENA
So are you guys friends?

CHRISSIE
(shrugging)
Sure, I guess.

JC
Thanks, Chrissie.

JC sees Lexie sneaking the other way down a different hallway. No one else notices her. Chrissie and Athena hug goodbye. Chrissie walks down the stream of students while Athena goes back into the locker room. JC hesitates before deciding he should leave the school.

INT. DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION ROOM - DAY

Lexie walks into the room and locks the door.

LEXIE
Mr. Parker?

JAMES
I think you can start calling me James.

LEXIE
I'm not that close to you. I'm not your girlfriend.

JAMES
Why not, Lexie? We feel the same way about each other.

LEXIE
I don't. You pay me. I'll never love you.

James shoves her against the wall, pressing his body against hers.

JAMES
(vigorously, maliciously)
Why? Do you like being called a little slut?

LEXIE
Mr. Parker--

JAMES
Call me James.

He slams her down on the desk. She gasps as he lays on top of her. He grabs her chin to look at his face.

JAMES
Say it.

LEXIE
(beat)
James.

He slaps her.

JAMES
Again.

LEXIE
James.

Through the window of the classroom, we can see James starting to kiss her.

EXT. COURTYARD - DAY

JC is walking out of the school. As he's walking out, he gets a call on his phone from his dad.

JC
(to the phone)
Hey, Dad. What's up?

RYLAND
(over the phone)
Come home quickly.

JC
Why, what's wrong?

RYLAND
Your mother has just been arrested for murder.

INT. WILLIAMSON RESIDENCE - DAY

JC rushes into the door. He throws his backpack onto the coffee table, knocking over several objects. He runs into the kitchen where his dad is walking in from another room.

JC
Where is Mom?

RYLAND
JC. You're home.

He envelopes JC in a tender hug. Both of them are visibly pained.

JC
Dad. I need to know what happened to Mom.

Ryland steps back from JC. He sighs and puts his hand on his forehead in distress.

RYLAND
Your mother killed Uncle Abel.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
(shocked and distraught, yet still trying to remain calm)
Uncle Abel was Mom's brother. They were always so close. When my dad was away on business trips, Uncle Abel would help my mom and me around the house. He would take us out for sushi, help us anytime we needed it. And she loved him too.
(burying his face in his hands)
Why would she do this?

LATER

It is late at night. Ryland walks into his bedroom when his phone RINGS. He looks at the caller ID: "FORSYTHE COUNTY POLICE STATION". He answers quickly.

RYLAND
(into phone)
Hello?

SIENNA
(over the phone)
Ryland, it's me.

RYLAND
Sienna! Are you okay?

SIENNA
I'm doing fine, Ryland. I'm just in jail for killing my brother. Listen, I don't have long, but I need you to get me an attorney. I also need you to know, Abel is dead, but I did not kill him.

RYLAND
What?

SIENNA
I'm being framed. And I think I know by who, but I can't tell anyone that yet because I'm not at my hearing. Ryland, I don't want the death sentence.
(her voice breaks, pause)
I know you're the only one who'll believe me. I used to be involved with a mafioso. I left him, and now I think he's trying to get me back.

RYLAND
What could you have possibly done that made him kill your brother and frame you for it?

SIENNA
Telling you this could put you in danger. I've already said too much. But I know this for a fact: he wants me dead. Don't tell JC, Ryland. I can't put him in danger too. I would rather I didn't have to tell you, but I need you to save me.
(pause)
I love you, Ryland. I have to go.

The HANG-UP TONE sounds.

EXT. COURTYARD - DAY

JC is sitting with Markus at their usual table.

MARKUS
JC, are you okay? You look super depressed.

JC (CONFESSIONAL)
How do I tell him that my mother just got arrested for murdering her brother? How do I pretend everything is going to be fine when my mother could get the death penalty? When I could never see my mother again?

JC
I'm fine.

MARKUS
No, you're not. I know you.

JC
I'm sure.

MARKUS
Why are you--?

JC
Markus! I told you I'm fine, so stop pressing me--

Chrissie and Athena walk over to JC and Markus's table.

ATHENA
Can we eat breakfast with you two today?

Markus looks at them, then makes eye contact with JC.

MARKUS
Of course, girls.

Markus scoots over to let Athena next to him while Chrissie sits next to JC.

ATHENA
(to Markus)
Run into anyone's locker lately?

MARKUS
I'm on a two-day streak.

ATHENA
Okay. We're making progress.

CHRISSIE
(to JC)
Knock anyone's things out of their hands lately?

JC looks at her pointedly.

CHRISSIE (CONT'D)
You know what, that actually wasn't funny.

ATHENA
JC, you look sad.

JC
(trying to fake smile)
I'm fine.

CHRISSIE
There's a reason you're not in acting, JC. Just tell us what's up.

JC
Oh, my God, I'm fine! Trust me, I'm completely fine! Nothing is wrong!

He gets up suddenly and stalks off. The three remaining exchange glances.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

JC meanders down the hallway. He walks past the dance room where he spots Lexie dancing vigorously. He walks inside.

INT. DANCE ROOM - DAY

JC
Lexie?

Lexie turns around and notices JC. She turns her music off.

LEXIE
JC.

JC
Why are you dancing so early?

LEXIE
Dancing, music, helps me clear my head. Especially after days like yesterday.

JC
I wish it were that easy for me. Painting doesn't clear my head, and it's one of the few things I'm good at. I need a way, any way, to feel better.
(remembering Lexie)
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make it all about me.

LEXIE
No one's pain is unimportant or invalidated and is certainly not less important than someone else's.

JC
I feel like you're the only person I can tell.

LEXIE
Me too.

Lexie and JC sit against the wall together.

JC
You first. I want to hear from you.

LEXIE
Mr. Parker thinks we're dating. He's getting more aggressive and... I don't know what to think. When I'm around him I have to call him by his first name... It sucks. It's so horrible to be treated this way by an adult who works in an institute full of children.

JC
I never thought about it that way. That's really scary. How many other teenage girls...

They exchange scared and understanding glances.

LEXIE
Why are you upset?

JC
(sharp breath)
My mom got arrested for killing her older brother.

LEXIE
What? JC, that's... Are you okay?

JC
How can I be, knowing I'm never going to see my mom and uncle again?

Lexie pulls JC into a hug.

JC
I don't cry. I never cry.

LEXIE
Never be ashamed of your tears. Happy or sad, they are cleansing the body of its stress. It is a release of all of the negativity you can no longer bear. It's always okay to cry, no matter who or what you are.

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT FOUR

-

ACT FIVE

INT. DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION ROOM - DAY

James is standing at the front of the class, all of the students behind computers.

JAMES
Now that all of you have turned in your projects, you and your partner will try to combine your remixes to make an epic collab of your song. Also, if you'd like to present your projects, you can.

He waits for someone to respond. No one raises their hand. One person in the back COUGHS.

JAMES (CONT'D)
Nevermind. You have until Friday to produce this track. If you need help, ask me.

Chrissie and Athena immediately turn to each other.

CHRISSIE
This is a new feeling for me.

ATHENA
What?

CHRISSIE
I feel bad for JC.

ATHENA
Then let's do something for him.

CHRISSIE
I'm new to the concept of giving someone something to make them feel better. Athena, you're good at that game. What should we do?

ATHENA
When you feel sad, what always cheers you up?

CHRISSIE
Revenge.

ATHENA
Other than that, Christina.

CHRISSIE
Ice cream cake.

ATHENA
Chrissie, you're a genius! You're great at this game!

CHRISSIE
No, I just want an ice cream cake.

JAMES
Chrissie, Athena. Back to work.

ATHENA
(to James)
Yes, sir.
(to Chrissie)
Get on the computer and order one right now. I'll pick it up at lunch and we can bring it to him.

CHRISSIE
(all in one quick breath)
Who's paying? One, two, three, not it!

ATHENA
Chrissie!

JAMES
Girls.

INT. DANCE ROOM - DAY

The dancers are warming up at the barre, including Lexie. Peter rushes in, clearly pissed off.

PETER
Alright, Alexia, I know what you did.

LEXIE
What?

PETER
Where are my dance shoes?

LEXIE
I gave them back to you, Peter.

PETER
Maybe that time, but what stopped you from coming back and having another go?

LEXIE
Peter, I didn't come back. Check the security footage.

PETER
(beat)
Allez au diable, salope.

Peter walks back into the dressing room angrily. A good beat follows before Lexie speaks again.

LEXIE
Surveille ton langage.

EXT. COURTYARD - DAY

JC is sitting a table away from Markus eating his lunch. Markus looks sadly at JC, then spots Chrissie walking over to his table.

CHRISSIE
(sitting down)
Hey, Markus.

MARKUS
Where's Athena?

ATHENA (O.S)
She's right here.

Athena sits down with a small ice cream cake that says: "GET WELL SOON!"

ATHENA
They didn't have anything else. The rest of them said Happy Birthday or Congrats. Closest thing I could get was Get Well Soon.

MARKUS
Is this for JC?

ATHENA
Short answer: You can have some if he says yes.

MARKUS
What's the long answer?

CHRISSIE
Let's just go! I want cake!

They all take the cake to JC's table.

JC
Hey, guys.
(noticing the cake)
"Get well soon". Do you think I'm sick? Are one of you sick?

CHRISSIE
No. We didn't want to pressure you into telling us your problems, but we want you to know that we're here for you. So, here's an ice cream cake to make you feel better.

JC
Thanks, Chrissie. And you too, Athena and Markus.

INT. WILLIAMSON RESIDENCE - DAY

JC walks into the house. He looks around sadly, reminiscing. His dad walks in.

RYLAND
JC. I have to tell you something.

JC looks at his father in puzzlement.

RYLAND (CONT'D)
It's the reason your mother is in jail.

FADE OUT.

END OF EPISODE

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

434K 20.2K 52
Adele knows she witnessed a murder - what she doesn't know is just how personal it is. ...