Magicks & Mortals: Volume One

By EliBees

Formerly Kova + Rey **Part One COMPLETE** She's a witch, he's a demon. The DiEdaan Coven and the VonUmbra Cl... More

Author's Note
PROLOGUE
1 - Reyna - Hello, Again
2 - Lucian - The 'New' Girl
3 - Reyna - New Friends
Summer Interlude - Sienna & Daivik
4 - October
5 - Right of Passage
6 - Familiar
7 - Bad Grades & Mistakes
8 - A Familiar's Duty
9 - Friends, again?
11- Demon Cubes
12 - What are you?
13 - Troubled Feelings
14 - Apologies & Parasites
15 - Kova Meets His Mate
16 - VonUmbra Celebration Pt 1
17 - VonUmbra Celebration Pt 2
18 - Stupid, Delicious, Demon Liquor
19 - A Proper Change
20 - Autuwan
21 - Something Sinister Brews
22 - The Test
23 - A Duty to Protect
24 - Unicorn Parties & Hangover Stories
25 - Mortal Tours
26 - The Ball Pt. 1
27 - The Ball Pt 2
28 - The Ball Pt 3
29 - Vega DiValis
30 - Aftermath
31 - Servitiums Awaken
Announcement - Update

10- Teach Me How to Witch

1.1K 98 47
By EliBees

*Reyna*

When they returned to the academy, Reyna was a bit nervous to see Lucian. She knows they spent the weekend together getting to know each other again. It was great and so easy to fall back into being friends, but that was in private. He might have said he doesn't care about the society but it will be a test to see if he was being honest.

"Reyna!" She heard Elowen call to her as she ran down the hall and crushed her with a hug.

"Are you alright? We were all so worried about you!" She exclaimed, pulling away from her to look her over.

"Yeah I'm fine." She smiled.

"What the hell happened? Kyrell said Lucian was the one that stopped Thane."

"Yeah and he basically kidnapped you. What the hell was that about?" Kyrell asked joining them in the hall.

Reyna blushed nodding her head, "He didn't kidnap me. He was doing his duty."

Elowen's eyes grew wide, "I *knew* it, she whispered, "Lucian is your familiar isn't he?"

Kyrell coughed put a laugh, "You have got to be kidding me."

"Is that going to be a problem?" Lucian growled as he stood behind Reyna, towering over her. Elowen and Kyrell slowly shook their heads.

"Stop scaring my friends." Reyna laughed, tilting her head back to look up at him.

He blushed slightly, clearing his throat and he looked back at Elowen and Kyrell, "Sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out."

"N-no, I knew there was something odd about you two, but how is a demon your familiar?" Elowen asked and they shrugged.

Reyna sighed, "We haven't figured that out yet."  

Elowen shook her head,"You're a powerful witch to call a demon, but honestly I'd expect nothing less from a DiEdaan." She smiled.

"So it's true," Lucy smirked, "Lucian is the familiar to a DiEdaan. You and your clan are weak to allow this." She spat as the rest of the demon clique laughed around them. All but Thane, who hung his head in shame behind them.

Reyna's lips curled into a snarl and the flame inside of her sparked to life. She doesn't like them making fun of him. She let out a low growl, her eyes becoming opaque orbs of violet, "He's not weak."

*Lucian*

Lucian felt her power crackling through his veins. She may not be aware of it, but something is awake inside of her. She's acting out of primal instinct, and this energy is not her witch. He grabbed her arm tight to calm her before she lashed out at Lucy.

Rey, relax. It's not worth it. They're not my friends. He growled through their mental path. 

She sighed her eyes going back to normal, *I know, but I don't like them picking on you.* She grumbled and he chuckled. She is protective like a true mate.

"Aw look he stopped her, afraid we'll tear her apart again?" Nyx laughed and it was Lucian's turn to growl, his eyes deepening to black, his demon itching to rise. No one threatens his witch or his mate.

*Kova...stop, don't let them get to you.* She said gripping his arm, digging her nails into his skin to stop him from changing.

*She threatened you.* He growled.

*Let it go, let's not start a fight.* She growled back at him.

"Shut up, leave them alone. Lucian made his choice." Thane grumbled walking away from them.

"This isn't over." Nyx smirked glaring at Lucian as she and Lucy followed after Thane with the rest of the demon clique.

Elowen and Kyrell looked between Reyna and Lucian as he slowly calmed down, his eyes returning to crimson.

"Um the connection is strong between you two." Kyrell laughed as Elowen nodded.

"You really are her familiar, I....had a hard time believing it." She breathed. 

Reyna unclenched her hand from Lucian's arm. Her freckles shimmering over her cheeks, "That's not something I'd lie about Elowen."

"True, are you alright, Lucian?" She asked noticing he kept his eyes on the demons until they were out of sight. He turned his gaze back to them and smiled.

"Yeah I'm fine, I'm still getting used to this."

"You think? You two might want to work on that or this school might be the start of another war." Kyrell laughed making them blush.

"You're right Kyrell, we'll get it together." Lucian laughed as they walked down the corridor to their first class. Lucian looked down at Reyna's starlight head, a blush burning over his cheeks. It took a bit of will power not to leaned down and smell her hair and let her intoxicating scent wash over him. He looked away from her and shook his head. He really needs to keep his demon in check around her.

*Lucian*

Lucian wasn't surprised that the Demon Society immediately shunned him from their group and refused to talk to her. What did surprise him were the other demons at the academy who were were against the society but were too afraid to speak out against it until he left. He could care less about the other demons shunning him,  it was refreshing for him to get to know other creatures and he liked it.

Reyna was so good at bringing everyone together and he realized this is why DiEdaans were trusted to lead the creatures. While demons generally stuck to their own kind. He found that the stronger his bond became with Reyna, the more connected he felt to the creatures around them. Reyna explained that it is one of the DiEdaan's sub-powers.

He followed her into the forests near the academy one night under a full moon. They've become accustomed to doing this during full moons, Reyna told him it was the best time to teach him spells and to understand the ways of her coven, since being her familiar essentially made him a witch.

Once they walked into their usual clearing, Lucian began putting a protection spell around them; Reyna followed behind him pushing at the weave of energy, making sure the barrier was strong.

"How did I do, sensei?" He asked and she laughed nodding her head.

"Very well, little witch," she smiled, "now you can make the conjuring circle." She said as his eyes grew wide.

"But you've never let me draw the circle." 

"I know, but I think you're ready. You've watched me do it enough times now." She said forming a stick in her hand. He took it from her, taking a deep breath as he stared at the fresh soil in front of them.

"Ok, but whatever we conjure tonight might not come out right." He laughed as he began drawing the circle in the soil. 

"I don't think we'll have any problems conjuring anything tonight. That circle is perfect." She smiled and he blushed setting the stick down and standing up.

"Well I do have a good teacher, so what are we conjuring tonight?" 

"Hmm, you're getting really good at conjuring so I think we'll try something a bit harder tonight. I'd like you to conjure the spirit of your grandfather, Daemon VonUmbra." She said and his heart thumped in his chest. He can't call his grandfather, what would he say to him?

He's watched Reyna call Rhiannon a few times and they have such a great relationship with each other, she was so proud of her for calling a demon, especially a VonUmbra to be her familiar. Will his grandfather feel the same way?

"Rey, I don't know if I can do that." He said shaking his head and she placed her hand on his arm.

"You can do it, I'll be right here helping you channel just like you do with me."

"It's not that, I just don't know if he'll be....proud of me. I haven't been the best VonUmbra since he passed away." He said and Reyna nodded her head.

"That's why I picked him, Kova. Being a witch, especially a DiEdaan, means we have to accept ourselves, faults and all, in order to accept the power from the universe within us. The only way you'll know how your grandfather feels, is if you conjure him." She explained and he sighed nodding his head.

"Okay, alright. I'll try."

He and Reyna stood in front of the circle he created, Reyna took his hand and nodded to him. He took a deep breath and began chanting the spell to conjure the spirits. The moon seemed to grow even brighter and the circle before them began to glow.

Reyna began to chant the spell with him, helping to channel his power and guide Daemon to them. Slowly a pair of black horns began to emerge from the circle. Daemon's enormous demon form emerged from the circle before them.

"Lucian! I've been waiting for you to conjure your old grandpa. What took you so long?" Daemon smiled down at the young demon.

"I haven't been ready to face you, but Reyna seems to think I am." He said looking down at his feet afraid to meet his eyes. Daemon nodded and smiled at Reyna next to him.

"Rhiannon told me you have been chosen to be a familiar but she wouldn't tell me who the lucky witch was and now it all makes sense." He smiled and Reyna bowed her head.

"It's so good to see you again, Daemon." She smiled.

"And you too little Reyna," he smiled turning back to Lucian, "now look at me Lucian, why would you be afraid to see me?" Daemon asked as he slowly lifted his eyes to look at his grandfather. He let his demon form burst through and Daemon smiled even brighter.

"I...I haven't been the best VonUmbra, I'm not as strong as you were." He said and Daemon laughed shaking his head.

"But look at you, you've grown so much, it's like looking in a mirror," he smiled, "you are strong, you must be if a DiEdaan has chosen you as her familiar." He said making him blush.

"But I've been so selfish, I started to turn my back on everything you and father taught me. I nearly got Reyna killed, all for my reputation." He said and Daemon smiled nodding his head.

"Being strong and being a VonUmbra doesn't mean you have to be perfect. You haven't turned your back on what we've taught you and you're staying true to your familiar oath. I'm so proud of you, Lucian." Daemon clasping his hands on his neck.

Lucian let out a choked laugh tears coming to his eyes, "Thank you, Grandpa." He never thought he'd hear Daemon's voice again or hear him say he was proud of him.

"How could I not be proud of you?" He said looking at them both, "It's not easy the path you two have before you, a witch and a demon have never been familiars. While our clan and coven are close there will be creatures, demons and mortals who won't understand what you are to each other." He explained and placed his large demon hands over their joined ones, "I need to tell you a story about the very first creatures." He sighed and a hand appeared out of a puff of starlight and smacked him in the back of the head.

"Daemon! You will tell them nothing!" Rhiannon yelled as she appeared above him in a cloud of starlight, her violet eyes glaring dangerously at him.

"Aww but they're ready to hear it, Rhia!" Daemon huffed holding the back of his head.

"They are ready but it's not for us to tell and there are too many eyes in these forests. You know this!" Rhiannon huffed back at him her hands on her hips as she glared angrily up at him. While Reyna and Lucian laughed at their grandparents.

"It's good to know nothing has changed between you two." Reyna laughed and they looked at them and smiled.

"Yes we still annoy each other in the afterlife." Daemon said rolling his eyes. Rhiannon punched him in the side and he laughed.

"What story are we ready to hear?" Lucian asked. He wondered if this story will help him understand why Reyna is his mate. Rhiannon smiled, her starlight hair billowing in a soft air around her.

"It's not safe to talk about that here, there are too many eyes. If you want the answers you seek, you'll find them in the mountains of Autuwan." Rhiannon told them and Daemon sighed.

"Or we could just tell them." He grumbled and she smacked the back of his head again.

"That's cheating Daemon, every future VonUmbra Patriarch and DiEdaan Matriarch has traveled to this mountain. Lucian and Reyna are no different." She glared at him again.

"We will go to Autuwan, grandmother." Reyna laughed.

"Of course you will, we must go now. Watch yourselves in these forests. The academy isn't always the safest place to be."

"Take care of each other." Daemon smiled at them and his eyes twinkled with mischief as he looked at Lucian.

"Don't be afraid to conjure me again if you have questions about your mate, Lucian." Daemon grinned causing Lucian to blush a deep shade of crimson. Does his grandfather know who his mate is?

"I...I will." He stuttered and Rhiannon shook her head.

"We love you both, but I have to take this slick ass demon back to the afterlife before he gets us both in trouble, again." She laughed slipping her arm through his and they disappeared through the circle. Lucian and Reyna chanted a spell to close the door to the afterlife.

*Reyna*

"I told you, you were ready!" Reyna smiled, squeezing his hand. She can't believe they were able to hold Daemon on this plain for so long. Conjuring a demon like Daemon takes a lot of energy for both of them and they've done it seamlessly.

"Thank you for believing in me, I'm still amazed my grandpa is proud of me. I was waiting for a lecture from him." He laughed and Reyna shook her head.

"I felt the same way when I first conjured my grandma. It was after we lost a lot of our coven trying to save me and I thought she'd be so disappointed that I let our coven down, but she understood and we've been closer ever since." She shrugged and Lucian frowned.

"What did Rhiannon mean that the forests and the academy isn't safe?" He asked.

"My grandma has always been wary about any place that isn't the DiEdaan or VonUmbra estate. She never liked to stay outside of either estate for too long." She said shaking her head.

"Yeah but I can't help feeling that she might be right, I'm positive someone is always following us out here."

"You're probably right, but that's why we have a protection weave around us. The students are still curious about me and what my coven's rituals are." She said and he nodded.

"That's true, I guess it doesn't help that I'm your familiar. I'm sure the Demon Society thinks you've put a spell on me." He said and she laughed.

"The Demon Society is very vain, isn't it?" She laughed, "So what's this about your mate? The way Daemon was talking, it sounds like you already know who it is." 

A blush stained his cheeks and he chuckled softly, "I know who she is." He nodded and quickly bent down to start wiping away the conjuring circle, like she's taught him. She watched him quickly clean up the circle and put the soil back the way it was.

"So...are you going to tell me who she is?" She asked and she can't help the slight pang of jealousy washed over her. She knows he's a VonUmbra and it was only a matter of time before he found a mate, but she feels like she just got him back. She doesn't want to share him with anyone!

"No. I'm not going to tell you who she is. Not until she's ready to be my mate." 

She frowned, "So she doesn't know, how is that possible? I thought demons just know." 

He laughed, standing up, "Like I said, she's not ready to be my mate yet and I'm not telling anyone who she is until she's ready. It wouldn't be fair to her." 

"Alright, fair enough. But I hope you'll tell me who she is when you're ready." She sighed.

"You'll be the first to know, Rey. I promise." He smiled, holding up his fist to her and she beamed bumping his fist.

"Great, let's take this barrier down and go to bed!" She said as she began to undo his protection weave.  A growl ripped from his mouth and he quickled grabbed her arm, pulling her behind him. She frowned at his back, "What's the matter, Kova?" She asked, peeking under his arm.

"I'm surprised you're just now smelling us, Lucian." Nyx smirked as she, Lucy and a few other society demons appeared in front of them.

"Must be his new witch powers, he's losing his demon sense." One of them laughed and it was Reyna's turn to growl at them, trying to push passed Lucian. She doesn't like it when they pick on him, especially since they're putting her coven down.

*Relax*, Rey. We don't know what they're planning. There's two of us and five of them. We don't need a fight. Lucian growled and she huffed.

We can take them, if we need to. She growled back

Lucian chuckled in her mind, You're a fierce DiEdaan and you have no fear like a demon.

A blush burned over her cheeks and the burning flame in the pit of her stomach rose to life again at the sentiment. He's called her fierce and demon-like when they were younger, but hearing him say it now just makes her body ignite with...with something primal.

"Let's see if he has any demon sense left. Do you think you can get out of our puzzles?" Nyx laughed as the five demons circled them holding small golden cubes in their hands.

"Nyx, don't do this. There are five of you." Lucian growled 

"Well you should've thought about the consequences of parading around with your little DiEdaan bitch. You never should've left the society or me!" Nyx roared, throwing the cube into the ground. The others laughing and following suite. The golden cubes glowed and pulsed around them in a wide circle.

"Good luck getting out of here tonight." Lucy laughed as the demons disappeared.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 117 30
**Sequel to Feral** MUST READ FERAL TO UNDERSTAND!! Now that Aiyana has ran away, how will she be able to help her mates? How will she defeat Ro...
2.9K 366 31
**Warning: Erotica, Slow Burn Style** Ion Sinn is a dominant type of vampire. Violet is a spirited human/Fae. They meet and fall in love. However, th...
176K 7.5K 47
She tilts her head slightly to the side. My heart hammering in my chest as her beautiful blue eyes shade over in black. Her tongue slowly running on...
18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...