Clashing

By JaideHarley

"Don't tell me you're not mine, Scarlett. I'm yours and you're mine, sugar. All mine. So go finish your shift... More

Author Note
Chapter 1: Mystery Muscles
Chapter 2: Off-limits
Chapter 4: Clashing
Chapter 5: Distractions

Chapter 3: Sweet as Sugar

54.9K 1.7K 1.2K
By JaideHarley

Scarlett's POV:

The show went well. Really, really well. So well I only came home with one, smaller drawing. Everything else sold. All those boxes. To say I was relieved was an understatement. I'd invested so much into that show and I was terrified but it was perfect and I got a lot of contacts from it. My purse was full of business cards with personal emails and numbers written on the back. It wouldn't be as hard to find my place here as I feared.

I pulled into the alleyway and parked the van, grabbing my suitcase where I stuffed my dress since it now didn't matter if it was wrinkled, and my last drawing. Going through the back, I came around the corner just as Dan was typing into his register.

"Scar," he greeted. "My famous artist."

"Don't get ahead of yourself," I said, smiling.

"And don't undervalue yourself," he countered, giving me a look before handing change to somebody. "Sit down, honey. We should be celebrating. I'll get you a drink and something to eat, you hungry?"

"I'm starved," I admitted, setting my hand on my stomach. "But I desperately need a shower. I'll be fast. Then I'll take you up on that drink. And I could really use one of those really unhealthy burgers you make with all the cheese and bacon."

These burgers would probably cause my death but I didn't care. There was cheese and bacon inside the burger as well as on top. Yeah, heart attack coming, but they still tasted really good.

"Sounds good," he chuckled. "Hey, let me look at the last one you got," he said, nodding to the folder I was holding.

"Sure. Don't get grease on it," I teased, handing over the folder. "I'll be right back."

I hurried upstairs with my suitcase and took the world's fastest shower because I truly was very hungry. I brushed out my hair and decided to let it stay wet, I had no one to impress. I put on the first things I found, some shorts, a v-neck, and sandals so I wouldn't be walking down there barefoot.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cupboard, planning to get a drink of water. I turned the handle and the water came out but I heard a spray coming from somewhere. I frowned and opened up the bottom cupboard and sure enough, it was spraying out of one of the pipes. Shit. I'd have to ask Dan about it. Grabbing a hair-tie on my way out, I bounded down the steps, throwing my hair up in a bun as I went.

"Dan, do you have some tools I can borrow or can you check out my kitchen sink?" I asked when I hit the last step.

"Sure, honey. What's the problem?" He asked, pouring a glass of something and sliding it across the counter.

"I think a pipe is loose or something," I shrugged. "I'd fix it but I don't have any tools with me. If you give it to me I'm sure I can figure it out."

"Well, I can fix it for you, just after closing," Dan argued.

"I can have a look at it, Danny. You shouldn't be on your knees."

Oh no. My heart stopped. I glanced over at Ryker who wasn't even looking in my direction, just looking at Dan.

"Well..." Dan said, looking back at me. "I'd rather it was fixed for her sooner."

"It's okay, I can wa-"

"Tools in the same spot?" Ryker asked, rising from his stool.

"Yep. Scar, will you show him the way? This is Ryker, by the way. Ryker this is Scarlett," Dan introduced. "Ryker helps out a lot around here."

Ryker seemed amused by my inability to think of what to say but Dan hardly noticed, he was too busy with the Sunday night football crowd. Ryker walked right past me and into the back. He returned with a toolbox and gestured for me to go up the stairs.

"I can figure it out," I said, narrowing my eyes, more in an attempt to convince myself I didn't want him.

It especially wasn't a good idea since he seemed to know Dan very well. Dan would lose his shit on me if I hooked up with one of his regulars.

"You don't have to, sugar," he said, heading up the stairs.

Damn him. Damn him and his nice butt I had to stare at as I followed him up.

"Don't call m-"

"Oh, right. I'm sorry. My bad, baby," he said, glancing back and winking before we reached my door.

He leaned back against the wall and waited. I sighed and unlocked the door, walking in and towards the kitchen. Ryker followed after me and set down the tools, turning on the sink. As the sink drained, the spraying started. He crouched down and looked under the sink. I tried very hard not to stare.

He ended up laying on his back and grabbing some tools, his head disappearing under the sink. Without having to worry about him catching me staring, I could more fully appreciate him. The shirt tonight clung to him much like that first night. He must work out a lot because it didn't look like there were any soft parts of him. My eyes went down to where his shirt rode up as he reached under the sink.

My mouth went dry at the sight. I could see some abs. More importantly, I could see a V leading down... I fanned myself, thankful he couldn't see me. My eyes continued drifting down over his jeans, down to his boots. God, if he wasn't the world's most perfect specimen.

"That should do it," he said, sliding out from under the sink and getting to his feet, turning the sink on again.

Much to my dismay, he didn't fail. It didn't spray. He fixed it. He set the tools back in place, giving me another nice view of his butt. He straightened out, setting the toolbox on the counter and crossing his arms, leaning against the counter.

"Anything else need fixing, sugar?" He asked.

"How would you like it if I called you sugar?" I said, scowling.

"Hmm," he hummed, pushing off the counter and walking over to me.

I involuntarily flinched when his hand came up, making him frown. I held my ground as he tried again, tilting my chin up towards him as he stepped forward, much too close. His hot breath hit my lips, making my body spark with awareness.

"I wouldn't mind it, baby. I wouldn't mind it one bit. I like pet names. Why don't you give it a try and see how you like it?" He said, a smirk spreading on his face as his thumb came up, rubbing over my bottom lip.

Oh God. I fought the urge to press my thighs together and swallowed hard.

"You're the worst," I scoffed, somehow finding the strength to back away from him.

"The worst? Really? Come on, Scarlett," he said, dragging out my name. "I just fixed your sink. You're not going to thank me?"

Oh, I could think of a way to thank him. It included very few clothes. No! Bad Scarlett. I didn't respond because I decided it wasn't safe to and instead went out the door. I heard his laugh but ignored it as I went down the stairs, finding Dan at the bar, handing off a drink.

"All good?" Dan asked.

"Yep," I answered, forcing a smile.

"Have a seat. Your burger's almost ready. You want a whiskey?"

"Please," I said, hopping on the bar stool.

"Here's the drawing back. It's really good, Scar. I'm sure someone's gonna snatch it up," he praised.

"Thanks," I said, unable to hold back the smile as he disappeared behind the double doors.

It wouldn't matter what happened in my life, praise from Dan would always mean the world to me. I was lucky that he wasn't stingy with giving it out. Still, I didn't get tired of hearing it. I reached for the drawing but a hand came down on it, stopping me from getting it. Ryker's hand.

"You drew this?" He asked, taking the paper from under my fingers.

"Yes," I said hesitantly, trying to not look at him.

"It's incredible," he commented, holding it up to the light. "I thought maybe Danny talked you up too much, guess I was wrong. I hear you have some celebrating to do, Scarlett."

It took me a moment to compose myself at his compliment. And the way he said my name. God, he had to be doing it on purpose. Unfortunately, I found myself staring at him again. He stared right back, as if he could see right through me. Jackass. I narrowed my eyes and he slid the drawing back to me just before Dan came back out.

"Here's your burger, Scar," Dan said, sliding the plate in front of me before grabbing a glass and pouring some whiskey. "Here's to you, my rising artist," he said, clanking his glass of water with my whiskey.

"Thanks," I giggled, taking a sip of the whiskey before setting it down.

I grabbed the drawing and slid it back into the folder, tucking it next to Dan's register before digging into my burger and pointedly turning my body away from Ryker. He was too distracting. Why was he back in here already?

"Another, Ryker?" Dan called out.

"Thanks," Ryker said, sliding his glass across the bar.

"This one's on the house. Thanks for taking care of that," Dan said.

"Not a problem, Danny," Ryker asked, taking the stool next to mine.

We both sat on the corner so it wasn't as if we were right next to each other but still. I couldn't help but get annoyed. I looked over to find him looking over his shoulder, narrowing his eyes at something in the corner.

"Are you an alcoholic or something?" I blurted out.

Wow. Smooth, Scarlett. Ryker brought his gaze to mine, a frown on his face.

"Are you?" He countered, nodding to my drink.

"No," I said quickly, grabbing a napkin and wiping my face just to be sure.

The burger was messy.

"And what makes you think I am, sugar?" He asked, bringing his glass to his lips.

Damn, I would've liked to be that glass.

"I've barely been here and already seen you in here twice. Plus you seem to lack memory since I remember telling you more than once to not call me that," I scowled.

"Well, you called me an alcoholic. I think it's only fair I get to call you something, Scarlett."

There it was again. He was saying my name different on purpose.

"Do you just like saying my name or what?" I sighed, setting my burger down.

"Yeah, sugar. I like saying your name. You know what I like more? Your reaction to me saying your name," he said, leaning forward on his elbows, watching me.

"I don't react," I scoffed.

Except that was a lie.

"I don't know about that, Scarlett," he teased.

I hated the blush that reached my face. He smirked and snatched my glass, taking a drink from it while maintaining eye contact. He set the glass down and slid it over into my hands. His fingers very intentionally grazed over mine, eliciting goosebumps. He had nice, long fingers...

"You have good taste," he complimented, holding up his glass. "Wanna try mine?"

I didn't know what to say. I stared at him for a minute and he stared back. That was until a girl came over, setting her hand on his arm and sparking a stupid bout of jealousy. It was Tammy, the waitress here. She whispered something to him and he nodded but didn't look away from me.

She stepped around me and everything happened quickly. Some guy came up behind Tammy, his hand going for her ass. Ryker was faster. He grabbed the man's wrist and slammed the guy's head into the bar, twisting his arm behind his back.

"You fucking try to touch her again, you lose your fucking hand. You understand?" Ryker growled, twisting the guy's arm further.

My eyes widened. Gone was the playful Ryker from a moment ago. This was a different one and he was pissed. I felt myself get even more turned on. I was feeling jealous when she really just went to him for protection. I wondered how many times he stood up for her.

The guy finally whimpered and nodded. Ryker let him go, shoving him away from the bar.

"Get the fuck out of here," he said, pointing to the door.

The guy took a step towards him but all the men that stood with Ryker before, when he whistled, stood all at once, making the guy stumble back until he was out of the bar. Ryker took his seat again and Tammy leaned over the bar.

"Thank you," she breathed. "Sorry. I thought I could handle him then-"

"Don't apologize for his shitty behavior, Tammy. You can always come to me."

"Thanks, Ryker," she beamed, patting his hand and getting back to work.

"Did we get another asshole?" Dan asked, stepping through the doors. "I heard a ruckus."

"There are no shortage of drunk assholes, Danny," Ryker responded, drinking the last of his scotch.

"Who?" Dan asked, looking at me nervously.

"She wasn't the target, Danny, don't worry. He's gone."

"Oh. I'll check on Tammy. Sorry, sweetie. I'll come back and chat with you in a minute," Dan said, patting my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it. You're busy. I'm good," I assured him.

He smiled and walked off, over towards Tammy. I stared at my burger as I processed what just happened. Dammit. Ryker was sexy and annoying but also kind of a sweetie? That wasn't good. That wasn't good at all. Soft heart under rough exterior? That was a deadly combination. I couldn't think of something to say so I did what I did best, avoided it completely.

"You don't call Tammy sugar," I scowled, glaring at him and crossing my arms.

"No, Scarlett. You're the only one getting that honor," he said, back to his playfulness.

"Why?" I said, throwing my hands up in exasperation.

"Because, sugar," he leaned forward, his lips quirking into a half-smile that sent tingles straight between my thighs. "You have such a sweet voice. Sweetest I ever heard. I can't help but wonder, do you taste as sweet as you sound?"

Oh my God. He did not just say that. I swallowed hard and he just stared at me, like he was waiting for an answer.

"Should I find out?" He added, leaning closer.

Oh God. My eyes went to his lips. Damn, they looked kissable. I looked up and saw him staring at my lips before his eyes came back to mine. His hand reached under the bar and grazed my knee. I closed my eyes and focused on breathing. His hand left and when I opened my eyes, his demeanor changed. He leaned back, looking away and taking another drink. I frowned at the change until I noticed Dan returning.

Ah, so he was also aware it would be a problem. Interesting.

"How's the burger, Scar?" Dan asked, refilling Ryker's drink without asking and adding more to mine.

"It's good. Perfect. Thank you," I said, picking up the burger again.

"So what you have planned next weekend?" Dan asked, wiping down the counter, completely oblivious to my and Ryker's interaction, thank God.

"Nothing," I shrugged, taking a bite of my burger to distract myself.

"My gun show is next weekend," Dan baited.

"Ugh, no. I'm sorry. I love you. But no," I said, shaking my head.

"I wasn't going to ask you, honey," he chuckled. "I know you don't want to go. I was wondering if you could help out at the bar since I'll be gone."

"Oh," I perked up. "Yes, of course. No problem."

"Great. I worked out a schedule with Tammy, I'll go over it with you when you're done," he said, nodding to the burger. "Ryker, will you and the boys be around to keep an eye on Scarlett?"

"Oh my God," I huffed. "Stop it. I don't need someone watching after me. I'm a big girl."

Dan gave me a look and Ryker look amused.

"You know we will be, Danny. We're here every weekend."

"Thanks," Dan grinned before looking at me guiltily. "Don't look at me like that, Scar. I know you can handle yourself but drunk people get out of hand sometimes. Nothing wrong with someone watching your back," he said, walking off to serve another person.

I sighed and sent a glare to Ryker who just had a growing smirk. He glanced over at Dan then leaned over the counter towards me, whispering low enough Dan wouldn't hear.

"Don't worry, sugar. I won't cramp your style. I'll just be watching your back and everything attached to it."

A/N:

Hii! I hope you liked this chapter :)

Leave me a comment to let me know what you think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...