Behind The Gate of Lakeview

By Rihanna_Adedeji

Jadeshola Badmus is not your regular female lead. She's outspoken, Brilliant, Sassy, beautiful, intelligent... More

Behind The Gate Of Lakeview
~one~
~Two~
~Three~
~Four~
~Five~
~Six~
~Seven~
~Eight~
~Nine~
~Ten~
~Eleven~
~Tweleve~
~Thirteen~
~Fourteen~
~Fourteen~ 2
~Fifteen~
~Sixteen~
~Seventeen~
~Eighteen~
~Nineteen~
~Twenty~
~Twenty One~
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
~Twenty Four~
~Twenty Five~
~Twenty Six~
~Twenty Seven~
~Twenty Eight~
~Twenty Nine~
~Thirty~
~Thirty One~
~Thirty Two~
~Thirty Three~
~Thirty Four~
~Thirty Five~
~Thirty Seven~
Meet The Characters 💖
~Thirty Eight~
~Thirty Nine~
~Forty~
~Forty One~
~Forty Two~
~Forty Three~
~Forty Four~
~Forty Five~
~Forty Six~
~Forty Seven~
~Forty Eight~
~Forty Nine~
~Fifty~
Fifty One
~Fifty Two~
~Fifty Three~
~Fifty Four~
~Fifty Five~
~Fifty Six~
Questions and Answers

~Thirty Six~

3.3K 780 224
By Rihanna_Adedeji

#unedited

~Uthman~

These memories will stay with me forever. Jade, standing beside me, facing me and laughing at nothing and everything that I was saying.

I was still thinking about her when I got home. I had completely forgotten about the headache I left at home until I walked in to see suitcases and bags at the front door. Moji was sitting on the floor, crying. She stood up and hugged me.

'I don't want to go.'

She cried, holding unto me. I bent to her level and put my arms around her, trying to soothe her. Aunty Wura came out then. She appeared startled to see me. Maybe she was planning on leaving when I wasn't there but now that I've arrived, it must be making things harder.

Maybe she feels guilty about wanting to leave you behind.

'We were waiting for you. I packed some of your clothes. We'd come back for the rest lather.'

I released Moji slowly and stood up, my ears failing to pick up what she just said and my brain refusing to process it.

'What? Where are we going?'

'To my parent's house for now. Let's go. She started dragging one of the bags to her car. Moji grabbed my right leg and moved behind me.

Wait? She's moving out of my father's house and she wants me to follow her, them. Wow.

'I don't think I can follow you.'

She stopped and turned to me.

'What? Uthman, I can't leave you alone here. You need me, you need Moji.' Then she added 'we need you too.'

I heaved a sigh.

'I can't go with you. He is my father, I can't just leave him.'

'Uthman, he never acted like a father to you. How would you survive with him in the house?'

Then don't go. Please, stay, don't go. Please. But I did not say any of this. I only shook my head slowly.

'I can't abandon him like this.'

I can't imagine him coming back to an empty house. I can't do that to him. Mom heaved a sigh and moved closer to me.

'Uthman, I can't leave you here alone.'

I pulled Moji in front behind me.

'You should go now, he might come back anytime soon.'

Moji burst into fresh tears and I picked her up. Mom carried her bags and dropped them in the boot.

'Don't worry Moji, I'll come and see you very soon.'

I said as I placed her on the backseat. She did not let go of my hand.

'I don't want to leave you. Please. Let me stay.'

I smiled even though I was starting to feel the tears in my eyes.

'Moji, we're not separating. Just see it as taking a break. You guys will move in later.'

She let go of my hands and I turned away from her, not wanting her to see my tears. The gateman and the driver were staring at us in bewilderment.

'Adamu, please open the gate.'

Mom said as soon as she entered the car.

'Aah, Aah. Madam, Abeg take am easy. Make Oga come first.'

'Open the Gate, my friend.'

He jumped at the intensity of her voice and he exchanged a glance with the driver before he opened the gate. She zoomed off without a backward glance.

'Uthman, wetin happen? Why Madam dey pack comot?'

I ignored him as I walked back to the main house. Hollowness greeted me. I saw our family picture on the wall above the TV, Dad wasn't there. He was never there. It was just me, Moji, and Mom. Look at where your foolhardiness had brought us. You lost a wife and I lost a mother. I was just a child then and I even survived better than you. I climbed the stairs and entered my room. I managed to take off my school uniform before laying on my bed.

I want this to be a nightmare so badly.

*********

~Jade~

Uthman wasn't in school the next day. That was a first. Since SS1, I did not remember him missing school until now. What could have happened?

'What was the last thing I said, Jadeshola?'

Ehn. I stared at the Literature teacher, Ms. Adegoke. I cleared my throat and then cleared it again. The truth was I don't know. I don't even know the topic we were revising.

'This is not the time to start losing focus in class, you guys have less than three months to the start of your external exams.'

She said and dismissed me. I sat down and tried to listen but my mind kept straying. Only God knows what could be wrong. I pray he is fine sha.

During the lunch break, I went to find Akin. I had not spoken a word to him since yesterday. I was still pissed at him for reading that stupid damned letter to Uthman.

'Hey. How're you?'

I asked him once I saw him. He was in the Arts Studio, drawing as usual. He looked stunned to see me and he glanced behind him, he looked at him when he saw that he was the only one in the studio.

'Me?'

He asked, pointing his index finger at himself. I rolled my eyes. No, your invisible twin sister.

'Of course, is there someone else here?'

'Aah, you've been ignoring me since morning so I don't see why you are talking to me now.'

'What you did warranted my anger.'

He shrugged. 'I only read an innocent letter.'

I shrugged and sat down on the stool beside him.

'Why is Uthman not in School?'

He stopped painting, turn to stare at him, and burst into laughter, shaking his head in the process.

'The both of you, ehn. I don't understand you guys again.'

I heaved a sigh and rolled my eyes.

'Will you answer him or should I go and ask Daniel?'

'Michelle is the only one that knows why he is not in school.'

Hmm? I stared at him, bewildered. He burst into laughter again.

'You should have seen your expression just now. God! What a time to be alive!'

If I should kill Akin in this studio right now, nobody would know. Just do it. I smacked the back of his head.

'What? Stop hitting people.'

'You're Akin and not people so tell me, why is he not in school?'

'Dan and I just got in touch with him some minutes ago. He told us to come over after school so we'd know what's wrong with him when we get there.'

Oh.

'How did he sound when you guys spoke? Normal? Sick? Odd?'

'Wow, just wow. Never knew a day like this would come. You're worrying over Uthman. Do you like him that much?'

I rolled my ears and bit my lower lips to stop the words brewing in my throat. Instead, I just smiled sweetly.

'Just answer my question, hmm?'

He ignored my question and continued to shade whatever it is that he was drawing. I bit my lower lips again. God knows I was nearing desperation.

'Okay Okay. Suit yourself then.'

I stood up from the stool and turned to leave.

'He sounded normal oo. Sha let me tell you before you go and plan my burial.'

I smiled before turning back.

'Well, thanks but no thanks

I heard him chuckle lightly as I walked out of the studio. Akin is an idiot. No doubt about that.

I saw Michelle and her gang walking towards me, towards the Arts Studio once I got outside. She bumped into me and she dusted the side of her uniform that touched me with a look of disgust on her face.

Ignore her Jade. She's not worth it.

And that's what I did.

*******

Lather that night, I was in my room reading my notes all the while still thinking of Uthman. I had dropped a message for him on Whatsapp but he was yet to reply. Even Akin was not replying to the messages I sent to him. Who knows if that one was ignoring my messages on purpose?

I heard voices downstairs and I stood up. That means Saheed or Dad was home or the both of them. I went downstairs and they were in the sitting room.

'Ekaabo Sir. I didn't know you were back.'

Dad looked up from the phone he was pressing.

'Jadeshola. How're you? We did not know you were still up.'

I glanced up at the wall clock. It was just 10 PM.

'Aah, Dad. Why would I be asleep by this time? I was reading actually.'

Lie lie lie. Eeeh. You that you were thinking of boy.

Shut up.

'Good. Good of you. Make us proud in your upcoming exams oo.'

I smiled. 'As always.'

I looked around the sitting room briefly and my eyes fell on the portrait of Zee and me. Even just looking at her picture hurts. God knows where she is and what she is doing. I looked away only to see Saheed looking at me. I looked away from him.

'Are you okay, Jadeshola?'

I glanced at him before standing up from the chair I was sitting on.

'Of course Yes. Is there a reason why I should not be okay?'

'You know what I mean.'

He replied, his gaze intent on my face.'

I started walking towards my room.

'No, I don't.'

I heard him stand up and he started walking towards me. I stopped by the stairs

'I'm talking about Zainab. You've been repressing your thoughts about her and you should know more than anyone else how much harm that is going to do to your health.'

'I don't want to talk about Zainab please.'

I don't want to talk about Zainab, please.

Saheed folded his arms around his chest while I moved closer to lean on the rails. My legs were threatening to fail me.

'Of course, you don't. You don't want to think about her, you don't want to talk about her till you break down finally, abi?'

God please, No. Not today.

'Do you realize how many days have passed since she left? I've not heard you say her name until now. You are not even asking about her.'

'Because I don't want to. Don't you get it? I don't want to think or talk or know or ask about her. She left. It's a free world. She is 18, she is free to do whatever she wants. She should be responsible for her actions.'

I wipe away the tears that were now rolling down my cheeks.

'She never thought about me. About my feelings. I don't even know how I'm getting by. It's just so hard to live without her.'

Saheed moved closer and wrapped his arms around me. The tears were falling on their own accord now. I made no move to stop them.'

'Let it all out, Jade. You'll feel better afterward.'

And I did.

********

I woke up with a nagging headache the next morning. The sun streaking into my room made me jump up from my bed and I subconsciously shouted aah because of the intensity of the pain in my head. I glanced at the clock. The time was 10:30 am.

Oh. Look who overslept. So I would miss school today. Nah, you already missed it. Someone knocked on my door and before I could answer, the person opened the door.

'Zee, how many times have I told you not to bother knocking when you won't even wait for me.......'

The words died in my throat as mom entered the room.

Zee is no longer here. Let that sink in.

I forced a smile at mom as she walked further into the room and sat on my bed. It was only when she placed a tray on the bed that I realized she was carrying something.

'Ekaaro Ma' (Good morning ma)

'Kaaro Oko mi. How do you feel now?'

'Better Ma.'

'Oloun seun (Thank God). Oya, take small pap so you would be able to take your drugs.'

Drugs ke.

'But I'm okay.'

She smiled as she removed the cover from the cup.

'of course, you are. Your brother prescribed some drugs for you. Oya.'

She did not leave until I swallowed all the stupid pills.

*********

~Uthman~

'Are you guys doing a competition of who can stay away from school better?'

Akin asked me the next day in school. It was the fourth period and it was a free period. Jade was not in school. We were both outside our class

'She did not tell you she was not going to come to school today?'

I asked and he shook his head.

'And she was fine yesterday?'

'She was very fine yesterday because she smacked the back of my head.'

'You must have deserved it.'

I replied and he scowled.

'Just look at the both of you. You both are hopeless.'

'So what do you think might be wrong?'

'Maybe she felt it was not worth coming to school since you might not come.'

He replied and before I could stop myself, I smacked him at the back of his head.

'Aaaaaaah'

He shouted and touched his head.

'Shey you guys intend on killing me ni? Well, I know one thing you guys have in common now. It's violence.'

'Try thinking twice before talking and we sure won't hit you.'

He chuckled and crossed his arms over his chest.

'We? We? We as in you and Jade or you and Akin?'

He asked, his eyes twinkling with mischief and amusement. I hissed.

'Have you tried calling her?'

I asked instead and he shrugged.

'Call her yourself or are you not with your phone? I'm done with being the unpaid middleman.'

'You guys are always leaving me out these days. What exactly are you guys talking about that you don't need Dan's opinion on?'

We both turned to see Dan walking towards us. He got to where we stood and leaned on the handrail.

'That's because all we talk about these days is Jade and Uthman's obsession with her or wait'

He turned to look at me.

'Is it her lips that you're obsessed with?'

I so badly want to smack the back of his head again but I kept it in.

'And you don't seem to be a fan of Uthman liking her so....'

He shrugged and Dan turned to look at me.

'It's just so hard to believe that Uthman likes Jade. I mean, I never saw that coming.'

'Well, life happens and love happened. It's not like we get to choose who we get to like.'

Akin replied him.

'So, you confessed your feelings to her yet?'

Dan asked and before I could answer, Akin beat me to it.

'He would have if he could have stopped staring at her lips for a second.'

He and Dan burst into laughter and I smacked the back of his head. That still did not stop him from laughing.

'Just kiss her then, kiss her then ask her. If she was planning on saying No before, trust me, she wouldn't be able to say no. Heck! She wouldn't even be able to think about anything after the kiss.'

Trust Dan to be the crazy one.

'But that is of you know how to kiss oo. Koma lo di globe.' (so that it won't end in trouble)

He continued and I straightened.

'You know it's going to be your first kiss, just ask us. We'd guide you.'

Akin said and the both of them burst into laughter.

'I'm not doing this with you guys.'

I turned and started to walk away amidst their crazy laughter.

**********
Series of family meetings after mom left with Moji. It's been four days after they left and they've done like three family meetings. I don't even know why the families were getting involved. Are they going to beg her to stay? I was in my room, trying to read my chemistry textbook and I was hearing noises from the sitting room. Raised voices. A third family meeting and they were nowhere near resolving the fight. That is if the fight could be resolved.

I picked my phone like a hundred times expecting a reply from Jade. I'd dropped like 10 messages for her when she skipped school on Friday and she was yet to reply to any of them. All her calls were even going to voice mail. Good! Akin has no tangible information except to joke around and to be the jackass that he is.

Someone knocked on my door and mom entered. She closed the door and leaned against it.

'Hey Uthman, how are you?'

She clamped her hands together and smiled nervously. She looked smaller than her 32 years.

'Good evening Mom. How is Moji?'

'She is fine. She asked of you. She wanted to come but......'

She trailed off and I nodded. We fell into an awkward silence.

'So, have you eaten? I hope you're not starving yourself?'

I stared at her, wondering where she was going with all her pointless questions.

'Why are you asking? You are the one who left.'

Her shoulders slumped in defeat as she took a step closer to my study desk.

'Uthman, I don't want you to hate me. I'm doing all I c...'

'Mothers care about their children more than that.'

She got to me and placed her hands on my shoulder.

'Trust me, I don't want this to. I don't want you and Mojito to deal with a broken family but it's not easy for them. It's too suffocating.'

'Then why did you marry him in the first place?'

Her hands dropped from my shoulders and she moved back.

'You know what? I should go.'

She opened the door and stepped out but not before saying.

'Don't skip your meals and well, I don't need to tell you but study hard.'

She stepped out and closed the door gently behind her. I facepalmed myself. I knew I had overstepped my boundaries by asking her that story. I knew their marriage was more like a marriage of convenience, an arranged marriage, and still, I had to open my mouth like an idiot and ask a stupid question again.

You missing Jade is harming your brain.

Thinking about her. I unlocked my phone and dialed her number again. It was switched off.

Could it just be tomorrow already?

*********
~Jade~

'Wow, our First Lady is finally back. Welcome back.'

Akin said when he saw me at the school's garage and he did a mock bow.

'Shut up. I missed School for just a day.'

'Trust me, it felt like 10 days to someone.'

I rolled my eyes and we started walking towards the class area together.

'So, how are you now? You guys heard from Zee yet?

'I'm fine and no, we haven't heard from Zee.'

He said nothing as we climbed the stairs to our block. He pulled me to the corridor. He made me stand directly in front of him so he'd look at me directly in the eyes.

'Are you sure you're fine?'

I smiled and attempted to move out of his grasp. He held on

'Of course, I'm fine.'

'Come on Jade.'

I heaved a sigh.

'Okay, I'm not fine. I'm trying to be fine.'

I could feel the tears in my eyes and I took calming breaths to still myself.

'Besides, I don't want to be a cry baby because my sister left home.'

He smiled and pulled me closer, hugging me.

'It's okay to be a crybaby too.'

I smiled and pulled back.

'Not me though.'

'Where is Uthman? I've missed him. It's been four days, five if we count Wednesday.'

Akin chuckled, shaking his head and he pointed to my back.

'That's him behind you. He heard you so you don't need to tell him again but then, you might also want to see his expression when you tell him again.'

What? Ground please, open up and swallow me. Akin started to walk away and I grabbed his shirt, shaking my head. He looked back and smiled.

'Don't be shy naa

And he freed my hand from his shirt and walked away. I clamped my hands together. Only God knows why I was this nervous.

Going

Oh, there goes the bell. Thank God. I started to walk away but Uthman pulled me, dragging us further into the corridor. I looked up at him. He was smiling.

God! Please don't smile like that.

'Hey, Good morning.'

Why was I sounding like that? God.

'Good morning.'

'That was the bell for assembly earlier. We should go before it is late.'

I started to walk away and he grabbed my hands pulling me towards him. He was standing directly in front of me and I avoided looking at him.

'We're already setting the pace for being the worst senior prefects in the history of Lakeview. We might as well get serious with it.'

I heaved a sigh and looked up at him, ever so briefly. We were standing too close, so close and my gaze dropped to his lips. I looked away immediately and moved back, my back pressing against the wall.

'Why are you this nervous?'

He asked and I forced a smile.

'No, I'm not.'

He smiled.

'If you say so. So you said you missed me earlier, right?'

What was he saying? I cleared my throat.

'Could you please move away from a little?'

He moved even closer. I kept my eyes on my shoe.

'Why?'

I breathed in.

Breath in, breath out.

'I can't concentrate with this little space in between us.'

He did nothing for a while. I started counting 1, 2, 3, 4. I counted to ten when he finally moved back. I heaved a sigh and looked up, offering a tight smile. I tucked in a loose braid behind my ears.

'So, you were saying....'

I was cut off when he moved towards me again and he hugged me.

Hmmm. His hands moved to my back, pressing my body firmly to his. My hands laid limply by my side. I did not trust myself to move, to do anything. I did not trust the butterflies in my stomach and the hammering in my heart and the blood pounding in my ears.

'I missed you too. A whole lot.

I hugged him back.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Okay, who thinks Uthman's parents will resolve?

Okay, you guys probably don't want to talk about that but about Jade and Uthman and what happened at the end of the chapter. Well, smiles. Yes, they hugged and No, they did not kiss but they hugged and that's like something, like everything.

And while some of you are thinking about why they did not kiss, sha pray they don't get caught sha. Their mates are in the hall doing morning devotion and they are hugging. Aanu won se mi (I pity them).

Okay, let's look on the brighter side. Smile again. They'll kuku kiss someday soon so please guys, don't kill me oo.

Someone else suggested another name for our fav couple #jaduth. Thanks, mubbykee for the lovely name. so we have two names like that #uthade and #jaduth. If you have other suggestions, kindly let us know.

And till Monday, hopefully.

Till then.

Don't forget to click on the start button below.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.9K 2.3K 13
THIS IS A BOOK FOR YOUNG ADULTS Young and innocent, Enitan Hassan struggles between family problems and high school competition with her best friend...
403K 14.1K 52
(Currently editing/rewriting) A story of a love that is out of this world! A story between Mason and Amira who met and fell in love in grade 12. They...
732K 19.7K 72
Ever since Jaylen was younger, the only thing in his mind was basketball. Win championships throughout school, then, eventually, get drafted into the...
6.5K 2K 31
Everyone does not have the flawless life we all seem they have, some have obstacles to face, battles to fight and as teenagers, stages to over come...