Quiet Summer

By demuuree

Shizuka Nara (Shikamaru's older sister) was sent on an ANBU mission with her team to help a neighboring natio... More

Arriving Home
Run in with Old Friends
Troublesome
Decision Made
Sensei
Breaking the News
Team Assigned
Meeting The Teams part I
Meeting The Teams part II
Meeting The Teams part III
The Missions
Journey to the Land of Waves
The Assassin of the Mist!
The Forest of Chakra
Battle on the Bridge
The Demon in the Snow
The Chunnin Exams
The Chunnin Exams Begin
The Forest of Death
Narrowing the Field
A Shadow in Darkness
Jiraya Returns
A Flower Full of Hope: Part 1
A Flower Full of Hope : Part 2
The Final Rounds
Zero Motivation

The Evil Hand Revealed

1.2K 34 11
By demuuree

Today was the day before the Chunnin Exams and the situation couldn't have looked more south than as of this very moment. According to Jiraya, Naruto was now able to do a Summoning Jutsu which of course was incredible and all but sadly it seems like Naruto had managed to end up in a hospital bed for overusing his chakra. Today will actually mark the third day he's been in there passed out and with nothing more to do other than wait for him to regain consciousness I'm worried that he might miss the exams. Choji had also managed to wind up in the hospital for eating one too many ribs to which I could only sympathize for especially seeing as he was now prohibited from eating food for a while. Those two now are the reason why I have sent Shikamaru off to the hospital to get me updates. I also have not heard anything at all actually from Kakashi and Sasuke since the day Sasuke's training began which is a little worrisome but knowing Kakashi's tardiness habit brings me a little peace of mind.

     On the stabler end of things, all the other genin including my brother have been able to improve quite a lot during their training. I myself even ended up helping a few of the students during their sessions. For instance, in Shikamaru's case after Asuma had trained him to become more vigilant and strategic I took the opportunity to help him use his terrain to strengthen his shadow possession biding time. Now all I can really do is wish for the best for everyone seeing as they all put in a lot of effort into their training.

"Are you worried?" Kurenai's asked as we both settled down on the empty training grounds. "About which students will be promoted and which won't?"

"I mean I do want all of our remaining students to pass the exam so of course..." I replied back as I laid down in the prickly withered grass. "But I know that only those who can prove themselves will advance which I can't complain about since these exams generally defy the difficulty level of missions you take. Ultimately it can be the difference between life or death if you're not prepared, you know?"

     "Can't argue with that," Kurenai sighed out as she too made herself comfortable alongside me. "Have you heard from Kakashi at all since he began his training with Sasuke?"

     "No, but I can't say I'm surprised about it either," I replied back nonchalantly with my eyes closed trying to prevent the sun from irritating my eyes too much. "He has always been a 'lone wolf' type of person especially when it comes to training."

     "True but if there was anyone he would reach out to you can bet it would be you of course."

     "Why do you say that?" I questioned her as I brought my right hand to rest on my closed eyes creating a comfortable shadow against them.

     "It's always been like that no?" Kurenai continued on. "Even if it's just to check up with one another you both would always find a way to contact each other."

"That's just what friends do no?" I questioned once again confused at what she was hinting at. "Besides things have changed now... I left. Despite what you all said I still left and he was among you that didn't show up to say goodbye- and no I'm not bothered by that anymore I understand, but if he and I were that close a simple goodbye would have been expected no?"

"Again I'm so sorry about that! Don't know if I would ever be able to forgive myself even if you have," Kurenai ashamedly confessed. "But I really do think maybe you should talk to Kakashi about that actually..."

"What do you mean-"

"All I'm saying is that even as the one who has known the stoic man himself the least you were able to make him open up to you more than what he has with the rest of us," Kurenai pestered on interrupting me in a sing-song voice.

"I've never even seen it or thought of it like that to be completely honest," I stated as I sat up a bit to lean back on my elbows giving the laying women beside me a confused look. "Besides don't you think you're reading too much between the line now? I mean I haven't heard from him nor am I able to give you any more information on his whereabouts than what you already know-which is also a big old 'nothing' from my end! I swear this is just like him to do things like this! The least he could have done was inform me that he was going to be gone for several days ugh! For goodness sake he even took Sasuke with him and who knows what they are living off of now!"

"Inform you?" my raven-haired friend teasingly asked as she matched my wavering gaze with her stern one.

"Ugh you know what I mean," I huffed out crossing my hands across the chest stubbornly. "I meant 'us' as in you, me, and the rest of the knuckleheads in the group!"

"Sure whatever you say Shizuka," Kurenai teases ones more as she closed her eyes ones more with a slight smirk playing on her lips. "Whatever you say..."

"I swear you'll be the death of me one of these days," I sighed out defeatedly laying back down.

     'I'm not worried about Kakashi, am I? No no I'm worried about Sasuke! I mean it's not that I don't trust Kakashi with his well-being but why else would I be so upset? Am I worried for them or just mad about his impulsive actions?'
    Sulkily I turned to lay on my side facing away from Kurenai as I tediously picked at the dry welting grass.

—————-
Currently, it was late a night as I stood above the buildings of Konoha. Since the final stage of Chunnin Exams was tomorrow a lot of us Jounin were sent to keep watch for any suspicious activity. Luckily for me, I got the first half of the shift rotation so I was already nearing the end of my shift and was free to go home after.
The breeze that carried the night felt cool against my skin sending shivers up and down my spine while the air itself felt eerie and heavy. The looming darkness that spread far beyond what my eyes could capture brought me an unsettling feeling as I anxiously trailed my eyes over it. I'm not one to be afraid of the dark... it's the unknown that frightens me.
"Hello Shizuka," a familiar voice spoke as they landed beside me.

"Hey Hayate," I answered back looking back towards the short brown haired jounin. "Are you going to be the one to switch out with me?"

"That I am," Hayate calmly confirmed before going into his frequently occurring small coughing fits. Despite his always composed demeanor, the chronic coughing brought a little chaos into his character. "Anything to report so far?"

"No no nothing too out of the ordinary luckily," I reassured bringing my attention back towards the quiet village. "But I will say that this eerie feeling in the air isn't just here on a whim..."

"I feel it too," he agreed as he stood beside me looking out at the empty streets. "We all just gotta be on high alert tonight," he added on as he adjusted his katana strapped on his back.

"How have you and Yūgao been," I began making small talk as I handed him a scroll with the route I've already completed and cleared.

"We are doing just fine I suppose," he responded back with a small smile playing on his lips as he's eyes glanced over the scroll.

Soon that same very smile found it's way onto my lips as I saw the scene fold right in front of me. The way Hayate's usual calm and composed expression changed into one more of admiration and love when talking about the purple-haired Anbu brought me happiness.

"That's great to hear," I wholeheartedly commented wanting to savor this very rare moment of Hayate showing any sort of interest.

"How about yourself? Anyone you've been seeing?"

"No no not me," I affirmed letting out a curt laugh. "I'm still trying to get this whole sensei thing down so that's been occupying most of my life now and days."

"Well if it's worth anything I'd say you've been doing a pretty good job so far with the genin," Hayate reassured me handing me back the scrolls. "Definitely a most promising year compared to others that's for sure."

"Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. The other jounin have done wonders to these kids and the Genin themselves have worked really hard," I replied as I stored back the scrolls in my pouch.

"All I'm saying is don't sell yourself short," Hayate nonchalantly 'cheered' on. "Well, I guess I'll be going now, goodnight Shizuka!"

"Thanks again Hayate and goodnight!"

     Swiftly both of us departed from the rooftop and went our separate ways. After jumping a few more rooftops myself I decided to just walk home the rest of the way ones I got to the better-lit streets. The yellow glow from the street lamps casting a holden beige light into the empty roads. As calmly as I could with my anxious demeanor, I strolled the streets heading towards my home making sure to stay vigilant of my surroundings. I was halfway home when all of a sudden I heard the familiar pitter-patter of paws.

     "Pakkun what are you doing here?" I questioned as I crouched down to the small pug's height. "Is Kakashi nearby? Are Sasuke and him alright? Do they need help?"

     "No no nothing of that sort," Pakkun reassured me as he motioned for us to keep walking. "Kakashi just sent me to accompany you back home that's all."

     "To accompany me? Why?" I questioned confused. "How did he even know I was out this late? Who did he talk to?"

     "He summoned me towards him and had me sniff you out and with my incredibly sharp sense of smell, I concluded that you were not home yet," Pakkun proudly announced gloating about his ability. Strutting proudly Pakkun turned his head up towards me only to come face to face with my upset expression. "Ooh... you're not happy."

     "No I'm not happy not one bit," I huffed out speedily walking past the small pug. "Why would I be pleased that Kakashi felt the need to send an 'escort' to walk me back home? After not even being in contact with me since he's gone to train with Sasuke!"

     "Aww come on don't be mad at the guy this is the best he's got," Pakkun coaxed as he speedily caught up to me matching my pace. "Might not seem like it but this is how he's showing he cares in his own way."

     "If he actually cared about me maybe he shouldn't have been keeping me worried about their well-being," I grumbled rolling my eyes. "Would have definitely kept me saner than speculating if they were doing good or not... could have saved me hours of my sleep by not having me worry."

     "Hey I didn't say the man was perfect he's got some learning to do," Pakkun acknowledged nodding along. "Kakashi sure is dense when it comes to these types of stuff."

     "Yea he is," I sighed out stopping on my feet as I dragged my hand over my face. Quickly I found myself recalling a younger Kakashi who has always struggled to express his feelings due to the harsh realities in his life. "It's not he's fault though... how are they both?"

"Nothing to worry about Shizuka," Pakkun reassured as he too stopped a little bit more ahead of me. "They actually not that far away from here, heard that they were heading back here tomorrow."

"They better be if they want to actually make it to the Chunnin Exams," I chuckled with a slight scoff.

"Well knowing Kakashi I wouldn't hold my breath to expecting them early," Pakkun added on grumpily yet with a slight smirk.

"Better late than never as always," I concluded before steadily again walking towards my house with Pakkun along my side. We walked in comfortable silence side by side after that and I no longer felt anxious about the dark quiet streets.

——-
Hello lovely readers! Thank you ones again for taking the time to read my story it's very much appreciated!!
Yes, I do know the order of Hayate's death is switch up here but the ending is still the same sadly.
Ones again like always if you guys have any suggestions or constructive criticism I would love to know them!
Not much of Kakashi in this chapter but wanted to give you guys a small snippet of his caring/soft side toward Shizuka at the end <3
Sorry for always taking so long to upload a chapter for the millionth time...
Thank you for being patient!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.5K 1.6K 46
Shirazaki Y/N, childhood best friend of Uchiha Sasuke, has a complex and conflicted journey ahead. United by a strong bond since their early years, t...
9K 1K 26
(A Naruto-themed fanfic- Book 1 in its series) Just recently promoted to Jonin Status as a medical shinobi of the Hidden Leaf Village, Katsu Inazuna...
200 5 6
When Nao was around five years old she was found outside an orphanage. The kids never took a liking to her and so decided to picked on her as her usu...
25K 774 57
Shiori Senju, a smart and talented girl becomes the youngest clan leader in history then graduates from the academy becoming a kunoichi (Genin). Her...