Cadaverous Love

By Emthusiastic

"There's better things than this," he says, "there's gotta be." More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty-One
Chapter Fourty-Two
Chapter Fourty-Three
Chapter Fourty-Four
Chapter Fourty-Five
Chapter Fourty-Six
Chapter Fourty-Seven
Chapter Fourty-Eight
Chapter Fourty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-One

1.5K 54 84
By Emthusiastic

I fling the locker door open-finally. Dallas leans against the lockers next to me and waits as I close the door and practice my combination again. My fingers fumble to the metal hatch-it doesn't budge.

"Are you freaking kidding me?" I let out a long, exasperated breath and look up at the No Smoking sign that hangs above my locker proudly. On the bottom it reads, "you might smoke, but some of us don't!"

The bell wails in my ears as-whatever creatures they may be-flood from the classrooms. The smell of a cancer stick wafts up to my nose, looking over at Dallas, I come to see that he's the one smoking. Why am I not surprised?

"Dal-" I pull the cigarette from his lips, "-there's a No Smoking sign right there." I wave in the general direction of it.

"And?"

"So don't smoke-" he gives me a somewhat glare and I decide to soften my tone, "I really just don't want you to get in trouble on the first day of school, okay?" Or at all for that matter...

"Whatever," he waves his hand, brushing off my comment.

"Excuse you, Miss!" A high-pitched voice yells out. I turn, and I am hit with the shock and amusement that it's a man speaking. He looks to be in his mid-forties with an expression that looks like he ate something sour. He has limbs that could easily pass for two twigs dangling at his sides. I can't do anything but stare as he approaches.

His long fingers wrap around my wrist and the smell of rotten meat follows him.

"Can't you see the sign?" He asks through gritted teeth. He grabs me by the arm.

"Watch it, asshole." Dallas says.

"Did you want to go to the office too, hood?"

Dallas glares and spits on the floor, "yeah, take me to the office. Wasn't even her who-"

"I'll deal with you sometime else."

"Deal with me now," The man turns and tightens his grip, "hey-asshole."

"Dallas-" I say as I look right into his eyes as they swarm with anger, "-no."

"Are you really going to-"

"Just stop."

The tall, almost sickly man, tugs my arm hard and half drags me down hallway.

Dallas looks at me, and mouths "Why?" I see him turn and leave before I'm dragged into the office.

--

"Well, I wasn't expecting to see you here so soon." Mr. Artie says, "please, have a seat." I sit down in a chair in front of his desk. "You were smoking?"

I open my mouth to say something, but instead, I decide to just roll with it, so, I nod.

"You know that smoking is bad for you, right? Thus the name 'cancer-sticks'."

I nod again. I wonder what it would be like to say that to Dal.

"Now, I'm just going to let you off with a warning. But, I am going to have to keep you for a period or so," I let a long breath. "Sorry, rules are rules."

Sinking down into the chair, I begin to count the tick of the clock and how many times my pulse presses against my thumb which is laying against my wrist.

Darry is going to chop my head clean off as soon as he finds out I was sent to the office my first day back at school.

"Are you okay?" His voice breaks through my frustrated train of thought.

"I guess, why?"

"You look like you're trying to avoid transformation into a werewolf. "

I didn't notice it, but when I look down I see my hands grabbing the arms of the chairs, knuckles turning white. I loosen my grip and shake the cramps from my fingers

"You know, the teacher who brought you here isn't that bad. I mean, when you work with him for a while."

The sentence I heard sounded like, 'Satan isn't so bad once you work with him for a while.'

"I believe you have him as your English teacher, "

"What?" I almost yell, shocked and dreading every day I now have to spend in this hellhole.

"I'm pretty sure, here let me check." He moves from his chair over to a large wooden file cabinet. Opening the third drawer down, he begins to flip through the folders, "last name starts with an H, right?"

"Yes,"

"Here we are, H," he pulls out a file and thumbs through the papers within, as he mutters my name repeatedly under his breath, "there you are, Miss Hughes." He yanks out a paper and his eyes scan over it, "yes, you have Mr. Evel for English."

"Promising." I say, almost accidentally. To my relief, he laughs, a soft laugh that hums through the walls of the room- Laughter such a beautiful song, "-so," I say, trying to get past my remark,-"do you have every student's schedule in there? "

"Yep, would you like to see someone else's schedule? "

"Uh- sure. Ponyboy Curtis and Morgan Franzen?"

"Alright," he goes through the same process twice in different drawers, "here's Ponyboy's." He says, "what a bright kid."

"Yeah, thankfully he was actually born with brains."

"I'd give him more opportunities if I knew money wasn't an issue anymore."

"What kind of opportunities?"

"Well, we were sending a group of the honor's kids down to a reserve in Florida, to 'observe nature' - but mostly just to hang out, I guess. I didn't want to get the kid's hopes up, so I didn't tell him."

"There's still a chance he can go?"

"Well, if he can get the money, yes. "

"How much is it?"

"One-hundred and twenty dollars." If I had a drink in my mouth, I would spit it out. "Yeah, I know, but it's an amazing opportunity for the students. It could even lead to chances of scholarships."

"Oh my gosh, that's amazing," I want nothing more for Pony than going to college and being with someone he loves-and that part has already been covered. Thanks, Morgan.

"Well, how do you know Ponyboy?"

I sit back in the chair again, relaxed, "he's my kid brother,"

"Kid brother? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term."

"Oh, sorry, he's like a little brother to me." Not like a little brother, he is my little brother.

"Yes, that's right, Curtis. I should've guessed, you both live in the same household, no? "

"Yeah, we do."

"Oh boy, can that kid run." Mr. Artie adds on.

"He's quite the athlete."

"Here's Morgan's," I look over both of their schedules to see that they have all of the same classes. I have no doubt they both love that, "Morgan a friend of your's?"

"Haha, yeah. She's quite witty, quick with something funny, but takes time to think about the things that are important to her." Why I trust him enough to say that? To say anything? I don't know.

"She's never really talked to me, so I wouldn't know." I nod, "but I've heard from their teachers that they can't keep Ponyboy and Morgan separated, "

"I have no doubt about that," I laugh-and boy, does it feel good.

"How about yourself?" He asks, "do you have any qualities about yourself that you think standout-or makes you who you are? Both Ponyboy and Morgan are incredibly smart, and Ponyboy's rather athletic; Morgan, as you said, is funny."

"Not particularly," I say, as my insides wriggle, "I guess I'm just... Average."

"No one special?"

"No one special."

"I can assure you that is not true. Although you might not seem or even be special to a lot of those around you, you are important to someone. Everyone has different ways of showing it, some people don't show it, and some people are afraid to show it. "

--

Mr. Artie sends me on my way when the bell to end 3rd period rings. I have no use to go back to my locker, so I just make my way to room 663.

"Hey kiddo!" Someone yells, somewhere in the hall. Standing on my tiptoes, I spot Two-Bit smiling and waving. I smile and wave back, "where you been?" He says, drawing closer.

"I was in the Dean's or principals office," at this point Steve walks up and joins the conversation.

"Mr. Artie," he mumbles, "that asshole." He clears throat, "Did you get in trouble?"

"Haha, yeah."

"What for?" Two-bit adds.

"Dal was smoking and I took the cigarette from him, and pointed to the No Smoking sign right above his head. Then, I got caught with a still lit smoke in my hand."

"You took a blow for ol' Dally, how sweet," Two smirks, "yanno, Dal might not show it or even know it, but he needs you." As the words leave his lips, my heart beats so loud I can hear it in my ears.

"Speaking of Dally," Steve says, "have you seen him or did he ditch? "

"Didn't see him, but I heard him loud and clear-" begins Two-bit, "He was in the bathroom, yelling something about how he was going to -and I quote- 'Whip it out and piss all over ya's if you don't get the hell out of my way, ass wipe."

I laugh and the bell rings shortly after,

"See ya," Steve says, his brain somewhere else.

"By, sweetie," Two gives me a one armed hug, "I'm gonna go make sure Steve is late for his class," he smiles mischievously and disappears into the crowd of people.

Stepping into the classroom, my heart drops in to my stomach and I want to disappear. A redhead, Cherry Valance I believe, shoots a quick smile my way and I return the gesture. I make my way to the back of the classroom to two empty desks side-by-side, I sit down

Dallas don't be late, please don't be late, the late bell rings. Of course.

The teacher, Mr. Evel, steps into the classroom and looks at me and half snarls.

"Well," his high-pitched voice fills the room, "everyone here today?"

The classroom door bursts open and crashes against the wall, and Dallas bounds in.

"Where were you?" The teacher asks, nose wrinkled so high up I can see his nose hairs.

"I got lost on my way to hell," Dal says loudly, strolling to the back of the classroom, "I'm here now though." He laughs and plops down in the chair next to me.

"Alrighty, then." Mr. Evel turns his back and randomly starts yelling about the importance of punctuation.

Dal leans closer to me and whispers angrily, "what the hell is wrong with you? Why'd you do that? Why'd you go and get yourself in trouble for something I did? Are you stupid? "

Mr. Artie's voice plays in my head, "everyone has different ways of showing it."

"No, I'm not stupid. Mr. Artie wasn't even mad and-"

"I don't care. Don't pull that shit. I'll get in trouble when it's my fault. "

"Dallas-"

"Stop trying to argue. I've already made my point loud and clear and-"

"You would've hit him, Dallas. Or kept arguing, but when I said no- when I said stop- you stopped. Why did you listen to me?"

Dallas shifts awkwardly, avoiding the question, "I saw you getting touchy with Two in the hall."

"And that... Bothers you? "

"Yeah, I guess."

"So, I can't hug my friend?"

"No."

"Can I hug you?"

"Yeah,"

"And what if you aren't there to hug?"

"Wait."

Smiling, I flip to a random page in my notebook to begin drawing.  Dallas fidgets beside me, bumping my elbow causing my pencil to drag across the paper. I turn to him, agitated, to see him trying to get his zipper up.

"Dammit." He mutters.

"Dallas-" I whisper, trying my best not to sound annoyed.

"What?"

"Move your hands for a second." I reach over and pull on the material at the top of his jeans,

"Oh, I see," he jokes. I sigh and roll my eyes as I tug slightly on the zipper to get it unstuck.

"Excuse you!" A loud, high-pitched voice yells, I jump and the zipper flies the rest of the way close. I retreat my hands back to my own lap, and look up to see Mr. Evel and the rest of the class staring at me, "this is a classroom! Not your whore house-"

"Where you belong!" A young man sitting by the door in a grey sweater shouts. I wish the floor would drop out from the beneath me.

"Hey, asshole," Dal says to the guy in the grey sweater, "she isn't a whore."

"Enough from you, Winston," Mr. Evel spits, "you," his eyes shift to me and sets my skin on fire, "Dean's office. Now."

I stand without hesitation.

"She didn't even-"

"Be quiet or come with us."

--

"Sexual acts?" Mr. Artie raises his eyebrows at me, "in a classroom? "

"No, sir," I speak up, "I was trying to help Dallas with his zipper. He couldn't get it up."

"Yeah, man," Dally says next to me, slouched in the chair, "she wouldn't try anything even if it was just me and her." Mr. Artie contains a laugh, but I can see it in his dirty-brown eyes. I can see the child wishing to be set free inside of him, a caring, sweet, reckless child that has been crushed under years of worry.

"Haha, he's right, Mr. Artie."

"Guys," he says, "if I don't punish you both- I won't be doing my job, even if I believe you. I can't afford to lose it right now. And you Mr. Winston-it wasn't very wise to punch someone in the face, was it?"

"He called her a whore," Dallas almost shouts.

"Please, lower your voice," Mr. Artie says, crashing down in his chair. He presses his hands to his eyes, and for a second, I think he's going to cry. He pulls his hands quickly from his face, "screw it if I lose my job. You guys are being let off easy." I'm relieved, but I don't want to stay in school either. "But if I see you guys in my office again soon- I will not- Will. Not. hesitate to suspend the both of you. "

"Wait," I blurt out, "why are you being so nice to us-to me?"

"You've probably heard rude remarks about me, but I draw a line between school and emotional needs of my students, and I will step over the line if I think I can help that student." He waits, like he expects me to say something. As the urge to scream out for the help he's offering wells up inside of me, I nod.

"It's up to the student if they like to receive help, though. Can't force that upon them."

Tears well up in my eyes and I use my hand to block my face from Dallas as they fall. Why now? Why am I crying... Now? When I was just starting... Starting to get everything back together again. It always happens this way. Sadness always attacks when we have our backs turned on it.

Please stop. Please stop staring at me. I don't want to do this here, or now. Infront of either of you.

"Emily?" Dallas asks softly, I can hear him lean forward in his chair-something snaps inside of me in and a sob finds its way out

How do you tell someone everything? How do you start? How do you end? Where do you start? Where you end?

How do you tell someone you see no point in the future? How do you tell someone you thought of suicide but you couldn't leave everyone in the same situation that you were left in? My mind flashes to my mom and I suddenly want to throw up, but instead I sob again and again, the heat of their eyes is digging into me like talons of a beautiful bird.

"You can't help me," I finally say inbetween breaths "no one can."

"Someone can and will," Mr. Artie speak softly, and I feel like a child hiding under the booths at the Chinese restaurant again, "do you want to talk?"

My head shakes no, my insides scream yes.

"Dallas, do you mind leaving?" Mr. Artie asks.

"I'm not going anywhere." He responds. I take in short breaths and wipe the tears off my face. I struggle to gather myself, but I do.

"Here," Mr. Artie scribbles on two small pieces of paper and hands one to each of us, "now, Emily, you can take as long as you'd like to, okay?" Dallas nods for me. "I'll be seeing you guys soon," he says as Dally stands up.

"Come on, Princess," he says, grabbing me by the arm.

I'm led out to the hallway and the office door clicks shut behind me. Dallas wraps his arms around my shoulders, and his warmth spreads throughout my chest and I can feel his heart beat and I never, ever want him to let go.

I hold onto him like he's all I have left as I start to cry again. I thought, maybe I'd be keeping an eye or taking care of the "troublemaker"-
But the troublemaker is taking care of me.

Author's Note (?)

Sorry guys, I didn't plan on this chapter being so long or emotional, haha. And super sorry for not updating sooner- I've been pretty busy with school, clubs and life in general. Thanks (:

Oh, and what do you guys think of Mr. Artie?

Sincerely,

Me ... (AKA, Emily [; )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 71 20
(N.) things better left unsaid; matters to be passes on over silence.
62.1K 761 33
They are just friends... that have some benefits. Well that's the problem, they are friends with benefits. They never wanted to fall in love... it ju...
1K 41 21
The title says it all
562K 10K 52
They say that angel's don't have wings That may be why this one fell for the devil Or so she thought he was the devil until she found out she was nev...