Behind The Gate of Lakeview

By Rihanna_Adedeji

Jadeshola Badmus is not your regular female lead. She's outspoken, Brilliant, Sassy, beautiful, intelligent... More

Behind The Gate Of Lakeview
~one~
~Two~
~Three~
~Four~
~Five~
~Six~
~Seven~
~Eight~
~Nine~
~Ten~
~Eleven~
~Tweleve~
~Thirteen~
~Fourteen~
~Fourteen~ 2
~Fifteen~
~Sixteen~
~Seventeen~
~Eighteen~
~Nineteen~
~Twenty~
~Twenty One~
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
~Twenty Four~
~Twenty Five~
~Twenty Six~
~Twenty Seven~
~Twenty Eight~
~Twenty Nine~
~Thirty~
~Thirty One~
~Thirty Two~
~Thirty Three~
~Thirty Four~
~Thirty Six~
~Thirty Seven~
Meet The Characters 💖
~Thirty Eight~
~Thirty Nine~
~Forty~
~Forty One~
~Forty Two~
~Forty Three~
~Forty Four~
~Forty Five~
~Forty Six~
~Forty Seven~
~Forty Eight~
~Forty Nine~
~Fifty~
Fifty One
~Fifty Two~
~Fifty Three~
~Fifty Four~
~Fifty Five~
~Fifty Six~
Questions and Answers

~Thirty Five~

3.2K 798 271
By Rihanna_Adedeji

                    Dedicated to Angell554

He tried not to look at her, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.

                                                     Murakami.

                                ~Uthman~

'I'm filing for a divorce'

I stared at mom, no my stepmom or Aunty Wura, I don't even know what to call her at the moment. Divorce? I've always imagined them getting a divorce but not like this, not when I've already gotten used to her, not when I've already gotten used to her. Moji just burst into tears.

'Take your sister into her room'

Dad barked, his voice authoritative. I stood up just like mom, Aunty Wura also stood up.

'I'll tuck her in' She said and made to grab Moji's hands.

'No, not you. We have to talk. Uthman, are you deaf?'

I grabbed Moji's hands and started to drag her upstairs.

'We don't have anything to talk about

Aunty Wura replied and started to follow us up the stairs. Dad stood up and grabbed her hands albeit forcefully. I stopped. I hope he wasn't going to hit her.

'Uthman, go to your room.'

I still did not move. The truth is I don't know what atrocities my dad is capable of committing. I seriously don't want to be the son of the man who hits his wife.

'Are you deaf?'

He bellowed and I shuddered, dragging Moji into her room. She was still crying. I couldn't hear everything from my room but I could make pieces and bits of their discussion or was it an argument? I wasn't sure again.

'I'm not going to continue to slave for a man who continues to treat me like an idiot..... No, I'm filling for the custody of my daughter...... Nobody will talk me out of this... I already know I signed my life away when I agreed to marry you nine years ago..... Don't bring my father into this... Don't you even... You never for once acted as a father to your kids, not to talk of acting like a husband to me......... When was the last we talked, have we ever even talked... When was the last time we had........'

Dad said something I did not hear and then, feet climbing up the stairs, I heard their room's door open and close and then open and slammed shut again. I looked at Moji who was lying on her bed and dozing off, I wiped the tears on her cheeks just as the door to her room opened and Mom entered. There were tears in her eyes and she avoided looking at me as she said.

'Go to your room'

I stood up from the bed and she walked to the bed and laid on it. I figured out she was going to sleep here. I stepped out and leaned against the closed door. God! I'm not ready for what this will bring. That is if I even know what it will bring. I went to the stairs and I saw dad sitting dejectedly on a chair in the sitting room. The last time I saw him this dejected was when my mom died. He looked up and saw me. Then I watched him stand up, pick his car keys, and leave the house. He was going to bury himself in work again, like always instead of facing this head-on. I heaved a sigh and went back to my room but without the soft cries from Moji's room.

I did not even know whether I slept or not or if I had a sound sleep but I woke up the next morning. I dressed up slowly, not feeling the need to go to school.

But you will see Jade. My subconscious whispered. And hopefully, you guys will pick up from where you left.

That is if Michelle did not decide to ruin the moment again. Speaking about Michelle, how was I going to tell her now? I know I have to tell her but just not how. I liked her and I seriously don't want to see her hurt.

'well, you have to pick a side. You can plan on dating Jade and still intend to be friends with Michelle.'

Maybe I can find a way for them to become close again.

I burst into laughter at that thought. Okun and Osa will have to be friends before that could happen.

But wait, did I just think  'Plan on dating Jade?' Really? I wasn't even sure if she likes me.

'Dour'

My subconscious whispered just as I heard a knock on my door.

'Uthman, are you up? You'll be late for school'

I did not reply to her as I picked up my bag. She did not care about me because there is no way she will pull a fast one like this when we just started getting closer. She was about to knock again when I opened the door. Her eyes were swollen and I knew she must have cried all through the night.

'Good morning ma'

I greeted them even though I had earlier planned on ignoring her.

'Good morning. Breakfast is ready.'

So she even cooked? I said nothing as I walked downstairs. Moji was already at the table. I kissed her on the forehead.

'Good morning Angel, did you sleep well?'

'I dreamt that I was drowning.'

What?

'it's a silly dream, don't think much about it.'

'I hope so'

I looked at her and smiled. Funny how my little sis always manages to crake me up every time even if she is supposedly serious. I sat down and managed to eat a little. Was mom serious about the divorce? What happens now? Where do we go from here?

Look at the brighter side dude, think of Jade, think of how you felt holding her hands yesterday, think of the sound of her laughter, think of her lips...

Not thinking about that if I want to hold on to my sanity.

I got to school the same time Michelle got down from her car. She waved and joined me in walking to the class area.

'How're you?'

'Not bad'

I replied to her, truth is I'd rather not talk to her at the moment.

'You don't sound fine, are you okay.'

I groaned inwardly but I was saved from answering by Akin who we bumped into at the corridor of our block.

'Hey man. How far?'

I smiled inwardly. Thank Goodness.

'I'm fine. Howdy?'

'Fine'

He replied and started to walk away.

'Wait for na, where are you running to?'

He turned back, surprised.

'Let's conclude on what we were talking about yesterday.'

He appeared shocked for a second, then his eyes danced with mischief when reality dawned on him. I turned to Michelle.

'Okay, I'll excuse you guys but you have to promise me we will eat lunch together today, alone.'

She capitalized on the alone and I nodded. She left.

'So what we're talking about?'

Akin asked, leaning against the wall and his eyes dancing with mischief.

'Shut up. You know that was just a cover.'

'Oh! I just fail to see reasons why you don't want the company of your best friend.'

'Shut up'

I replied him, leaning on the wall beside him.

'Why did you give Jade my Cardigan yesterday?'

He shrugged.

'She needed it. You don't want all the other guys seeing her in only her......'

'Akin'

'hmm'

'Gbenu take (shut up)

He burst into laughter. 'Looks like someone is getting overly protective and you guys are not even dating yet.'

I hissed just as Hana and Jade climbed the stairs. I sucked in sharp breaths just staring at her. God knows why but she was putting on lip gloss today. Her lips were always so noticeable and now she has even made it worse by using lip gloss.

'Good morning Uthman'

'Good morning'

I replied to her and smiled. God knows I must look like a clown right now, smiling just at an ordinary greeting.

'Are you sure you think about anything else but her lips? How could you concentrate like that on her lips? Just kiss her if it's that hard.'

Jade and Hana had barely walked away when he said that. I glared at him. He shrugged.

'I was saying the truth'

'Oponu ni e. What about Bunmi? Are you guys official now?'

'Well, I was turned down.'

'What?'

'She doesn't want to date in Secondary school.'

'That's all bullshit my nigga, just kiss the caution out of her. Girls can't think straight after kisses. Good kisses. A French kiss preferably.'

We all turned towards the direction of the voice. It was Dan. I shook my head. Trust Dan with all his crazy ideas. Only God knows how Hana was keeping up with his energy.

He shook hands with Akin and ignored me.

'Just kiss her, madly, deeply. The longer, the deeper, the better and if she should say No after that, then it is hopeless.'

'Uthman needs that advice more than I do. I'm not that desperate. He is the one who can't stop staring at a girl's lips for a minute.'

Dan stopped and stared at me.

'You like her?'

'Obviously'

'What about Michelle?'

Akin hissed. 'Which Michelle? Abeg shift. The last time I checked, it's not like you were particularly fond of her.'

'I'll know what to tell her.'

I replied. Dan only shrugged as the bell went off. It's time for Morning Devotion.

                          ***********

                              ~Jade~

Cliches have it that girls will carefully wash the clothes of the guys they like, smell it like a hundred times, and iron it even if it's not needed. I hated cliches but right now, I am Cliche, cliche is me. I don't even know how long I stood in the laundry room, caressing Uthman's cardigan. God! I'm pathetic!

The next morning, I met Hana at the car park and we walked to the class area together. We bumped into Akin and Uthman in the corridor. My heart did a double flip on seeing him. I don't know how someone, just one person gets to be this handsome.

'ode, you've known him for over five years, do you just realize he is handsome.'

This subconscious mind of mine is a rebel.

'Good morning Uthman'

Was that my voice?

I greeted and I saw Akin scowl.

'Good morning.'

'Wow wow wow, the sexual tension between you guys was so so obvious. As in. How come I was blind to it all these while?'

Hana said as soon as we were out of hearing distance. I rolled my eyes.

'Sexual tension ko, sexual tension ni'

'Keep denying it oo'

After morning devotion, the first period was Government and Chemistry so that means Uthman, Akin, and Hana were going to the Chemistry lab for their class. I decided to follow them since our Government was not around.

'where are you going?'

Akin asked once I stood up to follow them.

'Following you guys. Our Government teacher is not around.'

He chuckled. 'Well, come and witness the magic of being a science student.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Don't let start please'

I saw like 5 other Arts students follow us. We were fond of this in my set, Art students attending science students to their classes and vice versa, I've never done it before though. I followed them to the lab with Michelle walking with Uthman at the front. She never wanted to go to science class but guess who changed their mind once she became friends with Uthman? Smh.

Their teacher was already writing on the board when we all entered. I entered, trying to blend among. I did not want the teacher to notice me. Twenty minutes into the class, the teacher left saying something like the students should make themselves useful in the lab. I did not even know how I survived the twenty minutes, it was too boring.

'How about we experiment with chemicals instead of idling around?'

Someone said and all the students cowed in excitement. I sha hope they don't end up blowing up the school with the chemicals they intend to mix.

'Oya, head boy, common help us.'

Someone said as they all formed a circle around a table in the laboratory. Hana dragged me and I found myself standing directly in front of Uthman. He was on the other side and his attention was focused on the things on the table. I doubt if he has seen me.

'Or about we make bubbles? The last time we made that was in SS1.'

Someone said and Uthman nodded. I watched them mix some things in a bowl, the beaker, I guess. Minutes later, they all moved a little bit back as bubbles erupted from the beaker.

'wow,' I said subconsciously. Slap me so I'd wake up from this trance. I stared mouth aghast at the sight in front of me. I don't think I've seen a sight more beautiful than this.

'Except Uthman's face of course'

Thinking of Uthman, I looked up to find him staring at me. He looked intrigued. God knows by what. I held his gaze. I'm not the one to back down.

No one deserves to be this handsome. I could stare at his face all day.

Someone cleared their throat behind me and I turned to see Akin smiling coyly at me.

'So so so, is this when I get to lecture you on sex education?'

'Because?'

'With the rate you guys are going, I don't think you'll be able to keep your hands to yourselves much longer

My eyes doubled their original size. Nah, Akin did not just say this? Yes, he just said it. I glared at him and he just smiled.

'But Uthman is highly disciplined and you are a good girl but hormones could be pretty strong. I don't want you to end up pregnant.'

What? My mouth opened a little and I  glanced around but thankfully, the others were so focused on the bubbles that they did not hear Akin. I glared at him and turned to see Uthman looking at us. He must have heard everything. I looked away, my face burning with embarrassment.

I'll kill Akin someday soon.

                              **********

We had sports practice and after sports practice was lunch break. I, Hana, and Akin all ordered snacks and drinks instead of food, and instead of us sitting down in the cafeteria, we decided to go back to our class.
Daniel and Uthman were there too.

'Is this something like lovers' minds working together? How come we both decided to eat in the class today and not in the cafeteria?'

Dan said and winked at Hana as we entered. She laughed and went to sit beside him. Oh! I sat down in my seat. Uthman was sitting on his chair and Akin came to sit in front of me, flipping the front chair closer. I opened my drink and took a sip. I remembered I had not returned Uthman's cardigan. I opened my bag and took it out, handling it to Akin.

'Why are you handling it to me? It's not mine.'

'Were you not the one that gave it to me?'

He shrugged and continued to eat his gala. I turned to Uthman.

'Hey, take. Thanks for the cardigan.'

He smiled and collected it from me. Dan and Hana were practically feeding each other at the front. I rolled my eyes.

'Wait? What's this feminine smell from my cardigan? Did you use your spray on it?'

Oh, God! No! I thought I only used a little on it. Is it that obvious? Akin chuckled.

A junior boy entered the class and he came to me directly. That saved me from answering.

'Good afternoon Senior Jade, one senior in SS2 asked me to give this to you.' He said and brought out a paper from his pocket. I collected it and before I could even say anything, he was out of the classroom.

'What could that be?'

Akin asked and I shrugged, opening the letter

'Dear Jade. I know you might not know me but I know you. I've been watching you ever since. I've had a huge crush on you since I was in SS1. I like the way you bit your lower lips when you are doing nothing. I like.........'

I dragged a hiss and stopped reading. God! I have suffered in this world. Me? A whole me? A junior wrote a love letter to me? Jadeshola Badmus!! God! I've played a lot.

'What's it?' Akin asked and before I could answer, he grabbed the paper from me and glanced through it. He looked at Uthman before he started to read it, out loud.

'Stop.' I said but he ignored me.

'....... . I like the way you bit your lower lips when you are doing nothing. I like your long legs in sports wear. I like the sound of your laughter. I love it when you have your lower lips in between your teeth....'

He trailed off and looked up, not at me but Uthman. I snatched the paper from him and shred it into pieces. I was angry at Akin.
Dan and Hana were behind him now. Hana looked puzzled. Daniel just burst into laughter.

'I told you to stop.' I said, my voice laced with anger but he ignored it as he smiled coyly at Uthman.

'looks like my guy is not the only one who has been fantasizing about your......'

'Akin!'

That was Uthman and I shuddered at the velocity of his voice. I still did not turn to look at him. Akin only laughed.

'Come on guy, I was not the one that wrote the letter.'

'Shut up.'

I said to him and he finally looked in my direction.

'Okay. I'm sorry guys. Hmm? But whoever wrote the letter must be a pro. He even talked about your legs. Who could it be?'

I shook my head. Akin is an idiot. A certified one. I couldn't even get angry at him.

                            ***********

                             ~Uthman~

I did not know how and when my fists clenched, listening to Akin read the letter.

....... I like the way you bit your lower lips when you are doing nothing. I like your long legs in sportswear. I like the sound of your laughter. I love it when you have your lower lips in between your teeth....'

Who the fuck is this guy? I thought as I loosened my tie a little, feeling suffocated. Who the fuck is he?

Akin stopped and looked at me.

'I told you to stop' Jade said but he ignored her

'looks like my guy is not the only one who has been fantasizing about your......'

'Akin!'

Was that my voice?  God! I was so angry. Who the fuck is this guy? I clenched and unclenched my fists again.

'Come on guy, I was not the one that wrote the letter.'

I glared at him and he chuckled lightly.

'Shut up'

'Okay. I'm sorry guys. Hmm? But whoever wrote the letter must be a pro. He even talked about your legs. Who could it be?'

I glared at him just as the bell went off, signaling the end of the lunch break.

Who on earth is that guy?

I stood up, pushing my chair bed just as my classmates started to enter the class. I went out of the class, feeling the need to get fresh air. I went to the place which overlook our school's field I did not even know what I started to get physically protective of Jade like this.

'Hey'

I turned to look at Jade. She was standing beside me. I glanced at her briefly before facing the field again.

'Are you ditching class again?'

'Nah, the teacher is not yet around. Why are you outside by the way?'

Really? You're asking me that? Wow. Good!

'I needed fresh air and solace.'

'oh, I'm sorry. I never meant to infringe. I'll leave now.'

I watched her turn to leave and without thinking much of it, I grabbed her arm.

'No. I mean, you should stay.'

She smiled and leaned against the handrail.

'It's rare of you to want to be alone. Is everything okay?'

I can't stop thinking about kissing you or holding you. It's crazy. You standing this close to me and that feminine smell on my cardigan, it's all probably going to ruin me. And I'm exercising all my restraints now by not doing anything. I don't know if feeling like this is normal because heck, how is a teenager meant to deal with all these complex feelings?

'Hmm?'

She touched my hand slightly and I jumped.

'You're zoning out, are you okay? Do you need to go to the sickbay?'

I shook my head. Jade will probably be the end of me. How come I never saw her in this light before? When and how did she become this enticing?

'We should probably go back to the class. I'm sure our teacher will soon get to class.'

I turned to leave but she still stood there.

'I was enjoying it here. How about we stay here a little bit longer? We will know when our teacher arrives.'

I turned back to look at her, swallowing imaginary saliva. She stared back, gaze unwavering.

'Why?'

'Why what?'

'Why are you enjoying it?'

She only smiled and shrugged.

'I enjoy sending time with you.'

Nah, I did not just hear that.

Yes, you just heard it.

Jade did not just say that.

Yes, she just said it.

'Why are you guys outside?

We both looked down at the voice. It was the Vice Principal Academics.

'Our teacher is not around Sir'

'And you can't stay in your class and revise?'

'We're discussing the upcoming ECOWAS Oratory contest, Sir.'

'Oh, Good of you guys. Keep it up.'

Jade chuckled slightly when the man walked away.

'Why did you lie?'

I shrugged.

'I want this moment with you to last longer.'

Bonus Bonus Bonus. I seriously deserve some accolades. This is a bonus chapter and it's so long, almost 4000 words. Pew, clap for me, Biko.

So Jade has a secret admirer? Well, he is not a secret admirer again. And what do you guys think of Uthman's reaction to it?

Our ship is finally sailing. I know you guys want them to become official soon but trust me, it's going to be worth the wait. You'll get everything you've been anticipating in the upcoming chapters.

And I'm so loving Akin, he is the clown of the group. Hopefully, he will get our fav couple to date sooner than we expect.

Someone gave our fav couple a name in the last chapter. ___stephanyy____ Thanks a lot ❤️🤗😊. #uthade, who else loves that name? And if you have other suggestions, kindly say them.

And don't forget to click the start button below. Love love you guys.

Till Friday or Saturday.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.3K 3.3K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
441 69 14
I sat in my bed looking around for what to do. I decided not to go to school today because I was hellbent on avoiding Justin after yesterday's event...
26.1K 2K 35
"We need to talk".... "I've got nun to say to you Carru. So leave me alone".... "I said, we need to talk!".... "Who do you think you are ordering me...
8.1K 364 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...