Instinct (Animal Series: Nove...

By Bella94

February 11, 2016 The new first chapter of "Instinct"- previously titled "The Accidental Mate" is now up and... More

Chapter one: Grace

756 18 4
By Bella94

"Hey, Birthday girl!" I smiled sitting in my seat beside Abby on the picnic bench. We'd decided to meet at the local park to study for our upcoming exams- which I desperately needed to study for... I was a procrastinator when it came to school. Abby most likely knew the material for not only this exam, but next semesters as well.

"Hey, Gracie!" She bounced excitedly. She had been counting down the days until her twenty-first Birthday since we were eight years old and tonight was her night. She wanted a mate, I couldn't care less about having a male by my side. I'd turned twenty-one seven months earlier. I was content with myself and the romance books were just enough to pass the spare time that I had in my life. I glanced over as she continued to highlight another paragraph. "Thank you for the Birthday acknowledgment... you could have also sent it on facebook..." She said a slight pout to her tone. I rolled my eyes and laughed out loud. She pouted and scanned the next few lines in her text book.

I couldn't help noticing that Abby was the beautiful, intelligent and romantic type. She had been blessed with golden blonde hair, cut just long enough to touch her shoulders styled in naturally accuring perfect curls- and as if that wasn't enough long tan legs for days that made just about every guy become mesmerized. We'd been best friends since pre-school. I can't remember a time when I didn't know her.

Unlike my own laid back attitude about life, Abby couldn't wait to be settled down in a quaint little house with a few children to keep her busy. She would be an amazing mother when the time finally came. She was much more worried about this happening later rather than sooner though. Her sister Lillian was now 28- quite old to have never been mated in our society- but I couldn't blame the males... Her sister was well, excuse the pun, quite a bitch.

Lillian and I had never gotten along so I was happy when she'd graduated and I no longer had to put up with her shallow, bossy personality as often. I still saw her frequently at pack meetings and of course nights out with our circle of friends.

"They scheduled the ritual for tonight." Abby announced quietly, glancing up at me from her long lashes. I already knew this. Dad had already told my mother and I.

Luckily, I was saved from replying when Lucas sat across from us and offered his own two cents. "Stupid law says I can't even battle for a chance to be Alpha."

Abby laughed hard and I even cracked a smile watching her try to compose herself.

"Why are you laughing?" Lucas glared. "I'd make a damn good alpha!"

Abby and I glanced at one another and both broke into hysterical laughter. Then he growled at us and my inner wolf turned her head. That was something my Alpha bloodline would not tolerate. My eyes narrowed and I stood- I've been told that even though I only stand at 5 feet 2 inches, I can be quite intimidating.

"That's why that 'Stupid law' is in place." I snarled, "You honestly think Shifters would follow a false alpha? You don't have the instinct for the job. Being an alpha isn't in your DNA." I focused on my breathing hoping to calm myself. My father's alpha blood ran through my veins and my wolf's genetics didn't take kindly to disrespect or threats- even from a male twice my size.

He glared, but didn't reply, which was smart on his part.

Abby spoke up, quickly intervening. "Come on Grace, we have a lot to do before the ceremony tonight."

We ended up at the mall. I stood outside the fitting room Abby was currently in- trying on her ninth dress. "Are you excited about tonight? There are going to be lots of eligible males there." I asked- more for her then for me.

"I am, but I keep thinking about you... Aren't you kinda nervous? I mean, I get to choose my mate, I get to fall in love and... what if you don't love him?" she whispered.

"I don't really think of it that way... I've never had the luxury of thinking seriously about love... not the romantic kind. I'll care for my Alpha. Just like my mother cares for my father. I'm nervous. I hope him and I get along well enough and I'm sure it will be awkward at some points, but it's part of who I am....." She peeked around the curtain and just stared at me questioningly. So I tried to explain myself to her again... "Uhm, well, it's like going to college was for us. Yes, it was scary and nerve wracking, but it's just a part of life for me. All part of the plan." I shrugged with a slight smile.

Yes, there were days that I secretly wished I were born a male so I could make my father proud. So that I could be Alpha. Then I would be the one to keep our pack in line and continue my father's reign. But the most I could ever be is the alpha's bitch, that's the highest rank a female shifter could get. So I would be the best alpha female that I could. Or at least I would try.

                                                                                                   ***

My mom knocked on my door, "Come in." I answered turning around in my computer chair.

"How are you feeling?" She questioned, sitting on the foot of my bed.

"Fine." I answered. 

She smiled softly... "I remember how nervous I was...Of course, it was different for me... Your father chose me." She twined her hands together in her lap and stared at them. Yes, my father chose her... He was born alpha, I didn't have the luxury of choosing even if I wanted to. The strongest male would win and I would become his mate- unless another female challenged me and won.

"I'm nervous." I whispered. The honesty of that confession left me breathless, I hadn't admitted that to anyone. My mom looked up and smiled a little wider. "Don't be. Instincts are strong things. Especially that of your wolf. Just make sure you listen to her. Don't fight her. She'll know what to do."

"Yeah," I told her trying to smile, I know I failed horribly.

Dad tapped on my already open door, "It's time." He said from the doorway.

                                                                                                ***

We arrived to the meeting place- a perfectly round meadow deep in the forest. The pack was already there. I squatted down, so my fingertips could brush the grass. The blades blew softly through my fingers.

I felt someone's gaze on me. When I looked up I met a dark pair of eyes. I looked away in record time. Then felt stupid, Why should I be looking away like I did something wrong! He's the one staring! So I raised my chin to a confident angle and stared back, challenging him. He caught on and smiled slightly. I felt the corners of my lips turn up as well.

I didn't know this male. He wasn't a boy, I knew that. He must have been a loner who is now ready to step in and forge a pack of his own. I turned when I heard Abby call whistle to me.

"Hey! What do I look like a dog?" I called, mocking annoyance.

"Not at the moment." She called back, chuckling slightly tipping her head and raising her brow it was just a second before I spun around, my elbow jutting out, so I'd hit whoever was sneaking up on me.

My arm was caught above the elbow gently before it had the chance to come into contact with anything. I thought maybe it was my uncle because of how gentle the hand restraining me was, but the smell was all wrong. I looked up; meeting the dark eyes I'd caught staring at me only moments ago. Deep hazel, like a mossy tree... so many greens and browns all swirled together, but each still so defined... So beautiful...

"I apologize... I didn't mean to scare you. You have amazing reflexes." He commented.

"You didn't scare me, and thanks." I said, still studying him carefully. He was one of the most beautiful Males I'd ever seen. Bronzed skin, Black short cropped hair and his eyes... Gosh, those eyes.

"Sure, I didn't." he whispered, his lips sneering a bit to keep a smile from his face. I would have been mad, but his warm breath brushed against my cheek and I was... dazed.

"Didn't what?" I whispered back, leaning in closer.

"Never mind," he answered quietly. He never moved, never pulled me closer. Never closing his fingers any tighter around my arm to keep me in place. He was letting me lead. That's all I'd ever wanted and he was giving it to me. My whole body jerked in awareness. It was like I'd never known a male until I met him. Now that I'd met one, I wanted one. Him in particular. I wanted to be my mate's equal.

My whole life I had been at ease with the fact that I may never want a man like the women in my romance novels. I was at ease with the fact that I may never find love that makes my heart swell, or cause butterflies to flutter inside of my body... But now, I wasn't sure that I was okay with that. And desperate ache began to form in the pit of my stomach causing me to slide my arm out of his gentle grasp.

My body was screaming in protest. It wanted nothing more than to melt into this man and, honestly, that terrified me. Places I suddenly wanted his touch on my body formed in my head, flashing in my mind. Places that no one had ever dared touched me before... I moaned, quietly in the back of my throat. Before I could get my hand completely free he caught it, still gentle, and raised it to his lips. My breath came in and out faster

Oh, what is he doing to me? What is wrong with me? My body was so warm. I felt the way I had the very first time I had shifted, the heat right before the quick flash pain...

Then, as if he hadn't been tortured me enough already in just a few brief seconds, which seemed to last entirely to long, he turned my hand over so my palm was facing upward and lowered his lips to my wrist. He bit down gently on my pulse point. My heart stopped, then picked up in double time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.4M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...