Chasing the Past--A Carmen Sa...

By neon0ir

Carmen Sandiego, the elusive super criminal known for her bright red coat and conniving thieving skills, is p... More

Author Note
1---The Colonial Singapore Caper
3---The Fourth Floor
4---New Friends, Old Enemies
5---Demons Await
6---The Dragon Dance Caper
AUTHOR NOTE

2---The Glass Water Club

770 26 44
By neon0ir

The Colonial Singapore Caper, pt.2

Feb 7

23:26 S.S.T   

 Sentosa, Singapore.

Carmen gestured to the third bazaar they had passed. This one had multiple vendors buzzing about and a bit of a crowd. Ivy's eyebrows shot up. "This is where you're famous club is?"

"Hidden in plain sight. The Glass Water club is full of criminals and has a renowned cage-fight arena. It's better for them to be more discreet."

The sound of player's fingers clacking on keys returned. "Okay, Ivy. I'm going to tell you what you have to say. Don't stutter. Make sure to leave your communicators in the car. They'll have alarms to detect for any trackers or weaponry you might have on you."

"Hoo. Okay. It's all about confidence." Ivy repeated to herself. As Player relayed the code she'd need to say to get in, Carmen began to analyze the bazaar. It was larger than the ones they'd seen previously, making it harder to determine who they'd need to say the code to. After Ivy was ready, they discarded their communicators in the black automobile, parking it in an area that was harder to reach.

"There." Ivy pointed to an old woman hunched behind a putrid stall reeking of dead carcasses and sea salt. Fish lined her booth, big and small.

"Her?" Carmen couldn't hide her surprise. The woman was a fragile thing.

"Yeah. I couldn't believe it either. Player said I needed to speak in a Singaporean dialect. The only one I knew some of was mandarin, since I took it in high school."

"You'll do great. Mandarin was the one language I was taught that I couldn't master back on the island. You'll have to teach me sometime."

"Sure." She paused and smiled. "Lucky Zack isn't here. He'd be like 'ugh, Fish!'"
Carmen chuckled. "We all have our weaknesses. And dead fish are pretty gross."

"True that."

As they approached the stall, Carmen could feel eyes lingering on Ivy and her. Though a quarter of Singapore's population wasn't Chinese, she knew their mannerisms screamed foreign. The extravagant dresses didn't help. Still, she kept her eyes forward and chin raised. She knew from experience to not show any sign of discomfort.

The old woman looked up, distrust and curiosity evident in her almond shaped eyes.

"Zhèxiē yú kàn qǐlái bu xīnxiān." (These Fish do not look fresh.) Ivy said, and Carmen was surprised at how effortlessly the words came out despite her earlier anxiety.

The woman looked up, a wicked glimmer in her eyes. "Tāmen shì jīntiān zǎoshang cóng hǎishàng dài lái de." (They are. Brought from the sea this morning.)

"Wǒ tīng shuō xīnjiāpō zhōuwéi dì hǎiyáng xiàng bōlí yīyàng qīngchè." (I hear the seas around Singapore are clear as glass.)

The woman smiled, revealing a mouth of yellow teeth with a few missing. "Nà nǐ huì shì duì de." (Then you would be correct.)

"Yǒu yītiān, wǒ xīwàng zìjǐ kàn kàn." (Someday, I wish to see it for myself.) Ivy's Bostonian accent affected her mandarin to a degree, but there was a confidence in her voice that seemed to be tricking the old woman.

The woman nodded her head to the door behind her stall. "Zhè tiáo lù." (This way.)

Ivy and Carmen reluctantly followed the woman into a dark hallway. It exited out into the wilderness. The woman motioned for them to follow and disappeared into the jungle-like area. They shot a wary glance at each other before following.  For ten minutes, they trudged through the underbrush. Finally, they arrived at a manicured estate. 

Carmen gasped. The houses on the estates were enormous. The word Mansion didn't cover it. They were built with a Victorian style in mind, though Singaporean influences were present. With a gasp, she realized she was walking on billion dollar property. These houses had been built by elite Singaporeans in the early nineteenth century, before being occupied and renovated by the British when they took over. 

The history. The knowledge. It was right in front of her, and she couldn't go after it. 

Reluctantly, she tore herself away.

Carmen and Ivy were led into a garden shed near the corner of the estate. To their surprise, the woman opened a trap door for them once inside. Carmen and Ivy gripped each other's hands before descending into the dimly lit area. The beginnings of the space was dirty, eroded, and dusty.

The farther they went, however, the world began to shift, the hallway becoming more high end and fit to a club with such an aristocratic reputation. As player had suspected, metal detectors were discreetly placed as they continued down, though she detected them with ease. Cameras were hidden in a similar manner, and Carmen had to force herself to not look in their directions.

The woman gestured to a group of people in suits standing threateningly at the door marking the hallway's end. She turned the other way and left without a word.

"Names?" The first one--a man---asked. He was tall and well built, tattoos peeking from the left sleeve of his blazer. His black hair was spiked with gel, reminding her of her ex-best friend Gray.

Stop. Don't go there. Not now.

He looked to be the most aggressive out of the trio standing guard, and the most forward. Before Carmen could intervene, Ivy replied casually. "Kendall Cordoin plus one."

"I'll need the name of that plus one."

"Elena San Ferdinand."

He murmured something to the mic around his chin, and it crackled with response. With a grunt, he moved to the side, allowing the two of them to pass.

The remnants of a k-pop song entered her ears. The door opened, and as they entered, Carmen was breathtaken. The large space had multiple floors and was dimly lit. As they descended the stairs to the main area, she noticed the long stretch island bar  to the left wall with luxury seating provided around it. A large window with water cascading down it took up the space of the fourth wall, providing a somewhat distorted view of the ocean. The state of poverty of the neighborhood of the bazaar from earlier was virtually nonexistent. Casino games were set in another corner. Betting was stretching past the millions as revealed by a neon teleprompter. The center of the floor descended yet again into another floor, though it was dark, signaling that it was empty. Bouncers were discreetly placed around the room, intervening here and there, ending brawls before they began.

"Wicked. . . " Ivy said, eyes wide as she took in their surroundings.

"Elena San Ferdinand, huh?"

Kendall Cordoin smiled. "I came up with it on the fly."

"I like it. Now, player said to look for a woman in a gold dress with a dragon tattoo."

Carmen scanned the room, searching for possible targets. Instantly, her eyes fell upon a woman with a group in one of the lounges. Her mahogany skin was flawless, her tall and slender frame that of a model's. She wasn't exactly beautiful, but, striking, with short black curls, angular brows, and severe cheekbones. A gold silk dress with a kente-inspired pattern cut in a modern, asymmetrical style complimented her lithe figure perfectly. She turned, and sure enough, the dragon curled from her forearm, partially obscured by her dress. It's head reappeared on her back spewing fire.

Carmen could tell Morrowa Addo was the type of person who commanded the presence of a room the moment she walked in. The epitome of confidence and poise.

As if feeling the red rogue's stare, the woman turned and locked gazes with her. Her eyes were cold and calculating, like a feline's. She looked. . . .amused.

"Let's grab a lounge for ourselves." She told Ivy. They selected one off to the corner, a bit away from the ceaseless noise from the casino area. Two plush couches were arranged perpendicular to each other, a modern looking table and lamp set in the middle, and Ghost orchids, a rare, expensive flower that were certainly not local, in a tall vase in the corner space. 

They both sat down on the long sofa.

"What should we order?" Ivy asked eagerly, already sipping from the complimentary drinks. When Carmen raised an eyebrow, the redhead grinned sheepishly. "Gotta make it seem natural. Besides, I've never had champagne."

"Understandable," She scanned the room for the Ghanaian woman. "But we should stay sober for the mission."

She eyed the drink in Ivy's hand warily. "You sure you want to drink that?"

"It's fiiiine. Besides, if I pass out, you'll be there."

"Ivy, we're on a Caper. Lay off the drink."

"Aw, Carm." Ivy pouted. "Your no fun."

"I promise I'll buy you some once we finish up. It'll be a liberal amount of course. I can't have my crew with hang-overs."

Before Ivy could reply a tall woman approached them. Carmen turned, realizing it was their target. Morrowa Addo.

"Do you mind if I join?" She asked, lifting a bottle of clear liquid, a lilting accent on her English. 

"The seat's empty," Ivy motioned to the other couch as she ogled the bottle.

"First time at the Glass Water?" Even as she sat down, she immediately wrenched control of the lounge. It felt like she and Ivy were the guests rather than the other way around. 

"Were we that obvious?" Carmen asked sardonically.

"You're newcomers. You have the look."

Carmen shrugged. "We're looking to enjoy ourselves. Get away from certain people and certain places. Maybe, make some money."

The woman nodded. "That's what the club is for. Tell me, what exactly did you think to find here?"

Carmen narrowed her eyes. "Nothing. We weren't looking for anything. What made you think that?"

The woman laughed. "No one comes to the Glass Water Club without questions in mind, miss..."

"Elena San Ferdinand." She gestured to herself before pointing a thumb at Ivy. "Kendall Cordoin."

"Morowa Addo. Pleased to meet you." She extended a slender hand towards Ivy, who shook it promptly. 

What was her game? Her angle?

"So, I hear you're the boss of this joint," Ivy said casually. Carmen winced at the hints of a Bostonian accent slipped through into her voice.

Morrowa laughed. "That's definitely  tall tale. Now, Miss Cordoin, I'm wondering, how did you hear about the Glass Water Club? 

Carmen's heart stopped momentarily. They had not prepared for this. Luckily, Ivy improved an answer. "From a friend. You've run these halls for a long time, haven't you?"

Changing the subject. Smart.

"you could say the Glass Water's a second home for people like me."

'People like us, Miss Addo," The redhead paused and turned to Carmen, who, in turn, gave an almost imperceptible nod. "We're looking for someone. A someone we believe you may or may not be familiar with."

Morowa raised an eyebrow. "You wish for secrets then, Kendall Cordoin? I must tell you, I know many. People entrust me with them for a reason. I will not break my vows."

"I wonder . . . .can those vows be withered?" Ivy smirked, fingering non-existent cash in her hand. 

"Try me, Miss Cordoin. financial payment means nothing to me."

"Who said I was talkin' about money?" 

The woman leaned forward. "What did you have in mind?"

"Codes," She pause, letting it sink in. "Launch Codes."

Morrowa's perfectly arched brows shot up, her eyes widening with intrigue. "Go on."

"I will. After I get my champagne." The Bostonian winked, standing. Carmen did her best not to react. This was not part of the plan. Figured. She deserved it after she let Ivy get tipsy.

"You guys want anything?" Ivy said with a dazed smile. She hiccuped, giggling. Carmen blinked. Never, not once, had she seen Ivy giggle.

"A martini, thank you."

"I'm good." Carmen still did not trust the club, anyone in it, or their alcohol for that matter.

Ivy Sauntered off, her steps slightly wobbly as she continued on a curved path to the bar. Her cheeks were flushed red and a little bit of drool dribbled from her mouth. Carmen watched her go, unsure of whether or not to follow her, all while being amused at her antics.

"And you, Miss Elena. You're with Kendall Cordoin?"

"Yeah. She's my boss."

"She's your boss?" The woman said, suspicion laced in her tone. 

"She calls the shots." She replied, shrugging. "I'm the security."

"I find that hard to believe." 

"Well you better. Because that's how it is." Carmen eyed a back door in the club, itching to make an escape. This woman was close to the truth, and surely would figure out their ruse if Carmen didn't get out of there. Now.

"That door back there? It leads to the balcony," Morowa mused.

"A flash of light reflected from one of the windows, red drone hovering at it's source. Zack's signal. "I suppose I'll go take a look. Excuse me. My boss will give you an offer."

"Till we meet again, then, Miss Sandiego."

Carmen halted in her tracks, her thundering heart dropping to her feet. What did she say? She could've sworn she'd misheard. Maybe it was just paranoia. Originating from. . . sleep deprivation. Yeah. That seemed logical.

Right?

"My name's San Ferdinand. Elena San Ferdinand," She replied, her voice shaky. 

"Of course. My mistake." The woman's voice was polite, as if she were addressing a social misstep. But her eyes were cold and knowing, her smile, sure and confident. 

She knew.

Carmen spotted Ivy teetering back towards their lounge, two drinks in hand. "Cordoin is back. I really should be going. It was good to meet you, Miss Addo."

"I am a valuable ally to have, Miss Sandiego."

"I think you have me confused for someone else."

She walked away briskly, afraid of being discovered. Carmen felt the security cameras in the corner zero in on her. The hubbub around her drowned away as she felt a pair of cat-like eyes following her.

How did she know?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

574 9 9
During one of V.I.L.Es heists in London, Zack ends up saving Sheenas life, something she never expected, and why are they both suddenly attracted to...
2.6K 58 14
[Batfam and The Justice League and Female OC and Damian Wayne x OC] Carmen Tetch was stolen from her life at an age far too young. It was all Talia A...
964 24 7
My favorite episode's from Carmen Sandiego in written form, describing most of it in Carmen's POV. Player's hidden veiw in certain episodes will be r...
2.4K 25 14
Scarlett freezes in fear. "Mamma?" she calls. Carmen looks at her daughter wondering if it's gonna be the last time she'll see her. "Scarlett, baby...