Token of Loyalty

By aolwrites

*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and no... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Map of My World
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen - Risks Outweigh Rewards
Chapter Sixteen - Found Friendship
Chapter Seventeen - United in One Cause
Chapter Eighteen - Together
Chapter Nineteen - Strong and Capable
Chapter Twenty - Blood for Blood
» Glossary
» Guide for My Languages
» Gharashian Pronunciations

Chapter Six

10.7K 679 82
By aolwrites

Sindri glared across to Hyacinth. Hyacinth grimaced before she turned away her gaze. Sindri chuckled, finding amusement in how she didn't dare to hide her disgust towards him. There were two types of people in Gharash: those that hid their disdain and those that wore it on their sleeve. Hyacinth was the latter, though she chose to fake it in her choice of words.

The two stood at the end of a hallway. An expansive windowpane took up the back wall, flooding in low moonlight. Ta'lat waited behind Sindri, guarding him from possible threats. Sindri wasn't concerned. He knew Eglantine was in a place of weakness and was pinned up against a wall with nowhere to go. To bow to Taryn's might was a mercy for them.

Sindri rested a hand on the hilt of his sword, then smirked. Hyacinth's gaze flickered from it back to his mocking lips, daring him to do something, anything. Sindri didn't though. He basked in the terror and loathing of others, in the fear and anxiety that his movements created. It fed his ancestral craving to bend and break those who went against the kingdom of Taryn. It was upon his family's honor that he invoked action against his enemies, and he would continue to do so until his death.

Sindri wouldn't allow the name of Taryn to be dragged through murk and mire.

"What is it that you wanted?" Sindri demanded. He had come this way at Hyacinth's behest, but grew impatient with every passing second. He had no time to play games nor dance around matters.

Hyacinth scoffed, offense in her tone. "I see you still lack manners–"

"I don't need your scolding. Tell me what it is you want, now," he interrupted.

Her lips set into a hard, straight line when she clenched her jaw. She narrowed her eyes, cutting them between him and Ta'lat before she spoke, "Get rid of your guard first. I will not speak in the presence of a lesser."

Sindri grumbled beneath his breath before he glanced over his shoulder, indicating with his eyes for Ta'lat to excuse himself. Ta'lat bowed out of courtesy then turned on his heel and strolled down the hallway they had come. Ta'lat wouldn't go far, Sindri had spoken with him prior and had made sure he knew to only move out of Hyacinth's view.

Then Sindri focused to Hyacinth once more, huffing. "Satisfied?"

"Hardly, but it shall do," Hyacinth replied. She then closed the gap between them, keeping a little over an arm's length distance from him as she did. "I wanted to speak to you about the token you're receiving, in hope's that it will bring peace between Eglantine and Taryn. He is the perfect representative of Eglantine, and should you desire it, he can be more."

Sindri raised an eyebrow, confusion amidst his mind. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Eglantine and Taryn have had bad blood since..." she began, then stopped and corrected herself, "For five years, it is time our people see eye to eye and bring prosperity together to Gharash."

Sindri stared blank and motionless before he suddenly began to break out into roaring laughter. His booming chuckle echoed through the corridor, grating on Hyacinth's nerves. She furrowed her brow and scowled.

"What about this is a laughing matter?" She snapped.

"It is amusing that you think I would believe any of that," he stated, settling from his bout of laughter. "Hyacinth, you have had it out for me since the day I killed your drunkard of a husband Raelinn. If I know you at all, it is that you will never let anyone get away with anything."

"And you know me so well," she grumbled, then sighed and added, "Pray tell, what do you believe my plan is?"

He shrugged. "I don't know, but I will find it out soon enough."

Seeing now that Hyacinth only wanted to convince Sindri of lies, he excused himself from her and began to leave. She sputtered out nonsensical sounds and words when he made his leave. She wanted him to stay and listen, to let her weave him into her scheme but he wouldn't have it. He had no interest in listening to anything she had to say unless it pertained to the truth. He wouldn't entertain her lies.

"Believe what you may, Sindri, but the boy, the token, I give you is my nephew and the son of the late queen Calista, Calanthe," she blurted out. He stopped in his tracks, listening over his shoulder. That grabbed his focus. "You will see for yourself that I am not giving you an elder or an advisor to infiltrate your court. Calanthe is a helpless child who will do anything and everything you ask of him. He is perfect for your interests."

He gritted his teeth. She toyed with his old habits, the one's from his younger days when he was known for swindling and swaying every young man that came across his path. It was how he had ended up with Hrafn, though Hrafn was different and still was. Sindri was stronger than his desires and was a family man now. He had no time for innocence and sweetness anymore. He was rugged and on a warpath and only craved the blood of his enemies.

"I am not the young man you used to know, Hyacinth," he growled when he turned to face her, eyes sharp and threatening. He saw now that she was playing with him, grasping at anything to grab his attention. "Sixteen years have passed since we knew one another, and it has been five since Raelinn's death. It is time you and the other royalty understand you are nothing but lambs to a slaughter and a footstool for my power. Nothing you say or do will ever convince me otherwise."

Hyacinth huffed before she gave him a cold shoulder, looking out the windows behind her. It was good to see she hadn't changed a bit in all these years. She was haughty, like every king and queen in the East and South-West of Gharash. Each and every one of them deserved to be knocked down a level and be put beneath the boot of Taryn. All of them were snakes, and the chief of the snakes was Aegar, King of Eadburga.

If Sindri cut off the head of the snake, then it would wither and die and all of Gharash would fall with Aegar. Then and only then would Sindri have all the power he craved and be able to rule Gharash as he desired. He would be able to keep Taryn safe and his family well cared for, just as Hrafn wanted, but first, he had to dismantle Aegar's control of Gharash.

He smirked in success before his lips fell into their usual rigid line when he went on his way. Hrafn by now had to be waiting for his arrival in the feast hall. He meandered down the hallway then rounded the corner, expecting to see Ta'lat waiting for him. He rolled his eyes when the guard was nowhere to be seen. Had Ta'lat missed the part where Sindri had told him earlier to waitback if Hyacinth's demanded it? It didn't matter, truthfully. Eglantine wasn't a place of concern for him, most of the peasants here were under Hyacinth's thumb and they would do nothing without her say. If she wanted him dead, he already would've been.

Without a worry, Sindri worked his way through the castle, going through the endless stark hallways. Servants passed with their heads hung low, only looking up to give a brief bow before continuing on their ways. Nobody stayed around long to get into trouble or cause any. Sindri disliked that the people had no freedom and were constantly walking on thin ice. It was kings and queens like Hyacinth who were the problem in Gharash.

Life had been drained from the kingdom long ago when the late queen Calista had perished in the woods of Solveig alongside her husband. Calanthe, the boy that Hyacinth had spoken of, was their only child, and from what Sindri had heard–which was miniscule–Calanthe was aloof and slow-witted. He was described as fair-skinned, ill-bodied, and having a thick, untamed head of hair. He was the shame of Eglantine, but Sindri wasn't quick to believe that. He knew Hyacinth better based upon his own interactions.

Until Sindri met Calanthe himself, he wasn't going to let the words of others impact his opinion.

After going up a flight of short stairs, Sindri spotted the familiar doors to the feast hall. One door had been propped open, allowing in a stream of guests and attendees. Sindri paid none of them mind, instead his eyes picked out another slithering snake. He recognized him as the guard who had escorted them to the feast hall earlier, though he couldn't place his name.

To the left of the doors, the guard loomed over a young woman. He had a hold of her wrist and showed no sign of letting go. The woman shrank against the wall she had been pinned against, defenseless in her state. Her hands were full as she carried a silver tray in her hands. The tray contained a pitcher and four goblets, they teetered and wobbled when she struggled against the guard's grip. Sindri balled his fists at his sides. He couldn't stand someone in a position of power using it to hurt those lesser than them.

In a matter of seconds, Sindri cleared the space between them. He reached out, grabbing the guard by the back of his collar. The guard jerked against his grip. Sindri tightened his hold before he yanked the guard away from the woman, forgetting the guard had a hold of the woman. The clattering of silver and tin against stone filled his ears. The woman gasped and fell to her knees at his feet. She used her apron to dab up the spilled wine, paying no mind to Sindri nor the guard.

"What are you doing?" He held the guard in place while glaring down at the woman. She trembled, unmoving from the floor at his feet. "Leave it. Someone else will clean it. Stand up and speak to me."

"I was inspecting the wine, sire," the guard stated, quick to his own defense.

"Is that what happened?" Sindri asked, an intense bark to his words. The woman nodded, but that would not suffice. "I want your words, not a head nod."

"Yes, s—sire. This was wine meant for the honored guests. It would've gone to–to Prince Calanthe... had I not spilled it," she stammered, frantic and answering as if she were on trial for a crime. "Jax is–is Calanthe's personal guard. He was... merely concerned for the prince's safety."

"Is that so, Jax?" Sindri pulled the collar of the man in question. Jax peered up at Sindri, his depths steeled and no trembling unlike the woman's. "Shouldn't you be nearby him then? Why are you out here if he is your duty?"

"Sire, King Hrafn dismissed my presence," Jax replied, making Sindri raise a questioning eyebrow. Jax cleared his throat then wriggled against Sindri's grip before he released it. Jax smoothed his ruffled tunic and straightened his posture before he boldly stated, "If you would be so kind, sire, as to permit me to return to my duties, I would be grateful."

Sindri huffed. He didn't believe Jax for a second. "Hrafn sent you away for a reason, whatever it is, it was just. You will clean up the mess you made this poor woman make then disappear from my sight." He leaned closer to Jax as his hand gripped his sword's hilt. Jax's gaze flickered to it then back to Sindri's glare. "I don't want to see you again tonight, are we clear?"

"Certainly, sire."

Sindri smirked and watched Jax closely. Jax moved aside, past Laina, and crouched. He picked up the pitcher, the goblets, and the tray, placing them together once more before he glanced to Laina. He pointed at her apron. Laina removed the piece of fabric from her waist, handing it over to him. As he began to soak up the wine, staining the cloth further with a deep, reddish purple, Sindri left him to grovel in his misery. He took interest in the maidservant instead and ushered her to follow him.

"What is your name?" he asked when they began to walk alongside one another.

She pulled her gaze away from Jax and up to Sindri, batting her eyes in disbelief. "Laina. I am Prince Calanthe's maidservant."

"I would like you to serve us tonight, Laina. If you perform well, I could arrange for you to accompany the prince on his journey to Taryn with us." He meant every word but Laina hesitated to say anything. She hung her head, only to lift it when he added, "Do not bother your conscience with Hyacinth nor other worthless scum. Whatever I say, goes."

She nodded in understanding, and for once Sindri accepted that as a form of an answer. The people of Eglantine were a strange folk, they either were filial to the point of betraying themselves or lions lying in wait to pounce. He readily looked forward to the rest of the night, hoping someone would give him a reason to make a scene. He wanted to ruin what little image those in power had left and leave them with the constant reminder that he, at any point in time, could wipe their existence from the face of Gharash.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.5K 1.2K 17
"It was the best orgasm I've ever had. It was so intense that for a second there, it felt like my soul would escape through my nipples." Luke and Dan...
154K 6.1K 14
The boy is completely shut down. A broken shell is what they turned him into, his human side nearly gone, the alpha in him tortured into full submiss...
291K 17.3K 20
My eyes open again when he pulls his thumb out of my mouth. I was staring at Thaddeus, wondering if he felt what I had felt. His gaze gave him away...
103K 7.7K 62
For a quick second Andra's gaze falls down to Minerva, after hearing her name. With the deep eyes strictly on her, Minerva can't help but blush and l...