Phoenix Fire (Book 2 in the W...

By regentwolf459

As the last of her breath leaves her lungs, Eden Rosalie Nova evolves into something new. Burning anger and d... More

Chapter One: On The Run
Chapter Two: A Secret Message
Chapter Three: You Again
Chapter Four: A Long Conversation
Chapter Five: The Dam Base
Chapter Six: Plan of Action Part One
Chapter Seven: Plan of Action Part Two
Chapter Eight: Flight Plan
Chapter Nine: All Roads Lead to Rome
Chapter Ten: Giovanni Graffanino
Chapter Eleven: On the Hunt
Chapter Twelve: House on the River
Chapter Thirteen: Little Red Boat
Chapter Fourteen: Reminiscence
Chapter Fifteen: The Demon Within
Chapter Sixteen: Extraction
Chapter Seventeen: Interrogation
Chapter Nineteen: Phoenix Fire
Chapter Twenty: Ashes to Ashes
Epilogue: Children of Prodigy

Chapter Eighteen: Candescence

513 23 1
By regentwolf459

I storm out of the building and back into the rain outside. I turn to Bucky who steps out after me. Unfurling my wings, I dart over to him and grab him by the strap of his bag pushing up into the air leaving behind a gust of dust. The look of utter surprise burns itself into my memory, if I wasn't so angry I'd find it funny. I lean back to allow him to get a better hold of me before gravity pulls at him. I change the position of my hands to where they're wrapped securely around him and, for the sake of aerodynamics, I hold his legs back by wrapping mine around them. I turn to where I can fly normally and hold Bucky against my chest with him facing me.

Fueled by fury, I waste no time in gaining altitude and speed. I push myself to my limit, putting everything I have into the push and pull of my winged movements. It's like rowing with a second set of arms. An ebb and flow of a set of back muscles make the first leg of the journey easy even with the painful, freezing rain.

"Better burn that image of my chest in your memory, it's the closest you're going to get to seeing them." I say, dropping my eyes down to see Bucky who is staring back at me.

"I wasn't looking." He says emotionlessly, to which I respond with an express that can be interpreted as 'are-you-for-real?'

"Uh huh." I say looking back to the vast sky ahead of me.

"What are you going to do when you get there?"

"Well it's safe to say that Giovanni knows that we're coming so whatever we do, he'll be prepared for it. So I honestly thought about just bursting through his doors and ripping his head off, but he'll be surrounded by guards. There's an underground passage that he will most likely be anticipating since I used it last time. We could land at the perimeter and get over the wall. No matter what choice we make, we will always be met with his guards."

"If he's expecting us to try and sneak in, then why not just drop down in the middle of the courtyard and draw him out."

"I draw him out and you take the shot?"

"Yeah, I have a pistol in my bag."

"Sounds good to me."

It takes several hours to reach Rome but spotting Giovanni's villa takes seconds. The off white color of his stone mansion, the olive trees lining his property, the beautiful marble water fountain all are trademarks of Giovanni Graffanino. I start the descent at a quick pace to avoid being seen as much as possible. I glance down to Bucky non verbally asking if he's ready to drop. He nods and I release him in the shadow by the house. I turn to land in the middle of the courtyard where the hidden entrance is. I land in a kneeling position and look around me for his guards.

Crouched, I move forward towards the house. The sound of his glass double doors opening on the second floor, snags my attention. I jerk my head up at the same time as I signal to Bucky to find cover. I scramble towards the shadows but I'm halted by Giovanni shining a spotlight on me. Exactly where I want you Giovanni.

"I was wondering how long it would take for you to get here." Giovanni says with a nauseating smirk on his once handsome face. I stand up straight and stare into the eyes of my past lover. He has two guards on each side of him, rendering it impossible to shoot him through his guards from any angle unless you're standing where I am.

"I live to impress Gio." I say shortly as I narrow my eyes at him.

"Where's your friend?" He asks, emphasizing on 'friend' with disdain.

"Aw Giovanni, are you... jealous?" I say sarcastically.

"Tagliare le cazzate." Cut the bullshit. He says, anger written all over his face.

"I came alone." I lie, my eyes never leaving his.

"Don't lie to me, zuia." bitch. He says spitting his curse at me.

"Cazzo si!" Fuck you. I return, my anger growing. I clench my fists tightly as I try to keep my anger in check. It's hard to fathom how we got here, how my one act caused all of this. It wasn't a choice I could make, whether his father lived or died. His death was decided for him and it wasn't me who made the call. Why can't he see that, why go through all of this for revenge against me. The corporation who's guilty has fallen why can't that be enough... I pulled the trigger on his father, but the trigger was pulled on me to do it.

"Catch her and bring her to the cellar." Giovanni says glowering at me before making a signal with his hand for his agents to grab me. I run and jump up, flapping my wings to bring me up to the balcony. Giovanni's eyes widen as he rushes to get inside and close the doors. I land on the balcony and shove my wings open wide to drive the agents off of the marble platform. I never break eye contact with Giovanni as I attempt to break the glass doors open. The sound of a rifle firing draws my eyes from Giovanni. An explosive round bursts through the glass and hits me in the chest, sending me soaring back over the edge of the balcony.

I skid across the grass leaving a deep indentation on the ground from my fall. My chest is gaping open from the blast and my body works as fast as it can to regenerate flesh to cover the open wound. The pain doesn't register and I lay gasping for until the skin knits itself back together.I make a mental note to adamantly avoid those bullets. It only took a few minutes but that was enough time for several groups of agents to make their journey to capture me.

Bucky comes from out of the shadows behind a cluster of four agents on their way to me. He stealthily closes in on them and grabs one of the agents near the back of the cluster, wrestling the rifle from her hands he uses the butt to hit her in the head before turning his attention to the other three who have now turned around. He uses his metal arm to punch one in the chest sending them soaring backwards toward me. I grab his collar and force him into the concrete pathway, fracturing the area around him from the collision. I snap my head up and watch as Bucky easily defeats the cluster without taking any damage.

I turn around to face a line of agents following Giovanni's orders. I pull my wings out and stretch them out before starting to run toward them. Picking up speed I close in on them, they fire shots at me and I drop down in a spinning motion. I keep my wings low as I spin, knocking them off of their feet. Standing up I rush toward them as they attempt to scramble back up. Just as they start to rise up I hold my wings level and dive toward them. The blunt force of the heavy bony ridge making contact into their chests leaves them rendered useless for the time being.

I stand up and turn around casting my eyes back to Bucky. He quickly tilts his head and very briefly widens his eyes in an impressed expression. I look behind him and see a flock of agents running straight for him, pulling their weapons out.

"Behind you!" I shout to him before sprinting in his direction to help fend them off. He turns around and charges at them, deflecting their bullets with his metal hand. He grabs the first agent closest to him by his rifle strap and belt, lifting him off the ground with ease. He uses the agent as a shield before hurling forcefully at the rest of the herd, knocking some of them down like bowling pins.

By the time I reach him the courtyard starts to flood with hundreds of agents, and our chances of reaching Giovanni starts to decline.

"I got the three on the left closest to us." I say, panting from the fight.

"I'll cover you." He replies, equally as exhausted as I am. I charge forward, dropping low I pull one wing out and sweep at their feet, knocking them down in a straight line. Bucky swings his metal arm, punching the one in front but sending all three of them flying backwards. One of the agents points their explosive rifle at us and begins to pull the trigger.

"JAMES!!!" I scream out before grabbing him and wrapping my wings in front of him to absorb the blast from the rifle. The explosion knocks up six feet back with Bucky landing on top of me. The wind is knocked from my lungs and I struggle for air as I push him up off of me. He stands up first before reaching for me. I grasp his hand and stand shakily.

I feel wetness on my wings and look to them to see the damage. The cream colored feathers are soaked in blood and I check over Bucky to make sure it's not his. I'm so congested with shock I don't realize that it's my own. My wings have been damaged so severely that chunks of feathers and skin were missing. In my state of trauma, I failed to see the skin and cloth hanging loosely from my legs, nor did I notice the pain from the charred skin and muscle on my back.

"Eden, are you-are you okay? You're covered in blood." He says panting while he looks over my shock encased form. I look behind him and see the same agent pull the trigger again, but I'm too slow to react.

"WATCH OU-" I yell but it's too late, his body is blown back and he slides harshly across the ground before his head is rammed into the marble water fountain with a sickening sound.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 371 15
~~Completed~~ The Avengers find a girl being experimented on at a Hydra base. They never would have imagined that she would have ties to Tony's past...
20.9K 689 64
[COMPLETED] "Its you and me. Us...forever. No matter the year, time, past...future." -------------------------------------- Layla Black is a descende...
30K 412 31
She's his biggest enemy, his target, and his one goal he can't seem to complete. She taunts him everytime he comes chasing but she's just too quick...
Dangerous By <3

Fanfiction

471K 9.9K 26
"I'm dangerous" "So am I" ---- Y/n's life was hard enough as it is, hiding from Hydra isn't exactly a walk in the park. But now she's somehow joine...