atlas ↠ b.blake

skyelines által

❝ everyone from my time is dead. i don't belong here; i don't belong anywhere. ❞ Ninety-seven years ago, the... Több

↠ cast
↠ prologue
↠ part one
1 ↠ the sleeping beauty
2 ↠ a new earth
3 ↠ last words
4 ↠ peace is a foreign place
5 ↠ the healer
6 ↠ captivity
7 ↠ the weight of the world
8 ↠ a commander's word
9 ↠ this isn't home
10 ↠ the burden of the dead
11 ↠ reality sucks
12↠ ascende superius
↠ part two
13↠ i remember
14↠ to command death
15↠ brotherly love
17 ↠ boiling tensions

16↠ the thirteenth clan

883 58 14
skyelines által

     CLARKE CONTINUED WITH HER stubborn isolation for a week; refusing to talk to anyone except Lane. When Lane went to see her, she explained more and more about her story and how she met everyone in Arkadia. Lane could tell Clarke was just as strong-willed as she was, and Lane respected that about her. She understood why people turned to her as a leader. 

     Currently, Lane waited for Lexa in the Throne Room, knowing there were many important matters to discuss, one of them being the summit happening in twelve hours. Abby and Kane were right outside of Polis, ready to enter the city and negotiate a lasting treaty for peace. Lane's head turned when the doors were pulled open for Lexa. Her face was buzzing with stress. These past few days had been tense for everyone, but especially Lexa. Almost every single one of the Ambassadors disapproved of her acceptance of Skaikru. She faced constant questions. Lane didn't know how she got through each day without pulling her hair out.

     "The Council might actually pass out tonight when they hear our newest idea," Lexa grabbed a cup of wine. "Making Skaikru the thirteenth clan will only work if Clarke agrees to bow to me at the summit."

     "She will," Lane answered. "She'll realize this is what's best for Arkadia. If they join your coalition, no one would dare move against them." Lexa walked to the balcony with Lane close behind, "You and I both know a peace treaty would never be enough. Not with Azgeda so close to starting a war."

     Lexa placed her hands on the rails, "I fear war with them is inevitable."

     "Maybe," Lane answered. "But they wouldn't succeed; not with all the other clans fighting for you."

     Lexa's green eyes looked at the brunette as silence overtook them for a moment, "You've adapted to this world fast."

     "Well, I didn't really have a choice, did I?" Lane said to her. 

     "You're a survivor, Lane. You've endured so much already, yet your strength doesn't waver," Lexa smiled lightly. "I understand why Hagen likes you so much."

     Yeah, that was why he hadn't spoken to her for a week, "I don't know about that."

    "He's not had the easiest life," Lexa gazed back to the city below them. "His father slept with a slave, Hagen's mother, and then when Queen Nia found out, she had the slave executed. She always resented Hagen. She even had his wife murdered when they tried to leave," Lane processed Lexa's words. She felt bad for feeling so angry towards him these past few days. "When I became Commander, I let him live in Polis, and soon he proved to be a valuable asset to my Council. Just as you have proven to be."

     Everything became clear to Lane; why Hagen always turned away when asked personal questions. He had suffered just as much pain as Lane. Maybe even more. 

     "You took a risk by trusting me," Lane grabbed Lexa's attention, "and I'm grateful for that risk."

     Lexa turned back to the Throne Room, "Hopefully, tonight our efforts to unite my people and Skaikru will begin a new era of peace between us, and you won't have to worry about coming back and forth so much." It was true that Lane had helped Lexa with her idea to bring the sky people into the coalition. She advised her on what the best way to do it would be since she knew how it would probably be received by both parties, especially with the recent news that the sky people had moved thirty-six people into Mount Weather. "Although, Hagen and I would be sad to see you go."

     "Titus would probably love it," Lane said with a smile. "That man can't stand me."

      "He doesn't appreciate your jokes," yeah, Lane may have said a bald joke here and there to the man, but why did he have to hang it over her head? 

     Lexa had another meeting to attend, leaving Lane with the freedom to spend the rest of her day how she wanted. Well, until the summit later tonight which would definitely cause an uproar with some of the ambassadors that had no clue what to expect. 

     In her chest, Lane felt something pulling her to return with Kane and Abby to Arkadia after the summit, but if Skaikru became the thirteenth clan, Lane didn't know what would be expected of her. A deep longing for a certain place to call home entered her mind. Arkadia felt like the closest thing she had to a home because of her friends, but what about her life in Polis? Which one would she choose if she had to? 

     At the end of the hallway, Lane spotted Hagen. He stood with confidence as he talked to a group of guards. She guessed he was telling them their posts for the summit. Lane approached them, her stomach churning with sudden nerves. She was tired of the awkwardness and the silence. She wasn't going to let him get away with not speaking to her any longer. 

     His blue eyes darted away from the guards as she stopped with her arms crossed over her chest. An annoyed expression was present on Lane's face as she watched him send the group away.

     "What is it?" he asked. "I'm busy."

     "You've got to be kidding me," Lane let out a laugh of unbelief. "You didn't seem too busy last week. You were literally attached to my hip all day, and now you're not even speaking to me?"

     Hagen sighed, "Look, I shouldn't have let things go as far as they did at the waterfall. We got caught up in the moment, and that's all."

     That's all? Lane couldn't believe it. She actually thought that maybe he had feelings for her, "Okay, well I guess you won't care if I leave after the summit tonight then, right?"

     She saw a tiny hint of hurt bloom in his eyes. She knew he wanted to tell her to stay, but he was too proud to do that, "Do what you want, science girl. It's your life."

     Hagen started to walk away, but Lane said one last thing, "You don't have to pretend with me, you know," he kept his back turned to her. "You're pushing me away because what happened at the waterfall made you realize you can be vulnerable again, and you're afraid of that."

     A spark of hope that he would turn around flickered in Lane's chest, but after a few unsure moments, he left the hallway, leaving Lane with the lonely walls and her thoughts as she tried to ignore the painful clenching feeling in her heart.

↠ ↠ ↠

     When Abby and Kane arrived in Polis, they spent their time walking around the markets and taking in the grand sight of the capitol building. The evening rays of sunlight peeked into through the open windows, creating a peaceful warmth that Lane enjoyed. She waited for Kane and Abby as they were escorted up the many floors in the man-powered elevator. She was also brought news that Clarke agreed to bow to Lexa at the summit. Everything appeared to be going as planned. 

     The door slid open, causing Lane to turn her head as she saw Kane and Abby walk into the room. Both of them gave Lane a friendly smile. 

      "It's good to see you again, Lane," Abby said. "Have you talked to Clarke at all?"

     Lane nodded, "Yes, she should be here soon."

     Right on cue, the doors opened again, and Clarke entered. Abby's eyes were overcome with relief as she quickly walked to her daughter, embracing her tightly. Lane was happy for the two of them as she wished she could hug her own mother again. 

     Breaking the happy moment seemed like one of Clarke's specialties. She pulled back from Abby after a few seconds with a solemn look on her face, "I have something to tell you, and we don't have much time."

     "Wait a minute," Abby told her. "Just let me look at you."

     Kane stepped forward, placing a hand on Abby's shoulder, "We'll have plenty of time to catch up when we get back home."

     "The Commander is changing the terms of the summit," Clarke began as she gave Lane a quick glance.

     "Is this because of Mount Weather?" Kane asked with alarm.

     "This is because of the Ice Nation," Clarke answered. 

     "They're growing bolder every day," Lane looked between the three people. "They wouldn't honor a peace treaty."

     Clarke nodded, "They want Lexa dead. They want to take over the coalition." 

     Abby shook her head, "That's Lexa's concern, not ours."

     "No, Abby," Kane understood the stakes. "If Lexa falls, the coalition shatters, and there's no way we avoid that war," he turned his attention back to Lane and Clarke. "You said there were new terms?"

     "We become the thirteenth clan," Clarke told them.

     Kane and Abby exchanged a look of concern as Kane stepped away, "Thirteenth clan, what does that mean? That we follow Lexa?" Abby asked.

       "Yes."

     "We came here to negotiate a treaty."

      "This is our Unity Day, Mom," Clarke said with desperation in her tone. "You can be the thirteenth station, or you can be the thirteenth clan." 

     Abby considered it for a moment, turning to Kane to get his opinion, "Marcus?"

     "Clarke's right," he said. "I've seen the Ice Nation army, and we don't stand a chance against them. We need to do this."

     Lane nodded, "This is the best path to peace for everyone. Once you're in the coalition, you'll have the support you need if Azgeda chooses to move against Arkadia."

     Abby moved her eyes to Lane, convinced that this was the right path to take. She turned her to her daughter, "So we become the thirteenth clan. Then what? What's gonna stop the Ice Nation?"

     Clarke shot a glance at Lane with a clever look in her eyes as she said one word, "Wanheda."

     As the sun continued to lower in the sky, Lane got ready for the summit in her room. She looked at the long, black dress that had been laid out for her. Did she have to wear that? She examined the material; the way the open back was so neatly crafted. She couldn't remember the last time she wore a dress. Lane slipped it on experimentally, enjoying the way the soft fabric feathered against her smooth skin. 

     Two of Lexa's female servants entered the room. They sat Lane down in front of the mirror, painting intricate makeup on her face that made her features stand out. Their hands wove her hair into so many braids, and she had no idea how she was going to get all of them undone later. Lastly, she put her feet into some black sandals, and then, she faced herself in the mirror.

     Lane's eyes widened. She barely recognized herself. The dress snaked along her hourglass figure, and her makeup made her look fierce and put together. She liked the intense way her eyes glimmered with the paint around them. Walking around like that, Lane looked like she could do anything she wanted. 

     She arrived in the Throne Room, every pair of eyes locking onto her as she walked through the crowd that had already gathered. Abby and Kane stood to the side with ambassadors and council members all around them. Lexa was in her usual place with Hagen, Indra, and Titus beside her. Lane felt Hagen's stare focus on her. He looked over her with an awed look in his expression. Lane turned away from him, standing beside Abby as they waited for Clarke. 

     The mood in the room shifted as the guards by the doors pulled each one open. In the background, a member of Trikru who had a majestic voice began singing one of the grounder's traditional songs. Clarke walked through, wearing a green dress that favored Lane's. Her face was painted also, and her blonde hair was pulled away from her face in complicated braids. 

     She walked along the red carpet that led to the Throne where Lexa stood. The soft candlelight illuminating her face. Everyone watched in anticipation as Clarke stopped in front of Lexa. She stood still in silence for a few seconds as she looked at Lexa. Then, she slowly bowed, causing gasps and murmuring to go throughout the room. 

     Soon after Clarke, several others followed. Lane looked around as the whole room bowed to Lexa. She joined in with Abby and Kane as they each went to one knee and lowered their heads in respect. 

     "Hail warriors of the twelve clans," Lexa called out to her people.

     "Hail Commander of the blood," the whole room responded.

     "Rise," Lane lifted her head as she stood. Clarke walked away from the throne, taking a spot next to Lane on the side. "We welcome Skaikru to our halls in the spirit of friendship and harmony, and we welcome Clarke kom Skaikru, legendary Wanheda, mountain slayer. The reason for this summit has changed. We are not here to negotiate a treaty with Skaikru," Whispers circled the room. "but rather to initiate them into the coalition." The clan members clamored with uncertainty, and some with anger, but they had just witnessed Wanheda bow before their Commander. No one was going to question her. "To symbolize this union, the leader of Skaikru must bear our mark."

     Beside Lane, Abby and Kane turned to one another. Abby leaned towards Kane, speaking lowly, "The honor should be yours."

     Kane nodded with a grateful look on his face as Lane saw a tribal brand being pulled out of the fire, "Present your arm," Lexa said.

     Kane eyed the symbol with slight hesitation, but he stuck out his arm bravely. Lane could almost feel his pain as she heard the simmering from the burning symbol being pressed against his skin. 

     Then, everyone in the room turned their heads when the door busted open. Lane couldn't believe her eyes when Bellamy entered dragging along one of the guards at gunpoint.

     "Bellamy?" Lane asked in shock. She spotted Octavia and Pike close behind him. What the hell were they doing?

     "What is the meaning of this?" Titus asked as everyone looked around in panic and confusion. 

     "The summit is a trap," Bellamy stated as he shoved the guard forward. What? No it wasn't. he turned to where Lane and the others stood. "We need to get you out of here."

     Clarke moved in front of Lexa, "What the hell is going on?"

     Lexa had anger in her green gaze as she looked at Bellamy, "I don't know."

     "It's the Ice Nation," he told the room. 

     The Ice Nation ambassador stepped to the center of the room, "These allegations are on outrage. The Ice Nation never stormed this summit with weapons, breaking our laws, that was the Skaikru!"

     "We're right about this," Pike said with his rifle close to his chest as he looked at Kane. "The two guards you left behind are dead already. We need to go now."

     Lexa's voice boomed over his, "How did you come by this information?"

     The room waited for an answer in anticipation as Bellamy looked around, seeming to not find the person he was relying on to vouch for him.

     "Where the hell is Echo?" Octavia asked. Echo? Who was that? Lane was beyond confused. "Bell, maybe we were wrong about this."

     "I don't understand," Bellamy said under his breath. 

     Kane walked to him, grabbing his gun, "Stand down."

     Bellamy's brown eyes finally found Lane, standing right behind Kane as she watched him hand over his rifle. Relief fluttered across his face. Then, right before anyone could proceed, Raven's static-covered voice echoed in the room from Bellamy's radio:

     "Bellamy. Bellamy, come in," Bellamy unhooked his radio from his belt. "The grounders attacked Mount Weather."

     A grim expression covered his face, "What are you talking about?"

     "It's gone," Lane heard her emotional-filled voice waver. She realized that at least forty people were in the Mountain, and Raven was saying that they were all dead because of a grounder-attack. "They're all gone. Sinclair and I are the only ones left. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

     The other end went quiet as the news sunk in. The Ice Nation ambassador directed his words at the sky people, "You should have never moved your people back into Mount Weather," so it was the Ice Nation, after all. Why did it always have to be them? Lane's jaw clenched as anger boiled in her stomach. "The Ice Nation did what Lexa was too weak to do."

     The ambassador faced Lexa, who had become furious, "This is an act of war. Sentries, arrest the Ice Nation delegation!" Lexa's guard acted immediately. "Including the Prince." Roan was dragged away with the rest of his people as Lane looked over at Hagen. She couldn't read his expression as he watched his brother being pulled out of the room. 

     Abby looked at Kane, "We need to get home. If they attacked Mount Weather, Arkadia could be next."

     This was it. Would Lane go back to Arkadia with them, or would she stay in Polis with Hagen and Lexa? She was free to choose for herself. 

     "Go. Marshal your forces," Lexa told them. "We'll avenge the attack together."

     "I'll escort them," Indra said from behind Kane.

     Lane moved through the crowd, stepping past people to get to Hagen. He stood, sword in hand, as his blue eyes caught hers. His gaze softened ever so slightly when he looked at her. 

     "I know. You're leaving," She gave him a small nod. His eyes traveled to Bellamy as he tried to convince Clarke to come with them, "for him?"

     "Hagen, don't make this harder than it needs to be," Lane said. "I'm leaving because I don't have much of a reason to stay with Clarke as Arkadia's ambassador."

     He took a step closer to her, "You'll be safer here."

     The look in Hagen's eyes tempted her to give in, but she shook her head, "I'm sorry."

     Lane turned around, feeling a part of her heart yelling at her not to walk away, "Lane," she stopped, noticing Bellamy waiting for her at the door as Hagen grabbed her hand. Her grey eyes flickered back to his, her heartbeat escalating from his closeness. He took her face in his hands. "Just promise me you'll come back."

     "I promise," she let out quietly, staring into his gaze for a few more moments before turning around and joining Bellamy at the door. 

     They began walking towards the elevator, but Lane had a small hint of doubt in her mind, thinking that it might not be as easy is it seemed to keep her promise.

↠ ↠ ↠

remember to vote and leave your thoughts in the comments :)

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

25K 933 66
You want a battle? I'll give you a war. A dying Ark sends 100 juvenile delinquents down to earth to see if its survivable after the nuclear war sever...
12.4K 410 20
"No risk, no story. Right?" 100 prisoners have been sent to the ground, including Willow Hennessy. The redhead has never let "rules" get in her way...
9.3K 289 61
Over the years werewolves and vampires were cursed to roam the world, living eternally, fighting amongst themselves, eventually going into hiding. 97...
25.7K 536 18
When she was little, people told her stories about how fire fell from the sky destroying everything and everyone on Earth. And up from the ground, a...