The Merciless

By RuthAMyers

The mess of Love attracts until it consumes them all. Raylene Walker had too many people left to protect, too... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 2: Hope
Chapter 3: Transfixed
Chapter 4: Honey and Amber
Chapter 5: Rewritten Stars
Chapter 6: The challenge
Chapter 7: Thoughts
Chapter 8: The Unexpected
Chapter 9: The Caught Lie
Chapter 10: Languages
Chapter 12: Revealed Secrets
Chapter 13: No Trash Talks
Chapter 14: Pests
Chapter 15: Mother's Game
Chapter 16: Fighters
Chapter 17: Panic
Chapter 18: Lia
Ira
Chapter 19: Roommates
Chapter 20: Lies and Bruises
Chapter 21: Presence
Chapter 22: Bad Dreams
Chapter 23: Prank Wars
Chapter 24: United Voices
Chapter 25: Safe
Chapter 26: Elegant Secrets
Chapter 27: Alive
Chapter 28: Timid Moments Of Happiness
Chapter 29: Traps Or Faith
Chapter 30: Unexpected Horrors
Chapter 31: Adorable Assurance
Chapter 32: Light in Darkness
Chapter 33: Unwanted Promises
Chapter 34: Gone
Chapter 35: The Traitor
Chapter 36: The Stupid
Chapter 37: Unforeseen
Chapter 38: Why?
Chapter 39: Fear
Chapter 40: Blink
Chapter 41: Revelation
Chapter 42: Trust
Chapter 43: Done
Chapter 44: Hell
Chapter 45: War
Epilogue
Author's Note
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!

Chapter 11: Heart Does Go On

98 16 16
By RuthAMyers

Her fingers let go of the cold, hard doorknob as she closed the door behind her. Her body lacked his presence and just for a moment, she felt lost. Trying her best to shake herself out of her emotions, she put her hand in her back pocket and removed her earphones. Placing them in her ear, she played her songs. As loud as a lion's roar the music blasted through her ears, drowning out all her thoughts and feelings. Coincidentally, one of her favourites started to play and she smiled. Considering her situation before this song seemed unusual, 'Back to you' By Selena Gomez.

She chuckled lightly, a tint of pink threatening to rise in her cheeks, but she pushed it away, eager to get away and do something less cheesy. She rubbed her cheeks to remove any hint of the blush from them and began walking in the cafeteria's direction. It was finally lunch and later she had Physical Education, she thought, sighing through her nose. Fitness was one of the significant activities she had hoped to be a part of. Volleyball was one of her best activities. She silently hoped for any chance of playing it.

As she walked past the students in the hallway, her head hung low, and her eyes remained on her phone. Increasing the brightness of the screen, she texted Cameron.

Ray: Hey, where you at?

Cameron: I'm in the cafeteria. Got your coffee and pizza, get here fast or you would find your food magically gone!

Ray: You can have it, Cam.

Cameron: You better get your ass here Walker, I know you haven't eaten anything since morning

Ray: How in the world would you know dumbass

Cameron: A little birdie told me.

Ray: You're dead Williams. Do you get me? Dead

Ray: You god damning stalker

Cameron: This number will no longer respond to your unwanted texts'

Ray: Idiot

Ray shook her head in frustration, switching off her phone and placing it back in her back pocket. She just straightened and walked ahead, focusing on the music that blasted through her ears rather than the methods Cameron could have used to remember her schedule. Sometimes when she concentrated too much, she could feel the way the vibrations roamed across her body. But she always shook herself out of that feeling, she couldn't afford to fall into another world, when she had so much to worry about in this one. Stalking ahead she increased her pace as the cafeteria came into view.

Avoiding all the eye contact, she dissolved herself in her phone as she walked towards her usual spot besides Cameron. A small motion attracted her attention and she glanced up in confusion to find him waving at her frantically, attracting all the eyes of the cafeteria. She frowned at him and willed him to stop, her eyes narrowing. He just grinned at her and pointed at the food counter. There lay a batch of hot, newly baked cookies, on a platter following a huge line of students. She glared at him and shook her head, no. He joined his hands and placed them over his head, mouthing 'Please' and acting as if he were desperate. She just showed him the middle finger and got into the line.

She stood for at least 10 minutes, her patience wavering with every passing second. At last, she thought as she was handed over 5 bloody cookies. Thanking the cook in front of her, she turned to return to the table when she heard someone call out her name. But before she could respond, or even look in the voice's direction, she heard a whisper in her ear,

"This is payback."

Ray turned around, her eyes glinting dangerously as she felt something hot slash against her lower back. She didn't as much gasp at the sudden hot pain and turned around, only to be greeted by a very amused Bianca Smith. She was smirking, her eyes upon hers and her hands resting against her hip.

Ray clenched her teeth but willed herself to not show any emotion, as Bianca held a half-filled cup of coffee. She was reachable, Ray thought, her palms forming fists and her legs holding their stance. She could take her down. But as Ray's eyes roamed she realised with irritation that the whole cafeteria was now dead silent. Everyone waited for her reaction, their attention only fixated on her. She would give them nothing.

Instead, she did what she thought was best in this situation. She removed her jacket and tied it across her waist, hiding the stain on her jeans and her shirt but showing the unhealed and uncovered wound on her hand. Bianca's eyes widened as her eyes made contact with the dark wound and Ray knew, that she was afraid. The girl could be an accomplice but she had no idea what Raylene Walker was capable of. Gasps and shouts were heard as everyone saw the cut, but no one dared speak up their mind. Ray was a wild card here and no one knew if she was in the right or the wrong.

But Ray kept her eyes on Bianca, ignoring everything and everyone else. Bianca frowned and sighed in annoyance as Ray showed no emotion, her surprise dying away immediately. She looked down into her cup and smirked. Within a second her hand was moving and the hot coffee was thrown in her direction. Ray stepped back without any problems and she saw as the coffee sprayed all over the ground. Her rage spiking now, she turned towards the food counter and smiled at the lady inside. The lady smiled back at her in confusion, her eyes betraying her as she saw the students move slightly away from Ray.

"Can I have a coffee please?" She whispered, not bothered by the fact that some people busy were running away from her. She was used to it.

The lady handed her a cup and turned around to call the teachers in the facility to diffuse the situation. No need for that, Ray thought as she took the cup in her hand and thanked the gods for it being cold. She didn't want to burn Bianca. If she did, she would have a larger price to pay, and a whole lot of troubles to sort through. She walked towards Bianca and without giving her a chance to react she poured the coffee over her, drenching her from head to toe. Ray kept the cup on Bianca's head and took a step back, eyeing her masterpiece. That was when she leaned forward and showed Bianca her actual rage,

"I thought I told you to stay away from me." she said, her voice quiet yet menacing, "Don't make me repeat myself." and with that, Ray took another step away from her and let out a tired sigh.

The whole cafeteria was no longer dead silent, the silence broken for a few whispers, for a few words. Ray didn't have the heart to leave her like that, knowing that Bianca was not worth her efforts. Walking towards the food counter again she talked to Mrs Johnson.

Ray turned around in a while, a white towel lying in her hands. She walked towards Bianca whose eyes were suspicious of Ray's unexpected gesture. In their world, every action held a meaning. Every gesture held a favour. This time, Ray would go for the favour.

She handed the towel to Bianca and said, "Don't forget this." she warned, "I don't like to hurt people Bianca. That's your job." she whispered, knowing those who might hear might find her merciless, but she hadn't known life with mercy.

After eyeing her warily Ray turned around, immediately finding everyone's curious gazes turned towards her. Her eyes narrowed and she felt a sense of unease come over her, her hands reaching out to grab her phone. But her actions were interrupted as a voice behind her bellowed,

"SHOW'S OVER PEOPLE!"

She turned around to find Angel and his crew standing behind. She saw Mia eyeing Bianca with annoyance and everyone else looking at her with an odd look in their eyes. Luke Hunt had bellowed the statement she understood, as everyone had glanced at him and continued with their conversations.

She nodded her head at them, as a form of appreciation, and without waiting for their reply she turned and stalked towards an amused Cameron. He was grinning at her as she neared the table. She grinned right back and hi-fived him, immediately perking up. She knew he wouldn't bring Bianca up now. There were too many eyes on them.

"That's my Ray. Handling situations like a mature human being." he said. To contradict his statement she stuck out her tongue and waved her fingers. Cameron rolled his eyes, and as if suddenly realizing something his facial expressions changed from amusement to annoyance. All of sudden, he was glaring at her through his dark eyes.

Ray furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "What?" she asked, not knowing what could piss him off now.

He raised his eyebrows and took a hold of her injured arm. She hissed as the pain sliced through her arm again, realising what he was implying with his glares. He took a look at the burning wound and clicked his tongue in disapproval. She tried smiling at him to ease his leashed anger but was only was greeted by his increased annoyance. She frowned at him, trying her best to calm him down,

"Come on it's not that bad!" she said, immediately regretting her words as the rage in his eyes spiked.

"It's not BAD? DO YOU EVEN KNOW THE DEFINITION OF BAD?" he yelled at her, rising in his seat and slamming in palms against the table, "THIS IS WORSE THAN BAD. AND TO TOP IT OFF YOU DECIDED TO COVER IT UP! It could get infected, you know?" Ray opened her mouth to reply, but Cameron continued,

"No, you don't know. RAY, What the hell were you thinking? Apart from that, there's the wound on your forehead and you're acting like some immature idiot, not showing it to me. What if it gets worse Walker? What are you going to do then? I'm worried, god damn it, you can't just jump into situations like that alone. If the others-"

"Cameron!" Ray yelled for the third time, she too, upon her feet with her palms braced against the wooden table. She knew everyone's eyes were on them and she turned her head in their directions and glared. Almost immediately the eyes averted and then Ray was facing Cameron again,

"Calm down. Okay? I am alright. It's not much and you know I have been through worse." She said, taking deep breaths to calm herself down.

He did the same as he sat back down on his chair with a frustrated sigh, "But that doesn't mean you get careless. What if something serious happened to you?"

"Don't worry about it too much Cam." Ray said, a smile grazing her lips as she too took a seat in front of him,

"If something does happen to me, I know you'll be there to find a good place to bury me in." She said, letting out a laugh at herself and at how stupid her words sounded. Unfortunately, Cameron did not find it funny in any sort of way as he leaned forward and smacked her across her head, being careful of her covered wounds. Ray immediately stopped laughing and glared at Cameron. "Hey!" she said as she rubbed the sore spot.

Their glaring eyes met and for that moment it was like they were kids again. Both of them were unwavering and none of them willing, to give up. But as usual, there was always some distraction. Some part of reality that brought their crazy friendship goals to ruin. In this case, it was slightly better than the usual problems. Cameron lasted until Michelle showed up beside them, her face scrunched into a confused state and her eyes wide. Her bright presence distracted Cameron and Ray won.

"Ha!" Ray said, swaying from side to side, satisfied with her glory.

Cameron's face fell and a sudden gloominess taking over his expression. Michelle looked at them, confusion lurking in her light teak wood eyes. She shook herself out of the confusion and took a seat next to Cameron, her hand patting Cameron's shoulder to cheer him. With surprise, Ray noticed him brighten up ever so lightly as she sat. Her eyes widened and a crazy grin took over her face. She knew what was happening.

Noticing almost immediately, Michelle removed her hand off his shoulder and turned her eyes upon Ray. Cameron followed her actions and narrowed his eyes,

"What?" both of them asked at the same time.

Ray shook her head but kept on smiling. Awww, she thought, deciding to think of a name for their fluffy relationship. Michon? Camelle? Elleon? Goodness! She sucked at ship names. She sighed, but her sadness didn't last long as the sheer thought of them being together, made her perk up. It was adorable.

"So quit smiling like that. You're creeping us out." Cameron said, his eye narrowed in suspicion. She started grinning and Cameron was getting agitated by the second as he tried his best to understand what she meant. Ray looked at Michelle and winked, her thoughts running in all directions. Michelle was still confused, but Cameron understood. He knew his best friend too well. He narrowed his eyes, but a slight shade of pink touched his cheeks and Ray's grin widened.

"Don't you dare." Cameron said, threatening to stand up as he placed his hands against the table, "Ray shut your mouth."

Ray grinned closing her eyes after shooting Michelle a playful wink. She lay her hand on her chest. And then she began,

"Every night in my dreams." she sang, her laughs blooming through each word.

"I see you, I feel you" She continued as Cameron got up.

"That is how I know you go on

Far across the distance

And spaces between us

You have come to show you go on."

Ray cleared her throat as the chorus came in. She was teasing both of them and it was working. She saw the blush rise in Michelle and Cameron's cheeks as she continued, a playful tone to the evening. It felt good, to be smiling, to be laughing alongside her friends.

"Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on

Once more you open the door

And you're here in my heart

And my heart will go on and on"

"Ok, that's it!" Cameron said as he slammed his hands against the table and got up. Ray burst out laughing and fell out of her chair. Cameron tried to catch her as he jumped over the table, apologized to Michelle, but she was already up and running. She ran at full speed, happiness blooming through her, her laughs loud and stupid. As the hallway came into her view and she finally looked up, she found a person with his back to her. Her eyes widened and she stopped within her tracks, digging her heels into the floor. She stood inches close to the guy in front of her. Ray let out a sigh and turned, only to find Cameron walking, nearing her.

His eyes were narrowing and his pact fast. And hence he didn't realise that a guy was standing behind Ray. He swung his arm to smack her on her head, but she had already anticipated that move. With a surprised noise, she ducked.

Cameron's hand smacked the guy in front of her, and he turned, a pained expression was evident on his face. Ray cackled. She held a hand to her mouth. As he turned she recognized his familiar features, Jack Davis. His expression was hilarious and before Ray knew it she burst out laughing. She slid down on the floor clenching her stomach. His eyes were narrowed in pain and his mouth held an expression of an 'Ow'.

Ray was laughing her heart out, not caring that Cameron was glaring at her. Jack turned his gaze on her and rolled his eyes,

"I understand you wanted my attention but this isn't the best way to do it, new girl." he said.

Ray rolled her eyes with a light chuckle and finally stopped laughing when looked up at the approaching figures. Luke stood in front of her a smile on his face. He turned his gaze on Jack,

"I doubt that's what she wanted to do." he said, shooting Ray a wink as Angel neared their group and eyed her with surprise evident in his eyes. Jack frowned and turned his gaze on the blonde girl who had approached him.

Ray looked at Cameron and found him shaking his head in amusement. He offered her his hand as he looked at Jack and apologised. She took his hand easily and he pulled her up a whisper ready on his lips,

"I will get back at you, I swear." he said.

Ray rolled her eyes and smirked at him. "No, you won't. You're definitely going to forget." she said, crossing her arms.

Cameron scratched the back of his neck and shrugged his shoulders,

"Can't deny that fact." he said with a cocky smile.

Ray smiled in triumphant. She grinned at him and turned her gaze on Angel, who was looking at her as though trying to figure something out about her. She raised her eyebrows at him,

What?

He narrowed his eyes.

You're weird.

Ray looked him up and down and raised her eyebrows, Look who's talking.

He smirked, Someone you like, and cannot get enough of.

Ray rolled her eyes and made a disgusted expression, I've seen better.

Angel forged hurt.

Their conversation was interrupted by a "Guys, talk, please. You both are freaking us out." Ray heard Cameron saying out loud what everyone felt. Ray glared at Cameron who was faking innocence. But Ray saw right through his mask. He was smirking inside. She flipped him off. But as usual, Cameron forged innocence and hurt. He lay his hands on his chest and portrayed a hurt expression. Ray burned holes in his head as his expression remained the same, teasing.

She groaned in agitation, she absolutely loathed this. She took a deep breath and kept her temper in check. She smiled at him, catching him completely off guard. Ray removed her safe earphones and phone from her jacket's pocket. She put them on and played the music and drowned herself in its rhythm. She smirked at Cameron and waved at the others. Cameron rolled his eyes and followed her as they stalked towards their next class. Physical Education. The encounter was already forgotten.

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

People say smiles worn by ladies, by girls are as beautiful as flowers. They are rare yet when they bloom it is enough to capture someone's heart and breath away. Angel used to believe in this statement until he had met her. Until he had seen her smile, and she smiled like a loaded gun, through which she shot bullets through him, and although they were unintentional they hurt.

He embraced it. She had smiled when Bianca had burnt her, while Angel was busy fuming as anger ran in his veins. Luke had held him back, thankfully. It was her fight, and he was no one to interfere.

Yet, he thought.

His crew had seized every opportunity to tease him about her. He had seen it coming and yet he'd ignored it. He had also seen Ray laughing and whenever he thought of it a tint of amber showed in his hard eyes.

He dragged himself out of his unstoppable thoughts as he got ready for physical education. Putting on his basketball shorts and his sleeveless t-shirt, he walked out with Luke and Jack by his side. He busied himself in their conversation as they talked about the upcoming matches of basketball and Angel's competitions. All of which would be deemed useless considering their probable future.

Girls were whispering amongst themselves as boys walked through the doors. Portraying the devil's picture the boys were involved in their conversations ignoring any usual eye contact. They were greeted by the presence of one of their best players, Cameron Williams, again. He raised two fingers in the air with a light smirk and joined them in their conversation.

Soon the doors were opened again to reveal their rival, Jason Saint. With his looks, Jason was constantly compared to Angel. Jason's blonde hair and his jade eyes to Angel's chocolate brown hair and rare amber eyes. Angel and Jason were the school's most feared rivals. Both of them glared at each other and Jason took a step closer to him. Both of them fought an inward battle, but this was all a small game compared to what he had to deal with outside his school life.

"Boys!" their coach bellowed and beckoned them to join him on the other side of the court. Angel and Jason broke their glares and stalked toward the coach.

"Today we will be practising half court." Mr John Wright said. Soon protests from the boys were heard which he silenced. "Today are the girl's volleyball tryouts, hence the net. You will remain on this side of the court at all times" he said, a warning covered in his tone.

"I want 20 laps right now. Keep your eyes to yourselves or the number for all will be doubled. GO!" he bellowed and all of them ran.

That instant the door open and all the girls stepped in. Few boys whistled and girls blew them kisses and winks. Angel shook his head, he didn't have time for these things for now. He was about to look away when he saw Ray come in. Her hair swayed against her shoulders and there was a crazy glint in her eyes. He smirked and forced himself to look away.

Who knew danger looked so fine.

Jack and Luke came up beside him and Jack said something that caught Angel completely off guard, "Luke has a crush on the blonde besides your girl." he said. Luke's eyes widened and the poor guy almost fell on his face in surprise.

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

Hey Readers!

How was today's chapter?

Please don't forget to vote, comment, like and follow!

-Ruth

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 595 32
April It's hard enough being the most sought after girl in Los Santos. Now, the tempting red head has to run a squad, get her gorl a spot in the gang...
4.6M 107K 31
THIS IS ONE OF MY FIRST BOOKS ON WATTPAD. "Get out", he shouted at me "get out now and never come back" I wiped at the tears that were streaming dow...
122 3 12
Sanity lived most of her afterlife in the underworld, serving the prince as a guard against the divide that separated them from the heavens. All of a...
99.5K 5.3K 15
Ray's world comes crashing down at the young age of 16. Her brother, her protector, gone. Shot and killed. Her mother, her bestfriend. Gone loosing h...