MIST - Shinso x Reader

By WombatSquid

"Dreams, after all, are insubstantial things, like mist itself..." - Stephen King It all began with a storm... More

CHAPTER ONE: Insurance
CHAPTER THREE: Quake
CHAPTER FOUR: Pride
CHAPTER FIVE: Drag
CHAPTER SIX: Unbelievable
CHAPTER SEVEN: The One Person
CHAPTER EIGHT: Let There Be Light

CHAPTER TWO: To Market, To Market

1.1K 105 122
By WombatSquid

"Your bracelet is really pretty." 

Eri was seated in the back of the car, happily chatting to (Y/N) as we drove along. The two had hit it off immediately, which was great, except that meant that I was stuck in the front with Nishiya. 
"Aw, thanks! I made it myself. Hey, once we get back home, how about I make you one, too? We can match!" (Y/N) grinned widely, and I couldn't help but gaze at her in the revision mirror.

"Eyes front." Nishiya warned me with a growl, and I begrudgingly complied, readjusting my hands on the wheel. I could smell the scent of her shampoo as it wafted past me and out my open window, and it was incredibly distracting. 
"Woah, look! Big truck things!" Eri drew our attention to the other side of the road, just as two large armed vehicles flew by, way over the speed limit. 

"Wow, they're in a hurry…" I mused, flinching and moving further to the edge of the road as more began to fly by, seemingly out of nowhere. It was a whole convoy of them, zooming as fast as they could back in the direction we had come from. 
"You heard the rumors about the Yuuei army base, right?" Glancing to Nishiya, I snorted, moving my hands back to ten and two.
"Which ones? There's a list of things they supposedly do up on that mountain. From alien research to international swinger parties." With a short laugh, the man folded his arms and leaned back into his seat, watching the road ahead. 
"Yeah, small town folk, huh?" 

I'm small town folk, you asshole… 

"Toshi, what's a swinger party?" I bit my lip when Eri questioned me, and when I glanced into the review mirror I could see (Y/N) trying not to break into hysterics. 
"Uh, nothing you need to worry about, Squirt. Big people stuff." Of course, I set myself up for a real bash to my ego. The kind that only little sisters were capable of giving. 
"Like the book of pretty ladies with big boobies under your bed?" 

This time, (Y/N) couldn't hold in her laughter, and Nishiya had a bit of a chuckle at my expense. Even Eri started laughing, even though she obviously had no idea what was so funny. 
"Y..yep...just like that…" I sighed, voice having raised a few octaves. "Thanks for sharing that with everyone, Eri…" In the mirror, I could see her smiling happily, eyes closed. 
"You're welcome!" 

I felt relieved once I pulled into the parking lot, including my belt and pocketing my keys before jumping out to get Eri out. Before I had the chance, (Y/N) was already on it, guiding the girl down and setting her on the ground. 
"Oh, uh, thanks." I gave her a smile, and she returned it, which made the tips of my ears grow warm and tingly. Eri glanced between us for a second before making a move to grab my hand at the same time she grabbed (Y/N)'s. 
"Come on, come on! No diggy dabbying!" 

I'm not even going to correct her at this point. 

"Okay okay, hang on, Squirt. I gotta text Ai...Dad, because I forgot to check if we needed milk." I chuckled, digging my phone from my jean pocket. Upon unlocking it, I quickly realised I had no service. "Huh...signal went and died on me." (Y/N) hummed in acknowledgement, her own phone out. 
"Same here...Storm must've fried the tower." 

Nishiya nudged me in the ribs, a little too hard for my liking, and pointed across the road. 
"There's a payphone over there." Well, it would have to do. Looking down at Eri, then back up to the (H/C) girl, I opened my mouth to speak, but yet again she beat me to it.
"Go on. Eri's fine with me, I promise. You okay tagging along with me for a minute, right, sweetie?" 

Eri's nod was enthusiastic, and I likely would have felt a little hurt when she willingly released my hand if it hadn't been in favour for (Y/N)'s. Because same, kid. Same. 
"Alright, thanks. I'll meet you guys in there. Here, Squirt." I handed my sister the shopping list and started over towards the phone box, hands again finding their way into my pockets. 

Who am I kidding? I don't stand a chance with her, just like back then. Especially not now that her brother is eyeballing me like I'm a sack of shit…

Picking the phone up, I placed it to my ear as I moved to slip a few coins in, but I paused the moment I registered that there was no dial tone. 
"Come on, you son of a bitch…" I muttered to myself, jabbing at the switchhook a few more times than actually necessary before giving up. The storm must have fried everything. Hands in their home, I slowly wandered back over towards the market, eyeing a man dressed in full military uniform, helmet included, as he walked out the door. He caught my gaze and gave me a stiff nod. 
"Morning." 

Nodding back, I just kind of blinked before keeping on my way, catching the door before it clicked shut again. 
"Woah, busy already, huh?" I stopped beside the third register, and the round-faced checkout girl hummed as she bagged groceries.
"Sure is! That storm really gave everyone a scare, so they're stocking up in case of round two!" She laughed, exchanging cash for a receipt. 
"Thank you, Ochako, dear." The elderly woman cooed before shuffling off.

"I'm just glad nobody got hurt." Glancing to the side, I saw another one of my old classmates approach us, brushing at his unruly green hair. That was yet another rumour in the town. If you don't get out before you hit your twenties, you're cursed to live there forever. 
"Midoriya." I nodded in greeting. "Yeah, looks like it was mostly property damage. We had a few trees get a little too close. Studio got completely wiped out, so did Eri's cubby." 

Midoriya frowned as he slipped into his own register bay, removing the closed sign from the front. 
"I'm so sorry! If you guys need any help, let me know. I'm off tomorrow, so I'm happy to drop by and give you guys a hand." Typical Midoriya. Always wanting to lend a hand. 
"Thanks, man. I appreciate it." Tipping my imaginary hat, I left in search of my sister and her temporary keeper, easily locating them in the second aisle. 

Glancing into the cart as I approached, I rolled my eyes. 
"Squirt, you can pick one box of cereal. One. What even is this crap, anyway?" Picking up a box, I squinted due to the stupidly bright packaging. "Sugar Rush...now with forty percent more...rush..? This kind of junk will rot your teeth. Do you want them to all fall outta your head?" Eri pouted as I began to return most of the boxes to the shelf, but luckily didn't choose to throw a tantrum. 

"Awww, come on, Mr. Straighty One-eighty! Let the kid have something sweet." (Y/N) turned on me, giving a light punch to my shoulder. "She's had a rough day. She deserves a treat." Hell, there was no arguing with her, and it looked like she knew it. Begrudgingly, I slowly put a packet of Choco Puffs back into the cart, pursing my lips. 
"Yay! Thanks, (Y/N)! You should totally marry Toshi so you can help me get cool stuff all the time!" Eri clapped her hands together, and I nearly sunk into the floor from pure embarrassment. 

"Oh? Should I? Well, I do think his hair is kinda cute…" (Y/N) began to study me closely with a hand to her chin, and I just knew my face was as red as a tomato. "Reminds me of those troll dolls! I loved those when I was your age!" 

Why was I born? 

Sulking, and lowkey wanting to perish, I continued on through the store, grabbing what we needed and listening to Eri and (Y/N) chat about this and that, until we met back up with Nishiya by the checkout que. 
"Thanks again for the lift." He mumbled to me, glancing past to make sure our sisters were both distracted. "But back off from her. She's not interested. She doesn't even live here." 

Taken aback, my eyes narrowed, and I felt quite threatened by his sudden topic change. 
"I'm aware…" I whispered back, shifting away a few inches. He was her brother, so I understood why he was being protective, but had I done anything even remotely pervy or flirty? Not in my books. I knew well and good that (Y/N) was out of my league, and Nishiya was likely just trying to find a reason to antagonize me. 

"Oh, Shinso, Nishiya! Dears, how are you two holding up after the storm?" Our attention was grabbed and we turned, forgetting our little moment once we realised who it was. 
"Could've been worse. How about you, Mrs. Shuzenji?" My neighbour replied, shifting his basket from one arm to the other. The little old lady waved him off with a smug laugh, shuffling forward a few inches as the line moved. 
"Son, I've seen many'a storms in my days. Nothing to get all crazy about. Even the military dogs are rattled, tch!" She scoffed, and I hummed in agreement as I leaned low upon the handle of my cart, kind of eyeing the uniformed men and woman across the store.
"Mmhmm, tell that to all these lunatics."

Was one hell of a storm, though...So much lightning… 

"It was a sign." I didn't need to be looking at anybody to feel the collective rolling of eyes once we heard that voice. Mine almost rolled all the way back into my skull. "The end of days. The world is going to burn, and you will all suffer!" We could all tell who it was before laying eyes upon him, so nobody was surprised to see Monoma Neito hovering close by. Some called him troubled, but I just called him batshit crazy. 

"Boy, if I want a sermon, I'll go to church." Mrs. Shuzenji snapped, shooing him away with a flick of her wrist. Nobody took him seriously. Ever since early school days, he'd been one to obsess. First it was matchbox cars, then it was school rivalry, and now it had turned into religion, if it could even be called that. That in itself was fine, but not when he was shoving it down people's throats and spewing apocalyptic tripe. He'd read some articles online, and boom, he was hilt deep in some cultist bullshit.

Offended, the blond, thankfully, chose to skitter away, and I gained a whole new respect for the rickety old woman. 
"Hey, Toshi, can (Y/N) come over later? She said she'd teach me how to make bracelets!" Eri tugged on my shirt, and (Y/N) leaned over a little. 
"If that's okay with you, Toshi." She added with a laugh, nearly making me pass out with how my nickname sounded in her voice. 
"S..sure...why no-"

"SOMETHING IN THE MIST! TH..THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIST, AND IT GOT-" 

.
.
.
.
.
.
***Oop, who'd it get?

The character Monoma is being used for is scarily religious in the film, but I didn't want to offend anybody who follows that particular faith, so I'm going to make up some weird doomsday cult stuff.

Next time: Rolling in***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 23 6
You and Shinsou have been best friends since elementary school, you suddenly left without saying goodbye. You make it in to the hero course of UA hig...
79.8K 3.9K 39
𝕊𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕞𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝕄𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕤: 𝔸 𝕡𝕙𝕖𝕟𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕠𝕟 𝕣𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝕢𝕦𝕚𝕣𝕜𝕤. "You should still come over...but leave your tools. I'm not a...
208K 7.1K 51
Y/N L/N and Hitoshi Shinso have known each other since before they could walk. They were supposed to be friends, seeing as their mothers were the bes...
31.3K 994 19
━━━━━━ "you're fine as fuck!" completed. fluff. possible angst. smut. chat-fic. crack. ༉‧₊˚✧