The Dead Awakened

By Jenevieve1350

What is the world expected to do when suddenly a massive, worldwide epidemic hits the Earth, wiping out over... More

Intro
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

22 2 5
By Jenevieve1350

Raven was distrought. She didn't know what to think of any of this. "Raven! Pack your stuff, and get the kids. Were getting the hell out of here.", her husband's voice rang in her head. So many questions were running through her mind. Where did they even need to go in a situation like this? Were there any refugee centers? If so, how were they supposed to know where? Running to their 4-year-old daughter, Zoey's room, Raven quickly threw open the door, startling the tot who was rudely awakened from her nap. Rubbing her eyes and whining, Zoey looked confused. Mommy never woke her up from her nap like this.

Quickly grabbing Zoey out of her crib, Raven hurried to the door to go get her son. "Patches!!" Zoey whined, pointing her tiny finger at the stuffed bear lying in her crib. Raven sighed impatiently, yanking the bear out of the crib and giving it to Zoey. There was no time to waste. Quickly going to the bedroom next to Zoey's, Raven opened the door of 9-year-old Niles' bedroom to find him sprawled out on the floor, playing his nintendo. "Niles, baby, come with Mommy. We're going to leave here for a little bit." Raven said, trying to sound as comforting as she could without frightening him. "Okay.." Niles said, confusion coming over his face. He slowly got up from his floor, closed his nintendo, and joined his mother and sister.

After about an hour of packing suitcases and some supplies that they knew they would need, the Bryant family was about ready to leave. Daniel grabbed the keys to their SUV, which really belonged to Raven. "I think I'll need to be driving this time." Daniel said to Raven. "Definitely.." Raven said, fear covering her face. Both Daniel and Raven knew they needed to leave soon, before the dead hit their neighborhood, which they both thought might of already happened. They weren't even sure.

"Okay, now listen to me closely.", Daniel said to Raven, who was holding little Zoey in her arms and had Niles by the hand. "When I open this door, you run to the car. Don't even think about anything else. Get in that car, and lock it. I've got to get the luggage and stuff. Don't worry about me though, I got this." Raven gave him a nod, trying to block out the noise from Zoey crying, and Niles asking numerious questions at once. "You can do this Raven, stay calm, and you CAN do this." She forced herself to say.  "Alright. Ready?" Daniel said, putting the key into the front door, not knowing what was on the other side. "GO!", Daniel said, shoving the door open.

Raven, who couldn't exactly run when she had two kids to bring with her, went as fast as possible, looking in all directions. To her surprise, she didn't see anything that looked off. It just looked like a normal night in their little neighborhood. But, she listened to Daniel and hurriedly got her and the kids settled in the car, locking the doors. It had been about six minutes before Raven started to worry where Daniel was. Daniel, who at this point couldn't even predict what was going to happen to his little family, tried to calm himself. He took a deep breath, picked up two backpacks filled with a bag of trailmix, a couple cans of pears, 2 sticks of beef jerky, some clothes, and some blankets.

Making sure that his pistol was in his waist belt, Daniel opened the front door. The sight that he witnessed was the unthinkable. Raven and the kids, who were thankfully in the car, had the biggest look of fear in their faces. Daniel couldn't figure out what was wrong, until he followed their gazes. All the way down on one side of the street, you could faintly see a horde of zombies coming their way. They were walking slow, so it wasn't a huge threat, but it still startled the Bryant family, as it was their first time to witness anything of this sort.

"Oh shit.", Daniel thought to himself. He ran as fast as he could, while Raven unlocked the car doors for him. He threw open the back car door, layed the backpacks in the storage compartment, slammed it closed, and ran to the driver's side. As he opened the door, Raven was repeatedly saying "Daniel Hurry up. Hurry UP! They're coming!". Daniel gave her a Calm-down-don't-scare-the-kids look. She just put her face in her hands and stopped talking, trying to calm herself. As Daniel started up their red SUV, he slowly pulled out of their driveway.

As they were about to head down the road, definitely the opposite way of those zombies coming, the kids were both asking questions like, "Where are we going Mommy?", and "Daddy, Why are we leaving?". Daniel stopped at the end of the driveway. Both him and Raven sat and stared at their little home. They had lived in it for almost eight years, and having a feeling that they might never see it again was definitely unsettling to them. Tears forming in his eyes, Daniel suddenly snapped back to reality. He had to be strong for his family, his face changing from utter sadness to determined. "Let's go." He said, pulling out of the driveway, and never looking back.

Continue Reading