𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐀 𝐖𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐍 | | 1...

By vielitteraire0

'ˢʰᵉ ˡᵒᵒᵏᵉᵈ ᵃᵗ ʰᵉʳ ᵒʷⁿ ʳᵉᶠˡᵉᶜᵗⁱᵒⁿ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐⁱʳʳᵒʳ. ᴵⁿᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵒˢᵉ ʰᵃᶻᵉˡ ᵉʸᵉˢ. ˢʰᵉ ᵏⁿᵉʷ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ᵖᵉʳˢᵒⁿ ᵇᵉʰⁱⁿᵈ ᵗʰᵉᵐ... More

><
| Prologue |
1. A FOREIGN SOLDIER
2. GERMAN BULLETS
3. I'M GOING THERE
4. JUST ME
5. STAY
6. THE FRENCH GIRL
7. THE SILENCE
9. I DON'T KNOW
10. ANYWAY
11. MAGNIFIQUE
12. ÉCOUST
13. THE PISTOL
14. DEFEATED
15. A FOREIGN NURSE
16. THOUGHTS
17. ANDRÉ
18. WORDS OF REGRET
19. HOME
20. A PROMISE
21. MAMAN
22. THE NEWSPAPER
23. PICTURES
24. PARIS
25. HIM
26. I'LL DO IT
27. THE STOPWATCH
28. THE SONG
29. WEATHER
30. A LETTER
31. AGNÈS AND EVA
32. SOMEONE
33. THE REAL REASON
34. ARE YOU COLD?
35. FIND ME
36. THE TEACUP
37. ANYONE ELSE
38. TO TRY
new story !

8. TO YOU

2.4K 74 8
By vielitteraire0

" If it still makes you cry- it still matters. "

-

APRIL 11th
1917
The Second Battalion

-

WILLIAM CAME BY the next day. The sun was high up on the sky as Jo stood by her table, nervously fiddling with over sanitized medical applies. Baskets full of bandages and other cloths lying by her shuffling feet. In her hands were papers. Letters.

They had been demolished after being in her front pocket for too many days and though her greatest attempt; she couldn't get the blood and mud stains away. One in particular.

It wasn't much of a letter, but it was from her mother. She had received it a couple of weeks ago and it was enough for her to depend upon it.

Containing slight distant greetings from home and some more unimportant notes- she still clung on to every word. There was nothing about André, and although that fact was mostly given, she still chose to ignore that part.

She was far into her own thoughts when the sounds of steps in front of her disturbed the silence. She automatically looked up at Will's blue eyes- staring at him a little too long.

"William."

Everything about him was the same, even his uniform remained cluttered in the same stains as yesterday. As though he was regretting his decision to come there- his shoulders rose at her voice.

"Hello," the corner of his lips twitching as he spoke, quickly taking off his helmet and holding it tightly against his abdomen- leaving Jo slightly bewildered by his manners.

"Ça va?" she asked, her voice peaking slightly as she took a step forward. Fixing and flattening it out her apron casually.

"I'm... well," he answered and she nodded.

"Good."

He smiled to himself when her eyes left him. Watching as she picked up a small flask containing a copper-like liquid, as well as a cloth. He supposed it was alcohol and he had already begun unconsciously clenching his jaw in preparation.

He took his time, sitting down at the medical bed closest to him waiting. She turned around and walked to him, hesitating before carefully brushing away his hair and observing the small jack that had been hooked beneath his hairline. Her eyes left his skin and went to spill a small amount of the same liquid on the light cloth.

"This might sting."

Will looked up at her and nodded slightly.

It did sting. He felt his teeth grit even harder and lips pressed together. Like salt in a wound, yet not bad enough for him to say anything about it.

Jo let go of the cloth and let out a breath. She stared at William and he noticed her being still.

She knew she needed to say something. Something that actually meant something. It was not like they just met.

"I just thought that-," she stopped herself and pressed her lips tightly together, looking up to avoid those eyes of his, knowing that she would admit too much.

"I just thought I'd say thank you."

Will opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. He knew what she was talking about. And he remembered all of it too.

"It's alright," he mumbled. "It's- good."

He closed his mouth and smiled a small smile. A genuine one that was enough for Jo's heart to lighten just so slightly.

No more words from her came after that. Yet there wasn't any need. Everything was kept in her eyes, and somehow- he knew.

"Do- would you mind if I wrote to you?" he then suddenly asked bluntly. Jo blinked and had a stumbled look on her face. "When you're being moved, I mean."

He stared at her and it didn't make sense. At least not there and then. Jo could only stare at him.

"Alright then," she then said, rather quickly, as surprised by his words as Will himself.

He felt his chest filling with air and his shoulders relaxing. Why was the thought of it so comforting?

She was just a girl.

"Do you have any other wounds, William?"

He noticed her speaking his name. Cleanly rolling off her tongue. Sounding soft, and kind coming from her, yet unfamiliar.

"Nothing... serious, no."

The nurse nodded and looked over to her side for a second. The sun was shining through the light material covering the ceiling, revealing the light blue sky.

"Where are you from?" she then asked, not knowing anything else to bring up.

Will thought for a second. He adjusted his helmet in his hands restlessly. "It's a small town called Burford," he answered. "And you, miss?"

Jo turned abruptly towards the soldier, her eyes shifting.

"It's Josephine to you, or Jo. Whatever you prefer."

He blinked.
"Where do you come from... Josephine?" he asked.

Her cheeks rounded as she smiled slightly. She was aware of her facial state- wondering if it all was for show.

"I grew up in Lyon. It's a city southeast from here." She thought back on the memories of living in the beautiful city. She dearly missed it.

William didn't know about it, but something about the fact that she said it made him think it must be the most wondrous place upon the earth. Her home. He'd try to see it one day.

"Sounds lovely," he said, admiring her smiling face. Somehow drawn to it and unable to let her hazel eyes leave his.

"It is."

Will shifted in his seat.

"How is your family back home?" Jo then asked him.

He froze for a second. The word, being unfamiliar after such a long period. That he even had a family. Of course, he did. He just couldn't bring himself to think about them and still be in his position. He couldn't serve in a war knowing that he had to come home to his mothers, to his siblings. It would be too much for him. Therefore he blocked that part of his life out as soon as his helmet was placed upon his head. As soon as he entered the battlefield. Out there he couldn't be a son, a friend, or a brother. He had to be a soldier.

Their pictures, notes, and letters were placed in a metal box. Small enough to fit on the inside of his uniform, yet enough to give him the hope back when everything was as terrific as it was.
When the helmet was off and when the bullets had stopped coming, he would look at the pictures of his family. His two younger sisters and his mother. Always finding himself turning the paper and reading what was on the other side.

Come back.

Will looked back at the girl.
"I live in my parents house... and I have two sisters."

She looked up at him.
"I always wanted to have a sister," she snickered quietly. "I had two older brothers instead."

Will noticed the 'had', but didn't ask about it.
Those words couldn't be an accident, could it?

And then- silence.

She glanced away, not knowing if she was uncomfortable or the opposite. He had his ways of making you open up. Just by standing there. Dangerous ways.

"Do you have anyone waiting for you back home?" William spoke before had time to rethink his choice of words.

Jo froze, more than a little startled.
Knowing that his words came a little bit too nonchalantly for it to simply brush past her ears.

"I suppose not," her face suppressed the confusion building up inside. Did he mean to tell her something?

William looked away and wanted to mentally slap himself in the face. What kind of a question was that? He got the answer he was looking for but felt slightly annoyed by his eager self to know.

Jo wondered if she would ask him the same, but decided against it.

Wondering if she would mind if he did have someone.

Something about it told her she would.
____

Hello dear friends ;)
Thank you for reading! Please comment your thoughts and ideas. They do help a lot!

Have an amazing day, you deserve it,
/connie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.2K 1K 50
Dear the family of Lance Corporal Blake...
26.7K 1.4K 16
Long nights lead to longer dreams.    ━━━━━ 1917 universe.    oc x schofield. © emma, 2020
208 13 7
It's the year 1917 and 2 british soldiers; Tom Blake and William Schofield are sent on a mission to deliver an important message. 1600 lives are at s...
139K 7.1K 46
Against the backdrop of the First World War, a young soldier tries to forget his past and survive each day. Back in England, a young woman who has ma...