Illusion: Destiny Awaits (In...

By LivinFaith

Two girls, two Soul Animals, and one magical, mysterious world. Christi and Sabrina have been best friends... More

Authors' Note
Prologue
1 - Sabrina
1 - Christi
2 - Sabrina
2 - Christi
3 - Sabrina
3 - Christi
4 - Sabrina
4 - Christi
5 - Sabrina
5 - Christi
6 - Sabrina
6 - Christi
7 - Sabrina
7 - Christi
8 - Sabrina
8 - Christi
9 - Sabrina
9 - Christi
10 - Sabrina
10 - Christi
11 - Sabrina
11 - Christi
12 - Sabrina
12 - Christi
13 - Sabrina
13 - Christi
14 - Sabrina
14 - Christi
15 - Sabrina
15 - Christi
16 - Sabrina
16 - Christi
17 - Sabrina
17 - Christi
18 - Sabrina
18 - Christi
19 - Sabrina
19 - Christi
20 - Sabrina
21 - Sabrina
21 - Christi
Mini Epilogue - After the Battle

20 - Christi

0 0 0
By LivinFaith

I look in bewilderment around to see the faces of many Soul Animals, gathered around Sateen Klenot, the gemstone Skifter said held the life of Klenouzlo in it. I look back at Kase, who is still holding his hands up in either an attempt to scare the Soul Animals away or to surrender, or to fight. Not sure which one at the moment.

Sabrina gives me a look. I just shrug. I mean, we know Kase was evil and all, but, him to... turn a new leaf? It seems weird. I'm getting a feeling of trust in my heart though, and I'm not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Skifter slowly approaches Kase. He flies all around him, inspecting every inch and every single attribute about him. Skifter's face is etched with concern, a kind of concern that is only found when one does not trust another.

Like how I decided that Kase was not to be trusted.

And now, I can't make up my mind.

I stay still as Skifter continues to scrutinize Kase.

Sabrina comes and stands next to me.

"Do you trust him, do you think he's telling the truth?" she asks quietly.

"I mean, I don't know. My mind is in multiple places right now. I mean, he betrayed us, put us in another prison. Are we really ready to trust him now?"

"Well..." Sabrina starts, "As much as I think it is odd, I think he really has changed. Everyone changes Christi, and we have to accept that."

I nod. "True, but... I dunno. I'm still making up a decision.

"It's okay. The war isn't being fought between him and us. It's being fought between them." She nods towards both the Soul Animals and Kase.

"Agreed," I answer.

After a few more moments of multiple Soul Animals observing Kase, a hummingbird flies up to Kase.

"Hello, I am Kaidri. And what is your name, son?"

In my head, I think to myself, Wow, motherly to a traitor. Soul Animals sure do have heart.

And why wouldn't they?

Before I can get too lost in my thoughts, I snap my attention back to Kase and Kaidri.

"My name is Cody," he answers.

Sabrina raises her eyebrows (really high) at me.

"Hmmmm..." Kaidri says. "Why have you come?"

"I come from Zaroho." A wave of gasps and murmurs washes over the crowd of Soul Animals.

"But like I said, I'm not who you think I am. I... escaped here. I want to destroy him too."

"I don't believe you," Kaidri comments after a moment's silence.

"It's true. You won't believe the story that goes with it."

"We probably won't. But why don't you intrigue us anyway? Why do you really come?"

"Well," Kase (or Cody as he calls himself) says, "I used to work as an general in his army. He actually showed kindness to me when I was younger. I was abandoned by my family when I was young, and he was the first person to show me any love. I grew up in his prison. I learned everything from him. But after our two latest prisoners—" he motions to Sabrina and me. "—escaped, Zaroho put the blame on me. At first, all I thought he would do was hit me with the spare belt he always kept hanging in his room, but he did far much worse. He..." Kase stops there, trailing off. I gaze at him slowly. Tears run down his eyes swiftly.

"Well? Come on boy, spit it out," a member from the Owl clan remarks."

Kase sniffles, but quickly collects himself. He continues his story.

"So... Zaroho, did whip me, multiple times. I have scars to show." I expect him to continue talking and telling his story, but he thinks it's a good idea to play preschool again. Not just tell, but show to.

Kase lifts up his shirt. On his back, numerous scars line his muscles and bones. I cover my eyes. I have two reasons why.

The scars look pretty bad.

KASE IS SHIRTLESS RIGHT NOW! NO WAY AM I LOOKING!

I catch a glimpse at Sabrina. Her eyes are wide open.

"Sabrina!" I scold.

"What!? I was just looking at the damage Zaroho can do!"

I roll my eyes. "Oh yeah, that's the only reason why?"

"Yes!" she answers, but I can see her cheeks flare up in embarrassment.

"Oh, Sabrina, you really are insane."

Thankfully, to stop my refusal to look and Sabrina's refusal to admit defeat and embarrassment, Kaidri interrupts.

"Well, Cody, let's not get everyone distracted by looking at your bare torso, shall we?" She violently yanks his shirt back down.

Then she gives Sabrina a look. Sabrina blushes more.

"Of course," Kase concludes. He finishes up his story. "So, as I was saying, after Zaroho hit me and left all those scars... hey, you all saw the scars, right?" He starts to lift his shirt up again without an answer. I cover my eyes again. But peek them open again when I hear no gasps.

Kaidri is glaring straight at Kase.

"Cody, that's all right. We all saw your scars. In fact, we've seen enough. No, not just enough, too much! So please... enough with being shirtless for once! That's an order! Get on with the story!"

Surprisingly, Kase doesn't blush. He sighs. Either he really wants everyone to see the damage Zaroho can do, or he really likes being shirtless. I hope it's the first one.

"So, after Zaroho hurt me, he went after my family next. In the early years of my life, I thought I didn't have family. It turns out my parents and little sister were murdered when I was young. That was before Zaroho had found me and raised me. But anyway, I thought I was all alone. But I actually had family! My cousins and aunts and uncles were still alive! And I found out, I had another little sister. But the happiness didn't last long. Because they were Zaroho's next targets to lash his anger out on.

"I didn't get to them fast enough. When I finally found them, they were tied to poles, gashes in their faces, sides and basically everywhere. Their heads were down, and they were drooping. All but my little sister were there. After staring at them for a while, I realized that they were dead. There was nothing I could do to save them. At first, I thought my little sister was safe, since she had not been there with the rest of them. But as I was walking along the road, I found her, a knife stabbed into her little chest. I only got to meet her once." Kase stops.

I hear sniffles behind me. Sabrina.

"Oh, stop being so emotional," I hiss to her. She nods, wiping her eyes.

"So I tried to find someone who could stop Zaroho for good. I will never forgive him for what he has done to my family. I am forever to have one goal. To destroy Zaroho for all the damage he has caused. And if you allow me to, I would like to join you, so I can help you stop him."

Since Kase is no longer speaking, the crowd erupts into whispers and chatter.

Kaidri breaks the rising noise.

"But why have you come, if Zaroho was your family too?"

Kase puts on a grim facial expression.

"Family does not kill family." This triggers something through the hearts of all the Soul Animals. They nod approvingly.

Kaidri nods as well. After leaving to talk to other Soul Animals, she comes to the center of the Circle of Friedania, and makes an announcement.

"Cody, who has come from Zaroho to avenge his family, may stay in Klenouzlo with us!"

A roar (of both approval and disapproval) erupts from the crowd.

"Kalana, Lyra. Please prepare a room for our new friend." The hummingbird, Kalana, nods enthusiastically. Lyra, however, the owl, gives Kaidri a warning look before dashing down the hall after Kalana.

"Everyone is dismissed!" Kaidri shouts, which is followed by a bustle of animals back to their clan doors.

Sabrina and I share a look.

I'm still pretty shocked after what Kase just told us. Or is he Cody now? Has he lied to the Soul Animals?

Sabrina seems to sense what I am thinking.

It's time for secrets to be revealed.

"Kase!" I call, racing after him as he makes his way down the hallway.

He turns around. "Yeah?" he answers.

"Uh..." I start, glancing at Sabrina. She nods. "We need to talk to you."

"Okay!" he says cheerfully.

"Well, do you know where your room is?"

He nods. "Yeah, just down the hall." He motions us to come, and we follow him into a room somewhat like mine and Sabrina's but more... Stereotypical boy-like.

"My room," he says, spreading his arms wide.

Then, he sits on his bed. Sabrina and I sit on the carpet next to the bed.

"Well, Kase, we were wondering..."

"Yes..." he prompts.

"Um... why did you lie to the Soul Animals?"

"What?!? I didn't lie!"

Sabrina stands up. "Uh, yeah you did. We both know for a fact that your name isn't Cody, you weren't abandoned by your parents and your family was not stabbed to death."

"Why are you cornering me?"

"We're not cornering you, we just need answers from you."

"Oh really," Kase responds.

"Yeah, so could you please tell us, why were you lying?" I stare him down with my icy olive-green eyes.

"I promise you I told the truth."

Sabrina and I give him a look.

"Okay, I know you've never heard the name Cody before, but it actually is my real name. Kase is actually my nickname from years ago. When Zaroho found me, he also found out that everyone called me Kase. He also chose to call me Kase, and the name just stuck everywhere I went. You can still call me Kase if you want," he finishes.

"And what about your story?" I ask, still wary of his truthful abilities.

"I know, it was sooo sad!" Sabrina erupts out.

Kase and I stare at her.

"Continue on," she says.

"Well, it is true. I have records to prove it, but they are back in Zaroho's lair."

"And how did you get the nickname 'Kase?' "

Kase seems flustered.

Almost immediately after, a hummingbird, Kalana, flies in with a platter of chocolates grasped between her beak.

"Chocolates from Belgium. We have dark, milk, and white."

Sabrina screams.

She points accusingly at the white chocolate truffles. "INSULT TO CHOCOLATE!"

I sigh.

"Sorry... uh, Kalana. I'll eat the white chocolate. Sabrina will eat the milk."

Kalana sets the plate down on Kase's bedside table, and leaves us alone.

I grab a few white and dark chocolates and motion to Sabrina that it's time to go.

She nods and grabs the rest of them.

As we walk out of Kase's room, both Sabrina and I take one last glance at him.

"Hey, you wanna meet up in my room?" I ask her. "We can... talk more about Kase there."

"Sure!" she says.

After finally eating all the chocolates in our hands, I open my door to Sabrina. We go in and plop down next to the bookcase where many pillows, blankets, and cushions sit.

I notice that on my bedside table, more chocolates sit.

"OOH! CHOCOLATES!" Sabrina jumps up and down, then dashes towards the plate.

"Woah, woah, woah. Sabrina, don't eat them all." But before I can say another word, she has already eaten all of the milk chocolates on the plate.

I sigh, on account of Sabrina being crazy about chocolate now, and also because cupcakes have appeared next to the chocolates and Sabrina ought to notice them any second now.

I clear my throat very loudly.

"We have more better things to discuss Sabrina. Come on!"

"Oh, fine." She stuffs a few more chocolates into her mouth.

I settle down onto one of the cushions. "So... do you think Kase was telling the truth?"

Sabrina swallows. "Uh... well, he has betrayed us, but I think he is. He seems less, fake. You think?"

"I guess so..." I say, even though I'm still indecisive.

"But the question is..." Sabrina says, "not do we trust Kase, but rather, can he help us defeat Zaroho once and for all?"

"Yes, he can."

It is about time I found trust in someone again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4 0 15
I'd choose the devil I know over the heaven I don't. -Colorado, Renee Rapp Max is pissed. Just when she thought she and her friends would finally van...
868 308 22
Brandy is kidnapped by the terrifying ghost queen from her grandfather's fairytales. Now it's up to Bailey a boy who thought he was too old for fairy...
201 35 7
As Crazy as it is, no matter what it is. This is the new generation. Can you survive this cruel, unreal world? Nothing here makes sense quite well, s...
49.5K 6.6K 48
My body sank down as water ran into my body through my nostrils and mouth. I hanged on, keeping my eyes open and hoping for a miracle. A glowing form...